Intel CPUs are not defective, they just act that way. -- Henry Spencer

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Re: Floor Pumps

SubjectAuthor
* Floor PumpsTom Kunich
`* Re: Floor PumpsAMuzi
 +* Re: Floor PumpsAndre Jute
 |`- Re: Floor PumpsTom Kunich
 +* Re: Floor PumpsTom Kunich
 |`* Re: Floor PumpsAMuzi
 | +* Re: Floor PumpsTom Kunich
 | |`- Re: Floor Pumpsfunkma...@hotmail.com
 | +* Re: Floor PumpsJeff Liebermann
 | |+- Re: Floor PumpsRadey Shouman
 | |`* Re: Floor PumpsJohn B.
 | | `- Re: Floor PumpsJeff Liebermann
 | `- Re: Floor Pumpsfunkma...@hotmail.com
 `- Re: Floor PumpsLou Holtman

1
Floor Pumps

<341ccf36-38d2-4d81-8294-9260d287087bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=81381&group=rec.bicycles.tech#81381

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 11 May 2023 08:01:53 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Floor Pumps
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Thu, 11 May 2023 15:01 UTC

I remember back in olden days when Silca made floor punps that had a head on them that had a sliding section on them so that all of the tension of the seal against the Presta valve would be removed so that you could insert or remove the head without any tension on the rubber seal and it would last a very long time. Now Silca no longer makes this pump head and the ones they do make pretty quickly start wearing the rubber seal and you have to replace it. There is even one company that is selling these seals 10 to a packet..

Most of the pump heads I've used are equally unusable being made to handle several types of innertube heads but none well.

Along comes Jaco with a patented pump head. In their advertisement it appears that if you push on the back of the pump head that it releases the tension allowing you to install or release saving you pushing the pump head on or pulling it off.

WRONG! The back of the pump head is fixed. The pump head does slip right on without any friction but you have to pull it off like the Silca so that the Presta threads rapidly cut away at the seal.

Is this something that the vast number of inventors can't copy the original Silca head?

Re: Floor Pumps

<u3j3hq$150a6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=81385&group=rec.bicycles.tech#81385

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Floor Pumps
Date: Thu, 11 May 2023 11:01:58 -0500
 by: AMuzi - Thu, 11 May 2023 16:01 UTC

On 5/11/2023 10:01 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> I remember back in olden days when Silca made floor punps that had a head on them that had a sliding section on them so that all of the tension of the seal against the Presta valve would be removed so that you could insert or remove the head without any tension on the rubber seal and it would last a very long time. Now Silca no longer makes this pump head and the ones they do make pretty quickly start wearing the rubber seal and you have to replace it. There is even one company that is selling these seals 10 to a packet.
>
> Most of the pump heads I've used are equally unusable being made to handle several types of innertube heads but none well.
>
> Along comes Jaco with a patented pump head. In their advertisement it appears that if you push on the back of the pump head that it releases the tension allowing you to install or release saving you pushing the pump head on or pulling it off.
>
> WRONG! The back of the pump head is fixed. The pump head does slip right on without any friction but you have to pull it off like the Silca so that the Presta threads rapidly cut away at the seal.
>
> Is this something that the vast number of inventors can't copy the original Silca head?

Silca made just about every variant over the years.
The classic #74 with big us quarter size seal, the smaller
#323 seal, a reversible PV-SV type (with lousy screw-on for
SV), a wire-bail locking style and most of those in both
brass and aluminum.

Some shown here:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/pumpbits.html

There exist very nice ($$$) floor pump heads if you want one:
https://thecabe.com/forum/attachments/tanaka-tkp-40-pump-head-jpg.615439/

But like everything else there is performance (a tight seal)
convenience, simplicity, cost, aesthetics and
durability/maintenance, all of which people value
differently hence different products.
--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Re: Floor Pumps

<28911d4d-ad01-41db-9760-579b367f0927n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=81390&group=rec.bicycles.tech#81390

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 11 May 2023 10:11:52 -0700 (PDT)
From: fiult...@yahoo.com (Andre Jute)
 by: Andre Jute - Thu, 11 May 2023 17:11 UTC

On Thursday, May 11, 2023 at 5:04:35 PM UTC+1, AMuzi wrote:
> On 5/11/2023 10:01 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> > I remember back in olden days when Silca made floor punps that had a head on them that had a sliding section on them so that all of the tension of the seal against the Presta valve would be removed so that you could insert or remove the head without any tension on the rubber seal and it would last a very long time. Now Silca no longer makes this pump head and the ones they do make pretty quickly start wearing the rubber seal and you have to replace it. There is even one company that is selling these seals 10 to a packet.
> >
> > Most of the pump heads I've used are equally unusable being made to handle several types of innertube heads but none well.
> >
> > Along comes Jaco with a patented pump head. In their advertisement it appears that if you push on the back of the pump head that it releases the tension allowing you to install or release saving you pushing the pump head on or pulling it off.
> >
> > WRONG! The back of the pump head is fixed. The pump head does slip right on without any friction but you have to pull it off like the Silca so that the Presta threads rapidly cut away at the seal.
> >
> > Is this something that the vast number of inventors can't copy the original Silca head?
> >
> Silca made just about every variant over the years.
> The classic #74 with big us quarter size seal, the smaller
> #323 seal, a reversible PV-SV type (with lousy screw-on for
> SV), a wire-bail locking style and most of those in both
> brass and aluminum.
>
> Some shown here:
> http://www.yellowjersey.org/pumpbits.html
>
> There exist very nice ($$$) floor pump heads if you want one:
> https://thecabe.com/forum/attachments/tanaka-tkp-40-pump-head-jpg.615439/
>
> But like everything else there is performance (a tight seal)
> convenience, simplicity, cost, aesthetics and
> durability/maintenance, all of which people value
> differently hence different products.
> --
> Andrew Muzi
> <www.yellowjersey.org/>
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

I like the classic SKS Renkompressor so much that we have two. Comes with a choice of several single-format heads, and one style head with two popular holes, for Presta and Schrader valves. It clamps well and works well, and every part is available as spares, so it is infinitely rebuildable. https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/pumps/eva-sks-rennkompressor-floor-pump/

Andre Jute
German engineering lasts longer. Italian engineering is more fun, for a while. Lucas Prince of Darkness rules the British night.

Re: Floor Pumps

<67918e0b-5325-473b-aa9a-3763e1c6d857n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=81403&group=rec.bicycles.tech#81403

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 11 May 2023 13:38:35 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Thu, 11 May 2023 20:38 UTC

On Thursday, May 11, 2023 at 9:04:35 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
> On 5/11/2023 10:01 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> > I remember back in olden days when Silca made floor punps that had a head on them that had a sliding section on them so that all of the tension of the seal against the Presta valve would be removed so that you could insert or remove the head without any tension on the rubber seal and it would last a very long time. Now Silca no longer makes this pump head and the ones they do make pretty quickly start wearing the rubber seal and you have to replace it. There is even one company that is selling these seals 10 to a packet.
> >
> > Most of the pump heads I've used are equally unusable being made to handle several types of innertube heads but none well.
> >
> > Along comes Jaco with a patented pump head. In their advertisement it appears that if you push on the back of the pump head that it releases the tension allowing you to install or release saving you pushing the pump head on or pulling it off.
> >
> > WRONG! The back of the pump head is fixed. The pump head does slip right on without any friction but you have to pull it off like the Silca so that the Presta threads rapidly cut away at the seal.
> >
> > Is this something that the vast number of inventors can't copy the original Silca head?
> >
> Silca made just about every variant over the years.
> The classic #74 with big us quarter size seal, the smaller
> #323 seal, a reversible PV-SV type (with lousy screw-on for
> SV), a wire-bail locking style and most of those in both
> brass and aluminum.
>
> Some shown here:
> http://www.yellowjersey.org/pumpbits.html
>
> There exist very nice ($$$) floor pump heads if you want one:
> https://thecabe.com/forum/attachments/tanaka-tkp-40-pump-head-jpg.615439/
>
> But like everything else there is performance (a tight seal)
> convenience, simplicity, cost, aesthetics and
> durability/maintenance, all of which people value
> differently hence different products.
The head looks promising but it should be on s standard hose. For that money why should I have to build something?

Re: Floor Pumps

<3bfa1d82-d4be-4433-98a3-3bdfa1f9a9adn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=81404&group=rec.bicycles.tech#81404

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 11 May 2023 13:45:07 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Thu, 11 May 2023 20:45 UTC

On Thursday, May 11, 2023 at 10:11:54 AM UTC-7, Andre Jute wrote:
> On Thursday, May 11, 2023 at 5:04:35 PM UTC+1, AMuzi wrote:
> > On 5/11/2023 10:01 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> > > I remember back in olden days when Silca made floor punps that had a head on them that had a sliding section on them so that all of the tension of the seal against the Presta valve would be removed so that you could insert or remove the head without any tension on the rubber seal and it would last a very long time. Now Silca no longer makes this pump head and the ones they do make pretty quickly start wearing the rubber seal and you have to replace it. There is even one company that is selling these seals 10 to a packet.
> > >
> > > Most of the pump heads I've used are equally unusable being made to handle several types of innertube heads but none well.
> > >
> > > Along comes Jaco with a patented pump head. In their advertisement it appears that if you push on the back of the pump head that it releases the tension allowing you to install or release saving you pushing the pump head on or pulling it off.
> > >
> > > WRONG! The back of the pump head is fixed. The pump head does slip right on without any friction but you have to pull it off like the Silca so that the Presta threads rapidly cut away at the seal.
> > >
> > > Is this something that the vast number of inventors can't copy the original Silca head?
> > >
> > Silca made just about every variant over the years.
> > The classic #74 with big us quarter size seal, the smaller
> > #323 seal, a reversible PV-SV type (with lousy screw-on for
> > SV), a wire-bail locking style and most of those in both
> > brass and aluminum.
> >
> > Some shown here:
> > http://www.yellowjersey.org/pumpbits.html
> >
> > There exist very nice ($$$) floor pump heads if you want one:
> > https://thecabe.com/forum/attachments/tanaka-tkp-40-pump-head-jpg.615439/
> >
> > But like everything else there is performance (a tight seal)
> > convenience, simplicity, cost, aesthetics and
> > durability/maintenance, all of which people value
> > differently hence different products.
> > --
> > Andrew Muzi
> > <www.yellowjersey.org/>
> > Open every day since 1 April, 1971
> >
> I like the classic SKS Renkompressor so much that we have two. Comes with a choice of several single-format heads, and one style head with two popular holes, for Presta and Schrader valves. It clamps well and works well, and every part is available as spares, so it is infinitely rebuildable. https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/pumps/eva-sks-rennkompressor-floor-pump/
> >
> Andre Jute
> German engineering lasts longer. Italian engineering is more fun, for a while. Lucas Prince of Darkness rules the British night.

I bought a Velowurks and it never operated well. So I got a Silca track pump as a backup and spare washers

Re: Floor Pumps

<u3jk8l$16t2o$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=81407&group=rec.bicycles.tech#81407

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 11 May 2023 15:47:17 -0500
 by: AMuzi - Thu, 11 May 2023 20:47 UTC

On 5/11/2023 3:38 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> On Thursday, May 11, 2023 at 9:04:35 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
>> On 5/11/2023 10:01 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
>>> I remember back in olden days when Silca made floor punps that had a head on them that had a sliding section on them so that all of the tension of the seal against the Presta valve would be removed so that you could insert or remove the head without any tension on the rubber seal and it would last a very long time. Now Silca no longer makes this pump head and the ones they do make pretty quickly start wearing the rubber seal and you have to replace it. There is even one company that is selling these seals 10 to a packet.
>>>
>>> Most of the pump heads I've used are equally unusable being made to handle several types of innertube heads but none well.
>>>
>>> Along comes Jaco with a patented pump head. In their advertisement it appears that if you push on the back of the pump head that it releases the tension allowing you to install or release saving you pushing the pump head on or pulling it off.
>>>
>>> WRONG! The back of the pump head is fixed. The pump head does slip right on without any friction but you have to pull it off like the Silca so that the Presta threads rapidly cut away at the seal.
>>>
>>> Is this something that the vast number of inventors can't copy the original Silca head?
>>>
>> Silca made just about every variant over the years.
>> The classic #74 with big us quarter size seal, the smaller
>> #323 seal, a reversible PV-SV type (with lousy screw-on for
>> SV), a wire-bail locking style and most of those in both
>> brass and aluminum.
>>
>> Some shown here:
>> http://www.yellowjersey.org/pumpbits.html
>>
>> There exist very nice ($$$) floor pump heads if you want one:
>> https://thecabe.com/forum/attachments/tanaka-tkp-40-pump-head-jpg.615439/
>>
>> But like everything else there is performance (a tight seal)
>> convenience, simplicity, cost, aesthetics and
>> durability/maintenance, all of which people value
>> differently hence different products.
> The head looks promising but it should be on s standard hose. For that money why should I have to build something?

The standard practice is to snip the hose, push the barb
inside and secure with a 95c stainless hose clamp.

Or in England a jubilee clamp. Or in a trailer park a ziptie.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Re: Floor Pumps

<c7f4054f-77e7-47a2-8a0f-800767838b69n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=81410&group=rec.bicycles.tech#81410

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 11 May 2023 13:58:23 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Thu, 11 May 2023 20:58 UTC

On Thursday, May 11, 2023 at 1:47:22 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
> On 5/11/2023 3:38 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:

> >> Silca made just about every variant over the years.
> >> The classic #74 with big us quarter size seal, the smaller
> >> #323 seal, a reversible PV-SV type (with lousy screw-on for
> >> SV), a wire-bail locking style and most of those in both
> >> brass and aluminum.
> >>
> >> Some shown here:
> >> http://www.yellowjersey.org/pumpbits.html
> >>
> >> There exist very nice ($$$) floor pump heads if you want one:
> >> https://thecabe.com/forum/attachments/tanaka-tkp-40-pump-head-jpg.615439/
> >>
> >> But like everything else there is performance (a tight seal)
> >> convenience, simplicity, cost, aesthetics and
> >> durability/maintenance, all of which people value
> >> differently hence different products.
> > The head looks promising but it should be on s standard hose. For that money why should I have to build something?
> >
> The standard practice is to snip the hose, push the barb
> inside and secure with a 95c stainless hose clamp.
>
> Or in England a jubilee clamp. Or in a trailer park a ziptie.
> --
> Andrew Muzi
> <www.yellowjersey.org/>
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971
Well I am aware of trailer park practices. Remember, Flunky is here.

Re: Floor Pumps

<f301d8d2-bab1-4144-9c51-4d96ae705affn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=81411&group=rec.bicycles.tech#81411

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 11 May 2023 13:59:24 -0700 (PDT)
From: lou.holt...@gmail.com (Lou Holtman)
 by: Lou Holtman - Thu, 11 May 2023 20:59 UTC

On Thursday, May 11, 2023 at 6:04:35 PM UTC+2, AMuzi wrote:
> On 5/11/2023 10:01 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> > I remember back in olden days when Silca made floor punps that had a head on them that had a sliding section on them so that all of the tension of the seal against the Presta valve would be removed so that you could insert or remove the head without any tension on the rubber seal and it would last a very long time. Now Silca no longer makes this pump head and the ones they do make pretty quickly start wearing the rubber seal and you have to replace it. There is even one company that is selling these seals 10 to a packet.
> >
> > Most of the pump heads I've used are equally unusable being made to handle several types of innertube heads but none well.
> >
> > Along comes Jaco with a patented pump head. In their advertisement it appears that if you push on the back of the pump head that it releases the tension allowing you to install or release saving you pushing the pump head on or pulling it off.
> >
> > WRONG! The back of the pump head is fixed. The pump head does slip right on without any friction but you have to pull it off like the Silca so that the Presta threads rapidly cut away at the seal.
> >
> > Is this something that the vast number of inventors can't copy the original Silca head?
> >
> Silca made just about every variant over the years.
> The classic #74 with big us quarter size seal, the smaller
> #323 seal, a reversible PV-SV type (with lousy screw-on for
> SV), a wire-bail locking style and most of those in both
> brass and aluminum.
>
> Some shown here:
> http://www.yellowjersey.org/pumpbits.html
>
> There exist very nice ($$$) floor pump heads if you want one:
> https://thecabe.com/forum/attachments/tanaka-tkp-40-pump-head-jpg.615439/

I got this one from my colleagues for my 40 year anniversary at work two years ago.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/c8t6hnBgD7sa1iLKA

That was a very nice present. Pump head works very well but because it is all metal and because of that heavy you have to position the valve horizontally otherwise you have to adjust it very tight to prevent leaking.

Lou

Re: Floor Pumps

<mc0r5i9os3dr7mogvrclktih133j2lq7nj@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=81426&group=rec.bicycles.tech#81426

From: jef...@cruzio.com (Jeff Liebermann)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 11 May 2023 17:17:56 -0700
 by: Jeff Liebermann - Fri, 12 May 2023 00:17 UTC

On Thu, 11 May 2023 15:47:17 -0500, AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:

>Or in a trailer park a ziptie.

Don't forget to buy a cable tie tool:
<https://www.google.com/search?q=cable+tie+tool&tbm=isch>
The ones that look like a gun and have adjustable tension work best. I
have two Panduit GS2B tools:
<https://www.ebay.com/p/2254938890>
<https://www.uline.com/BL_3351/Cable-Tie-Guns>

--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com
Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272

Re: Floor Pumps

<87ilcycoz7.fsf@mothra.home>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=81435&group=rec.bicycles.tech#81435

From: shou...@comcast.net (Radey Shouman)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 11 May 2023 21:34:04 -0400
sha1:ODTnfpN4XD8tAxx7D2HSc1pB9Wg=
 by: Radey Shouman - Fri, 12 May 2023 01:34 UTC

Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com> writes:

> On Thu, 11 May 2023 15:47:17 -0500, AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:
>
>>Or in a trailer park a ziptie.
>
> Don't forget to buy a cable tie tool:
> <https://www.google.com/search?q=cable+tie+tool&tbm=isch>
> The ones that look like a gun and have adjustable tension work best. I
> have two Panduit GS2B tools:
> <https://www.ebay.com/p/2254938890>
> <https://www.uline.com/BL_3351/Cable-Tie-Guns>

I use a Park BT-2 cable puller. Probably not as good as a dedicated
tool, but it works fairly well.

--

Re: Floor Pumps

<c1ar5idifk5atalab9d4puaa5gca3phcij@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=81450&group=rec.bicycles.tech#81450

From: slocom...@gmail.com (John B.)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 12 May 2023 09:46:15 +0700
 by: John B. - Fri, 12 May 2023 02:46 UTC

On Thu, 11 May 2023 17:17:56 -0700, Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com>
wrote:

>On Thu, 11 May 2023 15:47:17 -0500, AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:
>
>>Or in a trailer park a ziptie.
>
>Don't forget to buy a cable tie tool:
><https://www.google.com/search?q=cable+tie+tool&tbm=isch>
>The ones that look like a gun and have adjustable tension work best. I
>have two Panduit GS2B tools:
><https://www.ebay.com/p/2254938890>
><https://www.uline.com/BL_3351/Cable-Tie-Guns>

Or, two turns of wire and twist the ends with a pair of pliers (:-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Re: Floor Pumps

<gkgr5iduq8esik14k9kpj9n2mbmt6vuo9n@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=81465&group=rec.bicycles.tech#81465

From: jef...@cruzio.com (Jeff Liebermann)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 11 May 2023 22:02:45 -0700
 by: Jeff Liebermann - Fri, 12 May 2023 05:02 UTC

On Fri, 12 May 2023 09:46:15 +0700, John B. <slocombjb@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Thu, 11 May 2023 17:17:56 -0700, Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 11 May 2023 15:47:17 -0500, AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:
>>
>>>Or in a trailer park a ziptie.
>>
>>Don't forget to buy a cable tie tool:
>><https://www.google.com/search?q=cable+tie+tool&tbm=isch>
>>The ones that look like a gun and have adjustable tension work best. I
>>have two Panduit GS2B tools:
>><https://www.ebay.com/p/2254938890>
>><https://www.uline.com/BL_3351/Cable-Tie-Guns>
>
>Or, two turns of wire and twist the ends with a pair of pliers (:-)

The hose clamp under discussion is for a rubber air hose over a barb
on a bicycle floor pump. At up to 135 psi, a wire hose clamp will
eventually leak as the rubber softens with exposure to oils. A flat
hose clamp will be better.

I'm partial to stainless steel cable ties:
<https://www.google.com/search?q=stainless+steel+cable+ties&tbm=isch>
because the white nylon type likes to crumble with UV exposure. The
black UV resistant type are a little better. 304 stainless steel is
best:
<https://www.cabletiesandmore.com/stainless-steel-cable-ties>

You're probably going to ask why I'm so picky about a mundane cable
tie. For securing things that are accessible with both my feet on the
ground, almost anything will work because it can easily be reached for
repair. For securing coaxial cables mounted on rooftops, antenna
towers, and mountain tops, the best practice is to use what does the
job once and lasts nearly forever.

--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com
Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Re: Floor Pumps

<861522e4-b17e-4e50-9b2a-d6a577918abbn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=81469&group=rec.bicycles.tech#81469

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 12 May 2023 02:18:53 -0700 (PDT)
From: funkmast...@hotmail.com (funkma...@hotmail.com)
 by: funkma...@hotmail.co - Fri, 12 May 2023 09:18 UTC

On Thursday, May 11, 2023 at 4:58:25 PM UTC-4, Tom Kunich wrote:
> On Thursday, May 11, 2023 at 1:47:22 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:

> > > The head looks promising but it should be on s standard hose. For that money why should I have to build something?
> > >
> > The standard practice is to snip the hose, push the barb
> > inside and secure with a 95c stainless hose clamp.
> >
> > Or in England a jubilee clamp. Or in a trailer park a ziptie.
> > --

> Well I am aware of trailer park practices. Remember, Flunky is here.

If you're aware of trailer park practices it's from your own experience, Unless you want to call a 6000 sq ft home built in 1905 a 'trailer' - but that just the sort of thing a moron who can't figure out a bike pump would do.

Re: Floor Pumps

<f5890be3-36c3-4707-807e-02298ff19363n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=81470&group=rec.bicycles.tech#81470

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 12 May 2023 02:26:21 -0700 (PDT)
From: funkmast...@hotmail.com (funkma...@hotmail.com)
 by: funkma...@hotmail.co - Fri, 12 May 2023 09:26 UTC

On Thursday, May 11, 2023 at 4:47:22 PM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
> On 5/11/2023 3:38 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:

> >> Silca made just about every variant over the years.
> >> The classic #74 with big us quarter size seal, the smaller
> >> #323 seal, a reversible PV-SV type (with lousy screw-on for
> >> SV), a wire-bail locking style and most of those in both
> >> brass and aluminum.
> >>
> >> Some shown here:
> >> http://www.yellowjersey.org/pumpbits.html
> >>
> >> There exist very nice ($$$) floor pump heads if you want one:
> >> https://thecabe.com/forum/attachments/tanaka-tkp-40-pump-head-jpg.615439/
> >>
> >> But like everything else there is performance (a tight seal)
> >> convenience, simplicity, cost, aesthetics and
> >> durability/maintenance, all of which people value
> >> differently hence different products.
> > The head looks promising but it should be on s standard hose. For that money why should I have to build something?
> >
> The standard practice is to snip the hose, push the barb
> inside and secure with a 95c stainless hose clamp.
>
> Or in England a jubilee clamp. Or in a trailer park a ziptie.
> --
Class discrimination (and tommy's subsequent predictable idiot response) aside, There's nothing wrong with using zip ties in such applications. They're cheap, easy to manipulate, and do the job as well as a hose clamp in many situations without having to fumble with getting the right size range, having the thread pop (especially on smaller sizes), and trying to keep the socket head or screwdriver tip in place on smaller sizes while tightening. As Red Greene would say, "If she doesn't find you handsome she should at least find you handy".