Play Rogue, visit exotic locations, meet strange creatures and kill them.

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Re: Flat tires but not today change my set up?

SubjectAuthor
* Flat tires but not today change my set up?Mark Cleary
+* Re: Flat tires but not today change my set up?Roger Meriman
|`- Re: Flat tires but not today change my set up?Tom Kunich
+* Re: Flat tires but not today change my set up?Lou Holtman
|`- Re: Flat tires but not today change my set up?funkma...@hotmail.com
`* Re: Flat tires but not today change my set up?Frank Krygowski
 +- Re: Flat tires but not today change my set up?Roger Meriman
 `* Re: Flat tires but not today change my set up?pH
  +* Re: Flat tires but not today change my set up?Catrike Rider
  |+* Re: Flat tires but not today change my set up?Roger Meriman
  ||`- Re: Flat tires but not today change my set up?Catrike Rider
  |`* Re: Flat tires but not today change my set up?pH
  | +- Re: Flat tires but not today change my set up?Catrike Rider
  | `- Re: Flat tires but not today change my set up?Radey Shouman
  +* Re: Flat tires but not today change my set up?Frank Krygowski
  |`* Re: Flat tires but not today change my set up?pH
  | `* Re: Flat tires but not today change my set up?Joy Beeson
  |  +* Re: Flat tires but not today change my set up?pH
  |  |+- Re: Flat tires but not today change my set up?Ted Heise
  |  |`* Re: Flat tires but not today change my set up?Joy Beeson
  |  | +- Re: Flat tires but not today change my set up?Ted Heise
  |  | +* Re: Flat tires but not today change my set up?Tom Kunich
  |  | |`* Re: Flat tires but not today change my set up?Joy Beeson
  |  | | `- Re: Flat tires but not today change my set up?Ted Heise
  |  | `* Re: Flat tires but not today change my set up?Joy Beeson
  |  |  `- Re: Flat tires but not today change my set up?AMuzi
  |  `* Re: Flat tires but not today change my set up?AMuzi
  |   `- Re: Flat tires but not today change my set up?Tom Kunich
  `- Re: Flat tires but not today change my set up?funkma...@hotmail.com

Pages:12
Re: Flat tires but not today change my set up?

<cd358i1cd7t9lmvk6j8cgs0cng5a3f9b13@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=83783&group=rec.bicycles.tech#83783

From: jbee...@invalid.net.invalid (Joy Beeson)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Flat tires but not today change my set up?
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2023 22:35:08 -0400
 by: Joy Beeson - Fri, 9 Jun 2023 02:35 UTC

On Tue, 06 Jun 2023 22:51:37 -0400, Joy Beeson
<jbeeson@invalid.net.invalid> wrote:

> I hope to get the card tables out of the parlor tomorrow

I added two snaps to a walker bag instead, but did hem two sleeve
facings and a belt casing. (The belt supports my back pockets.)

Thursday, 8 June 2023

And today I sewed the elastic casing in the back pocket. Have one
more row of machine stitching before I can put in the elastic and
divide it into three pockets.

Started to sew a snap on the phone pocket, but it was time to make
jambalaya when I'd assembled the tools and notions.

In the morning, we drove to Martins to pick up our curbside order.
Forgot milk; I hope my bike is ready tommorrow.

--
joy beeson at centurylink dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGESEW/

Re: Flat tires but not today change my set up?

<uu358itf7l4378sb4lpe2a2n1f1fvk4sq8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=83784&group=rec.bicycles.tech#83784

From: jbee...@invalid.net.invalid (Joy Beeson)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2023 23:04:34 -0400
 by: Joy Beeson - Fri, 9 Jun 2023 03:04 UTC

On Wed, 7 Jun 2023 09:09:40 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
<cyclintom@gmail.com> wrote:

> Joy, be extremely careful of oxycodone because that is the source or nearly every military veteran drug addict. ONLY use it when there is no other way. As soon as the warning signs of addiction started showing, I changed to aspirin which worked just about as well anyway.

When I mentioned oxycodone to my doctor, his only question was whether
I had enough. (I really must get around to counting the pills.)

I suspect that a tablespoon of paregoric would have done at least as
well, but paregoric has been criminalized.

The following incident happened at the Colfax place, so it must have
been a *long* time ago. Bereft of other medication, I decided to
drink a shot of whiskey every half hour until I was feeling no pain.

The alcohol didn't reduce the pain in the slightest -- but after the
third shot, I thought pain was funny.

It was also at the Colfax place that I took acetominophen for the same
pain. Pretty soon I wanted the pain back to take my mind off how
lousy I felt. This was my first dose of acetominophen, so I've been
extremely reluctant to take it ever since even though in hindsight,
the pain *had* been covering up how lousy I felt. But aspirin and
paregoric also relieve the lousy. 'Course paregoric means no heavy
machinery, but so does extreme agony.

Now that I'm old, it's at bedtime that I need painkiller, and I can't
take aspirin after ten o'clock. I had a bleeding ulcer once, so I
can't take aspirin without food, and because I take levothyroxin at
two in the morning, I can't eat after ten.

But I stopped needing medication to sleep almost at once after
starting the methylprednisolone.

Previous course took five months to wear off. I'd expected more.

Last December's course was the first time I wrote it down where I
couldn't lose track, so I'm not sure how long previous rounds of
steroid lasted.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at centurylink dot net

Re: Flat tires but not today change my set up?

<slrnu86409.r8a.theise@panix2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=83819&group=rec.bicycles.tech#83819

From: the...@panix.com (Ted Heise)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2023 11:42:01 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ted Heise - Fri, 9 Jun 2023 11:42 UTC

On Thu, 08 Jun 2023 23:04:34 -0400,
Joy Beeson <jbeeson@invalid.net.invalid> wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Jun 2023 09:09:40 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
> <cyclintom@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Joy, be extremely careful of oxycodone because that is the
> > source or nearly every military veteran drug addict. ONLY use
> > it when there is no other way. As soon as the warning signs of
> > addiction started showing, I changed to aspirin which worked
> > just about as well anyway.
>
> When I mentioned oxycodone to my doctor, his only question was
> whether I had enough. (I really must get around to counting
> the pills.)

I agree with Tom, but it sounds as if you have things well in
hand.

ISTM that as we age, the calculus changes. Quality of life slips,
regardless of whatever we may do to care for ourselves, and the
consequences of addiction diminish. This is most evident as we
near end of life, especially if we transition into palliative
care.

> I suspect that a tablespoon of paregoric would have done at
> least as well, but paregoric has been criminalized.

I had a friend who found immense relief from Vioxx, and nothing
else seemed to work. When it was taken off the market she was
left with no options. In her case, she was well aware of the
risks, but was willing to accept them for the improved QoL the
drug gave her. I can't say how much of the market withdrawal was
FDA pressure and how much was liability exposure, but it's a shame
when folks can't make their own risk:benefit decisions in things
like this.

> The following incident happened at the Colfax place, so it must
> have been a *long* time ago. Bereft of other medication, I
> decided to drink a shot of whiskey every half hour until I was
> feeling no pain.
>
> The alcohol didn't reduce the pain in the slightest -- but
> after the third shot, I thought pain was funny.

Heh. I know pretty much what you mean, but from a slightly
different perspective. I drank abusively for many years, and the
last several were totally bereft of any but the most fleeting
relief.

> Now that I'm old, it's at bedtime that I need painkiller, and I
> can't take aspirin after ten o'clock. I had a bleeding ulcer
> once, so I can't take aspirin without food, and because I take
> levothyroxin at two in the morning, I can't eat after ten.

Ugh. Sounds like a tough situation. For me, neither aspirin nor
acetaminophen do much of anything to reduce pain. On the other
hand, I've found ibuprofen to be very effective. I do try to
limit it, because I really don't want to end up needing dialysis.

I've also had upper GI trouble with meds, but no bleeding that I
know of. The last year or so, my hemoglobin has trended below
normal (in part due to regular blood donation), so iron
supplements have been advised. They don't sit well, sometimes
even if I take them exactly with a meal.

> But I stopped needing medication to sleep almost at once after
> starting the methylprednisolone.
>
> Previous course took five months to wear off. I'd expected
> more.
>
> Last December's course was the first time I wrote it down where
> I couldn't lose track, so I'm not sure how long previous rounds
> of steroid lasted.

Ugh again. My wife's had to take prednisone a couple of times,
and hates it. She finds it plays hell with her equanimity, and
says she feels like a Balrog when on it. On the other hand, it
has been *very* effective at relieving her symptoms.

--
Ted Heise <theise@panix.com> West Lafayette, IN, USA

Re: Flat tires but not today change my set up?

<u5vari$1tu2i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=83827&group=rec.bicycles.tech#83827

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2023 08:52:37 -0500
 by: AMuzi - Fri, 9 Jun 2023 13:52 UTC

On 6/8/2023 9:35 PM, Joy Beeson wrote:
> On Tue, 06 Jun 2023 22:51:37 -0400, Joy Beeson
> <jbeeson@invalid.net.invalid> wrote:
>
>> I hope to get the card tables out of the parlor tomorrow
>
> I added two snaps to a walker bag instead, but did hem two sleeve
> facings and a belt casing. (The belt supports my back pockets.)
>
> Thursday, 8 June 2023
>
> And today I sewed the elastic casing in the back pocket. Have one
> more row of machine stitching before I can put in the elastic and
> divide it into three pockets.
>
> Started to sew a snap on the phone pocket, but it was time to make
> jambalaya when I'd assembled the tools and notions.
>
> In the morning, we drove to Martins to pick up our curbside order.
> Forgot milk; I hope my bike is ready tommorrow.

This time of year I live that life. Sewing, auto repairs, my
own bike all get started and stopped several times per project.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>