I just forgot my whole philosophy of life!!!

arts / alt.fan.heinlein / Re: Thoughts on "Irontown Blues" (in his Eight Worlds series) by John Varley

SubjectAuthor
* Thoughts on "Irontown Blues" (in his Eight Worlds series) by Johna425couple
`* Re: Thoughts on "Irontown Blues" (in his Eight Worlds series) by JohnLynn McGuire
 `* Re: Thoughts on "Irontown Blues" (in his Eight Worlds series) by JohnTony Vickers
  `- Re: Thoughts on "Irontown Blues" (in his Eight Worlds series) by Johna425couple

1
Thoughts on "Irontown Blues" (in his Eight Worlds series) by John Varley

<4qz2M.1609600$MVg8.1313927@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=848&group=alt.fan.heinlein#848

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,alt.fan.heinlein
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Subject: Thoughts on "Irontown Blues" (in his Eight Worlds series) by John
Varley
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2023 11:46:23 -0700
 by: a425couple - Thu, 27 Apr 2023 18:46 UTC

Thoughts on "Irontown Blues" (in his Eight Worlds series) by John Varley
I found this book quite pleasant and enjoyable.
But then , maybe I'm a sucker for these good things.

I find John Varley always writes quality stuff.
Chris is a fine 'noir' LA detective.
I really enjoyed his dog Sherlock, and would love to read more of
his and his friend's points of view.
The "Eight Worlds" is a fine 'universe' (humans have been evicted from
Earth.
There is a cult following of Heinlein.
289 fairly big print pages.

here is the Amazon citation:
https://www.amazon.com/Irontown-Blues-Eight-Worlds-Varley/dp/1101989378

Irontown Blues (Eight Worlds) by John Varley
They rate it a 4.3, and currently available used delivered to your
door for $5.49.

Their teaser is:
"From a master of science fiction comes a brand-new noir novel set in
the Eight Worlds universe, where a detective hunts for the biohackers
who have created a dangerous new disease.
Christopher Bach was a policeman in one of the largest Lunar cities when
the A.I. Lunar Central Computer had a breakdown. Known as the Big
Glitch, the problem turned out to be a larger war than anyone expected.
When order was restored, Chris's life could never be the same. Now he's
a private detective, assisted by his genetically altered dog Sherlock,
and emulates the tough guys in the noir books and movies that he loves.
When Bach takes the case of a woman involuntarily infected with an
engineered virus, he is on the hunt to track down the biohackers in the
infamous district of Irontown. But if he wants to save humanity, he'll
have to confront his own demons."

From one of the reviewers, "About a third of the book is narrated by a
dog. Seriously. An unusual dog to be sure, but how very easily this
could have dragged the story down into Disneyesque glurge. To put it
mildly, it didn't. Varley clearly made a tremendous effort to get into
the head of this non-human creature, and he succeeded, brilliantly:
Sherlock is completely believable and an absolute delight, not to
mention in some ways the true hero of the story."

Here is the Goodreads citation:
https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/37504319
They rate it a 3.85.

One reviewer (Henry Avila) describes the 'Eight Worlds' series as
"Earth's satellite Luna has now become the main territory of the
human population, a few hundred years after Aliens from another
star system invaded and conquered our good Terra but not before
killing and driving out its people."

Regular reviewer Lyn says, "Varley returns to this idea in his latest
novel set in this world building and we find our hero living on Luna
working as a private eye. Luna is as Robert A. Heinlein imagined it in
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, full of burrowed habitats and getting
along quite nicely thank you very much.
And speaking of Heinlein, Irontown Blues is a homage to the late
Grandmaster as Varley explores many RAH themes like libertarianism, a
sentient computer and generational ships. There is even a section of
Luna called Heinlein Town full of a loss confederacy of Loonies called
Heinleiners, free thinking do-it-yourselfers all."
also "Sherlock is a dog who has been augmented with special intelligence
and his chapters are rare gems and easily steal the show.

Here is the citation for James Davis Nicoll's review:
https://www.tor.com/2018/09/10/john-varleys-returns-to-eight-worlds-irontown-blues/
He also liked the dog, "Bach may be but a pawn in a deadly game,
but his faithful dog is at least a knight."

By the way, here is the wiki for "Eight Worlds" if I have not
been clear enough.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eight_Worlds

Re: Thoughts on "Irontown Blues" (in his Eight Worlds series) by John Varley

<u2etan$23r8r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=849&group=alt.fan.heinlein#849

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,alt.fan.heinlein
Varley
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2023 17:35:03 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Thu, 27 Apr 2023 22:35 UTC

On 4/27/2023 1:46 PM, a425couple wrote:
> [...]
> The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, full of burrowed habitats and getting
> along quite nicely thank you very much.
> And speaking of Heinlein, Irontown Blues is a homage to the late
> Grandmaster as Varley explores many RAH themes like libertarianism, a
> sentient computer and generational ships. There is even a section of
> Luna called Heinlein Town full of a loss confederacy of Loonies called
> Heinleiners, free thinking do-it-yourselfers all."
> also "Sherlock is a dog who has been augmented with special intelligence
> and his chapters are rare gems and easily steal the show.
>
> Here is the citation for James Davis Nicoll's review:
> https://www.tor.com/2018/09/10/john-varleys-returns-to-eight-worlds-irontown-blues/
> He also liked the dog, "Bach may be but a pawn in a deadly game,
> but his faithful dog is at least a knight."
>
> By the way, here is the wiki for "Eight Worlds" if I have not

I have this book in my SBR (strategic book reserve) and need to read it.

The Eight Worlds universe is a very strange place. And orbiting a
pristine Earth would probably drive people crazy.

Varley is one of my favorite authors even if he is an extreme liberal.
His Thunder and Lightning series is one of my 20+ six star books. Very
Heinleinesque.

Thanks,
Lynn

Re: Thoughts on "Irontown Blues" (in his Eight Worlds series) by John Varley

<UVQ2M.635232$PXw7.461339@fx45.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=851&group=alt.fan.heinlein#851

Varley
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,alt.fan.heinlein
From: zeb.cart...@gmail.com (Tony Vickers)
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2023 09:40:51 -0500
 by: Tony Vickers - Fri, 28 Apr 2023 14:40 UTC

Lynn McGuire wrote:
> [...]
>> also "Sherlock is a dog who has been augmented with special
>> intelligence and his chapters are rare gems and easily steal the show.
>>
>> Here is the citation for James Davis Nicoll's review:
>> https://www.tor.com/2018/09/10/john-varleys-returns-to-eight-worlds-irontown-blues/
>>
>> He also liked the dog, "Bach may be but a pawn in a deadly game,
>> but his faithful dog is at least a knight."
>>
>> By the way, here is the wiki for "Eight Worlds" if I have not
>> been clear enough.
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eight_Worlds
>
> I have this book in my SBR (strategic book reserve) and need to read it.
>
> The Eight Worlds universe is a very strange place.  And orbiting a
> pristine Earth would probably drive people crazy.
>
> Varley is one of my favorite authors even if he is an extreme liberal.
> His Thunder and Lightning series is one of my 20+ six star books.  Very

Is this book a part of his Ophiuchus Hotline series? As I recall,
mankind was forced off Earth by aliens who considered Cetaceans the
superior life form.

I could be mistaken on the series but from the description, it sounds
like that series is connected.

Re: Thoughts on "Irontown Blues" (in his Eight Worlds series) by John Varley

<x3U2M.196107$LAYb.19792@fx02.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=852&group=alt.fan.heinlein#852

Varley
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,alt.fan.heinlein
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2023 11:15:57 -0700
 by: a425couple - Fri, 28 Apr 2023 18:15 UTC

On 4/28/23 07:40, Tony Vickers wrote:
> Lynn McGuire wrote:
>> On 4/27/2023 1:46 PM, a425couple wrote:
>>> Thoughts on "Irontown Blues" (in his Eight Worlds series) by John
Varley
>>> I found this book quite pleasant and enjoyable.
>>> But then , maybe I'm a sucker for these good things.
>>>
>>> I find John Varley always writes quality stuff.
>>> Chris is a fine 'noir' LA detective.
>>> I really enjoyed his dog Sherlock, and would love to read more of
>>> his and his friend's points of view.
>>> The "Eight Worlds" is a fine 'universe' (humans have been evicted from
>>> Earth.
>>> There is a cult following of Heinlein.
>>> 289 fairly big print pages.
>>>
>>> here is the Amazon citation:
>>> https://www.amazon.com/Irontown-Blues-Eight-Worlds-Varley/dp/1101989378
>>>
>>> Irontown Blues (Eight Worlds) by John Varley
>>> They rate it a 4.3, and currently available used delivered to your
>>> door for $5.49.

snip

>>> Here is the citation for James Davis Nicoll's review:

https://www.tor.com/2018/09/10/john-varleys-returns-to-eight-worlds-irontown-blues/
>>> He also liked the dog, "Bach may be but a pawn in a deadly game,
>>> but his faithful dog is at least a knight."
>>>
>>> By the way, here is the wiki for "Eight Worlds" if I have not
>>> been clear enough.
>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eight_Worlds
>>
>> I have this book in my SBR (strategic book reserve) and need to read it.

I know that feeling. I have a huge plenty.
But, if you care for my opinion, I'd move "Irontown Blues"
up and read it soon. Funny, a number of reviewers / commenters
mentioned it as 'lessor' that "Steel Beach". Well, possibly
showing my failures, but I've gotten straight through
"Irontown Blues" and enjoyed it, but I have gotten stalled
out at least twice on "Steel Beach".

>> The Eight Worlds universe is a very strange place. And orbiting a
pristine Earth would probably drive people crazy.

I believe the above (depression) is cited as one of the reasons
that the majority of humans living on the Moon have chosen
to live in cities / colonies on the Far Side of the Moon.

>> Varley is one of my favorite authors even if he is an extreme
liberal. His Thunder and Lightning series is one of my 20+ six star
books. Very Heinleinesque.

>> Thanks,
>> Lynn
>>
> Is this book a part of his Ophiuchus Hotline series? As I recall,
mankind was forced off Earth by aliens who considered Cetaceans the
superior life form.
> I could be mistaken on the series but from the description, it sounds
like that series is connected.

Excerpt from the wiki on Eight Worlds:
Novels
The Ophiuchi Hotline (1977) - Locus Award nominee, 1978[4]
Steel Beach (1992) - Hugo and Locus Awards nominee, 1993[5]
The Golden Globe (1998) - Locus Award nominee, 1999[6]
Irontown Blues (2018)

So - Mostly yes, the "Ophiuchi Hotline" was his first book in this
series, or universe. "Irontown Blues" is the most recent.