You will lose an important tape file.

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Silca Hiro Pump Head

SubjectAuthor
* Silca Hiro Pump HeadTom Kunich
+* Re: Silca Hiro Pump HeadLou Holtman
|`- Re: Silca Hiro Pump Headfunkma...@hotmail.com
+* Re: Silca Hiro Pump HeadFrank Krygowski
|`- Re: Silca Hiro Pump Headfunkma...@hotmail.com
`* Re: Silca Hiro Pump HeadAMuzi
 `* Re: Silca Hiro Pump HeadTom Kunich
  `* Re: Silca Hiro Pump HeadLou Holtman
   `* Re: Silca Hiro Pump HeadTom Kunich
    +- Re: Silca Hiro Pump HeadAMuzi
    +* Re: Silca Hiro Pump HeadLou Holtman
    |`* Re: Silca Hiro Pump HeadTom Kunich
    | `* Re: Silca Hiro Pump HeadLou Holtman
    |  +- Re: Silca Hiro Pump HeadTom Kunich
    |  `* Re: Silca Hiro Pump HeadTom Kunich
    |   `- Re: Silca Hiro Pump HeadTony Mike
    `- Re: Silca Hiro Pump HeadFrank Krygowski

1
Silca Hiro Pump Head

<7bcef09a-c536-4d20-ac6b-6bdd59df3a5cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=84817&group=rec.bicycles.tech#84817

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2023 07:53:47 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Silca Hiro Pump Head
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Thu, 22 Jun 2023 14:53 UTC

I have had continuous problems with the pumps around here. I bought a Silca Track pump and it turned out not to be ANYTHING, like the track pumps I used before that had a slip joint in the head that took the pressure off of the seal so that it would take the pressure off of the seal when you slipped it over the Presta valve and then put it back when you released it. That was the brass headed piece that looked just like the pump head with the slip joint. On the Silca pump I bought.

Then they advertises a look-alike aluminum head that I bought and it too did NOT release the pressure on the seal so that it wore out very rapidly. Since the seals are $10 apiece one wonders why they changed unless if was to reap the rewards.

Not they advertised a Hiro pump head that supposedly lever locked. So I paid another $70 plus shipping and handling and tax.

It did not work from the first day. It would simply turn sideways on the valve and leak all of the air out of the tube. I began corresponding with Silca and Sales began passing on this ridiculous suggestions like "Send me a movie of how you're using it".

This caused me to take the Hiro head apart. And discover that it contains NO MOVING parts except for the lever that is shown in the incorrect position (backwards) the moving lever does NOTHING internal to the head so it cannot take any pressure off of the seal or put pressure back on.

Now Silca used to be the ONLY go-to pump company so what the hell has happened to them? Either they fired all of their engineers or hired ones like Frank or Flunky.

The majority of pumps available around here have silly pump heads designed to allow you to pump up Presta OR Schrader valves. ALL high end sports bikes use Presta tubes or tubeless valves. So what the hell happened to a decent Presta valve pump. Not to mention "pump accessories" for inflating Footballs or inflatable pools for children.

I bought another pump from Velowurks that had a Presta valve on one side of the head and a Schrader on the other. Well, they seemed to have gone out of business and I can't get a replacement seals for them now. So that pump is now useless.

I am presently down to using CO2 catridges and I cannot tell the inflation pressure with those beyond feel.

Is there NO pumps in the world that are actually designed to inflate Presta valve tubes without needing to replace the seals ever couple of months?

Re: Silca Hiro Pump Head

<71b53078-23cf-4638-a5b6-3d29a9e33a29n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=84824&group=rec.bicycles.tech#84824

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2023 08:42:26 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Silca Hiro Pump Head
From: lou.holt...@gmail.com (Lou Holtman)
 by: Lou Holtman - Thu, 22 Jun 2023 15:42 UTC

On Thursday, June 22, 2023 at 4:53:49 PM UTC+2, Tom Kunich wrote:
> I have had continuous problems with the pumps around here. I bought a Silca Track pump and it turned out not to be ANYTHING, like the track pumps I used before that had a slip joint in the head that took the pressure off of the seal so that it would take the pressure off of the seal when you slipped it over the Presta valve and then put it back when you released it. That was the brass headed piece that looked just like the pump head with the slip joint. On the Silca pump I bought.
>
> Then they advertises a look-alike aluminum head that I bought and it too did NOT release the pressure on the seal so that it wore out very rapidly. Since the seals are $10 apiece one wonders why they changed unless if was to reap the rewards.
>
> Not they advertised a Hiro pump head that supposedly lever locked. So I paid another $70 plus shipping and handling and tax.
>
> It did not work from the first day. It would simply turn sideways on the valve and leak all of the air out of the tube. I began corresponding with Silca and Sales began passing on this ridiculous suggestions like "Send me a movie of how you're using it".
>
> This caused me to take the Hiro head apart. And discover that it contains NO MOVING parts except for the lever that is shown in the incorrect position (backwards) the moving lever does NOTHING internal to the head so it cannot take any pressure off of the seal or put pressure back on.
>
> Now Silca used to be the ONLY go-to pump company so what the hell has happened to them? Either they fired all of their engineers or hired ones like Frank or Flunky.
>
> The majority of pumps available around here have silly pump heads designed to allow you to pump up Presta OR Schrader valves. ALL high end sports bikes use Presta tubes or tubeless valves. So what the hell happened to a decent Presta valve pump. Not to mention "pump accessories" for inflating Footballs or inflatable pools for children.
>
> I bought another pump from Velowurks that had a Presta valve on one side of the head and a Schrader on the other. Well, they seemed to have gone out of business and I can't get a replacement seals for them now. So that pump is now useless.
>
> I am presently down to using CO2 catridges and I cannot tell the inflation pressure with those beyond feel.
>
> Is there NO pumps in the world that are actually designed to inflate Presta valve tubes without needing to replace the seals ever couple of months?

Works fine here. Like I mentioned the pump head is heavy so position the valve in the 6 o clock position. Oh and first pre adjust the preload on the rubber ring.

Lou

Re: Silca Hiro Pump Head

<5a3ad648-822b-48bc-a79f-0395ae0bfa7fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=84826&group=rec.bicycles.tech#84826

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2023 08:55:24 -0700 (PDT)
From: funkmast...@hotmail.com (funkma...@hotmail.com)
 by: funkma...@hotmail.co - Thu, 22 Jun 2023 15:55 UTC

On Thursday, June 22, 2023 at 11:42:28 AM UTC-4, Lou Holtman wrote:
> On Thursday, June 22, 2023 at 4:53:49 PM UTC+2, Tom Kunich wrote:
> > I have had continuous problems with the pumps around here. I bought a Silca Track pump and it turned out not to be ANYTHING, like the track pumps I used before that had a slip joint in the head that took the pressure off of the seal so that it would take the pressure off of the seal when you slipped it over the Presta valve and then put it back when you released it. That was the brass headed piece that looked just like the pump head with the slip joint. On the Silca pump I bought.
> >
> > Then they advertises a look-alike aluminum head that I bought and it too did NOT release the pressure on the seal so that it wore out very rapidly.. Since the seals are $10 apiece one wonders why they changed unless if was to reap the rewards.
> >
> > Not they advertised a Hiro pump head that supposedly lever locked. So I paid another $70 plus shipping and handling and tax.
> >
> > It did not work from the first day. It would simply turn sideways on the valve and leak all of the air out of the tube. I began corresponding with Silca and Sales began passing on this ridiculous suggestions like "Send me a movie of how you're using it".
> >
> > This caused me to take the Hiro head apart. And discover that it contains NO MOVING parts except for the lever that is shown in the incorrect position (backwards) the moving lever does NOTHING internal to the head so it cannot take any pressure off of the seal or put pressure back on.
> >
> > Now Silca used to be the ONLY go-to pump company so what the hell has happened to them? Either they fired all of their engineers or hired ones like Frank or Flunky.
> >
> > The majority of pumps available around here have silly pump heads designed to allow you to pump up Presta OR Schrader valves. ALL high end sports bikes use Presta tubes or tubeless valves. So what the hell happened to a decent Presta valve pump. Not to mention "pump accessories" for inflating Footballs or inflatable pools for children.
> >
> > I bought another pump from Velowurks that had a Presta valve on one side of the head and a Schrader on the other. Well, they seemed to have gone out of business and I can't get a replacement seals for them now. So that pump is now useless.
> >
> > I am presently down to using CO2 catridges and I cannot tell the inflation pressure with those beyond feel.
> >
> > Is there NO pumps in the world that are actually designed to inflate Presta valve tubes without needing to replace the seals ever couple of months?
> Works fine here. Like I mentioned the pump head is heavy so position the valve in the 6 o clock position. Oh and first pre adjust the preload on the rubber ring.
>
> Lou

I have an old blackburn pump that I've kept in my car for over ten years, it was old before I decided to replace it with a Cannondale branded pump I keep in the basement (now ten years old). I don't have sealing issues with either one.

The blackburn is so old and beat-up that the plastic retaining nut on the head cracked and broke off a few years ago, so the head is held on just by friction around the hose. It still pumps up to 100 PSI fine with no leakage around the head and no noticeable added effort from any leakage internally, and this thing has spent several winters in the car. The only thing wrong with it is that the gauge now reads 20 PSI low.

Re: Silca Hiro Pump Head

<u71rd8$3b9n9$6@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=84830&group=rec.bicycles.tech#84830

From: frkry...@sbcglobal.net (Frank Krygowski)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2023 12:03:51 -0400
 by: Frank Krygowski - Thu, 22 Jun 2023 16:03 UTC

On 6/22/2023 10:53 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> I have had continuous problems with the pumps around here. ...
>
> Now Silca used to be the ONLY go-to pump company so what the hell has happened to them? Either they fired all of their engineers or hired ones like Frank or Flunky.

Hmm. Let's consider the possibilities.

One possibility is that Silca fired all their previous engineers and the
current ones can't design a pump head.

The other possibility is this is yet another operator problem for the
guy whose handlebars slip, whose derailleurs won't stay adjusted, whose
bottom brackets have mismatched parts, whose electronic shifting doesn't
work, whose seatpost slips down while riding - or perhaps before riding,
and who has posted myriad other problems. Oh, and to give credit for
miracle cures of problems, whose top tube dents magically disappear due
to road vibrations!

I'm betting the problem isn't with the engineers.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Re: Silca Hiro Pump Head

<u71sno$3bq88$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=84834&group=rec.bicycles.tech#84834

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2023 11:26:33 -0500
 by: AMuzi - Thu, 22 Jun 2023 16:26 UTC

On 6/22/2023 9:53 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> I have had continuous problems with the pumps around here. I bought a Silca Track pump and it turned out not to be ANYTHING, like the track pumps I used before that had a slip joint in the head that took the pressure off of the seal so that it would take the pressure off of the seal when you slipped it over the Presta valve and then put it back when you released it. That was the brass headed piece that looked just like the pump head with the slip joint. On the Silca pump I bought.
>
> Then they advertises a look-alike aluminum head that I bought and it too did NOT release the pressure on the seal so that it wore out very rapidly. Since the seals are $10 apiece one wonders why they changed unless if was to reap the rewards.
>
> Not they advertised a Hiro pump head that supposedly lever locked. So I paid another $70 plus shipping and handling and tax.
>
> It did not work from the first day. It would simply turn sideways on the valve and leak all of the air out of the tube. I began corresponding with Silca and Sales began passing on this ridiculous suggestions like "Send me a movie of how you're using it".
>
> This caused me to take the Hiro head apart. And discover that it contains NO MOVING parts except for the lever that is shown in the incorrect position (backwards) the moving lever does NOTHING internal to the head so it cannot take any pressure off of the seal or put pressure back on.
>
> Now Silca used to be the ONLY go-to pump company so what the hell has happened to them? Either they fired all of their engineers or hired ones like Frank or Flunky.
>
> The majority of pumps available around here have silly pump heads designed to allow you to pump up Presta OR Schrader valves. ALL high end sports bikes use Presta tubes or tubeless valves. So what the hell happened to a decent Presta valve pump. Not to mention "pump accessories" for inflating Footballs or inflatable pools for children.
>
> I bought another pump from Velowurks that had a Presta valve on one side of the head and a Schrader on the other. Well, they seemed to have gone out of business and I can't get a replacement seals for them now. So that pump is now useless.
>
> I am presently down to using CO2 catridges and I cannot tell the inflation pressure with those beyond feel.
>
> Is there NO pumps in the world that are actually designed to inflate Presta valve tubes without needing to replace the seals ever couple of months?

The classic #74 head and later variants:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/silca74.jpg

All work exactly the same, brass, aluminum both, even the
nylon/brass version. Don't overtighten the collar with a
new seal. You should have a firm but not extreme pressure to
push it over your valve and a moderate not extreme pull to
remove. As the seal wears you can increase the tension on
the collar.

Locking pump head 1 minute video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hotzVRXhXlc

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Re: Silca Hiro Pump Head

<d205288f-83c3-4466-be86-54694c07c6f6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=84838&group=rec.bicycles.tech#84838

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2023 11:08:53 -0700 (PDT)
From: funkmast...@hotmail.com (funkma...@hotmail.com)
 by: funkma...@hotmail.co - Thu, 22 Jun 2023 18:08 UTC

On Thursday, June 22, 2023 at 12:03:58 PM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
> On 6/22/2023 10:53 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> > I have had continuous problems with the pumps around here. ...
> >
> > Now Silca used to be the ONLY go-to pump company so what the hell has happened to them? Either they fired all of their engineers or hired ones like Frank or Flunky.
> Hmm. Let's consider the possibilities.
>
> One possibility is that Silca fired all their previous engineers and the
> current ones can't design a pump head.
>
> The other possibility is this is yet another operator problem for the
> guy whose handlebars slip, whose derailleurs won't stay adjusted, whose
> bottom brackets have mismatched parts, whose electronic shifting doesn't
> work, whose seatpost slips down while riding - or perhaps before riding,
> and who has posted myriad other problems. Oh, and to give credit for
> miracle cures of problems, whose top tube dents magically disappear due
> to road vibrations!

And special campagnolo non-stretch shifter cables.

> I'm betting the problem isn't with the engineers.
>
> --
> - Frank Krygowski

Re: Silca Hiro Pump Head

<df63b1d5-aa3f-4365-8789-ff86230ec2b8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=84855&group=rec.bicycles.tech#84855

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2023 15:14:37 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Thu, 22 Jun 2023 22:14 UTC

On Thursday, June 22, 2023 at 9:26:36 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > I bought another pump from Velowurks that had a Presta valve on one side of the head and a Schrader on the other. Well, they seemed to have gone out of business and I can't get a replacement seals for them now. So that pump is now useless.
> >
> > I am presently down to using CO2 catridges and I cannot tell the inflation pressure with those beyond feel.
> >
> > Is there NO pumps in the world that are actually designed to inflate Presta valve tubes without needing to replace the seals ever couple of months?
> >
> The classic #74 head and later variants:
> http://www.yellowjersey.org/silca74.jpg
>
> All work exactly the same, brass, aluminum both, even the
> nylon/brass version. Don't overtighten the collar with a
> new seal. You should have a firm but not extreme pressure to
> push it over your valve and a moderate not extreme pull to
> remove. As the seal wears you can increase the tension on

That video is why I paid $70 for a damned pump head. However, it does not and can not lock on since there are NO internal moving parts unless they sent me one that has missing parts. All that external lever does is move the lever against a wave washer. Nothing internal moves so there is no locking of the Presta Valve into the rubber seal.

I suppose that there is always the chance that they sent me one missing internal parts but I can't see how any internal parts could work with the external mechanism which really does nothing.

As for you pictures of the Brass pump head - those top parts screw onto the mechanism. Then hold the Rubber Seal into place. The original pump head I had looked identical but rather than a screw on - it was spring loaded and you would pull it toward the hose which would relieve all of the pressure on the seal. It would more or less slip right over the Presta valve without any force and then when you released the outer part the spring would push it back into place so it looked just like that but would have exerted pressure on the seal. I seem to remember that they would eventually need the Rubber Seal replaced but it took a long time. The one's you're showing is like the one I have except that it is threaded onto the hose rather than a press fit into the hose. It wears the rubber seal out (IF you have the proper seal (red)) in a couple of months and a new one is about $15 for the seal and shipping and handling and tax from Silca.

There was another head from a different manufacturer that was supposed to have almost zero insertion pressure and supposedly would lock tightly just from air pressure. I bought on of those but it had a Female rather than a Male end fitting and the threads were entirely different. When I got a female to female converter so that it would work on the VeloWurks pump - it didn't work at all.

I see some pumps that appear to have a single lever head but the description says that they work either for Presta or Shrader valves. And they appear to be made entirely out of plastic.

Re: Silca Hiro Pump Head

<749b243f-adea-4737-a757-f3d4f2b9034an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=84868&group=rec.bicycles.tech#84868

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2023 01:57:53 -0700 (PDT)
From: lou.holt...@gmail.com (Lou Holtman)
 by: Lou Holtman - Fri, 23 Jun 2023 08:57 UTC

On Friday, June 23, 2023 at 12:14:39 AM UTC+2, Tom Kunich wrote:
> [...]
>
> There was another head from a different manufacturer that was supposed to have almost zero insertion pressure and supposedly would lock tightly just from air pressure. I bought on of those but it had a Female rather than a Male end fitting and the threads were entirely different. When I got a female to female converter so that it would work on the VeloWurks pump - it didn't work at all.
>
> I see some pumps that appear to have a single lever head but the description says that they work either for Presta or Shrader valves. And they appear to be made entirely out of plastic.

Look at the rubber seal/grommet while closing the lever as shown in the video. The diameter of the hole should decrease a bit. This produces the clamping around the stem. It is subtle. This is why you have to set up the collar first correctly otherwise the decrease in diameter of the hole doesn't result in (enough) clamping force. Set up correctly it works perfectly.

Lou

Re: Silca Hiro Pump Head

<b254ad34-da15-4861-98ca-4809d02ad31cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=84889&group=rec.bicycles.tech#84889

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2023 08:15:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Fri, 23 Jun 2023 15:15 UTC

On Friday, June 23, 2023 at 1:57:56 AM UTC-7, Lou Holtman wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > I see some pumps that appear to have a single lever head but the description says that they work either for Presta or Shrader valves. And they appear to be made entirely out of plastic.
> Look at the rubber seal/grommet while closing the lever as shown in the video. The diameter of the hole should decrease a bit. This produces the clamping around the stem. It is subtle. This is why you have to set up the collar first correctly otherwise the decrease in diameter of the hole doesn't result in (enough) clamping force. Set up correctly it works perfectly.

OK, I see the motion. It is so slight as to be almost undetectable. you cannot screw the outside cap on even finger tight. It never occurred to me that you must have the cap actually loose. And after that now I am thinking that perhaps the other pump heads also needed the tops somewhat loose to reduce wear on the seals.

After many emails to Silca you'd think that they could make that clear. Also - WHY do you suppose that they machined a ramp on the opposite side of the lever if the it was unusable? I also had a problem trying to pull the pump head off of the Presta valve.

Thanks for the help though I hardly think that this works $70 per head better.

Re: Silca Hiro Pump Head

<u74efv$3oroa$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=84898&group=rec.bicycles.tech#84898

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2023 10:41:49 -0500
 by: AMuzi - Fri, 23 Jun 2023 15:41 UTC

On 6/23/2023 10:15 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> Lou
>
> OK, I see the motion. It is so slight as to be almost undetectable. you cannot screw the outside cap on even finger tight. It never occurred to me that you must have the cap actually loose. And after that now I am thinking that perhaps the other pump heads also needed the tops somewhat loose to reduce wear on the seals.
>
> After many emails to Silca you'd think that they could make that clear. Also - WHY do you suppose that they machined a ramp on the opposite side of the lever if the it was unusable? I also had a problem trying to pull the pump head off of the Presta valve.
>
> Thanks for the help though I hardly think that this works $70 per head better.

A happy ending then.

The general concept carries across most heads with
replaceable seals or with a locking system (i.e., not
screw-on heads)

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Re: Silca Hiro Pump Head

<baa4b381-daba-42b7-8162-b5fa2d6e75f2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=84899&group=rec.bicycles.tech#84899

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2023 08:41:55 -0700 (PDT)
From: lou.holt...@gmail.com (Lou Holtman)
 by: Lou Holtman - Fri, 23 Jun 2023 15:41 UTC

On Friday, June 23, 2023 at 5:15:19 PM UTC+2, Tom Kunich wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > Lou
> OK, I see the motion. It is so slight as to be almost undetectable. you cannot screw the outside cap on even finger tight. It never occurred to me that you must have the cap actually loose. And after that now I am thinking that perhaps the other pump heads also needed the tops somewhat loose to reduce wear on the seals.
>
> After many emails to Silca you'd think that they could make that clear. Also - WHY do you suppose that they machined a ramp on the opposite side of the lever if the it was unusable? I also had a problem trying to pull the pump head off of the Presta valve.
>
> Thanks for the help though I hardly think that this works $70 per head better.

It is nicely made but way too expensive like all Silca stuff. It was on the floor pump my colleagues gave me at my 40 years anniversary at work after I ran over my Rennkompressor with my car (don't ask). I had this pump head on my Rennkompressor:

https://www.bike-components.de/en/SKS/E-V-A-Valve-Head-p22108/

and it worked at least equally well than the Hiro head only the lever worked the other way round which I found awkward. The Hiro lever is more intuitive for me but that is minor.

Lou

Re: Silca Hiro Pump Head

<u74eu9$3ood1$6@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=84903&group=rec.bicycles.tech#84903

From: frkry...@sbcglobal.net (Frank Krygowski)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2023 11:49:30 -0400
 by: Frank Krygowski - Fri, 23 Jun 2023 15:49 UTC

On 6/23/2023 11:15 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:

> After many emails to Silca you'd think that they could make that clear.

"Hey Luigi! That guy from California is emailing us again! He's the only
customer who couldn't figure out how to use our pump. What should I tell
him this time?"

--
- Frank Krygowski

Re: Silca Hiro Pump Head

<f2b256b7-18d1-4278-80a7-da5f78752e82n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=84906&group=rec.bicycles.tech#84906

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2023 08:56:41 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Fri, 23 Jun 2023 15:56 UTC

On Friday, June 23, 2023 at 8:41:58 AM UTC-7, Lou Holtman wrote:
> On Friday, June 23, 2023 at 5:15:19 PM UTC+2, Tom Kunich wrote:

> > > Look at the rubber seal/grommet while closing the lever as shown in the video. The diameter of the hole should decrease a bit. This produces the clamping around the stem. It is subtle. This is why you have to set up the collar first correctly otherwise the decrease in diameter of the hole doesn't result in (enough) clamping force. Set up correctly it works perfectly.
> > >
> > > Lou
> > OK, I see the motion. It is so slight as to be almost undetectable. you cannot screw the outside cap on even finger tight. It never occurred to me that you must have the cap actually loose. And after that now I am thinking that perhaps the other pump heads also needed the tops somewhat loose to reduce wear on the seals.
> >
> > After many emails to Silca you'd think that they could make that clear. Also - WHY do you suppose that they machined a ramp on the opposite side of the lever if the it was unusable? I also had a problem trying to pull the pump head off of the Presta valve.
> >
> > Thanks for the help though I hardly think that this works $70 per head better.
> It is nicely made but way too expensive like all Silca stuff. It was on the floor pump my colleagues gave me at my 40 years anniversary at work after I ran over my Rennkompressor with my car (don't ask). I had this pump head on my Rennkompressor:
>
> https://www.bike-components.de/en/SKS/E-V-A-Valve-Head-p22108/
>
> and it worked at least equally well than the Hiro head only the lever worked the other way round which I found awkward. The Hiro lever is more intuitive for me but that is minor.
>
> Lou

Since they don't offer the seals for that head I suppose it takes a long time to wear them out. But it didn't feel that way since after loosening the lever it was still a job pulling it off. That might have been because the seal is actually loose in the head and you have to pull it tight to get it to release.

Re: Silca Hiro Pump Head

<707a4706-647e-4f9d-a3ec-3b1c8ccecb0bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=84917&group=rec.bicycles.tech#84917

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2023 09:35:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: lou.holt...@gmail.com (Lou Holtman)
 by: Lou Holtman - Fri, 23 Jun 2023 16:35 UTC

On Friday, June 23, 2023 at 5:56:43 PM UTC+2, Tom Kunich wrote:
> On Friday, June 23, 2023 at 8:41:58 AM UTC-7, Lou Holtman wrote:

> > > OK, I see the motion. It is so slight as to be almost undetectable. you cannot screw the outside cap on even finger tight. It never occurred to me that you must have the cap actually loose. And after that now I am thinking that perhaps the other pump heads also needed the tops somewhat loose to reduce wear on the seals.
> > >
> > > After many emails to Silca you'd think that they could make that clear. Also - WHY do you suppose that they machined a ramp on the opposite side of the lever if the it was unusable? I also had a problem trying to pull the pump head off of the Presta valve.
> > >
> > > Thanks for the help though I hardly think that this works $70 per head better.
> > It is nicely made but way too expensive like all Silca stuff. It was on the floor pump my colleagues gave me at my 40 years anniversary at work after I ran over my Rennkompressor with my car (don't ask). I had this pump head on my Rennkompressor:
> >
> > https://www.bike-components.de/en/SKS/E-V-A-Valve-Head-p22108/
> >
> > and it worked at least equally well than the Hiro head only the lever worked the other way round which I found awkward. The Hiro lever is more intuitive for me but that is minor.
> >
> > Lou
> Since they don't offer the seals for that head I suppose it takes a long time to wear them out. But it didn't feel that way since after loosening the lever it was still a job pulling it off. That might have been because the seal is actually loose in the head and you have to pull it tight to get it to release.

I think they offer the seals I have a spare somewhere.

Lou

Re: Silca Hiro Pump Head

<03108b04-b306-4881-afa3-c4fbf464da13n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=84919&group=rec.bicycles.tech#84919

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2023 09:38:02 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Fri, 23 Jun 2023 16:38 UTC

On Friday, June 23, 2023 at 9:35:19 AM UTC-7, Lou Holtman wrote:
> On Friday, June 23, 2023 at 5:56:43 PM UTC+2, Tom Kunich wrote:

> > > It is nicely made but way too expensive like all Silca stuff. It was on the floor pump my colleagues gave me at my 40 years anniversary at work after I ran over my Rennkompressor with my car (don't ask). I had this pump head on my Rennkompressor:
> > >
> > > https://www.bike-components.de/en/SKS/E-V-A-Valve-Head-p22108/
> > >
> > > and it worked at least equally well than the Hiro head only the lever worked the other way round which I found awkward. The Hiro lever is more intuitive for me but that is minor.
> > >
> > > Lou
> > Since they don't offer the seals for that head I suppose it takes a long time to wear them out. But it didn't feel that way since after loosening the lever it was still a job pulling it off. That might have been because the seal is actually loose in the head and you have to pull it tight to get it to release.
> I think they offer the seals I have a spare somewhere.
>
> Lou
I'll look again and if they have them I will order a spare or two.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Silca Hiro Pump Head

<c36f9453-a30e-4fc6-b126-a69a88e8f677n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=84920&group=rec.bicycles.tech#84920

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2023 09:48:42 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Fri, 23 Jun 2023 16:48 UTC

<e97a2951-1196-4cef-aff3-6a560e10620bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89590&group=rec.bicycles.tech#89590

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2023 14:49:28 -0700 (PDT)
From: tonnymik...@gmail.com (Tony Mike)
 by: Tony Mike - Sun, 20 Aug 2023 21:49 UTC

https://alphaspirituality.com
https://alphaspirituality.com/product/purple-mdma/
https://alphaspirituality.com/product/rybelsus-weight-loss/
https://alphaspirituality.com/product/buy-ozempic-online/