From: clp...@alumni.caltech.edu (Chris L Peterson)
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Subject: Re: Webb telescope, the good and the bad
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2022 22:54:57 -0600
 by: Chris L Peterson - Wed, 13 Jul 2022 04:54 UTC

On Tue, 12 Jul 2022 20:12:36 -0700 (PDT), RichA <rander3128@gmail.com>
wrote:

>It's great they have it up there, it should do some excellent science. But it also takes the spotlight away from a lot of ground-based optical astronomy and that spotlight needs to be on, owing to the impending destruction of the Earth-based night sky by the thousands of satellites myriad companies plan to launch. They almost ALL use highly-reflective solar panels for power and that is what poses the greatest threat to ground-based imaging.

There is no significant threat to ground-based astronomy. If you
actually understood anything about astronomy, you would know that. A
handful of projects are going to have to deal with satellites. 99.9%
of astronomy will be unaffected.

Re: Webb telescope, the good and the bad

<4cc84faf-e83c-4024-bb47-5ded49448675n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=8398&group=sci.astro.amateur#8398

Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2022 16:27:18 -0700 (PDT)
From: pnals...@gmail.com (palsing)
 by: palsing - Wed, 13 Jul 2022 23:27 UTC

On Wednesday, July 13, 2022 at 4:05:47 PM UTC-7, RichA wrote:
> On Wednesday, 13 July 2022 at 00:55:01 UTC-4, Chris L Peterson wrote:

> > There is no significant threat to ground-based astronomy. If you
> > actually understood anything about astronomy, you would know that. A
> > handful of projects are going to have to deal with satellites. 99.9%
> > of astronomy will be unaffected.

> Keep believing that when even a casual observers sees SEVERAL satellites per night going through their field of view...

I see quite a few satellites traverse my telescopic FOV every night that I observe, and it has been this way for years. They pretty much just zip right through in a second or 2. Not worth complaining about...

Re: Webb telescope, the good and the bad

<n8nuchl9tg7ojjnn1qml6kh4u379a4d1hn@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=8399&group=sci.astro.amateur#8399

From: clp...@alumni.caltech.edu (Chris L Peterson)
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2022 18:04:08 -0600
 by: Chris L Peterson - Thu, 14 Jul 2022 00:04 UTC

On Wed, 13 Jul 2022 16:05:45 -0700 (PDT), RichA <rander3128@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Wednesday, 13 July 2022 at 00:55:01 UTC-4, Chris L Peterson wrote:
>> On Tue, 12 Jul 2022 20:12:36 -0700 (PDT), RichA <rande...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> >It's great they have it up there, it should do some excellent science. But it also takes the spotlight away from a lot of ground-based optical astronomy and that spotlight needs to be on, owing to the impending destruction of the Earth-based night sky by the thousands of satellites myriad companies plan to launch. They almost ALL use highly-reflective solar panels for power and that is what poses the greatest threat to ground-based imaging.
>> There is no significant threat to ground-based astronomy. If you
>> actually understood anything about astronomy, you would know that. A
>> handful of projects are going to have to deal with satellites. 99.9%
>> of astronomy will be unaffected.
>
>Keep believing that when even a casual observers sees SEVERAL satellites per night going through their field of view...

Pretty much every casual observer I've ever met loves seeing
satellites. Go out and try to see something like a Starlink satellite.
It's hard. They're very dim. You'll only see them near sunrise or
sunset, and normally only for the first few days after they launch.
And satellites have no significant impact on imagers at all.

tech / sci.astro.amateur / Re: Webb telescope, the good and the bad