grep me no patterns and I'll tell you no lines.

tech / sci.electronics.design / Re: Bought a cheap hot-air workstation.

SubjectAuthor
* Bought a cheap hot-air workstation.Sylvia Else
+- Re: Bought a cheap hot-air workstation.legg
`* Re: Bought a cheap hot-air workstation.Ralph Mowery
 `* Re: Bought a cheap hot-air workstation.John Doe
  +* Re: Bought a cheap hot-air workstation.Anthony William Sloman
  |`- Re: Bought a cheap hot-air workstation.DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno
  `- Re: Bought a cheap hot-air workstation.Spehro Pefhany

1
Bought a cheap hot-air workstation.

<j1lh6iF2f8fU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=84656&group=sci.electronics.design#84656

From: syl...@email.invalid (Sylvia Else)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Bought a cheap hot-air workstation.
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2021 16:55:28 +1100
 by: Sylvia Else - Sun, 12 Dec 2021 05:55 UTC

By cheap, I mean $159 Australian.

This is what happened the first time I tried to change the nozzle.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g74o6cpvfo7ko66/T_HotAirStation2.jpg?dl=0

Turns out the metal tube that is meant to contain the heating element is
held in place only by friction.

So is the nozzle.

So when removing the nozzle, it's just a matter of which friction wins.
Not sure why the nozzle was so well attached, but it was.

The tube can be reattached, but the ground connection has been
compromised, making it unsafe.

I expect I'll get a refund.

Sylvia.

Re: Bought a cheap hot-air workstation.

<el0crgt84c43ornfghi4cumr633111nag1@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=84682&group=sci.electronics.design#84682

From: leg...@nospam.magma.ca (legg)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Bought a cheap hot-air workstation.
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2021 09:25:31 -0500
 by: legg - Sun, 12 Dec 2021 14:25 UTC

On Sun, 12 Dec 2021 16:55:28 +1100, Sylvia Else <sylvia@email.invalid>
wrote:

>By cheap, I mean $159 Australian.
>
>This is what happened the first time I tried to change the nozzle.
>
>https://www.dropbox.com/s/g74o6cpvfo7ko66/T_HotAirStation2.jpg?dl=0
>
>Turns out the metal tube that is meant to contain the heating element is
>held in place only by friction.
>
>So is the nozzle.
>
>So when removing the nozzle, it's just a matter of which friction wins.
>Not sure why the nozzle was so well attached, but it was.
>
>The tube can be reattached, but the ground connection has been
>compromised, making it unsafe.
>
>I expect I'll get a refund.
>
>Sylvia.

Doesn't look familiar.

The guns and the controllers can have widely varying origins and
still end up in the same retail box. The guns are repairable
and replaceable, if that is more convenient.

You might check to see if the controller's line fuse and on/off
switch are safely configured. This isn't something that a replacement
can fix - you'd have to change yourself, if you don't want a
transformer meltdown (there is likely no thermal protection either).

I doubt there's a safety file anywhere that would be compromised
in doing so.

RL

Re: Bought a cheap hot-air workstation.

<MPG.3c1fd323aa292779989b9c@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=84683&group=sci.electronics.design#84683

From: rmower...@charter.net (Ralph Mowery)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2021 09:37:12 -0500
 by: Ralph Mowery - Sun, 12 Dec 2021 14:37 UTC

In article <j1lh6iF2f8fU1@mid.individual.net>, sylvia@email.invalid
says...

> So is the nozzle.
>
> So when removing the nozzle, it's just a matter of which friction wins.
> Not sure why the nozzle was so well attached, but it was.
>
> The tube can be reattached, but the ground connection has been
> compromised, making it unsafe.
>
> I expect I'll get a refund.

I bought one of the hot air stations that had a similar air wand and a
soldering pencil a few years ago and sofar it has been fine. Forgot
what I paid, but it was less than $ 100 US dollars. They are even less
now. Not a great hot air wand,but works well enough for a hobby. For
what I do and thhe price I have been pleased with it. Would not buy
one if I was in business using one every day.

Re: Bought a cheap hot-air workstation.

<sp6brl$ckh$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=84718&group=sci.electronics.design#84718

From: always.l...@message.header (John Doe)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2021 02:40:53 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Doe - Mon, 13 Dec 2021 02:40 UTC

Ralph Mowery <rmowery42@charter.net> wrote:

> sylvia@email.invalid says...

>> So is the nozzle.
>>
>> So when removing the nozzle, it's just a matter of which friction wins.
>> Not sure why the nozzle was so well attached, but it was.
>>
>> The tube can be reattached, but the ground connection has been
>> compromised, making it unsafe.
>>
>> I expect I'll get a refund.

> I bought one of the hot air stations that had a similar air wand and a
> soldering pencil a few years ago and sofar it has been fine. Forgot
> what I paid, but it was less than $ 100 US dollars.

Good for you.

What's the brand name? No idea? No longer available? Then your anecdote
means squat.

The problem is the Chinese Communist Party is destroying brand names. Brand
names help consumers choose good products. The cheap things I have are by
"brands" that are no longer available.

Look at the Chinese junk you have and see how many of those "brands" are
still available...

Re: Bought a cheap hot-air workstation.

<47123ab2-3338-4de7-b650-8cc5c0b14e62n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=84726&group=sci.electronics.design#84726

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2021 04:06:08 -0800 (PST)
From: bill.slo...@ieee.org (Anthony William Sloman)
 by: Anthony William Slom - Mon, 13 Dec 2021 12:06 UTC

On Monday, December 13, 2021 at 1:40:59 PM UTC+11, John Doe wrote:
> Ralph Mowery <rmow...@charter.net> wrote:
>
> > syl...@email.invalid says...
>
> >> So is the nozzle.
> >>
> >> So when removing the nozzle, it's just a matter of which friction wins..
> >> Not sure why the nozzle was so well attached, but it was.
> >>
> >> The tube can be reattached, but the ground connection has been
> >> compromised, making it unsafe.
> >>
> >> I expect I'll get a refund.
>
> > I bought one of the hot air stations that had a similar air wand and a
> > soldering pencil a few years ago and sofar it has been fine. Forgot
> > what I paid, but it was less than $ 100 US dollars.
> Good for you.
>
> What's the brand name? No idea? No longer available? Then your anecdote
> means squat.
>
> The problem is the Chinese Communist Party is destroying brand names.

Really?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huawei

They've embraced free-enterprise capitalism as way of building up successful firms. They do insist on quite a lot of control of the firms, but killing off brand names would be pretty silly.

> Brand names help consumers choose good products. The cheap things I have are by "brands" that are no longer available.

John Doe could have been expected to buy excessively cheap things that would have come from firms too dumb to put enough quality into their products to get repeat business. Chinese companies aren't the only ones to make that mistake, but there has been a lot of stuff manufactured in China and some of it was remarkably cheap and crummy.
> Look at the Chinese junk you have and see how many of those "brands" are still available...

Not just Chinese. Of course I do try to avoid buying junk - my wife is less picky (and doesn't know as much about how stuff is put together).

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: Bought a cheap hot-air workstation.

<sp7htp$14v2$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=84728&group=sci.electronics.design#84728

From: Decadent...@decadence.org
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2021 13:30:33 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Decadent...@decadence.org - Mon, 13 Dec 2021 13:30 UTC

Anthony William Sloman <bill.sloman@ieee.org> wrote in

> On Monday, December 13, 2021 at 1:40:59 PM UTC+11, John Doe wrote:
>> Ralph Mowery <rmow...@charter.net> wrote:
>>
>> > syl...@email.invalid says...

> .

>> > I bought one of the hot air stations that had a similar air
>> > wand and a
>
>> > soldering pencil a few years ago and sofar it has been fine.
>> > Forgot what I paid, but it was less than $ 100 US dollars.
>> Good for you.
>>
>> What's the brand name? No idea? No longer available? Then your
>> anecdote
>
>> means squat.
>>
>> The problem is the Chinese Communist Party is destroying brand
>> names.
>
> Really?
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huawei
>
> They've embraced free-enterprise capitalism as way of building up
> successful firms. They do insist on quite a lot of control of the
> firms, but killing off brand names would be pretty silly.
>
>> Brand names help consumers choose good products. The cheap things
>> I have
> are by "brands" that are no longer available.
>
> John Doe could have been expected to buy excessively cheap things
> that would have come from firms too dumb to put enough quality
> into their products to get repeat business. Chinese companies
> aren't the only ones to make that mistake, but there has been a
> lot of stuff manufactured in China and some of it was remarkably
> cheap and crummy.
>
>> Look at the Chinese junk you have and see how many of those
>> "brands" are
> still available...
>
> Not just Chinese. Of course I do try to avoid buying junk - my
> wife is less picky (and doesn't know as much about how stuff is
> put together).

These Republitard idiots have been out of touch with the FACT that
it has been a GLOBAL ECONOMY since the '60s.

We would not have the computers, TVs and many other things we have
at the prices we got them at, were it not for our GLOBAL ECONOMY,
which their fathers ushered in, by the way.

My 3D printer is Chinese. It may have been designed here, but it
is 100% chinese manufacture. US made products cost thousands more.

My laser engraver is chinese.

My Walmart tools are cheap chinese but they work fine. I still buy
critical quality required tools like files from US makers. But my
cheap sockets, and my hex wrenches and my allen set and my compressor
and my sander... all cheap chinese.

Hell, my orbital sander was $15 !!! AND it works fantastically and
it has dust collection/removal features.

These republitard idiots forgot how to enjoy the fruits of their
nation as they claimed something was taken from them which they never
had to start with. It doesn't get any more stupid than a "white
supremacist" "master race" dumbfuck. Thanks, idiots, for messing up
the nation and it global image. We will extricate your lame asses,
even if it is one by one.

Mowbrain is yet another example of a complete idiot on the big
picture view. Hell, he is a complete idiot on pert near every
fucking thing.

We ALL took a little standard of living hit compared to our
forefathers, but this is STILL the greatest nation and it always will
be.
Trump supporters are retarded far right pussies unable to admit
that they are the fucking problem.

Re: Bought a cheap hot-air workstation.

<5imfrgd15i46336rgeejpth5k2cne79o02@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=84753&group=sci.electronics.design#84753

From: speffS...@interlogDOTyou.knowwhat (Spehro Pefhany)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2021 23:23:17 -0500
 by: Spehro Pefhany - Tue, 14 Dec 2021 04:23 UTC

On Mon, 13 Dec 2021 02:40:53 -0000 (UTC), John Doe
<always.look@message.header> wrote:

>Ralph Mowery <rmowery42@charter.net> wrote:
>
>> sylvia@email.invalid says...
>
>>> So is the nozzle.
>>>
>>> So when removing the nozzle, it's just a matter of which friction wins.
>>> Not sure why the nozzle was so well attached, but it was.
>>>
>>> The tube can be reattached, but the ground connection has been
>>> compromised, making it unsafe.
>>>
>>> I expect I'll get a refund.
>
>> I bought one of the hot air stations that had a similar air wand and a
>> soldering pencil a few years ago and sofar it has been fine. Forgot
>> what I paid, but it was less than $ 100 US dollars.
>
>Good for you.
>
>What's the brand name? No idea? No longer available? Then your anecdote
>means squat.
>
>The problem is the Chinese Communist Party is destroying brand names. Brand
>names help consumers choose good products. The cheap things I have are by
>"brands" that are no longer available.
>
>Look at the Chinese junk you have and see how many of those "brands" are
>still available...

Haier.. no problem.

DJI.. no problem

Creality .. no problem.