You are in a maze of UUCP connections, all alike.

tech / sci.astro.amateur / Re: More obtrusive orbiting space junk

SubjectAuthor
* Re: More obtrusive orbiting space junkChris L Peterson
+* Re: More obtrusive orbiting space junkStarDust
|`- Re: More obtrusive orbiting space junkChris L Peterson
`* Re: More obtrusive orbiting space junkChris L Peterson
 `- Re: More obtrusive orbiting space junkChris L Peterson

1
Re: More obtrusive orbiting space junk

<om2h3hdn71kpdquogo1j9jvsvugg52sv5k@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7882&group=sci.astro.amateur#7882

From: clp...@alumni.caltech.edu (Chris L Peterson)
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Subject: Re: More obtrusive orbiting space junk
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2022 08:26:53 -0600
 by: Chris L Peterson - Mon, 21 Mar 2022 14:26 UTC

On Sun, 20 Mar 2022 22:28:27 -0700 (PDT), RichA <rander3128@gmail.com>
wrote:

>https://phys.org/news/2022-03-solar-power-station-space-benefits.html
>
>Just because they can't figure a way to use the useless, sunlit areas of the world (otherwise known as deserts) to hold their crappy solar farms. These areas are almost completely depopulated and could easily support enough solar farms to all of Europe. Why not use them first?
>
>https://phys.org/news/2022-03-solar-power-station-space-benefits.html

Covering large areas of desert with solar panels is environmentally
damaging. In north Africa, in particular, doing so is likely to change
climate patterns.

Distributed installations make much more sense, and very few places on
Earth are unsuitable.

Re: More obtrusive orbiting space junk

<ca64ae79-c8fc-418c-978b-fcd595f209f4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7885&group=sci.astro.amateur#7885

Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2022 14:21:28 -0700 (PDT)
From: csok...@gmail.com (StarDust)
 by: StarDust - Mon, 21 Mar 2022 21:21 UTC

On Monday, March 21, 2022 at 7:26:56 AM UTC-7, Chris L Peterson wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Mar 2022 22:28:27 -0700 (PDT), RichA <rande...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >https://phys.org/news/2022-03-solar-power-station-space-benefits.html
> >
> >Just because they can't figure a way to use the useless, sunlit areas of the world (otherwise known as deserts) to hold their crappy solar farms. These areas are almost completely depopulated and could easily support enough solar farms to all of Europe. Why not use them first?
> >
> >https://phys.org/news/2022-03-solar-power-station-space-benefits.html
> Covering large areas of desert with solar panels is environmentally
> damaging. In north Africa, in particular, doing so is likely to change
> climate patterns.
>
> Distributed installations make much more sense, and very few places on
> Earth are unsuitable.

The future is hydrogen power, using the sun to split water!

Re: More obtrusive orbiting space junk

<p1jj3hh3e092avffobvg8i8ekt6sib7mv4@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7888&group=sci.astro.amateur#7888

From: clp...@alumni.caltech.edu (Chris L Peterson)
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2022 07:17:41 -0600
 by: Chris L Peterson - Tue, 22 Mar 2022 13:17 UTC

On Mon, 21 Mar 2022 14:21:28 -0700 (PDT), StarDust <csoka01@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Monday, March 21, 2022 at 7:26:56 AM UTC-7, Chris L Peterson wrote:
>> On Sun, 20 Mar 2022 22:28:27 -0700 (PDT), RichA <rande...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> >https://phys.org/news/2022-03-solar-power-station-space-benefits.html
>> >
>> >Just because they can't figure a way to use the useless, sunlit areas of the world (otherwise known as deserts) to hold their crappy solar farms. These areas are almost completely depopulated and could easily support enough solar farms to all of Europe. Why not use them first?
>> >
>> >https://phys.org/news/2022-03-solar-power-station-space-benefits.html
>> Covering large areas of desert with solar panels is environmentally
>> damaging. In north Africa, in particular, doing so is likely to change
>> climate patterns.
>>
>> Distributed installations make much more sense, and very few places on
>> Earth are unsuitable.
>
>The future is hydrogen power, using the sun to split water!

As our primary energy source, that's unlikely. As a source for a
variety of niche applications, very likely.

Photovoltaic is just too simple and too inexpensive for much of
anything to compete with it.

Re: More obtrusive orbiting space junk

<t3jj3h541rdaugk2s7vrqhrmgkbvh7qbdl@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7889&group=sci.astro.amateur#7889

From: clp...@alumni.caltech.edu (Chris L Peterson)
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2022 07:18:58 -0600
 by: Chris L Peterson - Tue, 22 Mar 2022 13:18 UTC

On Tue, 22 Mar 2022 03:02:14 -0700 (PDT), RichA <rander3128@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Monday, 21 March 2022 at 10:26:56 UTC-4, Chris L Peterson wrote:
>> On Sun, 20 Mar 2022 22:28:27 -0700 (PDT), RichA <rande...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> >https://phys.org/news/2022-03-solar-power-station-space-benefits.html
>> >
>> >Just because they can't figure a way to use the useless, sunlit areas of the world (otherwise known as deserts) to hold their crappy solar farms. These areas are almost completely depopulated and could easily support enough solar farms to all of Europe. Why not use them first?
>> >
>> >https://phys.org/news/2022-03-solar-power-station-space-benefits.html
>> Covering large areas of desert with solar panels is environmentally
>> damaging. In north Africa, in particular, doing so is likely to change
>> climate patterns.
>>
>> Distributed installations make much more sense, and very few places on
>> Earth are unsuitable.
>
>The desert is dry. If it gets wet (the only change possible) is that a bad thing?

The Sahara modulates and influences the weather of the entire
Mediterranean region. Most deserts have significant influence over
areas much wider than just those deserts.

Re: More obtrusive orbiting space junk

<hl6l3h56rtkc95abvtr20gfmmjppi2gfhh@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7893&group=sci.astro.amateur#7893

From: clp...@alumni.caltech.edu (Chris L Peterson)
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2022 21:59:31 -0600
 by: Chris L Peterson - Wed, 23 Mar 2022 03:59 UTC

On Tue, 22 Mar 2022 18:48:21 -0700 (PDT), RichA <rander3128@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Tuesday, 22 March 2022 at 09:19:03 UTC-4, Chris L Peterson wrote:
>> On Tue, 22 Mar 2022 03:02:14 -0700 (PDT), RichA <rande...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>> >The desert is dry. If it gets wet (the only change possible) is that a bad thing?
>> The Sahara modulates and influences the weather of the entire
>> Mediterranean region. Most deserts have significant influence over
>> areas much wider than just those deserts.
>
>So what? Why are people so terrified of change? It might be on balance a good thing. Even if you humour the envirokooks and believe their nonsense about 5 deg. changes over 100 years (or whatever the figure this week) more of the inhospitable north will become livable. Greenland for example is a gigantic land mass. If it weren't covered in 2 miles of ice, it might even be usable.

The pattern isn't a good one. Most are not. When climate changes too
fast, it is damaging. We're already in a major extinction event. A few
more decades of the current trend will be the end of our nations and
economies as we know them. Hundreds of millions of deaths, starvation,
wars.