From: kem...@lysator.liu.se (Andreas Kempe)
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Subject: Re: Pentax improved astro-tracking in its cameras
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2022 16:39:41 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Andreas Kempe - Fri, 10 Jun 2022 16:39 UTC

Den 2022-06-09 skrev RichA <rander3128@gmail.com>:
> https://petapixel.com/2022/06/08/new-pentax-gps-unit-makes-it-easier-to-photograph-the-night-sky/

An interesting concept for sure, but I assume it is primarily meant to
be used when the picture is not shot through a telescope. Them talking
about having it mounted on a tripod makes it sound like we're not
talking 30 minute exposures.

I wonder if it only bases the compensation off of GPS data or whether
it can do frame by frame comparisons to detect star drift relative to
the sensor? It might not be an intended use case, but I would think
correction solely based on GPS coordinates would not be enough to
improve upon a setup where the camera is mounted to a scope doing
unguided or guided tracking.

If built-in tracking could eliminate the need for a guide scope, that
would be quite amazing.