From: nul...@void.com (Richard Smith)
Newsgroups: sci.engr.joining.welding
Subject: GMAW Al - Pulse or Spray?
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2021 06:59:02 +0100
 by: Richard Smith - Wed, 21 Jul 2021 05:59 UTC

Hi

Welding overhead "into the top corner" PD/4F...

I was getting burned, and it was ejecvting a blob of metal to every
pulse.

So switched to "straight CV GMAW" and - lo-and-behold - no problem -
easy.

Smooth runs. Bit of crackle cleaning oxide had a fine misting not
worth calling spatter. Ran in well. Good everything.
Knew exactly where stood - wire-feed-speed and volts
Found conditions matched exactly the Lincoln Foundation / Lincoln
Electric recommendations.

A friend said it sounds like they are making everything more difficult
that it needs to be.

FWIW - 1.2mm (47thou) 5356 wire

Would you follow the Lincoln Foundation recommendation of 1.6mm /
1/16" wire for 6mm (1/4") and upwards plate?

Regards,
Rich S

Re: GMAW Al - Pulse or Spray?

<sdfbgc$viv$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=77&group=sci.engr.joining.welding#77

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: sci.engr.joining.welding
Subject: Re: GMAW Al - Pulse or Spray?
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2021 14:14:53 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Fri, 23 Jul 2021 21:14 UTC

On 7/20/2021 10:59 PM, Richard Smith wrote:
> Hi
>
> Welding overhead "into the top corner" PD/4F...
>
> I was getting burned, and it was ejecvting a blob of metal to every
> pulse.
>
> So switched to "straight CV GMAW" and - lo-and-behold - no problem -
> easy.
>
> Smooth runs. Bit of crackle cleaning oxide had a fine misting not
> worth calling spatter. Ran in well. Good everything.
> Knew exactly where stood - wire-feed-speed and volts
> Found conditions matched exactly the Lincoln Foundation / Lincoln
> Electric recommendations.
>
> A friend said it sounds like they are making everything more difficult
> that it needs to be.
>
> FWIW - 1.2mm (47thou) 5356 wire
>
> Would you follow the Lincoln Foundation recommendation of 1.6mm /
> 1/16" wire for 6mm (1/4") and upwards plate?
>
> Regards,
> Rich S

I think pulse is mostly just used to control heat input.

https://www.avg.com