"What I've done, of course, is total garbage." -- R. Willard, Pure Math 430a

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Re: Update on Lemond Zurich with pics

SubjectAuthor
* Update on Lemond Zurich with picsMark Cleary
+- Re: Update on Lemond Zurich with picsTom Kunich
`* Re: Update on Lemond Zurich with picsAMuzi
 `* Re: Update on Lemond Zurich with picsMark Cleary
  +- Re: Update on Lemond Zurich with picsTom Kunich
  `* Re: Update on Lemond Zurich with picsAMuzi
   `* Re: Update on Lemond Zurich with picsTom Kunich
    `* Re: Update on Lemond Zurich with picsMark Cleary
     `* Re: Update on Lemond Zurich with picsMark Cleary
      +- Re: Update on Lemond Zurich with picsfunkma...@hotmail.com
      `- Re: Update on Lemond Zurich with picsFrank Krygowski

1
Update on Lemond Zurich with pics

<3d947027-a92c-4392-ad09-54fc14da5769n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=85272&group=rec.bicycles.tech#85272

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2023 14:46:30 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Update on Lemond Zurich with pics
From: deaconmj...@gmail.com (Mark Cleary)
 by: Mark Cleary - Thu, 29 Jun 2023 21:46 UTC

Went over the bike and the wheels are perfect. The spin great true and even I put them on the truing stand and did nothing.

Here is a picture with all but bar tape. https://imgur.com/a/mp5ff77

My question is if this is a 2001? It has a 9 spd Shimano Ultegra and this is the catch. The front shifts perfect and both of the brakes are great. However, the right rear shifter was acting up so I did the flush with WD-40 and manage to get it working. The chain is fine not stretched and in good shape. Rear cassette is fine no issues that I can see at all. I put all new jagwire cable and housing the stuff I use on my own SHimano 6800 stuff. The rear shifting will go through all 9 gears and such but of course the big-big gear is slight noisy. I am used to my stuff and I can use all 11 gears without any problems. It manages up and down the cogs but does not always shift perfect. I will sometimes miss a click or not quite make it going upshifting. I know it is not a cable or housing issue the brifter is just no crisp anymore. Should I expect this old of a brifter to shift perfect of even for that matter old 9 spd Shimano to shift with not misses?

If this was my bike I would upgrade it to 10 speed but maybe that is not worth it. In fact you can get R7000 pretty cheap. I want the fellow to enjoy the bike so maybe I should just fine a used right or set of 9 spd Shimano. That said I don't know if it would necessarily shifter better. I am going to give a test ride and personally it may not bother many riders but I am serious cycling putting in lots of miles and I would want perfect shifting with no misses. Here is a picture of the bike. Also I woudd assume this is a thread BB so going to external BB to me would be a huge plus and new cranks..
[...]

Deacon Mark

Re: Update on Lemond Zurich with pics

<67fb7857-dbe6-4796-804c-a9921b7e6fcfn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=85278&group=rec.bicycles.tech#85278

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2023 15:17:17 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Update on Lemond Zurich with pics
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Thu, 29 Jun 2023 22:17 UTC

On Thursday, June 29, 2023 at 2:46:33 PM UTC-7, Mark Cleary wrote:
> [...]
>
> If this was my bike I would upgrade it to 10 speed but maybe that is not worth it. In fact you can get R7000 pretty cheap. I want the fellow to enjoy the bike so maybe I should just fine a used right or set of 9 spd Shimano.. That said I don't know if it would necessarily shifter better. I am going to give a test ride and personally it may not bother many riders but I am serious cycling putting in lots of miles and I would want perfect shifting with no misses. Here is a picture of the bike. Also I woudd assume this is a thread BB so going to external BB to me would be a huge plus and new cranks.
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bop/d/oakland-shimano-ultegra-6500-triple/7631059363.html

Re: Update on Lemond Zurich with pics

<u7l032$299gq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=85279&group=rec.bicycles.tech#85279

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2023 17:20:17 -0500
 by: AMuzi - Thu, 29 Jun 2023 22:20 UTC

On 6/29/2023 4:46 PM, Mark Cleary wrote:
> [...]
>
> If this was my bike I would upgrade it to 10 speed but maybe that is not worth it. In fact you can get R7000 pretty cheap. I want the fellow to enjoy the bike so maybe I should just fine a used right or set of 9 spd Shimano. That said I don't know if it would necessarily shifter better. I am going to give a test ride and personally it may not bother many riders but I am serious cycling putting in lots of miles and I would want perfect shifting with no misses. Here is a picture of the bike. Also I woudd assume this is a thread BB so going to external BB to me would be a huge plus and new cranks.

Check your gear tab and ensure it's vertical. Observe R
changer for bends in cage. Check 'B' screw setting.

If no problems found, try clean/lube upper pulley (or both
once you're there)

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Re: Update on Lemond Zurich with pics

<52858927-4a48-4ae7-8e40-27cd05bd94a2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=85281&group=rec.bicycles.tech#85281

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2023 15:38:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: deaconmj...@gmail.com (Mark Cleary)
 by: Mark Cleary - Thu, 29 Jun 2023 22:38 UTC

On Thursday, June 29, 2023 at 5:20:22 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > If this was my bike I would upgrade it to 10 speed but maybe that is not worth it. In fact you can get R7000 pretty cheap. I want the fellow to enjoy the bike so maybe I should just fine a used right or set of 9 spd Shimano. That said I don't know if it would necessarily shifter better. I am going to give a test ride and personally it may not bother many riders but I am serious cycling putting in lots of miles and I would want perfect shifting with no misses. Here is a picture of the bike. Also I woudd assume this is a thread BB so going to external BB to me would be a huge plus and new cranks.
> > Deacon Mark
> >
> Check your gear tab and ensure it's vertical. Observe R
> changer for bends in cage. Check 'B' screw setting.
>
> If no problems found, try clean/lube upper pulley (or both

I did bring the B screw setting out more. What are gear tabs?
Deacon Mark

Re: Update on Lemond Zurich with pics

<7f89044d-cf46-4012-a5b9-e3ba402c2744n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=85284&group=rec.bicycles.tech#85284

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2023 16:17:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Thu, 29 Jun 2023 23:17 UTC

On Thursday, June 29, 2023 at 3:38:41 PM UTC-7, Mark Cleary wrote:
> [...]
> > > Deacon Mark
> > >
> > Check your gear tab and ensure it's vertical. Observe R
> > changer for bends in cage. Check 'B' screw setting.
> >
> > If no problems found, try clean/lube upper pulley (or both
> > once you're there)
> >
> > --
> > Andrew Muzi
> > <www.yellowjersey.org/>
> > Open every day since 1 April, 1971
> I did bring the B screw setting out more. What are gear tabs?

I had a Lemond as well. I installed an 11 speed external Di2 on it.

https://imgur.com/a/QbySyqM

Scroll down though pictures

Re: Update on Lemond Zurich with pics

<u7lcid$2e1q8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=85288&group=rec.bicycles.tech#85288

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2023 20:53:17 -0500
 by: AMuzi - Fri, 30 Jun 2023 01:53 UTC

On 6/29/2023 5:38 PM, Mark Cleary wrote:
> [...]
>>> Deacon Mark
>>>
>> Check your gear tab and ensure it's vertical. Observe R
>> changer for bends in cage. Check 'B' screw setting.
>>
>> If no problems found, try clean/lube upper pulley (or both
>> once you're there)
>>

> I did bring the B screw setting out more. What are gear tabs?

Tighten B screw only until there's no interference between
upper roller and low gear when in lowest combination.
Excessively tight B screw gives sloppy shifting in the
16-17-18-19-ish range.

Gear tab is under the frame end where the rear changer
screws in.

Visually, shift to high gear. Get your head behind the rear
changer. Cage ought to be parallel to the chainrings.

That's a rough visual check but the correct Campagnolo R
tool will show alignment to greater precision.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Re: Update on Lemond Zurich with pics

<9cb71564-3e23-4978-bf93-1b7235b03116n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=85316&group=rec.bicycles.tech#85316

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2023 10:41:04 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Fri, 30 Jun 2023 17:41 UTC

On Thursday, June 29, 2023 at 6:53:27 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
> On 6/29/2023 5:38 PM, Mark Cleary wrote:

> >> Check your gear tab and ensure it's vertical. Observe R
> >> changer for bends in cage. Check 'B' screw setting.
> >>
> >> If no problems found, try clean/lube upper pulley (or both
> >> once you're there)
> >>
> > I did bring the B screw setting out more. What are gear tabs?
> > Deacon Mark
> >
> Tighten B screw only until there's no interference between
> upper roller and low gear when in lowest combination.
> Excessively tight B screw gives sloppy shifting in the
> 16-17-18-19-ish range.
>
> Gear tab is under the frame end where the rear changer
> screws in.
>
> Visually, shift to high gear. Get your head behind the rear
> changer. Cage ought to be parallel to the chainrings.
>
> That's a rough visual check but the correct Campagnolo R
> tool will show alignment to greater precision.
> --
> Andrew Muzi
> <www.yellowjersey.org/>
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Also far too commonly the chain is of the improper length.

Re: Update on Lemond Zurich with pics

<b041bbc7-0e9c-429d-a584-d195f53999cen@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=85318&group=rec.bicycles.tech#85318

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2023 10:55:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: deaconmj...@gmail.com (Mark Cleary)
 by: Mark Cleary - Fri, 30 Jun 2023 17:55 UTC

On Friday, June 30, 2023 at 12:41:07 PM UTC-5, Tom Kunich wrote:
> On Thursday, June 29, 2023 at 6:53:27 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:

> > > I did bring the B screw setting out more. What are gear tabs?
> > > Deacon Mark
> > >
> > Tighten B screw only until there's no interference between
> > upper roller and low gear when in lowest combination.
> > Excessively tight B screw gives sloppy shifting in the
> > 16-17-18-19-ish range.
> >
> > Gear tab is under the frame end where the rear changer
> > screws in.
> >
> > Visually, shift to high gear. Get your head behind the rear
> > changer. Cage ought to be parallel to the chainrings.
> >
> > That's a rough visual check but the correct Campagnolo R
> > tool will show alignment to greater precision.
> > --
> > Andrew Muzi
> > <www.yellowjersey.org/>
> > Open every day since 1 April, 1971
> Also far too commonly the chain is of the improper length.

Ok the bike is done. On the trainer it is fine shifts good through the range of gears. I did some tweaking of the cable and all is well. I will actually get it out and take a reasonably longer test ride. The chain length is fine just right. Actually all it required was 4 new cables for brakes and shifting. The housing was new that I cut off my bulk stuff. Frankly the most expensive part was the Richey Bar tape at $24 a pop. Wow bar tape is quite expensive for a little band of material but it last me a long time. What is best source for bar tape got to replenish this and get a bulk run of Jagwire L3 shifter housing. I like that prety good although the sp 41 from Shimano is fine too. Getting it in bulk is hard. I just need 25 ft of it.

What is charge these days to recable the entire bike, change bar tape, brake pads, and adjust everything. I don't know but I think $75 is fair. That would not include the parts.
Deacon Mark

Re: Update on Lemond Zurich with pics

<6b85b720-a1da-4e96-b97b-477bc8db805an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=85321&group=rec.bicycles.tech#85321

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2023 12:38:42 -0700 (PDT)
From: deaconmj...@gmail.com (Mark Cleary)
 by: Mark Cleary - Fri, 30 Jun 2023 19:38 UTC

On Friday, June 30, 2023 at 12:55:59 PM UTC-5, Mark Cleary wrote:
> On Friday, June 30, 2023 at 12:41:07 PM UTC-5, Tom Kunich wrote:

> > > Tighten B screw only until there's no interference between
> > > upper roller and low gear when in lowest combination.
> > > Excessively tight B screw gives sloppy shifting in the
> > > 16-17-18-19-ish range.
> > >
> > > Gear tab is under the frame end where the rear changer
> > > screws in.
> > >
> > > Visually, shift to high gear. Get your head behind the rear
> > > changer. Cage ought to be parallel to the chainrings.
> > >
> > > That's a rough visual check but the correct Campagnolo R
> > > tool will show alignment to greater precision.
> > > --
> > > Andrew Muzi
> > > <www.yellowjersey.org/>
> > > Open every day since 1 April, 1971
> > Also far too commonly the chain is of the improper length.
> Ok the bike is done. On the trainer it is fine shifts good through the range of gears. I did some tweaking of the cable and all is well. I will actually get it out and take a reasonably longer test ride. The chain length is fine just right. Actually all it required was 4 new cables for brakes and shifting. The housing was new that I cut off my bulk stuff. Frankly the most expensive part was the Richey Bar tape at $24 a pop. Wow bar tape is quite expensive for a little band of material but it last me a long time. What is best source for bar tape got to replenish this and get a bulk run of Jagwire L3 shifter housing. I like that prety good although the sp 41 from Shimano is fine too. Getting it in bulk is hard. I just need 25 ft of it.
>
> What is charge these days to recable the entire bike, change bar tape, brake pads, and adjust everything. I don't know but I think $75 is fair. That would not include the parts.
> Deacon Mark
I just got back from 6 mile ride. It shifted fine and in fact better than on the stand and I see it require a full throw of the small paddle to click it upshifting. I pretty happy with it that did not need anything else really. The brakes are quite powerful too I might add they grip right away. It has been awhile since I hve ridden on a standard double so that was a bit different. I don't use the small ring much on my 11 spd here in the flatlands but a 9 spd standard double, and 25 max cassette, I have to go to the small ring. I use to ride standard doubles but old age has me wondering how I did that and with a 25 rear at that.
Deacon Mark

Re: Update on Lemond Zurich with pics

<dbac865a-5d60-4b68-b6e2-e6f0389890e6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=85323&group=rec.bicycles.tech#85323

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2023 13:27:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: funkmast...@hotmail.com (funkma...@hotmail.com)
 by: funkma...@hotmail.co - Fri, 30 Jun 2023 20:27 UTC

On Friday, June 30, 2023 at 3:38:45 PM UTC-4, Mark Cleary wrote:
> On Friday, June 30, 2023 at 12:55:59 PM UTC-5, Mark Cleary wrote:

> > > Also far too commonly the chain is of the improper length.
> > Ok the bike is done. On the trainer it is fine shifts good through the range of gears. I did some tweaking of the cable and all is well. I will actually get it out and take a reasonably longer test ride. The chain length is fine just right. Actually all it required was 4 new cables for brakes and shifting. The housing was new that I cut off my bulk stuff. Frankly the most expensive part was the Richey Bar tape at $24 a pop. Wow bar tape is quite expensive for a little band of material but it last me a long time. What is best source for bar tape got to replenish this and get a bulk run of Jagwire L3 shifter housing. I like that prety good although the sp 41 from Shimano is fine too. Getting it in bulk is hard. I just need 25 ft of it.
> >
> > What is charge these days to recable the entire bike, change bar tape, brake pads, and adjust everything. I don't know but I think $75 is fair. That would not include the parts.
> > Deacon Mark
> I just got back from 6 mile ride. It shifted fine and in fact better than on the stand and I see it require a full throw of the small paddle to click it upshifting. I pretty happy with it that did not need anything else really. The brakes are quite powerful too I might add they grip right away. It has been awhile since I hve ridden on a standard double so that was a bit different. I don't use the small ring much on my 11 spd here in the flatlands but a 9 spd standard double, and 25 max cassette, I have to go to the small ring. I use to ride standard doubles but old age has me wondering how I did that and with a 25 rear at that.
> Deacon Mark

<Applause>

Re: Update on Lemond Zurich with pics

<u7nn5g$2lpks$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=85331&group=rec.bicycles.tech#85331

From: frkry...@sbcglobal.net (Frank Krygowski)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2023 19:06:24 -0400
 by: Frank Krygowski - Fri, 30 Jun 2023 23:06 UTC

On 6/30/2023 3:38 PM, Mark Cleary wrote:

> I just got back from 6 mile ride. It shifted fine and in fact better than on the stand and I see it require a full throw of the small paddle to click it upshifting. I pretty happy with it that did not need anything else really.

One of the things I love about cycling is that good quality bikes are
very long-lived and rebuildable. It's the opposite of our typical
throw-away society ethic.

--
- Frank Krygowski