If you're not careful, you're going to catch something.

tech / sci.math / Re: OT: Is it impolite to fart at the dinner table?

SubjectAuthor
* OT: Is it impolite to fart at the dinner table?Judith Latham
+* Re: OT: Is it impolite to fart at the dinner table?AnonymousCoward
|`* Re: OT: Is it impolite to fart at the dinner table?John
| `* Re: OT: Is it impolite to fart at the dinner table?AnonymousCoward
|  `* Re: OT: Is it impolite to fart at the dinner table?John
|   +- Re: OT: Is it impolite to fart at the dinner table?AnonymousCoward
|   `- Re: OT: Is it impolite to fart at the dinner table?מין הארץ יהודי ישראלי עב
+- Re: OT: Is it impolite to fart at the dinner table?mitchr...@gmail.com
+* Re: OT: Is it impolite to fart at the dinner table?Chris M. Thomasson
|`* Re: OT: Is it impolite to fart at the dinner table?John
| +* Re: OT: Is it impolite to fart at the dinner table?Chris M. Thomasson
| |`* Re: OT: Is it impolite to fart at the dinner table?John
| | +- Re: OT: Is it impolite to fart at the dinner table?Serg io
| | +* Re: OT: Is it impolite to fart at the dinner table?Judith Latham
| | |`- Re: OT: Is it impolite to fart at the dinner table?John
| | `- Re: OT: Is it impolite to fart at the dinner table?Chris M. Thomasson
| `* Re: OT: Is it impolite to fart at the dinner table?Chris M. Thomasson
|  `- Re: OT: Is it impolite to fart at the dinner table?John
`- Re: OT: Is it impolite to fart at the dinner table?Serg io

1
OT: Is it impolite to fart at the dinner table?

<sjcdpc$fr0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=78488&group=sci.math#78488

From: jud...@sick-of-bullshit.invalid (Judith Latham)
Newsgroups: sci.math
Subject: OT: Is it impolite to fart at the dinner table?
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2021 10:12:56 -0400
 by: Judith Latham - Sun, 3 Oct 2021 14:12 UTC

I very recently posed this question on rec.food.cooking, and although I
did receive a few responses, none answered my question directly. Last
week I was having lunch with two of my lady friends from my cats group.
After a hearty meal of chili beans and rice, my friend Jill let out a
fart for the ages. It was loud and it stunk. After a moment of tense
silence, I asked her was she going to at least say "excuse me". My other
friend, Carol, chimed in that farting after a nice meal was perfectly
acceptable and was meant as a compliment to the chef. She said it was an
eastern European custom, which I have to admit I had never heard before.
Jill said that although she wasn't from eastern Europe, it was a custom
that she adopted. She then proceeded to cut another one, which was even
louder than the first. While I had a look of disgust on my face, Carol
had this big grin on her face as she let loose with a silent but deadly.
I nearly puked from the smell. Getting back to my original question: Is
it impolite to fart at the dinner table?

Re: OT: Is it impolite to fart at the dinner table?

<sjchm4$tgn$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=78490&group=sci.math#78490

From: anonym...@coward.com (AnonymousCoward)
Newsgroups: sci.math
Subject: Re: OT: Is it impolite to fart at the dinner table?
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2021 15:19:32 -0000 (UTC)
 by: AnonymousCoward - Sun, 3 Oct 2021 15:19 UTC

On Sun, 03 Oct 2021 10:12:56 -0400, Judith Latham wrote:

>My other
> friend, Carol, chimed in that farting after a nice meal was perfectly
> acceptable and was meant as a compliment to the chef. She said it was an
> eastern European custom, which I have to admit I had never heard before.

Because there's no such custom. If it was burping, it would make the lie
more credible.

> While I had a look of disgust on my face, Carol
> had this big grin on her face as she let loose with a silent but deadly.
> I nearly puked from the smell.

Are you sure they aren't into scat?

> Getting back to my original question: Is
> it impolite to fart at the dinner table?

It's impolite to fart near other people, either at dinner table or not.
Even "impolite" is not the right term. As you said, it's disgusting and
only pigs do that.

Next time after dinner fart in their face, literally in their face, and
tell them that's a custom that some indian tribes have to show that they
feel confortable with them around and it's an honour for them, and you,
that you can fart in their face.

Re: OT: Is it impolite to fart at the dinner table?

<98ee46f3-b3ab-4b1a-9957-5391728db589n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=78507&group=sci.math#78507

Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2021 10:42:55 -0700 (PDT)
From: mitchrae...@gmail.com (mitchr...@gmail.com)
 by: mitchr...@gmail.com - Sun, 3 Oct 2021 17:42 UTC

It is not polite to smell your own farts...

Re: OT: Is it impolite to fart at the dinner table?

<sjd1pk$oa6$4@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=78522&group=sci.math#78522

From: chris.m....@gmail.com (Chris M. Thomasson)
Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2021 12:54:27 -0700
 by: Chris M. Thomasson - Sun, 3 Oct 2021 19:54 UTC

On 10/3/2021 7:12 AM, Judith Latham wrote:
> I very recently posed this question on rec.food.cooking, and although I
> did receive a few responses, none answered my question directly. Last
> week I was having lunch with two of my lady friends from my cats group.
> After a hearty meal of chili beans and rice, my friend Jill let out a
> fart for the ages. It was loud and it stunk. After a moment of tense
> silence, I asked her was she going to at least say "excuse me". My other
> friend, Carol, chimed in that farting after a nice meal was perfectly
> acceptable and was meant as a compliment to the chef. She said it was an
> eastern European custom, which I have to admit I had never heard before.
> Jill said that although she wasn't from eastern Europe, it was a custom
> that she adopted. She then proceeded to cut another one, which was even
> louder than the first. While I had a look of disgust on my face, Carol
> had this big grin on her face as she let loose with a silent but deadly.
> I nearly puked from the smell. Getting back to my original question: Is
> it impolite to fart at the dinner table?

Check out the following scene:

https://youtu.be/B52L95xRYFs

;^)

Re: OT: Is it impolite to fart at the dinner table?

<22eklgp32lu2n7jua3t2vppgdeujismmrs@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=78543&group=sci.math#78543

From: Man...@the.keyboard (John)
Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2021 00:23:17 +0100
 by: John - Sun, 3 Oct 2021 23:23 UTC

On Sun, 3 Oct 2021 15:19:32 -0000 (UTC), AnonymousCoward
<anonymous@coward.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 03 Oct 2021 10:12:56 -0400, Judith Latham wrote:
>
>>My other
>> friend, Carol, chimed in that farting after a nice meal was perfectly
>> acceptable and was meant as a compliment to the chef. She said it was an
>> eastern European custom, which I have to admit I had never heard before.

Gases from the digestion of a meal do not erupt for many, many hours
after that meal has been eaten. The human gut is ten yards long and
food takes a while to get through it. It also takes the stomach and
the little critters in the long, tuby bit time to break down the food
into its component. Bacteria aren't like strong acids, though the
stomach is, they need time to do their job.

The friend is "complimenting" the cook of yesterday or the day
before, maybe even more historically if she has digestive issues.

>Because there's no such custom. If it was burping, it would make the lie
>more credible.

Indeed, it is a lie that I have heard noised about in connection to
Mediterraneans, Red Indians and Real Indians. It is nonsense.

I am, of course, open to being corrected by any Anthropologist or
member of any "tribe" who *does* have customs such as these. :)

Evidence and citations would be very welcome.

>> While I had a look of disgust on my face, Carol
>> had this big grin on her face as she let loose with a silent but deadly.
>> I nearly puked from the smell.
>
>Are you sure they aren't into scat?
>

>> Getting back to my original question: Is
>> it impolite to fart at the dinner table?
>

>It's impolite to fart near other people, either at dinner table or not.
>Even "impolite" is not the right term. As you said, it's disgusting and
>only pigs do that.

Not so. You have obviously never lived with a dog nor a cat and
herbivores don't even have limited control over this.

>Next time after dinner fart in their face, literally in their face, and
>tell them that's a custom that some indian tribes have to show that they

Real, Red or West Indians? There are genetic, historical and cultural
differences.

>feel confortable with them around and it's an honour for them, and you,
>that you can fart in their face.

How to lose friends and influence people.

J.

Re: OT: Is it impolite to fart at the dinner table?

<m2fklgd5vcdhlpk59omf07ffvnav3sfgbr@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=78544&group=sci.math#78544

From: Man...@the.keyboard (John)
Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2021 00:33:25 +0100
 by: John - Sun, 3 Oct 2021 23:33 UTC

On Sun, 3 Oct 2021 12:54:27 -0700, "Chris M. Thomasson"
<chris.m.thomasson.1@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 10/3/2021 7:12 AM, Judith Latham wrote:
>> I very recently posed this question on rec.food.cooking, and although I
>> did receive a few responses, none answered my question directly. Last
>> week I was having lunch with two of my lady friends from my cats group.
>> After a hearty meal of chili beans and rice, my friend Jill let out a
>> fart for the ages. It was loud and it stunk. After a moment of tense
>> silence, I asked her was she going to at least say "excuse me". My other
>> friend, Carol, chimed in that farting after a nice meal was perfectly
>> acceptable and was meant as a compliment to the chef. She said it was an
>> eastern European custom, which I have to admit I had never heard before.
>> Jill said that although she wasn't from eastern Europe, it was a custom
>> that she adopted. She then proceeded to cut another one, which was even
>> louder than the first. While I had a look of disgust on my face, Carol
>> had this big grin on her face as she let loose with a silent but deadly.
>> I nearly puked from the smell. Getting back to my original question: Is
>> it impolite to fart at the dinner table?
>>

>Check out the following scene:
>
>https://youtu.be/B52L95xRYFs

I would prefer these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD4izuDMUQA

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTn6Ewhb27k if you don't mind.

Yes, I know letting out trapped gases is a biological necessity but
so is peeing yet we discourage relatives and guests from urinating in
everyone's corn flakes even though urine is technically non-toxic and
vaguely potable. Flavoured with sufficient vodka, for the cereal, it
may even become delicious.

Humans are trained to practice continence for very good reasons. Even
the household pets of humans can be so trained, some of them.

J.

>;^)

Re: OT: Is it impolite to fart at the dinner table?

<sjdq6i$uch$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=78556&group=sci.math#78556

From: inva...@invalid.com (Serg io)
Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2021 21:50:56 -0500
 by: Serg io - Mon, 4 Oct 2021 02:50 UTC

On 10/3/2021 9:12 AM, Judith Latham wrote:
> I very recently posed this question on rec.food.cooking, and although I did receive a few responses, none answered my question directly. Last week I was
> having lunch with two of my lady friends from my cats group. After a hearty meal of chili beans and rice, my friend Jill let out a fart for the ages. It
> was loud and it stunk. After a moment of tense silence, I asked her was she going to at least say "excuse me". My other friend, Carol, chimed in that
> farting after a nice meal was perfectly acceptable and was meant as a compliment to the chef. She said it was an eastern European custom, which I have
> to admit I had never heard before. Jill said that although she wasn't from eastern Europe, it was a custom that she adopted. She then proceeded to cut
> another one, which was even louder than the first. While I had a look of disgust on my face, Carol had this big grin on her face as she let loose with a
> silent but deadly. I nearly puked from the smell. Getting back to my original question: Is it impolite to fart at the dinner table?

zits ok to fart in newsgroups, like your post above, its like farting in your office cube, everyone knows you did it.

Re: OT: Is it impolite to fart at the dinner table?

<sjdstn$1hkb$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=78560&group=sci.math#78560

From: chris.m....@gmail.com (Chris M. Thomasson)
Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2021 20:37:26 -0700
 by: Chris M. Thomasson - Mon, 4 Oct 2021 03:37 UTC

On 10/3/2021 4:33 PM, John wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Oct 2021 12:54:27 -0700, "Chris M. Thomasson"
> <chris.m.thomasson.1@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 10/3/2021 7:12 AM, Judith Latham wrote:
>>> I very recently posed this question on rec.food.cooking, and although I
>>> did receive a few responses, none answered my question directly. Last
>>> week I was having lunch with two of my lady friends from my cats group.
>>> After a hearty meal of chili beans and rice, my friend Jill let out a
>>> fart for the ages. It was loud and it stunk. After a moment of tense
>>> silence, I asked her was she going to at least say "excuse me". My other
>>> friend, Carol, chimed in that farting after a nice meal was perfectly
>>> acceptable and was meant as a compliment to the chef. She said it was an
>>> eastern European custom, which I have to admit I had never heard before.
>>> Jill said that although she wasn't from eastern Europe, it was a custom
>>> that she adopted. She then proceeded to cut another one, which was even
>>> louder than the first. While I had a look of disgust on my face, Carol
>>> had this big grin on her face as she let loose with a silent but deadly.
>>> I nearly puked from the smell. Getting back to my original question: Is
>>> it impolite to fart at the dinner table?
>>>

>> Check out the following scene:
>>
>> https://youtu.be/B52L95xRYFs
>
> I would prefer these:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD4izuDMUQA
>
> and
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTn6Ewhb27k if you don't mind.
>
> Yes, I know letting out trapped gases is a biological necessity but
> so is peeing yet we discourage relatives and guests from urinating in
> everyone's corn flakes even though urine is technically non-toxic and
> vaguely potable. Flavoured with sufficient vodka, for the cereal, it
> may even become delicious.
>
> Humans are trained to practice continence for very good reasons. Even
> the household pets of humans can be so trained, some of them.

Indeed. I would suggest politely excusing yourself from the table, and
go outside... Let the pressure go, wait for around 2-3 minutes, then
come back in.

Re: OT: Is it impolite to fart at the dinner table?

<sjdt4r$1ne8$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=78561&group=sci.math#78561

From: chris.m....@gmail.com (Chris M. Thomasson)
Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2021 20:41:14 -0700
 by: Chris M. Thomasson - Mon, 4 Oct 2021 03:41 UTC

On 10/3/2021 4:33 PM, John wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Oct 2021 12:54:27 -0700, "Chris M. Thomasson"
> <chris.m.thomasson.1@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 10/3/2021 7:12 AM, Judith Latham wrote:
>>> I very recently posed this question on rec.food.cooking, and although I
>>> did receive a few responses, none answered my question directly. Last
>>> week I was having lunch with two of my lady friends from my cats group.
>>> After a hearty meal of chili beans and rice, my friend Jill let out a
>>> fart for the ages. It was loud and it stunk. After a moment of tense
>>> silence, I asked her was she going to at least say "excuse me". My other
>>> friend, Carol, chimed in that farting after a nice meal was perfectly
>>> acceptable and was meant as a compliment to the chef. She said it was an
>>> eastern European custom, which I have to admit I had never heard before.
>>> Jill said that although she wasn't from eastern Europe, it was a custom
>>> that she adopted. She then proceeded to cut another one, which was even
>>> louder than the first. While I had a look of disgust on my face, Carol
>>> had this big grin on her face as she let loose with a silent but deadly.
>>> I nearly puked from the smell. Getting back to my original question: Is
>>> it impolite to fart at the dinner table?
>>>

>> Check out the following scene:
>>
>> https://youtu.be/B52L95xRYFs
>
> I would prefer these:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD4izuDMUQA

That's pretty nice. I like this one as well:

https://youtu.be/xp-8HysWkxw

> and
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTn6Ewhb27k if you don't mind.
>
> Yes, I know letting out trapped gases is a biological necessity but
> so is peeing yet we discourage relatives and guests from urinating in
> everyone's corn flakes even though urine is technically non-toxic and
> vaguely potable. Flavoured with sufficient vodka, for the cereal, it
> may even become delicious.
>
> Humans are trained to practice continence for very good reasons. Even
> the household pets of humans can be so trained, some of them.
>
> J.
>

>> ;^)

Re: OT: Is it impolite to fart at the dinner table?

<sje905$7r8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=78577&group=sci.math#78577

From: anonym...@coward.com (AnonymousCoward)
Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2021 07:03:33 -0000 (UTC)
 by: AnonymousCoward - Mon, 4 Oct 2021 07:03 UTC

> Not so. You have obviously never lived with a dog nor a cat and
> herbivores don't even have limited control over this.

Animals aren't people.

> Real, Red or West Indians? There are genetic, historical and cultural
> differences.

The point was that it was a lie, so this is also a lie but to his
"benefit". Don't do to others what you don't want others do to you.

> How to lose friends and influence people.

But it would make a nice usenet post.

Re: OT: Is it impolite to fart at the dinner table?

<fn2mlgp497fc5fs731n984jpgk8cia5fe6@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=78594&group=sci.math#78594

From: Man...@the.keyboard (John)
Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2021 15:10:58 +0100
 by: John - Mon, 4 Oct 2021 14:10 UTC

On Sun, 3 Oct 2021 20:37:26 -0700, "Chris M. Thomasson"
<chris.m.thomasson.1@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 10/3/2021 4:33 PM, John wrote:
>> On Sun, 3 Oct 2021 12:54:27 -0700, "Chris M. Thomasson"
>> <chris.m.thomasson.1@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Check out the following scene:
>>>
>>> https://youtu.be/B52L95xRYFs
>>
>> I would prefer these:
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD4izuDMUQA
>>
>> and
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTn6Ewhb27k if you don't mind.
>>
>> Yes, I know letting out trapped gases is a biological necessity but
>> so is peeing yet we discourage relatives and guests from urinating in
>> everyone's corn flakes even though urine is technically non-toxic and
>> vaguely potable. Flavoured with sufficient vodka, for the cereal, it
>> may even become delicious.
>>
>> Humans are trained to practice continence for very good reasons. Even
>> the household pets of humans can be so trained, some of them.
>
>Indeed. I would suggest politely excusing yourself from the table, and
>go outside... Let the pressure go, wait for around 2-3 minutes, then
>come back in.

My lovely, wise and compassionate wife used to do somewhat the same
thing with ciggies. I thought that was very nice of her.

They are both about the same level of disgusting.

J.

Re: OT: Is it impolite to fart at the dinner table?

<k83mlg11et1sd01s0dvsb2e84g9r7bkir7@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=78595&group=sci.math#78595

From: Man...@the.keyboard (John)
Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2021 15:20:52 +0100
 by: John - Mon, 4 Oct 2021 14:20 UTC

On Sun, 3 Oct 2021 20:41:14 -0700, "Chris M. Thomasson"
<chris.m.thomasson.1@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 10/3/2021 4:33 PM, John wrote:
>> On Sun, 3 Oct 2021 12:54:27 -0700, "Chris M. Thomasson"
>> <chris.m.thomasson.1@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Check out the following scene:
>>>
>>> https://youtu.be/B52L95xRYFs
>>
>> I would prefer these:
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD4izuDMUQA
>
>That's pretty nice. I like this one as well:
>
>https://youtu.be/xp-8HysWkxw

Hmm, "hidden to" bugs the fuck out of me.

It's also pretty lacking in numbers and hard facts. I *like* numbers
and hard facts. Peotry is fine for wooing ladies but Science and
sciencey stuff need numbers.

Perhaps I'm not the intended audience?

Thank you.

J.

<<snipped>>

Re: OT: Is it impolite to fart at the dinner table?

<cf3mlgpi52va5eiu9c2d4lhks7sui1kvcu@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=78596&group=sci.math#78596

From: Man...@the.keyboard (John)
Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2021 15:37:50 +0100
 by: John - Mon, 4 Oct 2021 14:37 UTC

On Mon, 4 Oct 2021 07:03:33 -0000 (UTC), AnonymousCoward
<anonymous@coward.com> wrote:

>> Not so. You have obviously never lived with a dog nor a cat and
>> herbivores don't even have limited control over this.
>>

>Animals aren't people.

The point was that we *can* and *do* train animals to be continent
inside our homes for very valid reasons. If we can do this for "lesser
critters" then doing it for humans should not be difficult.

If you can teach a dog not to steal your lunch, it should be fucking
*easy* to teach a politician not to steal *anything*.

And, just to be clear, humans *are* animals. Also they are apes,
primates and mammals. Just like chimps, bonobos and gorillas. That
humans can be trained implies that some animals can be at least to
limited extents and this has been shown to be true for at least twelve
millennia.

I do know that some dogs will sneak a gobble of lunch if you leave it
unattended to answer the doorbell but this does not imply that
politicians are allowed, because of their animal natures, to thieve
and grift when no one is looking. They are, after all, supposed to be
human and humans are allegedly of a more enlightened kind who can
aspire to a higher moral code.

That they don't is as bad as the friend who farts. Neither is a fully
socialised human being.

>> Real, Red or West Indians? There are genetic, historical and cultural
>> differences.
>
>The point was that it was a lie, so this is also a lie but to his
>"benefit". Don't do to others what you don't want others do to you.

How is stating that Red, West and Real Indians are different a lie?
They are *obviously* different each from the other or we would not
have three words to differentiate between them. Do try to keep up.

How is asking to which group the original "tribe who farts" belongs a
lie? It is a question. A question is unable to carry a truth value.

Your reading comprehension skills are lacking, pal.

>> How to lose friends and influence people.
>
>But it would make a nice usenet post.

Being nice on the 'Net would entail your including the text I was
replying to so others reading the thread can follow the joke. It would
also mean your including attributions so people know that it was,
indeed, me who was funny.

But I suppose you are far too young and innocent to have learned how
to be nice.

It doesn't matter, you are kill-filed and I'm out.

Merry Christmas.

J.

Re: OT: Is it impolite to fart at the dinner table?

<sjfb3e$h6s$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=78610&group=sci.math#78610

From: inva...@invalid.com (Serg io)
Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2021 11:45:32 -0500
 by: Serg io - Mon, 4 Oct 2021 16:45 UTC

On 10/4/2021 9:10 AM, John wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Oct 2021 20:37:26 -0700, "Chris M. Thomasson"
> <chris.m.thomasson.1@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 10/3/2021 4:33 PM, John wrote:

>>> I would prefer these:
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD4izuDMUQA
>>>
>>> and
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTn6Ewhb27k if you don't mind.
>>>
>>> Yes, I know letting out trapped gases is a biological necessity but
>>> so is peeing yet we discourage relatives and guests from urinating in
>>> everyone's corn flakes even though urine is technically non-toxic and
>>> vaguely potable. Flavoured with sufficient vodka, for the cereal, it
>>> may even become delicious.
>>>
>>> Humans are trained to practice continence for very good reasons. Even
>>> the household pets of humans can be so trained, some of them.
>>
>> Indeed. I would suggest politely excusing yourself from the table, and
>> go outside... Let the pressure go, wait for around 2-3 minutes, then
>> come back in.
>
> My lovely, wise and compassionate wife used to do somewhat the same
> thing with ciggies. I thought that was very nice of her.
>
> They are both about the same level of disgusting.
>
> J.

Fire hazard too, if she lit up whilst out-gassing...

Re: OT: Is it impolite to fart at the dinner table?

<sjficv$sr1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=78621&group=sci.math#78621

From: jud...@sick-of-bullshit.invalid (Judith Latham)
Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2021 14:50:02 -0400
 by: Judith Latham - Mon, 4 Oct 2021 18:50 UTC

On 10/4/2021 10:10 AM, John wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Oct 2021 20:37:26 -0700, "Chris M. Thomasson"
> <chris.m.thomasson.1@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 10/3/2021 4:33 PM, John wrote:

>>> I would prefer these:
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD4izuDMUQA
>>>
>>> and
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTn6Ewhb27k if you don't mind.
>>>
>>> Yes, I know letting out trapped gases is a biological necessity but
>>> so is peeing yet we discourage relatives and guests from urinating in
>>> everyone's corn flakes even though urine is technically non-toxic and
>>> vaguely potable. Flavoured with sufficient vodka, for the cereal, it
>>> may even become delicious.
>>>
>>> Humans are trained to practice continence for very good reasons. Even
>>> the household pets of humans can be so trained, some of them.
>>
>> Indeed. I would suggest politely excusing yourself from the table, and
>> go outside... Let the pressure go, wait for around 2-3 minutes, then
>> come back in.
>
> My lovely, wise and compassionate wife used to do somewhat the same
> thing with ciggies. I thought that was very nice of her.
>
> They are both about the same level of disgusting.
>
> J.

Certainly you can not compare the unpleasant smell of a cigarette to the
nasty stench that permeates from a thunderous burst of flatulence. The
former will make you lose your appetite, the latter will make you lose
your lunch.

Re: OT: Is it impolite to fart at the dinner table?

<sjfp5o$pah$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=78642&group=sci.math#78642

From: anonym...@coward.com (AnonymousCoward)
Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2021 20:45:44 -0000 (UTC)
 by: AnonymousCoward - Mon, 4 Oct 2021 20:45 UTC

>>> Real, Red or West Indians? There are genetic, historical and cultural
>>> differences.
>>
>>The point was that it was a lie, so this is also a lie but to his
>>"benefit". Don't do to others what you don't want others do to you.
>
> How is stating that Red, West and Real Indians are different a lie?
> They are *obviously* different each from the other or we would not have
> three words to differentiate between them. Do try to keep up.
>
> How is asking to which group the original "tribe who farts" belongs a
> lie? It is a question. A question is unable to carry a truth value.
>
> Your reading comprehension skills are lacking, pal.

I think it's yours. I mentioned "only pigs" do that, and you started to
talk about cats, dogs and herbivores... When i was talking about humans.

You asked some stupid question about the point i wrote, which i replied
that what, the original point wasn't true so mine wasn't true either.

Who's lacking reading skills?

> It would
> also mean your including attributions so people know that it was,
> indeed, me who was funny.

Yes, you are very funny. I can't stop laughing. Almost peed myself.
How many brownie points do you have now for being the most funny guy?
> It doesn't matter, you are kill-filed and I'm out.

Awesome. One less! I will wear it as my badge of honour.

Re: OT: Is it impolite to fart at the dinner table?

<2s9slg1tufk5p1a94if7631u0774dho040@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=78899&group=sci.math#78899

From: Man...@the.keyboard (John)
Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2021 23:55:00 +0100
 by: John - Wed, 6 Oct 2021 22:55 UTC

On Mon, 4 Oct 2021 14:50:02 -0400, Judith Latham
<judith@sick-of-bullshit.invalid> wrote:

>On 10/4/2021 10:10 AM, John wrote:
>> On Sun, 3 Oct 2021 20:37:26 -0700, "Chris M. Thomasson"
>> <chris.m.thomasson.1@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Indeed. I would suggest politely excusing yourself from the table, and
>>> go outside... Let the pressure go, wait for around 2-3 minutes, then
>>> come back in.
>>
>> My lovely, wise and compassionate wife used to do somewhat the same
>> thing with ciggies. I thought that was very nice of her.
>>
>> They are both about the same level of disgusting.
>>
>> J.
>>

>Certainly you can not compare the unpleasant smell of a cigarette to the
>nasty stench that permeates from a thunderous burst of flatulence.

Yes, I can and do.

> The
>former will make you lose your appetite, the latter will make you lose
>your lunch.

Both are emetics to me but the tobacco also chokes me making it hard
for me to breathe. Tobacco smoke is like a poisonous gas to me. Air
from the digestive passages, even those of other species, is merely
nauseating.

I have breathing issues in the cleanest of airs, polluting them with
vehicle exhausts or tobacco fumes just makes my problems worse.

Anal ventings don't seem to choke me so much. They are, however, as
mentioned, still odious.

The grotesquely horrible stink of a tobacco-user's clothing as he
passes by in a closed space after indulging in his anti-social habit
is also exceedingly offensive. That may be worse than flatulence as it
lingers longer and tends to be far stronger.

J.

Re: OT: Is it impolite to fart at the dinner table?

<sjle8q$1h9q$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=78912&group=sci.math#78912

From: chris.m....@gmail.com (Chris M. Thomasson)
Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2021 17:16:25 -0700
 by: Chris M. Thomasson - Thu, 7 Oct 2021 00:16 UTC

On 10/4/2021 7:10 AM, John wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Oct 2021 20:37:26 -0700, "Chris M. Thomasson"
> <chris.m.thomasson.1@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 10/3/2021 4:33 PM, John wrote:

>>> I would prefer these:
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD4izuDMUQA
>>>
>>> and
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTn6Ewhb27k if you don't mind.
>>>
>>> Yes, I know letting out trapped gases is a biological necessity but
>>> so is peeing yet we discourage relatives and guests from urinating in
>>> everyone's corn flakes even though urine is technically non-toxic and
>>> vaguely potable. Flavoured with sufficient vodka, for the cereal, it
>>> may even become delicious.
>>>
>>> Humans are trained to practice continence for very good reasons. Even
>>> the household pets of humans can be so trained, some of them.
>>
>> Indeed. I would suggest politely excusing yourself from the table, and
>> go outside... Let the pressure go, wait for around 2-3 minutes, then
>> come back in.
>
> My lovely, wise and compassionate wife used to do somewhat the same
> thing with ciggies. I thought that was very nice of her.

You Wife is a very nice, and kind person. Very considerate of others.
Well done Sir! Well done. :^)

Re: OT: Is it impolite to fart at the dinner table?

<sll5qd$1v3u$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=81409&group=sci.math#81409

From: yah...@invalid.ivalid (מין הארץ יהודי ישראלי עברית אמריקא)
רית אמריקא <yahwey@invalid.ivalid>
Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2021 00:24:38 -0400
 by: מין הארץ יה - Sun, 31 Oct 2021 04:24 UTC

On 10/4/2021 10:37 AM, John wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Oct 2021 07:03:33 -0000 (UTC), AnonymousCoward
> <anonymous@coward.com> wrote:
>

>>> Not so. You have obviously never lived with a dog nor a cat and
>>> herbivores don't even have limited control over this.
>>>

>> Animals aren't people.
>
> The point was that we *can* and *do* train animals to be continent
> inside our homes for very valid reasons. If we can do this for "lesser
> critters" then doing it for humans should not be difficult.
>
> If you can teach a dog not to steal your lunch, it should be fucking
> *easy* to teach a politician not to steal *anything*.
>
> And, just to be clear, humans *are* animals. Also they are apes,
> primates and mammals. Just like chimps, bonobos and gorillas. That
> humans can be trained implies that some animals can be at least to
> limited extents and this has been shown to be true for at least twelve
> millennia.
>
> I do know that some dogs will sneak a gobble of lunch if you leave it
> unattended to answer the doorbell but this does not imply that
> politicians are allowed, because of their animal natures, to thieve
> and grift when no one is looking. They are, after all, supposed to be
> human and humans are allegedly of a more enlightened kind who can
> aspire to a higher moral code.
>
> That they don't is as bad as the friend who farts. Neither is a fully
> socialised human being.
>

>>> Real, Red or West Indians? There are genetic, historical and cultural
>>> differences.
>>
>> The point was that it was a lie, so this is also a lie but to his
>> "benefit". Don't do to others what you don't want others do to you.
>
> How is stating that Red, West and Real Indians are different a lie?
> They are *obviously* different each from the other or we would not
> have three words to differentiate between them. Do try to keep up.
>
> How is asking to which group the original "tribe who farts" belongs a
> lie? It is a question. A question is unable to carry a truth value.
>
> Your reading comprehension skills are lacking, pal.
>

>>> How to lose friends and influence people.
>>
>> But it would make a nice usenet post.
>
> Being nice on the 'Net would entail your including the text I was
> replying to so others reading the thread can follow the joke. It would
> also mean your including attributions so people know that it was,
> indeed, me who was funny.
>
> But I suppose you are far too young and innocent to have learned how
> to be nice.
>
> It doesn't matter, you are kill-filed and I'm out.
>
> Merry Christmas.

Don't be so harsh on the youngster. In the long run, All Farts Matter,
will be the dominant new slogan in my room. That's when farts will again
dominate the news; newly gassed will call out, id need be.