We have a equal opportunity Calculus class -- it's fully integrated.

tech / sci.math / RE: RE: Re: In arithmetic there does not exist a motive to introduce the actual infinite.

SubjectAuthor
* In arithmetic there does not exist a motive to introduce the actual infinite.WM
+- Re: In arithmetic there does not exist a motive to introduce thezelos...@gmail.com
+* Re: In arithmetic there does not exist a motive to introduce theSerg io
|`* Re: In arithmetic there does not exist a motive to introduce theMichael Moroney
| +* Re: In arithmetic there does not exist a motive to introduce theFredJeffries
| |`- Re: In arithmetic there does not exist a motive to introduce theSerg io
| `* RE: Re: In arithmetic there does not exist a motive to introduce the actual infiEarle Jones
|  +- Re: In arithmetic there does not exist a motive to introduce theMichael Moroney
|  `- RE: RE: Re: In arithmetic there does not exist a motive to introduce the actual Earle Jones
+* Re: In arithmetic there does not exist a motive to introduce theMostowski Collapse
|`- Re: In arithmetic there does not exist a motive to introduce theMostowski Collapse
+- Re: In arithmetic there does not exist a motive to introduce theFredJeffries
`- Re: In arithmetic there does not exist a motive to introduce theJulio Di Egidio

1
In arithmetic there does not exist a motive to introduce the actual infinite.

<38c4c8a6-5151-4704-8bca-21626d47cd84n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=83594&group=sci.math#83594

Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 01:23:09 -0800 (PST)
Subject: In arithmetic there does not exist a motive to introduce the actual infinite.
From: wolfgang...@hs-augsburg.de (WM)
 by: WM - Wed, 24 Nov 2021 09:23 UTC

During the renaissance, in particular with Bruno, the actual infinite is carried over from God to the world. The finite world models of present science show clearly, how the superiority of the idea of an actual infinite has come to an end with classical (modern) physics. In this light the inclusion of the actual infinite into mathematics, which explicitly began during the end of the last century with G. Cantor, appears disconcerting. In the intellectual framework of our century – in particular when considering existential philosophy – the actual infinite appears really as an anachronism. [...] In arithmetic [...] there does not exist a motive to introduce the actual infinite. The surprising appearance of an actual infinite in modern mathematics therefore can only be understood by taking geometry into consideration. [...] A finite decimal fraction can be written out, an infinite one can never be written. To talk about a sequence of infinitely many digits is therefore – if it is not nonsense at all – at least a hazardous business. [...] Similar to the elimination of the infinitely small at that time {{in the 19th century when the naive notion of continuity was replaced by the --definition}} now the infinitely great (more precisely the actual infinite) has to be shown dispensable. The motivating force of this reform is not based on a haughty purism but on the wish to restore the absolute safety and reliability of mathematics that presently is in danger to be lost in the set theoretic contradictions or their circumvention by rather arbitrary set theoretic formalisms. [P. Lorenzen: "Das Aktual-Unendliche in der Mathematik", Philosophia naturalis 4 (1957) pp. 3-11]

Much more difficult, it seems to me, will it be to meet the objections raised on the moral level by the formalists, namely that Constructivists should not waste their time, especially that they should not try to persuade other people to waste their time too, with cumbersome and perhaps unusual attempts to reconstruct the achievements of the traditionally given higher parts of mathematics. Instead, they should join the big game of axiomatic set theory: "You will become famous if you please famous people – and all famous mathematicians like axiomatic set theory". [...] Of course, then we would have no text-books with theorems about the hierarchy of transfinite cardinals. But we have also no text-books any more about the hierarchy of angels. No one seriously regrets this – though of course scholastic theology could be formalized. [P. Lorenzen: "Constructive mathematics as a philosophical problem", Compositio Mathematica 20 (1968) p. 137f]

Regards, WM

Re: In arithmetic there does not exist a motive to introduce the actual infinite.

<5182a200-6dee-406d-b577-3263b8be38c1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=83617&group=sci.math#83617

Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 04:35:56 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: In arithmetic there does not exist a motive to introduce the
actual infinite.
From: zelos.ma...@gmail.com (zelos...@gmail.com)
 by: zelos...@gmail.com - Wed, 24 Nov 2021 12:35 UTC

onsdag 24 november 2021 kl. 10:23:16 UTC+1 skrev WM:
> During the renaissance, in particular with Bruno, the actual infinite is carried over from God to the world. The finite world models of present science show clearly, how the superiority of the idea of an actual infinite has come to an end with classical (modern) physics. In this light the inclusion of the actual infinite into mathematics, which explicitly began during the end of the last century with G. Cantor, appears disconcerting. In the intellectual framework of our century – in particular when considering existential philosophy – the actual infinite appears really as an anachronism. [...] In arithmetic [...] there does not exist a motive to introduce the actual infinite. The surprising appearance of an actual infinite in modern mathematics therefore can only be understood by taking geometry into consideration. [...] A finite decimal fraction can be written out, an infinite one can never be written. To talk about a sequence of infinitely many digits is therefore – if it is not nonsense at all – at least a hazardous business. [...] Similar to the elimination of the infinitely small at that time {{in the 19th century when the naive notion of continuity was replaced by the --definition}} now the infinitely great (more precisely the actual infinite) has to be shown dispensable. The motivating force of this reform is not based on a haughty purism but on the wish to restore the absolute safety and reliability of mathematics that presently is in danger to be lost in the set theoretic contradictions or their circumvention by rather arbitrary set theoretic formalisms. [P. Lorenzen: "Das Aktual-Unendliche in der Mathematik", Philosophia naturalis 4 (1957) pp. 3-11]
>
> Much more difficult, it seems to me, will it be to meet the objections raised on the moral level by the formalists, namely that Constructivists should not waste their time, especially that they should not try to persuade other people to waste their time too, with cumbersome and perhaps unusual attempts to reconstruct the achievements of the traditionally given higher parts of mathematics. Instead, they should join the big game of axiomatic set theory: "You will become famous if you please famous people – and all famous mathematicians like axiomatic set theory". [...] Of course, then we would have no text-books with theorems about the hierarchy of transfinite cardinals. But we have also no text-books any more about the hierarchy of angels. No one seriously regrets this – though of course scholastic theology could be formalized. [P. Lorenzen: "Constructive mathematics as a philosophical problem", Compositio Mathematica 20 (1968) p. 137f]
>
> Regards, WM

can you come with something on your own instead of citing quotes from dead people?

Re: In arithmetic there does not exist a motive to introduce the actual infinite.

<snli61$1si$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=83624&group=sci.math#83624

From: inva...@invalid.com (Serg io)
Newsgroups: sci.math
actual infinite.
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 08:28:16 -0600
 by: Serg io - Wed, 24 Nov 2021 14:28 UTC

On 11/24/2021 3:23 AM, WM wrote:
> During the renaissance, in particular with Bruno, the actual infinite is carried over from God to the world.

so, who carried over actual infinity from God, and who did they give it too ?

The finite world models of present science show clearly, how the superiority of the idea of an actual infinite has come to an end with classical
(modern) physics. In this light the inclusion of the actual infinite into mathematics, which explicitly began during the end of the last century with G.
Cantor, appears disconcerting. In the intellectual framework of our century – in particular when considering existential philosophy – the actual
infinite appears really as an anachronism. [...] In arithmetic [...] there does not exist a motive to introduce the actual infinite. The surprising
appearance of an actual infinite in modern mathematics therefore can only be understood by taking geometry into consideration. [...] A finite decimal
fraction can be written out, an infinite one can never be written.

wrong. 1/3 in base(1/3) = 1

To talk about a sequence of infinitely many digits is therefore – if it is not nonsense at all – at least a hazardous business. [...] Similar to the
elimination of the infinitely small at that time {{in the 19th century when the naive notion of continuity was replaced by the --definition}} now the
infinitely great (more precisely the actual infinite) has to be shown dispensable.

disagree.

The motivating force of this reform is not based on a haughty purism but on the wish to restore the absolute safety and reliability of mathematics that
presently is in danger to be lost

disagree.

in the set theoretic contradictions or their circumvention by rather arbitrary set theoretic formalisms. [P. Lorenzen: "Das Aktual-Unendliche in der
Mathematik", Philosophia naturalis 4 (1957) pp. 3-11]

> Much more difficult, it seems to me, will it be to meet the objections raised on the moral level by the formalists,

disagree, 'moral level' ???

? namely that Constructivists should not waste their time, especially that they should not try to persuade other people to waste their time too, with
cumbersome and perhaps unusual attempts to reconstruct the achievements of the traditionally given higher parts of mathematics.

this is not math, but politics.

Instead, they should join the big game of axiomatic set theory: "You will become famous if you please famous people – and all famous mathematicians like
axiomatic set theory". [...] Of course, then we would have no text-books with theorems about the hierarchy of transfinite cardinals. But we have also no
text-books any more about the hierarchy of angels.

red herring.

No one seriously regrets this – though of course scholastic theology could be formalized. [P. Lorenzen: "Constructive mathematics as a philosophical
problem", Compositio Mathematica 20 (1968) p. 137f]

> Regards, WM

your book references are bad.

Re: In arithmetic there does not exist a motive to introduce the actual infinite.

<42805ebd-96e0-4a88-99f4-b52926d7d727n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=83633&group=sci.math#83633

Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 07:21:01 -0800 (PST)
actual infinite.
From: burse...@gmail.com (Mostowski Collapse)
 by: Mostowski Collapse - Wed, 24 Nov 2021 15:21 UTC

Lorenzen wasn't invited to the Scottish Café, this made him an angry man.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Caf%C3%A9

> The motivating force of this reform is not based on a haughty purism but on the wish to restore the absolute safety and reliability of mathematics that presently is in danger to be lost in the set theoretic contradictions or their circumvention by rather arbitrary set theoretic formalisms. [P. Lorenzen: "Das Aktual-Unendliche in der Mathematik", Philosophia naturalis 4 (1957) pp. 3-11]

Re: In arithmetic there does not exist a motive to introduce the actual infinite.

<c3d905aa-c5c9-4718-bb47-cd5059b9e3d5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=83634&group=sci.math#83634

Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 07:25:38 -0800 (PST)
actual infinite.
From: burse...@gmail.com (Mostowski Collapse)
 by: Mostowski Collapse - Wed, 24 Nov 2021 15:25 UTC

I think Hydra games cannot be proved to terminate
in Peano, but in ZFC Hydra games have termination proofs.

Kill the Mathematical Hydra | Infinite Series
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWwUpEY4c8o

Mostowski Collapse schrieb am Mittwoch, 24. November 2021 um 16:21:07 UTC+1:
> Lorenzen wasn't invited to the Scottish Café, this made him an angry man.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Caf%C3%A9
> > The motivating force of this reform is not based on a haughty purism but on the wish to restore the absolute safety and reliability of mathematics that presently is in danger to be lost in the set theoretic contradictions or their circumvention by rather arbitrary set theoretic formalisms. [P. Lorenzen: "Das Aktual-Unendliche in der Mathematik", Philosophia naturalis 4 (1957) pp. 3-11]

Re: In arithmetic there does not exist a motive to introduce the actual infinite.

<snlqsi$r7o$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=83642&group=sci.math#83642

From: moro...@world.std.spaamtrap.com (Michael Moroney)
Newsgroups: sci.math
actual infinite.
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 11:56:52 -0500
 by: Michael Moroney - Wed, 24 Nov 2021 16:56 UTC

On 11/24/2021 9:28 AM, Serg io wrote:

> wrong.  1/3 in base(1/3) = 1

Are non-integer bases a valid concept?

Re: In arithmetic there does not exist a motive to introduce the actual infinite.

<01bd46f6-9392-433a-8a42-a88079e3e374n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=83648&group=sci.math#83648

Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 10:22:11 -0800 (PST)
actual infinite.
From: fredjeff...@gmail.com (FredJeffries)
 by: FredJeffries - Wed, 24 Nov 2021 18:22 UTC

On Wednesday, November 24, 2021 at 8:57:05 AM UTC-8, Michael Moroney wrote:
> On 11/24/2021 9:28 AM, Serg io wrote:
> >
> > wrong. 1/3 in base(1/3) = 1
> >
> Are non-integer bases a valid concept?

Not only valid, but useful

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-integer_base_of_numeration

Re: In arithmetic there does not exist a motive to introduce the actual infinite.

<614a1b76-632b-4f66-9d60-4037915c2b97n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=83663&group=sci.math#83663

Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 10:57:46 -0800 (PST)
actual infinite.
From: fredjeff...@gmail.com (FredJeffries)
 by: FredJeffries - Wed, 24 Nov 2021 18:57 UTC

On Wednesday, November 24, 2021 at 1:23:16 AM UTC-8, WM interpolated:
> in the 19th century when the naive notion of continuity was replaced by the --definition

Alas, the '--definition [sic]' fails to capture the concept aimed at by that (ridiculed) 'naive notion of continuity', vis. being able to draw it without lifting your pencil from the paper.

The epsilon-delta definition, rather captures the notion of preservation-of-closeness -- captures is rather successfully judging by it's ubiquitousness in the past two centuries' mathematics.

The 'naive notion' is perhaps better modeled by the mathematical concept of connectedness -- but, alas, that leads us into the accursed field of topology and that devil's tool: Dedekind cuts

RE: Re: In arithmetic there does not exist a motive to introduce the actual infinite.

<BcwnJ.47804$6a3.14138@fx41.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=83665&group=sci.math#83665

Newsgroups: sci.math
From: earle.jo...@comcast.net (Earle Jones)
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 19:16:49 GMT
 by: Earle Jones - Wed, 24 Nov 2021 19:16 UTC

On Wed Nov 24 11:56:52 2021 Michael Moroney wrote:
> On 11/24/2021 9:28 AM, Serg io wrote:
> >
> > wrong. 1/3 in base(1/3) = 1
> >

> Are non-integer bases a valid concept?

*
More generally:

X in base X = 1

for any X.

earle
*

Re: In arithmetic there does not exist a motive to introduce the actual infinite.

<snm5s0$a25$3@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=83668&group=sci.math#83668

From: inva...@invalid.com (Serg io)
Newsgroups: sci.math
actual infinite.
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 14:04:15 -0600
 by: Serg io - Wed, 24 Nov 2021 20:04 UTC

On 11/24/2021 12:22 PM, FredJeffries wrote:
> On Wednesday, November 24, 2021 at 8:57:05 AM UTC-8, Michael Moroney wrote:
>> On 11/24/2021 9:28 AM, Serg io wrote:
>>>
>>> wrong. 1/3 in base(1/3) = 1
>>>
>> Are non-integer bases a valid concept?
>
> Not only valid, but useful
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-integer_base_of_numeration

good find!

Re: In arithmetic there does not exist a motive to introduce the actual infinite.

<35af2e09-bc4c-4e06-9f49-e16ad907caf1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=83670&group=sci.math#83670

Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 12:08:12 -0800 (PST)
actual infinite.
From: jul...@diegidio.name (Julio Di Egidio)
 by: Julio Di Egidio - Wed, 24 Nov 2021 20:08 UTC

On Wednesday, 24 November 2021 at 10:23:16 UTC+1, WM wrote:
> During the renaissance, in particular with Bruno, the actual infinite is carried over from God to the world. The finite world models of present science show clearly, how the superiority of the idea of an actual infinite has come to an end with classical (modern) physics. In this light the inclusion of the actual infinite into mathematics, which explicitly began during the end of the last century with G. Cantor, appears disconcerting. In the intellectual framework of our century – in particular when considering existential philosophy – the actual infinite appears really as an anachronism. [...] In arithmetic [...] there does not exist a motive to introduce the actual infinite. The surprising appearance of an actual infinite in modern mathematics therefore can only be understood by taking geometry into consideration. [...] A finite decimal fraction can be written out, an infinite one can never be written. To talk about a sequence of infinitely many digits is therefore – if it is not nonsense at all – at least a hazardous business. [...] Similar to the elimination of the infinitely small at that time {{in the 19th century when the naive notion of continuity was replaced by the --definition}} now the infinitely great (more precisely the actual infinite) has to be shown dispensable. The motivating force of this reform is not based on a haughty purism but on the wish to restore the absolute safety and reliability of mathematics that presently is in danger to be lost in the set theoretic contradictions or their circumvention by rather arbitrary set theoretic formalisms. [P. Lorenzen: "Das Aktual-Unendliche in der Mathematik", Philosophia naturalis 4 (1957) pp. 3-11]
>
> Much more difficult, it seems to me, will it be to meet the objections raised on the moral level by the formalists, namely that Constructivists should not waste their time, especially that they should not try to persuade other people to waste their time too, with cumbersome and perhaps unusual attempts to reconstruct the achievements of the traditionally given higher parts of mathematics. Instead, they should join the big game of axiomatic set theory: "You will become famous if you please famous people – and all famous mathematicians like axiomatic set theory". [...] Of course, then we would have no text-books with theorems about the hierarchy of transfinite cardinals. But we have also no text-books any more about the hierarchy of angels. No one seriously regrets this – though of course scholastic theology could be formalized. [P. Lorenzen: "Constructive mathematics as a philosophical problem", Compositio Mathematica 20 (1968) p. 137f]

What a pile of nonsense: actually, infinity is just all over the place, in science and not only...

Thanks for posting, and what a disappointment this Lorenzen: another uber-finitist for the other side of the very same broken coin.

Oh, well...

Julio

Re: In arithmetic there does not exist a motive to introduce the actual infinite.

<snm6p8$r0m$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=83671&group=sci.math#83671

From: moro...@world.std.spaamtrap.com (Michael Moroney)
Newsgroups: sci.math
actual infinite.
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 15:19:54 -0500
 by: Michael Moroney - Wed, 24 Nov 2021 20:19 UTC

On 11/24/2021 2:16 PM, Earle Jones wrote:
> On Wed Nov 24 11:56:52 2021 Michael Moroney wrote:
>> On 11/24/2021 9:28 AM, Serg io wrote:
>>>
>>> wrong. 1/3 in base(1/3) = 1
>>>

>> Are non-integer bases a valid concept?
>
> *
> More generally:
>
> X in base X = 1
>
> for any X.

You meant 10 I assume.

That much I figured, but how could you have a non-integer number of
digits to represent a number? Like what digits could there be to
represent a number in base pi? Base 3 would have 3 unique digits to
represent a number, base 4 has 4 digits, but base pi? How to represent
100 decimal in base pi?

I'll go read the wiki page Fred J mentioned, perhaps already answered.

RE: RE: Re: In arithmetic there does not exist a motive to introduce the actual infinite.

<3LAnJ.15319$Sl5.12030@fx27.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=83700&group=sci.math#83700

Newsgroups: sci.math
From: earle.jo...@comcast.net (Earle Jones)
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2021 00:26:39 GMT
 by: Earle Jones - Thu, 25 Nov 2021 00:26 UTC

On Wed Nov 24 19:16:49 2021 Earle Jones wrote:
> On Wed Nov 24 11:56:52 2021 Michael Moroney wrote:
> > On 11/24/2021 9:28 AM, Serg io wrote:
> > >
> > > wrong. 1/3 in base(1/3) = 1
> > >

> > Are non-integer bases a valid concept?
>
> *