The world is coming to an end--save your buffers!

tech / sci.math / Re: Modern insight

SubjectAuthor
* Modern insightWM
+- Re: Modern insightzelos...@gmail.com
+* Re: Modern insightJulio Di Egidio
|`- Re: Modern insightChason Aceta
+- Re: Modern insightChason Aceta
+- Re: Modern insightDan Christensen
`- Re: Modern insightmitchr...@gmail.com

1
Modern insight

<75135d9f-e660-45c8-a475-1177d5be485dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=84185&group=sci.math#84185

Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 01:30:10 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Modern insight
From: wolfgang...@hs-augsburg.de (WM)
 by: WM - Mon, 29 Nov 2021 09:30 UTC

Ultrafinitism: Infinities, both potential and actual, do not exist and are not acceptable in mathematics. Finitism: Potential infinities exist and are acceptable in mathematics. Actual infinities do not exist and we must limit or eliminate their role in mathematics. Predicativism: We may accept the natural numbers, but not the real numbers, as a completed infinite totality.. Quantification over ℕ is acceptable, but quantification over ℝ, or over the set of all subsets of ℕ, is unacceptable. Infinitism: Actual infinities of all kinds are welcome in mathematics, so long as they are consistent and intuitively natural. Of these four positions, the finitist one seems to be the most objective. [...] The real world contains many potential infinities. [...] However, the real world does not appear to contain any actual infinities. For this reason, actual infinities are suspect. In order to maintain objectivity in mathematics, it seems necessary to limit the use of actual infinities. We introduce them only as "convenient fictions". [...] There is no clear way to integrate ZFC-based mathematics with the rest of human knowledge. The unity of mathematics is good, but the unity of human knowledge would be even better. [...] both set theory and religious faith can claim to be in a "strong" position vis a vis skeptics, by avoiding reliance on facts which can be questioned. I reject such claims on grounds of lack of objectivity. [S.G. Simpson: "Potential versus actual infinity: Insights from reverse mathematics" (2015)]

Regards, WM

Re: Modern insight

<62fd9b92-48f3-41e0-8af0-50f412a7aca7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=84186&group=sci.math#84186

Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 01:38:08 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Modern insight
From: zelos.ma...@gmail.com (zelos...@gmail.com)
 by: zelos...@gmail.com - Mon, 29 Nov 2021 09:38 UTC

måndag 29 november 2021 kl. 10:30:17 UTC+1 skrev WM:
> Ultrafinitism: Infinities, both potential and actual, do not exist and are not acceptable in mathematics. Finitism: Potential infinities exist and are acceptable in mathematics. Actual infinities do not exist and we must limit or eliminate their role in mathematics. Predicativism: We may accept the natural numbers, but not the real numbers, as a completed infinite totality. Quantification over ℕ is acceptable, but quantification over ℝ, or over the set of all subsets of ℕ, is unacceptable. Infinitism: Actual infinities of all kinds are welcome in mathematics, so long as they are consistent and intuitively natural. Of these four positions, the finitist one seems to be the most objective. [...] The real world contains many potential infinities. [...] However, the real world does not appear to contain any actual infinities. For this reason, actual infinities are suspect. In order to maintain objectivity in mathematics, it seems necessary to limit the use of actual infinities. We introduce them only as "convenient fictions". [...] There is no clear way to integrate ZFC-based mathematics with the rest of human knowledge. The unity of mathematics is good, but the unity of human knowledge would be even better. [...] both set theory and religious faith can claim to be in a "strong" position vis a vis skeptics, by avoiding reliance on facts which can be questioned. I reject such claims on grounds of lack of objectivity. [S.G. Simpson: "Potential versus actual infinity: Insights from reverse mathematics" (2015)]
>
> Regards, WM
why do you keep citing shit instead of actually learning logic?

Re: Modern insight

<so2gqo$p8r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=84191&group=sci.math#84191

From: jul...@diegidio.name (Julio Di Egidio)
Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 13:24:55 +0100
 by: Julio Di Egidio - Mon, 29 Nov 2021 12:24 UTC

On 29/11/2021 10:30, WM wrote:

> Infinitism: Actual infinities of all kinds are welcome in mathematics,
> so long as they are consistent and intuitively natural.

So long as *logically valid*, which is what and all mathematics needs.

> Of these four positions, the finitist one seems to be the most objective. [...]
> The real world contains many potential infinities. [...]
> However, the real world does not appear to contain any actual infinities.

Nope: for a starter, that is forgetting all abstract constructions, in
science and not only. It is also forgetting things that have been
meanwhile obliterated, from the infinity of Cosmos to that of Man and
everything. But, back to Earth, the very answer to Achilles and the
Tortoise *is* *already* *infinitary*!

> We introduce them only as "convenient fictions". [...]

Rather call yourself a "naturalist" of the naive and misplaced kind.

> There is no clear way to integrate ZFC-based mathematics with the rest of human
> knowledge.

It rather appears that standard mathematics is broken re *anything*
infinite, potential or otherwise.

> I reject such claims on grounds of lack of objectivity. [S.G. Simpson: "Potential
> versus actual infinity: Insights from reverse mathematics" (2015)]

I'd suggest you reconsider.

Julio

Re: Modern insight

<so434s$b9l$4@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=84239&group=sci.math#84239

From: pip...@cvbe.er (Chason Aceta)
Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2021 02:43:40 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Chason Aceta - Tue, 30 Nov 2021 02:43 UTC

WM wrote:

> Ultrafinitism: Infinities, both potential and actual, do not exist and
> are not acceptable in mathematics. Finitism: Potential infinities exist
> and are acceptable in mathematics. Actual infinities do not exist and we
> must limit or eliminate their role in mathematics. Predicativism: We may

they are. The stupidity of people on this planet is infinite:

PROF. SUCHARIT BHAKDI: THE COVID "VACCINES" WERE DESIGNED TO FAIL
https://www.brighteon.com/39255c9d-a5be-4fa2-a212-b0afd16a43e1

Re: Modern insight

<so43io$b9l$5@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=84240&group=sci.math#84240

From: pip...@cvbe.er (Chason Aceta)
Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2021 02:51:05 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Chason Aceta - Tue, 30 Nov 2021 02:51 UTC

Julio Di Egidio wrote:

> On 29/11/2021 10:30, WM wrote:
>
>> Infinitism: Actual infinities of all kinds are welcome in mathematics,
>> so long as they are consistent and intuitively natural.
>
> So long as *logically valid*, which is what and all mathematics needs.

the monarchy, at the recent meeting, said openly that countries on this
planet, have to introduce *militarized_forces*, to curve the carbon
emission to zero. The carbon emission is you.

PROF. SUCHARIT BHAKDI: THE COVID "VACCINES" WERE DESIGNED TO FAIL
https://www.brighteon.com/39255c9d-a5be-4fa2-a212-b0afd16a43e1

Re: Modern insight

<56aaa97a-f18f-4922-a68a-1e5994bfd6ban@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=84243&group=sci.math#84243

Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 19:59:29 -0800 (PST)
From: Dan_Chri...@sympatico.ca (Dan Christensen)
 by: Dan Christensen - Tue, 30 Nov 2021 03:59 UTC

On Monday, November 29, 2021 at 4:30:17 AM UTC-5, WM wrote:

> Quantification... over the set of all subsets of ℕ, is unacceptable....

What problems if any arise from the well-ordering principle that, for all subsets S of N, if S is non-empty, then there exists as least element in S? (Hint: NONE).

Dan

Re: Modern insight

<e1d1f350-5dbc-4a0c-9c2c-8b336fd89540n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=84303&group=sci.math#84303

Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2021 12:48:47 -0800 (PST)
From: mitchrae...@gmail.com (mitchr...@gmail.com)
 by: mitchr...@gmail.com - Tue, 30 Nov 2021 20:48 UTC

On Monday, November 29, 2021 at 1:30:17 AM UTC-8, WM wrote:
> Ultrafinitism: Infinities, both potential and actual, do not exist and are not acceptable in mathematics. Finitism: Potential infinities exist and are acceptable in mathematics. Actual infinities do not exist and we must limit or eliminate their role in mathematics. Predicativism: We may accept the natural numbers, but not the real numbers, as a completed infinite totality. Quantification over ℕ is acceptable, but quantification over ℝ, or over the set of all subsets of ℕ, is unacceptable. Infinitism: Actual infinities of all kinds are welcome in mathematics, so long as they are consistent and intuitively natural. Of these four positions, the finitist one seems to be the most objective. [...] The real world contains many potential infinities. [...] However, the real world does not appear to contain any actual infinities. For this reason, actual infinities are suspect. In order to maintain objectivity in mathematics, it seems necessary to limit the use of actual infinities. We introduce them only as "convenient fictions". [...] There is no clear way to integrate ZFC-based mathematics with the rest of human knowledge. The unity of mathematics is good, but the unity of human knowledge would be even better. [...] both set theory and religious faith can claim to be in a "strong" position vis a vis skeptics, by avoiding reliance on facts which can be questioned. I reject such claims on grounds of lack of objectivity. [S.G. Simpson: "Potential versus actual infinity: Insights from reverse mathematics" (2015)]
>
> Regards, WM

Modern is something that is always in the new now...
We really want to get past it instead.. imagine future worlds

Our Modern does not make it objective.
Critical thinking does...