It is much easier to be critical than to be correct. -- Benjamin Disraeli

arts / alt.fan.heinlein / from Quora - The Voyager 2 is now over 12 billion miles away and still signaling!

SubjectAuthor
* from Quora - The Voyager 2 is now over 12 billion miles away anda425couple
`* Re: from Quora - The Voyager 2 is now over 12 billion miles away and still signacasagiannoni
 +- Re: from Quora - The Voyager 2 is now over 12 billion miles away andWhisper
 +- Re: from Quora - The Voyager 2 is now over 12 billion miles away and still signacasagiannoni
 `- Re: from Quora - The Voyager 2 is now over 12 billion miles away anda425couple

1
from Quora - The Voyager 2 is now over 12 billion miles away and still signaling!

<ygqNL.942985$gGD7.349829@fx11.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=795&group=alt.fan.heinlein#795

Newsgroups: alt.astronomy,alt.fan.heinlein
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Subject: from Quora - The Voyager 2 is now over 12 billion miles away and
still signaling!
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2023 10:27:41 -0800
 by: a425couple - Mon, 6 Mar 2023 18:27 UTC

Krister Sundelin
E-learning Producer (2020–present)Feb 16

The Voyager 2 is now over 12 billion miles away. Even at that distance,
does the signal still stand out like a lighthouse against the
background, or is it hard to pick out?
Hello, Mark Oglesby !

Q: The Voyager 2 is now over 12 billion miles away. Even at that
distance, does the signal still stand out like a lighthouse against the
background, or is it hard to pick out?

A: The radio operates at 23 watts. The radio antenna in your smartphone
typically uses 3 watts.

So to even be able to receive it, you need this:

And even then, Voyager has to send at 160 bits per second for that
antenna to receive the signal.

80.2K views
View 376 upvotes
View 4 shares
34 comments from
Aris Spanos
and more

Aris Spanos
So, does the signal still stand out like a lighthouse against the
background, or is it hard to pick out?

Tony Flury
23 W is minuscule, given the distance. The only way that the signal
stands any chance of being received is that :

They know where Voyager is and are constantly monitoring it.
They know what frequency it uses and how tightly bound that is.
They know the structure of the signal.
If it was a broadcast wide band radio signal and they had to start
searching the whole sky from scratch the search would take a long time.

If the broadcast was in visible light, then it would be utterly
invisible to the naked eye - even a 1000W lamp would be imperceptible at
the distance from Earth to Voyager. Thankfully radio receivers and
decent electronics are far better at picking up weak radio signals, than
our eyes are at picking up faint light sources.

Michael Wilkening
I doubt our feeble eyes could see a ten million watt light from that
distance.

César Del Solar
If all 10 million watts were aimed at the Earth, then maybe

Tami Stone
· Feb 20
Space communication nowadays doesn’t usually use a single carrier
transmitter, so there is no real ‘spike’ to stand out. It usually makes
digital changes in the noise floor to convey information. Think of
random little lumps and bumps periodically forming in a blanket spread
out over a vast area. That is how signals are sent and received,
completely different from a single channel radio carrier with a narrow
bandwidth and all its power concentrated from within.

John Shelly Thomas
The Voyager spacecraft also have high-gain antennas (“high-gain” in
comparison with a cell phone antenna).

I am not an engineer, but I do know enough about RF propagation to say
this: to receive a cell phone signal from that distance would require at
least 10 dB, probably more like 25 dB **additional** earthbound antenna
gain than the big dish in the picture.

Jim Lux
Way more than 25 dB. They use the 70m antennas for Voyager and it’s
X-band (8.42 GHz) - It’s a bit more than 74 dB gain.
The antenna on Voyager is 3.7m and has a gain of 48 dB.
The transmitter is book-kept at 40.9 dBm, which is more like 12 Watts. I
doubt they’re “backed off” 3 dB, but that’s from the carrier downlink
design control table on page 26 of the book that describes Voyager telecom.

Re: from Quora - The Voyager 2 is now over 12 billion miles away and still signaling!

<5gnc0id52lk3c22q3ak798idu66qqmg53e@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=797&group=alt.fan.heinlein#797

From: casagian...@optimum.net
Newsgroups: alt.astronomy,alt.fan.heinlein
Subject: Re: from Quora - The Voyager 2 is now over 12 billion miles away and still signaling!
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2023 16:47:38 -0500
 by: casagian...@optimum.net - Mon, 6 Mar 2023 21:47 UTC

Voyager is slower than light ( c ) by a factor of about 30,000 , so a
one way trip to our very nearest neighbor star would take about 120
millenia = 120,000 years !

Re: from Quora - The Voyager 2 is now over 12 billion miles away and still signaling!

<6407076e$1@news.ausics.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=798&group=alt.fan.heinlein#798

Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2023 20:44:15 +1100
still signaling!
Newsgroups: alt.astronomy,alt.fan.heinlein
From: whis...@ozemail.com.au (Whisper)
 by: Whisper - Tue, 7 Mar 2023 09:44 UTC

On 7/03/2023 8:47 am, casagiannoni@optimum.net wrote:

> Voyager is slower than light ( c ) by a factor of about 30,000 , so a
> one way trip to our very nearest neighbor star would take about 120
> millenia = 120,000 years !

Yes, amazing how people don't understand basic math.

Re: from Quora - The Voyager 2 is now over 12 billion miles away and still signaling!

<apue0i1vaniku0n03vgv6ahhn3huqnt0lh@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=799&group=alt.fan.heinlein#799

From: casagian...@optimum.net
Newsgroups: alt.astronomy,alt.fan.heinlein
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2023 13:04:10 -0500
 by: casagian...@optimum.net - Tue, 7 Mar 2023 18:04 UTC

>Voyager is slower than light ( c ) by a factor of about 30,000 , so a
>one way trip to our very nearest neighbor star would take about 120
>millenia = 120,000 years !

I suspect that my factor estimate of 30,000 should be higher, so trip
to nearest neighbor star would be longer.

Re: from Quora - The Voyager 2 is now over 12 billion miles away and still signaling!

<D4LNL.1044668$Tcw8.362042@fx10.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=800&group=alt.fan.heinlein#800

still signaling!
Newsgroups: alt.astronomy,alt.fan.heinlein
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2023 10:08:34 -0800
 by: a425couple - Tue, 7 Mar 2023 18:08 UTC

On 3/6/23 13:47, casagiannoni@optimum.net wrote:

> Voyager is slower than light ( c ) by a factor of about 30,000 , so a
> one way trip to our very nearest neighbor star would take about 120
> millenia = 120,000 years !

Yes.
But if we found a alien built item like "Voyager" visiting
from another solar system,
Would the importance of this discovery be very different
if it was 120,000 or 1.2 million years old?

No. The importance of this earth shaking discovery
would greatly change the way we viewed our human
existence on our planet.

Finding that there is intelligent life in the universe
other than us would change us.

Quit thinking there is nothing important beyond
the span of your own life.