"The only way for a reporter to look at a politician is down." -- H. L. Mencken

tech / sci.math / Growing galaxies

SubjectAuthor
* Growing galaxiesmitchr...@gmail.com
`* Re: Growing galaxiesAlan Mackenzie
 `* Re: Growing galaxiesmitchr...@gmail.com
  `* Re: Growing galaxiesAlan Mackenzie
   `* Re: Growing galaxiesmitchr...@gmail.com
    `* Re: Growing galaxiesMichael Moroney
     `- Re: Growing galaxiesmitchr...@gmail.com

1
Growing galaxies

<b3466708-3716-4b80-8b09-e5ef7bcba701n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=79069&group=sci.math#79069

Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2021 17:49:59 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Growing galaxies
From: mitchrae...@gmail.com (mitchr...@gmail.com)
 by: mitchr...@gmail.com - Fri, 8 Oct 2021 00:49 UTC

show why the Moon would be getting further away.
Those expansions would be from the same universal order.

Re: Growing galaxies

<sjpadq$pf8$1@news.muc.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=79101&group=sci.math#79101

From: acm...@muc.de (Alan Mackenzie)
Newsgroups: sci.math
Subject: Re: Growing galaxies
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2021 11:35:22 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Alan Mackenzie - Fri, 8 Oct 2021 11:35 UTC

mitchr...@gmail.com <mitchrae3323@gmail.com> wrote:
> show why the Moon would be getting further away.
> Those expansions would be from the same universal order.

No, the Moon is getting further away because it is getting
gravitationally tugged by the Earth's ocean tides. By the same process,
the Earth's speed of rotation is slowing down.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).

Re: Growing galaxies

<7479fe17-0e42-40db-869e-276b40fcc31cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=79129&group=sci.math#79129

Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2021 11:34:52 -0700 (PDT)
From: mitchrae...@gmail.com (mitchr...@gmail.com)
 by: mitchr...@gmail.com - Fri, 8 Oct 2021 18:34 UTC

On Friday, October 8, 2021 at 4:35:28 AM UTC-7, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> mitchr...@gmail.com <mitchr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > show why the Moon would be getting further away.
> > Those expansions would be from the same universal order.
> No, the Moon is getting further away because it is getting
> gravitationally tugged by the Earth's ocean tides.

That is backward. If the Earth did it the Moon and it
would be getting closer by your tug.
How can a rising tide somewhere else in space
do gravitation to the Moon?

Mitchell Raemsch

> Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).

Re: Growing galaxies

<sjq54k$11mp$1@news.muc.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=79135&group=sci.math#79135

From: acm...@muc.de (Alan Mackenzie)
Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2021 19:11:16 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Alan Mackenzie - Fri, 8 Oct 2021 19:11 UTC

mitchr...@gmail.com <mitchrae3323@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Friday, October 8, 2021 at 4:35:28 AM UTC-7, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
>> mitchr...@gmail.com <mitchr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > show why the Moon would be getting further away.
>> > Those expansions would be from the same universal order.

>> No, the Moon is getting further away because it is getting
>> gravitationally tugged by the Earth's ocean tides.

> That is backward. If the Earth did it the Moon and it would be getting
> closer by your tug. How can a rising tide somewhere else in space do
> gravitation to the Moon?

Every massive body in space acts gravitationally on every other massive
body. That includes the Earth's oceans.

What happens is that as the Earth spins under the Moon, faster than the
Moon is orbiting, the tide, directly under the Moon (on both sides of the
Earth) bumps up against a land mass. This tide is then pushed slightly
ahead of under the Moon by the landmass. The tide's gravity is thus no
longer perpendicular to the Moon's orbit, but pulling slightly ahead of
it. This accelerates the Moon, albeit very slowly. The Moon, now moving
faster than the speed to keep it in its current orbit moves to a higher
orbit.

This outward movement of the Moon was measured in the 1970s by the
Apollo astronauts placing instruments on the Moon's surface that
reflected laser beams back to the Earth. The time for the beam to go up
and come down again was measured accurately over many years, leading to
the unmistakeable conclusion that the Moon was moving a small number of
centimetres (I can't remember the exact figure) per year away from the
Earth.

The limiting state of this process would be the Moon quite a bit further
out, and the Earth's day being the same length as a month. But the sun
is due to become a red giant, possibly engulfing the Earth, long before
this could happen.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).

Re: Growing galaxies

<6f655f3d-32e9-446a-a4b1-d722f54a1074n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=79149&group=sci.math#79149

Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2021 12:49:35 -0700 (PDT)
From: mitchrae...@gmail.com (mitchr...@gmail.com)
 by: mitchr...@gmail.com - Fri, 8 Oct 2021 19:49 UTC

On Friday, October 8, 2021 at 12:11:22 PM UTC-7, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> mitchr...@gmail.com <mitchr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> No, the Moon is getting further away because it is getting
> >> gravitationally tugged by the Earth's ocean tides.
>
> > That is backward. If the Earth did it the Moon and it would be getting
> > closer by your tug. How can a rising tide somewhere else in space do
> > gravitation to the Moon?
> Every massive body in space acts gravitationally on every other massive
> body. That includes the Earth's oceans.
>
> What happens is that as the Earth spins under the Moon, faster than the
> Moon is orbiting, the tide, directly under the Moon (on both sides of the
> Earth) bumps up against a land mass. This tide is then pushed slightly
> ahead of under the Moon by the landmass. The tide's gravity is thus no
> longer perpendicular to the Moon's orbit, but pulling slightly ahead of
> it. This accelerates the Moon, albeit very slowly. The Moon, now moving
> faster than the speed to keep it in its current orbit moves to a higher
> orbit.
>
> This outward movement of the Moon was measured in the 1970s by the
> Apollo astronauts placing instruments on the Moon's surface that
> reflected laser beams back to the Earth. The time for the beam to go up
> and come down again was measured accurately over many years, leading to
> the unmistakeable conclusion that the Moon was moving a small number of
> centimetres (I can't remember the exact figure) per year away from the
> Earth.
>
> The limiting state of this process would be the Moon quite a bit further
> out, and the Earth's day being the same length as a month. But the sun
> is due to become a red giant, possibly engulfing the Earth, long before
> this could happen.
>
> > Mitchell Raemsch
> --
> Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).

You are a nut. The tug would be opposite.
Your tug does not work.
There is separation instead.

Re: Growing galaxies

<sjqqpk$1or0$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=79173&group=sci.math#79173

From: moro...@world.std.spaamtrap.com (Michael Moroney)
Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2021 21:14:22 -0400
 by: Michael Moroney - Sat, 9 Oct 2021 01:14 UTC

On 10/8/2021 3:49 PM, mitchr...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Friday, October 8, 2021 at 12:11:22 PM UTC-7, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
>> mitchr...@gmail.com <mitchr...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> That is backward. If the Earth did it the Moon and it would be getting
>>> closer by your tug. How can a rising tide somewhere else in space do
>>> gravitation to the Moon?
>> Every massive body in space acts gravitationally on every other massive
>> body. That includes the Earth's oceans.
>>
>> What happens is that as the Earth spins under the Moon, faster than the
>> Moon is orbiting, the tide, directly under the Moon (on both sides of the
>> Earth) bumps up against a land mass. This tide is then pushed slightly
>> ahead of under the Moon by the landmass. The tide's gravity is thus no
>> longer perpendicular to the Moon's orbit, but pulling slightly ahead of
>> it. This accelerates the Moon, albeit very slowly. The Moon, now moving
>> faster than the speed to keep it in its current orbit moves to a higher
>> orbit.
>>
>> This outward movement of the Moon was measured in the 1970s by the
>> Apollo astronauts placing instruments on the Moon's surface that
>> reflected laser beams back to the Earth. The time for the beam to go up
>> and come down again was measured accurately over many years, leading to
>> the unmistakeable conclusion that the Moon was moving a small number of
>> centimetres (I can't remember the exact figure) per year away from the
>> Earth.
>>
>> The limiting state of this process would be the Moon quite a bit further
>> out, and the Earth's day being the same length as a month. But the sun
>> is due to become a red giant, possibly engulfing the Earth, long before
>> this could happen.
>>
>>> Mitchell Raemsch
>> --
>> Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).
>
> You are a nut. The tug would be opposite.
> Your tug does not work.
> There is separation instead.

Roy, the moon has been measured to be receding. The amount of recession
matches that predicted by Newtonian gravity with the tidal bulges
pulling the moon slightly forward faster in the process, causing it to
recede (about 3 cm/year if I remember) and slowing the earth's rotation
in the process.

There is a nice article on the orbit of the moon in Wikipedia, if you
ever get brave enough to read it.

BTW the same happened to the moon. Except that the earth's tidal
effects on the moon are much stronger than the moon's effect on earth,
plus the moon is much smaller, so the earth already slowed the moon down
so much that it always keeps the same side facing earth.

Re: Growing galaxies

<3f27df6d-4073-4586-a834-e1543777be64n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=79179&group=sci.math#79179

Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2021 19:47:44 -0700 (PDT)
From: mitchrae...@gmail.com (mitchr...@gmail.com)
 by: mitchr...@gmail.com - Sat, 9 Oct 2021 02:47 UTC

On Friday, October 8, 2021 at 6:20:58 PM UTC-7, Michael Moroney wrote:
> On 10/8/2021 3:49 PM, mitchr...@gmail.com wrote:

> >> Every massive body in space acts gravitationally on every other massive
> >> body. That includes the Earth's oceans.
> >>
> >> What happens is that as the Earth spins under the Moon, faster than the
> >> Moon is orbiting, the tide, directly under the Moon (on both sides of the
> >> Earth) bumps up against a land mass. This tide is then pushed slightly
> >> ahead of under the Moon by the landmass. The tide's gravity is thus no
> >> longer perpendicular to the Moon's orbit, but pulling slightly ahead of
> >> it. This accelerates the Moon, albeit very slowly. The Moon, now moving
> >> faster than the speed to keep it in its current orbit moves to a higher
> >> orbit.
> >>
> >> This outward movement of the Moon was measured in the 1970s by the
> >> Apollo astronauts placing instruments on the Moon's surface that
> >> reflected laser beams back to the Earth. The time for the beam to go up
> >> and come down again was measured accurately over many years, leading to
> >> the unmistakeable conclusion that the Moon was moving a small number of
> >> centimetres (I can't remember the exact figure) per year away from the
> >> Earth.
> >>
> >> The limiting state of this process would be the Moon quite a bit further
> >> out, and the Earth's day being the same length as a month. But the sun
> >> is due to become a red giant, possibly engulfing the Earth, long before
> >> this could happen.

> >> --
> >> Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).
> >
> > You are a nut. The tug would be opposite.
> > Your tug does not work.
> > There is separation instead.

If galaxies grow expansion carries the once fast
inner stars further out. Not a special kind of
material that has never been measured.
Dark matter should be with the Solar system's
atoms... why would it have a special space
order? What is the answer to why it is not
with the Earth's space?

Mitchell Raemsch