From: frkry...@sbcglobal.net (Frank Krygowski)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Cycling on water
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2023 20:28:35 -0400
 by: Frank Krygowski - Sun, 2 Apr 2023 00:28 UTC

Speaking of technological developments:
https://manta5.com/product/hydrofoiler-xe-1/

I saw something vaguely similar demonstrated briefly at a bike
convention around 1982 or so. It was much less sophisticated, more like
a bike frame attached to a pair of hydrofoils.

I imagine such a thing would be restricted to flat water with very low
waves. But to me, it's interesting tech.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Re: Cycling on water

<e2c68525-6046-444f-a310-5d6ac2e6b247n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=78493&group=rec.bicycles.tech#78493

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2023 17:23:33 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Cycling on water
From: timothy4...@gmail.com (Tim R)
 by: Tim R - Mon, 3 Apr 2023 00:23 UTC

On Saturday, April 1, 2023 at 8:28:40 PM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
> Speaking of technological developments:
> https://manta5.com/product/hydrofoiler-xe-1/
>
> I saw something vaguely similar demonstrated briefly at a bike
> convention around 1982 or so. It was much less sophisticated, more like
> a bike frame attached to a pair of hydrofoils.
>
> I imagine such a thing would be restricted to flat water with very low
> waves. But to me, it's interesting tech.
>
> --
> - Frank Krygowski

The propeller in front looks wrong, but maybe that's where it needs to be.

There's lots of vertical rudder surface too, it almost looks like the front rudder helps pull the back one over. You might need that with that much horizontal stabilization, and you probably need that with no gyroscope.

I'd rent one at a beach to try, but $9,000 seems a little steep.

Re: Cycling on water

<h28k2i90udek5ki5ftkufm8sb7h19ambuo@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=78499&group=rec.bicycles.tech#78499

From: slocom...@gmail.com (John B.)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2023 07:54:26 +0700
 by: John B. - Mon, 3 Apr 2023 00:54 UTC

On Sun, 2 Apr 2023 17:23:33 -0700 (PDT), Tim R
<timothy42bach@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Saturday, April 1, 2023 at 8:28:40?PM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
>> Speaking of technological developments:
>> https://manta5.com/product/hydrofoiler-xe-1/
>>
>> I saw something vaguely similar demonstrated briefly at a bike
>> convention around 1982 or so. It was much less sophisticated, more like
>> a bike frame attached to a pair of hydrofoils.
>>
>> I imagine such a thing would be restricted to flat water with very low
>> waves. But to me, it's interesting tech.
>>
>> --
>> - Frank Krygowski
>
>The propeller in front looks wrong, but maybe that's where it needs to be.
>
>There's lots of vertical rudder surface too, it almost looks like the front rudder helps pull the back one over. You might need that with that much horizontal stabilization, and you probably need that with no gyroscope.

The "rudder" seems to be the front "trifoil". See parts breakdown
further down the page, as the rear vertical "fin" doesn't seem to be
movable.

I was "around" a full sized hydrofoil ferry for a while and it seemed
to be quibble in fairly heavy weather.

>I'd rent one at a beach to try, but $9,000 seems a little steep.

As for price.... well (I read) that $20,000 is really cheap in the
high end bike market :-)
https://www.beautifullife.info/automotive-design/most-expensive-bicycles-in-the-world/

Can you imagine the conversation? "Gee, nice bike. What did you pay
for it?" "Well I got the cheap model so only $20,000".
--
Cheers,

John B.

Re: Cycling on water

<u0db4s$2q2vc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=78503&group=rec.bicycles.tech#78503

From: frkry...@sbcglobal.net (Frank Krygowski)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2023 21:46:04 -0400
 by: Frank Krygowski - Mon, 3 Apr 2023 01:46 UTC

On 4/2/2023 8:23 PM, Tim R wrote:
> On Saturday, April 1, 2023 at 8:28:40 PM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
>> Speaking of technological developments:
>> https://manta5.com/product/hydrofoiler-xe-1/
>>
>> I saw something vaguely similar demonstrated briefly at a bike
>> convention around 1982 or so. It was much less sophisticated, more like
>> a bike frame attached to a pair of hydrofoils.
>>
>> I imagine such a thing would be restricted to flat water with very low
>> waves. But to me, it's interesting tech.
>>
>> --
>> - Frank Krygowski
>
> The propeller in front looks wrong, but maybe that's where it needs to be.
>
> There's lots of vertical rudder surface too, it almost looks like the front rudder helps pull the back one over. You might need that with that much horizontal stabilization, and you probably need that with no gyroscope.
>
> I'd rent one at a beach to try, but $9,000 seems a little steep.

I suspect it wouldn't work well on an ocean, if that's the type of beach
you meant. As I said, I think waves would be a problem. But sure, I'd
like to try it.

I once did a test ride in a pedal powered kayak, one something like
this: https://www.mariner-sails.com/2022-mirage-passport-12.html No
propeller, instead a couple of reciprocating "fins." It seemed quite
fast, but there was something weird and unsatisfying about the pedaling
action. It may have been the lack of inertia in the system.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Re: Cycling on water

<h1ck2id8nqnnkc5cdmtdjd6ojumheg592a@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=78507&group=rec.bicycles.tech#78507

From: jef...@cruzio.com (Jeff Liebermann)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2023 19:00:14 -0700
 by: Jeff Liebermann - Mon, 3 Apr 2023 02:00 UTC

On Sat, 1 Apr 2023 20:28:35 -0400, Frank Krygowski
<frkrygow@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>Speaking of technological developments:
>https://manta5.com/product/hydrofoiler-xe-1/
>
>I saw something vaguely similar demonstrated briefly at a bike
>convention around 1982 or so. It was much less sophisticated, more like
>a bike frame attached to a pair of hydrofoils.

The AquaSkipper was introduced in about that time frame:
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQycpozBun0>
<https://inventist.com/inventions/aquaskipper/>
I made the mistake of pointing it out to a friend. He lives on a lake
in Canada. He bought one, tried it, and quickly gave up. Riding was
very exhausting. The kids did better, but they too would eventually
become tired.

>I imagine such a thing would be restricted to flat water with very low
>waves. But to me, it's interesting tech.

Yep. No waves, wind, kelp, or floating debris. If anything gets in
its way, it stops and your sink instantly. You can also forget about
getting towed by a power boat. The boats wake is enough to
destabilize the hydrofoil.

--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com
Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272

Re: Cycling on water

<u0de4r$2qgmc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=78510&group=rec.bicycles.tech#78510

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2023 19:37:15 -0700
 by: sms - Mon, 3 Apr 2023 02:37 UTC

On 4/2/2023 5:23 PM, Tim R wrote:
> On Saturday, April 1, 2023 at 8:28:40 PM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
>> Speaking of technological developments:
>> https://manta5.com/product/hydrofoiler-xe-1/
>>
>> I saw something vaguely similar demonstrated briefly at a bike
>> convention around 1982 or so. It was much less sophisticated, more like
>> a bike frame attached to a pair of hydrofoils.
>>
>> I imagine such a thing would be restricted to flat water with very low
>> waves. But to me, it's interesting tech.
>>
>> --
>> - Frank Krygowski
>
> The propeller in front looks wrong, but maybe that's where it needs to be.
>
> There's lots of vertical rudder surface too, it almost looks like the front rudder helps pull the back one over. You might need that with that much horizontal stabilization, and you probably need that with no gyroscope.
>
> I'd rent one at a beach to try, but $9,000 seems a little steep.

$350 for 90 minutes on SF Bay
<https://spinoutfitness.com/sf-waterbike-experiences>

--
“If you are not an expert on a subject, then your opinions about it
really do matter less than the opinions of experts. It's not

Re: Cycling on water

<9iqk2i13jl6r2qpjdqba6cl90dvile7tv8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=78511&group=rec.bicycles.tech#78511

From: jef...@cruzio.com (Jeff Liebermann)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2023 22:57:45 -0700
 by: Jeff Liebermann - Mon, 3 Apr 2023 05:57 UTC

On Sun, 2 Apr 2023 19:37:15 -0700, sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com>
wrote:

>On 4/2/2023 5:23 PM, Tim R wrote:
>> On Saturday, April 1, 2023 at 8:28:40?PM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
>>> Speaking of technological developments:
>>> https://manta5.com/product/hydrofoiler-xe-1/
>>>
>>> I saw something vaguely similar demonstrated briefly at a bike
>>> convention around 1982 or so. It was much less sophisticated, more like
>>> a bike frame attached to a pair of hydrofoils.
>>>
>>> I imagine such a thing would be restricted to flat water with very low
>>> waves. But to me, it's interesting tech.
>>>
>>> --
>>> - Frank Krygowski
>>
>> The propeller in front looks wrong, but maybe that's where it needs to be.
>>
>> There's lots of vertical rudder surface too, it almost looks like the front rudder helps pull the back one over. You might need that with that much horizontal stabilization, and you probably need that with no gyroscope.
>>
>> I'd rent one at a beach to try, but $9,000 seems a little steep.

>$350 for 90 minutes on SF Bay
><https://spinoutfitness.com/sf-waterbike-experiences>

That "waterbike" is not a hydrofoil:
<https://cdn.filestackcontent.com/34hK23WsRBySk2ydcimV/convert?cache=true&compress=true&quality=90&w=1000&fit=max>