"Stupidity, like virtue, is its own reward" -- William E. Davidsen

tech / sci.astro.amateur / Re: James Lovelock: Influential green thinker dies aged 103

SubjectAuthor
* James Lovelock: Influential green thinker dies aged 103StarDust
+* Re: James Lovelock: Influential green thinker dies aged 103Martin Brown
|`* Re: James Lovelock: Influential green thinker dies aged 103StarDust
| `* Re: James Lovelock: Influential green thinker dies aged 103Chris L Peterson
|  +- Re: James Lovelock: Influential green thinker dies aged 103StarDust
|  `* Re: James Lovelock: Influential green thinker dies aged 103Martin Brown
|   +* Re: James Lovelock: Influential green thinker dies aged 103W
|   |`* Re: James Lovelock: Influential green thinker dies aged 103Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
|   | `* Re: James Lovelock: Influential green thinker dies aged 103Chris L Peterson
|   |  +- Re: James Lovelock: Influential green thinker dies aged 103StarDust
|   |  `- Re: James Lovelock: Influential green thinker dies aged 103Ninapenda Jibini
|   `* Re: James Lovelock: Influential green thinker dies aged 103Chris L Peterson
|    `- Re: James Lovelock: Influential green thinker dies aged 103Ninapenda Jibini
+- Re: James Lovelock: Influential green thinker dies aged 103StarDust
`- Re: James Lovelock: Influential green thinker dies aged 103Chris L Peterson

1
James Lovelock: Influential green thinker dies aged 103

<732bf8c4-4d2d-4830-a9df-13eda3a15466n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=8499&group=sci.astro.amateur#8499

Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 22:17:08 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: James Lovelock: Influential green thinker dies aged 103
From: csok...@gmail.com (StarDust)
 by: StarDust - Thu, 28 Jul 2022 05:17 UTC

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-62322575

British scientist James Lovelock, who devoted his life to the global green movement, has died on his 103rd birthday, his family has said.

His 1960s Gaia theory Earth, from rocks to air, was one huge interconnected and self-regulating system formed the basis of much of climate science.
And he had warned climate change could be a tipping point for the planet.

Back in the 90s, I read his book about the Gaia theory and I was bought!
Quite fascinating!

Re: James Lovelock: Influential green thinker dies aged 103

<tc02ui$18bo$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=8515&group=sci.astro.amateur#8515

From: '''newsp...@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2022 08:41:03 +0100
 by: Martin Brown - Fri, 29 Jul 2022 07:41 UTC

On 28/07/2022 06:17, StarDust wrote:
> https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-62322575
>
> British scientist James Lovelock, who devoted his life to the global green movement, has died on his 103rd birthday, his family has said.
>
> His 1960s Gaia theory Earth, from rocks to air, was one huge interconnected and self-regulating system formed the basis of much of climate science.
> And he had warned climate change could be a tipping point for the planet.

What you perhaps didn't know that long before that he was most famous
for inventing the extremely sensitive electron capture detector

https://www.sciencehistory.org/james-lovelocks-electron-capture-detector

They are a core part of ultra trace organic analysis even today.
Somewhat improved on his prototype but he made a step change in the
sensitivity available for ultra trace analysis.

It was exceptionally good for detecting CFC's in the upper atmosphere
and led indirectly to the Montreal protocol banning them.

> Back in the 90s, I read his book about the Gaia theory and I was bought!
> Quite fascinating!

It is even quite plausible. Earth will kill off off or severely curtail
any species that takes the planet too far out of equilibrium and that
includes us. Ants, cockroaches and rats will inherit the Earth!

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Re: James Lovelock: Influential green thinker dies aged 103

<7162e4ae-23ce-4ff2-9293-29909145a575n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=8516&group=sci.astro.amateur#8516

Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2022 02:15:36 -0700 (PDT)
From: csok...@gmail.com (StarDust)
 by: StarDust - Fri, 29 Jul 2022 09:15 UTC

On Friday, July 29, 2022 at 12:41:09 AM UTC-7, Martin Brown wrote:
> On 28/07/2022 06:17, StarDust wrote:
> > https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-62322575
> >
> > British scientist James Lovelock, who devoted his life to the global green movement, has died on his 103rd birthday, his family has said.
> >
> > His 1960s Gaia theory Earth, from rocks to air, was one huge interconnected and self-regulating system formed the basis of much of climate science.
> > And he had warned climate change could be a tipping point for the planet.
> What you perhaps didn't know that long before that he was most famous
> for inventing the extremely sensitive electron capture detector
>
> https://www.sciencehistory.org/james-lovelocks-electron-capture-detector
>
> They are a core part of ultra trace organic analysis even today.
> Somewhat improved on his prototype but he made a step change in the
> sensitivity available for ultra trace analysis.
>
> It was exceptionally good for detecting CFC's in the upper atmosphere
> and led indirectly to the Montreal protocol banning them.
> >
> > Back in the 90s, I read his book about the Gaia theory and I was bought!
> > Quite fascinating!
> It is even quite plausible. Earth will kill off off or severely curtail
> any species that takes the planet too far out of equilibrium and that
> includes us. Ants, cockroaches and rats will inherit the Earth!
>
> --
> Regards,
> Martin Brown

Maybe , returning to religion is the way to sustainability, balance and harmony with nature?
https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20220726-how-religious-worship-is-boosting-conservation-in-india

Re: James Lovelock: Influential green thinker dies aged 103

<5to7eh98aoon8vvudvjrl5f6190horalbt@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=8517&group=sci.astro.amateur#8517

From: clp...@alumni.caltech.edu (Chris L Peterson)
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2022 07:42:51 -0600
 by: Chris L Peterson - Fri, 29 Jul 2022 13:42 UTC

On Fri, 29 Jul 2022 02:15:36 -0700 (PDT), StarDust <csoka01@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Friday, July 29, 2022 at 12:41:09 AM UTC-7, Martin Brown wrote:
>> On 28/07/2022 06:17, StarDust wrote:
>> > https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-62322575
>> >
>> > British scientist James Lovelock, who devoted his life to the global green movement, has died on his 103rd birthday, his family has said.
>> >
>> > His 1960s Gaia theory Earth, from rocks to air, was one huge interconnected and self-regulating system formed the basis of much of climate science.
>> > And he had warned climate change could be a tipping point for the planet.
>> What you perhaps didn't know that long before that he was most famous
>> for inventing the extremely sensitive electron capture detector
>>
>> https://www.sciencehistory.org/james-lovelocks-electron-capture-detector
>>
>> They are a core part of ultra trace organic analysis even today.
>> Somewhat improved on his prototype but he made a step change in the
>> sensitivity available for ultra trace analysis.
>>
>> It was exceptionally good for detecting CFC's in the upper atmosphere
>> and led indirectly to the Montreal protocol banning them.
>> >
>> > Back in the 90s, I read his book about the Gaia theory and I was bought!
>> > Quite fascinating!
>> It is even quite plausible. Earth will kill off off or severely curtail
>> any species that takes the planet too far out of equilibrium and that
>> includes us. Ants, cockroaches and rats will inherit the Earth!
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Martin Brown
>
>Maybe , returning to religion is the way to sustainability, balance and harmony with nature?
>https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20220726-how-religious-worship-is-boosting-conservation-in-india

Religion always destroys, because it is based on falsehoods and is
inherently conservative (and conservatism always destroys).

Re: James Lovelock: Influential green thinker dies aged 103

<6313c3b0-e1e7-40c5-98f1-35c6dbcef8e3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=8518&group=sci.astro.amateur#8518

Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2022 11:34:11 -0700 (PDT)
From: csok...@gmail.com (StarDust)
 by: StarDust - Fri, 29 Jul 2022 18:34 UTC

On Friday, July 29, 2022 at 6:42:55 AM UTC-7, Chris L Peterson wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Jul 2022 02:15:36 -0700 (PDT), StarDust
> wrote:

> >> What you perhaps didn't know that long before that he was most famous
> >> for inventing the extremely sensitive electron capture detector
> >>
> >> https://www.sciencehistory.org/james-lovelocks-electron-capture-detector
> >>
> >> They are a core part of ultra trace organic analysis even today.
> >> Somewhat improved on his prototype but he made a step change in the
> >> sensitivity available for ultra trace analysis.
> >>
> >> It was exceptionally good for detecting CFC's in the upper atmosphere
> >> and led indirectly to the Montreal protocol banning them.

> >> It is even quite plausible. Earth will kill off off or severely curtail
> >> any species that takes the planet too far out of equilibrium and that
> >> includes us. Ants, cockroaches and rats will inherit the Earth!
> >>
> >> --
> >> Regards,
> >> Martin Brown
> >
> >Maybe , returning to religion is the way to sustainability, balance and harmony with nature?
> >https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20220726-how-religious-worship-is-boosting-conservation-in-india
> Religion always destroys, because it is based on falsehoods and is
> inherently conservative (and conservatism always destroys).

Liberalism destroys nature the invironment!
We see it today happening , technology, human greed goes rampant world wide.

Re: James Lovelock: Influential green thinker dies aged 103

<tc1afu$1nbu$3@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=8519&group=sci.astro.amateur#8519

From: '''newsp...@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2022 19:55:56 +0100
 by: Martin Brown - Fri, 29 Jul 2022 18:55 UTC

On 29/07/2022 14:42, Chris L Peterson wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Jul 2022 02:15:36 -0700 (PDT), StarDust <csoka01@gmail.com>
> wrote:

[snip]
>>> It is even quite plausible. Earth will kill off off or severely curtail
>>> any species that takes the planet too far out of equilibrium and that
>>> includes us. Ants, cockroaches and rats will inherit the Earth!

>> Maybe , returning to religion is the way to sustainability, balance and harmony with nature?
>> https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20220726-how-religious-worship-is-boosting-conservation-in-india
>
> Religion always destroys, because it is based on falsehoods and is
> inherently conservative (and conservatism always destroys).

I'm not convinced that is entirely correct. Conservatism with a small c
means leaving the planet roughly the same state as you found it.

Trashing the planet for fun and profit is the US way based on extremist
capitalism - eat drink and be merry because someone else will pay later.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Re: James Lovelock: Influential green thinker dies aged 103

<79536d48-c873-4f36-ae65-10f0a33936f5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=8520&group=sci.astro.amateur#8520

Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2022 15:55:04 -0700 (PDT)
From: wsnel...@hotmail.com (W)
 by: W - Fri, 29 Jul 2022 22:55 UTC

On Friday, July 29, 2022 at 2:56:02 PM UTC-4, Martin Brown wrote:

> Trashing the planet for fun and profit is the US way based on extremist
> capitalism - eat drink and be merry because someone else will pay later.

In order for your statement to carry any weight at all, you will have to give a full and honest accounting of your own carbon footprint, etc, so that it can be compared with those whom you accuse of "trashing the planet."

Otherwise, be quiet.

Re: James Lovelock: Influential green thinker dies aged 103

<XnsAEE3A3F39963Etaustingmail@85.12.62.232>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=8521&group=sci.astro.amateur#8521

Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
From: tausti...@gmail.com (Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha)
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2022 16:07:01 -0700
 by: Jibini Kula Tumbili - Fri, 29 Jul 2022 23:07 UTC

W <wsnell01@hotmail.com> wrote in

> On Friday, July 29, 2022 at 2:56:02 PM UTC-4, Martin Brown
> wrote:
>
>> Trashing the planet for fun and profit is the US way based on
>> extremist capitalism - eat drink and be merry because someone
>> else will pay later.
>
> In order for your statement to carry any weight at all, you will
> have to give a full and honest accounting of your own carbon
> footprint, etc, so that it can be compared with those whom you
> accuse of "trashing the planet."
>
> Otherwise, be quiet.

The right's philosophy is "someone will pay later." The left's
philosohpy is "someone will pay now. You will. Give me all your
money. Now. Or else."

--
Terry Austin

-- David Bilek

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.

Re: James Lovelock: Influential green thinker dies aged 103

<ot49eh9abdm6b8g2gnu2mbvst45l67fr6m@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=8522&group=sci.astro.amateur#8522

From: clp...@alumni.caltech.edu (Chris L Peterson)
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2022 20:13:48 -0600
 by: Chris L Peterson - Sat, 30 Jul 2022 02:13 UTC

On Fri, 29 Jul 2022 19:55:56 +0100, Martin Brown
<'''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk> wrote:

>On 29/07/2022 14:42, Chris L Peterson wrote:
>> On Fri, 29 Jul 2022 02:15:36 -0700 (PDT), StarDust <csoka01@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>[snip]
>

>>> Maybe , returning to religion is the way to sustainability, balance and harmony with nature?
>>> https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20220726-how-religious-worship-is-boosting-conservation-in-india
>>
>> Religion always destroys, because it is based on falsehoods and is
>> inherently conservative (and conservatism always destroys).
>
>I'm not convinced that is entirely correct. Conservatism with a small c
>means leaving the planet roughly the same state as you found it.
>
>Trashing the planet for fun and profit is the US way based on extremist
>capitalism - eat drink and be merry because someone else will pay later.

Conservatism in its modern political sense is about moving backward,
and always away from societal norms. It is always destructive.

Re: James Lovelock: Influential green thinker dies aged 103

<dv49ehl62jfj7tmo0mt44hc49h8angpo0k@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=8523&group=sci.astro.amateur#8523

From: clp...@alumni.caltech.edu (Chris L Peterson)
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2022 20:14:46 -0600
 by: Chris L Peterson - Sat, 30 Jul 2022 02:14 UTC

On Fri, 29 Jul 2022 16:07:01 -0700, Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
<taustinca@gmail.com> wrote:

>W <wsnell01@hotmail.com> wrote in
>
>> On Friday, July 29, 2022 at 2:56:02 PM UTC-4, Martin Brown
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Trashing the planet for fun and profit is the US way based on
>>> extremist capitalism - eat drink and be merry because someone
>>> else will pay later.
>>
>> In order for your statement to carry any weight at all, you will
>> have to give a full and honest accounting of your own carbon
>> footprint, etc, so that it can be compared with those whom you
>> accuse of "trashing the planet."
>>
>> Otherwise, be quiet.
>>
>The right's philosophy is "someone will pay later." The left's
>philosohpy is "someone will pay now. You will. Give me all your
>money. Now. Or else."

There's a name for that "left" philosophy: fiscal conservatism.

Re: James Lovelock: Influential green thinker dies aged 103

<055b4cd4-f0c2-4ed7-8b34-3e80487351d0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=8524&group=sci.astro.amateur#8524

Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2022 19:21:09 -0700 (PDT)
From: csok...@gmail.com (StarDust)
 by: StarDust - Sat, 30 Jul 2022 02:21 UTC

On Friday, July 29, 2022 at 7:14:49 PM UTC-7, Chris L Peterson wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Jul 2022 16:07:01 -0700, Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
> <taus...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >W <wsne...@hotmail.com> wrote in

> >> In order for your statement to carry any weight at all, you will
> >> have to give a full and honest accounting of your own carbon
> >> footprint, etc, so that it can be compared with those whom you
> >> accuse of "trashing the planet."
> >>
> >> Otherwise, be quiet.
> >>
> >The right's philosophy is "someone will pay later." The left's
> >philosohpy is "someone will pay now. You will. Give me all your
> >money. Now. Or else."
> There's a name for that "left" philosophy: fiscal conservatism.

No matter what, another 50 years we run out of black gold and the carbon footprints has only one way to go is - DOWN!
LOLOLOL!

Re: James Lovelock: Influential green thinker dies aged 103

<XnsAEE3E7A324A6Ctaustincagmailcom@85.12.62.245>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=8526&group=sci.astro.amateur#8526

Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
From: tausti...@gmail.com (Ninapenda Jibini)
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2022 05:46:18 GMT
 by: Ninapenda Jibini - Sat, 30 Jul 2022 05:46 UTC

Chris L Peterson <clp@alumni.caltech.edu> wrote in

> On Fri, 29 Jul 2022 16:07:01 -0700, Jibini Kula Tumbili
> Kujisalimisha <taustinca@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>W <wsnell01@hotmail.com> wrote in

>>> In order for your statement to carry any weight at all, you
>>> will have to give a full and honest accounting of your own
>>> carbon footprint, etc, so that it can be compared with those
>>> whom you accuse of "trashing the planet."
>>>
>>> Otherwise, be quiet.
>>>
>>The right's philosophy is "someone will pay later." The left's
>>philosohpy is "someone will pay now. You will. Give me all your
>>money. Now. Or else."
>
> There's a name for that "left" philosophy: fiscal conservatism.

That's a funny way of spelling "totalitarian kleptocracy."

--
Terry Austin

Lynn:

-- David Bilek

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.

Re: James Lovelock: Influential green thinker dies aged 103

<XnsAEE3E7C507451taustincagmailcom@85.12.62.245>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=8527&group=sci.astro.amateur#8527

Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
From: tausti...@gmail.com (Ninapenda Jibini)
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2022 05:47:04 GMT
 by: Ninapenda Jibini - Sat, 30 Jul 2022 05:47 UTC

> On Fri, 29 Jul 2022 19:55:56 +0100, Martin Brown
> <'''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>On 29/07/2022 14:42, Chris L Peterson wrote:

>>[snip]

>>> Religion always destroys, because it is based on falsehoods
>>> and is inherently conservative (and conservatism always
>>> destroys).
>>
>>I'm not convinced that is entirely correct. Conservatism with a
>>small c means leaving the planet roughly the same state as you
>>found it.
>>
>>Trashing the planet for fun and profit is the US way based on
>>extremist capitalism - eat drink and be merry because someone
>>else will pay later.
>
> Conservatism in its modern political sense is about moving
> backward, and always away from societal norms. It is always
> destructive.

That would be the conservatism *you* claim is leftist. Always
destructive.

--
Terry Austin

Lynn:

-- David Bilek

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.

Re: James Lovelock: Influential green thinker dies aged 103

<b9c20fbc-d406-4919-842c-9c1c9c3287c8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=8528&group=sci.astro.amateur#8528

Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2022 01:45:09 -0700 (PDT)
From: csok...@gmail.com (StarDust)
 by: StarDust - Sat, 30 Jul 2022 08:45 UTC

On Saturday, July 30, 2022 at 1:05:11 AM UTC-7, RichA wrote:
> On Thursday, 28 July 2022 at 01:17:10 UTC-4, StarDust wrote:
> > https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-62322575
> >
> > British scientist James Lovelock, who devoted his life to the global green movement, has died on his 103rd birthday, his family has said.
> >
> > His 1960s Gaia theory Earth, from rocks to air, was one huge interconnected and self-regulating system formed the basis of much of climate science.
> > And he had warned climate change could be a tipping point for the planet.
> >
> > Back in the 90s, I read his book about the Gaia theory and I was bought!
> > Quite fascinating!
> Too bad his core belief was wrong. There is no "tipping point." There is only change and it's always happening.
> The cranks promote the idea that going up in temp a bit would lead to an irreversible or "runaway" condition. B.S.
> The past has seen MUCH higher temps and they always shifted down and then up. What enrages these agenda-driven
> enviro-socialists is that natural effects ultimate determine which way things go, not man.

How many vehicles are there in the world 2022?
By the end of the first quarter of 2022, there were approximately 1.45 billion vehicles in the world, of which about 1.1 billion are passenger cars.

All emit CO2!
Any question?

Re: James Lovelock: Influential green thinker dies aged 103

<dabaehljutgpkfjm5tbcpnrs4aot4urmch@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=8529&group=sci.astro.amateur#8529

From: clp...@alumni.caltech.edu (Chris L Peterson)
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2022 07:09:08 -0600
 by: Chris L Peterson - Sat, 30 Jul 2022 13:09 UTC

On Sat, 30 Jul 2022 01:05:09 -0700 (PDT), RichA <rander3128@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Thursday, 28 July 2022 at 01:17:10 UTC-4, StarDust wrote:
>> https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-62322575
>>
>> British scientist James Lovelock, who devoted his life to the global green movement, has died on his 103rd birthday, his family has said.
>>
>> His 1960s Gaia theory Earth, from rocks to air, was one huge interconnected and self-regulating system formed the basis of much of climate science.
>> And he had warned climate change could be a tipping point for the planet.
>>
>> Back in the 90s, I read his book about the Gaia theory and I was bought!
>> Quite fascinating!
>
>Too bad his core belief was wrong. There is no "tipping point." There is only change and it's always happening.
>The cranks promote the idea that going up in temp a bit would lead to an irreversible or "runaway" condition. B.S.
>The past has seen MUCH higher temps and they always shifted down and then up. What enrages these agenda-driven
>enviro-socialists is that natural effects ultimate determine which way things go, not man.

There have been many climatic and environmental tipping points in the
past, well preserved in the geologic record.

tech / sci.astro.amateur / Re: James Lovelock: Influential green thinker dies aged 103