"Ignorance is the soil in which belief in miracles grows." -- Robert G. Ingersoll

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Weather and Riding

SubjectAuthor
* Weather and RidingTom Kunich
`* Re: Weather and RidingTom Kunich
 `* Re: Weather and RidingTom Kunich
  +- Re: Weather and Ridingfunkma...@hotmail.com
  `* Re: Weather and RidingJeff Liebermann
   `* Re: Weather and Ridingfunkma...@hotmail.com
    `* Re: Weather and RidingJeff Liebermann
     +- Re: Weather and RidingJohn B.
     +* Re: Weather and RidingLou Holtman
     |+- Re: Weather and RidingRoger Meriman
     |+- Re: Weather and RidingTom Kunich
     |+* Re: Weather and Ridingfunkma...@hotmail.com
     ||`* Re: Weather and RidingLou Holtman
     || `- Re: Weather and Ridingfunkma...@hotmail.com
     |`* Re: Weather and RidingJeff Liebermann
     | `* Re: Weather and RidingCatrike Rider
     |  `- Re: Weather and RidingTom Kunich
     `* Re: Weather and Ridingsms
      +- Re: Weather and Ridingfunkma...@hotmail.com
      +* Re: Weather and RidingRolf Mantel
      |`- Re: Weather and RidingTom Kunich
      `* Re: Weather and RidingJeff Liebermann
       +* Re: Weather and Ridingfunkma...@hotmail.com
       |`- Re: Weather and RidingJeff Liebermann
       `* Re: Weather and RidingFrank Krygowski
        +- Re: Weather and RidingRoger Meriman
        +* Re: Weather and Ridingfunkma...@hotmail.com
        |+* Re: Weather and RidingWilliam Crowell
        ||+* Re: Weather and RidingTom Kunich
        |||`- Re: Weather and RidingJeff Liebermann
        ||`* Re: Weather and RidingLou Holtman
        || +* Re: Weather and RidingWilliam Crowell
        || |+- Re: Weather and RidingWilliam Crowell
        || |`* Re: Weather and RidingLou Holtman
        || | +- Re: Weather and RidingTom Kunich
        || | `* Re: Weather and RidingRoger Meriman
        || |  `* Re: Weather and RidingLou Holtman
        || |   +- Re: Weather and RidingRoger Meriman
        || |   `* Re: Weather and RidingWilliam Crowell
        || |    `* Re: Weather and RidingRoger Meriman
        || |     `- Re: Weather and RidingTom Kunich
        || `- Re: Weather and Ridingfunkma...@hotmail.com
        |+* Re: Weather and RidingJeff Liebermann
        ||+* Re: Weather and RidingJeff Liebermann
        |||`- Re: Weather and RidingJeff Liebermann
        ||`* Re: Weather and Ridingfunkma...@hotmail.com
        || `- Re: Weather and RidingJeff Liebermann
        |`- Re: Weather and RidingRoger Meriman
        `* Re: Weather and RidingJeff Liebermann
         `* Re: Weather and RidingFrank Krygowski
          `* Re: Weather and RidingCatrike Rider
           `- Re: Weather and Ridingfunkma...@hotmail.com

Pages:123
Weather and Riding

<6f1329e3-b3c4-4366-8249-fed9ff93a4a7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=77273&group=rec.bicycles.tech#77273

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2023 14:36:07 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Weather and Riding
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Thu, 9 Mar 2023 22:36 UTC

I got up at 5:45 this morning, It was dry and calm but cold. Nothing record breaking but two layers and a wind jacket at least. I probably could have gotten ready and done a fast 25 miles before the rain started but instead I was lazy and drank a pot of coffee and argued with the cats who were more pessimistic about the weather than I was.

It has been raining since about 10:00 am and the outside temperature is still pegged at 40 degrees F. That's 10 degrees C for you fereners.

At the moment I am glad I took the cat's advice. The two inside cats are getting under all of the blankets they can and the outside cat is hiding from the rain and looking about as miserable as a cat can look that has plenty of food to eat.

Re: Weather and Riding

<e0e8d25c-010d-4351-ab18-4b660ccc4e14n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=77364&group=rec.bicycles.tech#77364

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2023 15:23:18 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Weather and Riding
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Sat, 11 Mar 2023 23:23 UTC

On Thursday, March 9, 2023 at 2:36:09 PM UTC-8, Tom Kunich wrote:
> I got up at 5:45 this morning, It was dry and calm but cold. Nothing record breaking but two layers and a wind jacket at least. I probably could have gotten ready and done a fast 25 miles before the rain started but instead I was lazy and drank a pot of coffee and argued with the cats who were more pessimistic about the weather than I was.
>
> It has been raining since about 10:00 am and the outside temperature is still pegged at 40 degrees F. That's 10 degrees C for you fereners.
>
> At the moment I am glad I took the cat's advice. The two inside cats are getting under all of the blankets they can and the outside cat is hiding from the rain and looking about as miserable as a cat can look that has plenty of food to eat.

Today the weather report was for virtually continuous rain. But it was dry outside. Looking more carefully at the weather maps showed that it was going to rain in Santa Rosa where most of the news and weather casters live. I guess that's why they now consider Santa Rosa part of the bay area, That is 70 miles away from the bay area but don't tell them that. But then again they also call Gilroy also part of the bay area despite it being closer to Monterey than my home dead center of the bay. Gilroy is 62 miles away from my home and 40 miles to Monterey.

In any case it looked like there wouldn't be any rain here so I went with some friends on the 23 mile ride taking the shortest route just in case.

It was not real cold but the wind chill was really low and on the way down into the wind my fingers inside of Voler long finger gloves about froze. Because it was so uncomfortable outside I got us some seats inside where we could still watch the bikes. The other two guys were not looking for another hour on the bikes so they put off leaving for another half hour. I was getting pretty restless since there was some spots on the weather map that were light showers and I just as soon would mill them.

Finally we started back and downwind was a lot more comfortable than up. 3 miles from the end it started a sprinkle. If we had left early we would have missed it completely. But it wasn't hard and it didn't last long. I had to wipe off the face of my Garmin twice. We were passed by two young guys - one of them was fast and the other passed us because he pushed himself. On a climb out from under a taxiway I turned it on for a couple of seconds and caught up to him so he ran the stop light. But this left my friends behind and plus it was quite clear that I had forgot to eat breakfast. So I backed way off and let my friends catch up. I had been doing 20 mph up that 4% climb to catch that flat bar guy.

With the new fork the bike is now 0.35 lbs lighter.

Made it back and went inside and got the bike off of the side of the house and into the garage., After a shower I went down into the garage and changed the fork. It took about 20 minutes and the only thing left to do is align the brake pads. That needs some light and there's not enough in the area I have for the Tommasini. So Next Thursday morning I will align the shoes and take the bike for a ride. I will do a 40 miler and stop at Peets coffee. The coffee this morning at Starbucks was the worst I'd ever got from them. They overloaded the basket with grounds and it was so strong that I was glad I had a small size cup.

Re: Weather and Riding

<c20f0e56-e2b1-4a56-8465-fefffb197319n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=77385&group=rec.bicycles.tech#77385

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 09:18:27 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Sun, 12 Mar 2023 16:18 UTC

On Saturday, March 11, 2023 at 3:23:20 PM UTC-8, Tom Kunich wrote:
> [...]
>
> With the new fork the bike is now 0.35 lbs lighter.
>
> Made it back and went inside and got the bike off of the side of the house and into the garage., After a shower I went down into the garage and changed the fork. It took about 20 minutes and the only thing left to do is align the brake pads. That needs some light and there's not enough in the area I have for the Tommasini. So Next Thursday morning I will align the shoes and take the bike for a ride. I will do a 40 miler and stop at Peets coffee.. The coffee this morning at Starbucks was the worst I'd ever got from them.. They overloaded the basket with grounds and it was so strong that I was glad I had a small size cup.

I am told that Flunky says that Pinarello never made an aluminum bike with an aluminum fork, But he also has said that he hadn't any trouble with a 10 speed Di2. I suppose that would be true if he didn't ride it. After the number of times he had humiliated himself I would think he would stop posting but fools rush in as the saying goes.

The Pinarello fork is white. I had intentions of painting it in the red, black and white pattern that is on the rest of the Tommasini but the white on the fork perfectly matches the slightly opalescent white of the Tommasini and looks perfectly OK as is.

Next Thursday is my usual 40 mile ride out to Pleasanton and the Tommasini will be ready. I will be interested in seeing the change in handling with the reduction in trail from the new fork. There is another oddity about the Pinarello fork - it was machined for a sealed bearing headset. I happen to have one on the Tommasini so that built-in headset taper worked perfectly without having to add any components.

This is the cue for Lieberman and Flunky to say that I'm lying. Lieberman can also tell you that he used to ride from his mountain home 5 miles down to Capitola for his mail and then ride back up that 9% climb. BYW Lieberman - the vaccines also appear to be causing a substantial increase in cancer. Who knows, perhaps if you're unlucky enough to develop cancer, it will be one of them that can be cured with the ultrasound devices I was in the process of developing. Would you turn down treatment from these devices because I worked on them? And instead turn to chemo?

Re: Weather and Riding

<0df1d45e-573d-4aca-8fce-b68f2f8ad627n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=77392&group=rec.bicycles.tech#77392

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 12:18:24 -0700 (PDT)
From: funkmast...@hotmail.com (funkma...@hotmail.com)
 by: funkma...@hotmail.co - Sun, 12 Mar 2023 19:18 UTC

On Sunday, March 12, 2023 at 12:18:29 PM UTC-4, Tom Kunich wrote:

> I am told that Flunky says that Pinarello never made an aluminum bike with an aluminum fork,

I never said that

> But he also has said that he hadn't any trouble with a 10 speed Di2.

I never said that.

>I suppose that would be true if he didn't ride it. After the number of times he had humiliated himself I would think he would stop posting but fools rush in as the saying goes.

Tell us again how you solved your shifting problems using special campagnolo non-stretch shifting cables?

> The Pinarello fork is white. I had intentions of painting it in the red, black and white pattern that is on the rest of the Tommasini but the white on the fork perfectly matches the slightly opalescent white of the Tommasini and looks perfectly OK as is.
>
> Next Thursday is my usual 40 mile ride out to Pleasanton and the Tommasini will be ready. I will be interested in seeing the change in handling with the reduction in trail from the new fork. There is another oddity about the Pinarello fork - it was machined for a sealed bearing headset. I happen to have one on the Tommasini so that built-in headset taper worked perfectly without having to add any components.
>
> This is the cue for Lieberman and Flunky to say that I'm lying.

No, the cue for me to say you're lying is that you wrote "I am told that Flunky says that Pinarello never made an aluminum bike with an aluminum fork, But he also has said that he hadn't any trouble with a 10 speed Di2." Those are both lies.

> Lieberman can also tell you that he used to ride from his mountain home 5 miles down to Capitola for his mail and then ride back up that 9% climb. BYW Lieberman - the vaccines also appear to be causing a substantial increase in cancer. Who knows, perhaps if you're unlucky enough to develop cancer, it will be one of them that can be cured with the ultrasound devices I was in the process of developing.

OK, that would be another cue for me to call out your lies. You never wroked on any ultrasound devices intended for "curing" cancer.

Re: Weather and Riding

<43as0idnv37af6h6f2mt0r9mvelqiddqrm@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=77396&group=rec.bicycles.tech#77396

From: jef...@cruzio.com (Jeff Liebermann)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 12:55:21 -0700
 by: Jeff Liebermann - Sun, 12 Mar 2023 19:55 UTC

On Sun, 12 Mar 2023 09:18:27 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
<cyclintom@gmail.com> wrote:

>This is the cue for Lieberman and Flunky to say that I'm lying. Lieberman can also tell you that he used to ride from his mountain home 5 miles down to Capitola for his mail and then ride back up that 9% climb.

Nope. I never said that. I never rode from Ben Lomond to Capitola by
bicycle, which is about 15 miles, not 5 miles.
<https://goo.gl/maps/cQFMjM1S6RXB9P5B6>
I could have easily done it downhill. I don't think I could have made
it uphill. I pickup my mail in Ben Lomond, not Capitola.

As usual, you invent numbers, lie about receiving message, pretend to
not read postings, and contrive fictitious events. I'm not worried
because nobody believe you. It's odd that you have to write stupid
things to attract attention. Are you worried that if you were honest,
people would consider that to be normal and ignore you?

That reminds me. Why did you close your Strava account? That was the
only evidence that you were telling the truth about your amazing
rides. Some seemed rather impressive. What happened? Did you
accidentally inflate your numbers because you couldn't reliably
recalibrate your Garmin 830 when moving between bicycles? It seems
odd that your ride postings and Strava rides don't indicate which
bicycle you were riding at the time. Or maybe it was because you
continued logging while you were driving your car at the end of the
ride? Or, perhaps you didn't receive the expected universal acclaim
for your riding skills? Your description claimed that you were
usually in a group of riders, yet Strava never showed any followers or
you following one of the other group members. What's the real story
behind you pulling the plug?

--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com
Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272

Re: Weather and Riding

<c9d0ef95-257a-4514-9400-9b37ea53e0c4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=77403&group=rec.bicycles.tech#77403

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 14:12:34 -0700 (PDT)
From: funkmast...@hotmail.com (funkma...@hotmail.com)
 by: funkma...@hotmail.co - Sun, 12 Mar 2023 21:12 UTC

On Sunday, March 12, 2023 at 3:55:34 PM UTC-4, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Mar 2023 09:18:27 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
> <cycl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >This is the cue for Lieberman and Flunky to say that I'm lying. Lieberman can also tell you that he used to ride from his mountain home 5 miles down to Capitola for his mail and then ride back up that 9% climb.
> Nope. I never said that. I never rode from Ben Lomond to Capitola by
> bicycle, which is about 15 miles, not 5 miles.
> <https://goo.gl/maps/cQFMjM1S6RXB9P5B6>
> I could have easily done it downhill. I don't think I could have made
> it uphill. I pickup my mail in Ben Lomond, not Capitola.
>
> As usual, you invent numbers, lie about receiving message, pretend to
> not read postings, and contrive fictitious events. I'm not worried
> because nobody believe you. It's odd that you have to write stupid
> things to attract attention. Are you worried that if you were honest,
> people would consider that to be normal and ignore you?
>
> That reminds me. Why did you close your Strava account? That was the
> only evidence that you were telling the truth about your amazing
> rides. Some seemed rather impressive. What happened? Did you
> accidentally inflate your numbers because you couldn't reliably
> recalibrate your Garmin 830 when moving between bicycles?

or it became obvious that he couldn't lie about his rides if he was posting GPS data.

> It seems
> odd that your ride postings and Strava rides don't indicate which
> bicycle you were riding at the time.

Meh, that's an option with a default. Half my rides show the wrong bike if I don't go back and fix it.

> Or maybe it was because you
> continued logging while you were driving your car at the end of the
> ride?

He did actually do that once. Got a KOM out of it IIRC.

> Or, perhaps you didn't receive the expected universal acclaim
> for your riding skills?

I do have to admit his riding is impressive for someone his age with his mental and physical issues. I might even give him kudos if he wasn't such a fucking dick all the time.

> Your description claimed that you were
> usually in a group of riders, yet Strava never showed any followers or
> you following one of the other group members.

His claims of group rides are fabrications. No one will ride with him because he's such a fucking dick all the time.

> What's the real story
> behind you pulling the plug?

I just wish he'd pull the plug on his PC.

Re: Weather and Riding

<fols0i5nkcg2mncg9ocfrtjrtnncsb68qh@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=77411&group=rec.bicycles.tech#77411

From: jef...@cruzio.com (Jeff Liebermann)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 16:45:43 -0700
 by: Jeff Liebermann - Sun, 12 Mar 2023 23:45 UTC

On Sun, 12 Mar 2023 14:12:34 -0700 (PDT), "funkma...@hotmail.com"
<funkmasterxx@hotmail.com> wrote:

>On Sunday, March 12, 2023 at 3:55:34?PM UTC-4, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
>> That reminds me. Why did you close your Strava account? That was the
>> only evidence that you were telling the truth about your amazing
>> rides. Some seemed rather impressive. What happened? Did you
>> accidentally inflate your numbers because you couldn't reliably
>> recalibrate your Garmin 830 when moving between bicycles?

>or it became obvious that he couldn't lie about his rides if he was posting GPS data.

When Tom first starting posting his rides on Strava, there was some
questions about the rather high speeds he was attaining. Most
everyone who replied, including me, suggested that he auto-calibrate
his cadence sensor and wheel circumference before every ride,
especially when he switched bicycles. I noted with disgust that never
indicated that he had done any calibration and from the discussion, I
doubt the he understood the purpose of the procedure and how it was to
be performed. Unfortunately, I have no proof of this, so this is just
a simple allegation, exactly like Tom's allegation about me riding to
Capitola to pickup my mail, and other examples. After all, if it's ok
with Tom to spew highly creative stories about my activities, it
should be quite acceptable if I do the same.

>> It seems
>> odd that your ride postings and Strava rides don't indicate which
>> bicycle you were riding at the time.
>
>Meh, that's an option with a default. Half my rides show the wrong bike if I don't go back and fix it.

This is (or was) a "tech" newsgroup, where the technical aspects of
cycling are major topics of discussion. Omitting technical details
such as which bicycle and which equipment were used in a ride are
counter to the intent of RBT.

>> Or maybe it was because you
>> continued logging while you were driving your car at the end of the
>> ride?
>
>He did actually do that once. Got a KOM out of it IIRC.

Yep, I remember that. Tom continued logging in his car after the ride
was over. I mentioned this and provided a link to the Strava page
which describes how to fix it. He ignored me, so I rewrote that
instructions and posted it to the thread. At least one other person
also mentioned the problem. It was never corrected. My guess(tm) is
Tom again didn't understand the purpose and procedure. If not, he
might have a aversion to accepting advice from anyone except himself.
I noticed that he would ignore all advice, with the exception of where
it might attract the attention of a newly arrived member of RBT. When
Tom was having problems with Yahoo and later with passwords, I offered
common sense suggestions and explanations. All my suggestions were
ignored to the point where Tom was claiming the he doesn't read my
posting, even though he quoted numbers from a recent message (on the
slope of San Francisco streets). He probably does follow advice in
RBT, but doesn't want anyone to know that, especially me.

>> Or, perhaps you didn't receive the expected universal acclaim
>> for your riding skills?
>
>I do have to admit his riding is impressive for someone his
>age with his mental and physical issues. I might even give
>him kudos if he wasn't such a fucking dick all the time.

I was totally surprised by his rides. With his track record of lies
and self-aggrandizement, I fully expected to eventually discover that
his amazing rides were fabrications. When they appeared on Strava, I
really was impressed and mentioned that I was impressed in various
postings. I wish I could do half as well. Then, Tom deleted his
account and everything was gone. Something had happened, but there
were explanation or clues. Perhaps he sold his Garmin 830 to pay the
income taxes on his $2 million in investments?

Incidentally, I was going to give Strava kudos to friends when I
discovered that there was no way to remove kudos once given:
<https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/articles/216918397-What-is-Kudos->
I decided that kudos was a bad idea and did nothing.

>> Your description claimed that you were
>> usually in a group of riders, yet Strava never showed any followers or
>> you following one of the other group members.

>His claims of group rides are fabrications. No one will ride with him
>because he's such a fucking dick all the time.

My guess(tm) is that it's a half truth. He certainly rides, but
there's no information about the size of the group. With each ride
description, the size the group seems to grow slightly. The Strava
data did show a regular schedule, so it's likely that the riders were
pre-arranged. I'll give Tom the benefit of the doubt here. While I
don't expect every rider to have a Strava account and record their
rides, I find it odd that none of Tom's riding group didn't also
record their rides. Since most of the rides were in the morning, I
would guess(tm) that they did not have regular working hours and were
either well-to-do or retired. I tried to find one of Tom's coffee
shop stops on the ride and failed. However, that might easily have
been my mistake.

>> What's the real story
>> behind you pulling the plug?
>
>I just wish he'd pull the plug on his PC.

Perhaps "cut the cord" with the power on? I've actually done that and
have the diagonal cutters with two large holes blown out of the blades
to prove it.

Tom has a Samsung Galaxy A51 5G UW SM-A516V Android smartphone. He
could probably continue polluting RTB with it should his PC fail to
function. I use this app on my phone for reading but not posting:
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.piaohong.newsgroup&hl=en_US&gl=US>

--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com
Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Re: Weather and Riding

<f8ss0ip2ln3pep6p6eivnkv8gnattvmrvt@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=77414&group=rec.bicycles.tech#77414

From: slocom...@gmail.com (John B.)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 07:45:26 +0700
 by: John B. - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 00:45 UTC

On Sun, 12 Mar 2023 16:45:43 -0700, Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com>
wrote:

>On Sun, 12 Mar 2023 14:12:34 -0700 (PDT), "funkma...@hotmail.com"
><funkmasterxx@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On Sunday, March 12, 2023 at 3:55:34?PM UTC-4, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
>>> That reminds me. Why did you close your Strava account? That was the
>>> only evidence that you were telling the truth about your amazing
>>> rides. Some seemed rather impressive. What happened? Did you
>>> accidentally inflate your numbers because you couldn't reliably
>>> recalibrate your Garmin 830 when moving between bicycles?
>
>>or it became obvious that he couldn't lie about his rides if he was posting GPS data.
>
>When Tom first starting posting his rides on Strava, there was some
>questions about the rather high speeds he was attaining. Most
>everyone who replied, including me, suggested that he auto-calibrate
>his cadence sensor and wheel circumference before every ride,
>especially when he switched bicycles. I noted with disgust that never
>indicated that he had done any calibration and from the discussion, I
>doubt the he understood the purpose of the procedure and how it was to
>be performed. Unfortunately, I have no proof of this, so this is just
>a simple allegation, exactly like Tom's allegation about me riding to
>Capitola to pickup my mail, and other examples. After all, if it's ok
>with Tom to spew highly creative stories about my activities, it
>should be quite acceptable if I do the same.

Well, there is a song about Going 'round the mountain at 90 miles an
hour.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5So8WTrL3H8
Perhaps Tom thinks he is a singer :-)

--
Cheers,

John B.

Re: Weather and Riding

<94bb46df-5def-4aaf-bbdf-64207d5236cen@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=77421&group=rec.bicycles.tech#77421

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 03:49:13 -0700 (PDT)
From: lou.holt...@gmail.com (Lou Holtman)
 by: Lou Holtman - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 10:49 UTC

On Monday, March 13, 2023 at 12:45:55 AM UTC+1, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
> [...]
> shop stops on the ride and failed. However, that might easily have
> been my mistake.
> >> What's the real story
> >> behind you pulling the plug?
> >
> >I just wish he'd pull the plug on his PC.
> Perhaps "cut the cord" with the power on? I've actually done that and
> have the diagonal cutters with two large holes blown out of the blades
> to prove it.
>
> Tom has a Samsung Galaxy A51 5G UW SM-A516V Android smartphone. He
> could probably continue polluting RTB with it should his PC fail to
> function. I use this app on my phone for reading but not posting:
> <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.piaohong.newsgroup&hl=en_US&gl=US>
> --
> Jeff Liebermann je...@cruzio.com
> PO Box 272 http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
> Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272
> Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Everyone has his own reasons to use Strava and IIRC is is started to motivate people to ride bike by bringing in some competition and thumbs up culture AKA kudo's. You can show other people (or not) your rides/achievements. Personally I only 'race' against myself. If I compare myself against other riders a use some filters at least on the same day (same weather conditions) and same gender/age category and I must say it motivates me to do my best. I made a request to Strava to make it possible to reset one's segments times. I want to see my progress during the season. Times set 10 years ago are of no value to me anymore. It is easy to manipulate segment times in order to get a KOM. I'm not into that. Last Friday I had best times for that day on all segments along my route. Why? Because there was no other fool riding two hours in the pouring rain and I mis-interpreted the weather forecast (dumb Apple weather app). I had to pour the water out of my winter shoes. That was fun.

https://www.strava.com/activities/8690615081

Lou

Re: Weather and Riding

<zgEPL.1631815$THq2.399207@fx08.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=77422&group=rec.bicycles.tech#77422

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
From: rog...@sarlet.com (Roger Meriman)
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 12:01:35 GMT
 by: Roger Meriman - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 12:01 UTC

Lou Holtman <lou.holtman@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> up culture AKA kudo's. You can show other people (or not) your
> rides/achievements. Personally I only 'race' against myself. If I compare
> myself against other riders a use some filters at least on the same day
> (same weather conditions) and same gender/age category and I must say it
> motivates me to do my best. I made a request to Strava to make it
> possible to reset one's segments times. I want to see my progress during
> the season. Times set 10 years ago are of no value to me anymore. It is
> easy to manipulate segment times in order to get a KOM. I'm not into
> that. Last Friday I had best times for that day on all segments along my
> route. Why? Because there was no other fool riding two hours in the
> pouring rain and I mis-interpreted the weather forecast (dumb Apple
> weather app). I had to pour the water out of my winter shoes. That was fun.

Set goals maybe? I occasionally do that though in truth they it’s more you
haven’t ridden that in ages that actually I want to go faster.

For myself it’s complicated by having two off road bikes, some of my
cycling mates have said “how on earth did you get down that descent in
under X mins? To which the answer is on my MTB!

While they both can to a point ride the trails the times and ride differ
sometimes greatly!

I use Strava for social and mapping plus I do use some of the performance
features though perhaps not in the way intended?

Roger Merriman

Re: Weather and Riding

<e4fcb7ba-481a-4c4c-a6fe-e327783d6dc9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=77426&group=rec.bicycles.tech#77426

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 07:50:05 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 14:50 UTC

On Monday, March 13, 2023 at 3:49:15 AM UTC-7, Lou Holtman wrote:
> [...]
> Everyone has his own reasons to use Strava and IIRC is is started to motivate people to ride bike by bringing in some competition and thumbs up culture AKA kudo's. You can show other people (or not) your rides/achievements. Personally I only 'race' against myself. If I compare myself against other riders a use some filters at least on the same day (same weather conditions) and same gender/age category and I must say it motivates me to do my best. I made a request to Strava to make it possible to reset one's segments times. I want to see my progress during the season. Times set 10 years ago are of no value to me anymore. It is easy to manipulate segment times in order to get a KOM. I'm not into that. Last Friday I had best times for that day on all segments along my route. Why? Because there was no other fool riding two hours in the pouring rain and I mis-interpreted the weather forecast (dumb Apple weather app). I had to pour the water out of my winter shoes. That was fun.

I understand that young men have a competitive urge and I applaud that. It is the drive that makes improvements on every front of society. But there is a limit to that. Someone 30 years old patting himself on the back because he can ride faster than someone in their 80's is directly at the root of Strava and you know it. Most people simply are not capable of choosing the right bike and right components to be competitive against others and they fall back on impressing themselves by using large age differences to break Strava "records" of older people. That is why I stopped using Strava way back.. I forgot that and rejoined only to be faced with the same thing again. You have to admit when some POS like Lieberman is commenting on Strava that it has become little more than a laughing stock to most people.

Re: Weather and Riding

<4ccf3608-4e35-428d-9231-9eee656d636en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=77427&group=rec.bicycles.tech#77427

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 08:38:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: funkmast...@hotmail.com (funkma...@hotmail.com)
 by: funkma...@hotmail.co - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 15:38 UTC

On Monday, March 13, 2023 at 6:49:15 AM UTC-4, Lou Holtman wrote:
> [...]
> Everyone has his own reasons to use Strava and IIRC is is started to motivate people to ride bike by bringing in some competition and thumbs up culture AKA kudo's. You can show other people (or not) your rides/achievements. Personally I only 'race' against myself. If I compare myself against other riders a use some filters at least on the same day (same weather conditions) and same gender/age category and I must say it motivates me to do my best. I made a request to Strava to make it possible to reset one's segments times. I want to see my progress during the season. Times set 10 years ago are of no value to me anymore. It is easy to manipulate segment times in order to get a KOM. I'm not into that. Last Friday I had best times for that day on all segments along my route. Why? Because there was no other fool riding two hours in the pouring rain and I mis-interpreted the weather forecast (dumb Apple weather app). I had to pour the water out of my winter shoes. That was fun.

If you have joined Strava as a premium member it allows a great deal of filtering on segment performance, including progress in one season. If you're just a basic (free) member you'd have to go in to each individual ride to do a comparison, but the data is still there. I have to say I joined and use it for all the reasons you state. I do find it to be very useful and convenient.

Re: Weather and Riding

<c0cb20e5-8d14-423f-b71f-c363f311f3a5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=77428&group=rec.bicycles.tech#77428

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 08:48:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: lou.holt...@gmail.com (Lou Holtman)
 by: Lou Holtman - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 15:48 UTC

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Weather and Riding

<tungv3$3qtn1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=77431&group=rec.bicycles.tech#77431

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 08:54:11 -0700
 by: sms - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 15:54 UTC

On 3/12/2023 4:45 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

<snip?

> When Tom first starting posting his rides on Strava, there was some
> questions about the rather high speeds he was attaining. Most
> everyone who replied, including me, suggested that he auto-calibrate
> his cadence sensor and wheel circumference before every ride,
> especially when he switched bicycles. I noted with disgust that never
> indicated that he had done any calibration and from the discussion, I
> doubt the he understood the purpose of the procedure and how it was to
> be performed. Unfortunately, I have no proof of this, so this is just
> a simple allegation, exactly like Tom's allegation about me riding to
> Capitola to pickup my mail, and other examples. After all, if it's ok
> with Tom to spew highly creative stories about my activities, it
> should be quite acceptable if I do the same.

On Saturday's ride I was with a former colleague from Israel who was
using Strava. He said that often riders will not stop the app when they
are done riding and then will put the bike on the car and drive
somewhere with Strava still going so the data is wrong.

My old Cateye computer recorded the exact same distance as his Strava on
Saturday which kind of surprised me since I don't recall precisely
calibrating the bike computer.

I thought about getting Strava but I really don't need that much
information about my rides for that much money.

Re: Weather and Riding

<2ef333f4-9195-4159-a95e-da9168264ba9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=77432&group=rec.bicycles.tech#77432

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 08:55:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: funkmast...@hotmail.com (funkma...@hotmail.com)
 by: funkma...@hotmail.co - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 15:55 UTC

On Monday, March 13, 2023 at 11:48:59 AM UTC-4, Lou Holtman wrote:
> On Monday, March 13, 2023 at 4:38:51 PM UTC+1, funkma...@hotmail.com wrote:

> > > Everyone has his own reasons to use Strava and IIRC is is started to motivate people to ride bike by bringing in some competition and thumbs up culture AKA kudo's. You can show other people (or not) your rides/achievements. Personally I only 'race' against myself. If I compare myself against other riders a use some filters at least on the same day (same weather conditions) and same gender/age category and I must say it motivates me to do my best. I made a request to Strava to make it possible to reset one's segments times. I want to see my progress during the season. Times set 10 years ago are of no value to me anymore. It is easy to manipulate segment times in order to get a KOM. I'm not into that. Last Friday I had best times for that day on all segments along my route. Why? Because there was no other fool riding two hours in the pouring rain and I mis-interpreted the weather forecast (dumb Apple weather app). I had to pour the water out of my winter shoes. That was fun.
> > >
> > > https://www.strava.com/activities/8690615081
> > >
> > If you have joined Strava as a premium member it allows a great deal of filtering on segment performance, including progress in one season. If you're just a basic (free) member you'd have to go in to each individual ride to do a comparison, but the data is still there. I have to say I joined and use it for all the reasons you state. I do find it to be very useful and convenient.
> I am a premium member. Can I set a default filtering? How do I do that? Now I do that for every ride if I want to know.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Weather and Riding

<27e56b3c-2861-4f43-8545-d325c36ad9ban@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=77433&group=rec.bicycles.tech#77433

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 08:57:47 -0700 (PDT)
From: funkmast...@hotmail.com (funkma...@hotmail.com)
 by: funkma...@hotmail.co - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 15:57 UTC

On Monday, March 13, 2023 at 11:54:14 AM UTC-4, sms wrote:
> On 3/12/2023 4:45 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
>
> <snip?
> > When Tom first starting posting his rides on Strava, there was some
> > questions about the rather high speeds he was attaining. Most
> > everyone who replied, including me, suggested that he auto-calibrate
> > his cadence sensor and wheel circumference before every ride,
> > especially when he switched bicycles. I noted with disgust that never
> > indicated that he had done any calibration and from the discussion, I
> > doubt the he understood the purpose of the procedure and how it was to
> > be performed. Unfortunately, I have no proof of this, so this is just
> > a simple allegation, exactly like Tom's allegation about me riding to
> > Capitola to pickup my mail, and other examples. After all, if it's ok
> > with Tom to spew highly creative stories about my activities, it
> > should be quite acceptable if I do the same.
> On Saturday's ride I was with a former colleague from Israel who was
> using Strava. He said that often riders will not stop the app when they
> are done riding and then will put the bike on the car and drive
> somewhere with Strava still going so the data is wrong.
>
> My old Cateye computer recorded the exact same distance as his Strava on
> Saturday which kind of surprised me since I don't recall precisely
> calibrating the bike computer.
>
> I thought about getting Strava but I really don't need that much
> information about my rides for that much money.

The basic membership is free.

Re: Weather and Riding

<tunhvv$3r583$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=77434&group=rec.bicycles.tech#77434

From: new...@hartig-mantel.de (Rolf Mantel)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 17:11:43 +0100
 by: Rolf Mantel - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 16:11 UTC

Am 13.03.2023 um 16:54 schrieb sms:
> On 3/12/2023 4:45 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
>
> <snip?
>
>> When Tom first starting posting his rides on Strava, there was some
>> questions about the rather high speeds he was attaining.  Most
>> everyone who replied, including me, suggested that he auto-calibrate
>> his cadence sensor and wheel circumference before every ride,
>> especially when he switched bicycles.  I noted with disgust that never
>> indicated that he had done any calibration and from the discussion, I
>> doubt the he understood the purpose of the procedure and how it was to
>> be performed.  Unfortunately, I have no proof of this, so this is just
>> a simple allegation, exactly like Tom's allegation about me riding to
>> Capitola to pickup my mail, and other examples.  After all, if it's ok
>> with Tom to spew highly creative stories about my activities, it
>> should be quite acceptable if I do the same.
>
> On Saturday's ride I was with a former colleague from Israel who was
> using Strava. He said that often riders will not stop the app when they
> are done riding and then will put the bike on the car and drive
> somewhere with Strava still going so the data is wrong.

This does happen by accident occasionally. On the PC you can adjust the
'end of ride' afterwards (just did that for my most recent Sunday hike
both on Strava and on Komoot).

Rolf

Re: Weather and Riding

<04d36610-7d77-419c-b005-116eaab2e8e6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=77435&group=rec.bicycles.tech#77435

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 09:32:00 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 16:32 UTC

On Monday, March 13, 2023 at 9:11:46 AM UTC-7, Rolf Mantel wrote:
> Am 13.03.2023 um 16:54 schrieb sms:
> > On 3/12/2023 4:45 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
> >
> > <snip?
> >
> >> When Tom first starting posting his rides on Strava, there was some
> >> questions about the rather high speeds he was attaining. Most
> >> everyone who replied, including me, suggested that he auto-calibrate
> >> his cadence sensor and wheel circumference before every ride,
> >> especially when he switched bicycles. I noted with disgust that never
> >> indicated that he had done any calibration and from the discussion, I
> >> doubt the he understood the purpose of the procedure and how it was to
> >> be performed. Unfortunately, I have no proof of this, so this is just
> >> a simple allegation, exactly like Tom's allegation about me riding to
> >> Capitola to pickup my mail, and other examples. After all, if it's ok
> >> with Tom to spew highly creative stories about my activities, it
> >> should be quite acceptable if I do the same.
> >
> > On Saturday's ride I was with a former colleague from Israel who was
> > using Strava. He said that often riders will not stop the app when they
> > are done riding and then will put the bike on the car and drive
> > somewhere with Strava still going so the data is wrong.
> This does happen by accident occasionally. On the PC you can adjust the
> 'end of ride' afterwards (just did that for my most recent Sunday hike
> both on Strava and on Komoot).
>
> Rolf

As is usual, Lieberman is so full of shit it's coming out of his ears since the Garmin auto calibrates wheel diameter against the GPS distance. He simply cannot keep himself from criticism because he has nothing left of his life. He would be pitiful if he didn't continue to do it day after day. One would have to wonder what is going on in his mind if he even had one. My distances are logged in the Garmin files.

Re: Weather and Riding

<f3su0ilvm30f311l0j3oq401ehgp1f4qe5@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=77436&group=rec.bicycles.tech#77436

From: jef...@cruzio.com (Jeff Liebermann)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 12:26:16 -0700
 by: Jeff Liebermann - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 19:26 UTC

On Mon, 13 Mar 2023 03:49:13 -0700 (PDT), Lou Holtman
<lou.holtman@gmail.com> wrote:
>Everyone has his own reasons to use Strava and IIRC is is started to motivate people to ride bike by bringing in some competition and thumbs up culture AKA kudo's.

That's a good reason for using Strava. I started using Strava
because:
- Basic is free.
- It was a common topic of discussions in various forums and I wanted
to obtain some experience. I'm very interested in cartography and GPS
related topics and there seems to be some connection with Strava.
- Everyone I know who rides also uses Strava.
- My cardiologist wanted to see a record of my exercise activities.

The last reason is somewhat of a contradiction. I had a heart bypass
operation in 2001. Part of the recovery involves establishing an
exercise routine. At the time, the therapists suggested that I should
NOT measure or record my distances and speeds and just try to keep the
heart rate up to a specified rate. I did this for many years with
acceptable results. A few years ago, a different cardiologist decided
that I should record my performance to look for any long term
deterioration. For walking, that's easy to do with almost any sports
watch. I have not been able to ride for several years, so recording
my bicycle riding performance was not a consideration. So, I recorded
my walks:
<https://www.strava.com/athletes/103870441>
I presented a printed version of my walks to my cardiologist, who
grunted, handed them back, and said nothing further.

"How do I track Cardiac Rehabilitation in my patient with ischemic
heart disease using Strava"
<https://www.researchgate.net/publication/334283905_How_do_I_track_Cardiac_Rehabilitation_in_my_patient_with_ischemic_heart_disease_using_Strava>

>You can show other people (or not) your rides/achievements.

I believe that was the main reason that Tom posted his Strava records.
I find reading his amazing ride stories somewhat difficult to believe.
However, an accurate Strava record is sufficient proof. I believe
your comments in RBT were a major factor in convincing Tom to post his
Strava rides.

>Personally I only 'race' against myself. If I compare myself against other riders a use some filters at least on the same day (same weather conditions) and same gender/age category and I must say it motivates me to do my best. I made a request to Strava to make it possible to reset one's segments times. I want to see my progress during the season. Times set 10 years ago are of no value to me anymore. It is easy to manipulate segment times in order to get a KOM. I'm not into that.

I'm not yet sufficiently familiar with Strava to know how to cheat.
That can come later. I'm also not very competitive. I consider
finishing a walk or ride as a major (personal) achievement. If I need
to follow the numbers, I just record the number of times I need to
stop on a hike to catch my breath. That's usually a fair indication
of my condition.

>Last Friday I had best times for that day on all segments along my route. Why? Because there was no other fool riding two hours in the pouring rain and I mis-interpreted the weather forecast (dumb Apple weather app). I had to pour the water out of my winter shoes. That was fun.
>
>https://www.strava.com/activities/8690615081
>
>Lou

I like your dedication. I would have turned around and gone back
home.
--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com
Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Re: Weather and Riding

<77uu0it43pnktnucqcleogphn2d57smpkb@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=77437&group=rec.bicycles.tech#77437

From: jef...@cruzio.com (Jeff Liebermann)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 12:50:49 -0700
 by: Jeff Liebermann - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 19:50 UTC

On Mon, 13 Mar 2023 08:54:11 -0700, sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com>
wrote:

>On 3/12/2023 4:45 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
>
><snip?
>
>> When Tom first starting posting his rides on Strava, there was some
>> questions about the rather high speeds he was attaining. Most
>> everyone who replied, including me, suggested that he auto-calibrate
>> his cadence sensor and wheel circumference before every ride,
>> especially when he switched bicycles. I noted with disgust that never
>> indicated that he had done any calibration and from the discussion, I
>> doubt the he understood the purpose of the procedure and how it was to
>> be performed. Unfortunately, I have no proof of this, so this is just
>> a simple allegation, exactly like Tom's allegation about me riding to
>> Capitola to pickup my mail, and other examples. After all, if it's ok
>> with Tom to spew highly creative stories about my activities, it
>> should be quite acceptable if I do the same.

>On Saturday's ride I was with a former colleague from Israel who was
>using Strava. He said that often riders will not stop the app when they
>are done riding and then will put the bike on the car and drive
>somewhere with Strava still going so the data is wrong.

I suspect that literally everyone who uses Strava has done that at
least once. It took me a while to learn how to crop (truncate) a
segment:
"Cropping a Strava Segment"
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkEdM10e0gA>
"Crop Tool for Activities"
<https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/articles/216919437-Crop-Tool-for-Activities>

>My old Cateye computer recorded the exact same distance as his Strava on
>Saturday which kind of surprised me since I don't recall precisely
>calibrating the bike computer.

When we go hiking, I use the Strava smartphone app to record the walk,
while one of my friends uses his Apple watch (not sure which model),
and another uses an iPhone 13. The distance and elevation changes
tend to vary a little between devices. I haven't bothered to
determine why.

>I thought about getting Strava but I really don't need that much
>information about my rides for that much money.

The basic version is free. Collect the data now. You might
eventually find a use for it. The smarphone app works well enough for
data collection.

--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com
Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Re: Weather and Riding

<0c038d42-37af-4279-ac3b-e100490652ccn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=77439&group=rec.bicycles.tech#77439

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 13:50:54 -0700 (PDT)
From: funkmast...@hotmail.com (funkma...@hotmail.com)
 by: funkma...@hotmail.co - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 20:50 UTC

On Monday, March 13, 2023 at 3:51:02 PM UTC-4, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

> When we go hiking, I use the Strava smartphone app to record the walk,
> while one of my friends uses his Apple watch (not sure which model),
> and another uses an iPhone 13. The distance and elevation changes
> tend to vary a little between devices. I haven't bothered to
> determine why.

There is a well-known blogger who goes by DC Rainmaker. He does exceptionally good deep dives into fitness product comparisons, generally by instrumenting himself up with several monitors at once to get comparative data (better to account for environmental anomalies). Here is an example comparing a Pixel watch to a fitbit2, a Suunto 9, a Garmin MARQ 2 multi-band GPS, and a Garmin Epix.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2022/10/google-pixel-watch-in-depth-review-a-promising-start.html

Click on the "GPS & Heart Rate Accuracy" tab, then scroll down to:

"You may be noticing the green line of the Fitbit Sense 2 doesn’t actually look too bad. But look more closely: It actually loses GPS entirely each pass, and is simply connecting the dots when it finds GPS again at either end of the city blocks. Thus by pure dumb-luck it manages to put down a mildly acceptable track."

Followed by the overlays of the tracking.

He referred to the fitbit 2 earlier on as a "dumpster fire ....Arguably, the worst optical HR data I’ve ever seen in a wearable." FWIW - He's actually a sought-out reviewer who has the ear of a number of product development managers at various companies.

His website has literally dozens of side-by-side comparisons of various products across the

This doesn't explain what creates the anomalies you mention, but you of all people should be aware its based on a number of factors - sampling rates of the GPS driver in the product, receiver sensitivity, conversion of the data to the tracing function, etc....Almost to much to accurately quantify.

Re: Weather and Riding

<q64v0ih662eqs70850ism9vnli94lesqsg@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=77440&group=rec.bicycles.tech#77440

From: solo...@drafting.not (Catrike Rider)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 17:12:58 -0400
References: <6f1329e3-b3c4-4366-8249-fed9ff93a4a7n@googlegroups.com> <e0e8d25c-010d-4351-ab18-4b660ccc4e14n@googlegroups.com> <c20f0e56-e2b1-4a56-8465-fefffb197319n@googlegroups.com> <43as0idnv37af6h6f2mt0r9mvelqiddqrm@4ax.com> <c9d0ef95-257a-4514-9400-9b37ea53e0c4n@googlegroups.com> <fols0i5nkcg2mncg9ocfrtjrtnncsb68qh@4ax.com> <94bb46df-5def-4aaf-bbdf-64207d5236cen@googlegroups.com> <f3su0ilvm30f311l0j3oq401ehgp1f4qe5@4ax.com>
 by: Catrike Rider - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 21:12 UTC

On Mon, 13 Mar 2023 12:26:16 -0700, Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com>
wrote:

> [...]
>
>I'm not yet sufficiently familiar with Strava to know how to cheat.
>That can come later. I'm also not very competitive. I consider
>finishing a walk or ride as a major (personal) achievement. If I need
>to follow the numbers, I just record the number of times I need to
>stop on a hike to catch my breath. That's usually a fair indication
>of my condition.
>
>>Last Friday I had best times for that day on all segments along my route. Why? Because there was no other fool riding two hours in the pouring rain and I mis-interpreted the weather forecast (dumb Apple weather app). I had to pour the water out of my winter shoes. That was fun.
>>
>>https://www.strava.com/activities/8690615081
>>
>>Lou
>
>I like your dedication. I would have turned around and gone back

I get more data from Garmin Connect than the free basic Strava. I can
also transfer all the ride data to my Excel file. I have a basic
Strava account but I never look at it.

Re: Weather and Riding

<f49a5997-e5df-44d2-b66a-bdeb5146bf98n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=77441&group=rec.bicycles.tech#77441

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 14:41:10 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 21:41 UTC

On Monday, March 13, 2023 at 2:13:01 PM UTC-7, Catrike Rider wrote:
> [...]
> >finishing a walk or ride as a major (personal) achievement. If I need
> >to follow the numbers, I just record the number of times I need to
> >stop on a hike to catch my breath. That's usually a fair indication
> >of my condition.
> >
> >>Last Friday I had best times for that day on all segments along my route. Why? Because there was no other fool riding two hours in the pouring rain and I mis-interpreted the weather forecast (dumb Apple weather app). I had to pour the water out of my winter shoes. That was fun.
> >>
> >>https://www.strava.com/activities/8690615081
> >>
> >>Lou
> >
> >I like your dedication. I would have turned around and gone back
> >home.
> I get more data from Garmin Connect than the free basic Strava. I can
> also transfer all the ride data to my Excel file. I have a basic

Better be careful. Lieberman will soon call your bank to get your bank balance. He will tell you that your membership card to any club you happen to be a member of "looks funny" and he will tell you to the penny what your investments are worth and how a Garmin really works despite having the slightest clue about any of them.

This guy has obviously increasing dementia so he won't last a great deal longer.

Re: Weather and Riding

<tuom2k$1792$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=77449&group=rec.bicycles.tech#77449

From: frkry...@sbcglobal.net (Frank Krygowski)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 22:27:32 -0400
 by: Frank Krygowski - Tue, 14 Mar 2023 02:27 UTC

On 3/13/2023 3:50 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

> When we go hiking, I use the Strava smartphone app to record the walk,
> while one of my friends uses his Apple watch (not sure which model),
> and another uses an iPhone 13. The distance and elevation changes
> tend to vary a little between devices. I haven't bothered to
> determine why.
>
>> ... The smarphone app works well enough for
> data collection.

ISTM "well enough" depends on one's objective; and I struggle to think
of an objective that really requires high accuracy in bike ride data.
I'd think even someone training for racing needs precision (i.e.
consistency) rather than high accuracy (i.e. exactly correct values of
speed, distance, altitude change, etc.)

And I'd think someone who is not actively training for competition needs
only fairly crude results, perhaps only for low level motivational
purposes, like "I'm going to try to ride 10% farther this month."

Serious question: What exactly do you guys do with all that data?

--
- Frank Krygowski

Re: Weather and Riding

<sKXPL.3062175$odm4.1221102@fx14.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=77452&group=rec.bicycles.tech#77452

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
From: rog...@sarlet.com (Roger Meriman)
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2023 10:10:32 GMT
 by: Roger Meriman - Tue, 14 Mar 2023 10:10 UTC

Frank Krygowski <frkrygow@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 3/13/2023 3:50 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
>>
>> When we go hiking, I use the Strava smartphone app to record the walk,
>> while one of my friends uses his Apple watch (not sure which model),
>> and another uses an iPhone 13. The distance and elevation changes
>> tend to vary a little between devices. I haven't bothered to
>> determine why.
>>
>>> ... The smarphone app works well enough for
>> data collection.
>
> ISTM "well enough" depends on one's objective; and I struggle to think
> of an objective that really requires high accuracy in bike ride data.
> I'd think even someone training for racing needs precision (i.e.
> consistency) rather than high accuracy (i.e. exactly correct values of
> speed, distance, altitude change, etc.)

It used to be somewhat iffy, would drift over and end up with straight
lines on the GPS trace but modern phones are close enough now, I use my
phone in the car as GPS, works fine.

Like with the bike battery life is a issue, and like the car need to mount
the phone somewhere.

For the car makes sense as my car is so old and so on but on the bike it’s
hassle ie for any longer rides will need a power pack etc.

> And I'd think someone who is not actively training for competition needs
> only fairly crude results, perhaps only for low level motivational
> purposes, like "I'm going to try to ride 10% farther this month."
>
> Serious question: What exactly do you guys do with all that data?

For me it’s much less about data, I use Strava which the Garmin auto
magically syncs over routes I’ve made or rarely others.

Ie in terms of data navigation and with that routes and that comes with
“ClimbPro” so I can see what grades are coming up!

I do like logging the rides and so I have a calendar which I can see oh I
rode in the peaks then and so on, and see the photos I took.

Probably the only data I use is the mileage tally’s on the various bikes to
know I really should check X bikes chain or change brake pads or so on.

Not as much help at moment as the bikes have had upgrades so historical
duration isn’t much use.

Do I count yearly mileage? Personally no clearly Strava does but a) I tend
not to chase mileage b) if i’m out on the MTB a big ride is 20miles due to
the terrain, vs 60/70 on the Gravel bike, and maybe 80/100 on road.

So for me it’s more route planning and social aspect really I do use some
of the performance tools such as live segments and so on but realistically
I rarely chase times as it’s not my thing.

Roger Merriman