Fundamentally, there may be no basis for anything.

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Re: Tis the time for the season for Centuries

SubjectAuthor
* Tis the time for the season for CenturiesTom Kunich
`* Re: Tis the time for the season for CenturiesWilliam Crowell
 +- Re: Tis the time for the season for CenturiesCatrike Rider
 +- Re: Tis the time for the season for Centuriessms
 `* Re: Tis the time for the season for CenturiesTom Kunich
  `* Re: Tis the time for the season for CenturiesCatrike Rider
   `* Re: Tis the time for the season for CenturiesJohn B.
    `* Re: Tis the time for the season for CenturiesCatrike Rider
     `* Re: Tis the time for the season for CenturiesRoger Meriman
      `* Re: Tis the time for the season for CenturiesCatrike Rider
       `* Re: Tis the time for the season for CenturiesJohn B.
        +* Re: Tis the time for the season for CenturiesRoger Meriman
        |`- Re: Tis the time for the season for CenturiesTom Kunich
        `- Re: Tis the time for the season for CenturiesFrank Krygowski

1
Tis the time for the season for Centuries

<be82c76f-b5be-4f20-8105-350611955664n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=79504&group=rec.bicycles.tech#79504

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2023 13:02:06 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Tis the time for the season for Centuries
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Sat, 15 Apr 2023 20:02 UTC

The Primavera is Sunday and the Tierra Bella the weekend after. My Moser is awaiting BB cups that will arrive Wednesday or Thursday. I installed all of the components on the frameset last evening and the outers will need a little shortening and then handlebar tape. The Cassette will come hopefully before the Tierra Bella and that will complete the present setup if my new Campy Calima wheels don't show up. The wider rims on those wheels should make the tires slightly less diameter which will help the clearance of the 25 mm tires. I have a Vuelta saddle on it presently but will change that for the San Marco Aspide when it comes in. I have some Italian colors handlebar tape but it isn't as if it matches the colors of the bike so I'll go up to the bike shop and pick up some black bar take and save the other for the Aliverti which has Italian flag highlights. I also have to get some water bottle cages. I like the plastic ones and particularly the nylon one's. And I have to get some bar tape for my wife's Mercian.

I took the Tomassini out today and had forgotten that the front tire needs some work on it to stop it from thumping. I'll have to determine if it is simply incorrectly mounted on the Shamal wheel or if it was damaged by being folded up for a long time. Someone said that those "new" hookless tubeless wheels are an utter failure and have been dumping pros all over the place. If Tubeless tires hadn't gotten so expensive lately I would probably put a set on those Shamals just so it wouldn't be such a pain in the butt to mount.

I'm also waiting for the correct size wrench so that I can adjust the headset on the Fondriest Status X. Origin 8 makes good headsets but the size of the large threaded headset adjuster is 37 mm I think. That is not a standard size so I ordered an old 36 and will grind it to size.

Before, the cups were not bedded in all of the way so the the locks would be tightened with a headset wrench and a crescent wrench. But after riding it for awhile the sealed bearings and the cup seated in to a position where the wrenches interfere with themselves and so they need narrow flat wrenches. When I'm up at the bike shop today I will ask if he has one of those sizes. Though he has a complete Campy tool kit so it probably contains a 37 mm.. But does he have one for sale?

Now that the Land Shark is shifting properly, I will take it out tomorrow. I have to get some miles for the upcoming centuries. My cop friend is coming up but the long route I take requires me to take BART and he doesn't want to ride on BART. He doesn't want to have to shoot anyone. That would cause endless problems for a cop in California. So I will do my ride tomorrow and then Tuesday we will have a nasty piece of work where I will be riding on a section of road that has just had all of the mud slides plowed off. So it is all hilly but not what I would consider a climb.

Re: Tis the time for the season for Centuries

<47f1a8ab-70b0-4d65-a3fe-aa108ac538f0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=79522&group=rec.bicycles.tech#79522

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2023 05:36:26 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Tis the time for the season for Centuries
From: retroguy...@gmail.com (William Crowell)
 by: William Crowell - Sun, 16 Apr 2023 12:36 UTC

On Saturday, April 15, 2023 at 1:02:07 PM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
> [...]
>
> Now that the Land Shark is shifting properly, I will take it out tomorrow.. I have to get some miles for the upcoming centuries. My cop friend is coming up but the long route I take requires me to take BART and he doesn't want to ride on BART. He doesn't want to have to shoot anyone. That would cause endless problems for a cop in California. So I will do my ride tomorrow and then Tuesday we will have a nasty piece of work where I will be riding on a section of road that has just had all of the mud slides plowed off. So it is all hilly but not what I would consider a climb.
Tom, don't you think the prices they are charging as entry fees for centuries these days have gotten out of hand? I would never do another century. Why would I pay the better part of $100 just to do a ride where I have to drive long distances from home? I just don't see where cycling clubs are bringing anything to the table with regard to centuries. I would so much rather do a ride from home.

Re: Tis the time for the season for Centuries

<5lsn3ila4eap86qt4teek09pg39pkeoo6j@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=79576&group=rec.bicycles.tech#79576

From: solo...@drafting.not (Catrike Rider)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2023 09:08:57 -0400
 by: Catrike Rider - Sun, 16 Apr 2023 13:08 UTC

On Sun, 16 Apr 2023 05:36:26 -0700 (PDT), William Crowell
<retroguybilly@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>Tom, don't you think the prices they are charging as entry fees for centuries these days have gotten out of hand? I would never do another century. Why would I pay the better part of $100 just to do a ride where I have to drive long distances from home? I just don't see where cycling clubs are bringing anything to the table with regard to centuries. I would so much rather do a ride from home.

Can't you just get on your bike and ride a hundred miles? That's what
I've done and I didn't have to listen to all the jibber-jabber of a
group ride.

Re: Tis the time for the season for Centuries

<u1h02u$2iqm0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=79584&group=rec.bicycles.tech#79584

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2023 07:18:03 -0700
 by: sms - Sun, 16 Apr 2023 14:18 UTC

On 4/16/2023 5:36 AM, William Crowell wrote:

<snip>

> Tom, don't you think the prices they are charging as entry fees for centuries these days have gotten out of hand? I would never do another century. Why would I pay the better part of $100 just to do a ride where I have to drive long distances from home? I just don't see where cycling clubs are bringing anything to the table with regard to centuries. I would so much rather do a ride from home.

When I was in a bike club, Western Wheelers, we did the Sequoia Century.
We ran it on a break-even basis, it was not a fund raiser. We
intentionally kept the price low. In 1983 it was $4-7
<http://www.westernwheelers.org/main/archive/FT/1983/May_1983.pdf> (use
ww for both user name and password). With inflation, it should now be
around $12-21. But now it's $95-135 and is explicitly a fund-raiser
<https://westernwheelersbicycleclub.wildapricot.org/event-5049764>.

Part of the increase, over the cost of inflation, is because of the much
higher cost of insurance and part of the increase is renting the venue
where the ride begins (used to be free, but now they often charge
clubs). But even with those increases it should not be as expensive as
it is.

--
“If you are not an expert on a subject, then your opinions about it
really do matter less than the opinions of experts. It's not

Re: Tis the time for the season for Centuries

<d48c7b85-0246-42f6-a630-bc3746c90aban@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=79586&group=rec.bicycles.tech#79586

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2023 07:20:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Sun, 16 Apr 2023 14:20 UTC

On Sunday, April 16, 2023 at 5:36:28 AM UTC-7, William Crowell wrote:
> [...]
> Tom, don't you think the prices they are charging as entry fees for centuries these days have gotten out of hand? I would never do another century. Why would I pay the better part of $100 just to do a ride where I have to drive long distances from home? I just don't see where cycling clubs are bringing anything to the table with regard to centuries. I would so much rather do a ride from home.

Because they mark courses for you in areas you don't know. They provide rest areas with food and water and a full meal afterwards. And many of these centuries like the Tour de Fuzz are in extremely scenic areas and away from traffic.

Re: Tis the time for the season for Centuries

<k13o3i56oasj8s6mlepjlbhouhe5k4f6et@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=79590&group=rec.bicycles.tech#79590

From: solo...@drafting.not (Catrike Rider)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2023 11:02:39 -0400
 by: Catrike Rider - Sun, 16 Apr 2023 15:02 UTC

On Sun, 16 Apr 2023 07:20:57 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
<cyclintom@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> Tom, don't you think the prices they are charging as entry fees for centuries these days have gotten out of hand? I would never do another century. Why would I pay the better part of $100 just to do a ride where I have to drive long distances from home? I just don't see where cycling clubs are bringing anything to the table with regard to centuries. I would so much rather do a ride from home.
>
>Because they mark courses for you in areas you don't know. They provide rest areas with food and water and a full meal afterwards. And many of these centuries like the Tour de Fuzz are in extremely scenic areas and away from traffic.

I can't even imagine the horror of doing a group ride. The
jibber-jabber during the ride would be bad enough, but then sitting
down to eat amongst the social small talk would drive me crazy. Of
course that's just extremely introverted me.

Re: Tis the time for the season for Centuries

<i1ds3ih5qkp1m8or40g0h4jdqjl34ud2ls@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=79691&group=rec.bicycles.tech#79691

From: slocom...@gmail.com (John B.)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2023 13:10:00 +0700
 by: John B. - Tue, 18 Apr 2023 06:10 UTC

On Sun, 16 Apr 2023 11:02:39 -0400, Catrike Rider
<soloman@drafting.not> wrote:

>On Sun, 16 Apr 2023 07:20:57 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
><cyclintom@gmail.com> wrote:

>>bar tape for my wife's Mercian.

>>> Tom, don't you think the prices they are charging as entry fees for centuries these days have gotten out of hand? I would never do another century. Why would I pay the better part of $100 just to do a ride where I have to drive long distances from home? I just don't see where cycling clubs are bringing anything to the table with regard to centuries. I would so much rather do a ride from home.
>>
>>Because they mark courses for you in areas you don't know. They provide rest areas with food and water and a full meal afterwards. And many of these centuries like the Tour de Fuzz are in extremely scenic areas and away from traffic.
>
>I can't even imagine the horror of doing a group ride. The
>jibber-jabber during the ride would be bad enough, but then sitting
>down to eat amongst the social small talk would drive me crazy. Of
>course that's just extremely introverted me.

But, but, but... how will people realize your vast skill and knowledge
if you don't participate in group events. Why there would be no one
there to applaud when you reach the finish
--
Cheers,

John B.

Re: Tis the time for the season for Centuries

<dgos3it12fjcbn3qtq7tgvc6q1950n18ik@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=79701&group=rec.bicycles.tech#79701

From: solo...@drafting.not (Catrike Rider)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2023 05:37:55 -0400
 by: Catrike Rider - Tue, 18 Apr 2023 09:37 UTC

On Tue, 18 Apr 2023 13:10:00 +0700, John B. <slocombjb@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Sun, 16 Apr 2023 11:02:39 -0400, Catrike Rider
><soloman@drafting.not> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 16 Apr 2023 07:20:57 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
>><cyclintom@gmail.com> wrote:

>>>bar tape for my wife's Mercian.

>>>Because they mark courses for you in areas you don't know. They provide rest areas with food and water and a full meal afterwards. And many of these centuries like the Tour de Fuzz are in extremely scenic areas and away from traffic.
>>
>>I can't even imagine the horror of doing a group ride. The
>>jibber-jabber during the ride would be bad enough, but then sitting
>>down to eat amongst the social small talk would drive me crazy. Of
>>course that's just extremely introverted me.
>
>But, but, but... how will people realize your vast skill and knowledge
>if you don't participate in group events. Why there would be no one
>there to applaud when you reach the finish

I know that some people need the participation trophies and back
slapping to prop up their self esteem. I don't. I ride for myself,
and I am there at the finish to applaud my accomplishment.

Re: Tis the time for the season for Centuries

<e5u%L.257867$l5R6.220137@fx15.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=79709&group=rec.bicycles.tech#79709

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
From: rog...@sarlet.com (Roger Meriman)
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2023 10:15:38 GMT
 by: Roger Meriman - Tue, 18 Apr 2023 10:15 UTC

Catrike Rider <soloman@drafting.not> wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Apr 2023 13:10:00 +0700, John B. <slocombjb@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 16 Apr 2023 11:02:39 -0400, Catrike Rider
>> <soloman@drafting.not> wrote:

>>> I can't even imagine the horror of doing a group ride. The
>>> jibber-jabber during the ride would be bad enough, but then sitting
>>> down to eat amongst the social small talk would drive me crazy. Of
>>> course that's just extremely introverted me.
>>
>> But, but, but... how will people realize your vast skill and knowledge
>> if you don't participate in group events. Why there would be no one
>> there to applaud when you reach the finish
>
> I know that some people need the participation trophies and back
> slapping to prop up their self esteem. I don't. I ride for myself,
> and I am there at the finish to applaud my accomplishment.

Most folks, though do like riding with others. I enjoy group rides it’s
often shorter distances and less tame than I’d normally choose as well I’m
a old MTBer at heart and they are roadies!

I tend to find such event hard work for other reasons but I get why folks
like them.

There are legitimate notes such as route will take into account the numbers
so narrow but nicer roads sometimes are by passed and all that.

Roger Merriman

Re: Tis the time for the season for Centuries

<5lrs3ilp0001slsv68el8tngp880pmu0kq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=79710&group=rec.bicycles.tech#79710

From: solo...@drafting.not (Catrike Rider)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2023 06:32:28 -0400
 by: Catrike Rider - Tue, 18 Apr 2023 10:32 UTC

On Tue, 18 Apr 2023 10:15:38 GMT, Roger Meriman <roger@sarlet.com>
wrote:

>Catrike Rider <soloman@drafting.not> wrote:
>> On Tue, 18 Apr 2023 13:10:00 +0700, John B. <slocombjb@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> But, but, but... how will people realize your vast skill and knowledge
>>> if you don't participate in group events. Why there would be no one
>>> there to applaud when you reach the finish
>>
>> I know that some people need the participation trophies and back
>> slapping to prop up their self esteem. I don't. I ride for myself,
>> and I am there at the finish to applaud my accomplishment.
>>
>Most folks, though do like riding with others.

I know. I do see a lot of group riding, but I don't think very much of
it involves the participation trophies or back slapping that the
biking clubs seem to engage in.

>I enjoy group rides it’s
>often shorter distances and less tame than I’d normally choose as well I’m
>a old MTBer at heart and they are roadies!

I've never done any real mountain biking. I spent a lot of time on
gravel, though, back in my two-wheel biking days.

>I tend to find such event hard work for other reasons but I get why folks
>like them.

Being a rather intense introvert, I'll never understand extrovert
behavior, although most of my friends and relatives are extroverts. I
respect their choices and they respect mine.

>There are legitimate notes such as route will take into account the numbers
>so narrow but nicer roads sometimes are by passed and all that.
>
>Roger Merriman

Re: Tis the time for the season for Centuries

<vivs3ili1vr8mqbl8k1f85j1qn7g4b3608@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=79723&group=rec.bicycles.tech#79723

From: slocom...@gmail.com (John B.)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2023 18:26:26 +0700
 by: John B. - Tue, 18 Apr 2023 11:26 UTC

On Tue, 18 Apr 2023 06:32:28 -0400, Catrike Rider
<soloman@drafting.not> wrote:

>On Tue, 18 Apr 2023 10:15:38 GMT, Roger Meriman <roger@sarlet.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Catrike Rider <soloman@drafting.not> wrote:

>>> I know that some people need the participation trophies and back
>>> slapping to prop up their self esteem. I don't. I ride for myself,
>>> and I am there at the finish to applaud my accomplishment.
>>>
>>Most folks, though do like riding with others.
>
>I know. I do see a lot of group riding, but I don't think very much of
>it involves the participation trophies or back slapping that the
>biking clubs seem to engage in.
>
>>I enjoy group rides it’s
>>often shorter distances and less tame than I’d normally choose as well I’m
>>a old MTBer at heart and they are roadies!
>
>I've never done any real mountain biking. I spent a lot of time on
>gravel, though, back in my two-wheel biking days.
>
>>I tend to find such event hard work for other reasons but I get why folks
>>like them.
>
>Being a rather intense introvert, I'll never understand extrovert
>behavior, although most of my friends and relatives are extroverts. I
>respect their choices and they respect mine.
>
>>There are legitimate notes such as route will take into account the numbers
>>so narrow but nicer roads sometimes are by passed and all that.
>>
>>Roger Merriman

Disregarding the extr and intr why can't a bloke just do what he wants
to do. If I want to ride alone or with a mob that is my business.

As for "courses for you in areas you don't know"? Don't you have maps
or charts back there in America and as for the comment, "They
provide rest areas with food and water and a full meal afterwards."
Really? they move in a portable restaurant and a big water tank? Or
you just stop at a roadside restaurant? Which I might add, you can do
all by your self.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Re: Tis the time for the season for Centuries

<5hz%L.4581746$miq3.3034659@fx02.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=79750&group=rec.bicycles.tech#79750

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
From: rog...@sarlet.com (Roger Meriman)
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2023 16:09:37 GMT
 by: Roger Meriman - Tue, 18 Apr 2023 16:09 UTC

John B. <slocombjb@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Apr 2023 06:32:28 -0400, Catrike Rider
> <soloman@drafting.not> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 18 Apr 2023 10:15:38 GMT, Roger Meriman <roger@sarlet.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Most folks, though do like riding with others.
>>
>> I know. I do see a lot of group riding, but I don't think very much of
>> it involves the participation trophies or back slapping that the
>> biking clubs seem to engage in.
>>
>>> I enjoy group rides it’s
>>> often shorter distances and less tame than I’d normally choose as well I’m
>>> a old MTBer at heart and they are roadies!
>>
>> I've never done any real mountain biking. I spent a lot of time on
>> gravel, though, back in my two-wheel biking days.
>>
>>> I tend to find such event hard work for other reasons but I get why folks
>>> like them.
>>
>> Being a rather intense introvert, I'll never understand extrovert
>> behavior, although most of my friends and relatives are extroverts. I
>> respect their choices and they respect mine.
>>
>>> There are legitimate notes such as route will take into account the numbers
>>> so narrow but nicer roads sometimes are by passed and all that.
>>>
>>> Roger Merriman
>

> Disregarding the extr and intr why can't a bloke just do what he wants
> to do. If I want to ride alone or with a mob that is my business.
>
> As for "courses for you in areas you don't know"? Don't you have maps
> or charts back there in America and as for the comment, "They
> provide rest areas with food and water and a full meal afterwards."
> Really? they move in a portable restaurant and a big water tank? Or
> you just stop at a roadside restaurant? Which I might add, you can do
> all by your self.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Tis the time for the season for Centuries

<u1mg0d$3jo2p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=79751&group=rec.bicycles.tech#79751

From: frkry...@sbcglobal.net (Frank Krygowski)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2023 12:20:26 -0400
 by: Frank Krygowski - Tue, 18 Apr 2023 16:20 UTC

On 4/18/2023 7:26 AM, John B. wrote, regarding organized century rides:

> As for "courses for you in areas you don't know"? Don't you have maps
> or charts back there in America and as for the comment, "They
> provide rest areas with food and water and a full meal afterwards."
> Really? they move in a portable restaurant and a big water tank? Or
> you just stop at a roadside restaurant? Which I might add, you can do
> all by your self.

Of course a person can find one's own routes, choose one's own rest
stops and food stops, etc. Most of my riding is done that way and almost
every multi-day bike tour I've done has been done that way. But as in
most human endeavors, there's benefit to using information learned by
others. For many of my tours, I chose at least some roads by reference
to bicycle maps. Why _not_ use information that's available?

More specifically about centuries: For seven or eight years I ran our
club's invitational century ride. The NorthEast Ohio Century (NEOC) uses
many rural roads that are farther away than my normal riding territory,
so friends of mine volunteered each year to help me check out new roads
to vary the route. We tried to find small scale roads with good
surfaces, interesting scenery and generally low traffic. We tried to
arrange the route so we had reserved spots for restrooms, snacks or
lunch close to 25, 50 and 75 miles, plus of course the start/finish. We
marked the route with pavement markings and provided maps. We provided
"sag service" with mechanically competent drivers cruising the route and
responding to phone calls for assistance with flats or other problems,
including people quitting because of fatigue. We provided a nice lunch,
and club members made our century locally famous by baking hundreds of
homemade cookies.

For some people, none of the above is valuable. But lots of people
actually enjoy seeing new, carefully chosen territory. They enjoy
socializing with others, checking out others' bike choices and making
new friends. Around 1990, IIRC it was valuable enough that 630 people
attended from multiple states, and gave us good enough reviews that we
were labeled one of the top three century rides in the U.S.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Re: Tis the time for the season for Centuries

<d21ec126-b5d9-423f-b31a-d1a223911b6fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=79784&group=rec.bicycles.tech#79784

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2023 16:27:34 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Tue, 18 Apr 2023 23:27 UTC

On Tuesday, April 18, 2023 at 9:09:40 AM UTC-7, Roger Meriman wrote:
> John B. <sloc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, 18 Apr 2023 06:32:28 -0400, Catrike Rider
> > <sol...@drafting.not> wrote:

> >> I know. I do see a lot of group riding, but I don't think very much of
> >> it involves the participation trophies or back slapping that the
> >> biking clubs seem to engage in.

> >> I've never done any real mountain biking. I spent a lot of time on
> >> gravel, though, back in my two-wheel biking days.

> >> Being a rather intense introvert, I'll never understand extrovert
> >> behavior, although most of my friends and relatives are extroverts. I
> >> respect their choices and they respect mine.

> > Disregarding the extr and intr why can't a bloke just do what he wants
> > to do. If I want to ride alone or with a mob that is my business.
> >
> > As for "courses for you in areas you don't know"? Don't you have maps
> > or charts back there in America and as for the comment, "They
> > provide rest areas with food and water and a full meal afterwards."
> > Really? they move in a portable restaurant and a big water tank? Or
> > you just stop at a roadside restaurant? Which I might add, you can do
> > all by your self.
> Well I think that was noted after all most folks will ride solo at some
> point, I mostly do.
>
> It’s more noting that folks will have all sorts of reasons for doing group
> rides or events. Ie not just competition for some it is others it is not.
>
> For example Gravel Races, at the pointy end yes folks are after a good
> time, at the end it’s about having a good time with friends etc, don’t have
> many in uk though have a few or close enough such as Battle on the Beach
> which is well Beach and single track loop.
>
> Roger Merriman
John doesn't ride and certainly not in a group so like everything else on the group it is purely theoretical to him

Click here to read the complete article