EARTH smog | bricks AIR -- mud -- FIRE soda water | tequila WATER

tech / sci.electronics.design / PIN diode appnote

SubjectAuthor
* PIN diode appnotejlarkin
`* Re: PIN diode appnoteAnthony William Sloman
 `* Re: PIN diode appnoteJohn Walliker
  `* Re: PIN diode appnotejlarkin
   `* Re: PIN diode appnoteAnthony William Sloman
    `* Re: PIN diode appnoteRich S
     `- Re: PIN diode appnoteAnthony William Sloman

1
PIN diode appnote

<l0k2pg5vifs01glstdkhh99ga21b2qd95u@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=82417&group=sci.electronics.design#82417

From: jlar...@highlandsniptechnology.com
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: PIN diode appnote
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 10:15:13 -0800
 by: jlar...@highlandsniptechnology.com - Sun, 14 Nov 2021 18:15 UTC

https://www.microsemi.com/document-portal/doc_view/134814-micronote-701-pin-diode-fundamentals

Of course, given that this is an RF appnote, it's wrong.

Interesting pattern: clumsy font changes are flags for errors.

--

Father Brown's figure remained quite dark and still;
but in that instant he had lost his head. His head was

Re: PIN diode appnote

<239faa8c-3037-4894-a501-9588524fe91bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=82438&group=sci.electronics.design#82438

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 13:57:17 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: PIN diode appnote
From: bill.slo...@ieee.org (Anthony William Sloman)
 by: Anthony William Slom - Sun, 14 Nov 2021 21:57 UTC

On Monday, November 15, 2021 at 5:15:22 AM UTC+11, jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
> https://www.microsemi.com/document-portal/doc_view/134814-micronote-701-pin-diode-fundamentals
>

> Of course, given that this is an RF appnote, it's wrong.
>
> Interesting pattern: clumsy font changes are flags for errors.

The font changes I could see were for the equations, which include subscripted greek characters.

As usual, John Larkin hasn't told us what the errors are - they aren't obvious to me. Maybe his brain switches off when it sees an equation.

They use resistance where they clearly mean impedance, but John Larkin does too.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: PIN diode appnote

<9d8d80d8-f2bb-4926-8b24-7a2ae72ecf41n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=82452&group=sci.electronics.design#82452

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 15:39:06 -0800 (PST)
From: jrwalli...@gmail.com (John Walliker)
 by: John Walliker - Sun, 14 Nov 2021 23:39 UTC

On Sunday, 14 November 2021 at 21:57:22 UTC, bill....@ieee.org wrote:
> On Monday, November 15, 2021 at 5:15:22 AM UTC+11, jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
> > https://www.microsemi.com/document-portal/doc_view/134814-micronote-701-pin-diode-fundamentals
> >

> > Of course, given that this is an RF appnote, it's wrong.
> >
> > Interesting pattern: clumsy font changes are flags for errors.
> The font changes I could see were for the equations, which include subscripted greek characters.
>
> As usual, John Larkin hasn't told us what the errors are - they aren't obvious to me. Maybe his brain switches off when it sees an equation.
>
> They use resistance where they clearly mean impedance, but John Larkin does too.
>
> --
> Bill Sloman, Sydney

A large part of that app note discusses the non-resistive elements of the impedance.
It seem quite well written to me. I'm really not that concerned about a few minor
problems with consistency of fonts.

John

Re: PIN diode appnote

<06b3pgtrv7o4va5ck161snnm9sbt7uu96r@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=82455&group=sci.electronics.design#82455

From: jlar...@highlandsniptechnology.com
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 16:42:34 -0800
 by: jlar...@highlandsniptechnology.com - Mon, 15 Nov 2021 00:42 UTC

On Sun, 14 Nov 2021 15:39:06 -0800 (PST), John Walliker
<jrwalliker@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Sunday, 14 November 2021 at 21:57:22 UTC, bill....@ieee.org wrote:
>> On Monday, November 15, 2021 at 5:15:22 AM UTC+11, jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
>> > https://www.microsemi.com/document-portal/doc_view/134814-micronote-701-pin-diode-fundamentals
>> >

>> > Of course, given that this is an RF appnote, it's wrong.
>> >
>> > Interesting pattern: clumsy font changes are flags for errors.
>> The font changes I could see were for the equations, which include subscripted greek characters.
>>
>> As usual, John Larkin hasn't told us what the errors are - they aren't obvious to me. Maybe his brain switches off when it sees an equation.
>>
>> They use resistance where they clearly mean impedance, but John Larkin does too.
>>
>> --
>> Bill Sloman, Sydney
>
>A large part of that app note discusses the non-resistive elements of the impedance.
>It seem quite well written to me. I'm really not that concerned about a few minor
>problems with consistency of fonts.
>
>John

How about consistency of units?

--

Father Brown's figure remained quite dark and still;
but in that instant he had lost his head. His head was
always most valuable when he had lost it.

Re: PIN diode appnote

<fe26979d-0f58-45ba-b484-d4d09694396an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=82456&group=sci.electronics.design#82456

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 17:07:06 -0800 (PST)
From: bill.slo...@ieee.org (Anthony William Sloman)
 by: Anthony William Slom - Mon, 15 Nov 2021 01:07 UTC

On Monday, November 15, 2021 at 11:42:43 AM UTC+11, jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Nov 2021 15:39:06 -0800 (PST), John Walliker
> <jrwal...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> The font changes I could see were for the equations, which include subscripted greek characters.
> >>
> >> As usual, John Larkin hasn't told us what the errors are - they aren't obvious to me. Maybe his brain switches off when it sees an equation.
> >>
> >> They use resistance where they clearly mean impedance, but John Larkin does too.
> >
> >A large part of that app note discusses the non-resistive elements of the impedance.
> >It seem quite well written to me. I'm really not that concerned about a few minor
> >problems with consistency of fonts.
>
> How about consistency of units?

Do tell us which units you imagine to be inconsistent. You are starting to sound remarkably like Flyguy and John Doe.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: PIN diode appnote

<eabaa3a1-4323-4c16-87c6-d0bbe2e2530fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=84499&group=sci.electronics.design#84499

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2021 16:42:01 -0800 (PST)
From: richsuli...@gmail.com (Rich S)
 by: Rich S - Sat, 11 Dec 2021 00:42 UTC

On Monday, November 15, 2021 at 1:07:10 AM UTC, bill....@ieee.org wrote:
> On Monday, November 15, 2021 at 11:42:43 AM UTC+11, jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
> > On Sun, 14 Nov 2021 15:39:06 -0800 (PST), John Walliker
> > <jrwal...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > >A large part of that app note discusses the non-resistive elements of the impedance.
> > >It seem quite well written to me. I'm really not that concerned about a few minor
> > >problems with consistency of fonts.
> >
> > How about consistency of units?
> Do tell us which units you imagine to be inconsistent. You are starting to sound remarkably like Flyguy and John Doe.
>
> --
> Bill Sloman, Sydney

Well I question this:
upper right corner of page 1:

"Resistance of the order of -0.1 Ω at 1
Amp forward bias increasing to about
10,000Ω at 1µA forward bias
represents a realistic range..."

negative ohms? the diode has a negative
resistance region?
No, not according the chart just below that
text.

= RS

Re: PIN diode appnote

<8eeb938f-196e-4038-8b00-be911b03b43en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=84502&group=sci.electronics.design#84502

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2021 17:03:03 -0800 (PST)
From: bill.slo...@ieee.org (Anthony William Sloman)
 by: Anthony William Slom - Sat, 11 Dec 2021 01:03 UTC

On Saturday, December 11, 2021 at 11:42:05 AM UTC+11, Rich S wrote:
> On Monday, November 15, 2021 at 1:07:10 AM UTC, bill....@ieee.org wrote:
> > On Monday, November 15, 2021 at 11:42:43 AM UTC+11, jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:

> > > How about consistency of units?
> > Do tell us which units you imagine to be inconsistent. You are starting to sound remarkably like Flyguy and John Doe.
> >
> > --
> > Bill Sloman, Sydney
> Well I question this:
> upper right corner of page 1:
>
> "Resistance of the order of -0.1 Ω at 1 Amp forward bias increasing to about 10,000Ω at 1µA forward bias represents a realistic range..."
>
> negative ohms? the diode has a negative resistance region? No, not according the chart just below that text.

It looks more like bad proof-reading - what was probably intended was ~0.1 Ω where the "~" implies approximately 0.1 Ω .

Application notes are marketing documents, and they are very jealous of their right to control what potential customers see, which can create problems for the engineers who have to deliver what they have promised. I got a trip to France out of that at one point - we had to change our machine so that it could deliver what I'd said it could, when our sub-contractors had initially chosen not to include as much low-pass filtering as I'd expected them to when I wrote my screed for marketing (some time before the machine specification had been nailed down).

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney