To err is human, to forgive, beyond the scope of the Operating System.

tech / sci.electronics.design / Re: OFF TOPIC; Resonance of open end tube and node position

SubjectAuthor
* OFF TOPIC; Resonance of open end tube and node positionamdx
+* Re: OFF TOPIC; Resonance of open end tube and node positionMartin Brown
|`* Re: OFF TOPIC; Resonance of open end tube and node positionPhil Allison
| `* Re: OFF TOPIC; Resonance of open end tube and node positionamdx
|  `* Re: OFF TOPIC; Resonance of open end tube and node positionPhil Allison
|   `* Re: OFF TOPIC; Resonance of open end tube and node positionamdx
|    `* Re: OFF TOPIC; Resonance of open end tube and node positionPhil Allison
|     `- Re: OFF TOPIC; Resonance of open end tube and node positionamdx
+- Re: OFF TOPIC; Resonance of open end tube and node positionamdx
+* Re: OFF TOPIC; Resonance of open end tube and node positionRich S
> [...]
||          | `* Re: OFF TOPIC; Resonance of open end tube and node positionJasen Betts
||          |  +* Re: OFF TOPIC; Resonance of open end tube and node positionJohn Walliker
||          |  |`- Re: OFF TOPIC; Resonance of open end tube and node positionamdx
||          |  `- Re: OFF TOPIC; Resonance of open end tube and node positionamdx
||          `- Re: OFF TOPIC; Resonance of open end tube and node positionPhil Allison
|`* Re: OFF TOPIC; Resonance of open end tube and node positionRich S
| `* Re: OFF TOPIC; Resonance of open end tube and node positionamdx
|  `- Re: OFF TOPIC; Resonance of open end tube and node positionRich S
`* Re: OFF TOPIC; Resonance of open end tube and node positionPhil Allison
 `* Re: OFF TOPIC; Resonance of open end tube and node positionamdx
  `* Re: OFF TOPIC; Resonance of open end tube and node positionPhil Allison
   `- Re: OFF TOPIC; Resonance of open end tube and node positionamdx

Pages:123
Re: OFF TOPIC; Resonance of open end tube and node position

<a8bf68c2-79c4-4535-a168-3a88a74ae39dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=85225&group=sci.electronics.design#85225

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2021 04:28:16 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: OFF TOPIC; Resonance of open end tube and node position
From: palliso...@gmail.com (Phil Allison)
 by: Phil Allison - Sun, 19 Dec 2021 12:28 UTC

amdx wrote:
===========

** Fuck off Mikek

Re: OFF TOPIC; Resonance of open end tube and node position

<7e1e6d0e-c9b2-47ca-b682-0db33b2d979fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=85231&group=sci.electronics.design#85231

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2021 05:39:55 -0800 (PST)
From: jrwalli...@gmail.com (John Walliker)
 by: John Walliker - Sun, 19 Dec 2021 13:39 UTC

On Sunday, 19 December 2021 at 12:00:55 UTC, Jasen Betts wrote:
> On 2021-12-19, amdx <am...@knology.net> wrote:

> >> I may have missed it, but how many microphones do you intend to use?
> >>
> >> John
> >
> > It's possible I could use 22, IF, I put a mic on each resonant tube
> > 300Hz to 3000Hz.
> >
> > Or I may find a way to use just one. At this time, I find I need a
> > velocity type microphone
> >
> > to mount on a 1/2 wavelength open end tube. The only velocity type
> > microphone I find is a ribbon microphone,
> >
> > I don't expect to use a ribbon microphone. This 1964 design requires a
> > different build because most newer mics
> >
> > operate on pressure not velocity, like the mic that the design used.
> >
> a pressure microphome will still give a signal, but if mounted at the
> closed end the signal will be stronger.
>
> --
> Jasen.

I have looked at the original article and I really struggle to understand
how it could work as intended.
The microphone is glued into a funnel which appears to be sealed at
the back. So there is no rear port. Most shotgun mics rely on
cancellation between the front and back ports to give front-back
directivity.

John

Re: OFF TOPIC; Resonance of open end tube and node position

<spnd81$usn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=85233&group=sci.electronics.design#85233

From: amd...@knology.net (amdx)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2021 07:48:46 -0600
<spmc7u$iu2$1@dont-email.me>
<5f8995c1-b2c5-436b-a2c6-e9a8994b960en@googlegroups.com>
<spmu5e$vkj$1@dont-email.me>
<08d8b8b7-9481-4b35-8e70-4495cb4b8c2en@googlegroups.com>
<spn4tb$7as$1@dont-email.me> <spn63j$gii$1@gonzo.revmaps.no-ip.org>
 by: amdx - Sun, 19 Dec 2021 13:48 UTC

On 12/19/2021 5:46 AM, Jasen Betts wrote:
> On 2021-12-19, amdx <amdx@knology.net> wrote:

>>> I may have missed it, but how many microphones do you intend to use?
>>>
>>> John
>>  It's possible I could use 22, IF, I put a mic on each resonant tube
>> 300Hz to 3000Hz.
>>
>> Or I may find a way to use just one. At this time, I find I need a
>> velocity type microphone
>>
>> to mount on a 1/2 wavelength open end tube. The only velocity type
>> microphone I find is a ribbon microphone,
>>
>> I don't expect to use a ribbon microphone. This 1964 design requires a
>> different build because most newer mics
>>
>> operate on pressure not velocity, like the mic that the design used.
>>
> a pressure microphome will still give a signal, but if mounted at the
> closed end the signal will be stronger.

I've tested a few closed end 1/4 wavelength tubes mic'ed at closed end, with different diameters.
Preliminarily I don't see that diameter affects amplitude, nor is there any difference in amplitude
between, an end mic'ed 1/4 wavelength tube and a 1/2 wavelength center mounted mic'ed tube.
I want to get outside where I can get more distance between source and mic to see if tube diameter
affects the 3db off axis amplitude. The author of the original shotgun microphone used 3/8" O.D tubing.
I have used 1-3/8" I.D down to 1/2" I.D.
Looks like a rainy day, I use it to find/build an audio preamp/amp to work at longer distances.
Mikek

Re: OFF TOPIC; Resonance of open end tube and node position

<spnloh$p3k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=85243&group=sci.electronics.design#85243

From: amd...@knology.net (amdx)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2021 10:14:06 -0600
<spmc7u$iu2$1@dont-email.me>
<5f8995c1-b2c5-436b-a2c6-e9a8994b960en@googlegroups.com>
<spmu5e$vkj$1@dont-email.me>
<08d8b8b7-9481-4b35-8e70-4495cb4b8c2en@googlegroups.com>
<spn4tb$7as$1@dont-email.me> <spn63j$gii$1@gonzo.revmaps.no-ip.org>
<7e1e6d0e-c9b2-47ca-b682-0db33b2d979fn@googlegroups.com>
 by: amdx - Sun, 19 Dec 2021 16:14 UTC

On 12/19/2021 7:39 AM, John Walliker wrote:
> On Sunday, 19 December 2021 at 12:00:55 UTC, Jasen Betts wrote:

>>> It's possible I could use 22, IF, I put a mic on each resonant tube
>>> 300Hz to 3000Hz.
>>>
>>> Or I may find a way to use just one. At this time, I find I need a
>>> velocity type microphone
>>>
>>> to mount on a 1/2 wavelength open end tube. The only velocity type
>>> microphone I find is a ribbon microphone,
>>>
>>> I don't expect to use a ribbon microphone. This 1964 design requires a
>>> different build because most newer mics
>>>
>>> operate on pressure not velocity, like the mic that the design used.
>>>
>> a pressure microphome will still give a signal, but if mounted at the
>> closed end the signal will be stronger.
>>
>> --
>> Jasen.
> I have looked at the original article and I really struggle to understand
> how it could work as intended.
> The microphone is glued into a funnel which appears to be sealed at
> the back. So there is no rear port. Most shotgun mics rely on
> cancellation between the front and back ports to give front-back
> directivity.
>
> John

I question whether the 1/2 wavelength tube are actually sealed.
I don't think the author took great effort to seal around the funnel,
but, I think the 36 other tubes pointing to the front are an open end to
each of the other resonant tubes. (?)
If the tubes were sealed, from what I have learned about pressure and velocity,
nodes and antinodes, I also don't see how it would work.
Mikek