Rocksolid Light

Welcome to novaBBS (click a section below)

mail  files  register  nodelist  faq  login

It is the wisdom of crocodiles, that shed tears when they would devour. -- Francis Bacon


tech / sci.electronics.repair / Re: LCR/ESR meter

SubjectAuthor
* LCR/ESR meterwmartin
+* Re: LCR/ESR meterTrevor Wilson
|`* Re: LCR/ESR meterwmartin
| +* Re: LCR/ESR meterJohn Robertson
| |`* Re: LCR/ESR meterwmartin
| | `* Re: LCR/ESR meterClifford Heath
| |  `- Re: LCR/ESR meteramdx
| `* Re: LCR/ESR meterTrevor Wilson
|  `* Re: LCR/ESR meterwmartin
|   `- Re: LCR/ESR meterTrevor Wilson
`* Re: LCR/ESR meterPhil Hobbs
 `* Re: LCR/ESR meterTrevor Wilson
  `- Re: LCR/ESR meterPhil Hobbs

1
Subject: LCR/ESR meter
From: wmartin
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Organization: A noiseless patient Spider
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 16:47 UTC
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!eternal-september.org!reader02.eternal-september.org!.POSTED!not-for-mail
From: wwm...@wwmartin.net (wmartin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Subject: LCR/ESR meter
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 09:47:11 -0700
Organization: A noiseless patient Spider
Lines: 5
Message-ID: <t5omeh$l9v$1@dont-email.me>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Injection-Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 16:47:13 -0000 (UTC)
Injection-Info: reader02.eternal-september.org; posting-host="91699bef8b8b59ae9b4036bccff47b23";
logging-data="21823"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@eternal-september.org"; posting-account="U2FsdGVkX1+gqFBulHXZf9mgtqq/RBp6QMkAcLlwxh4="
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20100101
Thunderbird/91.8.1
Cancel-Lock: sha1:ASf9u9XRr4gfoeEvwXsnpAVCV+Y=
Content-Language: en-US
View all headers
Just a quick request: Anyone have experience with "Smart Tweezers" from Syborg Systems line of ESR meters? Looking for something basic to check components.
Thanks,
Bill


Subject: Re: LCR/ESR meter
From: Trevor Wilson
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Date: Sun, 15 May 2022 23:26 UTC
References: 1
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!aioe.org!news.uzoreto.com!fu-berlin.de!uni-berlin.de!individual.net!not-for-mail
From: tre...@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Subject: Re: LCR/ESR meter
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 09:26:46 +1000
Lines: 12
Message-ID: <jedghkFii3eU1@mid.individual.net>
References: <t5omeh$l9v$1@dont-email.me>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-Trace: individual.net dzwenA0ryXM79Bn6ksBu0AOAEOYbXfWFrZddkpXz8dCBDWtAMD
Cancel-Lock: sha1:c72VPtkEgd6oqH0tgl1/WXlGSCE=
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20100101
Thunderbird/91.9.0
Content-Language: en-US
In-Reply-To: <t5omeh$l9v$1@dont-email.me>
View all headers
On 15/05/2022 2:47 am, wmartin wrote:
Just a quick request: Anyone have experience with "Smart Tweezers" from Syborg Systems line of ESR meters? Looking for something basic to check components.
Thanks,
Bill

**I use one of these:

https://www.peakelec.co.uk/acatalog/esr70-capacitor-esr-meter.html

Works extremely well, though there are cheaper options.


Subject: Re: LCR/ESR meter
From: wmartin
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Organization: A noiseless patient Spider
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 00:58 UTC
References: 1 2
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!eternal-september.org!reader02.eternal-september.org!.POSTED!not-for-mail
From: wwm...@wwmartin.net (wmartin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Subject: Re: LCR/ESR meter
Date: Sun, 15 May 2022 17:58:50 -0700
Organization: A noiseless patient Spider
Lines: 17
Message-ID: <t5s7kc$s5s$1@dont-email.me>
References: <t5omeh$l9v$1@dont-email.me> <jedghkFii3eU1@mid.individual.net>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Injection-Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 00:58:52 -0000 (UTC)
Injection-Info: reader02.eternal-september.org; posting-host="b5315fac96fc166cbe64db81cea4eced";
logging-data="28860"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@eternal-september.org"; posting-account="U2FsdGVkX1/TSuqoQTkwkKm7Ygyv8JMkM8E+8sxeXSc="
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20100101
Thunderbird/91.8.1
Cancel-Lock: sha1:wBljbMXpQJCFZMmp0NvCaUTNKPw=
In-Reply-To: <jedghkFii3eU1@mid.individual.net>
Content-Language: en-US
View all headers
On 5/15/22 16:26, Trevor Wilson wrote:
On 15/05/2022 2:47 am, wmartin wrote:
Just a quick request: Anyone have experience with "Smart Tweezers" from Syborg Systems line of ESR meters? Looking for something basic to check components.
Thanks,
Bill

**I use one of these:

https://www.peakelec.co.uk/acatalog/esr70-capacitor-esr-meter.html

Works extremely well, though there are cheaper options.

Thanks, that's interesting. I see they have other gear, will have look at those. Anyone selling in USA?
Bill


Subject: Re: LCR/ESR meter
From: John Robertson
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 01:19 UTC
References: 1 2 3
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!weretis.net!feeder6.news.weretis.net!news.misty.com!border2.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!buffer2.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!buffer1.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!news.giganews.com.POSTED!not-for-mail
NNTP-Posting-Date: Sun, 15 May 2022 20:19:16 -0500
Date: Sun, 15 May 2022 18:19:16 -0700
MIME-Version: 1.0
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.14; rv:91.0)
Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/91.8.1
Reply-To: spam@flippers.com
Subject: Re: LCR/ESR meter
Content-Language: en-US
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
References: <t5omeh$l9v$1@dont-email.me> <jedghkFii3eU1@mid.individual.net>
<t5s7kc$s5s$1@dont-email.me>
From: spa...@flippers.com (John Robertson)
In-Reply-To: <t5s7kc$s5s$1@dont-email.me>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Message-ID: <pKOdnTublpoJOxz_nZ2dnUU7-V2dnZ2d@giganews.com>
Lines: 32
X-Usenet-Provider: http://www.giganews.com
X-Trace: sv3-A8aelIQAVTBIIvm6e5Qessz1MFFdQ16CNNoBlZNEin79v592lXCo+OsbSGLKGzr5/XkFrh6Ys5rnmwG!3tqDU+iA0ZAmhyuIze5R+BRL/IdK966jYtZE51XVoZ5vZPXYjS/sHkRXmlSf7daaIYiAYQRtFg==
X-Complaints-To: abuse@giganews.com
X-DMCA-Notifications: http://www.giganews.com/info/dmca.html
X-Abuse-and-DMCA-Info: Please be sure to forward a copy of ALL headers
X-Abuse-and-DMCA-Info: Otherwise we will be unable to process your complaint properly
X-Postfilter: 1.3.40
X-Original-Bytes: 2347
View all headers
On 2022/05/15 5:58 p.m., wmartin wrote:
On 5/15/22 16:26, Trevor Wilson wrote:
On 15/05/2022 2:47 am, wmartin wrote:
Just a quick request: Anyone have experience with "Smart Tweezers" from Syborg Systems line of ESR meters? Looking for something basic to check components.
Thanks,
Bill

**I use one of these:

https://www.peakelec.co.uk/acatalog/esr70-capacitor-esr-meter.html

Works extremely well, though there are cheaper options.

Thanks, that's interesting. I see they have other gear, will have look at those. Anyone selling in USA?
Bill

There is always the Bob Parker design that we sell here in Canada...

https://flippers.com/catalog_oc/blue-esr-meter-kit-p-2.html

John :-#)#

--
(Please post followups or tech inquiries to the USENET newsgroup)
                      John's Jukes Ltd.
MOVED to #7 - 3979 Marine Way, Burnaby, BC, Canada V5J 5E3
          (604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
                      www.flippers.com
        "Old pinballers never die, they just flip out."


Subject: Re: LCR/ESR meter
From: wmartin
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Organization: A noiseless patient Spider
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 03:04 UTC
References: 1 2 3 4
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!eternal-september.org!reader02.eternal-september.org!.POSTED!not-for-mail
From: wwm...@wwmartin.net (wmartin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Subject: Re: LCR/ESR meter
Date: Sun, 15 May 2022 20:04:05 -0700
Organization: A noiseless patient Spider
Lines: 28
Message-ID: <t5sev7$56e$1@dont-email.me>
References: <t5omeh$l9v$1@dont-email.me> <jedghkFii3eU1@mid.individual.net>
<t5s7kc$s5s$1@dont-email.me> <pKOdnTublpoJOxz_nZ2dnUU7-V2dnZ2d@giganews.com>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Injection-Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 03:04:07 -0000 (UTC)
Injection-Info: reader02.eternal-september.org; posting-host="b5315fac96fc166cbe64db81cea4eced";
logging-data="5326"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@eternal-september.org"; posting-account="U2FsdGVkX19/SbK33sKbGOB/P4oiTYEnCqztDxVfXEk="
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20100101
Thunderbird/91.8.1
Cancel-Lock: sha1:vNrUUtfiWkqsoDgyMk/D1rhAwIM=
In-Reply-To: <pKOdnTublpoJOxz_nZ2dnUU7-V2dnZ2d@giganews.com>
Content-Language: en-US
View all headers
On 5/15/22 18:19, John Robertson wrote:
On 2022/05/15 5:58 p.m., wmartin wrote:
On 5/15/22 16:26, Trevor Wilson wrote:
On 15/05/2022 2:47 am, wmartin wrote:
Just a quick request: Anyone have experience with "Smart Tweezers" from Syborg Systems line of ESR meters? Looking for something basic to check components.
Thanks,
Bill

**I use one of these:

https://www.peakelec.co.uk/acatalog/esr70-capacitor-esr-meter.html

Works extremely well, though there are cheaper options.

Thanks, that's interesting. I see they have other gear, will have look at those. Anyone selling in USA?
Bill

There is always the Bob Parker design that we sell here in Canada...

https://flippers.com/catalog_oc/blue-esr-meter-kit-p-2.html

John :-#)#

Noted. Thank you.



Subject: Re: LCR/ESR meter
From: Trevor Wilson
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 05:18 UTC
References: 1 2 3
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!weretis.net!feeder8.news.weretis.net!news.mixmin.net!news2.arglkargh.de!news.karotte.org!fu-berlin.de!uni-berlin.de!individual.net!not-for-mail
From: tre...@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Subject: Re: LCR/ESR meter
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 15:18:32 +1000
Lines: 29
Message-ID: <jee55bFm4o9U1@mid.individual.net>
References: <t5omeh$l9v$1@dont-email.me> <jedghkFii3eU1@mid.individual.net>
<t5s7kc$s5s$1@dont-email.me>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-Trace: individual.net BIWHZGsqrM0ElGhsp8xGcQBURQ2F7Ue0MI9ASIWpCemolBoKt5
Cancel-Lock: sha1:Ulau2upFGtyHL3b6aOY6z3RWlHs=
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20100101
Thunderbird/91.9.0
Content-Language: en-US
In-Reply-To: <t5s7kc$s5s$1@dont-email.me>
View all headers
On 16/05/2022 10:58 am, wmartin wrote:
On 5/15/22 16:26, Trevor Wilson wrote:
On 15/05/2022 2:47 am, wmartin wrote:
Just a quick request: Anyone have experience with "Smart Tweezers" from Syborg Systems line of ESR meters? Looking for something basic to check components.
Thanks,
Bill

**I use one of these:

https://www.peakelec.co.uk/acatalog/esr70-capacitor-esr-meter.html

Works extremely well, though there are cheaper options.

Thanks, that's interesting. I see they have other gear, will have look at those. Anyone selling in USA?
Bill

**Of course:

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/peak-electronic-design-limited/ESR70/9687220

I also have one of these:

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/peak-electronic-design-limited/DCA75/9687216

Even more impressive, IMO.



Subject: Re: LCR/ESR meter
From: Clifford Heath
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Organization: theCubeNet - www.thecubenet.com
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 07:23 UTC
References: 1 2 3 4 5
Subject: Re: LCR/ESR meter
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
References: <t5omeh$l9v$1@dont-email.me> <jedghkFii3eU1@mid.individual.net> <t5s7kc$s5s$1@dont-email.me> <pKOdnTublpoJOxz_nZ2dnUU7-V2dnZ2d@giganews.com> <t5sev7$56e$1@dont-email.me>
From: no.s...@please.net (Clifford Heath)
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 17:23:45 +1000
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:68.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/68.10.0
MIME-Version: 1.0
In-Reply-To: <t5sev7$56e$1@dont-email.me>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8; format=flowed
Content-Language: en-US
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Lines: 38
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!weretis.net!feeder6.news.weretis.net!news.misty.com!border2.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!feeder.usenetexpress.com!tr1.iad1.usenetexpress.com!news.thecubenet.com!not-for-mail
NNTP-Posting-Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 07:23:47 +0000
X-Received-Bytes: 1896
X-Complaints-To: abuse@thecubenet.com
Organization: theCubeNet - www.thecubenet.com
Message-ID: <16ef8500f07ba018$1$3736274$24dd2e6e@news.thecubenet.com>
View all headers
On 16/5/22 1:04 pm, wmartin wrote:
On 5/15/22 18:19, John Robertson wrote:
On 2022/05/15 5:58 p.m., wmartin wrote:
On 5/15/22 16:26, Trevor Wilson wrote:
On 15/05/2022 2:47 am, wmartin wrote:
Just a quick request: Anyone have experience with "Smart Tweezers" from Syborg Systems line of ESR meters? Looking for something basic to check components.
Thanks,
Bill

**I use one of these:

https://www.peakelec.co.uk/acatalog/esr70-capacitor-esr-meter.html

Works extremely well, though there are cheaper options.

Thanks, that's interesting. I see they have other gear, will have look at those. Anyone selling in USA?
Bill

There is always the Bob Parker design that we sell here in Canada...

https://flippers.com/catalog_oc/blue-esr-meter-kit-p-2.html

John :-#)#

Noted. Thank you.

I built one of those, and it's fun, but the DE-5000 is quite a lot better. It gives you more choice of measurement frequencies and can support a wider impedance range. Find it on EBay.

Peak make nice things. I have one of their 3-terminal component identifier/testers, excellent for figuring out what something s and getting rough measurements.

Clifford Heath


Subject: Re: LCR/ESR meter
From: wmartin
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Organization: A noiseless patient Spider
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 02:38 UTC
References: 1 2 3 4
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!eternal-september.org!reader02.eternal-september.org!.POSTED!not-for-mail
From: wwm...@wwmartin.net (wmartin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Subject: Re: LCR/ESR meter
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 19:38:13 -0700
Organization: A noiseless patient Spider
Lines: 34
Message-ID: <t5v1qn$pcb$1@dont-email.me>
References: <t5omeh$l9v$1@dont-email.me> <jedghkFii3eU1@mid.individual.net>
<t5s7kc$s5s$1@dont-email.me> <jee55bFm4o9U1@mid.individual.net>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Injection-Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 02:38:16 -0000 (UTC)
Injection-Info: reader02.eternal-september.org; posting-host="95ef63f4e166801fd1a700a3673a21d4";
logging-data="25995"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@eternal-september.org"; posting-account="U2FsdGVkX19D+cdQPHA/opp51WRtIMYU8wj68yRXZoE="
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20100101
Thunderbird/91.8.1
Cancel-Lock: sha1:2Mzr4FBA9DhqoW7PpX4ddCsmcXs=
In-Reply-To: <jee55bFm4o9U1@mid.individual.net>
Content-Language: en-US
View all headers
On 5/15/22 22:18, Trevor Wilson wrote:
On 16/05/2022 10:58 am, wmartin wrote:
On 5/15/22 16:26, Trevor Wilson wrote:
On 15/05/2022 2:47 am, wmartin wrote:
Just a quick request: Anyone have experience with "Smart Tweezers" from Syborg Systems line of ESR meters? Looking for something basic to check components.
Thanks,
Bill

**I use one of these:

https://www.peakelec.co.uk/acatalog/esr70-capacitor-esr-meter.html

Works extremely well, though there are cheaper options.

Thanks, that's interesting. I see they have other gear, will have look at those. Anyone selling in USA?
Bill

**Of course:

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/peak-electronic-design-limited/ESR70/9687220 I also have one of these:

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/peak-electronic-design-limited/DCA75/9687216 Even more impressive, IMO.

Looks like they are "phantom-ware" at the moment, neither instrument is in stock or even back-order able! Another supply chain casualty I suppose.


Subject: Re: LCR/ESR meter
From: Trevor Wilson
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 03:28 UTC
References: 1 2 3 4 5
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!weretis.net!feeder8.news.weretis.net!news.mixmin.net!news2.arglkargh.de!news.karotte.org!fu-berlin.de!uni-berlin.de!individual.net!not-for-mail
From: tre...@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Subject: Re: LCR/ESR meter
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 13:28:34 +1000
Lines: 43
Message-ID: <jegj32F5rvoU2@mid.individual.net>
References: <t5omeh$l9v$1@dont-email.me> <jedghkFii3eU1@mid.individual.net>
<t5s7kc$s5s$1@dont-email.me> <jee55bFm4o9U1@mid.individual.net>
<t5v1qn$pcb$1@dont-email.me>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-Trace: individual.net 8/zd9CHbhS6+hn1qKm+g/AiOUdst8CVG5kHUiMvnZzibup2S0b
Cancel-Lock: sha1:QD6hIKF1qoOHJ7l1BllJLzD+nOk=
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20100101
Thunderbird/91.9.0
Content-Language: en-US
In-Reply-To: <t5v1qn$pcb$1@dont-email.me>
View all headers
On 17/05/2022 12:38 pm, wmartin wrote:
On 5/15/22 22:18, Trevor Wilson wrote:
On 16/05/2022 10:58 am, wmartin wrote:
On 5/15/22 16:26, Trevor Wilson wrote:
On 15/05/2022 2:47 am, wmartin wrote:
Just a quick request: Anyone have experience with "Smart Tweezers" from Syborg Systems line of ESR meters? Looking for something basic to check components.
Thanks,
Bill

**I use one of these:

https://www.peakelec.co.uk/acatalog/esr70-capacitor-esr-meter.html

Works extremely well, though there are cheaper options.

Thanks, that's interesting. I see they have other gear, will have look at those. Anyone selling in USA?
Bill

**Of course:

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/peak-electronic-design-limited/ESR70/9687220 I also have one of these:

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/peak-electronic-design-limited/DCA75/9687216 Even more impressive, IMO.

Looks like they are "phantom-ware" at the moment, neither instrument is in stock or even back-order able! Another supply chain casualty I suppose.

**Possibly. They're in stock in Europe:

https://www.peakelec.co.uk/acatalog/dca75-dca-pro-semiconductor-analyser.html

https://www.peakelec.co.uk/acatalog/esr70-capacitor-esr-meter.html




Subject: Re: LCR/ESR meter
From: Phil Hobbs
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Organization: Aioe.org NNTP Server
Date: Thu, 19 May 2022 23:45 UTC
References: 1
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!aioe.org!XQE4XpdriRvqE50yAthjmQ.user.46.165.242.75.POSTED!not-for-mail
From: pcdhSpam...@electrooptical.net (Phil Hobbs)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Subject: Re: LCR/ESR meter
Date: Thu, 19 May 2022 19:45:13 -0400
Organization: Aioe.org NNTP Server
Message-ID: <t66kq9$1hs0$1@gioia.aioe.org>
References: <t5omeh$l9v$1@dont-email.me>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Injection-Info: gioia.aioe.org; logging-data="51072"; posting-host="XQE4XpdriRvqE50yAthjmQ.user.gioia.aioe.org"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@aioe.org";
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:78.0) Gecko/20100101
Thunderbird/78.0
X-Notice: Filtered by postfilter v. 0.9.2
View all headers
wmartin wrote:
Just a quick request: Anyone have experience with "Smart Tweezers" from Syborg Systems line of ESR meters? Looking for something basic to check components.
Thanks,
Bill

I have a pair of Smart Tweezers from some outfit in Canada that wasn't called Syborg when I bought them.  The ones I have are about 10 years old and cost around $400.  They're beautiful and work very well--100 Hz, 1 kHz, 10 kHz measurement frequencies, and good accuracy doing in-circuit measurements.  They won't work in every circuit, of course, but with Rs and Cs and semiconductors, they're fine.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC / Hobbs ElectroOptics
Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com



Subject: Re: LCR/ESR meter
From: Trevor Wilson
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Date: Fri, 20 May 2022 03:43 UTC
References: 1 2
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!aioe.org!news.uzoreto.com!fu-berlin.de!uni-berlin.de!individual.net!not-for-mail
From: tre...@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Subject: Re: LCR/ESR meter
Date: Fri, 20 May 2022 13:43:30 +1000
Lines: 25
Message-ID: <jeoh31Flp67U3@mid.individual.net>
References: <t5omeh$l9v$1@dont-email.me> <t66kq9$1hs0$1@gioia.aioe.org>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
X-Trace: individual.net 7L3vofzWmyo9t11OREXrjACC/o9m0yA4mFgfLb50pWbU/Rp6zM
Cancel-Lock: sha1:D0QHF1BOOcX3iZM48HKIEneSn6g=
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20100101
Thunderbird/91.9.0
Content-Language: en-US
In-Reply-To: <t66kq9$1hs0$1@gioia.aioe.org>
View all headers
On 20/05/2022 9:45 am, Phil Hobbs wrote:
wmartin wrote:
Just a quick request: Anyone have experience with "Smart Tweezers" from Syborg Systems line of ESR meters? Looking for something basic to check components.
Thanks,
Bill

I have a pair of Smart Tweezers from some outfit in Canada that wasn't called Syborg when I bought them.  The ones I have are about 10 years old and cost around $400.  They're beautiful and work very well--100 Hz, 1 kHz, 10 kHz measurement frequencies, and good accuracy doing in-circuit measurements.  They won't work in every circuit, of course, but with Rs and Cs and semiconductors, they're fine.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs


**Like these?

https://au.banggood.com/DT71-Digital-Mini-Tweezers-SMD-Tester-Portable-LCR-Meter-Diode-Resistor-Capacitor-Multimeter-Frequency-Signal-Generator-p-1856513.html?rmmds=myorder&cur_warehouse=CN




Subject: Re: LCR/ESR meter
From: amdx
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Organization: A noiseless patient Spider
Date: Fri, 20 May 2022 13:24 UTC
References: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!eternal-september.org!reader02.eternal-september.org!.POSTED!not-for-mail
From: amd...@knology.net (amdx)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Subject: Re: LCR/ESR meter
Date: Fri, 20 May 2022 08:24:19 -0500
Organization: A noiseless patient Spider
Lines: 49
Message-ID: <t684q3$qi8$1@dont-email.me>
References: <t5omeh$l9v$1@dont-email.me> <jedghkFii3eU1@mid.individual.net>
<t5s7kc$s5s$1@dont-email.me> <pKOdnTublpoJOxz_nZ2dnUU7-V2dnZ2d@giganews.com>
<t5sev7$56e$1@dont-email.me>
<16ef8500f07ba018$1$3736274$24dd2e6e@news.thecubenet.com>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Injection-Date: Fri, 20 May 2022 13:24:19 -0000 (UTC)
Injection-Info: reader02.eternal-september.org; posting-host="3d3255744f7fb5ae4d905e86d7d55f53";
logging-data="27208"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@eternal-september.org"; posting-account="U2FsdGVkX18Or2Cq7JP/1q9mQ+oE7LVv"
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20100101
Thunderbird/91.9.0
Cancel-Lock: sha1:8YLGspU82g5j5VXqjM3Wrk+Ra/g=
In-Reply-To: <16ef8500f07ba018$1$3736274$24dd2e6e@news.thecubenet.com>
X-Antivirus-Status: Clean
Content-Language: en-US
X-Antivirus: Avast (VPS 220520-0, 5/19/2022), Outbound message
View all headers
On 5/16/2022 2:23 AM, Clifford Heath wrote:
On 16/5/22 1:04 pm, wmartin wrote:
On 5/15/22 18:19, John Robertson wrote:
On 2022/05/15 5:58 p.m., wmartin wrote:
On 5/15/22 16:26, Trevor Wilson wrote:
On 15/05/2022 2:47 am, wmartin wrote:
Just a quick request: Anyone have experience with "Smart Tweezers" from Syborg Systems line of ESR meters? Looking for something basic to check components.
Thanks,
Bill

**I use one of these:

https://www.peakelec.co.uk/acatalog/esr70-capacitor-esr-meter.html

Works extremely well, though there are cheaper options.

Thanks, that's interesting. I see they have other gear, will have look at those. Anyone selling in USA?
Bill

There is always the Bob Parker design that we sell here in Canada...

https://flippers.com/catalog_oc/blue-esr-meter-kit-p-2.html

John :-#)#

Noted. Thank you.

I built one of those, and it's fun, but the DE-5000 is quite a lot better. It gives you more choice of measurement frequencies and can support a wider impedance range. Find it on EBay.

Peak make nice things. I have one of their 3-terminal component identifier/testers, excellent for figuring out what something s and getting rough measurements.

Clifford Heath

Ditto on the DE-5000, I have one and like it. You can also get the tweezers for the DE-5000.
Mikek


--
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus



Subject: Re: LCR/ESR meter
From: Phil Hobbs
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Organization: A noiseless patient Spider
Date: Fri, 20 May 2022 17:01 UTC
References: 1 2 3
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!eternal-september.org!reader02.eternal-september.org!.POSTED!not-for-mail
From: pcdhSpam...@electrooptical.net (Phil Hobbs)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Subject: Re: LCR/ESR meter
Date: Fri, 20 May 2022 13:01:08 -0400
Organization: A noiseless patient Spider
Lines: 46
Message-ID: <2a6ff8f5-a699-1466-fab9-e746fd7ef4f1@electrooptical.net>
References: <t5omeh$l9v$1@dont-email.me> <t66kq9$1hs0$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<jeoh31Flp67U3@mid.individual.net>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
Injection-Info: reader02.eternal-september.org; posting-host="d2f365a7aaf3d54e53ed96972b30925b";
logging-data="1144"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@eternal-september.org"; posting-account="U2FsdGVkX19RZ768GI8YJebQIPpmsmvi"
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:78.0) Gecko/20100101
Thunderbird/78.0
Cancel-Lock: sha1:m8xJbr0tdDLLQ0xzM0iKUbGa8wE=
In-Reply-To: <jeoh31Flp67U3@mid.individual.net>
View all headers
Trevor Wilson wrote:
On 20/05/2022 9:45 am, Phil Hobbs wrote:
wmartin wrote:
Just a quick request: Anyone have experience with "Smart Tweezers" from Syborg Systems line of ESR meters? Looking for something basic to check components.
Thanks,
Bill

I have a pair of Smart Tweezers from some outfit in Canada that wasn't called Syborg when I bought them.  The ones I have are about 10 years old and cost around $400.  They're beautiful and work very well--100 Hz, 1 kHz, 10 kHz measurement frequencies, and good accuracy doing in-circuit measurements.  They won't work in every circuit, of course, but with Rs and Cs and semiconductors, they're fine.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs


**Like these?

https://au.banggood.com/DT71-Digital-Mini-Tweezers-SMD-Tester-Portable-LCR-Meter-Diode-Resistor-Capacitor-Multimeter-Frequency-Signal-Generator-p-1856513.html?rmmds=myorder&cur_warehouse=CN
https://smarttweezers.ca

The ones I have aren't currently in production, which is unsurprising since I bought them 2010ish.  Super useful.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC / Hobbs ElectroOptics
Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com



1
rocksolid light 0.7.2
clearneti2ptor