From: inva...@invalid.com (Serg io)
Newsgroups: sci.math
Subject: who said these Quotes ?
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2021 10:45:43 -0600
 by: Serg io - Tue, 23 Nov 2021 16:45 UTC

A set is a Many that allows itself to be thought of as a One.

The essence of mathematics lies precisely in its freedom.

The potential infinite means nothing other than an undetermined, variable quantity, always remaining finite, which has to assume values that either
become smaller than any finite limit no matter how small, or greater than any finite limit no matter how great.

Re: who said these Quotes ?

<4ed80c7f-c07a-418c-886f-75a568e8f62an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=84141&group=sci.math#84141

Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 14:37:08 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: who said these Quotes ?
From: burse...@gmail.com (Mostowski Collapse)
 by: Mostowski Collapse - Sun, 28 Nov 2021 22:37 UTC

- Cantor

As quoted in Infinity and the Mind (1995) by Rudy Rucker.
You know thanks to google I am kind of an expert myself.

I wonder what and where the original german was?

Serg io schrieb am Dienstag, 23. November 2021 um 17:45:57 UTC+1:
> A set is a Many that allows itself to be thought of as a One.
>

> The essence of mathematics lies precisely in its freedom.
>

> The potential infinite means nothing other than an undetermined, variable quantity, always remaining finite, which has to assume values that either
> become smaller than any finite limit no matter how small, or greater than any finite limit no matter how great.

Re: who said these Quotes ?

<2a861cff-c28c-482e-9c15-bc561165cb72n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=84142&group=sci.math#84142

Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 14:38:14 -0800 (PST)
From: burse...@gmail.com (Mostowski Collapse)
 by: Mostowski Collapse - Sun, 28 Nov 2021 22:38 UTC

The first quote is attributed to Cantor:

Mostowski Collapse schrieb am Sonntag, 28. November 2021 um 23:37:14 UTC+1:
> - Cantor
>
> As quoted in Infinity and the Mind (1995) by Rudy Rucker.
> You know thanks to google I am kind of an expert myself.
>
> I wonder what and where the original german was?
> Serg io schrieb am Dienstag, 23. November 2021 um 17:45:57 UTC+1:
> > A set is a Many that allows itself to be thought of as a One.
> >

> > The essence of mathematics lies precisely in its freedom.
> >

> > The potential infinite means nothing other than an undetermined, variable quantity, always remaining finite, which has to assume values that either
> > become smaller than any finite limit no matter how small, or greater than any finite limit no matter how great.

Re: who said these Quotes ?

<so1asd$r2l$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=84157&group=sci.math#84157

From: inva...@invalid.com (Serg io)
Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 19:37:16 -0600
 by: Serg io - Mon, 29 Nov 2021 01:37 UTC

google says;

#1 ? no hits! ( search using german generated by google translate from english)

#2 could be from a paper in Mathematische Annalen (?) Bd 21, p564 but these are papers... (and paywall) a german site says he said it in 1883

https://disk.mathematik.uni-halle.de/history/allgemein/abriss.html

#3 [Cantor, "Mitteilungen" (1887-8), GA 409.]

some interesting stuff here (or troll food for WM)
https://www.logicmuseum.com/cantor/cantorquotes.htm

I heard Zug Switzerland is becoming a software place, the train was so smooth going through there