Noncombatant: A dead Quaker. -- Ambrose Bierce

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Re: Weather

SubjectAuthor
* WeatherTom Kunich
+- Re: WeatherFrank Krygowski
`* Re: WeatherJeff Liebermann
 +* Re: WeatherRoger Meriman
 |`* Re: WeatherTom Kunich
 | `* Re: WeatherTom Kunich
 |  +* Re: WeatherFrank Krygowski
 |  |+* Re: WeatherRoger Meriman
 |  ||`* Re: WeatherTom Kunich
 |  || `* Re: WeatherAMuzi
 |  ||  +* Re: WeatherTom Kunich
 |  ||  |`- Re: WeatherFrank Krygowski
 |  ||  `* Re: Weatherfunkma...@hotmail.com
 |  ||   `* Re: WeatherWilliam Crowell
 |  ||    `- Re: WeatherTom Kunich
 |  |`- Re: Weatherfunkma...@hotmail.com
 |  `- Re: WeatherJohn B.
 `* Re: Weathersms
  `* Re: WeatherJeff Liebermann
   `- Re: Weathersms

1
Weather

<bc8d73cb-fc72-4b93-ac08-40c4056abcffn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=77195&group=rec.bicycles.tech#77195

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2023 10:19:14 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Weather
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Wed, 8 Mar 2023 18:19 UTC

We're about to be stuck by another "atmospheric river" but it is warm enough now that it will be largely rain below 7,500 feet. All of the reservoirs in the state are at maximum capacity and southern California has a snowpack 250% of normal.

This latest rain that will stretch across the next week along with the earth so filled with water now that there are land and mudslides everywhere will soak down into the soil and refresh the water table. All of the scare tactics of the left have been totally thrown out the window. It must be pretty miserable for the stupid 5 not to have something to threaten people with.

Election Fraud is clearly on the horizon since the Red Wave is so high. The Blue meanies have no other way of retaining power. What even worse for Democrats are that the young people are growing up into a world in which the Democrats have destroyed the economy, overspent trillions and done things like demand non-working masks, force vaccines on you that CAUSE covid-19 as well as blood clots Myo and Peri Carditis and what is looking like a pandemic of an AIDS-like illness that is caused by the vaccines and is incurable.

Not everyone is liable to get this illness but a substantial part of the population in numbers since over 54 million people were vaccinated multiple times.

The Supreme Court is going to be faced with the legal protection of Big Pharm allowing them to experiment on the world's population and I do not think that such protections are going to stand up.

More and more studies are showing that just as I said, covid-19 was NOT a dangerous disease and that after April of 2020, deaths were not due specifically from a respiratory illness but multiple comorbities commonly connected to obesity.

After 50% of the way through 2021, MOST of the deaths were due entirely to the vaccines. I am sure that ANY company that forced vaccines upon people who thereafter suffered destroyed health will be held accountable in this worst medical disaster in history.

The plug has been pulled on the Democrats simply by a rainy year.

Re: Weather

<tub32u$1441d$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=77213&group=rec.bicycles.tech#77213

From: frkry...@sbcglobal.net (Frank Krygowski)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Weather
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2023 17:43:41 -0500
 by: Frank Krygowski - Wed, 8 Mar 2023 22:43 UTC

On 3/8/2023 1:19 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> We're about to be stuck by another "atmospheric river" but it is warm enough now that it will be largely rain below 7,500 feet. All of the reservoirs in the state are at maximum capacity and southern California has a snowpack 250% of normal.
>
> This latest rain that will stretch across the next week along with the earth so filled with water now that there are land and mudslides everywhere will soak down into the soil and refresh the water table. All of the scare tactics of the left have been totally thrown out the window. It must be pretty miserable for the stupid 5 not to have something to threaten people with.
>
> Election Fraud is clearly on the horizon since the Red Wave is so high. The Blue meanies have no other way of retaining power. What even worse for Democrats are that the young people are growing up into a world in which the Democrats have destroyed the economy, overspent trillions and done things like demand non-working masks, force vaccines on you that CAUSE covid-19 as well as blood clots Myo and Peri Carditis and what is looking like a pandemic of an AIDS-like illness that is caused by the vaccines and is incurable.
>
> Not everyone is liable to get this illness but a substantial part of the population in numbers since over 54 million people were vaccinated multiple times.
>
> The Supreme Court is going to be faced with the legal protection of Big Pharm allowing them to experiment on the world's population and I do not think that such protections are going to stand up.
>
> More and more studies are showing that just as I said, covid-19 was NOT a dangerous disease and that after April of 2020, deaths were not due specifically from a respiratory illness but multiple comorbities commonly connected to obesity.
>
> After 50% of the way through 2021, MOST of the deaths were due entirely to the vaccines. I am sure that ANY company that forced vaccines upon people who thereafter suffered destroyed health will be held accountable in this worst medical disaster in history.
>
> The plug has been pulled on the Democrats simply by a rainy year.

Someone once promised to reform himself and post only bike related
remarks. Anyone remember who that was?

--
- Frank Krygowski

Re: Weather

<njji0i513i0qngdlcph3ov6uejs91ht2nk@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=77228&group=rec.bicycles.tech#77228

From: jef...@cruzio.com (Jeff Liebermann)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2023 19:29:12 -0800
 by: Jeff Liebermann - Thu, 9 Mar 2023 03:29 UTC

On Wed, 8 Mar 2023 10:19:14 -0800 (PST), Tom Kunich
<cyclintom@gmail.com> wrote:

>All of the reservoirs in the state are at maximum capacity and southern California has a snowpack 250% of normal.

>This latest rain that will stretch across the next week along with the earth so filled with water now that there are land and mudslides everywhere will soak down into the soil and refresh the water table.

It's not enough for the ground water to return to normal. Even with
the current rain and snow, we are drawing more water out of the ground
than we are replacing it. Much of the state is still in some form of
drought:
"California Drought Map"
<https://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/CurrentMap/StateDroughtMonitor.aspx?CA>
"Lake Mead Water Database"
<https://lakemead.water-data.com/>

If the ground is genuinely saturated, then most of the upcoming
rainfall runoff will end up in the ocean and not in the ground. The
water table is only replenished when the ground is NOT saturated.

Also, the rainfall was rather spotty, bypassing many areas where the
rain was really needed. For example, Lake Mead is down about 20ft
from last year, nowhere near "normal" and currently dropping:
<https://mead.uslakes.info/level.asp>
That's 173ft below full pool which is going to take many years of
heavy rain to catch up.

--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com
Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272

Re: Weather

<kDnOL.1909812$US27.1725336@fx01.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=77241&group=rec.bicycles.tech#77241

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
From: rog...@sarlet.com (Roger Meriman)
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2023 16:16:16 GMT
 by: Roger Meriman - Thu, 9 Mar 2023 16:16 UTC

Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Mar 2023 10:19:14 -0800 (PST), Tom Kunich
> <cyclintom@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> All of the reservoirs in the state are at maximum capacity and southern
>> California has a snowpack 250% of normal.
>
>> This latest rain that will stretch across the next week along with the
>> earth so filled with water now that there are land and mudslides
>> everywhere will soak down into the soil and refresh the water table.
>
> It's not enough for the ground water to return to normal. Even with
> the current rain and snow, we are drawing more water out of the ground
> than we are replacing it. Much of the state is still in some form of
> drought:
> "California Drought Map"
> <https://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/CurrentMap/StateDroughtMonitor.aspx?CA>
> "Lake Mead Water Database"
> <https://lakemead.water-data.com/>
>
> If the ground is genuinely saturated, then most of the upcoming
> rainfall runoff will end up in the ocean and not in the ground. The
> water table is only replenished when the ground is NOT saturated.
>
> Also, the rainfall was rather spotty, bypassing many areas where the
> rain was really needed. For example, Lake Mead is down about 20ft
> from last year, nowhere near "normal" and currently dropping:
> <https://mead.uslakes.info/level.asp>
> That's 173ft below full pool which is going to take many years of
> heavy rain to catch up.

Even over here, been for a soggy ride, a few bits of snow visible plus a
rather nice old Raleigh bike at the bike shop/cafe at end of ride.

But I know that the reservoir’s are still not topped up as it’s been a
unusually dry winter.

Even had fires on the Welsh hills which is bad sign for spring let alone
summer!

Roger Merriman

Re: Weather

<c7671ada-315e-479d-a09c-876d2ff3d718n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=77244&group=rec.bicycles.tech#77244

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2023 08:30:52 -0800 (PST)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Thu, 9 Mar 2023 16:30 UTC

On Thursday, March 9, 2023 at 8:16:19 AM UTC-8, Roger Meriman wrote:
> Jeff Liebermann <je...@cruzio.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, 8 Mar 2023 10:19:14 -0800 (PST), Tom Kunich
> > <cycl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> All of the reservoirs in the state are at maximum capacity and southern
> >> California has a snowpack 250% of normal.
> >
> >> This latest rain that will stretch across the next week along with the
> >> earth so filled with water now that there are land and mudslides
> >> everywhere will soak down into the soil and refresh the water table.
> >
> > It's not enough for the ground water to return to normal. Even with
> > the current rain and snow, we are drawing more water out of the ground
> > than we are replacing it. Much of the state is still in some form of
> > drought:
> > "California Drought Map"
> > <https://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/CurrentMap/StateDroughtMonitor.aspx?CA>
> > "Lake Mead Water Database"
> > <https://lakemead.water-data.com/>
> >
> > If the ground is genuinely saturated, then most of the upcoming
> > rainfall runoff will end up in the ocean and not in the ground. The
> > water table is only replenished when the ground is NOT saturated.
> >
> > Also, the rainfall was rather spotty, bypassing many areas where the
> > rain was really needed. For example, Lake Mead is down about 20ft
> > from last year, nowhere near "normal" and currently dropping:
> > <https://mead.uslakes.info/level.asp>
> > That's 173ft below full pool which is going to take many years of
> > heavy rain to catch up.
> >
> Even over here, been for a soggy ride, a few bits of snow visible plus a
> rather nice old Raleigh bike at the bike shop/cafe at end of ride.
>
> But I know that the reservoir’s are still not topped up as it’s been a
> unusually dry winter.
>
> Even had fires on the Welsh hills which is bad sign for spring let alone
> summer!
>
> Roger Merriman

Lieberman loves to pass on outdated and false information from a Democrat government that has been using every possible fear tactic since Bush Jr. who was little more than a supposed reminder that we once had Ronald Reagan.

The Three major reservoirs that are NORMALLY filled with snow melt are already completely filled with rain water as shown by satellite photos. This entirely besides the snowpack being at the lowest point more than 190% of normal and in southern California the snowpack is at over 250% of normal. Lieberman lies to make himself feel important. As I said before this is why he was fired within days, if not hours of his being hired at companies in drastic need of engineers. You do not lie to your employer. You may be unfamiliar with a subject and need to learn it, but you absolutely do not lie about it. As you've seen here, lying is Lieberman's sine quibus non

Re: Weather

<237417ed-7972-40f9-bffc-b87149643d85n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=77250&group=rec.bicycles.tech#77250

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2023 09:26:25 -0800 (PST)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Thu, 9 Mar 2023 17:26 UTC

On Thursday, March 9, 2023 at 8:30:55 AM UTC-8, Tom Kunich wrote:
> On Thursday, March 9, 2023 at 8:16:19 AM UTC-8, Roger Meriman wrote:
> > Jeff Liebermann <je...@cruzio.com> wrote:

> > > It's not enough for the ground water to return to normal. Even with
> > > the current rain and snow, we are drawing more water out of the ground
> > > than we are replacing it. Much of the state is still in some form of
> > > drought:
> > > "California Drought Map"
> > > <https://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/CurrentMap/StateDroughtMonitor.aspx?CA>
> > > "Lake Mead Water Database"
> > > <https://lakemead.water-data.com/>
> > >
> > > If the ground is genuinely saturated, then most of the upcoming
> > > rainfall runoff will end up in the ocean and not in the ground. The
> > > water table is only replenished when the ground is NOT saturated.
> > >
> > > Also, the rainfall was rather spotty, bypassing many areas where the
> > > rain was really needed. For example, Lake Mead is down about 20ft
> > > from last year, nowhere near "normal" and currently dropping:
> > > <https://mead.uslakes.info/level.asp>
> > > That's 173ft below full pool which is going to take many years of
> > > heavy rain to catch up.
> > >
> > Even over here, been for a soggy ride, a few bits of snow visible plus a
> > rather nice old Raleigh bike at the bike shop/cafe at end of ride.
> >
> > But I know that the reservoir’s are still not topped up as it’s been a
> > unusually dry winter.
> >
> > Even had fires on the Welsh hills which is bad sign for spring let alone
> > summer!
> >
> > Roger Merriman
> Lieberman loves to pass on outdated and false information from a Democrat government that has been using every possible fear tactic since Bush Jr. who was little more than a supposed reminder that we once had Ronald Reagan.
>
> The Three major reservoirs that are NORMALLY filled with snow melt are already completely filled with rain water as shown by satellite photos. This entirely besides the snowpack being at the lowest point more than 190% of normal and in southern California the snowpack is at over 250% of normal. Lieberman lies to make himself feel important. As I said before this is why he was fired within days, if not hours of his being hired at companies in drastic need of engineers. You do not lie to your employer. You may be unfamiliar with a subject and need to learn it, but you absolutely do not lie about it. As you've seen here, lying is Lieberman's sine quibus non

I might also add that I had gone to the University of Youngstown site at one point and it said that Krygowski was a professor of Industrial Engineering. I was going to reference that and went back to look and that mention of Krygowski had disappeared as if he had never existed. Do you suppose that they erased it because he was retired? Or that he had them destroy evidence of his shame after the claim that he taught Mechanical Engineering?

Mind you, it doesn't matter at all what Frank did. But why lie about it? This seems to be a defining feature of the Stupid 5.

Slocomb said he was a crew chief and that means that he HAD to attend the launch of the Aircraft which he was responsible for. So why wouldn't he know that upon technical failures that cannot be repaired before launch, that technicians commonly went on the flight to repair in the air so that the aircraft could complete their mission?

Scharf bragged of being a Republican after multitudinous postings that were nothing more than communist propaganda. Do you suppose that was why he only had one term on his local council and then no one would touch him with a ten foot pole?

I cannot imagine how Lieberman achieved a degree save from braggadocio and stupid teachers. But then Dr. Thomas Sowell of Stanford was also a high school dropout but achieved one of the highest entrance scores to Harvard for his time. As did several other blacks from the New York ghetto simply from teachers that truly cared about their students.

My teachers were books - hundreds and hundreds of books that taught me more science than most science specialists know. And except for rare occasions, my opposition were the teachers. There were two very special teachers who were there to teach. A white man and a black man. I can't remember their names. They were so stiffed necked that EVERY student that went through their classed received absolutely equal education. Not equal test scores mind you, but I was always in the top 10% of English or English composition. If your attention wandered whoa be to you.

Yesterday I received my financial report from both home prices and my investments. From a high of $980,000 the value of my home has fallen to $880,000.. No one can buy anymore.

Not that that is important. But my investments have now reached very close to a million dollars. I expect that by the end of March to be over that line.
I now haven't the least financial problems for the rest of my life. I also have a family history of the only cancers being breast cancer in my mother and lung cancer from smoking in other relatives. Not even skin cancer which has very little connection with heredity. So I bought another bike to celebrate.

A Land Shark custom. It has weird measurements but I believe I can get it to fit. It has this 60 cm long top tube. But I have a short quill stem and short reach TTT bars

I'll let you know about my Road Shark as time goes by. I intend to strip the Record Groups off of my Moser which is a GREAT bike but unfortunately won't take 28 mm tires

I also received my Pinarello aluminum fork which will need to be painted to match the Tommasini before installing it. It is actually a work of art but like all things Pinarello it is heavier than one would expect. Twice the weight of what it was advertised as. But lighter than the one I have installed on the Tommasini. And with much better geometry.

Hey, isn't the world great when you are on top of it?

Re: Weather

<tud77k$1i35s$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=77252&group=rec.bicycles.tech#77252

From: frkry...@sbcglobal.net (Frank Krygowski)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2023 13:06:42 -0500
 by: Frank Krygowski - Thu, 9 Mar 2023 18:06 UTC

On 3/9/2023 12:26 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:

> I might also add that I had gone to the University of Youngstown site at one point and it said that Krygowski was a professor of Industrial Engineering.

It has _never_ said that. AFAIK nobody at my university ever said that.

> I was going to reference that and went back to look and that mention of Krygowski had disappeared as if he had never existed.

:-) It "disappeared" because it never did exist!

Others may wish to consider: What's more likely, that my university and
I disagreed on the department in which I taught, or that Tom "remembers"
things falsely to suit his arguments?

------

And now for the Free Association part of today's post:

> ... I was always in the top 10% of English or English composition. If your attention wandered whoa be to you.

:-) "Whoa" indeed! "Ah'm real good at English, pardner!"

> Yesterday I received my financial report from both home prices and my investments. From a high of $980,000 the value of my home has fallen to $880,000. No one can buy anymore.
>
> ... I also have a family history of the only cancers being breast cancer in my mother and lung cancer from smoking in other relatives. Not even skin cancer which has very little connection with heredity. So I bought another bike to celebrate.
>
> A Land Shark custom. It has weird measurements but I believe I can get it to fit. It has this 60 cm long top tube. But I have a short quill stem and short reach TTT bars
>
> I also received my Pinarello aluminum fork which will need to be painted to match the Tommasini before installing it. It is actually a work of art but like all things Pinarello it is heavier than one would expect. Twice the weight of what it was advertised as.

Hmm. Bike tech question: Twice the weight is an astonishing discrepancy!
Can you link the ad and tell us the real weight? Others might really
want to know.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Re: Weather

<fWpOL.3527957$14z3.1881825@fx11.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=77253&group=rec.bicycles.tech#77253

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
From: rog...@sarlet.com (Roger Meriman)
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2023 18:52:59 GMT
 by: Roger Meriman - Thu, 9 Mar 2023 18:52 UTC

Frank Krygowski <frkrygow@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 3/9/2023 12:26 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
>>
>> I might also add that I had gone to the University of Youngstown site at
>> one point and it said that Krygowski was a professor of Industrial Engineering.
>
> It has _never_ said that. AFAIK nobody at my university ever said that.
>
>> I was going to reference that and went back to look and that mention of
>> Krygowski had disappeared as if he had never existed.
>
> :-) It "disappeared" because it never did exist!
>
> Others may wish to consider: What's more likely, that my university and
> I disagreed on the department in which I taught, or that Tom "remembers"
> things falsely to suit his arguments?
>
> ------
>
> And now for the Free Association part of today's post:
>
>> ... I was always in the top 10% of English or English composition. If
>> your attention wandered whoa be to you.
>
> :-) "Whoa" indeed! "Ah'm real good at English, pardner!"
>
>> Yesterday I received my financial report from both home prices and my
>> investments. From a high of $980,000 the value of my home has fallen to
>> $880,000. No one can buy anymore.
>>
>> ... I also have a family history of the only cancers being breast cancer
>> in my mother and lung cancer from smoking in other relatives. Not even
>> skin cancer which has very little connection with heredity. So I bought
>> another bike to celebrate.
>>
>> A Land Shark custom. It has weird measurements but I believe I can get
>> it to fit. It has this 60 cm long top tube. But I have a short quill
>> stem and short reach TTT bars
>>
>> I also received my Pinarello aluminum fork which will need to be painted
>> to match the Tommasini before installing it. It is actually a work of
>> art but like all things Pinarello it is heavier than one would expect.
>> Twice the weight of what it was advertised as.
>
> Hmm. Bike tech question: Twice the weight is an astonishing discrepancy!
> Can you link the ad and tell us the real weight? Others might really
> want to know.

Weight seems to be one of those factors that feels better than it performs,
he’d have shock if he was a MTBer modern tires are fair bit heavier, as
bikes have got able to do bigger stuff folks have been pushing the limits
so all manufacturers have generally bulked up their tires.

My MTB has same tires F/R but new one on rear, it’s 200g heavier just
passing the 1KG barrier!

Seems fine on it’s test ride today!

Roger Merriman

Re: Weather

<2f76ae8a-52d4-47ac-a23f-afb8678a3b2en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=77257&group=rec.bicycles.tech#77257

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2023 11:17:24 -0800 (PST)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Thu, 9 Mar 2023 19:17 UTC

On Thursday, March 9, 2023 at 10:53:02 AM UTC-8, Roger Meriman wrote:
> Frank Krygowski <frkr...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> > On 3/9/2023 12:26 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> >>
> >> I might also add that I had gone to the University of Youngstown site at
> >> one point and it said that Krygowski was a professor of Industrial Engineering.
> >
> > It has _never_ said that. AFAIK nobody at my university ever said that.
> >
> >> I was going to reference that and went back to look and that mention of
> >> Krygowski had disappeared as if he had never existed.
> >
> > :-) It "disappeared" because it never did exist!
> >
> > Others may wish to consider: What's more likely, that my university and
> > I disagreed on the department in which I taught, or that Tom "remembers"
> > things falsely to suit his arguments?
> >
> > ------
> >
> > And now for the Free Association part of today's post:
> >
> >> ... I was always in the top 10% of English or English composition. If
> >> your attention wandered whoa be to you.
> >
> > :-) "Whoa" indeed! "Ah'm real good at English, pardner!"
> >
> >> Yesterday I received my financial report from both home prices and my
> >> investments. From a high of $980,000 the value of my home has fallen to
> >> $880,000. No one can buy anymore.
> >>
> >> ... I also have a family history of the only cancers being breast cancer
> >> in my mother and lung cancer from smoking in other relatives. Not even
> >> skin cancer which has very little connection with heredity. So I bought
> >> another bike to celebrate.
> >>
> >> A Land Shark custom. It has weird measurements but I believe I can get
> >> it to fit. It has this 60 cm long top tube. But I have a short quill
> >> stem and short reach TTT bars
> >>
> >> I also received my Pinarello aluminum fork which will need to be painted
> >> to match the Tommasini before installing it. It is actually a work of
> >> art but like all things Pinarello it is heavier than one would expect.
> >> Twice the weight of what it was advertised as.
> >
> > Hmm. Bike tech question: Twice the weight is an astonishing discrepancy!
> > Can you link the ad and tell us the real weight? Others might really
> > want to know.
> >
> Weight seems to be one of those factors that feels better than it performs,
> he’d have shock if he was a MTBer modern tires are fair bit heavier, as
> bikes have got able to do bigger stuff folks have been pushing the limits
> so all manufacturers have generally bulked up their tires.
>
> My MTB has same tires F/R but new one on rear, it’s 200g heavier just
> passing the 1KG barrier!
>
> Seems fine on it’s test ride today!

The advertisement for the fork said 580 grams I think, but is 900 grams. I am not concerned with the discrepancy since my major reason was to correct the geometry. The install fork is too long and the tire is significantly below the crown. This makes turning sharp turns a little sluggish. And besides the installed for is 1500 grams. While it has aluminum fork legs it has a heavy steel steering post.

Re: Weather

<tudeai$1jee6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=77262&group=rec.bicycles.tech#77262

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2023 14:07:44 -0600
 by: AMuzi - Thu, 9 Mar 2023 20:07 UTC

On 3/9/2023 1:17 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> On Thursday, March 9, 2023 at 10:53:02 AM UTC-8, Roger Meriman wrote:
>> Frank Krygowski <frkr...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>>> It has _never_ said that. AFAIK nobody at my university ever said that.

>>> :-) It "disappeared" because it never did exist!
>>>
>>> Others may wish to consider: What's more likely, that my university and
>>> I disagreed on the department in which I taught, or that Tom "remembers"
>>> things falsely to suit his arguments?
>>>
>>> ------
>>>
>>> And now for the Free Association part of today's post:

>>> :-) "Whoa" indeed! "Ah'm real good at English, pardner!"

>>> Hmm. Bike tech question: Twice the weight is an astonishing discrepancy!
>>> Can you link the ad and tell us the real weight? Others might really
>>> want to know.
>>>
>> Weight seems to be one of those factors that feels better than it performs,
>> he’d have shock if he was a MTBer modern tires are fair bit heavier, as
>> bikes have got able to do bigger stuff folks have been pushing the limits
>> so all manufacturers have generally bulked up their tires.
>>
>> My MTB has same tires F/R but new one on rear, it’s 200g heavier just
>> passing the 1KG barrier!
>>
>> Seems fine on it’s test ride today!
>
> The advertisement for the fork said 580 grams I think, but is 900 grams. I am not concerned with the discrepancy since my major reason was to correct the geometry. The install fork is too long and the tire is significantly below the crown. This makes turning sharp turns a little sluggish. And besides the installed for is 1500 grams. While it has aluminum fork legs it has a heavy steel steering post.

Because I have them nearby, I just weighed a Kestrel EMS
fork with CrMo steerer at 490g, a basic lug crown/forged
ends CrMo fork at 910g, Bianchi TIG Columbus EL fork at
620g. Hope that helps.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Re: Weather

<fb0c2059-b5f3-4432-a247-d5b0f547ce1en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=77263&group=rec.bicycles.tech#77263

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2023 12:26:06 -0800 (PST)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Thu, 9 Mar 2023 20:26 UTC

On Thursday, March 9, 2023 at 12:07:49 PM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
> On 3/9/2023 1:17 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:

> >> Weight seems to be one of those factors that feels better than it performs,
> >> he’d have shock if he was a MTBer modern tires are fair bit heavier, as
> >> bikes have got able to do bigger stuff folks have been pushing the limits
> >> so all manufacturers have generally bulked up their tires.
> >>
> >> My MTB has same tires F/R but new one on rear, it’s 200g heavier just
> >> passing the 1KG barrier!
> >>
> >> Seems fine on it’s test ride today!
> >
> > The advertisement for the fork said 580 grams I think, but is 900 grams.. I am not concerned with the discrepancy since my major reason was to correct the geometry. The install fork is too long and the tire is significantly below the crown. This makes turning sharp turns a little sluggish. And besides the installed for is 1500 grams. While it has aluminum fork legs it has a heavy steel steering post.
> >
> Because I have them nearby, I just weighed a Kestrel EMS
> fork with CrMo steerer at 490g, a basic lug crown/forged
> ends CrMo fork at 910g, Bianchi TIG Columbus EL fork at
> 620g. Hope that helps.

I was quite careful to measure the Pinarello fork at 900+ grams (didn't record the number but that is easy enough to remember.) The advertised weight was 598 grams.
After your posting I went back and reweighed the fork on the same "Dr. Meter" scale and it came in right on the advertised weight. I don't think I will use that meter for weighing things again. I do have a better scale but it is down in the garage.

Re: Weather

<tudj58$1k6h8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=77266&group=rec.bicycles.tech#77266

From: frkry...@sbcglobal.net (Frank Krygowski)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2023 16:30:14 -0500
 by: Frank Krygowski - Thu, 9 Mar 2023 21:30 UTC

On 3/9/2023 3:26 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:

> After your posting I went back and reweighed the fork on the same "Dr. Meter" scale and it came in right on the advertised weight.

Ah. Good to know.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Re: Weather

<nfnk0itmgc31eoco6jqdvjesfuue20ts69@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=77277&group=rec.bicycles.tech#77277

From: slocom...@gmail.com (John B.)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2023 06:07:00 +0700
 by: John B. - Thu, 9 Mar 2023 23:07 UTC

On Thu, 9 Mar 2023 09:26:25 -0800 (PST), Tom Kunich
<cyclintom@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Thursday, March 9, 2023 at 8:30:55?AM UTC-8, Tom Kunich wrote:

>> > Even over here, been for a soggy ride, a few bits of snow visible plus a
>> > rather nice old Raleigh bike at the bike shop/cafe at end of ride.
>> >
>> > But I know that the reservoir’s are still not topped up as it’s been a
>> > unusually dry winter.
>> >
>> > Even had fires on the Welsh hills which is bad sign for spring let alone
>> > summer!
>> >
>> > Roger Merriman
>> Lieberman loves to pass on outdated and false information from a Democrat government that has been using every possible fear tactic since Bush Jr. who was little more than a supposed reminder that we once had Ronald Reagan.
>>
>> The Three major reservoirs that are NORMALLY filled with snow melt are already completely filled with rain water as shown by satellite photos. This entirely besides the snowpack being at the lowest point more than 190% of normal and in southern California the snowpack is at over 250% of normal. Lieberman lies to make himself feel important. As I said before this is why he was fired within days, if not hours of his being hired at companies in drastic need of engineers. You do not lie to your employer. You may be unfamiliar with a subject and need to learn it, but you absolutely do not lie about it. As you've seen here, lying is Lieberman's sine quibus non
>
>I might also add that I had gone to the University of Youngstown site at one point and it said that Krygowski was a professor of Industrial Engineering. I was going to reference that and went back to look and that mention of Krygowski had disappeared as if he had never existed. Do you suppose that they erased it because he was retired? Or that he had them destroy evidence of his shame after the claim that he taught Mechanical Engineering?
>
>Mind you, it doesn't matter at all what Frank did. But why lie about it? This seems to be a defining feature of the Stupid 5.
>
>Slocomb said he was a crew chief and that means that he HAD to attend the launch of the Aircraft which he was responsible for. So why wouldn't he know that upon technical failures that cannot be repaired before launch, that technicians commonly went on the flight to repair in the air so that the aircraft could complete their mission?

Yes I was, at one period, a crew chief and yes I did, of course,
attend the pre flight inspection of my airplane, but no, in the 20
years I was in the Air Force I never saw an airplane launch with a
malfunction that would effect the safety of the plane or the ability
to carry out the mission.

--
Cheers,

John B.

Re: Weather

<a9865ca4-25da-48db-8be3-c53e10e80351n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=77328&group=rec.bicycles.tech#77328

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2023 04:57:04 -0800 (PST)
From: funkmast...@hotmail.com (funkma...@hotmail.com)
 by: funkma...@hotmail.co - Sat, 11 Mar 2023 12:57 UTC

On Thursday, March 9, 2023 at 1:06:47 PM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
> On 3/9/2023 12:26 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> >
> > I might also add that I had gone to the University of Youngstown site at one point and it said that Krygowski was a professor of Industrial Engineering.
> It has _never_ said that. AFAIK nobody at my university ever said that.
> > I was going to reference that and went back to look and that mention of Krygowski had disappeared as if he had never existed.
> :-) It "disappeared" because it never did exist!
>
> Others may wish to consider: What's more likely, that my university and
> I disagreed on the department in which I taught, or that Tom "remembers"
> things falsely to suit his arguments?
>
> ------
>
> And now for the Free Association part of today's post:
>
> > ... I was always in the top 10% of English or English composition. If your attention wandered whoa be to you.
>
> :-) "Whoa" indeed! "Ah'm real good at English, pardner!"

Whoa Nellie!!!

> > Yesterday I received my financial report from both home prices and my investments. From a high of $980,000 the value of my home has fallen to $880,000. No one can buy anymore.
> >
> > ... I also have a family history of the only cancers being breast cancer in my mother and lung cancer from smoking in other relatives. Not even skin cancer which has very little connection with heredity. So I bought another bike to celebrate.
> >
> > A Land Shark custom. It has weird measurements but I believe I can get it to fit. It has this 60 cm long top tube. But I have a short quill stem and short reach TTT bars
> >
> > I also received my Pinarello aluminum fork which will need to be painted to match the Tommasini before installing it. It is actually a work of art but like all things Pinarello it is heavier than one would expect. Twice the weight of what it was advertised as.
> Hmm. Bike tech question: Twice the weight is an astonishing discrepancy!
> Can you link the ad and tell us the real weight? Others might really
> want to know.

Or, tom got suckered into buy something that wasn't what was advertised.

> --
> - Frank Krygowski

Re: Weather

<a2a5c2cf-f23a-45d5-8065-136b90ea923bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=77378&group=rec.bicycles.tech#77378

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 05:50:46 -0700 (PDT)
From: funkmast...@hotmail.com (funkma...@hotmail.com)
 by: funkma...@hotmail.co - Sun, 12 Mar 2023 12:50 UTC

On Thursday, March 9, 2023 at 3:07:49 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
> On 3/9/2023 1:17 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:

> >> Weight seems to be one of those factors that feels better than it performs,
> >> he’d have shock if he was a MTBer modern tires are fair bit heavier, as
> >> bikes have got able to do bigger stuff folks have been pushing the limits
> >> so all manufacturers have generally bulked up their tires.
> >>
> >> My MTB has same tires F/R but new one on rear, it’s 200g heavier just
> >> passing the 1KG barrier!
> >>
> >> Seems fine on it’s test ride today!
> >
> > The advertisement for the fork said 580 grams I think, but is 900 grams.. I am not concerned with the discrepancy since my major reason was to correct the geometry. The install fork is too long and the tire is significantly below the crown. This makes turning sharp turns a little sluggish. And besides the installed for is 1500 grams. While it has aluminum fork legs it has a heavy steel steering post.
> >
> Because I have them nearby, I just weighed a Kestrel EMS
> fork with CrMo steerer at 490g, a basic lug crown/forged
> ends CrMo fork at 910g, Bianchi TIG Columbus EL fork at
> 620g. Hope that helps.

It just occurred to me...I'm not aware that Pinarello ever made an aluminum fork. If they did it wasn't for very long, I'd be surprised that one would be able to find one at a reasonable price (certainly significantly more than tommy would be willing to pay). What do you suppose tommy actually bought?

> --
> Andrew Muzi
> <www.yellowjersey.org/>
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Re: Weather

<abd408dd-b06a-4fb3-843e-35401e3fffden@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=77383&group=rec.bicycles.tech#77383

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 09:15:02 -0700 (PDT)
From: retroguy...@gmail.com (William Crowell)
 by: William Crowell - Sun, 12 Mar 2023 16:15 UTC

Back to the weather again, the Safeway store in Pollock Pines, CA had to close temporarily due to snow loads on its roof. They got a snow removal contractor up there immediately to remove the snow and the store reopened after a few hours:

https://www.mtdemocrat.com/news/safety-concerns-at-safeway/

I love this Safeway store because it is at the halfway point on the best ride in the world (IMHO), Starke's Grade:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1c03AeUshUZAzjdyi6Xvf7HLA0gxn0Qyd/view?usp=share_link

This Safeway has a huuuge bakery department with all kinds of donuts, pastries, etc. and a Starbuck's coffee shop. It's a "must stop" on the Starke's Grade ride.

Re: Weather

<tukugr$34ltk$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=77386&group=rec.bicycles.tech#77386

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 09:27:08 -0700
 by: sms - Sun, 12 Mar 2023 16:27 UTC

On 3/8/2023 7:29 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Mar 2023 10:19:14 -0800 (PST), Tom Kunich
> <cyclintom@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> All of the reservoirs in the state are at maximum capacity and southern California has a snowpack 250% of normal.
>
>> This latest rain that will stretch across the next week along with the earth so filled with water now that there are land and mudslides everywhere will soak down into the soil and refresh the water table.
>
> It's not enough for the ground water to return to normal. Even with
> the current rain and snow, we are drawing more water out of the ground
> than we are replacing it. Much of the state is still in some form of
> drought:
> "California Drought Map"
> <https://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/CurrentMap/StateDroughtMonitor.aspx?CA>
> "Lake Mead Water Database"
> <https://lakemead.water-data.com/>
>
> If the ground is genuinely saturated, then most of the upcoming
> rainfall runoff will end up in the ocean and not in the ground. The
> water table is only replenished when the ground is NOT saturated.

This would seem to indicate that we need more and larger reservoirs.

Another question I wondered about is the wisdom of drought surcharges at
this time. If the reservoir water is being dumped into the bay and
ocean, as it is now (saw it yesterday in Stevens Creek which was being
fed by runoff from Stevens Creek reservoir) wouldn't it be better for
residents to be using _more_ water from the reservoirs? The sewer water
goes to a water treatment plant which puts the treated water into
percolation ponds where it percolates down into the underground aquifer.
Or is there a connection between the reservoirs and the water treatment
plant and treatment plan can't handle any more water?

Re: Weather

<3ac276c0-18ef-4617-b9ff-f40c2b474454n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=77388&group=rec.bicycles.tech#77388

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 09:29:31 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Sun, 12 Mar 2023 16:29 UTC

On Sunday, March 12, 2023 at 9:15:04 AM UTC-7, William Crowell wrote:
> Back to the weather again, the Safeway store in Pollock Pines, CA had to close temporarily due to snow loads on its roof. They got a snow removal contractor up there immediately to remove the snow and the store reopened after a few hours:
>
> https://www.mtdemocrat.com/news/safety-concerns-at-safeway/
>
> I love this Safeway store because it is at the halfway point on the best ride in the world (IMHO), Starke's Grade:
>
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1c03AeUshUZAzjdyi6Xvf7HLA0gxn0Qyd/view?usp=share_link
>
> This Safeway has a huuuge bakery department with all kinds of donuts, pastries, etc. and a Starbuck's coffee shop. It's a "must stop" on the Starke's Grade ride.
Since it is so warm the snow is in danger of being melted rapidly by the rain. So be aware of that and keep an eye out for flooding and with the coming violent winds on Tuesday, falling trees.

Re: Weather

<fe7s0ih6851sr7k4hvtqc862foa3idvt9f@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=77394&group=rec.bicycles.tech#77394

From: jef...@cruzio.com (Jeff Liebermann)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 12:29:34 -0700
 by: Jeff Liebermann - Sun, 12 Mar 2023 19:29 UTC

On Sun, 12 Mar 2023 09:27:08 -0700, sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com>
wrote:

>On 3/8/2023 7:29 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
>> On Wed, 8 Mar 2023 10:19:14 -0800 (PST), Tom Kunich
>> <cyclintom@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> All of the reservoirs in the state are at maximum capacity and southern California has a snowpack 250% of normal.
>>
>>> This latest rain that will stretch across the next week along with the earth so filled with water now that there are land and mudslides everywhere will soak down into the soil and refresh the water table.
>>
>> It's not enough for the ground water to return to normal. Even with
>> the current rain and snow, we are drawing more water out of the ground
>> than we are replacing it. Much of the state is still in some form of
>> drought:
>> "California Drought Map"
>> <https://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/CurrentMap/StateDroughtMonitor.aspx?CA>
>> "Lake Mead Water Database"
>> <https://lakemead.water-data.com/>
>>
>> If the ground is genuinely saturated, then most of the upcoming
>> rainfall runoff will end up in the ocean and not in the ground. The
>> water table is only replenished when the ground is NOT saturated.
>
>This would seem to indicate that we need more and larger reservoirs.

Patience. It's only been on the agenda for about 70 years.

"New mega reservoir in final planning phase for California"
(Oct 19, 2022)
<https://www.ktvu.com/news/a-new-mega-reservoir-in-final-planning-for-california>
"...it would be the seventh-largest mega reservoir."

>Another question I wondered about is the wisdom of drought surcharges at
>this time.

I think you mean "discharges", not "surcharges".

The wisdom behind discharging water is to make room for additional
water from subsequent rains. This is known as "flood control". The
discharges happen every year at the end of the rainy season, when the
supply of stored water and snow pack are known. Then, the amount to
be discharged can be better estimated. With some (not all) of the
reservoirs currently at capacity, and additional rain and snow melt in
the forecast, the discharge is happening early this year. If they
fail to discharge water and we receive additional rains, the
reservoirs run the risk of having the dam "topped" by water, which can
destroy the dam. The system and planning are not foolproof, as shown
by the draining on Lexington reservoir to clear out the plumbing, just
in time for an extended drought.

>If the reservoir water is being dumped into the bay and
>ocean, as it is now (saw it yesterday in Stevens Creek which was being
>fed by runoff from Stevens Creek reservoir) wouldn't it be better for
>residents to be using _more_ water from the reservoirs?

Yep. I'm taking extra long hot showers, washing my car and hosing
down the sides of my house. I'm all for water conservation and
austerity, but not during an oversupply. Incidentally, the local
water district seems to have finally switched from using ground water
back to surface water because the calcium content of the water is now
much lower. Even with the current series of storms, we are nowhere
near replenishing the underground water aquifers.
<https://www.smgwa.org/SantaMargaritaBasin>

>The sewer water
>goes to a water treatment plant which puts the treated water into
>percolation ponds where it percolates down into the underground aquifer.

Yep. Lake Vasona in Log Gatos is a ground water percolation recharge
basin. Such ponds become necessary as the porous ground needed to
recharge the basin becomes sealed off by urban development.
Percolation is the key word here. The process is very slow.

>Or is there a connection between the reservoirs and the water treatment
>plant and treatment plan can't handle any more water?

I don't know. It's a complexicated topic. Not all the stored water
is treated. The larger dams and most of the water discharge is used
to generate hydroelectric power. Agriculture uses the largest share
of the water, mostly ground water, which also not treated. There are
also some water uses which require only filtered water, but not
treated. As always, cost and availability are the driving factors.

Note that the drought still covers much of California as well as other
parts of the country:
<https://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/>
<https://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/CurrentMap/StateDroughtMonitor.aspx?West>

Also, Lake Mead, the source of much of our electric power, is still
dropping in water level and has not benefited from the rains:
<https://mead.uslakes.info/level.asp>
Cheap hydro power might not be so cheap in the future.

--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com
Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Re: Weather

<tulcml$37arl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=77397&group=rec.bicycles.tech#77397

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 13:29:09 -0700
 by: sms - Sun, 12 Mar 2023 20:29 UTC

On 3/12/2023 12:29 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Mar 2023 09:27:08 -0700, sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 3/8/2023 7:29 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

>>> It's not enough for the ground water to return to normal. Even with
>>> the current rain and snow, we are drawing more water out of the ground
>>> than we are replacing it. Much of the state is still in some form of
>>> drought:
>>> "California Drought Map"
>>> <https://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/CurrentMap/StateDroughtMonitor.aspx?CA>
>>> "Lake Mead Water Database"
>>> <https://lakemead.water-data.com/>
>>>
>>> If the ground is genuinely saturated, then most of the upcoming
>>> rainfall runoff will end up in the ocean and not in the ground. The
>>> water table is only replenished when the ground is NOT saturated.
>>
>> This would seem to indicate that we need more and larger reservoirs.
>
> Patience. It's only been on the agenda for about 70 years.
>
> "New mega reservoir in final planning phase for California"
> (Oct 19, 2022)
> <https://www.ktvu.com/news/a-new-mega-reservoir-in-final-planning-for-california>
> "...it would be the seventh-largest mega reservoir."
>
>> Another question I wondered about is the wisdom of drought surcharges at
>> this time.
>
> I think you mean "discharges", not "surcharges".

No. We're being hit with huge surcharges for using greater than a
certain amount of water. I need to drain/refill the old water in my pool
which would now cost me about $800. When I drain the water it goes to
the water treatment plant then into the percolation ponds. If I use more
water at home, it's the same thing. But the water being discharged from
reservoirs, into the creeks which flow to the bay never gets percolated
into the aquifer, it's lost into the Bay and ocean.

> The wisdom behind discharging water is to make room for additional
> water from subsequent rains.

Right, but it would make more sense for that water to not be discharged
into the Bay but to make its way to the percolation ponds (unless those
are overflowing as well).

<snip>

> Also, Lake Mead, the source of much of our electric power, is still
> dropping in water level and has not benefited from the rains:
> <https://mead.uslakes.info/level.asp>

I was talking to an Israeli yesterday about water. Water shortages used
to be a big issue in Israel but they went all-in on desalinization. Now
instead of draining the Sea of Galilee for drinking water, they are
refilling it
<https://www.al-monitor.com/originals/2022/12/israel-set-top-galilee-desalinated-water-mediterranean>.

For Lake Mead, it would be a big project to run pipes to there from
areas where water is being dumped into the ocean, but it may be the only
practical solution.