Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2023 14:48:16 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Highway 580
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Thu, 2 Mar 2023 22:48 UTC

Today was "really stupid driver" day. Speeders on the freeway caused a wreck on the freeway that spun macross all four lanes.; Only the commuter (fast) lane and the slow lane with the wreck in it were blocked. But everyone decided that they were in a hurry and so took Dublin Grade, the frontage road for the freeway. This was absolutely the dumbest move possible. Where the traffic was backing up was 5 miles from Pleasanton. If you stayed on the Freeway or got on it there at Eden Canyon Rd. where a lot of traffic was exiting it would have been a 10 minute delay to a completely open freeway. 5 miles on the frontage road bumper to bumper with a VERY fast light at the end of it meant that they gained themselves a 2 or more hour delay just on Dublin Grade. With the very jammed traffic into Dublin and Pleasanton they can probably expect to get home about 8 o'clock tonight after starting home at 1 pm.

These massive traffic accidents are caused by speeding and the inability to control a vehicle even at safe speeds. The Highway Patrol do virtually nothing about this. There isn't a single freeway in the bay area where you couldn't find someone speeding 20 to 35 mph over the speed limit, catching up to traffic and then spinning around the other traffic lanes that are normally pretty full.

Were they to put the traffic fines into the Highway Patrol or local police funds you would probably see massive changes in the way the police act.

As a bicyclist I had a great advantage until people started pulling U-turns through the bike lane as I was approaching 25 mph in the bike lane.

The moral of the story is that the police won't do the right thing unless the citizen do the right thing by them.

Re: Highway 580

<ttrk53$ear6$7@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=76728&group=rec.bicycles.tech#76728

From: frkry...@sbcglobal.net (Frank Krygowski)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Highway 580
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2023 20:56:50 -0500
 by: Frank Krygowski - Fri, 3 Mar 2023 01:56 UTC

On 3/2/2023 5:48 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:

> These massive traffic accidents are caused by speeding and the inability to control a vehicle even at safe speeds. The Highway Patrol do virtually nothing about this. There isn't a single freeway in the bay area where you couldn't find someone speeding 20 to 35 mph over the speed limit, catching up to traffic and then spinning around the other traffic lanes that are normally pretty full.

In some countries, speed cameras are quite effective. They greatly
reduced speeding and crashes on the city-center freeway near me, until
the party controlling state government passed laws to dissuade their use.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Re: Highway 580

<DqjML.1372251$gs1.230192@fx15.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=76774&group=rec.bicycles.tech#76774

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
From: rog...@sarlet.com (Roger Meriman)
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2023 09:51:31 GMT
 by: Roger Meriman - Fri, 3 Mar 2023 09:51 UTC

Frank Krygowski <frkrygow@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 3/2/2023 5:48 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
>>
>> These massive traffic accidents are caused by speeding and the inability
>> to control a vehicle even at safe speeds. The Highway Patrol do
>> virtually nothing about this. There isn't a single freeway in the bay
>> area where you couldn't find someone speeding 20 to 35 mph over the
>> speed limit, catching up to traffic and then spinning around the other
>> traffic lanes that are normally pretty full.
>
> In some countries, speed cameras are quite effective. They greatly
> reduced speeding and crashes on the city-center freeway near me, until
> the party controlling state government passed laws to dissuade their use.

I’ve personally found average speed cameras work the best as folks don’t
slam on the brakes and then accelerate.

Roger Merriman

Re: Highway 580

<84fa24d2-2c44-4a1c-9292-07fc51c01fd0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=76890&group=rec.bicycles.tech#76890

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2023 14:36:03 -0800 (PST)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Fri, 3 Mar 2023 22:36 UTC

On Friday, March 3, 2023 at 1:51:34 AM UTC-8, Roger Meriman wrote:
> Frank Krygowski <frkr...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> > On 3/2/2023 5:48 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> >>
> >> These massive traffic accidents are caused by speeding and the inability
> >> to control a vehicle even at safe speeds. The Highway Patrol do
> >> virtually nothing about this. There isn't a single freeway in the bay
> >> area where you couldn't find someone speeding 20 to 35 mph over the
> >> speed limit, catching up to traffic and then spinning around the other
> >> traffic lanes that are normally pretty full.
> >
> > In some countries, speed cameras are quite effective. They greatly
> > reduced speeding and crashes on the city-center freeway near me, until
> > the party controlling state government passed laws to dissuade their use.
> >
> I’ve personally found average speed cameras work the best as folks don’t
> slam on the brakes and then accelerate.
>
> Roger Merriman

Ask yourself why there are large blocks of traffic far from any freeway entrance or exit. It is because the psychosis of many people that they absolutely MUST catch a car that is in front of them. So when they catch and pass someone the next group is far ahead and the only limiting factor is the fear of the highway patrol which no longer works in California because judges throw out all traffic charges as a waste of their time.

What time? What are they being paid for. I was on a jury when some cold blooded murderer could see his shooting while black story wasn't going well so he retracted his not guilty for murder 1 and the F-ing judge gave him a guilty on Murder 3!!!!! Even his "witness" said she saw him kill the victim for his $50.'