You scratch my tape, and I'll scratch yours.

tech / sci.physics.relativity / Re: To the fierce defenders of von Soldner calculations

SubjectAuthor
* To the fierce defenders of von Soldner calculationsMaciej Wozniak
+* Re: To the fierce defenders of von Soldner calculationsRichard Hachel
|`- Re: To the fierce defenders of von Soldner calculationsMaciej Wozniak
`* Re: To the fierce defenders of von Soldner calculationsRoss A. Finlayson
 `* Re: To the fierce defenders of von Soldner calculationsOdd Bodkin
  `* Re: To the fierce defenders of von Soldner calculationsRoss A. Finlayson
   `- Re: To the fierce defenders of von Soldner calculationsOdd Bodkin

1
To the fierce defenders of von Soldner calculations

<6cf2cb63-610d-4734-a6bd-5e7d90e86aedn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=82112&group=sci.physics.relativity#82112

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2022 22:56:31 -0800 (PST)
Subject: To the fierce defenders of von Soldner calculations
From: maluwozn...@gmail.com (Maciej Wozniak)
 by: Maciej Wozniak - Tue, 15 Feb 2022 06:56 UTC

If his calculations with 0/0 are mathematically valid,
why can't they be used in GR shit (in the case of
almost-flat-spacetime, of course)?

Re: To the fierce defenders of von Soldner calculations

<Noe0YcncCiZzghruDdMC1L8wd2g@jntp>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=82118&group=sci.physics.relativity#82118

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
JNTP-HashClient: nhQFSEOH95ocAOawShGf5s7FpZM
JNTP-ThreadID: 6cf2cb63-610d-4734-a6bd-5e7d90e86aedn@googlegroups.com
JNTP-Uri: http://news2.nemoweb.net/?DataID=Noe0YcncCiZzghruDdMC1L8wd2g@jntp
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 22 11:32:57 +0000
From: r.hac...@tiscali.fr (Richard Hachel)
 by: Richard Hachel - Tue, 15 Feb 2022 11:32 UTC

Le 15/02/2022 à 07:56, Maciej Wozniak a écrit :
> If his calculations with 0/0 are mathematically valid,
> why can't they be used in GR shit (in the case of
> almost-flat-spacetime, of course)?

We must avoid fiddling with infinitesimals or zeros without understanding
what we are doing.

A division by zero is possible, but should be avoided.

Take the case of the real speed of light (and not its observable speed).

Light moves instantly.

This means that Tr=0.

The speed of light over the distance x which separates A and B is
therefore Vr=x/0.

It's just.

But we must avoid writing that in the equations.

Idem for the problem which I posed this night and which consists in using
the infinitesimal ones. You can, but you have to be very careful what you
are doing.

Let's not forget that there are two proofs that the big shots themselves
collosalles blunders with this.

Newton first, with the surface increments, and the relativists, with their
erroneous calculations of the proper time of a rocket passing through
infinitesimal speed variations.

R.H.

Re: To the fierce defenders of von Soldner calculations

<ba859c2a-8511-414d-bbf4-8388c8396216n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=82119&group=sci.physics.relativity#82119

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2022 03:51:05 -0800 (PST)
From: maluwozn...@gmail.com (Maciej Wozniak)
 by: Maciej Wozniak - Tue, 15 Feb 2022 11:51 UTC

On Tuesday, 15 February 2022 at 12:33:03 UTC+1, Richard Hachel wrote:
> Le 15/02/2022 à 07:56, Maciej Wozniak a écrit :
> > If his calculations with 0/0 are mathematically valid,
> > why can't they be used in GR shit (in the case of
> > almost-flat-spacetime, of course)?
> We must avoid fiddling with infinitesimals or zeros without understanding
> what we are doing.
>
> A division by zero is possible, but should be avoided.

Stupidity and incompetence is absolutely possible, indeed.
And it should be avoided, I agree.

Re: To the fierce defenders of von Soldner calculations

<d7d3644f-a9e4-44e9-a9ea-9648dbc25c23n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=82189&group=sci.physics.relativity#82189

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2022 14:26:14 -0800 (PST)
From: ross.fin...@gmail.com (Ross A. Finlayson)
 by: Ross A. Finlayson - Tue, 15 Feb 2022 22:26 UTC

On Monday, February 14, 2022 at 10:56:33 PM UTC-8, maluw...@gmail.com wrote:
> If his calculations with 0/0 are mathematically valid,
> why can't they be used in GR shit (in the case of
> almost-flat-spacetime, of course)?

Euh, don't confuse the meromorphic with the undefined.

Singularity theory and monodromy, basically make for well-defined
both the usually linearly invariant, the highly non-linear, and the
quasi-invariant, which work out for the Democritan, atomic, that
the 25 orders down atoms and 50 orders down superstrings, have
what results as parastatistics, in the milieu or the mesoscale, what
reflect the ensemble, for the centralizing and uniformizing, with also
a usual well-defined real wave equation and parallel transport, the
instanton/soliton/"totaliton", for the point/local/global/total, that is
basically simple to explain and easy to understand.

Consider reading the preface to Peeble's "Principles of Physical Cosmology",
then ignore the rest.

Re: To the fierce defenders of von Soldner calculations

<suiuch$1qj7$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=82212&group=sci.physics.relativity#82212

From: bodkin...@gmail.com (Odd Bodkin)
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2022 13:32:01 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Odd Bodkin - Wed, 16 Feb 2022 13:32 UTC

Ross A. Finlayson <ross.finlayson@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Monday, February 14, 2022 at 10:56:33 PM UTC-8, maluw...@gmail.com wrote:
>> If his calculations with 0/0 are mathematically valid,
>> why can't they be used in GR shit (in the case of
>> almost-flat-spacetime, of course)?
>
> Euh, don't confuse the meromorphic with the undefined.
>
> Singularity theory and monodromy, basically make for well-defined
> both the usually linearly invariant, the highly non-linear, and the
> quasi-invariant, which work out for the Democritan, atomic, that
> the 25 orders down atoms and 50 orders down superstrings, have
> what results as parastatistics, in the milieu or the mesoscale, what
> reflect the ensemble, for the centralizing and uniformizing, with also
> a usual well-defined real wave equation and parallel transport, the
> instanton/soliton/"totaliton", for the point/local/global/total, that is
> basically simple to explain and easy to understand.
>
> Consider reading the preface to Peeble's "Principles of Physical Cosmology",
> then ignore the rest.

I have Peebles’ book. Let me fetch it. What did you have in mind there?

Re: To the fierce defenders of von Soldner calculations

<40f08674-2826-4e24-84fa-9527dd891defn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=82215&group=sci.physics.relativity#82215

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2022 06:13:07 -0800 (PST)
From: ross.fin...@gmail.com (Ross A. Finlayson)
 by: Ross A. Finlayson - Wed, 16 Feb 2022 14:13 UTC

On Wednesday, February 16, 2022 at 5:32:04 AM UTC-8, bodk...@gmail.com wrote:
> Ross A. Finlayson <ross.fi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Monday, February 14, 2022 at 10:56:33 PM UTC-8, maluw...@gmail.com wrote:
> >> If his calculations with 0/0 are mathematically valid,
> >> why can't they be used in GR shit (in the case of
> >> almost-flat-spacetime, of course)?
> >
> > Euh, don't confuse the meromorphic with the undefined.
> >
> > Singularity theory and monodromy, basically make for well-defined
> > both the usually linearly invariant, the highly non-linear, and the
> > quasi-invariant, which work out for the Democritan, atomic, that
> > the 25 orders down atoms and 50 orders down superstrings, have
> > what results as parastatistics, in the milieu or the mesoscale, what
> > reflect the ensemble, for the centralizing and uniformizing, with also
> > a usual well-defined real wave equation and parallel transport, the
> > instanton/soliton/"totaliton", for the point/local/global/total, that is
> > basically simple to explain and easy to understand.
> >
> > Consider reading the preface to Peeble's "Principles of Physical Cosmology",
> > then ignore the rest.
> >

> I have Peebles’ book. Let me fetch it. What did you have in mind there?
>
> --
> Odd Bodkin -- maker of fine toys, tools, tables

Steady State / Big Bang:
revisit Hubble.

Today we know that our local red-shifting what-was-the-limits
is beyond that pretty much isotropic, LaniaKea supercluster,
one big jet.

Peebles is pretty great.

How about a copy of "Physical Processes in the Interstellar Medium"?

The point is that Peeble's introduction, provides a grain of salt.

Re: To the fierce defenders of von Soldner calculations

<suj32b$cgi$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=82220&group=sci.physics.relativity#82220

From: bodkin...@gmail.com (Odd Bodkin)
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2022 14:51:55 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Odd Bodkin - Wed, 16 Feb 2022 14:51 UTC

Ross A. Finlayson <ross.finlayson@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 16, 2022 at 5:32:04 AM UTC-8, bodk...@gmail.com wrote:
>> Ross A. Finlayson <ross.fi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Euh, don't confuse the meromorphic with the undefined.
>>>
>>> Singularity theory and monodromy, basically make for well-defined
>>> both the usually linearly invariant, the highly non-linear, and the
>>> quasi-invariant, which work out for the Democritan, atomic, that
>>> the 25 orders down atoms and 50 orders down superstrings, have
>>> what results as parastatistics, in the milieu or the mesoscale, what
>>> reflect the ensemble, for the centralizing and uniformizing, with also
>>> a usual well-defined real wave equation and parallel transport, the
>>> instanton/soliton/"totaliton", for the point/local/global/total, that is
>>> basically simple to explain and easy to understand.
>>>
>>> Consider reading the preface to Peeble's "Principles of Physical Cosmology",
>>> then ignore the rest.
>>>

>> I have Peebles’ book. Let me fetch it. What did you have in mind there?
>>
>> --
>> Odd Bodkin -- maker of fine toys, tools, tables
>
> Steady State / Big Bang:
> revisit Hubble.
>
> Today we know that our local red-shifting what-was-the-limits
> is beyond that pretty much isotropic, LaniaKea supercluster,
> one big jet.
>
> Peebles is pretty great.
>
> How about a copy of "Physical Processes in the Interstellar Medium"?
>

> The point is that Peeble's introduction, provides a grain of salt.

Grain of salt of what? Maybe you could cite what he said of particular
interest to you in that preface.