Disclaimer: "These opinions are my own, though for a small fee they be yours too." -- Dave Haynie

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Re: First five water bottle ride of the year

SubjectAuthor
* First five water bottle ride of the yearCatrike Rider
+* Re: First five water bottle ride of the yearJohn B.
|`* Re: First five water bottle ride of the yearCatrike Rider
| +- Re: First five water bottle ride of the yearJohn B.
| `- Re: First five water bottle ride of the yearTom Kunich
`* Re: First five water bottle ride of the yearRoger Meriman
 +- Re: First five water bottle ride of the yearTom Kunich
 `* Re: First five water bottle ride of the yearCatrike Rider
  `* Re: First five water bottle ride of the yearRoger Meriman
   `* Re: First five water bottle ride of the yearMark Cleary
    `* Re: First five water bottle ride of the yearCatrike Rider
     `- Re: First five water bottle ride of the yearRoger Meriman

1
First five water bottle ride of the year

<5p413ill2e42o0su9m85pb3n449ivvigkg@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=78834&group=rec.bicycles.tech#78834

From: solo...@drafting.not (Catrike Rider)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: First five water bottle ride of the year
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2023 18:19:40 -0400
 by: Catrike Rider - Fri, 7 Apr 2023 22:19 UTC

45 miles in 90+ degree weather, and thanks to covid, there is no
longer any water available on the trail. I have often needed five or
more 24 oz bottles of water on my rides, but I used to be able to
refill out on the trails. Today I carried five full bottles. I have a
sixth bottle cage available, and in a pinch I can carry a seventh in
the bottle cage mounted in front of me above my gun mount where I
often stash my shirt if I have to take it off.

There will be water available soon on the Suncoast and starkey trails.
The running water, electrified restroom is almost ready. They were
drilling the well today.

Re: First five water bottle ride of the year

<7kg13i97n5csg1h20fe5n9ht3mtbpeijia@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=78846&group=rec.bicycles.tech#78846

From: slocom...@gmail.com (John B.)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: First five water bottle ride of the year
Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2023 08:30:08 +0700
 by: John B. - Sat, 8 Apr 2023 01:30 UTC

On Fri, 07 Apr 2023 18:19:40 -0400, Catrike Rider
<soloman@drafting.not> wrote:

>45 miles in 90+ degree weather, and thanks to covid, there is no
>longer any water available on the trail. I have often needed five or
>more 24 oz bottles of water on my rides, but I used to be able to
>refill out on the trails. Today I carried five full bottles. I have a
>sixth bottle cage available, and in a pinch I can carry a seventh in
>the bottle cage mounted in front of me above my gun mount where I
>often stash my shirt if I have to take it off.
>
>There will be water available soon on the Suncoast and starkey trails.
>The running water, electrified restroom is almost ready. They were
>drilling the well today.

Ride earlier in the morning. 45 miles at say 15 MPH is only 3 hours,
so start about 05:00 be home by 08:00. A 2, maybe 3, bottle ride (:-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Re: First five water bottle ride of the year

<n7123ipmge39douihvdq026idbgmrqela7@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=78848&group=rec.bicycles.tech#78848

From: solo...@drafting.not (Catrike Rider)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2023 02:17:59 -0400
 by: Catrike Rider - Sat, 8 Apr 2023 06:17 UTC

On Sat, 08 Apr 2023 08:30:08 +0700, John B. <slocombjb@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Fri, 07 Apr 2023 18:19:40 -0400, Catrike Rider
><soloman@drafting.not> wrote:
>

>>45 miles in 90+ degree weather, and thanks to covid, there is no
>>longer any water available on the trail. I have often needed five or
>>more 24 oz bottles of water on my rides, but I used to be able to
>>refill out on the trails. Today I carried five full bottles. I have a
>>sixth bottle cage available, and in a pinch I can carry a seventh in
>>the bottle cage mounted in front of me above my gun mount where I
>>often stash my shirt if I have to take it off.
>>
>>There will be water available soon on the Suncoast and starkey trails.
>>The running water, electrified restroom is almost ready. They were
>>drilling the well today.
>

>Ride earlier in the morning. 45 miles at say 15 MPH is only 3 hours,
>so start about 05:00 be home by 08:00. A 2, maybe 3, bottle ride (:-)

That's when everybody else will be out there, especially on a holiday
like yesterday. I began riding at 10:45. There were very few other
riders out there ... and besides, the heat has never beeen a problem
for me.

Re: First five water bottle ride of the year

<9k723ip83r1eq5euvkpjgu3osi7e910nom@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=78849&group=rec.bicycles.tech#78849

From: slocom...@gmail.com (John B.)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2023 15:07:39 +0700
 by: John B. - Sat, 8 Apr 2023 08:07 UTC

On Sat, 08 Apr 2023 02:17:59 -0400, Catrike Rider
<soloman@drafting.not> wrote:

>On Sat, 08 Apr 2023 08:30:08 +0700, John B. <slocombjb@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 07 Apr 2023 18:19:40 -0400, Catrike Rider
>><soloman@drafting.not> wrote:
>>

>>>45 miles in 90+ degree weather, and thanks to covid, there is no
>>>longer any water available on the trail. I have often needed five or
>>>more 24 oz bottles of water on my rides, but I used to be able to
>>>refill out on the trails. Today I carried five full bottles. I have a
>>>sixth bottle cage available, and in a pinch I can carry a seventh in
>>>the bottle cage mounted in front of me above my gun mount where I
>>>often stash my shirt if I have to take it off.
>>>
>>>There will be water available soon on the Suncoast and starkey trails.
>>>The running water, electrified restroom is almost ready. They were
>>>drilling the well today.
>>

>>Ride earlier in the morning. 45 miles at say 15 MPH is only 3 hours,
>>so start about 05:00 be home by 08:00. A 2, maybe 3, bottle ride (:-)
>
>That's when everybody else will be out there, especially on a holiday
>like yesterday. I began riding at 10:45. There were very few other
>riders out there ... and besides, the heat has never beeen a problem
>for me.

Well, with my bad hip I don't ride any more but I've always started
out early in the morning. Usually about 05:00, or there about. It is
much cooler and an added advantage is that there isn't much traffic
that early.

In Bangkok I used to do a 10 mile round the block sort of ride most
morning and starting out about 5 or 5-thirty it was a nice ride but if
you waited till, say 8 o'clock, traffic both on the road and
pedestrian turned it into something where getting off and walking
seemed like a great option :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Re: First five water bottle ride of the year

<6wdYL.3393812$odm4.1293438@fx14.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=78852&group=rec.bicycles.tech#78852

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
From: rog...@sarlet.com (Roger Meriman)
Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2023 12:56:34 GMT
 by: Roger Meriman - Sat, 8 Apr 2023 12:56 UTC

Catrike Rider <soloman@drafting.not> wrote:

> 45 miles in 90+ degree weather, and thanks to covid, there is no
> longer any water available on the trail. I have often needed five or
> more 24 oz bottles of water on my rides, but I used to be able to
> refill out on the trails. Today I carried five full bottles. I have a
> sixth bottle cage available, and in a pinch I can carry a seventh in
> the bottle cage mounted in front of me above my gun mount where I
> often stash my shirt if I have to take it off.

That is quite a lot of water! Though arguably most probably under hydrate.
That sort of distance and temperature and terrain I’d probably go though
two bottles on the gravel bike on the old railway trail down to the coast,
or similar though would stop probably for coffee/cake.

With the MTB have a 2 litre hydration pack plus bottle if needed. Though
tends to be shorter but much more intense and generally it’s food not water
that you tend start to need.

> There will be water available soon on the Suncoast and starkey trails.
> The running water, electrified restroom is almost ready. They were
> drilling the well today.

Seems a odd choice to take away the water stops, and would seem to
encourage folks not to be outside which is generally better for keeping
Covid at bay, had few places locally that did that with loos though have re
opened after complaints both public and political.

A lot of health and safety measures are cost in reality and simply a excuse
given.

Roger Merriman

Re: First five water bottle ride of the year

<5ec8d2c7-8ced-4afd-990f-7cc86909442an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=78861&group=rec.bicycles.tech#78861

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2023 06:58:55 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Sat, 8 Apr 2023 13:58 UTC

On Friday, April 7, 2023 at 11:18:10 PM UTC-7, Catrike Rider wrote:
> On Sat, 08 Apr 2023 08:30:08 +0700, John B. <sloc...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >On Fri, 07 Apr 2023 18:19:40 -0400, Catrike Rider
> ><sol...@drafting.not> wrote:
> >

> >>45 miles in 90+ degree weather, and thanks to covid, there is no
> >>longer any water available on the trail. I have often needed five or
> >>more 24 oz bottles of water on my rides, but I used to be able to
> >>refill out on the trails. Today I carried five full bottles. I have a
> >>sixth bottle cage available, and in a pinch I can carry a seventh in
> >>the bottle cage mounted in front of me above my gun mount where I
> >>often stash my shirt if I have to take it off.
> >>
> >>There will be water available soon on the Suncoast and starkey trails.
> >>The running water, electrified restroom is almost ready. They were
> >>drilling the well today.
> >

> >Ride earlier in the morning. 45 miles at say 15 MPH is only 3 hours,
> >so start about 05:00 be home by 08:00. A 2, maybe 3, bottle ride (:-)
> That's when everybody else will be out there, especially on a holiday
> like yesterday. I began riding at 10:45. There were very few other
> riders out there ... and besides, the heat has never beeen a problem
> for me.

John with his usual loud mouth incompetence just has to comment.

Re: First five water bottle ride of the year

<7b78a429-2454-4e97-a16a-24451f43f6e4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=78862&group=rec.bicycles.tech#78862

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2023 07:01:16 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Sat, 8 Apr 2023 14:01 UTC

On Saturday, April 8, 2023 at 5:56:37 AM UTC-7, Roger Meriman wrote:
> Catrike Rider <sol...@drafting.not> wrote:
> >
> > 45 miles in 90+ degree weather, and thanks to covid, there is no
> > longer any water available on the trail. I have often needed five or
> > more 24 oz bottles of water on my rides, but I used to be able to
> > refill out on the trails. Today I carried five full bottles. I have a
> > sixth bottle cage available, and in a pinch I can carry a seventh in
> > the bottle cage mounted in front of me above my gun mount where I
> > often stash my shirt if I have to take it off.
> That is quite a lot of water! Though arguably most probably under hydrate..
> That sort of distance and temperature and terrain I’d probably go though
> two bottles on the gravel bike on the old railway trail down to the coast,
> or similar though would stop probably for coffee/cake.
>
> With the MTB have a 2 litre hydration pack plus bottle if needed. Though
> tends to be shorter but much more intense and generally it’s food not water
> that you tend start to need.
> >
> > There will be water available soon on the Suncoast and starkey trails.
> > The running water, electrified restroom is almost ready. They were
> > drilling the well today.
> >
> Seems a odd choice to take away the water stops, and would seem to
> encourage folks not to be outside which is generally better for keeping
> Covid at bay, had few places locally that did that with loos though have re
> opened after complaints both public and political.
>
> A lot of health and safety measures are cost in reality and simply a excuse
> given.
>
> Roger Merriman
Roger, Cattrike rides in Florida in 90%+ humidity.

Re: First five water bottle ride of the year

<9bu23i14lohphtofsicokeo57funk9cnr4@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=78865&group=rec.bicycles.tech#78865

From: solo...@drafting.not (Catrike Rider)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2023 10:43:28 -0400
 by: Catrike Rider - Sat, 8 Apr 2023 14:43 UTC

On Sat, 08 Apr 2023 12:56:34 GMT, Roger Meriman <roger@sarlet.com>
wrote:

>Catrike Rider <soloman@drafting.not> wrote:
>>
>> 45 miles in 90+ degree weather, and thanks to covid, there is no
>> longer any water available on the trail. I have often needed five or
>> more 24 oz bottles of water on my rides, but I used to be able to
>> refill out on the trails. Today I carried five full bottles. I have a
>> sixth bottle cage available, and in a pinch I can carry a seventh in
>> the bottle cage mounted in front of me above my gun mount where I
>> often stash my shirt if I have to take it off.
>
>That is quite a lot of water! Though arguably most probably under hydrate.
>That sort of distance and temperature and terrain I’d probably go though
>two bottles on the gravel bike on the old railway trail down to the coast,
>or similar though would stop probably for coffee/cake.

Yes, I still under hydrate. I'll have a Yeungling and a diet Dr.
Pepper while I'm sitting on the tail gate ofvthe truck cooling down
and quite a bit of iced tea when I get home.

>With the MTB have a 2 litre hydration pack plus bottle if needed. Though
>tends to be shorter but much more intense and generally it’s food not water
>that you tend start to need.

I'm generally not fit to go in anywhere for food until I'm showered
and dressed in clean, dry, respectable clothes.

>> There will be water available soon on the Suncoast and starkey trails.
>> The running water, electrified restroom is almost ready. They were
>> drilling the well today.
>>
>Seems a odd choice to take away the water stops, and would seem to
>encourage folks not to be outside which is generally better for keeping
>Covid at bay, had few places locally that did that with loos though have re
>opened after complaints both public and political.

They were concerned about passing the bug. The water stops were big
jugs of ice. I think the new restroom is a responce to taking the
frozen water stops away. It'd be nice to see another one further up
the trail.

>A lot of health and safety measures are cost in reality and simply a excuse
>given.
>
>Roger Merriman

Re: First five water bottle ride of the year

<hahYL.2304424$gs1.1207523@fx15.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=78875&group=rec.bicycles.tech#78875

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
From: rog...@sarlet.com (Roger Meriman)
Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2023 17:06:21 GMT
 by: Roger Meriman - Sat, 8 Apr 2023 17:06 UTC

Catrike Rider <soloman@drafting.not> wrote:
> On Sat, 08 Apr 2023 12:56:34 GMT, Roger Meriman <roger@sarlet.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Catrike Rider <soloman@drafting.not> wrote:
>>>
>>> 45 miles in 90+ degree weather, and thanks to covid, there is no
>>> longer any water available on the trail. I have often needed five or
>>> more 24 oz bottles of water on my rides, but I used to be able to
>>> refill out on the trails. Today I carried five full bottles. I have a
>>> sixth bottle cage available, and in a pinch I can carry a seventh in
>>> the bottle cage mounted in front of me above my gun mount where I
>>> often stash my shirt if I have to take it off.
>>
>> That is quite a lot of water! Though arguably most probably under hydrate.
>> That sort of distance and temperature and terrain I’d probably go though
>> two bottles on the gravel bike on the old railway trail down to the coast,
>> or similar though would stop probably for coffee/cake.
>
> Yes, I still under hydrate. I'll have a Yeungling and a diet Dr.
> Pepper while I'm sitting on the tail gate ofvthe truck cooling down
> and quite a bit of iced tea when I get home.

If MTBing and using the car, I will on hot days leave a bottle of coke etc
to drink on my return though with the hydration pack I can stay more on
fluid though it’s generally higher intensity than Gravel rides which are
generally longer more mellow rides hence why a 20+ MTB ride will be equal
to a 70ish gravel ride.

>> With the MTB have a 2 litre hydration pack plus bottle if needed. Though
>> tends to be shorter but much more intense and generally it’s food not water
>> that you tend start to need.
>
> I'm generally not fit to go in anywhere for food until I'm showered
> and dressed in clean, dry, respectable clothes.

Depends on the place, number of cafes/pubs cater to the muddy boots crowds,
ie walkers and cyclists so will not blink at any amount of mud splattering.

As certainly on a harder ride one will need some sort of food. 20/30 miles
is generally my limit before it’s wise though does depend on effort.

>>> There will be water available soon on the Suncoast and starkey trails.
>>> The running water, electrified restroom is almost ready. They were
>>> drilling the well today.
>>>
>> Seems a odd choice to take away the water stops, and would seem to
>> encourage folks not to be outside which is generally better for keeping
>> Covid at bay, had few places locally that did that with loos though have re
>> opened after complaints both public and political.
>
> They were concerned about passing the bug. The water stops were big
> jugs of ice. I think the new restroom is a responce to taking the
> frozen water stops away. It'd be nice to see another one further up
> the trail.

To the best of my knowledge it’s air than touch and was clearly so fairly
quickly on.

>> A lot of health and safety measures are cost in reality and simply a excuse
>> given.
>>
>> Roger Merriman

Roger Merriman

Re: First five water bottle ride of the year

<2ca2a504-d74b-456f-ba52-571afcbe243en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=79012&group=rec.bicycles.tech#79012

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2023 12:14:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: deaconmj...@gmail.com (Mark Cleary)
 by: Mark Cleary - Mon, 10 Apr 2023 19:14 UTC

On Saturday, April 8, 2023 at 12:06:24 PM UTC-5, Roger Meriman wrote:
> Catrike Rider <sol...@drafting.not> wrote:
> > On Sat, 08 Apr 2023 12:56:34 GMT, Roger Meriman <ro...@sarlet.com>
> > wrote:

> >> That is quite a lot of water! Though arguably most probably under hydrate.
> >> That sort of distance and temperature and terrain I’d probably go though
> >> two bottles on the gravel bike on the old railway trail down to the coast,
> >> or similar though would stop probably for coffee/cake.
> >
> > Yes, I still under hydrate. I'll have a Yeungling and a diet Dr.
> > Pepper while I'm sitting on the tail gate ofvthe truck cooling down
> > and quite a bit of iced tea when I get home.
> If MTBing and using the car, I will on hot days leave a bottle of coke etc
> to drink on my return though with the hydration pack I can stay more on
> fluid though it’s generally higher intensity than Gravel rides which are
> generally longer more mellow rides hence why a 20+ MTB ride will be equal
> to a 70ish gravel ride.
> >
> >> With the MTB have a 2 litre hydration pack plus bottle if needed. Though
> >> tends to be shorter but much more intense and generally it’s food not water
> >> that you tend start to need.
> >
> > I'm generally not fit to go in anywhere for food until I'm showered
> > and dressed in clean, dry, respectable clothes.
> >
> Depends on the place, number of cafes/pubs cater to the muddy boots crowds,
> ie walkers and cyclists so will not blink at any amount of mud splattering.
>
> As certainly on a harder ride one will need some sort of food. 20/30 miles
> is generally my limit before it’s wise though does depend on effort.
> >>>
> >> Seems a odd choice to take away the water stops, and would seem to
> >> encourage folks not to be outside which is generally better for keeping
> >> Covid at bay, had few places locally that did that with loos though have re
> >> opened after complaints both public and political.
> >
> > They were concerned about passing the bug. The water stops were big
> > jugs of ice. I think the new restroom is a responce to taking the
> > frozen water stops away. It'd be nice to see another one further up
> > the trail.
> To the best of my knowledge it’s air than touch and was clearly so fairly
> quickly on.
> >
> >> A lot of health and safety measures are cost in reality and simply a excuse
> >> given.
> >>
> >> Roger Merriman
> >>

> Roger Merriman
I think the most bottle ride I ever did was a hot century in July and I believe that would have been about 5 normal bottles. I cannot image only 45 miles and needing 5 bottles. Years of running marathons I learned to overload liquid before the start by far. If you get thirsty during a marathon it is too late you are cooking. I ran the Chicago Marathon in 1989 was 60 degree at start and in the end 13 miles out on Lake Shore Drive was well over 70. Way hot for marathon running. I managed at the time my slowest marathon in 3:23 minutes but looking back not horrible time. I slowed a bit at the end..

I weighed 179 pounds the day before the marathon. Getting home that night after the marathon on same scale I weighed 170 pounds. That included eating a huge meal after the race on the way home and tremendous amount of liquid. But then I was just a pup at 28 years old. Back in the days I could start out running 6 minute miles. Now I am down to walking 16 minute miles on a good day.
Deacon Mark

Re: First five water bottle ride of the year

<evo83idh93cmln9hm12ck2pl6ncsr7ncuh@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=79015&group=rec.bicycles.tech#79015

From: solo...@drafting.not (Catrike Rider)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2023 15:32:40 -0400
 by: Catrike Rider - Mon, 10 Apr 2023 19:32 UTC

On Mon, 10 Apr 2023 12:14:56 -0700 (PDT), Mark Cleary
<deaconmjc08@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Saturday, April 8, 2023 at 12:06:24?PM UTC-5, Roger Meriman wrote:
>> Catrike Rider <sol...@drafting.not> wrote:

>> > Yes, I still under hydrate. I'll have a Yeungling and a diet Dr.
>> > Pepper while I'm sitting on the tail gate ofvthe truck cooling down
>> > and quite a bit of iced tea when I get home.
>> If MTBing and using the car, I will on hot days leave a bottle of coke etc
>> to drink on my return though with the hydration pack I can stay more on
>> fluid though it’s generally higher intensity than Gravel rides which are
>> generally longer more mellow rides hence why a 20+ MTB ride will be equal
>> to a 70ish gravel ride.

>> > I'm generally not fit to go in anywhere for food until I'm showered
>> > and dressed in clean, dry, respectable clothes.
>> >
>> Depends on the place, number of cafes/pubs cater to the muddy boots crowds,
>> ie walkers and cyclists so will not blink at any amount of mud splattering.
>>
>> As certainly on a harder ride one will need some sort of food. 20/30 miles
>> is generally my limit before it’s wise though does depend on effort.

>> > They were concerned about passing the bug. The water stops were big
>> > jugs of ice. I think the new restroom is a responce to taking the
>> > frozen water stops away. It'd be nice to see another one further up
>> > the trail.
>> To the best of my knowledge it’s air than touch and was clearly so fairly
>> quickly on.

>> Roger Merriman
>I think the most bottle ride I ever did was a hot century in July and I believe that would have been about 5 normal bottles. I cannot image only 45 miles and needing 5 bottles. Years of running marathons I learned to overload liquid before the start by far. If you get thirsty during a marathon it is too late you are cooking. I ran the Chicago Marathon in 1989 was 60 degree at start and in the end 13 miles out on Lake Shore Drive was well over 70. Way hot for marathon running. I managed at the time my slowest marathon in 3:23 minutes but looking back not horrible time. I slowed a bit at the end.
>
>I weighed 179 pounds the day before the marathon. Getting home that night after the marathon on same scale I weighed 170 pounds. That included eating a huge meal after the race on the way home and tremendous amount of liquid. But then I was just a pup at 28 years old. Back in the days I could start out running 6 minute miles. Now I am down to walking 16 minute miles on a good day.
>Deacon Mark

It was 90+ degrees. I sweat a lot, thank goodness, or I wouldn't be
able to ride in that heat.

Re: First five water bottle ride of the year

<t3%YL.4390830$miq3.2764379@fx02.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=79026&group=rec.bicycles.tech#79026

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
From: rog...@sarlet.com (Roger Meriman)
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2023 21:19:21 GMT
 by: Roger Meriman - Mon, 10 Apr 2023 21:19 UTC

Catrike Rider <soloman@drafting.not> wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Apr 2023 12:14:56 -0700 (PDT), Mark Cleary
> <deaconmjc08@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> If MTBing and using the car, I will on hot days leave a bottle of coke etc
>>> to drink on my return though with the hydration pack I can stay more on
>>> fluid though it’s generally higher intensity than Gravel rides which are
>>> generally longer more mellow rides hence why a 20+ MTB ride will be equal
>>> to a 70ish gravel ride.

>>> Depends on the place, number of cafes/pubs cater to the muddy boots crowds,
>>> ie walkers and cyclists so will not blink at any amount of mud splattering.
>>>
>>> As certainly on a harder ride one will need some sort of food. 20/30 miles
>>> is generally my limit before it’s wise though does depend on effort.

>>> To the best of my knowledge it’s air than touch and was clearly so fairly
>>> quickly on.

>>> Roger Merriman
>> I think the most bottle ride I ever did was a hot century in July and I
>> believe that would have been about 5 normal bottles. I cannot image only
>> 45 miles and needing 5 bottles. Years of running marathons I learned to
>> overload liquid before the start by far. If you get thirsty during a
>> marathon it is too late you are cooking. I ran the Chicago Marathon in
>> 1989 was 60 degree at start and in the end 13 miles out on Lake Shore
>> Drive was well over 70. Way hot for marathon running. I managed at the
>> time my slowest marathon in 3:23 minutes but looking back not horrible
>> time. I slowed a bit at the end.
>>
>> I weighed 179 pounds the day before the marathon. Getting home that
>> night after the marathon on same scale I weighed 170 pounds. That
>> included eating a huge meal after the race on the way home and
>> tremendous amount of liquid. But then I was just a pup at 28 years old.
>> Back in the days I could start out running 6 minute miles. Now I am down
>> to walking 16 minute miles on a good day.
>> Deacon Mark
>
> It was 90+ degrees. I sweat a lot, thank goodness, or I wouldn't be
> able to ride in that heat.

I’d assume that various places would be hotter, though humidity and shade
makes difference.

During last summer was 40c/100f which is unusual.

Not pleasant to work in, though fine for bike rides etc.

I luckily was away in the Chanel islands during some of it, which have
quiet shaded roads so fairly comfortable for bike riding and exploring some
historical bits and bobs.

Roger Merriman