Two wrights don't make a rong, they make an airplane. Or bicycles.

tech / sci.astro.amateur / Re: This is why you buy TEC, Takahashi, AP or CFF instead

SubjectAuthor
* Re: This is why you buy TEC, Takahashi, AP or CFF insteadChris L Peterson
+* Re: This is why you buy TEC, Takahashi, AP or CFF insteadQuadibloc
|`- Re: This is why you buy TEC, Takahashi, AP or CFF insteadChris L Peterson
+- Re: This is why you buy TEC, Takahashi, AP or CFF insteadMartin Brown
`- Re: This is why you buy TEC, Takahashi, AP or CFF insteadfred k. engels®

1
Re: This is why you buy TEC, Takahashi, AP or CFF instead

<o3de4hdhpslipg8bd1adbuvglakr460itp@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7948&group=sci.astro.amateur#7948

From: clp...@alumni.caltech.edu (Chris L Peterson)
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Subject: Re: This is why you buy TEC, Takahashi, AP or CFF instead
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2022 11:22:10 -0600
 by: Chris L Peterson - Fri, 1 Apr 2022 17:22 UTC

On Mon, 28 Mar 2022 15:42:14 -0700 (PDT), RichA <rander3128@gmail.com>
wrote:

>About a $3300 loss on this scope. I've seen people selling the six inch
>Chinese Esprit scopes and being hit with $4000 losses. TeleVue scopes don't hold value and neither in most cases do the Chinese "high-end" scopes.
>The American and European and Takahashi high-end refractors fare better on resale in most cases.
>
>https://www.cloudynights.com/classifieds/item/291342-tele-vue-np127is-nagler-petzval-apo-refractor-with-many-imaging-accessories/

What I buy is based on specs and price and intended use. Not on any
possible future retail value.

Re: This is why you buy TEC, Takahashi, AP or CFF instead

<75cdcfb2-e010-41f4-a76d-30dd2d4329b0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7949&group=sci.astro.amateur#7949

Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2022 10:43:40 -0700 (PDT)
From: jsav...@ecn.ab.ca (Quadibloc)
 by: Quadibloc - Fri, 1 Apr 2022 17:43 UTC

On Friday, April 1, 2022 at 11:22:14 AM UTC-6, Chris L Peterson wrote:

> What I buy is based on specs and price and intended use. Not on any
> possible future retail value.

It's true that resale value is... uncertain. However, resale value does
affect the _effective_ price of a telescope if, while you are enjoying
that scope, you are also saving your money to eventually buy an
even bigger one to sate your aperture fever. Being able to realize some
cash from selling your old 'scope helps.

Which _is_ a common pattern for many amateur astronomers, even
if _you_ are above that sort of thing.

John Savard

Re: This is why you buy TEC, Takahashi, AP or CFF instead

<t27hmv$2sr$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7953&group=sci.astro.amateur#7953

From: '''newsp...@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2022 19:53:17 +0100
 by: Martin Brown - Fri, 1 Apr 2022 18:53 UTC

On 01/04/2022 18:22, Chris L Peterson wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Mar 2022 15:42:14 -0700 (PDT), RichA <rander3128@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> About a $3300 loss on this scope. I've seen people selling the six inch
>> Chinese Esprit scopes and being hit with $4000 losses. TeleVue scopes don't hold value and neither in most cases do the Chinese "high-end" scopes.
>> The American and European and Takahashi high-end refractors fare better on resale in most cases.
>>
>> https://www.cloudynights.com/classifieds/item/291342-tele-vue-np127is-nagler-petzval-apo-refractor-with-many-imaging-accessories/
>
> What I buy is based on specs and price and intended use. Not on any
> possible future retail value.

But you must surely remember "the good old days" when AP list scalpers
would be selling their new pristine as new instruments online pretty
much the day after they were delivered and at a considerable premium.

They were very much speculative instruments for the patient
buyer/scalper to exploit the impatient US impulse buyer.

https://groups.google.com/g/sci.astro.amateur/c/rJmySwq5Jhg/m/Y7U4QQySAQAJ

They still hold their value better than most.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Re: This is why you buy TEC, Takahashi, AP or CFF instead

<eoje4hlvkcbpbb696bulnt8q8unc0dpoqh@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7954&group=sci.astro.amateur#7954

From: clp...@alumni.caltech.edu (Chris L Peterson)
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2022 13:15:56 -0600
 by: Chris L Peterson - Fri, 1 Apr 2022 19:15 UTC

On Fri, 1 Apr 2022 10:43:40 -0700 (PDT), Quadibloc <jsavard@ecn.ab.ca>
wrote:

>On Friday, April 1, 2022 at 11:22:14 AM UTC-6, Chris L Peterson wrote:
>
>> What I buy is based on specs and price and intended use. Not on any
>> possible future retail value.
>
>It's true that resale value is... uncertain. However, resale value does
>affect the _effective_ price of a telescope if, while you are enjoying
>that scope, you are also saving your money to eventually buy an
>even bigger one to sate your aperture fever. Being able to realize some
>cash from selling your old 'scope helps.
>
>Which _is_ a common pattern for many amateur astronomers, even
>if _you_ are above that sort of thing.

Above? Not the word I'd use. Just pointing out that my decision making
process in buying things doesn't factor in resale. In part, perhaps,
because I've never really sold anything that I bought. I don't care if
other people do, though.

Re: This is why you buy TEC, Takahashi, AP or CFF instead

<t2mq15$1crk$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7998&group=sci.astro.amateur#7998

From: burynulP...@ppllaanneett.nnll (fred k. engels®)
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2022 06:47:14 -0700
 by: fred k. engels® - Thu, 7 Apr 2022 13:47 UTC

Prime Minister Justin Blackface just tweeted
So, How's that pretty picture astro photography horseshit® working out for
ya?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPn00-eHjYI

The Russcom just launched a massive new spy satellite into orbit!!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EoAHdwGBvU