From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: sci.engr.joining.welding
Subject: My First Autogenous Aluminum Weld
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2021 13:12:07 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Fri, 23 Jul 2021 20:12 UTC

(Not sure if that's the right word.)

I needed to make a new moisture trap for my air drier. (dryer?)
Instead of playing around with something automatic I decided to make a
simple aluminum tank that threads on with a manual drain in the bottom.
I used a short piece of piece pipe, and turned a press in cap for both
ends. Then I pressed them in. I wiped the assembly down with acetone,
and hit it with clean brush. Once I got the settings right (ok
functional) the first cap welded on and looks like a pro did it. I was
pretty pleased with myself. I flipped it around and had all kinds of
issues, and wound up having to use filler to keep from melting back the
pipe. Blech! Upon "final" inspection the first cap looked great, but
the second cap had two places it looked like I might be able to have a
leak (could have been welded inside, but it didn't wet out to were I
could see it.) I went back over it with a dab of filler on the two
"bad" spots and then circles the whole thing just making it flow and it
looks decent, but over welded.

That's it. After the first cap I was prepared to come on here and brag
about how easy it was, but after the second I almost didn't post at all.

I think I might have forgotten to clean off any cutting oil before
pressing in the second cap. I didn't use any cutting oil on the first
cap. It threaded nicely without it. There you go. My fault. In
complete prep work most likely.

https://www.avg.com

Re: My First Autogenous Aluminum Weld

<sdfpn6$6eu$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=78&group=sci.engr.joining.welding#78

From: muratla...@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: sci.engr.joining.welding
Subject: Re: My First Autogenous Aluminum Weld
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2021 21:17:16 -0400
 by: Jim Wilkins - Sat, 24 Jul 2021 01:17 UTC

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message news:sdf7qn$1he9$1@gioia.aioe.org...

(Not sure if that's the right word.)
--If the tank has both male and female threads it's androgynous.

I needed to make a new moisture trap for my air drier. (dryer?)
Instead of playing around with something automatic I decided to make a
simple aluminum tank that threads on with a manual drain in the bottom.

-----------------------

Paintball is a source of small aluminum pressure vessels:
https://www.airgundepot.com/20-oz-co2-aluminum-tank-refillable.html

Re: My First Autogenous Aluminum Weld

<sdfs97$gpu$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=79&group=sci.engr.joining.welding#79

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: sci.engr.joining.welding
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2021 19:01:13 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Sat, 24 Jul 2021 02:01 UTC

On 7/23/2021 6:17 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
> "Bob La Londe" wrote in message news:sdf7qn$1he9$1@gioia.aioe.org...
> (Not sure if that's the right word.)
> --If the tank has both male and female threads it's androgynous.

An aluminum weld with no filler metal. Not male and female electrodes. LOL

> I needed to make a new moisture trap for my air drier. (dryer?) Instead
> of playing around with something automatic I decided to make a simple
> aluminum tank that threads on with a manual drain in the bottom. ....
>
> -----------------------
>
> Paintball is a source of small aluminum pressure vessels:
> https://www.airgundepot.com/20-oz-co2-aluminum-tank-refillable.html

https://www.avg.com

Re: My First Autogenous Aluminum Weld

<sdgrg7$fma$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=81&group=sci.engr.joining.welding#81

From: muratla...@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: sci.engr.joining.welding
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2021 06:53:43 -0400
 by: Jim Wilkins - Sat, 24 Jul 2021 10:53 UTC

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message news:sdfs97$gpu$1@gioia.aioe.org...

On 7/23/2021 6:17 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
> "Bob La Londe" wrote in message news:sdf7qn$1he9$1@gioia.aioe.org...
> (Not sure if that's the right word.)
> --If the tank has both male and female threads it's androgynous.

An aluminum weld with no filler metal. Not male and female electrodes. LOL

I machined some press-fit aluminum battery mounting studs and tried to
attach them to a Segway robot with autogenous TIG welds. Fortunately my
welds could be salvaged using filler rod.

The next time I made screw-in battery studs that didn't suffer weld heat
distortion. I seemed to always get the jobs where the battery plate was too
big for the CNC mill and the mounting stud pattern needed manual layout.