Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. -- Wernher von Braun

tech / sci.physics / Re: Meta: Re: How I deal with the enormous amount of spam

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Meta: Re: How I deal with the enormous amount of spamThe Starmaker
`* Re: Meta: Re: How I deal with the enormous amount of spamThe Starmaker
 `* Re: Meta: Re: How I deal with the enormous amount of spamThe Starmaker
  `* Re: Meta: Re: How I deal with the enormous amount of spamThe Starmaker
   `* Re: Meta: Re: How I deal with the enormous amount of spamPhysfitfreak
    `* Re: Meta: Re: How I deal with the enormous amount of spamThe Starmaker
     +- Re: Meta: Re: How I deal with the enormous amount of spamHooker Tzaran Balanowsky
     `* Re: Meta: Re: How I deal with the enormous amount of spamVolney
      `- Re: Meta: Re: How I deal with the enormous amount of spamRoss Finlayson

1
Re: Meta: Re: How I deal with the enormous amount of spam

<65C27AC4.15B7@ix.netcom.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7895&group=sci.physics#7895

From: starma...@ix.netcom.com (The Starmaker)
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity,sci.physics
Subject: Re: Meta: Re: How I deal with the enormous amount of spam
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2024 10:30:28 -0800
References: <V_CcnSsLkaRCoSX4nZ2dnZfqlJ9j4p2d@giganews.com> <afe109ee689f7051d5909fe8eca54113@www.novabbs.com> <b67e3cc9-a1ac-428f-b225-389abf45d416n@googlegroups.com> <Z_icnWyNR7xW5CP4nZ2dnZfqnPSdnZ2d@giganews.com> <65BEB38A.B7E@ix.netcom.com> <65BEC238.5CF1@ix.netcom.com> <18mdnb4LQ8kNUiL4nZ2dnZfqn_SdnZ2d@giganews.com> <0decnTlW944oSSL4nZ2dnZfqn_udnZ2d@giganews.com> <65BFF51D.3F9B@ix.netcom.com> <65BFF947.2233@ix.netcom.com> <Oq6cneYGTPUt2l34nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@giganews.com> <65C079E5.4E84@ix.netcom.com>
 by: The Starmaker - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 18:30 UTC

The Starmaker wrote:

> [...]
> > with a Yes/No button on the subject, tapped through
> > those, and a little script to send an HTTP request to
> > the publicly-facing return-to-sender in-box, for each.
> >
> > Here's all the sources you need: IETF RFC editor.
> > Look for "NNTP". How to advise Google of this is
> > that each domain on the Internet is supposed to
> > have an "abuse@domain" email inbox, though there's
> > probably also a web request interface, as with regards
> > to publicly facing services, and expected to be
> > good actors on the network.
> >
> > Anyways if you read through "Meta: a usenet server
> > just for sci.math", what I have in mind is a sort
> > of author's and writer's oriented installation,
> > basically making for vanity printouts and generating
> > hypertext collections of contents and authors and
> > subjects and these kinds of things, basically for
> > on the order of "find all the postings of Archimedes
> > Plutonium, and, the threads they are in, and,
> > make a hypertext page of all that, a linear timeline,
> > and also thread it out as a linear sequence".
> >
> > I.e. people who actually post to Usenet are sometimes
> > having written interesting things, and, thus having
> > it so that it would be simplified to generate message-ID
> > listings and their corresponding standard URL's in the
> > standard IETF "news" URL protocol, and to point that
> > at a given news server or like XLink, is for treating
> > Usenet its archives like a living museum of all these
> > different authors posts and their interactions together.
> >
> > I.e., here it's "belles lettres" and "fair use",
> > not just "belles" and "use".
> >
> > It seemed nice of Google Groups to front this for a long time,
> > now they're quitting.
> >
> > I imagine Internet Relay Chat's still insane, though.
> >
> > Anyways I stay away from any warez and am proud that
> > since about Y2K at least I've never bootlegged anything,
> > and never uploaded a bootleg. Don't want to give old Shylock
> > excuses, and besides, I wrote software for a living.
>
> Anyways, I don't know who was talking about "any warez" or "bootlegs",
> since I was refering to programs and scripts that reads:
>
> "FREE, which means you can copy it and redistribute"
> "Similarly, the source is provided as reference and can be redistributed
> freely as well. "
>
> HipCrime's NewsAgent (v2.0) is FREE, which means you can copy it and
> redistribute it at will, as long as you give credit to the original
> author. Similarly, the source is provided as reference and can be
> redistributed freely as well.
>
> https://web.archive.org/web/20051023050609/http://newsagent.p5.org.uk/
>
> You seem to be too much 'in your head', on a high horse...
>
> "FREE, which means you can copy it and redistribute"
> "Similarly, the source is provided as reference and can be redistributed
> freely as well. "
>
> So, show me that wicked script you wrote : "funnel all their
> message-ID's"
> by people you call spammers who 'funnel' their products and services

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Meta: Re: How I deal with the enormous amount of spam

<65C2822A.16A7@ix.netcom.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7899&group=sci.physics#7899

From: starma...@ix.netcom.com (The Starmaker)
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity,sci.physics
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2024 11:02:02 -0800
References: <V_CcnSsLkaRCoSX4nZ2dnZfqlJ9j4p2d@giganews.com> <afe109ee689f7051d5909fe8eca54113@www.novabbs.com> <b67e3cc9-a1ac-428f-b225-389abf45d416n@googlegroups.com> <Z_icnWyNR7xW5CP4nZ2dnZfqnPSdnZ2d@giganews.com> <65BEB38A.B7E@ix.netcom.com> <65BEC238.5CF1@ix.netcom.com> <18mdnb4LQ8kNUiL4nZ2dnZfqn_SdnZ2d@giganews.com> <0decnTlW944oSSL4nZ2dnZfqn_udnZ2d@giganews.com> <65BFF51D.3F9B@ix.netcom.com> <65BFF947.2233@ix.netcom.com> <Oq6cneYGTPUt2l34nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@giganews.com> <65C079E5.4E84@ix.netcom.com> <65C27AC4.15B7@ix.netcom.com>
 by: The Starmaker - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 19:02 UTC

The Starmaker wrote:

> [...]
> and that is Ross Finlayson.
>
> I just realized that Ross Finlayson doesn't know of NEWSAGENT.
>
> Anyways, ...
>
> "Anyways"???? Who talks like that?
>
> Anyways..
>
> the problem of the 'flooding' is not the spammers, it's the 'scientific
> community'. They caused the problem.
> They removed the feature that NewsAgent used to get rid of ALL flooding
> and spammers. But, but, the
> members of the scientific community could not trust their own members to
> use it against them.
>
> If one member of the 'scientific community' disagreed with another
> member of the 'scientific community'...they were removed!
>
> Too much power.
>
> I called it...God Mode.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Meta: Re: How I deal with the enormous amount of spam

<65C28717.3F60@ix.netcom.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7902&group=sci.physics#7902

From: starma...@ix.netcom.com (The Starmaker)
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity,sci.physics
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2024 11:23:03 -0800
References: <V_CcnSsLkaRCoSX4nZ2dnZfqlJ9j4p2d@giganews.com> <afe109ee689f7051d5909fe8eca54113@www.novabbs.com> <b67e3cc9-a1ac-428f-b225-389abf45d416n@googlegroups.com> <Z_icnWyNR7xW5CP4nZ2dnZfqnPSdnZ2d@giganews.com> <65BEB38A.B7E@ix.netcom.com> <65BEC238.5CF1@ix.netcom.com> <18mdnb4LQ8kNUiL4nZ2dnZfqn_SdnZ2d@giganews.com> <0decnTlW944oSSL4nZ2dnZfqn_udnZ2d@giganews.com> <65BFF51D.3F9B@ix.netcom.com> <65BFF947.2233@ix.netcom.com> <Oq6cneYGTPUt2l34nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@giganews.com> <65C079E5.4E84@ix.netcom.com> <65C27AC4.15B7@ix.netcom.com> <65C2822A.16A7@ix.netcom.com>
 by: The Starmaker - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 19:23 UTC

The Starmaker wrote:

> The Starmaker wrote:
> >
> > The Starmaker wrote:

> > > Anyways, I don't know who was talking about "any warez" or "bootlegs",
> > > since I was refering to programs and scripts that reads:
> > >
> > > "FREE, which means you can copy it and redistribute"
> > > "Similarly, the source is provided as reference and can be redistributed
> > > freely as well. "
> > >
> > > HipCrime's NewsAgent (v2.0) is FREE, which means you can copy it and
> > > redistribute it at will, as long as you give credit to the original
> > > author. Similarly, the source is provided as reference and can be
> > > redistributed freely as well.
> > >
> > > https://web.archive.org/web/20051023050609/http://newsagent.p5.org.uk/
> > >
> > > You seem to be too much 'in your head', on a high horse...
> > >
> > > "FREE, which means you can copy it and redistribute"
> > > "Similarly, the source is provided as reference and can be redistributed
> > > freely as well. "
> > >
> > > So, show me that wicked script you wrote : "funnel all their
> > > message-ID's"
> > > by people you call spammers who 'funnel' their products and services
> > > through Usenet newsgroups.
> > >
> > > You are sooooo wicked.
> > >
> > > and a nanofossils
> >
> > Anyways, there is only one person that know what 'nanofossils' means,
> > and that is Ross Finlayson.
> >
> > I just realized that Ross Finlayson doesn't know of NEWSAGENT.
> >
> > Anyways, ...
> >
> > "Anyways"???? Who talks like that?
> >
> > Anyways..
> >
> > the problem of the 'flooding' is not the spammers, it's the 'scientific
> > community'. They caused the problem.
> > They removed the feature that NewsAgent used to get rid of ALL flooding
> > and spammers. But, but, the
> > members of the scientific community could not trust their own members to
> > use it against them.
> >
> > If one member of the 'scientific community' disagreed with another
> > member of the 'scientific community'...they were removed!
> >
> > Too much power.
> >
> > I called it...God Mode.
>
> Using NewsAgent in God Mode was great! Ecept...if you didn't know how to use it
> properly you can make a mistake and remove *EVERYONE'S* posts by accident.
>
> Everyone just completely disapeared!
>
> Oops. i made a booboo.
>
> Like that Twilight Zone episode where everyone disapears by a click of a watch.
>
> Where is everybody? MAJOR KILLFILE!
>
> So, which is worse?

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Meta: Re: How I deal with the enormous amount of spam

<65C92FFE.44EA@ix.netcom.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7975&group=sci.physics#7975

From: starma...@ix.netcom.com (The Starmaker)
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity,sci.physics
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2024 12:37:18 -0800
References: <V_CcnSsLkaRCoSX4nZ2dnZfqlJ9j4p2d@giganews.com> <afe109ee689f7051d5909fe8eca54113@www.novabbs.com> <b67e3cc9-a1ac-428f-b225-389abf45d416n@googlegroups.com> <Z_icnWyNR7xW5CP4nZ2dnZfqnPSdnZ2d@giganews.com> <65BEB38A.B7E@ix.netcom.com> <65BEC238.5CF1@ix.netcom.com> <18mdnb4LQ8kNUiL4nZ2dnZfqn_SdnZ2d@giganews.com> <0decnTlW944oSSL4nZ2dnZfqn_udnZ2d@giganews.com> <65BFF51D.3F9B@ix.netcom.com> <65BFF947.2233@ix.netcom.com> <Oq6cneYGTPUt2l34nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@giganews.com> <65C079E5.4E84@ix.netcom.com> <65C27AC4.15B7@ix.netcom.com> <65C2822A.16A7@ix.netcom.com> <65C28717.3F60@ix.netcom.com>
 by: The Starmaker - Sun, 11 Feb 2024 20:37 UTC

The Starmaker wrote:

> The Starmaker wrote:
> >
> > The Starmaker wrote:

> > > Anyways, there is only one person that know what 'nanofossils' means,
> > > and that is Ross Finlayson.
> > >
> > > I just realized that Ross Finlayson doesn't know of NEWSAGENT.
> > >
> > > Anyways, ...
> > >
> > > "Anyways"???? Who talks like that?
> > >
> > > Anyways..
> > >
> > > the problem of the 'flooding' is not the spammers, it's the 'scientific
> > > community'. They caused the problem.
> > > They removed the feature that NewsAgent used to get rid of ALL flooding
> > > and spammers. But, but, the
> > > members of the scientific community could not trust their own members to
> > > use it against them.
> > >
> > > If one member of the 'scientific community' disagreed with another
> > > member of the 'scientific community'...they were removed!
> > >
> > > Too much power.
> > >
> > > I called it...God Mode.
> >
> > Using NewsAgent in God Mode was great! Ecept...if you didn't know how to use it
> > properly you can make a mistake and remove *EVERYONE'S* posts by accident.
> >
> > Everyone just completely disapeared!
> >
> > Oops. i made a booboo.
> >
> > Like that Twilight Zone episode where everyone disapears by a click of a watch.
> >
> > Where is everybody? MAJOR KILLFILE!
> >
> > So, which is worse?
>
> You know what GOD MODE Killfile is? That means you not only killed filed everyone, but you also sort of
> turn everyones esles killfile on. Nobody sees nobody.
>
> It's like the Atomic Bomb of Usenet!
>
> (only yous guys make bombs like that)
> (then yous get angry when everyone has the atomic bomb)
>
> typical.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Meta: Re: How I deal with the enormous amount of spam

<uqe61d$26n3$2@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=8000&group=sci.physics#8000

From: Physfitf...@gmail.com (Physfitfreak)
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity,sci.physics
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2024 16:27:57 -0600
<Z_icnWyNR7xW5CP4nZ2dnZfqnPSdnZ2d@giganews.com> <65BEB38A.B7E@ix.netcom.com>
<65BEC238.5CF1@ix.netcom.com> <18mdnb4LQ8kNUiL4nZ2dnZfqn_SdnZ2d@giganews.com>
<0decnTlW944oSSL4nZ2dnZfqn_udnZ2d@giganews.com> <65BFF51D.3F9B@ix.netcom.com>
<65BFF947.2233@ix.netcom.com> <Oq6cneYGTPUt2l34nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@giganews.com>
<65C079E5.4E84@ix.netcom.com> <65C27AC4.15B7@ix.netcom.com>
<65C2822A.16A7@ix.netcom.com> <65C28717.3F60@ix.netcom.com>
<65C92FFE.44EA@ix.netcom.com>
 by: Physfitfreak - Mon, 12 Feb 2024 22:27 UTC

On 2/11/2024 2:37 PM, The Starmaker wrote:
> As I mentioned above,
> the problem of the 'flooding' is not the spammers,
> it's the 'scientific community'. They caused the problem.
> They removed the feature that was used to get rid of ALL flooding...
>
> Why? Because of the War of the Gods.

So a comic book is resposible for that?

Re: Meta: Re: How I deal with the enormous amount of spam

<65D3A69C.78E8@ix.netcom.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=8106&group=sci.physics#8106

From: starma...@ix.netcom.com (The Starmaker)
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity,sci.physics
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 11:06:04 -0800
<Z_icnWyNR7xW5CP4nZ2dnZfqnPSdnZ2d@giganews.com> <65BEB38A.B7E@ix.netcom.com>
<65BEC238.5CF1@ix.netcom.com> <18mdnb4LQ8kNUiL4nZ2dnZfqn_SdnZ2d@giganews.com>
<0decnTlW944oSSL4nZ2dnZfqn_udnZ2d@giganews.com> <65BFF51D.3F9B@ix.netcom.com>
<65BFF947.2233@ix.netcom.com> <Oq6cneYGTPUt2l34nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@giganews.com>
<65C079E5.4E84@ix.netcom.com> <65C27AC4.15B7@ix.netcom.com>
<65C2822A.16A7@ix.netcom.com> <65C28717.3F60@ix.netcom.com>
<65C92FFE.44EA@ix.netcom.com> <uqe61d$26n3$2@solani.org>
 by: The Starmaker - Mon, 19 Feb 2024 19:06 UTC

So, where do you people get the idea AFTER Feb 22, the flooding will
stop???

Are yous saying it's all coming from Google Groups source website???

Re: Meta: Re: How I deal with the enormous amount of spam

<ur0ni4$1m0k7$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=8117&group=sci.physics#8117

Followup: sci.physics.relativity,sci.physics,sci.math
From: skk...@nsho.ru (Hooker Tzaran Balanowsky)
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity,sci.physics,sci.math
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 23:17:25 -0000 (UTC)
<Z_icnWyNR7xW5CP4nZ2dnZfqnPSdnZ2d@giganews.com> <65BEB38A.B7E@ix.netcom.com>
<65BEC238.5CF1@ix.netcom.com>
<18mdnb4LQ8kNUiL4nZ2dnZfqn_SdnZ2d@giganews.com>
<0decnTlW944oSSL4nZ2dnZfqn_udnZ2d@giganews.com>
<65BFF51D.3F9B@ix.netcom.com> <65BFF947.2233@ix.netcom.com>
<Oq6cneYGTPUt2l34nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@giganews.com>
<65C079E5.4E84@ix.netcom.com> <65C27AC4.15B7@ix.netcom.com>
<65C2822A.16A7@ix.netcom.com> <65C28717.3F60@ix.netcom.com>
<65C92FFE.44EA@ix.netcom.com> <uqe61d$26n3$2@solani.org>
<65D3A69C.78E8@ix.netcom.com>
<f7a1195e-3988-4955-8b52-ca28c188626en@googlegroups.com>
9vI5gHRTIje1wSvYnGwqYgF0EhrFarq5do6vlDWC8fpn8zwudwZnAfkY5FdMdaT
wJZmcCZ6wsztTYO9IEDEQS2L2hdoxtOND8VZFyCn9oBhXd7VGbKnBTabqZY98R2
MhwgtwELLHkkcyL4zjOnlfUBbhyciTDcRxn5wKL81ufGs/L9ABgBzKjUpNEJUt3
A26vJBUylxVb/D4ZJDvP26Bbzzr3CPBFYUwxM70xd8Dtqlj+7u7Ao/wFignxYN6
D8GkAAAAASUVORK5CYII=
 by: Hooker Tzaran Balano - Mon, 19 Feb 2024 23:17 UTC

Dlzc wrote:

> On Monday, February 19, 2024 at 1:05:56 PM UTC-6, The Starmaker wrote:
>> So, where do you people get the idea AFTER Feb 22, the flooding will
>> stop??? Are yous saying it's all coming from Google Groups source
>> website???
>
> No. They are saying that when Google stops crawling USENET for content,
> any spam posted to USENET will be invisible to search engines (or at
> least the Google search engine). The advertisers don't get paid, so
> wasting time posting to USENET becomes pointless.

not sure you undrestand the procedure. The flooding comes most likely from
google itself, wanting 𝘁𝗼_𝗱𝗲𝘀𝘁𝗿𝗼𝘆_𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘂𝘀𝗲𝗻𝗲𝘁. Making money out of it.

otherwise they could stop it long ago. Obvious a wanker 𝗸𝗵𝗮𝘇𝗮𝗿 𝗴𝗼𝘆 from
amrica, their own 𝘁𝗲𝗮𝗺 configuration. They shit together. It's a satanic
club.

Re: Meta: Re: How I deal with the enormous amount of spam

<ur105u$25huk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=8120&group=sci.physics#8120

From: vol...@invalid.invalid (Volney)
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity,sci.physics
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 20:44:28 -0500
<Z_icnWyNR7xW5CP4nZ2dnZfqnPSdnZ2d@giganews.com> <65BEB38A.B7E@ix.netcom.com>
<65BEC238.5CF1@ix.netcom.com> <18mdnb4LQ8kNUiL4nZ2dnZfqn_SdnZ2d@giganews.com>
<0decnTlW944oSSL4nZ2dnZfqn_udnZ2d@giganews.com> <65BFF51D.3F9B@ix.netcom.com>
<65BFF947.2233@ix.netcom.com> <Oq6cneYGTPUt2l34nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@giganews.com>
<65C079E5.4E84@ix.netcom.com> <65C27AC4.15B7@ix.netcom.com>
<65C2822A.16A7@ix.netcom.com> <65C28717.3F60@ix.netcom.com>
<65C92FFE.44EA@ix.netcom.com> <uqe61d$26n3$2@solani.org>
<65D3A69C.78E8@ix.netcom.com>
 by: Volney - Tue, 20 Feb 2024 01:44 UTC

On 2/19/2024 2:06 PM, The Starmaker wrote:
> So, where do you people get the idea AFTER Feb 22, the flooding will
> stop???
>

> Are yous saying it's all coming from Google Groups source website???

The Thai casino spam is from Google and will (should) stop.

Any spammers not spamming through Google can continue to spam, but if
Google is no longer indexing Usenet, it will no longer be profitable for
them.

Re: Meta: Re: How I deal with the enormous amount of spam

<N2adnVbcvpwmsEn4nZ2dnZfqnPudnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=8123&group=sci.physics#8123

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity,sci.physics
<65D3A69C.78E8@ix.netcom.com> <ur105u$25huk$1@dont-email.me>
From: ross.a.f...@gmail.com (Ross Finlayson)
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 20:43:27 -0800
 by: Ross Finlayson - Tue, 20 Feb 2024 04:43 UTC

On 02/19/2024 05:44 PM, Volney wrote:
> On 2/19/2024 2:06 PM, The Starmaker wrote:
>> So, where do you people get the idea AFTER Feb 22, the flooding will
>> stop???
>>

>> Are yous saying it's all coming from Google Groups source website???
>
> The Thai casino spam is from Google and will (should) stop.
>
> Any spammers not spamming through Google can continue to spam, but if
> Google is no longer indexing Usenet, it will no longer be profitable for
> them.

I think it's a sham for "spam-walling the Internet".

I.e. "Aw you got spammed, good-bye. Good luck standing
up any publicly-facing service." It seems a lot just like
the any other sort of protection racket bit.

I mean it's "thousands of fake Google accounts", ...,
or "gee thanks OAuth", maybe it's just the terrible
decision to keys-to-the-kingdom by thousands of stupid
gamblers who click-through a creds-farm to see a breast,
like "Are you sure?", "Are you sure you can't read English?".
Either way they're dupes.

If you look at something like narkiv or novabbs, they
just put some filters on their INND or what and not much spam there.

On the usual hired Usenet providers they are statedly anti-spam,
and there's some cancel-bot activity going on them, though for
example it gets out variously, each Usenet site can have its own
policy. Seems the idea is "don't post links".

So, it's sort of varying as a patch-work. There's lots to it,
though.

It was nice of Google to front to Usenet these years,
what'll be missing will be "easy search", so the idea
is to make "a Library/Museum Browse, Exhibit, Tour, Carrel"
type experience, "fuller search".

Hopefully there'll be a revival. Have you ever seen
a tent revival? Sometimes those can get pretty good.

I'm trying to figure out standard files for standard protocols
for reference implementations and reference editions,
of bring-your-own or brew-your-own, Usenet and this kind of thing.
Over on sci.math it's called "Meta: a usenet server just for sci.math".

Currently it's name idea is like "usenet.science", but, it's variable.