The program isn't debugged until the last user is dead.

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Long distance derailleur diagnosis

SubjectAuthor
* Long distance derailleur diagnosisFrank Krygowski
+* Re: Long distance derailleur diagnosisCatrike Rider
|+* Re: Long distance derailleur diagnosisfunkma...@hotmail.com
||`* Re: Long distance derailleur diagnosisCatrike Rider
|| `* Re: Long distance derailleur diagnosisfunkma...@hotmail.com
||  `* Re: Long distance derailleur diagnosisCatrike Rider
||   +* Re: Long distance derailleur diagnosisTom Kunich
||   |`- Re: Long distance derailleur diagnosisfunkma...@hotmail.com
||   `* Re: Long distance derailleur diagnosisfunkma...@hotmail.com
||    +- Re: Long distance derailleur diagnosisCatrike Rider
||    `* Re: Long distance derailleur diagnosisFrank Krygowski
||     `* Re: Long distance derailleur diagnosisCatrike Rider
||      +* Re: Long distance derailleur diagnosisfunkma...@hotmail.com
||      |`* Re: Long distance derailleur diagnosisCatrike Rider
||      | `* Re: Long distance derailleur diagnosisTom Kunich
||      |  `- Re: Long distance derailleur diagnosisfunkma...@hotmail.com
||      `* Re: Long distance derailleur diagnosisTom Kunich
||       +- Re: Long distance derailleur diagnosisCatrike Rider
||       `* Re: Long distance derailleur diagnosisFrank Krygowski
||        `* Re: Long distance derailleur diagnosisCatrike Rider
||         +* Re: Long distance derailleur diagnosisTom Kunich
||         |`- Re: Long distance derailleur diagnosisCatrike Rider
||         `* Re: Long distance derailleur diagnosisRoger Meriman
||          `* Re: Long distance derailleur diagnosisCatrike Rider
||           `* Re: Long distance derailleur diagnosisRoger Meriman
||            +- Re: Long distance derailleur diagnosisCatrike Rider
||            `* Re: Long distance derailleur diagnosisLou Holtman
||             +- Re: Long distance derailleur diagnosisCatrike Rider
||             +* Re: Long distance derailleur diagnosisTom Kunich
||             |`- Re: Long distance derailleur diagnosisfunkma...@hotmail.com
||             `* Re: Long distance derailleur diagnosisFrank Krygowski
||              `* Re: Long distance derailleur diagnosisCatrike Rider
||               `- Re: Long distance derailleur diagnosisTom Kunich
|`* Re: Long distance derailleur diagnosisTom Kunich
| `* Re: Long distance derailleur diagnosisfunkma...@hotmail.com
|  `- Re: Long distance derailleur diagnosisFrank Krygowski
`* Re: Long distance derailleur diagnosisRoger Meriman
 `* Re: Long distance derailleur diagnosisFrank Krygowski
  +* Re: Long distance derailleur diagnosisCatrike Rider
  |`* Re: Long distance derailleur diagnosisfunkma...@hotmail.com
  | `- Re: Long distance derailleur diagnosisCatrike Rider
  `- Re: Long distance derailleur diagnosisRoger Meriman

Pages:12
Long distance derailleur diagnosis

<ttrll6$ear6$9@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=76733&group=rec.bicycles.tech#76733

From: frkry...@sbcglobal.net (Frank Krygowski)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Long distance derailleur diagnosis
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2023 21:22:29 -0500
 by: Frank Krygowski - Fri, 3 Mar 2023 02:22 UTC

To wander into bike matters for a moment:

I got a phone call today from a good friend in a distant state. He rides
a lot, like 10,000 miles per year, but he's definitely no mechanic. He
calls me frequently with bike problems.

He said he had ridden his bike to a nearby exercise facility. When he
came back out he noticed his front derailleur cable was very loose
because of a loose cable pinch screw. He didn't have an allen key and
didn't want to lose the screw, so he put it in his pocket and rode home
"in the big chainring" to take care of it.

His conversation rambled on quite a while as he described in detail lots
of trial and error, including playing with derailleur limit screws. In
the past I've found it's best to let him get all those tales out. When I
finally got a chance, I said "It struck me that you said it stayed in
the big chainring. If the cable is loose, the derailleur should have
pulled the chain toward onto a smaller chainring. Can you move the
derailleur back and forth by hand?" I was wondering if it had somehow
seized up, or if its spring had broken, etc.

He tried moving things by hand but had difficulty. I asked him to make
sure the limit screws weren't somehow all the way in, even though I
doubted they could really lock up the derailleur. He said he couldn't
see well in his tight work space. So I told him to take it outdoors
where he could see.

Once outside, he tried to move the derailleur by hand, then said "OH!!
There's a broken off piece of tree branch jammed in there!! It must have
flipped up when I ran over it! I never noticed!!"

As I've said before, readers of this discussion group sometimes forget
how little the typical bicycle rider knows about his machine.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Re: Long distance derailleur diagnosis

<t3g30ihpvjhvkk9u43vqqc3ug2nvsg58vf@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=76772&group=rec.bicycles.tech#76772

From: solo...@drafting.not (Catrike Rider)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Long distance derailleur diagnosis
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2023 04:44:00 -0500
 by: Catrike Rider - Fri, 3 Mar 2023 09:44 UTC

On Thu, 2 Mar 2023 21:22:29 -0500, Frank Krygowski
<frkrygow@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>To wander into bike matters for a moment:
>
>I got a phone call today from a good friend in a distant state. He rides
>a lot, like 10,000 miles per year, but he's definitely no mechanic. He
>calls me frequently with bike problems.
>
>He said he had ridden his bike to a nearby exercise facility. When he
>came back out he noticed his front derailleur cable was very loose
>because of a loose cable pinch screw. He didn't have an allen key and
>didn't want to lose the screw, so he put it in his pocket and rode home
>"in the big chainring" to take care of it.
>
>His conversation rambled on quite a while as he described in detail lots
>of trial and error, including playing with derailleur limit screws. In
>the past I've found it's best to let him get all those tales out. When I
>finally got a chance, I said "It struck me that you said it stayed in
>the big chainring. If the cable is loose, the derailleur should have
>pulled the chain toward onto a smaller chainring. Can you move the
>derailleur back and forth by hand?" I was wondering if it had somehow
>seized up, or if its spring had broken, etc.
>
>He tried moving things by hand but had difficulty. I asked him to make
>sure the limit screws weren't somehow all the way in, even though I
>doubted they could really lock up the derailleur. He said he couldn't
>see well in his tight work space. So I told him to take it outdoors
>where he could see.
>
>Once outside, he tried to move the derailleur by hand, then said "OH!!
>There's a broken off piece of tree branch jammed in there!! It must have
>flipped up when I ran over it! I never noticed!!"
>
>As I've said before, readers of this discussion group sometimes forget
>how little the typical bicycle rider knows about his machine.

Krygowski is pretty close to the bottom of the list of people in this
group that I'd ask for advise about bicycles and bicycling.

Re: Long distance derailleur diagnosis

<3yjML.2848308$14z3.1866320@fx11.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=76775&group=rec.bicycles.tech#76775

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
From: rog...@sarlet.com (Roger Meriman)
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2023 09:59:27 GMT
 by: Roger Meriman - Fri, 3 Mar 2023 09:59 UTC

Frank Krygowski <frkrygow@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> To wander into bike matters for a moment:
>
> I got a phone call today from a good friend in a distant state. He rides
> a lot, like 10,000 miles per year, but he's definitely no mechanic. He
> calls me frequently with bike problems.
>
> He said he had ridden his bike to a nearby exercise facility. When he
> came back out he noticed his front derailleur cable was very loose
> because of a loose cable pinch screw. He didn't have an allen key and
> didn't want to lose the screw, so he put it in his pocket and rode home
> "in the big chainring" to take care of it.
>
> His conversation rambled on quite a while as he described in detail lots
> of trial and error, including playing with derailleur limit screws. In
> the past I've found it's best to let him get all those tales out. When I
> finally got a chance, I said "It struck me that you said it stayed in
> the big chainring. If the cable is loose, the derailleur should have
> pulled the chain toward onto a smaller chainring. Can you move the
> derailleur back and forth by hand?" I was wondering if it had somehow
> seized up, or if its spring had broken, etc.
>
> He tried moving things by hand but had difficulty. I asked him to make
> sure the limit screws weren't somehow all the way in, even though I
> doubted they could really lock up the derailleur. He said he couldn't
> see well in his tight work space. So I told him to take it outdoors
> where he could see.
>
> Once outside, he tried to move the derailleur by hand, then said "OH!!
> There's a broken off piece of tree branch jammed in there!! It must have
> flipped up when I ran over it! I never noticed!!"
>
> As I've said before, readers of this discussion group sometimes forget
> how little the typical bicycle rider knows about his machine.

For lots they have little interest! Which is fine as well as long as it
does see the bike shop now and then.

I do relative few things as well I haven’t the space for tools and what
not.

Roger Merriman

Re: Long distance derailleur diagnosis

<648a812e-c7eb-4d06-baf8-f4e01a789ac2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=76777&group=rec.bicycles.tech#76777

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2023 03:08:29 -0800 (PST)
From: funkmast...@hotmail.com (funkma...@hotmail.com)
 by: funkma...@hotmail.co - Fri, 3 Mar 2023 11:08 UTC

On Friday, March 3, 2023 at 4:44:03 AM UTC-5, floriduh bigot wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Mar 2023 21:22:29 -0500, Frank Krygowski
> <frkr...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
> >To wander into bike matters for a moment:
> >
> >I got a phone call today from a good friend in a distant state. He rides
> >a lot, like 10,000 miles per year, but he's definitely no mechanic. He
> >calls me frequently with bike problems.
> >
> >He said he had ridden his bike to a nearby exercise facility. When he
> >came back out he noticed his front derailleur cable was very loose
> >because of a loose cable pinch screw. He didn't have an allen key and
> >didn't want to lose the screw, so he put it in his pocket and rode home
> >"in the big chainring" to take care of it.
> >
> >His conversation rambled on quite a while as he described in detail lots
> >of trial and error, including playing with derailleur limit screws. In
> >the past I've found it's best to let him get all those tales out. When I
> >finally got a chance, I said "It struck me that you said it stayed in
> >the big chainring. If the cable is loose, the derailleur should have
> >pulled the chain toward onto a smaller chainring. Can you move the
> >derailleur back and forth by hand?" I was wondering if it had somehow
> >seized up, or if its spring had broken, etc.
> >
> >He tried moving things by hand but had difficulty. I asked him to make
> >sure the limit screws weren't somehow all the way in, even though I
> >doubted they could really lock up the derailleur. He said he couldn't
> >see well in his tight work space. So I told him to take it outdoors
> >where he could see.
> >
> >Once outside, he tried to move the derailleur by hand, then said "OH!!
> >There's a broken off piece of tree branch jammed in there!! It must have
> >flipped up when I ran over it! I never noticed!!"
> >
> >As I've said before, readers of this discussion group sometimes forget
> >how little the typical bicycle rider knows about his machine.
> Krygowski is pretty close to the bottom of the list of people in this
> group that I'd ask for advise about bicycles and bicycling.

Says the guy who prefers to go through life with his head up his ass. Congratulations of fucking up a perfectly pleasant thread on cycling by the way.

Re: Long distance derailleur diagnosis

<obq30idk52d3v42r35r6n3fd1jiep6pcop@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=76779&group=rec.bicycles.tech#76779

From: solo...@drafting.not (Catrike Rider)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2023 07:42:48 -0500
 by: Catrike Rider - Fri, 3 Mar 2023 12:42 UTC

On Fri, 3 Mar 2023 03:08:29 -0800 (PST), "funkma...@hotmail.com"
<funkmasterxx@hotmail.com> wrote:

>On Friday, March 3, 2023 at 4:44:03?AM UTC-5, floriduh bigot wrote:
>> On Thu, 2 Mar 2023 21:22:29 -0500, Frank Krygowski
>> <frkr...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>
>> >To wander into bike matters for a moment:
>> >
>> >I got a phone call today from a good friend in a distant state. He rides
>> >a lot, like 10,000 miles per year, but he's definitely no mechanic. He
>> >calls me frequently with bike problems.
>> >
>> >He said he had ridden his bike to a nearby exercise facility. When he
>> >came back out he noticed his front derailleur cable was very loose
>> >because of a loose cable pinch screw. He didn't have an allen key and
>> >didn't want to lose the screw, so he put it in his pocket and rode home
>> >"in the big chainring" to take care of it.
>> >
>> >His conversation rambled on quite a while as he described in detail lots
>> >of trial and error, including playing with derailleur limit screws. In
>> >the past I've found it's best to let him get all those tales out. When I
>> >finally got a chance, I said "It struck me that you said it stayed in
>> >the big chainring. If the cable is loose, the derailleur should have
>> >pulled the chain toward onto a smaller chainring. Can you move the
>> >derailleur back and forth by hand?" I was wondering if it had somehow
>> >seized up, or if its spring had broken, etc.
>> >
>> >He tried moving things by hand but had difficulty. I asked him to make
>> >sure the limit screws weren't somehow all the way in, even though I
>> >doubted they could really lock up the derailleur. He said he couldn't
>> >see well in his tight work space. So I told him to take it outdoors
>> >where he could see.
>> >
>> >Once outside, he tried to move the derailleur by hand, then said "OH!!
>> >There's a broken off piece of tree branch jammed in there!! It must have
>> >flipped up when I ran over it! I never noticed!!"
>> >
>> >As I've said before, readers of this discussion group sometimes forget
>> >how little the typical bicycle rider knows about his machine.
>> Krygowski is pretty close to the bottom of the list of people in this
>> group that I'd ask for advise about bicycles and bicycling.
>
>Says the guy who prefers to go through life with his head up his ass. Congratulations of fucking up a perfectly pleasant thread on cycling by the way.

Krygowski pretends to be more knowledgable than "the typical bicycle
rider." Clearly, he's not. What was Krygowski's advice that solved
the problem?

"So I told him to take it outdoors
where he could see."

<CHUCKLE> Problem solved...

Re: Long distance derailleur diagnosis

<f2442478-ff32-49bd-a030-a11017b1febdn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=76780&group=rec.bicycles.tech#76780

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2023 05:04:09 -0800 (PST)
From: funkmast...@hotmail.com (funkma...@hotmail.com)
 by: funkma...@hotmail.co - Fri, 3 Mar 2023 13:04 UTC

On Friday, March 3, 2023 at 7:42:53 AM UTC-5, floriduh bigot wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Mar 2023 03:08:29 -0800 (PST), "funkma...@hotmail.com"
> <funkma...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >On Friday, March 3, 2023 at 4:44:03?AM UTC-5, floriduh bigot wrote:
> >>
> >> Krygowski is pretty close to the bottom of the list of people in this
> >> group that I'd ask for advise about bicycles and bicycling.
> >
> >Says the guy who prefers to go through life with his head up his ass. Congratulations of fucking up a perfectly pleasant thread on cycling by the way.
>
> Krygowski pretends to be more knowledgable than "the typical bicycle
> rider." Clearly, he's not.

More undocumented nonsense from floriduh bigot. I'd trust Franks analysis over yours on pretty much any subject - especially given your well-documented willful ignorance on any number of issues. Not only that, he was willing to help someone with being a total dick like......

> What was Krygowski's advice that solved
> the problem?
> "So I told him to take it outdoors
> where he could see."
> <CHUCKLE> Problem solved...

And your advice would have been "figure it out for yourself", if you even bothered to try to help (you being selfishly individualistic n'all). Then you'll claim they actually would thank you for 'inspiring' them to think for themselves or some other self-aggrandizing bullshit about how great you are at everything you do because you're self taught. Of course that would be predicated on any "friends" you might have that would ask for your advice to begin with, and we know you don't have any since you've clearly stated you'd rather pay people trying to be friends to stay away from you.

And once again, congratulations on fucking up an otherwise perfectly pleasant thread on cycling - it seems fucking up is what you do best - I guess that's one of your self-taught skills that really stuck.

Re: Long distance derailleur diagnosis

<vuu30i5unl0ntm9osr73q4odplgot6b7or@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=76786&group=rec.bicycles.tech#76786

From: solo...@drafting.not (Catrike Rider)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2023 09:00:38 -0500
 by: Catrike Rider - Fri, 3 Mar 2023 14:00 UTC

On Fri, 3 Mar 2023 05:04:09 -0800 (PST), "funkma...@hotmail.com"
<funkmasterxx@hotmail.com> wrote:

>On Friday, March 3, 2023 at 7:42:53?AM UTC-5, floriduh bigot wrote:
>> On Fri, 3 Mar 2023 03:08:29 -0800 (PST), "funkma...@hotmail.com"
>> <funkma...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> >Says the guy who prefers to go through life with his head up his ass. Congratulations of fucking up a perfectly pleasant thread on cycling by the way.
>>
>> Krygowski pretends to be more knowledgable than "the typical bicycle
>> rider." Clearly, he's not.
>
>More undocumented nonsense from floriduh bigot. I'd trust Franks analysis over yours on pretty much any subject

<SNORT> Of course you would...

>- especially given your well-documented willful ignorance on any number of issues. Not only that, he was willing to help someone with being a total dick like......
>
>> What was Krygowski's advice that solved
>> the problem?
>> "So I told him to take it outdoors
>> where he could see."
>> <CHUCKLE> Problem solved...

Actually, Krygowski's "problem" was most likely just another of his
imaginative inventions. The logic of the guy's detailer pinch screw
to be "very loose" *AND* a stick being jammed in the derailleur
mechanism doesn't make sense.

The guy got close enough to the mechanism to remove the screw and
didn't see the stick?

The guy got close enough to the mechanism to [play] with derailleur
limit screws and didn't see the stick?

Give me a break... It was just another of Krygowski's wild-eyed, look
at me stories.

>And your advice would have been "figure it out for yourself", if you even bothered to try to help (you being selfishly individualistic n'all). Then you'll claim they actually would thank you for 'inspiring' them to think for themselves or some other self-aggrandizing bullshit about how great you are at everything you do because you're self taught. Of course that would be predicated on any "friends" you might have that would ask for your advice to begin with, and we know you don't have any since you've clearly stated you'd rather pay people trying to be friends to stay away from you.
>
>And once again, congratulations on fucking up an otherwise perfectly pleasant thread on cycling - it seems fucking up is what you do best - I guess that's one of your self-taught skills that really stuck.

<GRIN>

Re: Long distance derailleur diagnosis

<f05f98c5-70b2-4721-91a3-8d9e28837203n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=76798&group=rec.bicycles.tech#76798

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2023 07:45:39 -0800 (PST)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Fri, 3 Mar 2023 15:45 UTC

On Friday, March 3, 2023 at 1:44:03 AM UTC-8, Catrike Rider wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Mar 2023 21:22:29 -0500, Frank Krygowski
> <frkr...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
> >To wander into bike matters for a moment:
> >
> >I got a phone call today from a good friend in a distant state. He rides
> >a lot, like 10,000 miles per year, but he's definitely no mechanic. He
> >calls me frequently with bike problems.
> >
> >He said he had ridden his bike to a nearby exercise facility. When he
> >came back out he noticed his front derailleur cable was very loose
> >because of a loose cable pinch screw. He didn't have an allen key and
> >didn't want to lose the screw, so he put it in his pocket and rode home
> >"in the big chainring" to take care of it.
> >
> >His conversation rambled on quite a while as he described in detail lots
> >of trial and error, including playing with derailleur limit screws. In
> >the past I've found it's best to let him get all those tales out. When I
> >finally got a chance, I said "It struck me that you said it stayed in
> >the big chainring. If the cable is loose, the derailleur should have
> >pulled the chain toward onto a smaller chainring. Can you move the
> >derailleur back and forth by hand?" I was wondering if it had somehow
> >seized up, or if its spring had broken, etc.
> >
> >He tried moving things by hand but had difficulty. I asked him to make
> >sure the limit screws weren't somehow all the way in, even though I
> >doubted they could really lock up the derailleur. He said he couldn't
> >see well in his tight work space. So I told him to take it outdoors
> >where he could see.
> >
> >Once outside, he tried to move the derailleur by hand, then said "OH!!
> >There's a broken off piece of tree branch jammed in there!! It must have
> >flipped up when I ran over it! I never noticed!!"
> >
> >As I've said before, readers of this discussion group sometimes forget
> >how little the typical bicycle rider knows about his machine.
> Krygowski is pretty close to the bottom of the list of people in this
> group that I'd ask for advise about bicycles and bicycling.

He is supposedly a bicycle mechanic and has two glaring errors? If he had a "loose cable pinch screw" it would have been obvious since unlike his next statement that the "friend" removed the pinch screw (cable lock) the front derailleur would be in the small chainring and not the large. Hence you would put the rear derailleur in the small cog. Especially if the friend rides a triple.

I'm sure that Frank could fix his own bike with the problem right in front of him but how can he give a looney description like that? Perhaps this is the result of Frank drinking Biden's poisoned water.

Re: Long distance derailleur diagnosis

<ea0d5bb9-178f-4f4d-aff5-fd3246446539n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=76799&group=rec.bicycles.tech#76799

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2023 07:52:17 -0800 (PST)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Fri, 3 Mar 2023 15:52 UTC

On Friday, March 3, 2023 at 6:00:42 AM UTC-8, Catrike Rider wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Mar 2023 05:04:09 -0800 (PST), "funkma...@hotmail.com"
> <funkma...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >On Friday, March 3, 2023 at 7:42:53?AM UTC-5, floriduh bigot wrote:

> >> Krygowski pretends to be more knowledgable than "the typical bicycle
> >> rider." Clearly, he's not.
> >
> >More undocumented nonsense from floriduh bigot. I'd trust Franks analysis over yours on pretty much any subject
> <SNORT> Of course you would...
> >- especially given your well-documented willful ignorance on any number of issues. Not only that, he was willing to help someone with being a total dick like......
> >
> >> What was Krygowski's advice that solved
> >> the problem?
> >> "So I told him to take it outdoors
> >> where he could see."
> >> <CHUCKLE> Problem solved...
> Actually, Krygowski's "problem" was most likely just another of his
> imaginative inventions. The logic of the guy's detailer pinch screw
> to be "very loose" *AND* a stick being jammed in the derailleur
> mechanism doesn't make sense.
>
> The guy got close enough to the mechanism to remove the screw and
> didn't see the stick?
>
> The guy got close enough to the mechanism to [play] with derailleur
> limit screws and didn't see the stick?
>
> Give me a break... It was just another of Krygowski's wild-eyed, look
> at me stories.
> >And your advice would have been "figure it out for yourself", if you even bothered to try to help (you being selfishly individualistic n'all). Then you'll claim they actually would thank you for 'inspiring' them to think for themselves or some other self-aggrandizing bullshit about how great you are at everything you do because you're self taught. Of course that would be predicated on any "friends" you might have that would ask for your advice to begin with, and we know you don't have any since you've clearly stated you'd rather pay people trying to be friends to stay away from you.
> >
> >And once again, congratulations on fucking up an otherwise perfectly pleasant thread on cycling - it seems fucking up is what you do best - I guess that's one of your self-taught skills that really stuck.
> <GRIN>

Frank passes on an entirely totally unlikely story and again Flunky is French kissing Frank's ass. The only conclusion that I can come to that Flunky is as queer as a $3 bill. His sexual deviations will be explained to him as he enters the lake of fire, but otherwise the only thing it means to us is that his brainless pitiful love of Krygowski makes his comments null and void.

Re: Long distance derailleur diagnosis

<5002a9ee-d1f8-434b-9cf6-971f810371aan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=76800&group=rec.bicycles.tech#76800

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2023 08:08:55 -0800 (PST)
From: funkmast...@hotmail.com (funkma...@hotmail.com)
 by: funkma...@hotmail.co - Fri, 3 Mar 2023 16:08 UTC

On Friday, March 3, 2023 at 9:00:42 AM UTC-5, floriduh bigot wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Mar 2023 05:04:09 -0800 (PST), "funkma...@hotmail.com"
> <funkma...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >On Friday, March 3, 2023 at 7:42:53?AM UTC-5, floriduh bigot wrote:

> >> Krygowski pretends to be more knowledgable than "the typical bicycle
> >> rider." Clearly, he's not.
> >
> >More undocumented nonsense from floriduh bigot. I'd trust Franks analysis over yours on pretty much any subject
>
> <SNORT> Of course you would...

Especially over someone who prefixes his responses with <SNORT>.

> >- especially given your well-documented willful ignorance on any number of issues. Not only that, he was willing to help someone with being a total dick like......
> >
> >> What was Krygowski's advice that solved
> >> the problem?
> >> "So I told him to take it outdoors
> >> where he could see."
> >> <CHUCKLE> Problem solved...
> Actually, Krygowski's "problem" was most likely just another of his
> imaginative inventions. The logic of the guy's detailer pinch screw
> to be "very loose" *AND* a stick being jammed in the derailleur
> mechanism doesn't make sense.
>
> The guy got close enough to the mechanism to remove the screw and
> didn't see the stick?
>
> The guy got close enough to the mechanism to [play] with derailleur
> limit screws and didn't see the stick?

The guy also claimed he removed the pinch screw and put the chain on the big ring - not likely as Frank pointed out. The point being that many people troubleshooting problems claim they did or saw things they couldn't have. I have regular meetings with our applications group over customer issues - 90% of the time the customer has tried to or is trying to hook something up wrong. Jeff can corroborate similar experiences with his customer base, I'm sure.

> Give me a break... It was just another of Krygowski's wild-eyed, look
> at me stories.

As opposed to yet another of your wild eyed "look at me ragging on Frank" posts.

> >And your advice would have been "figure it out for yourself", if you even bothered to try to help (you being selfishly individualistic n'all). Then you'll claim they actually would thank you for 'inspiring' them to think for themselves or some other self-aggrandizing bullshit about how great you are at everything you do because you're self taught. Of course that would be predicated on any "friends" you might have that would ask for your advice to begin with, and we know you don't have any since you've clearly stated you'd rather pay people trying to be friends to stay away from you.
> >
> >And once again, congratulations on fucking up an otherwise perfectly pleasant thread on cycling - it seems fucking up is what you do best - I guess that's one of your self-taught skills that really stuck.
> <GRIN>

Re: Long distance derailleur diagnosis

<b10fd76e-df2a-45db-97af-bffa391f13e1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=76802&group=rec.bicycles.tech#76802

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2023 08:11:18 -0800 (PST)
From: funkmast...@hotmail.com (funkma...@hotmail.com)
 by: funkma...@hotmail.co - Fri, 3 Mar 2023 16:11 UTC

On Friday, March 3, 2023 at 10:45:41 AM UTC-5, Tom Kunich wrote:
> On Friday, March 3, 2023 at 1:44:03 AM UTC-8, Catrike Rider wrote:
> > On Thu, 2 Mar 2023 21:22:29 -0500, Frank Krygowski
> > <frkr...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> >
> > >To wander into bike matters for a moment:
> > >
> > >I got a phone call today from a good friend in a distant state. He rides
> > >a lot, like 10,000 miles per year, but he's definitely no mechanic. He
> > >calls me frequently with bike problems.
> > >
> > >He said he had ridden his bike to a nearby exercise facility. When he
> > >came back out he noticed his front derailleur cable was very loose
> > >because of a loose cable pinch screw. He didn't have an allen key and
> > >didn't want to lose the screw, so he put it in his pocket and rode home
> > >"in the big chainring" to take care of it.
> > >
> > >His conversation rambled on quite a while as he described in detail lots
> > >of trial and error, including playing with derailleur limit screws. In
> > >the past I've found it's best to let him get all those tales out. When I
> > >finally got a chance, I said "It struck me that you said it stayed in
> > >the big chainring. If the cable is loose, the derailleur should have
> > >pulled the chain toward onto a smaller chainring. Can you move the
> > >derailleur back and forth by hand?" I was wondering if it had somehow
> > >seized up, or if its spring had broken, etc.
> > >
> > >He tried moving things by hand but had difficulty. I asked him to make
> > >sure the limit screws weren't somehow all the way in, even though I
> > >doubted they could really lock up the derailleur. He said he couldn't
> > >see well in his tight work space. So I told him to take it outdoors
> > >where he could see.
> > >
> > >Once outside, he tried to move the derailleur by hand, then said "OH!!
> > >There's a broken off piece of tree branch jammed in there!! It must have
> > >flipped up when I ran over it! I never noticed!!"
> > >
> > >As I've said before, readers of this discussion group sometimes forget
> > >how little the typical bicycle rider knows about his machine.
> > Krygowski is pretty close to the bottom of the list of people in this
> > group that I'd ask for advise about bicycles and bicycling.
>
> He is supposedly a bicycle mechanic and has two glaring errors? If he had a "loose cable pinch screw" it would have been obvious since unlike his next statement that the "friend" removed the pinch screw (cable lock) the front derailleur would be in the small chainring and not the large.

Hey, stoopid, Frank wrote "I said "It struck me that you said it stayed in the big chainring. If the cable is loose, the derailleur should have pulled the chain toward onto a smaller chainring. "

You're an idiot. Shut the fuck up.

Re: Long distance derailleur diagnosis

<a1289bc0-becc-4212-a09e-dfa59b821303n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=76803&group=rec.bicycles.tech#76803

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2023 08:12:51 -0800 (PST)
From: funkmast...@hotmail.com (funkma...@hotmail.com)
 by: funkma...@hotmail.co - Fri, 3 Mar 2023 16:12 UTC

On Friday, March 3, 2023 at 10:52:19 AM UTC-5, Tom Kunich wrote:

> The only conclusion that I can come to that Flunky is as queer as a $3 bill. His sexual deviations will be explained to him as he enters the lake of fire, but otherwise the only thing it means to us is that his brainless pitiful love of Krygowski makes his comments null and void.

Jute rule #1
1. Repeatedly accusing people of being "queer". He's a closeted queer, afraid people will find out.
https://groups.google.com/g/rec.bicycles.tech/c/cIy0DJaWYMg/m/Q1zbKmVxBAAJ

Re: Long distance derailleur diagnosis

<9b940ilsa5oesk8hitkkkq6j8574mke008@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=76815&group=rec.bicycles.tech#76815

From: solo...@drafting.not (Catrike Rider)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2023 11:55:34 -0500
 by: Catrike Rider - Fri, 3 Mar 2023 16:55 UTC

On Fri, 3 Mar 2023 08:08:55 -0800 (PST), "funkma...@hotmail.com"
<funkmasterxx@hotmail.com> wrote:

>On Friday, March 3, 2023 at 9:00:42?AM UTC-5, floriduh bigot wrote:
>> On Fri, 3 Mar 2023 05:04:09 -0800 (PST), "funkma...@hotmail.com"
>> <funkma...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> >More undocumented nonsense from floriduh bigot. I'd trust Franks analysis over yours on pretty much any subject
>>
>> <SNORT> Of course you would...
>
>Especially over someone who prefixes his responses with <SNORT>.

<EYEROLL>

>> >- especially given your well-documented willful ignorance on any number of issues. Not only that, he was willing to help someone with being a total dick like......

>> Actually, Krygowski's "problem" was most likely just another of his
>> imaginative inventions. The logic of the guy's detailer pinch screw
>> to be "very loose" *AND* a stick being jammed in the derailleur
>> mechanism doesn't make sense.
>>
>> The guy got close enough to the mechanism to remove the screw and
>> didn't see the stick?
>>
>> The guy got close enough to the mechanism to [play] with derailleur
>> limit screws and didn't see the stick?
>
>The guy also claimed he removed the pinch screw and put the chain on the big ring - not likely as Frank pointed out. The point being that many people troubleshooting problems claim they did or saw things they couldn't have. I have regular meetings with our applications group over customer issues - 90% of the time the customer has tried to or is trying to hook something up wrong. Jeff can corroborate similar experiences with his customer base, I'm sure.

In the end, the guy found the problem himself. Krygowski didn't
diagnose anything..
>> Give me a break... It was just another of Krygowski's wild-eyed, look
>> at me stories.
>
>As opposed to yet another of your wild eyed "look at me ragging on Frank" posts.

Oh, poor little Frankie Krygowski.

>> >And your advice would have been "figure it out for yourself", if you even bothered to try to help (you being selfishly individualistic n'all). Then you'll claim they actually would thank you for 'inspiring' them to think for themselves or some other self-aggrandizing bullshit about how great you are at everything you do because you're self taught. Of course that would be predicated on any "friends" you might have that would ask for your advice to begin with, and we know you don't have any since you've clearly stated you'd rather pay people trying to be friends to stay away from you.
>> >
>> >And once again, congratulations on fucking up an otherwise perfectly pleasant thread on cycling - it seems fucking up is what you do best - I guess that's one of your self-taught skills that really stuck.
>> <GRIN>

Re: Long distance derailleur diagnosis

<ttt90a$m6h4$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=76816&group=rec.bicycles.tech#76816

From: frkry...@sbcglobal.net (Frank Krygowski)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2023 11:58:48 -0500
 by: Frank Krygowski - Fri, 3 Mar 2023 16:58 UTC

On 3/3/2023 11:08 AM, funkma...@hotmail.com wrote:
> On Friday, March 3, 2023 at 9:00:42 AM UTC-5, floriduh bigot wrote:
>>

>> The guy got close enough to the mechanism to [play] with derailleur
>> limit screws and didn't see the stick?

Yes. That, to me, was the amazing part. It's why I posted the account of
the conversation. One of my points was this: When asked to help diagnose
a bike problem, assume nothing.

> The guy also claimed he removed the pinch screw and put the chain on the big ring - not likely as Frank pointed out.
A tiny detail: He didn't actually say he "put it on the big ring." He
said he "rode it home on the big ring," as if it were already there.

I didn't attempt to transcribe the entire conversation, but one of the
first things I asked him was whether someone might have messed with his
bike while he was exercising. He said he very much doubted it because it
was so early in the morning that nobody was about. I'm not so convinced.
A bit of sabotage could explain a lot.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Re: Long distance derailleur diagnosis

<ttt92d$m6h4$6@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=76817&group=rec.bicycles.tech#76817

From: frkry...@sbcglobal.net (Frank Krygowski)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2023 11:59:55 -0500
 by: Frank Krygowski - Fri, 3 Mar 2023 16:59 UTC

On 3/3/2023 11:11 AM, funkma...@hotmail.com wrote:
> On Friday, March 3, 2023 at 10:45:41 AM UTC-5, Tom Kunich wrote:
>> On Friday, March 3, 2023 at 1:44:03 AM UTC-8, Catrike Rider wrote:

>>> Krygowski is pretty close to the bottom of the list of people in this
>>> group that I'd ask for advise about bicycles and bicycling.
>>
>> He is supposedly a bicycle mechanic and has two glaring errors? If he had a "loose cable pinch screw" it would have been obvious since unlike his next statement that the "friend" removed the pinch screw (cable lock) the front derailleur would be in the small chainring and not the large.
>
> Hey, stoopid, Frank wrote "I said "It struck me that you said it stayed in the big chainring. If the cable is loose, the derailleur should have pulled the chain toward onto a smaller chainring. "
>
> You're an idiot. Shut the fuck up.

+1

--
- Frank Krygowski

Re: Long distance derailleur diagnosis

<76a40itaha5pjnkrcr3rpmgipqs5maoq4g@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=76820&group=rec.bicycles.tech#76820

From: solo...@drafting.not (Catrike Rider)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2023 12:09:20 -0500
 by: Catrike Rider - Fri, 3 Mar 2023 17:09 UTC

On Fri, 3 Mar 2023 11:58:48 -0500, Frank Krygowski
<frkrygow@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>On 3/3/2023 11:08 AM, funkma...@hotmail.com wrote:
>> On Friday, March 3, 2023 at 9:00:42?AM UTC-5, floriduh bigot wrote:
>>>

>>> The guy got close enough to the mechanism to [play] with derailleur
>>> limit screws and didn't see the stick?
>
>Yes. That, to me, was the amazing part. It's why I posted the account of
>the conversation. One of my points was this: When asked to help diagnose
>a bike problem, assume nothing.
>
>> The guy also claimed he removed the pinch screw and put the chain on the big ring - not likely as Frank pointed out.
>A tiny detail: He didn't actually say he "put it on the big ring." He
>said he "rode it home on the big ring," as if it were already there.
>
>I didn't attempt to transcribe the entire conversation, but one of the
>first things I asked him was whether someone might have messed with his
>bike while he was exercising. He said he very much doubted it because it
>was so early in the morning that nobody was about. I'm not so convinced.
>A bit of sabotage could explain a lot.

Just another Krygowski look_at_me story. I really doubt anyone came
along with an Allen wrench to disable the bike. There's way too many
other easier ways to disable a bike.

Re: Long distance derailleur diagnosis

<ttt9n1$m6h4$7@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=76821&group=rec.bicycles.tech#76821

From: frkry...@sbcglobal.net (Frank Krygowski)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2023 12:10:56 -0500
 by: Frank Krygowski - Fri, 3 Mar 2023 17:10 UTC

On 3/3/2023 4:59 AM, Roger Meriman wrote:
> Frank Krygowski <frkrygow@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>
>> As I've said before, readers of this discussion group sometimes forget
>> how little the typical bicycle rider knows about his machine.
>>
> For lots they have little interest! Which is fine as well as long as it
> does see the bike shop now and then.
>
> I do relative few things as well I haven’t the space for tools and what
> not.

Space can be a problem. Another couple we know, very good bicycling
friends of ours, once talked about living and traveling full time in
their luxury motor home. I said I couldn't do that unless I bought one
with a workshop in the basement!

But I believe strongly in learning to do things for oneself, to a
reasonable degree - that is, perhaps stopping short of rarely used and
expensive special tools. It opens many possibilities.

I remember well my first meeting with a beloved, now departed, extended
family member. He'd been a millwright in a steel mill. He asked with
some disapproval about our coast-to-coast ride: "What would you have
done if your bikes broke down?" I told him I was very capable of
repairing them, and that I'd assembled several bikes from the frame up.
Eventually he and I became great friends.

That sort of knowledge grants a person freedom that many others never
experience. Think of the poor people who can't ride anywhere but back
and forth on bike paths!

--
- Frank Krygowski

Re: Long distance derailleur diagnosis

<2na40idgjnm45caqm0o3200pkfrvotjue3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=76826&group=rec.bicycles.tech#76826

From: solo...@drafting.not (Catrike Rider)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2023 12:28:54 -0500
 by: Catrike Rider - Fri, 3 Mar 2023 17:28 UTC

On Fri, 3 Mar 2023 12:10:56 -0500, Frank Krygowski
<frkrygow@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>On 3/3/2023 4:59 AM, Roger Meriman wrote:
>> Frank Krygowski <frkrygow@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> As I've said before, readers of this discussion group sometimes forget
>>> how little the typical bicycle rider knows about his machine.
>>>
>> For lots they have little interest! Which is fine as well as long as it
>> does see the bike shop now and then.
>>
>> I do relative few things as well I haven’t the space for tools and what
>> not.
>
>Space can be a problem. Another couple we know, very good bicycling
>friends of ours, once talked about living and traveling full time in
>their luxury motor home. I said I couldn't do that unless I bought one
>with a workshop in the basement!
>
>But I believe strongly in learning to do things for oneself, to a
>reasonable degree - that is, perhaps stopping short of rarely used and
>expensive special tools. It opens many possibilities.
>
>I remember well my first meeting with a beloved, now departed, extended
>family member. He'd been a millwright in a steel mill. He asked with
>some disapproval about our coast-to-coast ride: "What would you have
>done if your bikes broke down?" I told him I was very capable of
>repairing them, and that I'd assembled several bikes from the frame up.
>Eventually he and I became great friends.
>
>That sort of knowledge grants a person freedom that many others never
>experience. Think of the poor people who can't ride anywhere but back
>and forth on bike paths!

I had to rebuild the Catrike from the frame up. In 70 years of
bicycling, over 36000 miles on my Catrike, I've never been in a bike
shop except to buy stuff. Not much I can't do with a bicycle... or a
car, motorcycle, snowmobile, tractor, sailboat, outboard motor, diesel
engine, for that matter. and there are many other skills I have that
Krygowski never dreamed of.

Re: Long distance derailleur diagnosis

<5cae67f0-25cd-4d09-86a5-936b715da8ddn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=76833&group=rec.bicycles.tech#76833

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2023 09:35:55 -0800 (PST)
From: funkmast...@hotmail.com (funkma...@hotmail.com)
 by: funkma...@hotmail.co - Fri, 3 Mar 2023 17:35 UTC

On Friday, March 3, 2023 at 12:09:27 PM UTC-5, floriduh bigot wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Mar 2023 11:58:48 -0500, Frank Krygowski
> <frkr...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> >Yes. That, to me, was the amazing part. It's why I posted the account of
> >the conversation. One of my points was this: When asked to help diagnose
> >a bike problem, assume nothing.
> >
> >> The guy also claimed he removed the pinch screw and put the chain on the big ring - not likely as Frank pointed out.
> >A tiny detail: He didn't actually say he "put it on the big ring." He
> >said he "rode it home on the big ring," as if it were already there.
> >
> >I didn't attempt to transcribe the entire conversation, but one of the
> >first things I asked him was whether someone might have messed with his
> >bike while he was exercising. He said he very much doubted it because it
> >was so early in the morning that nobody was about. I'm not so convinced.
> >A bit of sabotage could explain a lot.
> Just another Krygowski look_at_me story. I really doubt anyone came
> along with an Allen wrench to disable the bike. There's way too many
> other easier ways to disable a bike.

Your lame-assed opinion is duly noted and dismissed as just another one of your lame assed opinions

Re: Long distance derailleur diagnosis

<6ab0eb93-38f3-4aca-9ceb-0cc03440aef2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=76834&group=rec.bicycles.tech#76834

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2023 09:38:48 -0800 (PST)
From: funkmast...@hotmail.com (funkma...@hotmail.com)
 by: funkma...@hotmail.co - Fri, 3 Mar 2023 17:38 UTC

On Friday, March 3, 2023 at 12:28:57 PM UTC-5, floriduh bigot wrote:

> I had to rebuild the Catrike from the frame up. In 70 years of
> bicycling, over 36000 miles on my Catrike, I've never been in a bike
> shop except to buy stuff. Not much I can't do with a bicycle... or a
> car, motorcycle, snowmobile, tractor, sailboat, outboard motor, diesel
> engine, for that matter. and there are many other skills I have that
> Krygowski never dreamed of.

"Then you'll claim......some other self-aggrandizing bullshit about how great you are at everything you do because you're self taught"
Q.E.D.

Re: Long distance derailleur diagnosis

<jcc40i9dehqv0vhdg3lc8f48p442u7mh6d@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=76835&group=rec.bicycles.tech#76835

From: solo...@drafting.not (Catrike Rider)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2023 12:42:54 -0500
References: <ttrll6$ear6$9@dont-email.me> <t3g30ihpvjhvkk9u43vqqc3ug2nvsg58vf@4ax.com> <648a812e-c7eb-4d06-baf8-f4e01a789ac2n@googlegroups.com> <obq30idk52d3v42r35r6n3fd1jiep6pcop@4ax.com> <f2442478-ff32-49bd-a030-a11017b1febdn@googlegroups.com> <vuu30i5unl0ntm9osr73q4odplgot6b7or@4ax.com> <5002a9ee-d1f8-434b-9cf6-971f810371aan@googlegroups.com> <ttt90a$m6h4$5@dont-email.me> <76a40itaha5pjnkrcr3rpmgipqs5maoq4g@4ax.com> <5cae67f0-25cd-4d09-86a5-936b715da8ddn@googlegroups.com>
 by: Catrike Rider - Fri, 3 Mar 2023 17:42 UTC

On Fri, 3 Mar 2023 09:35:55 -0800 (PST), "funkma...@hotmail.com"
<funkmasterxx@hotmail.com> wrote:

>On Friday, March 3, 2023 at 12:09:27?PM UTC-5, floriduh bigot wrote:
>> On Fri, 3 Mar 2023 11:58:48 -0500, Frank Krygowski
>> <frkr...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>> >Yes. That, to me, was the amazing part. It's why I posted the account of
>> >the conversation. One of my points was this: When asked to help diagnose
>> >a bike problem, assume nothing.

>> >A tiny detail: He didn't actually say he "put it on the big ring." He
>> >said he "rode it home on the big ring," as if it were already there.
>> >
>> >I didn't attempt to transcribe the entire conversation, but one of the
>> >first things I asked him was whether someone might have messed with his
>> >bike while he was exercising. He said he very much doubted it because it
>> >was so early in the morning that nobody was about. I'm not so convinced.
>> >A bit of sabotage could explain a lot.
>> Just another Krygowski look_at_me story. I really doubt anyone came
>> along with an Allen wrench to disable the bike. There's way too many
>> other easier ways to disable a bike.
>
>Your lame-assed opinion is duly noted and dismissed as just another one of your lame assed opinions

<BIG GRIN>

Re: Long distance derailleur diagnosis

<i9d40i9to8d6or77u6vobqud6gg30auudq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=76841&group=rec.bicycles.tech#76841

From: solo...@drafting.not (Catrike Rider)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2023 13:05:25 -0500
 by: Catrike Rider - Fri, 3 Mar 2023 18:05 UTC

On Fri, 3 Mar 2023 09:38:48 -0800 (PST), "funkma...@hotmail.com"
<funkmasterxx@hotmail.com> wrote:

>On Friday, March 3, 2023 at 12:28:57?PM UTC-5, floriduh bigot wrote:
>>

>> I had to rebuild the Catrike from the frame up. In 70 years of
>> bicycling, over 36000 miles on my Catrike, I've never been in a bike
>> shop except to buy stuff. Not much I can't do with a bicycle... or a
>> car, motorcycle, snowmobile, tractor, sailboat, outboard motor, diesel
>> engine, for that matter. and there are many other skills I have that
>> Krygowski never dreamed of.
>
>"Then you'll claim......some other self-aggrandizing bullshit about how great you are at everything you do because you're self taught"
>Q.E.D.

Oh no, I'm not great at everything I do, but I'm pretty good at many
things. The only thing I've ever been really great at, was computer
programming and that was 25 years ago. On the other hand, I'm poor at
small talk and other in-person socializing.

Re: Long distance derailleur diagnosis

<7735e038-d98c-4a09-8521-9a74f55d33a1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=76846&group=rec.bicycles.tech#76846

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2023 10:55:06 -0800 (PST)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Fri, 3 Mar 2023 18:55 UTC

On Friday, March 3, 2023 at 9:09:27 AM UTC-8, Catrike Rider wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Mar 2023 11:58:48 -0500, Frank Krygowski
> <frkr...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> >Yes. That, to me, was the amazing part. It's why I posted the account of
> >the conversation. One of my points was this: When asked to help diagnose
> >a bike problem, assume nothing.
> >
> >> The guy also claimed he removed the pinch screw and put the chain on the big ring - not likely as Frank pointed out.
> >A tiny detail: He didn't actually say he "put it on the big ring." He
> >said he "rode it home on the big ring," as if it were already there.
> >
> >I didn't attempt to transcribe the entire conversation, but one of the
> >first things I asked him was whether someone might have messed with his
> >bike while he was exercising. He said he very much doubted it because it
> >was so early in the morning that nobody was about. I'm not so convinced.
> >A bit of sabotage could explain a lot.
> Just another Krygowski look_at_me story. I really doubt anyone came
> along with an Allen wrench to disable the bike. There's way too many
> other easier ways to disable a bike.

Well, to give Frank at least some credit he has more carefully explained that there was a stick jamming the front derailleur. I might question his taste in friends if he sees loose front derailleur problem and can't troubleshoot it to a stick. but I suppose there are people as mechanically inept as that.

Which brings on the question of HOW could the friend have removed a cable lock screw by hand? Off hand the only things I could think of is the rather large and obvious stick both breaking the wire and pulling the inner out of the lock screw thereby leaving it loose while simultaneously jamming the derailleur into the big ring. Excuse if I think that a total idiot couldn't see that.

Re: Long distance derailleur diagnosis

<48eb6c8b-3aaf-44a2-8e30-9ffcd630b62dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=76847&group=rec.bicycles.tech#76847

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2023 11:01:13 -0800 (PST)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Fri, 3 Mar 2023 19:01 UTC

On Friday, March 3, 2023 at 9:42:57 AM UTC-8, Catrike Rider wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Mar 2023 09:35:55 -0800 (PST), "funkma...@hotmail.com"
> <funkma...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >On Friday, March 3, 2023 at 12:09:27?PM UTC-5, floriduh bigot wrote:

> >> Just another Krygowski look_at_me story. I really doubt anyone came
> >> along with an Allen wrench to disable the bike. There's way too many
> >> other easier ways to disable a bike.
> >
> >Your lame-assed opinion is duly noted and dismissed as just another one of your lame assed opinions
> <BIG GRIN>

And yet again Flunky is showing seriously homosexual attraction for Frank. Sorry you queer, Frank is already taken and doesn't act like he is a game changer. Move to San Francisco if you need more of your kind.

Re: Long distance derailleur diagnosis

<84054797-6e69-4f01-b479-864eab60ab27n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=76854&group=rec.bicycles.tech#76854