"Sometimes insanity is the only alternative" -- button at a Science Fiction convention.

tech / sci.astro.amateur / Re: fungus on SCT correctors

SubjectAuthor
* fungus on SCT correctorsJJ
+- Re: fungus on SCT correctorsJJ
+* Re: fungus on SCT correctorsChris L Peterson
|`* Re: fungus on SCT correctorsJJ
| `* Re: fungus on SCT correctorsChris L Peterson
|  `* Re: fungus on SCT correctorsJJ
|   `- Re: fungus on SCT correctorsMartin Brown
+- Re: fungus on SCT correctorsAl Jacks
+- Re: fungus on SCT correctorsQuadibloc
+* Re: fungus on SCT correctorsQuadibloc
|`* Re: fungus on SCT correctorsJJ
| +* Re: fungus on SCT correctorsChris L Peterson
| |`* Re: fungus on SCT correctorsJJ
| | `* Re: fungus on SCT correctorsChris L Peterson
| |  `* Re: fungus on SCT correctorsJJ
| |   `* Re: fungus on SCT correctorsChris L Peterson
| |    `- Re: fungus on SCT correctorsJJ
| `* Re: fungus on SCT correctorsQuadibloc
|  `- Re: fungus on SCT correctorsJJ
+- Re: fungus on SCT correctorsStarDust
`* Re: fungus on SCT correctorsJJ
 `- Re: fungus on SCT correctors" \"Keven Albert Strum\"" <strum

1
fungus on SCT correctors

<sv807p$60i$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7731&group=sci.astro.amateur#7731

From: JJ...@flavitron.net (JJ)
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Subject: fungus on SCT correctors
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2022 08:12:24 -0500
 by: JJ - Thu, 24 Feb 2022 13:12 UTC

Have had my SCT's in storage for about five years under various
temperatures and humidity, in other words not so well climate control.
However, much to my surprise, I was going to use them recently but, upon
removing the SCT covers, there is fungus on each corrector. Appears to
be on the outside and not internal at least from what I can tell. I
only found out about proper climate control recently and after the fact
as I was not aware that scopes needed any kind of special storage. So...

I have carefully removed the fungus and UVC irradiated the correctors
and cover interiors for the specified time. Now the question becomes
how to store the OTA's? Unfortunately, I cannot store them with good
climate control. I was thinking of placing each SCT in a zip loc bag,
large enough for each, and then including fresh capsules of rechargeable
silica gel. That would be as close to climate control as I could get.
I could actually include humidity monitors within the bags.

Your thoughts on the aforementioned welcome and thank you in advance.

JJ Sauer

Re: fungus on SCT correctors

<sv87v6$4d8$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7732&group=sci.astro.amateur#7732

From: JJ...@flavitron.net (JJ)
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Subject: Re: fungus on SCT correctors
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2022 10:24:22 -0500
 by: JJ - Thu, 24 Feb 2022 15:24 UTC

On 2/24/22 10:19, RichA wrote:
> On Thursday, 24 February 2022 at 08:12:28 UTC-5, JJ wrote:
>> Have had my SCT's in storage for about five years under various
>> temperatures and humidity, in other words not so well climate control.
>> However, much to my surprise, I was going to use them recently but, upon
>> removing the SCT covers, there is fungus on each corrector. Appears to
>> be on the outside and not internal at least from what I can tell. I
>> only found out about proper climate control recently and after the fact
>> as I was not aware that scopes needed any kind of special storage. So...
>>
>> I have carefully removed the fungus and UVC irradiated the correctors
>> and cover interiors for the specified time. Now the question becomes
>> how to store the OTA's? Unfortunately, I cannot store them with good
>> climate control. I was thinking of placing each SCT in a zip loc bag,
>> large enough for each, and then including fresh capsules of rechargeable
>> silica gel. That would be as close to climate control as I could get.
>> I could actually include humidity monitors within the bags.
>>
>> Your thoughts on the aforementioned welcome and thank you in advance.
>>
>> JJ Sauer
>
> Why "store" them at all? Cover each end, put a dust cover over them and just leave them in the open.

Because that's exactly how they ended up with fungus! I did/ do have
them covered completely with dust covers!

Re: fungus on SCT correctors

<8bbf1hphbiqdh072ofarpfe4lrmggpp4f4@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7735&group=sci.astro.amateur#7735

From: clp...@alumni.caltech.edu (Chris L Peterson)
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2022 09:08:43 -0700
 by: Chris L Peterson - Thu, 24 Feb 2022 16:08 UTC

On Thu, 24 Feb 2022 08:12:24 -0500, JJ <JJ@flavitron.net> wrote:

>Have had my SCT's in storage for about five years under various
>temperatures and humidity, in other words not so well climate control.
>However, much to my surprise, I was going to use them recently but, upon
>removing the SCT covers, there is fungus on each corrector. Appears to
>be on the outside and not internal at least from what I can tell. I
>only found out about proper climate control recently and after the fact
>as I was not aware that scopes needed any kind of special storage. So...
>
>I have carefully removed the fungus and UVC irradiated the correctors
>and cover interiors for the specified time. Now the question becomes
>how to store the OTA's? Unfortunately, I cannot store them with good
>climate control. I was thinking of placing each SCT in a zip loc bag,
>large enough for each, and then including fresh capsules of rechargeable
>silica gel. That would be as close to climate control as I could get.
>I could actually include humidity monitors within the bags.
>
>Your thoughts on the aforementioned welcome and thank you in advance.
>
>JJ Sauer

Where are you located? What sort of climate are we talking about here?

Re: fungus on SCT correctors

<sv8er8$s85$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7736&group=sci.astro.amateur#7736

From: JJ...@flavitron.net (JJ)
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2022 12:21:44 -0500
 by: JJ - Thu, 24 Feb 2022 17:21 UTC

On 2/24/22 11:08, Chris L Peterson wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Feb 2022 08:12:24 -0500, JJ <JJ@flavitron.net> wrote:
>
>> Have had my SCT's in storage for about five years under various
>> temperatures and humidity, in other words not so well climate control.
>> However, much to my surprise, I was going to use them recently but, upon
>> removing the SCT covers, there is fungus on each corrector. Appears to
>> be on the outside and not internal at least from what I can tell. I
>> only found out about proper climate control recently and after the fact
>> as I was not aware that scopes needed any kind of special storage. So...
>>
>> I have carefully removed the fungus and UVC irradiated the correctors
>> and cover interiors for the specified time. Now the question becomes
>> how to store the OTA's? Unfortunately, I cannot store them with good
>> climate control. I was thinking of placing each SCT in a zip loc bag,
>> large enough for each, and then including fresh capsules of rechargeable
>> silica gel. That would be as close to climate control as I could get.
>> I could actually include humidity monitors within the bags.
>>
>> Your thoughts on the aforementioned welcome and thank you in advance.
>>
>> JJ Sauer
>
> Where are you located? What sort of climate are we talking about here?

Southeastern NY state, close to NYC

Re: fungus on SCT correctors

<u7kf1hlhskmnpktauov64s9b0asg6isfpa@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7737&group=sci.astro.amateur#7737

From: clp...@alumni.caltech.edu (Chris L Peterson)
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2022 11:45:19 -0700
 by: Chris L Peterson - Thu, 24 Feb 2022 18:45 UTC

On Thu, 24 Feb 2022 12:21:44 -0500, JJ <JJ@flavitron.net> wrote:

>On 2/24/22 11:08, Chris L Peterson wrote:
>> On Thu, 24 Feb 2022 08:12:24 -0500, JJ <JJ@flavitron.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Have had my SCT's in storage for about five years under various
>>> temperatures and humidity, in other words not so well climate control.
>>> However, much to my surprise, I was going to use them recently but, upon
>>> removing the SCT covers, there is fungus on each corrector. Appears to
>>> be on the outside and not internal at least from what I can tell. I
>>> only found out about proper climate control recently and after the fact
>>> as I was not aware that scopes needed any kind of special storage. So...
>>>
>>> I have carefully removed the fungus and UVC irradiated the correctors
>>> and cover interiors for the specified time. Now the question becomes
>>> how to store the OTA's? Unfortunately, I cannot store them with good
>>> climate control. I was thinking of placing each SCT in a zip loc bag,
>>> large enough for each, and then including fresh capsules of rechargeable
>>> silica gel. That would be as close to climate control as I could get.
>>> I could actually include humidity monitors within the bags.
>>>
>>> Your thoughts on the aforementioned welcome and thank you in advance.
>>>
>>> JJ Sauer
>>
>> Where are you located? What sort of climate are we talking about here?
>
>Southeastern NY state, close to NYC

Well, it could be worse. I'd worry more about fungus on the inside
surfaces, which would largely destroy the scopes. The scopes should
have good seals around the corrector. If you cap the other end, make
sure you trap very dry air inside. Don't cap it on a humid day! You
might want to vent your corrector cap. Just a few little holes so that
moisture doesn't get trapped.

Fungus doesn't grow just because the air is moist. It grows in liquid.
Its presence almost certainly means you're getting condensation on the
optics, which is bad in terms of depositing acids and other
contaminants. So you need to figure that out.

There's no reason you couldn't bag them (on a dry day) with a batch of
desiccant inside. Pretty standard practice for lots of optics.

Re: fungus on SCT correctors

<sv8mc2$o0d$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7738&group=sci.astro.amateur#7738

From: JJ...@flavitron.net (JJ)
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2022 14:30:10 -0500
 by: JJ - Thu, 24 Feb 2022 19:30 UTC

On 2/24/22 13:45, Chris L Peterson wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Feb 2022 12:21:44 -0500, JJ <JJ@flavitron.net> wrote:

>>> Where are you located? What sort of climate are we talking about here?
>>
>> Southeastern NY state, close to NYC
>
> Well, it could be worse. I'd worry more about fungus on the inside
> surfaces, which would largely destroy the scopes. The scopes should
> have good seals around the corrector. If you cap the other end, make
> sure you trap very dry air inside. Don't cap it on a humid day! You
> might want to vent your corrector cap. Just a few little holes so that
> moisture doesn't get trapped.
>
> Fungus doesn't grow just because the air is moist. It grows in liquid.
> Its presence almost certainly means you're getting condensation on the
> optics, which is bad in terms of depositing acids and other
> contaminants. So you need to figure that out.
>

> There's no reason you couldn't bag them (on a dry day) with a batch of
> desiccant inside. Pretty standard practice for lots of optics.

Thanks, that's the plan (bagging them). Not sure what size ziploc
needed for the 8" SCT though, that's going to be a big one!

Re: fungus on SCT correctors

<sv8n18$s7h$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7739&group=sci.astro.amateur#7739

From: non...@none.com (Al Jacks)
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2022 14:41:28 -0500
 by: Al Jacks - Thu, 24 Feb 2022 19:41 UTC

On 2/24/22 10:19, RichA wrote:
> On Thursday, 24 February 2022 at 08:12:28 UTC-5, JJ wrote:
>> Have had my SCT's in storage for about five years under various
>> temperatures and humidity, in other words not so well climate control.
>> However, much to my surprise, I was going to use them recently but, upon
>> removing the SCT covers, there is fungus on each corrector. Appears to
>> be on the outside and not internal at least from what I can tell. I
>> only found out about proper climate control recently and after the fact
>> as I was not aware that scopes needed any kind of special storage. So...
>>
>> I have carefully removed the fungus and UVC irradiated the correctors
>> and cover interiors for the specified time. Now the question becomes
>> how to store the OTA's? Unfortunately, I cannot store them with good
>> climate control. I was thinking of placing each SCT in a zip loc bag,
>> large enough for each, and then including fresh capsules of rechargeable
>> silica gel. That would be as close to climate control as I could get.
>> I could actually include humidity monitors within the bags.
>>
>> Your thoughts on the aforementioned welcome and thank you in advance.
>>
>> JJ Sauer
>
> Why "store" them at all? Cover each end, put a dust cover over them and just leave them in the open.

Sheesh, you're really a piece of work, know that Rich? Didn't you read
what the gentleman wrote initially, or were you too busy trying to shine
your flashlights through walls.

Re: fungus on SCT correctors

<sv8pl7$107c$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7740&group=sci.astro.amateur#7740

From: '''newsp...@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2022 20:26:15 +0000
 by: Martin Brown - Thu, 24 Feb 2022 20:26 UTC

On 24/02/2022 19:30, JJ wrote:
> On 2/24/22 13:45, Chris L Peterson wrote:

>>> Southeastern NY state, close to NYC
>>
>> Well, it could be worse. I'd worry more about fungus on the inside
>> surfaces, which would largely destroy the scopes. The scopes should
>> have good seals around the corrector. If you cap the other end, make
>> sure you trap very dry air inside. Don't cap it on a humid day! You
>> might want to vent your corrector cap. Just a few little holes so that
>> moisture doesn't get trapped.
>>
>> Fungus doesn't grow just because the air is moist. It grows in liquid.
>> Its presence almost certainly means you're getting condensation on the
>> optics, which is bad in terms of depositing acids and other
>> contaminants. So you need to figure that out.
>>

>> There's no reason you couldn't bag them (on a dry day) with a batch of
>> desiccant inside. Pretty standard practice for lots of optics.
>
> Thanks, that's the plan (bagging them).  Not sure what size ziploc
> needed for the 8" SCT though, that's going to be a big one!

Ideally you want a heat sealed thick polythene bag and enough desiccant
inside to last as long as you expect to leave it unused. But for more
than a year or so I would think seriously about selling it.

The composite ones from material intended for wine boxes with a layer of
truly impermeable plastic inside are even better for this.

It might be a lot more cost effective to sell it as is and buy a new one
later if you are putting it into store for such an extended period.

UK climate is more benign in that humidity is only high when it is cold
and sufficiently low in summer when it is warm that fungal growth or is
it actually a lichen can't really get going on something as smooth as
glass. I have seen the odd camera lens damaged by "fungus" this way but
it had been very badly treated by its previous owner(s).

I am careful to make sure my optics are properly dry before capping
them. Dew in the early morning is not an uncommon problem even with a
front element heater. The bit nearest the central obstruction tends to
cool fastest. I have thought about putting aluminium foil on the outward
facing surface but so far never got a roundtuit.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Re: fungus on SCT correctors

<f039d497-c1d5-4b5e-b0b9-1918d1b9bd69n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7741&group=sci.astro.amateur#7741

Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2022 13:18:49 -0800 (PST)
From: jsav...@ecn.ab.ca (Quadibloc)
 by: Quadibloc - Thu, 24 Feb 2022 21:18 UTC

On Thursday, February 24, 2022 at 8:19:42 AM UTC-7, RichA wrote:

> Why "store" them at all? Cover each end, put a dust cover over them and just leave them in the open.

Wouldn't such valuable items get stolen that way?

John Savard

Re: fungus on SCT correctors

<bec3417b-2d30-44d5-be42-90b3d10a451dn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7742&group=sci.astro.amateur#7742

Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2022 13:23:54 -0800 (PST)
From: jsav...@ecn.ab.ca (Quadibloc)
 by: Quadibloc - Thu, 24 Feb 2022 21:23 UTC

On Thursday, February 24, 2022 at 6:12:28 AM UTC-7, JJ wrote:
> Unfortunately, I cannot store them with good
> climate control.

This is puzzling. You would not be able to store them even with poor
climate control if you were homeless. So why on Earth couldn't
you keep them inside the house - under the bed, say, if there's no
other room.

Unless there are other members of your family less enthusiastic
about astronomy than yourself.

If you can store them outdoors without them being stolen, that
would indicate you live in a rural area, so you wouldn't need a building
permit to install a shed on your property - and upgrade it to have
climate control... although I suppose that's an expense too.

Maybe a dessicant is all you can manage - but then I'd suggest
something that provides a hermetic seal, not just a plastic bag.

I vaguely remember there's a sort of metal container for lard
that would be suitable...

John Savard

Re: fungus on SCT correctors

<sv8tki$hob$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7743&group=sci.astro.amateur#7743

From: JJ...@flavitron.net (JJ)
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2022 16:34:09 -0500
 by: JJ - Thu, 24 Feb 2022 21:34 UTC

On 2/24/22 16:23, Quadibloc wrote:
> On Thursday, February 24, 2022 at 6:12:28 AM UTC-7, JJ wrote:
>> Unfortunately, I cannot store them with good
>> climate control.
>
> This is puzzling. You would not be able to store them even with poor
> climate control if you were homeless. So why on Earth couldn't
> you keep them inside the house - under the bed, say, if there's no
> other room.

Not homeless (yet!) but lost my job when Covid hit the US. Out of work
ever since and don't qualify for any unemployment, so living on the last
of my savings. My home is oil heated, and right now the cost is
tremendous for oil heat, so I keep it minimal (50F) and wear down coats
and pants all day. It keeps me warm, but anything in the house is
subject to varying humidity and temperatures. 50F is the minimal
thermostat setting so the heat doesn't run all that much. This has been
going on for two years. Then, during the summer, I don't run the AC to
save on electricity so it might get up to 87F inside. Not good for the
scopes. I never thought it would be an issue until I removed the
corrector cap recently and there was the fungus.

> Unless there are other members of your family less enthusiastic
> about astronomy than yourself.

I live by myself, so no one else to complain about astro although no one
in the family is interested other than myself.

> If you can store them outdoors without them being stolen, that
> would indicate you live in a rural area, so you wouldn't need a building
> permit to install a shed on your property - and upgrade it to have
> climate control... although I suppose that's an expense too.
>
> Maybe a dessicant is all you can manage - but then I'd suggest
> something that provides a hermetic seal, not just a plastic bag.

Low on funds means nothing elaborate or expensive. I am also into
entomology. When Covid struck and my job was gone, I placed all of my
collections into large ziplocs along with dessicant. Humidity has been
kept low, but I also add moth balls to keep critters out. However, moth
balls near a scope would damage it.

> I vaguely remember there's a sort of metal container for lard
> that would be suitable...
>
> John Savard

Re: fungus on SCT correctors

<gevf1h97sifuq02svfm826t6tve05or1en@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7744&group=sci.astro.amateur#7744

From: clp...@alumni.caltech.edu (Chris L Peterson)
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2022 14:55:39 -0700
 by: Chris L Peterson - Thu, 24 Feb 2022 21:55 UTC

On Thu, 24 Feb 2022 16:34:09 -0500, JJ <JJ@flavitron.net> wrote:

>On 2/24/22 16:23, Quadibloc wrote:
>> On Thursday, February 24, 2022 at 6:12:28 AM UTC-7, JJ wrote:
>>> Unfortunately, I cannot store them with good
>>> climate control.
>>
>> This is puzzling. You would not be able to store them even with poor
>> climate control if you were homeless. So why on Earth couldn't
>> you keep them inside the house - under the bed, say, if there's no
>> other room.
>
>Not homeless (yet!) but lost my job when Covid hit the US. Out of work
>ever since and don't qualify for any unemployment, so living on the last
>of my savings. My home is oil heated, and right now the cost is
>tremendous for oil heat, so I keep it minimal (50F) and wear down coats
>and pants all day. It keeps me warm, but anything in the house is
>subject to varying humidity and temperatures. 50F is the minimal
>thermostat setting so the heat doesn't run all that much. This has been
>going on for two years. Then, during the summer, I don't run the AC to
>save on electricity so it might get up to 87F inside. Not good for the
>scopes. I never thought it would be an issue until I removed the
>corrector cap recently and there was the fungus.

This temperature range (and the rate it is likely to change indoors)
is absolutely no problem for the scopes. It is much narrower than what
they experience outside. I've had SCTs permanently mounted outside
(under an observatory roof) for years with no problems, temps from way
below freezing to summer heat, humidity from next to nothing to 100%.

There's no reason you should get condensation on the optics if they
are stored in your house, under the current conditions. The scopes
should be fine without special storage. Maybe the one with the fungus
problem got wet in some other way, or had water on the primary when it
was capped.

Re: fungus on SCT correctors

<aea73e7b-2a89-4f8c-973d-afbf0facd298n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7748&group=sci.astro.amateur#7748

Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2022 01:31:04 -0800 (PST)
From: csok...@gmail.com (StarDust)
 by: StarDust - Fri, 25 Feb 2022 09:31 UTC

On Thursday, February 24, 2022 at 5:12:28 AM UTC-8, JJ wrote:
> Have had my SCT's in storage for about five years under various
> temperatures and humidity, in other words not so well climate control.
> However, much to my surprise, I was going to use them recently but, upon
> removing the SCT covers, there is fungus on each corrector. Appears to
> be on the outside and not internal at least from what I can tell. I
> only found out about proper climate control recently and after the fact
> as I was not aware that scopes needed any kind of special storage. So...
>
> I have carefully removed the fungus and UVC irradiated the correctors
> and cover interiors for the specified time. Now the question becomes
> how to store the OTA's? Unfortunately, I cannot store them with good
> climate control. I was thinking of placing each SCT in a zip loc bag,
> large enough for each, and then including fresh capsules of rechargeable
> silica gel. That would be as close to climate control as I could get.
> I could actually include humidity monitors within the bags.
>
> Your thoughts on the aforementioned welcome and thank you in advance.
>
> JJ Sauer

You can start a fungus garden, eh?

Re: fungus on SCT correctors

<svagiq$sij$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7750&group=sci.astro.amateur#7750

From: JJ...@flavitron.net (JJ)
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2022 07:03:37 -0500
 by: JJ - Fri, 25 Feb 2022 12:03 UTC

On 2/24/22 16:55, Chris L Peterson wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Feb 2022 16:34:09 -0500, JJ <JJ@flavitron.net> wrote:

>>> This is puzzling. You would not be able to store them even with poor
>>> climate control if you were homeless. So why on Earth couldn't
>>> you keep them inside the house - under the bed, say, if there's no
>>> other room.
>>
>> Not homeless (yet!) but lost my job when Covid hit the US. Out of work
>> ever since and don't qualify for any unemployment, so living on the last
>> of my savings. My home is oil heated, and right now the cost is
>> tremendous for oil heat, so I keep it minimal (50F) and wear down coats
>> and pants all day. It keeps me warm, but anything in the house is
>> subject to varying humidity and temperatures. 50F is the minimal
>> thermostat setting so the heat doesn't run all that much. This has been
>> going on for two years. Then, during the summer, I don't run the AC to
>> save on electricity so it might get up to 87F inside. Not good for the
>> scopes. I never thought it would be an issue until I removed the
>> corrector cap recently and there was the fungus.
>
> This temperature range (and the rate it is likely to change indoors)
> is absolutely no problem for the scopes. It is much narrower than what
> they experience outside. I've had SCTs permanently mounted outside
> (under an observatory roof) for years with no problems, temps from way
> below freezing to summer heat, humidity from next to nothing to 100%.
>
> There's no reason you should get condensation on the optics if they
> are stored in your house, under the current conditions. The scopes
> should be fine without special storage. Maybe the one with the fungus
> problem got wet in some other way, or had water on the primary when it
> was capped.

I don't know. It's on all three of my SCT's! They've all been covered
and in storage for four years here in the house under the conditions
described for at least the last two years. Perhaps I should have never
put the tight corrector covers on the scopes in the first place.
Unfortunately, on the 8", it also appears to be on the mirror as well.
I've already removed the corrector and I will clean and deactivate the
fungus as best as I can, then UVC irradiate the interior. Was
disappointed to see that it had the worst attack of all of the scopes,
but the others are smaller.

Definitely going to bag all of them with desiccant, monitor humidity in
the bags, and keep their covers off and the rear open so that the
humidity will be drawn out and into the desiccant.

What a disappointment.

Re: fungus on SCT correctors

<vsoh1hh3nqoosrbnb0g4p1ld6lr5m7h18u@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7753&group=sci.astro.amateur#7753

From: clp...@alumni.caltech.edu (Chris L Peterson)
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2022 07:12:38 -0700
 by: Chris L Peterson - Fri, 25 Feb 2022 14:12 UTC

On Fri, 25 Feb 2022 07:03:37 -0500, JJ <JJ@flavitron.net> wrote:

>On 2/24/22 16:55, Chris L Peterson wrote:

>>> Not homeless (yet!) but lost my job when Covid hit the US. Out of work
>>> ever since and don't qualify for any unemployment, so living on the last
>>> of my savings. My home is oil heated, and right now the cost is
>>> tremendous for oil heat, so I keep it minimal (50F) and wear down coats
>>> and pants all day. It keeps me warm, but anything in the house is
>>> subject to varying humidity and temperatures. 50F is the minimal
>>> thermostat setting so the heat doesn't run all that much. This has been
>>> going on for two years. Then, during the summer, I don't run the AC to
>>> save on electricity so it might get up to 87F inside. Not good for the
>>> scopes. I never thought it would be an issue until I removed the
>>> corrector cap recently and there was the fungus.
>>
>> This temperature range (and the rate it is likely to change indoors)
>> is absolutely no problem for the scopes. It is much narrower than what
>> they experience outside. I've had SCTs permanently mounted outside
>> (under an observatory roof) for years with no problems, temps from way
>> below freezing to summer heat, humidity from next to nothing to 100%.
>>
>> There's no reason you should get condensation on the optics if they
>> are stored in your house, under the current conditions. The scopes
>> should be fine without special storage. Maybe the one with the fungus
>> problem got wet in some other way, or had water on the primary when it
>> was capped.
>
>I don't know. It's on all three of my SCT's! They've all been covered
>and in storage for four years here in the house under the conditions
>described for at least the last two years. Perhaps I should have never
>put the tight corrector covers on the scopes in the first place.
>Unfortunately, on the 8", it also appears to be on the mirror as well.
>I've already removed the corrector and I will clean and deactivate the
>fungus as best as I can, then UVC irradiate the interior. Was
>disappointed to see that it had the worst attack of all of the scopes,
>but the others are smaller.
>
>Definitely going to bag all of them with desiccant, monitor humidity in
>the bags, and keep their covers off and the rear open so that the
>humidity will be drawn out and into the desiccant.
>
>What a disappointment.

It is quite possible that covering them is what caused the problem in
the first place. Covers can themselves be where condensation forms,
which then drips down on whatever is beneath.

Re: fungus on SCT correctors

<svatvf$1j2$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7754&group=sci.astro.amateur#7754

From: JJ...@flavitron.net (JJ)
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2022 10:52:14 -0500
 by: JJ - Fri, 25 Feb 2022 15:52 UTC

On 2/25/22 09:12, Chris L Peterson wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Feb 2022 07:03:37 -0500, JJ <JJ@flavitron.net> wrote:

>>> This temperature range (and the rate it is likely to change indoors)
>>> is absolutely no problem for the scopes. It is much narrower than what
>>> they experience outside. I've had SCTs permanently mounted outside
>>> (under an observatory roof) for years with no problems, temps from way
>>> below freezing to summer heat, humidity from next to nothing to 100%.
>>>
>>> There's no reason you should get condensation on the optics if they
>>> are stored in your house, under the current conditions. The scopes
>>> should be fine without special storage. Maybe the one with the fungus
>>> problem got wet in some other way, or had water on the primary when it
>>> was capped.
>>
>> I don't know. It's on all three of my SCT's! They've all been covered
>> and in storage for four years here in the house under the conditions
>> described for at least the last two years. Perhaps I should have never
>> put the tight corrector covers on the scopes in the first place.
>> Unfortunately, on the 8", it also appears to be on the mirror as well.
>> I've already removed the corrector and I will clean and deactivate the
>> fungus as best as I can, then UVC irradiate the interior. Was
>> disappointed to see that it had the worst attack of all of the scopes,
>> but the others are smaller.
>>
>> Definitely going to bag all of them with desiccant, monitor humidity in
>> the bags, and keep their covers off and the rear open so that the
>> humidity will be drawn out and into the desiccant.
>>
>> What a disappointment.
>
> It is quite possible that covering them is what caused the problem in
> the first place. Covers can themselves be where condensation forms,
> which then drips down on whatever is beneath.

Well, the 8" is done, but unfortunately the corrector has been left with
spots. I am guessing the fungus ate into some of the coating. The
primary and secondary mirrors cleaned up well though. How important is
the corrector coating, will the scope still work ok? It is an old Meade
2080. Probably cheaper to buy new (or used) rather than trying to recoat.

The entire disassembly is now under the UVC. Once completed, will
simply let dry in open air for a while in case some of the distilled
water needs to evaporate. My bags and meters won't be here until early
next week anyway, although I do have the silica gel.

Re: fungus on SCT correctors

<qrvh1h936k07qqbl20h68tkhvlgq7amg4v@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7755&group=sci.astro.amateur#7755

From: clp...@alumni.caltech.edu (Chris L Peterson)
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2022 09:12:33 -0700
 by: Chris L Peterson - Fri, 25 Feb 2022 16:12 UTC

On Fri, 25 Feb 2022 10:52:14 -0500, JJ <JJ@flavitron.net> wrote:

>Well, the 8" is done, but unfortunately the corrector has been left with
>spots. I am guessing the fungus ate into some of the coating. The
>primary and secondary mirrors cleaned up well though. How important is
>the corrector coating, will the scope still work ok? It is an old Meade
>2080. Probably cheaper to buy new (or used) rather than trying to recoat.
>
>The entire disassembly is now under the UVC. Once completed, will
>simply let dry in open air for a while in case some of the distilled
>water needs to evaporate. My bags and meters won't be here until early
>next week anyway, although I do have the silica gel.

It is unlikely that the damaged coating will have any significant
impact on the view through the scope. It would be most likely to
produce something visible when you are observing the Moon, or when an
incident light source (like a streetlight) is hitting the corrector.

Re: fungus on SCT correctors

<svbgjb$kao$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7757&group=sci.astro.amateur#7757

From: JJ...@flavitron.net (JJ)
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2022 16:10:02 -0500
 by: JJ - Fri, 25 Feb 2022 21:10 UTC

On 2/25/22 11:12, Chris L Peterson wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Feb 2022 10:52:14 -0500, JJ <JJ@flavitron.net> wrote:
>
>> Well, the 8" is done, but unfortunately the corrector has been left with
>> spots. I am guessing the fungus ate into some of the coating. The
>> primary and secondary mirrors cleaned up well though. How important is
>> the corrector coating, will the scope still work ok? It is an old Meade
>> 2080. Probably cheaper to buy new (or used) rather than trying to recoat.
>>
>> The entire disassembly is now under the UVC. Once completed, will
>> simply let dry in open air for a while in case some of the distilled
>> water needs to evaporate. My bags and meters won't be here until early
>> next week anyway, although I do have the silica gel.
>
> It is unlikely that the damaged coating will have any significant
> impact on the view through the scope. It would be most likely to
> produce something visible when you are observing the Moon, or when an
> incident light source (like a streetlight) is hitting the corrector.

Well, it's in the bag now. Even a 10 gallon ziploc barely fit the 8"
along with the silica gel container and diagonal. If I was using the
scope on a regular basis, I'd have to go with a larger bag.

I was surprised that even the diagonal had fungus and had to be cleaned.

The 8" was kept in an audio equipment case repurposed to contain the OTA
along with the diagonal. Perhaps with the cover on, the diagonal in the
scope with the dust cap for the diagonal on, and the scope stored in the
case all the time was the reason for the fungus/ mold. Maybe no way to
breathe?

Re: fungus on SCT correctors

<eec9b6d2-8c5b-40f2-a62a-5aac726f1b5cn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7758&group=sci.astro.amateur#7758

Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2022 16:08:13 -0800 (PST)
From: jsav...@ecn.ab.ca (Quadibloc)
 by: Quadibloc - Sat, 26 Feb 2022 00:08 UTC

On Thursday, February 24, 2022 at 2:34:14 PM UTC-7, JJ wrote:

> Not homeless (yet!) but lost my job when Covid hit the US. Out of work
> ever since and don't qualify for any unemployment, so living on the last
> of my savings. My home is oil heated, and right now the cost is
> tremendous for oil heat, so I keep it minimal (50F) and wear down coats
> and pants all day.

Ah. This is what I did not imagine. I would have expected that anyone
who is out of a job as a result of the pandemic would automatically
qualify for assistance similar to unemployment insurance, but for as long
as necessary instead of a limited term.

Otherwise, some people might be tempted to defy government regulations
aimed at curbing the spread of the plague.

John Savard

Re: fungus on SCT correctors

<svdct7$3m1$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7760&group=sci.astro.amateur#7760

From: JJ...@flavitron.net (JJ)
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2022 09:19:18 -0500
 by: JJ - Sat, 26 Feb 2022 14:19 UTC

On 2/25/22 19:08, Quadibloc wrote:
> On Thursday, February 24, 2022 at 2:34:14 PM UTC-7, JJ wrote:
>
>> Not homeless (yet!) but lost my job when Covid hit the US. Out of work
>> ever since and don't qualify for any unemployment, so living on the last
>> of my savings. My home is oil heated, and right now the cost is
>> tremendous for oil heat, so I keep it minimal (50F) and wear down coats
>> and pants all day.
>
> Ah. This is what I did not imagine. I would have expected that anyone
> who is out of a job as a result of the pandemic would automatically
> qualify for assistance similar to unemployment insurance, but for as long
> as necessary instead of a limited term.
>
> Otherwise, some people might be tempted to defy government regulations
> aimed at curbing the spread of the plague.
>
> John Savard

The reason I didn't qualify was because I was a loved one caretaker for
ten years. My wife had a stroke and I left my job to care for her
instead of leaving it to the "system." We had appreciable savings built
up, having both worked for a long time, but her care required ten years
after which time, there's very little left to live on. I'm down to the
last of the savings and, at my age, it's going to be tough finding
employment not to mention the pandemic.

To help stretch savings, the first thing I did was get some down coats
and pants and turn off the house heat. Compared to the temps we used to
run at, this has saved about $12K since her passing. Some kind
relatives purchased the down clothing for me with my only job being to
find the best ones I could at a reasonable price.

So the climate indoors does vary quite a lot with little climate
control. It's 49F in here now as I type, but will probably be in the
upper 50's by mid week when the next warm front moves through.

As Chris point out, people have their scopes outdoors for years without
fungal issues, so it mystifies me as to why I have the fungus on almost
all of my optics. IIRC, one thing I used to do once upon a time when I
owned a Celestron 9.25 SCT was only use a fabric cover for each end.
Would keep out the dust, but never the air. I probably should have done
this with the SCT's now instead of sealing them completely with their
covers but, with all that's going on with me personally, the scopes
these last years have been my last thought.

Re: fungus on SCT correctors

<svdlba$nk8$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7762&group=sci.astro.amateur#7762

From: JJ...@flavitron.net (JJ)
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2022 11:43:21 -0500
 by: JJ - Sat, 26 Feb 2022 16:43 UTC

Only one telescope seemed to escape the fungus issue and that is an old
8" Edmund reflector. Instead of having solid covers, I only had fabric
coverings over both of its ends. The mirror, however, is quite dirty!
Perhaps instead of having the cover hanging over the top loosely, I
should have secured it against the OTA maybe with a rubber band?

Re: fungus on SCT correctors

<svef4m$8r1$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7763&group=sci.astro.amateur#7763

From: str...@realp20Kevens.com ( \"Keven Albert Strum\")
com>
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2022 16:03:33 -0800
 by: \Keven Albert Strum - Sun, 27 Feb 2022 00:03 UTC

WONDERFUL NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!
Elon Musk TIME's 2021 Person of the Year and a God to the horseshit® pretty
picture astro photographers but also a
BELOVED friend of astronomy has just launched
another massive 50 new satellites!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EoAHdwGBvU