Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2022 06:13:14 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Einstein's 1954 Belated Confession
From: pva...@yahoo.com (Pentcho Valev)
 by: Pentcho Valev - Wed, 9 Feb 2022 14:13 UTC

Albert Einstein (1954): "I consider it entirely possible that physics cannot be based upon the field concept, that is on continuous structures. Then nothing will remain of my whole castle in the air, including the theory of gravitation, but also nothing of the rest of contemporary physics." John Stachel, Einstein from 'B' to 'Z', p. 151 https://www.amazon.com/Einstein-B-Z-John-Stachel/dp/0817641432

So in 1954 Einstein considered it "entirely possible that physics cannot be based upon the field concept, that is on continuous structures" but it was too late to advance this caveat. The destruction of physics had started in 1905 - Einstein had found it profitable to base special relativity on the "continuous conception of the field":

"The two first articles (January and March) establish clearly a discontinuous structure of matter and light. The standard look of Einstein's SR is, on the contrary, essentially based on the continuous conception of the field." http://arxiv.org/ftp/physics/papers/0101/0101109.pdf

"Einstein's March paper treated light as particles, but special relativity sees light as a continuous field of waves." http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/einstein/genius/

Albert Einstein: "I introduced the principle of the constancy of the velocity of light, which I borrowed from H. A. Lorentz's theory of the stationary luminiferous ether." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorentz_ether_theory

Banesh Hoffmann, Relativity and Its Roots, p.92: "Moreover, if light consists of particles, as Einstein had suggested in his paper submitted just thirteen weeks before this one, the second principle seems absurd: A stone thrown from a speeding train can do far more damage than one thrown from a train at rest; the speed of the particle is not independent of the motion of the object emitting it. And if we take light to consist of particles and assume that these particles obey Newton's laws, they will conform to Newtonian relativity and thus automatically account for the null result of the Michelson-Morley experiment without recourse to contracting lengths, local time, or Lorentz transformations. Yet, as we have seen, Einstein resisted the temptation to account for the null result in terms of particles of light and simple, familiar Newtonian ideas, and introduced as his second postulate something that was more or less obvious when thought of in terms of waves in an ether. If it was so obvious, though, why did he need to state it as a principle? Because, having taken from the idea of light waves in the ether the one aspect that he needed, he declared early in his paper, to quote his own words, that "the introduction of a 'luminiferous ether' will prove to be superfluous." https://www.amazon.com/Relativity-Its-Roots-Banesh-Hoffmann/dp/0486406768

John Norton: "Einstein could not see how to formulate a fully relativistic electrodynamics merely using his new device of field transformations. So he considered the possibility of modifying Maxwell's electrodynamics in order to bring it into accord with an emission theory of light, such as Newton had originally conceived. There was some inevitability in these attempts, as long as he held to classical (Galilean) kinematics. Imagine that some emitter sends out a light beam at c. According to this kinematics, an observer who moves past at v in the opposite direction, will see the emitter moving at v and the light emitted at c+v. This last fact is the defining characteristic of an emission theory of light: the velocity of the emitter is added vectorially to the velocity of light emitted. [...] If an emission theory can be formulated as a field theory, it would seem to be unable to determine the future course of processes from their state in the present. As long as Einstein expected a viable theory of light, electricity and magnetism to be a field theory, these sorts of objections would render an emission theory of light inadmissible." http://www.pitt.edu/~jdnorton/papers/companion.pdf

That is, Einstein killed physics by "borrowing" his fundamental (constant-speed-of-light) axiom from the theory of the nonexistent ether and ignoring the correct Newtonian (variable-speed-of-light) alternative confirmed by the Michelson-Morley experiment.

See more here: https://twitter.com/pentcho_valev

Pentcho Valev

Re: Einstein's 1954 Belated Confession

<su0tak$1q55$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=81516&group=sci.physics.relativity#81516

From: sto...@nbee.ca (Stone Rada)
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Subject: Re: Einstein's 1954 Belated Confession
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2022 17:23:32 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Stone Rada - Wed, 9 Feb 2022 17:23 UTC

Pentcho Valev wrote:

> That is, Einstein killed physics by "borrowing" his fundamental
> (constant-speed-of-light) axiom from the theory of the nonexistent ether
> and ignoring the correct Newtonian (variable-speed-of-light) alternative
> confirmed by the Michelson-Morley experiment.

another thing I'd like to stress, when a capitalist seems less evil than
another capitalist, it's time to leave that country. Go for Mexico,
Nicaragua etc.

Re: Einstein's 1954 Belated Confession

<239f0c20-6ad4-4bee-8240-ae3b15c94aa1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=81595&group=sci.physics.relativity#81595

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2022 15:07:29 -0800 (PST)
From: pva...@yahoo.com (Pentcho Valev)
 by: Pentcho Valev - Wed, 9 Feb 2022 23:07 UTC

"Emission theory, also called emitter theory or ballistic theory of light, was a competing theory for the special theory of relativity, explaining the results of the Michelson–Morley experiment of 1887. [...] The name most often associated with emission theory is Isaac Newton. In his corpuscular theory Newton visualized light "corpuscles" being thrown off from hot bodies at a nominal speed of c with respect to the emitting object, and obeying the usual laws of Newtonian mechanics, and we then expect light to be moving towards us with a speed that is offset by the speed of the distant emitter (c ± v)." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emission_theory

So in 1887 the Michelson-Morley experiment was compatible with Newton's variable speed of light, c'=c±v. The crucial question is:

Was the experiment simultaneously (in 1887) compatible with the constant speed of light, c'=c, posited by the ether theory and "borrowed" by Einstein in 1905?

It takes utmost stupidity to answer "yes", so high priests in the Einstein cult don't discuss this question. Only Banesh Hoffmann did, but his implicit answer was "no":

"Moreover, if light consists of particles, as Einstein had suggested in his paper submitted just thirteen weeks before this one, the second principle seems absurd: A stone thrown from a speeding train can do far more damage than one thrown from a train at rest; the speed of the particle is not independent of the motion of the object emitting it. And if we take light to consist of particles and assume that these particles obey Newton's laws, they will conform to Newtonian relativity and thus automatically account for the null result of the Michelson-Morley experiment without recourse to contracting lengths, local time, or Lorentz transformations. Yet, as we have seen, Einstein resisted the temptation to account for the null result in terms of particles of light and simple, familiar Newtonian ideas, and introduced as his second postulate something that was more or less obvious when thought of in terms of waves in an ether." Banesh Hoffmann, Relativity and Its Roots, p.92 https://www.amazon.com/Relativity-Its-Roots-Banesh-Hoffmann/dp/0486406768