Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2021 07:21:40 -0500
Subject: Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic,comp.ai.philosophy,sci.math
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Sat, 6 Nov 2021 12:21 UTC

On 11/5/2021 6:49 PM, Ben Bacarisse wrote:
> olcott <NoOne@NoWhere.com> writes:
>
>> As soon as we verify that the correct pure simulation of the input to
>> H(P,0) never reaches the last address of P at c50 we know that the
>> input to H(P,P) never halts thus the correctly halt status of
>> H(P,P)==0;
>
> But P(P) halts, so H(P,P) == 0 is the wrong result.

When the correct pure simulation of the actual input to the halt decider
never halts then the halt decider is necessarily correct when it reports
that its input never halts.

Disagreeing with a logical tautology is a break from reality.

A correct pure simulation is not verified on the basis of any mere
assumptions. As long as the first seven x86 instructions of the source
code of P are executed in order and the seventh instruction causes this
cycle to repeat then we know that H(P,P) performed a correct pure
simulation of its input for the entire 14 steps of this simulation.

Saying the the pure simulation is not correct on any other basis is a
break from reality.

If both P(P) halts and the input to H(P,P) never halts are established
facts (and they are) then it must be the case that P(P) and H(P,P) are
not computationally equivalent to each other.

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

minds." Einstein

Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs

<Y8KdnVycj7L4Fxv8nZ2dnUU7-RvNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=81989&group=sci.math#81989

Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2021 09:00:03 -0500
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic,comp.ai.philosophy,sci.math
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Sat, 6 Nov 2021 14:00 UTC

On 11/6/2021 7:53 AM, Malcolm McLean wrote:
> On Saturday, 6 November 2021 at 12:21:49 UTC, olcott wrote:

>>> But P(P) halts, so H(P,P) == 0 is the wrong result.
>> When the correct pure simulation of the actual input to the halt decider
>> never halts then the halt decider is necessarily correct when it reports
>> that its input never halts.
>>
>> Disagreeing with a logical tautology is a break from reality.
>> A correct pure simulation is not verified on the basis of any mere
>> assumptions. As long as the first seven x86 instructions of the source
>> code of P are executed in order and the seventh instruction causes this
>> cycle to repeat then we know that H(P,P) performed a correct pure
>> simulation of its input for the entire 14 steps of this simulation.
>>
> The first seven steps are indeed simulated. But the next seven steps are
> simulated by the copy of H that is called from P.

Conclusively proving that the correct pure simulation of the input to
H(P,P) never halts, thus H(P,P)==0 is correct.

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

minds." Einstein