"I have not the slightest confidence in 'spiritual manifestations.'" -- Robert G. Ingersoll

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Re: Flat tire, yesterday

SubjectAuthor
* Flat tire, yesterdayCatrike Rider
+* Re: Flat tire, yesterdayJohn B.
|+* Re: Flat tire, yesterdayCatrike Rider
||+* Re: Flat tire, yesterdayJohn B.
|||`- Re: Flat tire, yesterdayCatrike Rider
||+* Re: Flat tire, yesterdayRoger Meriman
|||+* Re: Flat tire, yesterdayCatrike Rider
|||`* Re: Flat tire, yesterdayLou Holtman
||| +- Re: Flat tire, yesterdayRoger Meriman
||| +* Re: Flat tire, yesterdayFrank Krygowski
||| `- Re: Flat tire, yesterdayTom Kunich
||`- Re: Flat tire, yesterdayAMuzi
|`- Re: Flat tire, yesterdayAMuzi
+- Re: Flat tire, yesterdayTom Kunich
`* Re: Flat tire, yesterdaypH
 +* Re: Flat tire, yesterdayCatrike Rider
 |`* Re: Flat tire, yesterdaypH
 | +- Re: Flat tire, yesterdayCatrike Rider
 | `- Re: Flat tire, yesterdayAMuzi
 `* Re: Flat tire, yesterdaySir Ridesalot
  `* Re: Flat tire, yesterdayFrank Krygowski
   +* Re: Flat tire, yesterdayTed Heise
   |`* Re: Flat tire, yesterdayAMuzi
   | `* Re: Flat tire, yesterdayFrank Krygowski
   |  `- Re: Flat tire, yesterdayTed Heise
   `- Re: Flat tire, yesterdaypH

Pages:12
Flat tire, yesterday

<83q87i95utng75q2m27hmng0u53rl0ik32@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=82778&group=rec.bicycles.tech#82778

From: solo...@drafting.not (Catrike Rider)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Flat tire, yesterday
Date: Mon, 29 May 2023 05:01:50 -0400
 by: Catrike Rider - Mon, 29 May 2023 09:01 UTC

I don't often ride on weekends or holidays unless it's a day when I
really need a ride. Yesterday, Sunday, was such a day. It was either
windy or raining, or I had other things to do, the preceding week.
Sunday was in the low 80s with low humidity and I was having a pretty
nice ride, averaging just under 13 MPH until thirty-five miles into
what was eventually, a forty-one mile ride, my left front tire went
flat.

A few years back, when my back was more limber and my fingers
steadier, I would find the leak and patch it. If it was the front
wheel, I wouldn't even take it off the bike. Nowadays, I remove the
wheel and change out the tube, but even so, the fix took the better
part of a half hour. Sitting on the asphalt, it's not wise to sit in
the grass in Florida, hunched over the wheel hurt my back and when I
got the tire on, up to pressure, and moving again, I began suffering
Sartorius muscle cramps, which has been a reoccurring problem for me
most of my life. As long as I didn't push, the cramping went away. As
a result, I could only manage a little over 11 MPH, the last six
miles. I think sitting on the ground with my legs curled up created
the problem. I could have sat with my legs out in front of me, but
that would have really hurt my back even more. Maybe, before I resumed
the ride, I should have taken a rest, relaxing in my traveling
recliner with my legs stretched out.

I never short myself on Potassium. I always have a banana for
breakfast and when I'm going to ride, I usually have a protein drink
that has magnesium. I've been putting Gatorade powder in my drinking
water too, and by that time, I was into the third 24 oz water bottle,
so I wasn't terribly dehydrated.

Getting old is a pain in the ass, but on the other hand, I'll probably
die of old age before I ever have to suffer with an electric car.

This morning, I checked out the tube and found a substantial leak on
the sidewall. I marked it and will patch it later today. I have some
other work to do on the Catrike.

Re: Flat tire, yesterday

<7vr87ip01s4crru09dl9nmg8dlkq38mjmh@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=82779&group=rec.bicycles.tech#82779

From: slocom...@gmail.com (John B.)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Flat tire, yesterday
Date: Mon, 29 May 2023 16:34:13 +0700
 by: John B. - Mon, 29 May 2023 09:34 UTC

On Mon, 29 May 2023 05:01:50 -0400, Catrike Rider
<soloman@drafting.not> wrote:

>I don't often ride on weekends or holidays unless it's a day when I
>really need a ride. Yesterday, Sunday, was such a day. It was either
>windy or raining, or I had other things to do, the preceding week.
>Sunday was in the low 80s with low humidity and I was having a pretty
>nice ride, averaging just under 13 MPH until thirty-five miles into
>what was eventually, a forty-one mile ride, my left front tire went
>flat.
>
>A few years back, when my back was more limber and my fingers
>steadier, I would find the leak and patch it. If it was the front
>wheel, I wouldn't even take it off the bike. Nowadays, I remove the
>wheel and change out the tube, but even so, the fix took the better
>part of a half hour. Sitting on the asphalt, it's not wise to sit in
>the grass in Florida, hunched over the wheel hurt my back and when I
>got the tire on, up to pressure, and moving again, I began suffering
>Sartorius muscle cramps, which has been a reoccurring problem for me
>most of my life. As long as I didn't push, the cramping went away. As
>a result, I could only manage a little over 11 MPH, the last six
>miles. I think sitting on the ground with my legs curled up created
>the problem. I could have sat with my legs out in front of me, but
>that would have really hurt my back even more. Maybe, before I resumed
>the ride, I should have taken a rest, relaxing in my traveling
>recliner with my legs stretched out.
>
>I never short myself on Potassium. I always have a banana for
>breakfast and when I'm going to ride, I usually have a protein drink
>that has magnesium. I've been putting Gatorade powder in my drinking
>water too, and by that time, I was into the third 24 oz water bottle,
>so I wasn't terribly dehydrated.
>
>Getting old is a pain in the ass, but on the other hand, I'll probably
>die of old age before I ever have to suffer with an electric car.
>
>This morning, I checked out the tube and found a substantial leak on
>the sidewall. I marked it and will patch it later today. I have some
>other work to do on the Catrike.

I've always wondered about that stuff you squirt in tires which is
supposed to prevent flats.
https://tinyurl.com/4hc2b6th
I was always tempted to try it with full size bicycle tires but never
worked up the courage, but with smaller Trike wheels it *might* work.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Re: Flat tire, yesterday

<mev87it8dngr5kt5ri65b6l4sm7b772u5b@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=82780&group=rec.bicycles.tech#82780

From: solo...@drafting.not (Catrike Rider)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 29 May 2023 06:29:20 -0400
 by: Catrike Rider - Mon, 29 May 2023 10:29 UTC

On Mon, 29 May 2023 16:34:13 +0700, John B. <slocombjb@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Mon, 29 May 2023 05:01:50 -0400, Catrike Rider
><soloman@drafting.not> wrote:
>

>>I don't often ride on weekends or holidays unless it's a day when I
>>really need a ride. Yesterday, Sunday, was such a day. It was either
>>windy or raining, or I had other things to do, the preceding week.
>>Sunday was in the low 80s with low humidity and I was having a pretty
>>nice ride, averaging just under 13 MPH until thirty-five miles into
>>what was eventually, a forty-one mile ride, my left front tire went
>>flat.
>>
>>A few years back, when my back was more limber and my fingers
>>steadier, I would find the leak and patch it. If it was the front
>>wheel, I wouldn't even take it off the bike. Nowadays, I remove the
>>wheel and change out the tube, but even so, the fix took the better
>>part of a half hour. Sitting on the asphalt, it's not wise to sit in
>>the grass in Florida, hunched over the wheel hurt my back and when I
>>got the tire on, up to pressure, and moving again, I began suffering
>>Sartorius muscle cramps, which has been a reoccurring problem for me
>>most of my life. As long as I didn't push, the cramping went away. As
>>a result, I could only manage a little over 11 MPH, the last six
>>miles. I think sitting on the ground with my legs curled up created
>>the problem. I could have sat with my legs out in front of me, but
>>that would have really hurt my back even more. Maybe, before I resumed
>>the ride, I should have taken a rest, relaxing in my traveling
>>recliner with my legs stretched out.
>>
>>I never short myself on Potassium. I always have a banana for
>>breakfast and when I'm going to ride, I usually have a protein drink
>>that has magnesium. I've been putting Gatorade powder in my drinking
>>water too, and by that time, I was into the third 24 oz water bottle,
>>so I wasn't terribly dehydrated.
>>
>>Getting old is a pain in the ass, but on the other hand, I'll probably
>>die of old age before I ever have to suffer with an electric car.
>>
>>This morning, I checked out the tube and found a substantial leak on
>>the sidewall. I marked it and will patch it later today. I have some
>>other work to do on the Catrike.
>
>I've always wondered about that stuff you squirt in tires which is
>supposed to prevent flats.
>https://tinyurl.com/4hc2b6th
>I was always tempted to try it with full size bicycle tires but never
>worked up the courage, but with smaller Trike wheels it *might* work.

I've been told that they will gunk up your tires and wheel, and
corrode the wheel. I've never tried them. I probably never will.

Re: Flat tire, yesterday

<nuv87ipjcpi4c5kbj0jnaf8odmrm0uk16i@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=82781&group=rec.bicycles.tech#82781

From: slocom...@gmail.com (John B.)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 29 May 2023 17:48:32 +0700
 by: John B. - Mon, 29 May 2023 10:48 UTC

On Mon, 29 May 2023 17:34:11 +0700, John B. <slocombjb@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Mon, 29 May 2023 06:29:20 -0400, Catrike Rider
><soloman@drafting.not> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 29 May 2023 16:34:13 +0700, John B. <slocombjb@gmail.com>
>>wrote:

>>>I've always wondered about that stuff you squirt in tires which is
>>>supposed to prevent flats.
>>>https://tinyurl.com/4hc2b6th
>>>I was always tempted to try it with full size bicycle tires but never
>>>worked up the courage, but with smaller Trike wheels it *might* work.
>>
>>I've been told that they will gunk up your tires and wheel, and
>>corrode the wheel. I've never tried them. I probably never will.

As I said, it "MIGHT" work :-)

But actually I never had a large number of flat tires. I used "sew
ups" way back and if pre glued there isn't anything that is quicker to
"fix" (actually change). When I sold that bike to a cousin the next
bike had conventional road tires and I used to carry spare inner
tubes, rolled up under the seat. Pop one side of the tire off, pull
out the inner tube, push in the new one and inflate with a CO2
charger.

In fact the most flats I ever had was when someone here started going
on about "lower pressure makes a softer ride" and I tried it... three
flats in 20 km. So I went back to my 90+ - 100psi and had few flats
since.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Re: Flat tire, yesterday

<2G%cM.2965773$l5R6.1223085@fx15.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=82782&group=rec.bicycles.tech#82782

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
From: rog...@sarlet.com (Roger Meriman)
Date: Mon, 29 May 2023 11:05:34 GMT
 by: Roger Meriman - Mon, 29 May 2023 11:05 UTC

Catrike Rider <soloman@drafting.not> wrote:
> On Mon, 29 May 2023 16:34:13 +0700, John B. <slocombjb@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 29 May 2023 05:01:50 -0400, Catrike Rider
>> <soloman@drafting.not> wrote:
>>

>>> I don't often ride on weekends or holidays unless it's a day when I
>>> really need a ride. Yesterday, Sunday, was such a day. It was either
>>> windy or raining, or I had other things to do, the preceding week.
>>> Sunday was in the low 80s with low humidity and I was having a pretty
>>> nice ride, averaging just under 13 MPH until thirty-five miles into
>>> what was eventually, a forty-one mile ride, my left front tire went
>>> flat.
>>>
>>> A few years back, when my back was more limber and my fingers
>>> steadier, I would find the leak and patch it. If it was the front
>>> wheel, I wouldn't even take it off the bike. Nowadays, I remove the
>>> wheel and change out the tube, but even so, the fix took the better
>>> part of a half hour. Sitting on the asphalt, it's not wise to sit in
>>> the grass in Florida, hunched over the wheel hurt my back and when I
>>> got the tire on, up to pressure, and moving again, I began suffering
>>> Sartorius muscle cramps, which has been a reoccurring problem for me
>>> most of my life. As long as I didn't push, the cramping went away. As
>>> a result, I could only manage a little over 11 MPH, the last six
>>> miles. I think sitting on the ground with my legs curled up created
>>> the problem. I could have sat with my legs out in front of me, but
>>> that would have really hurt my back even more. Maybe, before I resumed
>>> the ride, I should have taken a rest, relaxing in my traveling
>>> recliner with my legs stretched out.
>>>
>>> I never short myself on Potassium. I always have a banana for
>>> breakfast and when I'm going to ride, I usually have a protein drink
>>> that has magnesium. I've been putting Gatorade powder in my drinking
>>> water too, and by that time, I was into the third 24 oz water bottle,
>>> so I wasn't terribly dehydrated.
>>>
>>> Getting old is a pain in the ass, but on the other hand, I'll probably
>>> die of old age before I ever have to suffer with an electric car.
>>>
>>> This morning, I checked out the tube and found a substantial leak on
>>> the sidewall. I marked it and will patch it later today. I have some
>>> other work to do on the Catrike.
>>
>> I've always wondered about that stuff you squirt in tires which is
>> supposed to prevent flats.
>> https://tinyurl.com/4hc2b6th
>> I was always tempted to try it with full size bicycle tires but never
>> worked up the courage, but with smaller Trike wheels it *might* work.
>
> I've been told that they will gunk up your tires and wheel, and
> corrode the wheel. I've never tried them. I probably never will.

Probably more practical would be tubeless sealant either in tube, or with
tires set up tubeless latter would require possibly new rims/wheels plus
tires but gives best results, the tubes do work though not brilliant so I
felt that self sealing tubes just made more mess and so on than worth it
for the results.

Looks like the trike already run touring type tires which are fairly tough
to puncture anyway so possibly just one of those things.

I run Big Apples on my commute bike which punctures generally only at the
tires end of life and then only if I’ve left it to late, I think at least
one is looking a bit ropey and might need replacing by autumn.

Roger Merriman

Re: Flat tire, yesterday

<at297i11k4l4s1butjip89tdmnd0kjamsk@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=82783&group=rec.bicycles.tech#82783

From: solo...@drafting.not (Catrike Rider)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 29 May 2023 07:28:05 -0400
 by: Catrike Rider - Mon, 29 May 2023 11:28 UTC

On Mon, 29 May 2023 17:48:32 +0700, John B. <slocombjb@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Mon, 29 May 2023 17:34:11 +0700, John B. <slocombjb@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 29 May 2023 06:29:20 -0400, Catrike Rider
>><soloman@drafting.not> wrote:

>>>I've been told that they will gunk up your tires and wheel, and
>>>corrode the wheel. I've never tried them. I probably never will.
>
>As I said, it "MIGHT" work :-)
>
>But actually I never had a large number of flat tires. I used "sew
>ups" way back and if pre glued there isn't anything that is quicker to
>"fix" (actually change). When I sold that bike to a cousin the next
>bike had conventional road tires and I used to carry spare inner
>tubes, rolled up under the seat. Pop one side of the tire off, pull
>out the inner tube, push in the new one and inflate with a CO2
>charger.
>
>In fact the most flats I ever had was when someone here started going
>on about "lower pressure makes a softer ride" and I tried it... three
>flats in 20 km. So I went back to my 90+ - 100psi and had few flats
>since.

I haven't had a flat for quite a while. I think the last several were
valve stem failures where the stem attaches to the tub. I don't check
the stem retaining nut often enough.

Re: Flat tire, yesterday

<63397i9b8gc3smtt7f1n5shjdu38lnj2ch@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=82784&group=rec.bicycles.tech#82784

From: solo...@drafting.not (Catrike Rider)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 29 May 2023 07:33:17 -0400
 by: Catrike Rider - Mon, 29 May 2023 11:33 UTC

On Mon, 29 May 2023 11:05:34 GMT, Roger Meriman <roger@sarlet.com>
wrote:

>Catrike Rider <soloman@drafting.not> wrote:
>> On Mon, 29 May 2023 16:34:13 +0700, John B. <slocombjb@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> I've always wondered about that stuff you squirt in tires which is
>>> supposed to prevent flats.
>>> https://tinyurl.com/4hc2b6th
>>> I was always tempted to try it with full size bicycle tires but never
>>> worked up the courage, but with smaller Trike wheels it *might* work.
>>
>> I've been told that they will gunk up your tires and wheel, and
>> corrode the wheel. I've never tried them. I probably never will.
>>

>Probably more practical would be tubeless sealant either in tube, or with
>tires set up tubeless latter would require possibly new rims/wheels plus
>tires but gives best results, the tubes do work though not brilliant so I
>felt that self sealing tubes just made more mess and so on than worth it
>for the results.
>
>Looks like the trike already run touring type tires which are fairly tough
>to puncture anyway so possibly just one of those things.

I use Schwalbe Marathon originals HS420s, which has a pretty tough
tread. This leak was on the sidewall. Now that I see where it was,
I'll check the tire once again. I checked all around when I had it off
and didn't feel anything, but I probably didn't check the sidewall
real good. I hope I don't find that tire flat again.

>I run Big Apples on my commute bike which punctures generally only at the
>tires end of life and then only if I’ve left it to late, I think at least
>one is looking a bit ropey and might need replacing by autumn.
>
>Roger Merriman

Re: Flat tire, yesterday

<ebccd73c-2679-4215-a741-26361e2cc8e1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=82797&group=rec.bicycles.tech#82797

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 29 May 2023 06:46:52 -0700 (PDT)
From: lou.holt...@gmail.com (Lou Holtman)
 by: Lou Holtman - Mon, 29 May 2023 13:46 UTC

On Monday, May 29, 2023 at 1:07:25 PM UTC+2, Roger Meriman wrote:
> Catrike Rider <sol...@drafting.not> wrote:
> > On Mon, 29 May 2023 16:34:13 +0700, John B. <sloc...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> >> I've always wondered about that stuff you squirt in tires which is
> >> supposed to prevent flats.
> >> https://tinyurl.com/4hc2b6th
> >> I was always tempted to try it with full size bicycle tires but never
> >> worked up the courage, but with smaller Trike wheels it *might* work.
> >
> > I've been told that they will gunk up your tires and wheel, and
> > corrode the wheel. I've never tried them. I probably never will.
> >
> Probably more practical would be tubeless sealant either in tube, or with
> tires set up tubeless latter would require possibly new rims/wheels plus
> tires but gives best results, the tubes do work though not brilliant so I
> felt that self sealing tubes just made more mess and so on than worth it
> for the results.
>
> Looks like the trike already run touring type tires which are fairly tough
> to puncture anyway so possibly just one of those things.
>
> I run Big Apples on my commute bike which punctures generally only at the
> tires end of life and then only if I’ve left it to late, I think at least
> one is looking a bit ropey and might need replacing by autumn.
>
> Roger Merriman

Just accept that you have a flat once in a while and prepare for that. This road season I haven't had a flat so far. Normally I get 1-5 flats. It would be ridiculous to take any extra measures such as running shitty flat resistant tires, liners or tubeless crap. I have no train to catch. YMMV.

Lou

Re: Flat tire, yesterday

<u52aea$1erlc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=82798&group=rec.bicycles.tech#82798

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 29 May 2023 08:47:51 -0500
 by: AMuzi - Mon, 29 May 2023 13:47 UTC

On 5/29/2023 4:34 AM, John B. wrote:
> On Mon, 29 May 2023 05:01:50 -0400, Catrike Rider
> <soloman@drafting.not> wrote:
>

>> I don't often ride on weekends or holidays unless it's a day when I
>> really need a ride. Yesterday, Sunday, was such a day. It was either
>> windy or raining, or I had other things to do, the preceding week.
>> Sunday was in the low 80s with low humidity and I was having a pretty
>> nice ride, averaging just under 13 MPH until thirty-five miles into
>> what was eventually, a forty-one mile ride, my left front tire went
>> flat.
>>
>> A few years back, when my back was more limber and my fingers
>> steadier, I would find the leak and patch it. If it was the front
>> wheel, I wouldn't even take it off the bike. Nowadays, I remove the
>> wheel and change out the tube, but even so, the fix took the better
>> part of a half hour. Sitting on the asphalt, it's not wise to sit in
>> the grass in Florida, hunched over the wheel hurt my back and when I
>> got the tire on, up to pressure, and moving again, I began suffering
>> Sartorius muscle cramps, which has been a reoccurring problem for me
>> most of my life. As long as I didn't push, the cramping went away. As
>> a result, I could only manage a little over 11 MPH, the last six
>> miles. I think sitting on the ground with my legs curled up created
>> the problem. I could have sat with my legs out in front of me, but
>> that would have really hurt my back even more. Maybe, before I resumed
>> the ride, I should have taken a rest, relaxing in my traveling
>> recliner with my legs stretched out.
>>
>> I never short myself on Potassium. I always have a banana for
>> breakfast and when I'm going to ride, I usually have a protein drink
>> that has magnesium. I've been putting Gatorade powder in my drinking
>> water too, and by that time, I was into the third 24 oz water bottle,
>> so I wasn't terribly dehydrated.
>>
>> Getting old is a pain in the ass, but on the other hand, I'll probably
>> die of old age before I ever have to suffer with an electric car.
>>
>> This morning, I checked out the tube and found a substantial leak on
>> the sidewall. I marked it and will patch it later today. I have some
>> other work to do on the Catrike.
>
> I've always wondered about that stuff you squirt in tires which is
> supposed to prevent flats.
> https://tinyurl.com/4hc2b6th
> I was always tempted to try it with full size bicycle tires but never
> worked up the courage, but with smaller Trike wheels it *might* work.

The theory is good and yes latex is usually effective for a
small simple puncture through the tread.

The downside is that one often doesn't know what that
puncture looks like without removing the tube, at which
point a patch or replacement makes more sense anyway.

For a double puncture (long object goes in and then back
out) or a sidewall puncture (latex goes mostly to the
perimeter when the wheel spins), or a chafe or a rim/spoke
related problem you have the cost of the latex, a messy
cleanup job and no resolution of the actual problem.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Re: Flat tire, yesterday

<u52aj5$1erlc$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=82799&group=rec.bicycles.tech#82799

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 29 May 2023 08:50:28 -0500
 by: AMuzi - Mon, 29 May 2023 13:50 UTC

On 5/29/2023 5:29 AM, Catrike Rider wrote:
> On Mon, 29 May 2023 16:34:13 +0700, John B. <slocombjb@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 29 May 2023 05:01:50 -0400, Catrike Rider
>> <soloman@drafting.not> wrote:
>>

>>> I don't often ride on weekends or holidays unless it's a day when I
>>> really need a ride. Yesterday, Sunday, was such a day. It was either
>>> windy or raining, or I had other things to do, the preceding week.
>>> Sunday was in the low 80s with low humidity and I was having a pretty
>>> nice ride, averaging just under 13 MPH until thirty-five miles into
>>> what was eventually, a forty-one mile ride, my left front tire went
>>> flat.
>>>
>>> A few years back, when my back was more limber and my fingers
>>> steadier, I would find the leak and patch it. If it was the front
>>> wheel, I wouldn't even take it off the bike. Nowadays, I remove the
>>> wheel and change out the tube, but even so, the fix took the better
>>> part of a half hour. Sitting on the asphalt, it's not wise to sit in
>>> the grass in Florida, hunched over the wheel hurt my back and when I
>>> got the tire on, up to pressure, and moving again, I began suffering
>>> Sartorius muscle cramps, which has been a reoccurring problem for me
>>> most of my life. As long as I didn't push, the cramping went away. As
>>> a result, I could only manage a little over 11 MPH, the last six
>>> miles. I think sitting on the ground with my legs curled up created
>>> the problem. I could have sat with my legs out in front of me, but
>>> that would have really hurt my back even more. Maybe, before I resumed
>>> the ride, I should have taken a rest, relaxing in my traveling
>>> recliner with my legs stretched out.
>>>
>>> I never short myself on Potassium. I always have a banana for
>>> breakfast and when I'm going to ride, I usually have a protein drink
>>> that has magnesium. I've been putting Gatorade powder in my drinking
>>> water too, and by that time, I was into the third 24 oz water bottle,
>>> so I wasn't terribly dehydrated.
>>>
>>> Getting old is a pain in the ass, but on the other hand, I'll probably
>>> die of old age before I ever have to suffer with an electric car.
>>>
>>> This morning, I checked out the tube and found a substantial leak on
>>> the sidewall. I marked it and will patch it later today. I have some
>>> other work to do on the Catrike.
>>
>> I've always wondered about that stuff you squirt in tires which is
>> supposed to prevent flats.
>> https://tinyurl.com/4hc2b6th
>> I was always tempted to try it with full size bicycle tires but never
>> worked up the courage, but with smaller Trike wheels it *might* work.
>
> I've been told that they will gunk up your tires and wheel, and
> corrode the wheel. I've never tried them. I probably never will.

Yes, mess and clogged valves are known.

AFAIK corrosion is not associated with latex emulsion. It
shouldn't be in contact with metals anyway when used as
directed except the inside of the valve stem.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Re: Flat tire, yesterday

<LH2dM.2979921$l5R6.524671@fx15.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=82804&group=rec.bicycles.tech#82804

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
From: rog...@sarlet.com (Roger Meriman)
Date: Mon, 29 May 2023 14:32:11 GMT
 by: Roger Meriman - Mon, 29 May 2023 14:32 UTC

Lou Holtman <lou.holtman@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Monday, May 29, 2023 at 1:07:25 PM UTC+2, Roger Meriman wrote:
>> Catrike Rider <sol...@drafting.not> wrote:

>>> I've been told that they will gunk up your tires and wheel, and
>>> corrode the wheel. I've never tried them. I probably never will.
>>>
>> Probably more practical would be tubeless sealant either in tube, or with
>> tires set up tubeless latter would require possibly new rims/wheels plus
>> tires but gives best results, the tubes do work though not brilliant so I
>> felt that self sealing tubes just made more mess and so on than worth it
>> for the results.
>>
>> Looks like the trike already run touring type tires which are fairly tough
>> to puncture anyway so possibly just one of those things.
>>
>> I run Big Apples on my commute bike which punctures generally only at the
>> tires end of life and then only if I’ve left it to late, I think at least
>> one is looking a bit ropey and might need replacing by autumn.
>>
>> Roger Merriman
>

> Just accept that you have a flat once in a while and prepare for that.
> This road season I haven't had a flat so far. Normally I get 1-5 flats.
> It would be ridiculous to take any extra measures such as running shitty
> flat resistant tires, liners or tubeless crap. I have no train to catch. YMMV.
>
> Lou

I find the big apples are fairly plush feeling tire, has durable tread but
sidewall is not armoured or supported so can and I have ripped one. But
nice feeling tire particularly for a touring/commute type tire. Plus it
will survive glass which areas of my commute are rather prone to!

Back in my road bike which is a decade ago 1/2 flats per year generally wet
days and flint shards, I’d probably not bother with tubeless for that
really.

The Gravel bike though the tires are light and supple plus have a much more
challenging surface ie many more things to puncture one’s tire! Hence going
tubeless as well it’s been much less hassle I’ve not for example had
multiple punctures in one ride!

MTB still runs tubes though about tubeless but the effort and maintenance
isn’t worth it.

Roger Merriman

Re: Flat tire, yesterday

<MH2dM.2979922$l5R6.1383460@fx15.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=82805&group=rec.bicycles.tech#82805

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
From: rog...@sarlet.com (Roger Meriman)
Date: Mon, 29 May 2023 14:32:12 GMT
 by: Roger Meriman - Mon, 29 May 2023 14:32 UTC

Catrike Rider <soloman@drafting.not> wrote:
> On Mon, 29 May 2023 11:05:34 GMT, Roger Meriman <roger@sarlet.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Catrike Rider <soloman@drafting.not> wrote:

>>> I've been told that they will gunk up your tires and wheel, and
>>> corrode the wheel. I've never tried them. I probably never will.
>>>

>> Probably more practical would be tubeless sealant either in tube, or with
>> tires set up tubeless latter would require possibly new rims/wheels plus
>> tires but gives best results, the tubes do work though not brilliant so I
>> felt that self sealing tubes just made more mess and so on than worth it
>> for the results.
>>
>> Looks like the trike already run touring type tires which are fairly tough
>> to puncture anyway so possibly just one of those things.
>
> I use Schwalbe Marathon originals HS420s, which has a pretty tough
> tread. This leak was on the sidewall. Now that I see where it was,
> I'll check the tire once again. I checked all around when I had it off
> and didn't feel anything, but I probably didn't check the sidewall
> real good. I hope I don't find that tire flat again.

They are broadly similar to what I run on the commute bike but would have
more substantial sidewalls, and thus not as plush ride but well you make
the choices and all that!

>> I run Big Apples on my commute bike which punctures generally only at the
>> tires end of life and then only if I’ve left it to late, I think at least
>> one is looking a bit ropey and might need replacing by autumn.
>>
>> Roger Merriman

Roger Merriman

Re: Flat tire, yesterday

<u52d9s$1fbo9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=82806&group=rec.bicycles.tech#82806

From: frkry...@sbcglobal.net (Frank Krygowski)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 29 May 2023 10:36:43 -0400
 by: Frank Krygowski - Mon, 29 May 2023 14:36 UTC

On 5/29/2023 9:46 AM, Lou Holtman wrote:

> Just accept that you have a flat once in a while and prepare for that. This road season I haven't had a flat so far. Normally I get 1-5 flats. It would be ridiculous to take any extra measures such as running shitty flat resistant tires, liners or tubeless crap. I have no train to catch. YMMV.

+1. It's easy enough to deal with flats. And those who avoid riding at
the roads edge get fewer flats anyway. Car tires sweep pavement clean of
most debris.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Re: Flat tire, yesterday

<1235ddcc-bbe6-45a4-a95f-bd8b23779253n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=82807&group=rec.bicycles.tech#82807

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 29 May 2023 07:38:20 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Mon, 29 May 2023 14:38 UTC

On Monday, May 29, 2023 at 2:04:21 AM UTC-7, Catrike Rider wrote:
> I don't often ride on weekends or holidays unless it's a day when I
> really need a ride. Yesterday, Sunday, was such a day. It was either
> windy or raining, or I had other things to do, the preceding week.
> Sunday was in the low 80s with low humidity and I was having a pretty
> nice ride, averaging just under 13 MPH until thirty-five miles into
> what was eventually, a forty-one mile ride, my left front tire went
> flat.
>
> A few years back, when my back was more limber and my fingers
> steadier, I would find the leak and patch it. If it was the front
> wheel, I wouldn't even take it off the bike. Nowadays, I remove the
> wheel and change out the tube, but even so, the fix took the better
> part of a half hour. Sitting on the asphalt, it's not wise to sit in
> the grass in Florida, hunched over the wheel hurt my back and when I
> got the tire on, up to pressure, and moving again, I began suffering
> Sartorius muscle cramps, which has been a reoccurring problem for me
> most of my life. As long as I didn't push, the cramping went away. As
> a result, I could only manage a little over 11 MPH, the last six
> miles. I think sitting on the ground with my legs curled up created
> the problem. I could have sat with my legs out in front of me, but
> that would have really hurt my back even more. Maybe, before I resumed
> the ride, I should have taken a rest, relaxing in my traveling
> recliner with my legs stretched out.
>
> I never short myself on Potassium. I always have a banana for
> breakfast and when I'm going to ride, I usually have a protein drink
> that has magnesium. I've been putting Gatorade powder in my drinking
> water too, and by that time, I was into the third 24 oz water bottle,
> so I wasn't terribly dehydrated.
>
> Getting old is a pain in the ass, but on the other hand, I'll probably
> die of old age before I ever have to suffer with an electric car.
>
> This morning, I checked out the tube and found a substantial leak on
> the sidewall. I marked it and will patch it later today. I have some
> other work to do on the Catrike.

I did a ride yesterday and the wind on the return trip later in the day was pretty strong. It was a 36 mile trip so I was pretty sore getting back after holding my average speed for the whole ride despite it being meant to be an easy ride.

Re: Flat tire, yesterday

<61a776e6-65fa-4438-bf00-68ae2f5496f4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=82809&group=rec.bicycles.tech#82809

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 29 May 2023 07:42:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Mon, 29 May 2023 14:42 UTC

On Monday, May 29, 2023 at 6:46:54 AM UTC-7, Lou Holtman wrote:
> On Monday, May 29, 2023 at 1:07:25 PM UTC+2, Roger Meriman wrote:
> > Catrike Rider <sol...@drafting.not> wrote:

> > > I've been told that they will gunk up your tires and wheel, and
> > > corrode the wheel. I've never tried them. I probably never will.
> > >
> > Probably more practical would be tubeless sealant either in tube, or with
> > tires set up tubeless latter would require possibly new rims/wheels plus
> > tires but gives best results, the tubes do work though not brilliant so I
> > felt that self sealing tubes just made more mess and so on than worth it
> > for the results.
> >
> > Looks like the trike already run touring type tires which are fairly tough
> > to puncture anyway so possibly just one of those things.
> >
> > I run Big Apples on my commute bike which punctures generally only at the
> > tires end of life and then only if I’ve left it to late, I think at least
> > one is looking a bit ropey and might need replacing by autumn.
> >
> > Roger Merriman
> Just accept that you have a flat once in a while and prepare for that. This road season I haven't had a flat so far. Normally I get 1-5 flats. It would be ridiculous to take any extra measures such as running shitty flat resistant tires, liners or tubeless crap. I have no train to catch. YMMV.
>
> Lou

I am pretty much of the same mind. The only reason that I put tubeless of the Moser was because I expected them to ride softer than tube tires in the 25 mm size which is the frame limit of the Moser. I think that they do accomplish that. And now that the sealant has worked into the pores of the tires, they no longer need to be pumped up every morning.

Re: Flat tire, yesterday

<l2j97i1emfmtpjg5d6ve4f6ffrafjigcmm@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=82815&group=rec.bicycles.tech#82815

From: solo...@drafting.not (Catrike Rider)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 29 May 2023 12:03:45 -0400
 by: Catrike Rider - Mon, 29 May 2023 16:03 UTC

On Mon, 29 May 2023 10:36:43 -0400, Frank Krygowski
<frkrygow@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>On 5/29/2023 9:46 AM, Lou Holtman wrote:
>>
>> Just accept that you have a flat once in a while and prepare for that. This road season I haven't had a flat so far. Normally I get 1-5 flats. It would be ridiculous to take any extra measures such as running shitty flat resistant tires, liners or tubeless crap. I have no train to catch. YMMV.
>
>+1. It's easy enough to deal with flats. And those who avoid riding at
>the roads edge get fewer flats anyway. Car tires sweep pavement clean of
>most debris.

For me, it's better to ride where there's hardly ever any debris,
"anyway." A puncture flat like yesterday is a very rare occurance for
me.

Re: Flat tire, yesterday

<ebj97ipok7vv5hbjr3kqahu8kqaf9627ka@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=82818&group=rec.bicycles.tech#82818

From: solo...@drafting.not (Catrike Rider)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 29 May 2023 12:07:52 -0400
 by: Catrike Rider - Mon, 29 May 2023 16:07 UTC

On Mon, 29 May 2023 14:32:12 GMT, Roger Meriman <roger@sarlet.com>
wrote:

>Catrike Rider <soloman@drafting.not> wrote:
>> On Mon, 29 May 2023 11:05:34 GMT, Roger Meriman <roger@sarlet.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Probably more practical would be tubeless sealant either in tube, or with
>>> tires set up tubeless latter would require possibly new rims/wheels plus
>>> tires but gives best results, the tubes do work though not brilliant so I
>>> felt that self sealing tubes just made more mess and so on than worth it
>>> for the results.
>>>
>>> Looks like the trike already run touring type tires which are fairly tough
>>> to puncture anyway so possibly just one of those things.
>>
>> I use Schwalbe Marathon originals HS420s, which has a pretty tough
>> tread. This leak was on the sidewall. Now that I see where it was,
>> I'll check the tire once again. I checked all around when I had it off
>> and didn't feel anything, but I probably didn't check the sidewall
>> real good. I hope I don't find that tire flat again.
>
>They are broadly similar to what I run on the commute bike but would have
>more substantial sidewalls, and thus not as plush ride but well you make
>the choices and all that!
>>
>>> I run Big Apples on my commute bike which punctures generally only at the
>>> tires end of life and then only if I?ve left it to late, I think at least
>>> one is looking a bit ropey and might need replacing by autumn.
>>>
>>> Roger Merriman
>>
>Roger Merriman

I don't need a plusher ride. The asphalt where I ride is pretty smooth
I pump my tires to 85PSI.

Re: Flat tire, yesterday

<u55n2r$23d6a$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=82941&group=rec.bicycles.tech#82941

From: wNOSP...@gmail.org (pH)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 20:42:03 -0000 (UTC)
 by: pH - Tue, 30 May 2023 20:42 UTC

On 2023-05-29, Catrike Rider <soloman@drafting.not> wrote:

<snip>

> A few years back, when my back was more limber and my fingers
> steadier, I would find the leak and patch it. If it was the front
> wheel, I wouldn't even take it off the bike. Nowadays, I remove the
> wheel and change out the tube, but even so, the fix took the better
> part of a half hour. Sitting on the asphalt, it's not wise to sit in
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> the grass in Florida, hunched over the wheel hurt my back and when I
> got the tire on, up to pressure, and moving again,

<snip>
Good job getting the fix in. Now we can start a pump vs. inflator
thread....

I use a Zefal HPX but that was not my topic, actually....

WHY is it not wise to sit on the grass in Florida? Is it the humidity and
wetness? Chiggers? Grass stains? Something else?

pH in Aptos, CA....as far from Florida as can be 'cept maybe Hawaii if you
stay in the US.

Re: Flat tire, yesterday

<ofqc7i5r125s7mvq6ur4stgm2ccidl20ob@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=82952&group=rec.bicycles.tech#82952

From: solo...@drafting.not (Catrike Rider)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 17:37:25 -0400
 by: Catrike Rider - Tue, 30 May 2023 21:37 UTC

On Tue, 30 May 2023 20:42:03 -0000 (UTC), pH <wNOSPAMp@gmail.org>
wrote:

>On 2023-05-29, Catrike Rider <soloman@drafting.not> wrote:
>>
><snip>
>>
>> A few years back, when my back was more limber and my fingers
>> steadier, I would find the leak and patch it. If it was the front
>> wheel, I wouldn't even take it off the bike. Nowadays, I remove the
>> wheel and change out the tube, but even so, the fix took the better
>> part of a half hour. Sitting on the asphalt, it's not wise to sit in
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> the grass in Florida, hunched over the wheel hurt my back and when I
>> got the tire on, up to pressure, and moving again,
>
><snip>
>Good job getting the fix in. Now we can start a pump vs. inflator
>thread....
>
>I use a Zefal HPX but that was not my topic, actually....

I have several pumps.. A big one that I use before every ride, and a
little one that I carry on my rides. Both have built in gauges.

>WHY is it not wise to sit on the grass in Florida? Is it the humidity and
>wetness? Chiggers? Grass stains? Something else?

Fire ants.. they're everywhere and they bite. Leave little blisters
that itch and burn

>pH in Aptos, CA....as far from Florida as can be 'cept maybe Hawaii if you
>stay in the US.

Re: Flat tire, yesterday

<u564b3$255dv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=82979&group=rec.bicycles.tech#82979

From: wNOSP...@gmail.org (pH)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 00:28:20 -0000 (UTC)
 by: pH - Wed, 31 May 2023 00:28 UTC

On 2023-05-30, Catrike Rider <soloman@drafting.not> wrote:
> On Tue, 30 May 2023 20:42:03 -0000 (UTC), pH <wNOSPAMp@gmail.org>
> wrote:
>
>>On 2023-05-29, Catrike Rider <soloman@drafting.not> wrote:
>>>
>><snip>
>>>
>>> A few years back, when my back was more limber and my fingers
>>> steadier, I would find the leak and patch it. If it was the front
>>> wheel, I wouldn't even take it off the bike. Nowadays, I remove the
>>> wheel and change out the tube, but even so, the fix took the better
>>> part of a half hour. Sitting on the asphalt, it's not wise to sit in
>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>> the grass in Florida, hunched over the wheel hurt my back and when I
>>> got the tire on, up to pressure, and moving again,
>>
>><snip>
>>Good job getting the fix in. Now we can start a pump vs. inflator
>>thread....
>>
>>I use a Zefal HPX but that was not my topic, actually....
>
> I have several pumps.. A big one that I use before every ride, and a
> little one that I carry on my rides. Both have built in gauges.
>
>>WHY is it not wise to sit on the grass in Florida? Is it the humidity and
>>wetness? Chiggers? Grass stains? Something else?
>
> Fire ants.. they're everywhere and they bite. Leave little blisters
> that itch and burn

Oh! Never thought of those but I've heard of them. In Texas, I believe.
Supposedly they are attracted to electrical boxes and will fill/ruin them.
but I might have the wrong critter...

pH

>>pH in Aptos, CA....as far from Florida as can be 'cept maybe Hawaii if you
>>stay in the US.

Re: Flat tire, yesterday

<3j5d7i5n8p4ofsnl0ce74ckpqonqqe8l3j@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=82983&group=rec.bicycles.tech#82983

From: solo...@drafting.not (Catrike Rider)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 20:39:48 -0400
 by: Catrike Rider - Wed, 31 May 2023 00:39 UTC

On Wed, 31 May 2023 00:28:20 -0000 (UTC), pH <wNOSPAMp@gmail.org>
wrote:

>On 2023-05-30, Catrike Rider <soloman@drafting.not> wrote:
>> On Tue, 30 May 2023 20:42:03 -0000 (UTC), pH <wNOSPAMp@gmail.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>On 2023-05-29, Catrike Rider <soloman@drafting.not> wrote:
>>>>
>>><snip>

>>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>>
>>><snip>
>>>Good job getting the fix in. Now we can start a pump vs. inflator
>>>thread....
>>>
>>>I use a Zefal HPX but that was not my topic, actually....
>>
>> I have several pumps.. A big one that I use before every ride, and a
>> little one that I carry on my rides. Both have built in gauges.
>>
>>>WHY is it not wise to sit on the grass in Florida? Is it the humidity and
>>>wetness? Chiggers? Grass stains? Something else?
>>
>> Fire ants.. they're everywhere and they bite. Leave little blisters
>> that itch and burn
>
>Oh! Never thought of those but I've heard of them. In Texas, I believe.
>Supposedly they are attracted to electrical boxes and will fill/ruin them.
>but I might have the wrong critter...

I never heard about fire ant problems with electrical boxes, but I
quickly learned about them in grass when I came to Florida.

>pH
>

>>>pH in Aptos, CA....as far from Florida as can be 'cept maybe Hawaii if you
>>>stay in the US.

Re: Flat tire, yesterday

<702698e4-c476-491c-ad5b-948b53ca2ab8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=82985&group=rec.bicycles.tech#82985

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 17:47:13 -0700 (PDT)
From: i_am_cyc...@yahoo.ca (Sir Ridesalot)
 by: Sir Ridesalot - Wed, 31 May 2023 00:47 UTC

On Tuesday, May 30, 2023 at 3:42:06 p.m. UTC-5, pH wrote:
> On 2023-05-29, Catrike Rider <sol...@drafting.not> wrote:
> >
> <snip>
> >
> > A few years back, when my back was more limber and my fingers
> > steadier, I would find the leak and patch it. If it was the front
> > wheel, I wouldn't even take it off the bike. Nowadays, I remove the
> > wheel and change out the tube, but even so, the fix took the better
> > part of a half hour. Sitting on the asphalt, it's not wise to sit in
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > the grass in Florida, hunched over the wheel hurt my back and when I
> > got the tire on, up to pressure, and moving again,
> <snip>
> Good job getting the fix in. Now we can start a pump vs. inflator
> thread....
>
> I use a Zefal HPX but that was not my topic, actually....
>
> WHY is it not wise to sit on the grass in Florida? Is it the humidity and
> wetness? Chiggers? Grass stains? Something else?
>
> pH in Aptos, CA....as far from Florida as can be 'cept maybe Hawaii if you
> stay in the US.

From an old Kingston Trio song EVERGLADES, "...but he better keep a movin' and don't stand still. If the skeeters don't get him the gators will".

One thing that a lot of people forget to do before putting in a patched or new tube is inspect the inside of the tire for anything that caused the puncture. A cotton ball in a patch kit is a great item to have handy for doing that check.

Cheers

Re: Flat tire, yesterday

<u565l4$25a4g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=82986&group=rec.bicycles.tech#82986

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 19:50:41 -0500
 by: AMuzi - Wed, 31 May 2023 00:50 UTC

On 5/30/2023 7:28 PM, pH wrote:
> On 2023-05-30, Catrike Rider <soloman@drafting.not> wrote:
>> On Tue, 30 May 2023 20:42:03 -0000 (UTC), pH <wNOSPAMp@gmail.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> On 2023-05-29, Catrike Rider <soloman@drafting.not> wrote:
>>>>
>>> <snip>

>>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>>
>>> <snip>
>>> Good job getting the fix in. Now we can start a pump vs. inflator
>>> thread....
>>>
>>> I use a Zefal HPX but that was not my topic, actually....
>>
>> I have several pumps.. A big one that I use before every ride, and a
>> little one that I carry on my rides. Both have built in gauges.
>>
>>> WHY is it not wise to sit on the grass in Florida? Is it the humidity and
>>> wetness? Chiggers? Grass stains? Something else?
>>
>> Fire ants.. they're everywhere and they bite. Leave little blisters
>> that itch and burn
>
> Oh! Never thought of those but I've heard of them. In Texas, I believe.
> Supposedly they are attracted to electrical boxes and will fill/ruin them.
> but I might have the wrong critter...
>
> pH
>

>>> pH in Aptos, CA....as far from Florida as can be 'cept maybe Hawaii if you
>>> stay in the US.

Right. When I worked in Texas the lizards under the big
water heaters were cute and no trouble really. Fire ants in
electrical boxes were a different thing entirely!

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Re: Flat tire, yesterday

<u56b2f$29fs8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=82993&group=rec.bicycles.tech#82993

From: frkry...@sbcglobal.net (Frank Krygowski)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 22:23:11 -0400
 by: Frank Krygowski - Wed, 31 May 2023 02:23 UTC

On 5/30/2023 8:47 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

> One thing that a lot of people forget to do before putting in a patched or new tube is inspect the inside of the tire for anything that caused the puncture. A cotton ball in a patch kit is a great item to have handy for doing that check.

I don't remember hearing the cotton ball tip before. Makes sense.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Re: Flat tire, yesterday

<slrnu7ejrm.hg8.theise@panix2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=83002&group=rec.bicycles.tech#83002

From: the...@panix.com (Ted Heise)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 13:45:26 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ted Heise - Wed, 31 May 2023 13:45 UTC

On Tue, 30 May 2023 22:23:11 -0400,
Frank Krygowski <frkrygow@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 5/30/2023 8:47 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
> > One thing that a lot of people forget to do before putting in
> > a patched or new tube is inspect the inside of the tire for
> > anything that caused the puncture. A cotton ball in a patch
> > kit is a great item to have handy for doing that check.
>
> I don't remember hearing the cotton ball tip before. Makes
> sense.

I used to use a fingertip, that is until I cut it. Now I usually
just use a bit of rag.

--
Ted Heise <theise@panix.com> West Lafayette, IN, USA

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Re: Flat tire, yesterday