"Never give in. Never give in. Never. Never. Never." -- Winston Churchill

tech / sci.astro.amateur / Re: Mercury comes into view

SubjectAuthor
* Mercury comes into viewkellehe...@gmail.com
+* Re: Mercury comes into viewkellehe...@gmail.com
|+* Re: Mercury comes into viewkellehe...@gmail.com
||`- Re: Mercury comes into viewkellehe...@gmail.com
|`- Re: Mercury comes into viewStarDust
`- Re: Mercury comes into viewStarDust

1
Mercury comes into view

<90547d56-c57e-4f14-8b52-19f74fd6e520n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7920&group=sci.astro.amateur#7920

Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 14:13:12 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Mercury comes into view
From: kelleher...@gmail.com (kellehe...@gmail.com)
 by: kellehe...@gmail.com - Fri, 25 Mar 2022 21:13 UTC

https://sol24.net/data/html/SOHO/C3/96H/VIDEO/

https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbLaunch/whereIsWebb.html

The Terran system on the website provides an excellent graphic of what is actually happening in the time lapse as seen from a satellite tracking with the Earth around the Sun.

I so admire the original heliostatic researchers who had to content themselves with the Ptolemaic framework and extrapolate a moving Earth based on that observational deficient means-

http://www2.hawaii.edu/~pine/Thesis/Chapter5.htm

After Mercury passes out of range of the C3 camera, things will go quiet for a while as most of the planets are presently at the beginning of their dawn appearance or to the right side of the Sun seen from our moving Earth.

The original heliostatic observers would have loved what satellite imaging is able to do and would have understood it easily considering how difficult it was for them to weigh considerations based on a a static field of background stars. The new perspective is not without its challenges, however, at least observers can appreciate it, even in silence as I have-

"Above all the graces and all the gifts of the Holy Spirit which Christ grants to his friends, is the grace of overcoming oneself, and accepting willingly, out of love for Christ, all suffering, injury, discomfort and contempt; for in all other gifts of God we cannot boast, seeing they proceed not from ourselves but from God, according to the words of the Apostle, "What have you that you have not received from God? and if you have received it, why do you boast as if you had not received it?" St Francis of Assisi

Re: Mercury comes into view

<36fd6fb5-a633-44a4-90e4-880753f45eeen@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7922&group=sci.astro.amateur#7922

Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2022 00:08:43 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Mercury comes into view
From: kelleher...@gmail.com (kellehe...@gmail.com)
 by: kellehe...@gmail.com - Sat, 26 Mar 2022 07:08 UTC

https://sol24.net/data/html/SOHO/C3/96H/VIDEO/

Mercury is moving behind the Sun from right to left just as Jupiter was a week or so ago. The reason that Jupiter appeared to move from left to right is because the Earth moves faster so, in a line-of-sight judgment, it moved from an evening to morning appearance from the surface of our planet while Mercury is now transitioning to an evening appearance after its period at dawn.

". . . The ancient hypotheses have clearly failed to account for certain important matters. For example, they do not comprehend the causes of the numbers, extents and durations of the retrogradations and of their agreeing so well with the position and mean motion of the sun. Copernicus alone gives an explanation of those things that provoke astonishment among other astronomers, thus destroying the source of astonishment, which lies in the ignorance of the causes. " Johannes Kepler, 1596

I don't believe that readers find the new perspective joyless, after all, the ability to look into the heliostatic using a satellite that is free from daily rotational influences is a genuine advancement in solar system research. It is clear that the older terms of direct/retrograde motion for the faster moving Venus and Mercury are different in this perspective than the direct/retrograde perspectives which the first heliostatic researchers used as part of thew Ptolemaic framework.

Because of its home in observational astronomy, the appreciation is only really suitable for the internet era rather than a book or a paper as it relies heavily on time lapse and graphics which model interpretation in an easy way. Anyone who promotes the new perspective des[ite their previous views will be among the first in humanity to understand its relevance in a world that needs something new and creative.

Re: Mercury comes into view

<6ee7221c-5422-4cc2-99df-3d2d5f88836fn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7964&group=sci.astro.amateur#7964

Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2022 05:29:20 -0700 (PDT)
From: kelleher...@gmail.com (kellehe...@gmail.com)
 by: kellehe...@gmail.com - Sun, 3 Apr 2022 12:29 UTC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2uCtot1aDg

Mercury is currently passing behind the Sun and displaying its light hemisphere to our slower moving perspective. It is almost as bright as Venus as it passes behind the Sun for the reason that it is closer to us when it does so while Venus is much further from the Sun when it passes behind it from our perspective.

https://sol24.net/data/html/SOHO/C3/96H/VIDEO/

When Venus passes between the Earth and the central Sun, it is many times brighter than Mercury as Venus is closer to us and Mercury's arc of motion is much more acute in comparison to the wider sweep of Venus. When Mercury returns in a number of weeks, it will be barely discernible against the background stars.

Thanks to those who have allowed the perspectives to flourish and look forward to seeing others add to the genuine observational pleasure.

Re: Mercury comes into view

<37593d53-8526-408b-92e2-f4af18ea9f46n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=8141&group=sci.astro.amateur#8141

Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 12:28:29 -0700 (PDT)
From: kelleher...@gmail.com (kellehe...@gmail.com)
 by: kellehe...@gmail.com - Thu, 12 May 2022 19:28 UTC

Mercury is about to make a return journey between the slower moving Earth and the central Sun in retrograde motion-

https://sol24.net/data/html/SOHO/C3/96H/VIDEO/

As Mercury moves faster than the Earth, it will be registered as a backward motion against the background stars yet, unlike the stationary field of background stars where direct/retrogrades of the slower moving outer planet seen from a faster moving Earth, the stars change position from left to right as the major input for the faster moving inner planets in setting the Sun up as a stationary/central reference.

https://www.theplanetstoday.com/

Re: Mercury comes into view

<18c0592f-ac91-4870-b166-c532eb0264een@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=8142&group=sci.astro.amateur#8142

Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 22:15:52 -0700 (PDT)
From: csok...@gmail.com (StarDust)
 by: StarDust - Fri, 13 May 2022 05:15 UTC

On Friday, March 25, 2022 at 2:13:13 PM UTC-7, kellehe...@gmail.com wrote:
> https://sol24.net/data/html/SOHO/C3/96H/VIDEO/
>
> https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbLaunch/whereIsWebb.html
>
> The Terran system on the website provides an excellent graphic of what is actually happening in the time lapse as seen from a satellite tracking with the Earth around the Sun.
>
> I so admire the original heliostatic researchers who had to content themselves with the Ptolemaic framework and extrapolate a moving Earth based on that observational deficient means-
>
> http://www2.hawaii.edu/~pine/Thesis/Chapter5.htm
>
> After Mercury passes out of range of the C3 camera, things will go quiet for a while as most of the planets are presently at the beginning of their dawn appearance or to the right side of the Sun seen from our moving Earth.
>
> The original heliostatic observers would have loved what satellite imaging is able to do and would have understood it easily considering how difficult it was for them to weigh considerations based on a a static field of background stars. The new perspective is not without its challenges, however, at least observers can appreciate it, even in silence as I have-
>
> "Above all the graces and all the gifts of the Holy Spirit which Christ grants to his friends, is the grace of overcoming oneself, and accepting willingly, out of love for Christ, all suffering, injury, discomfort and contempt; for in all other gifts of God we cannot boast, seeing they proceed not from ourselves but from God, according to the words of the Apostle, "What have you that you have not received from God? and if you have received it, why do you boast as if you had not received it?" St Francis of Assisi

Oy vey!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFQuiKLPS6A

Re: Mercury comes into view

<c3fe1740-6ed2-4a10-96b5-765a5b673f4en@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=8144&group=sci.astro.amateur#8144

Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 22:45:43 -0700 (PDT)
From: csok...@gmail.com (StarDust)
 by: StarDust - Fri, 13 May 2022 05:45 UTC

On Saturday, March 26, 2022 at 12:08:45 AM UTC-7, kellehe...@gmail.com wrote:
> https://sol24.net/data/html/SOHO/C3/96H/VIDEO/
>
> Mercury is moving behind the Sun from right to left just as Jupiter was a week or so ago. The reason that Jupiter appeared to move from left to right is because the Earth moves faster so, in a line-of-sight judgment, it moved from an evening to morning appearance from the surface of our planet while Mercury is now transitioning to an evening appearance after its period at dawn.
>
> ". . . The ancient hypotheses have clearly failed to account for certain important matters. For example, they do not comprehend the causes of the numbers, extents and durations of the retrogradations and of their agreeing so well with the position and mean motion of the sun. Copernicus alone gives an explanation of those things that provoke astonishment among other astronomers, thus destroying the source of astonishment, which lies in the ignorance of the causes. " Johannes Kepler, 1596
>
> I don't believe that readers find the new perspective joyless, after all, the ability to look into the heliostatic using a satellite that is free from daily rotational influences is a genuine advancement in solar system research. It is clear that the older terms of direct/retrograde motion for the faster moving Venus and Mercury are different in this perspective than the direct/retrograde perspectives which the first heliostatic researchers used as part of thew Ptolemaic framework.
>
> Because of its home in observational astronomy, the appreciation is only really suitable for the internet era rather than a book or a paper as it relies heavily on time lapse and graphics which model interpretation in an easy way. Anyone who promotes the new perspective des[ite their previous views will be among the first in humanity to understand its relevance in a world that needs something new and creative.

Meanwhile, another STAR is born!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuedeuV9WrA