"Seed me, Seymour" -- a random number generator meets the big green mother from outer space

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Re: Group riding complications

SubjectAuthor
* Group riding complicationsFrank Krygowski
+* Re: Group riding complicationsLou Holtman
|`- Re: Group riding complicationsCatrike Rider
+* Re: Group riding complicationsTed Heise
|`- Re: Group riding complicationsRolf Mantel
+* Re: Group riding complicationsRoger Meriman
|`* Re: Group riding complicationsTom Kunich
| `* Re: Group riding complicationsCatrike Rider
|  `* Re: Group riding complicationsRoger Meriman
|   +- Re: Group riding complicationsCatrike Rider
|   `* Re: Group riding complicationsFrank Krygowski
|    `* Re: Group riding complicationsRoger Meriman
|     `* Re: Group riding complicationsTom Kunich
|      `* Re: Group riding complicationsCatrike Rider
|       +* Re: Group riding complicationsAMuzi
|       |+- Re: Group riding complicationsRoger Meriman
|       |+* Re: Group riding complicationsFrank Krygowski
|       ||+* Re: Group riding complicationsCatrike Rider
|       |||`* Re: Group riding complicationsAMuzi
|       ||| `- Re: Group riding complicationsCatrike Rider
|       ||`* Re: Group riding complicationsRadey Shouman
|       || `- Re: Group riding complicationsCatrike Rider
|       |`* Re: Group riding complicationsCatrike Rider
|       | `* Re: Group riding complicationsRoger Meriman
|       |  `* Re: Group riding complicationsCatrike Rider
|       |   `* Re: Group riding complicationsRoger Meriman
|       |    +* Re: Group riding complicationsTom Kunich
|       |    |+* Re: Group riding complicationsRoger Meriman
|       |    ||`* Re: Group riding complicationsTom Kunich
|       |    || `* Re: Group riding complicationsRoger Meriman
|       |    ||  `* Re: Group riding complicationsJohn B.
|       |    ||   `- Re: Group riding complicationsRoger Meriman
|       |    |`- Re: Group riding complicationsCatrike Rider
|       |    `* Re: Group riding complicationsfunkma...@hotmail.com
|       |     `* Re: Group riding complicationsRoger Meriman
|       |      +* Re: Group riding complicationsfunkma...@hotmail.com
|       |      |+- Re: Group riding complicationsRoger Meriman
|       |      |`- Re: Group riding complicationsJohn B.
|       |      `- Re: Group riding complicationsTom Kunich
|       `* Re: Group riding complicationsJohn B.
|        `* Re: Group riding complicationsCatrike Rider
|         `- Re: Group riding complicationsJohn B.
`- Re: Group riding complicationsfunkma...@hotmail.com

Pages:12
Re: Group riding complications

<iMwnM.5106$mq28.1519@fx08.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=85294&group=rec.bicycles.tech#85294

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Group riding complications
From: rog...@sarlet.com (Roger Meriman)
<ojqr9i99ohvmfktq4plij83kber46eoa5o@4ax.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2023 08:55:42 GMT
 by: Roger Meriman - Fri, 30 Jun 2023 08:55 UTC

Catrike Rider <soloman@drafting.not> wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Jun 2023 13:20:48 -0500, AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:
>
>> On 6/29/2023 10:03 AM, Catrike Rider wrote:

>>> I've never been interested in off-road bicycling for the simple reason
>>> that when in an off-road deep-woods environment, I want to be able to
>>> soak it up and see the wild-life rather than be striving to keep
>>> wheels under me. I'd rather be on horseback, or even better, on foot.
>>>

>> Then again Mr Merriman probably doesn't ride near alligators.
>
> Probably true, but I've seen many other critters while on walks/hikes
> in various deep-woods locations. Some not particularly dangerous and
> other that were. I once looked up from a footpath in Colorado and
> stared into the eyes of a moose that indicated she was not at all
> happy with me.

I see Red Deer regularly as they are semi wild in the royal parks, ie old
hunting grounds.

Which are big deer though not quite as large as Moose but again the Bucks
are fine it’s getting between does and babies that will get one into
trouble or more normally dogs.

Are red deer fully wild but they tend to be the Scottish highlands and
likely to be at a considerable distance.

I had forgotten about pigs or rather wild boars which exist and are
spreading at the edge of wales Boarderlands in the Forrest of dean again
though mosty folks don’t see them, it’s a popular MTB/walking etc area.

Roger Merrriman

Re: Group riding complications

<3b8t9i1uraoffh39tv7cf5ro7ghbfrl1m5@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=85295&group=rec.bicycles.tech#85295

From: solo...@drafting.not (Catrike Rider)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2023 05:47:28 -0400
References: <cYHmM.655643$6W22.214753@fx05.ams4> <393c94c4-d028-4f30-8c39-bfc1610694d1n@googlegroups.com> <ppmm9i9hrghnr67bctouedok3ng9m2q0id@4ax.com> <UFTmM.167483$AHo7.35210@fx07.ams4> <u7hhcu$1pum5$1@dont-email.me> <Bl3nM.351439$cPO1.257844@fx10.ams4> <732aae47-7b42-44e6-ab26-e32dabf5ffbbn@googlegroups.com> <0t6r9ilqtd0lf6h0pt3ecei8pk0kke5ml0@4ax.com> <u7ki24$27nch$2@dont-email.me> <ojqr9i99ohvmfktq4plij83kber46eoa5o@4ax.com> <iMwnM.5106$mq28.1519@fx08.ams4>
 by: Catrike Rider - Fri, 30 Jun 2023 09:47 UTC

On Fri, 30 Jun 2023 08:55:42 GMT, Roger Meriman <roger@sarlet.com>
wrote:

>Catrike Rider <soloman@drafting.not> wrote:

>>> Then again Mr Merriman probably doesn't ride near alligators.
>>
>> Probably true, but I've seen many other critters while on walks/hikes
>> in various deep-woods locations. Some not particularly dangerous and
>> other that were. I once looked up from a footpath in Colorado and
>> stared into the eyes of a moose that indicated she was not at all
>> happy with me.
>>
>I see Red Deer regularly as they are semi wild in the royal parks, ie old
>hunting grounds.
>
>Which are big deer though not quite as large as Moose but again the Bucks
>are fine it’s getting between does and babies that will get one into
>trouble or more normally dogs.
>
>Are red deer fully wild but they tend to be the Scottish highlands and
>likely to be at a considerable distance.
>
>I had forgotten about pigs or rather wild boars which exist and are
>spreading at the edge of wales Boarderlands in the Forrest of dean again
>though mosty folks don’t see them, it’s a popular MTB/walking etc area.
>
>Roger Merrriman

I cannot explain, why I am, like many other people, fascinated with
animals and birds. It's one of the things I look forward to when I am
outdoors, and one of the reasons why I dislike urban locations.

Re: Group riding complications

<r2CnM.517$MLF.317@fx13.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=85300&group=rec.bicycles.tech#85300

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
From: rog...@sarlet.com (Roger Meriman)
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2023 14:56:23 GMT
 by: Roger Meriman - Fri, 30 Jun 2023 14:56 UTC

Catrike Rider <soloman@drafting.not> wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Jun 2023 08:55:42 GMT, Roger Meriman <roger@sarlet.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Catrike Rider <soloman@drafting.not> wrote:

>>> Probably true, but I've seen many other critters while on walks/hikes
>>> in various deep-woods locations. Some not particularly dangerous and
>>> other that were. I once looked up from a footpath in Colorado and
>>> stared into the eyes of a moose that indicated she was not at all
>>> happy with me.
>>>
>> I see Red Deer regularly as they are semi wild in the royal parks, ie old
>> hunting grounds.
>>
>> Which are big deer though not quite as large as Moose but again the Bucks
>> are fine it’s getting between does and babies that will get one into
>> trouble or more normally dogs.
>>
>> Are red deer fully wild but they tend to be the Scottish highlands and
>> likely to be at a considerable distance.
>>
>> I had forgotten about pigs or rather wild boars which exist and are
>> spreading at the edge of wales Boarderlands in the Forrest of dean again
>> though mosty folks don’t see them, it’s a popular MTB/walking etc area.
>>
>> Roger Merrriman
>
> I cannot explain, why I am, like many other people, fascinated with
> animals and birds. It's one of the things I look forward to when I am
> outdoors, and one of the reasons why I dislike urban locations.

Similar have birtdtable even and don’t mind the pigeons and squirrels, I
see deer in all sorts of places, from the Royal Parks which is I guess
suburban, and they are used to people and relaxed to a point.

To deer in the greener forgotten places around london or out in the woods
around Surrey which is a briefer encounter!

Get red kites (big bird of prey not quite eagle sized) often over work,
though as ever more spectacular back in Wales in the hills even at a
greater distance than gliding overhead in a urban setting, they like big
roads ie road kill!

Roger Merriman

Re: Group riding complications

<481e6a44-6609-47b2-83e7-9898b9130ebfn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=85302&group=rec.bicycles.tech#85302

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2023 08:13:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Fri, 30 Jun 2023 15:13 UTC

On Friday, June 30, 2023 at 7:56:26 AM UTC-7, Roger Meriman wrote:
> Catrike Rider <sol...@drafting.not> wrote:
> > On Fri, 30 Jun 2023 08:55:42 GMT, Roger Meriman <ro...@sarlet.com>
> > wrote:

> >> I see Red Deer regularly as they are semi wild in the royal parks, ie old
> >> hunting grounds.
> >>
> >> Which are big deer though not quite as large as Moose but again the Bucks
> >> are fine it’s getting between does and babies that will get one into
> >> trouble or more normally dogs.
> >>
> >> Are red deer fully wild but they tend to be the Scottish highlands and
> >> likely to be at a considerable distance.
> >>
> >> I had forgotten about pigs or rather wild boars which exist and are
> >> spreading at the edge of wales Boarderlands in the Forrest of dean again
> >> though mosty folks don’t see them, it’s a popular MTB/walking etc area.
> >>
> >> Roger Merrriman
> >
> > I cannot explain, why I am, like many other people, fascinated with
> > animals and birds. It's one of the things I look forward to when I am
> > outdoors, and one of the reasons why I dislike urban locations.
> >
> Similar have birtdtable even and don’t mind the pigeons and squirrels, I
> see deer in all sorts of places, from the Royal Parks which is I guess
> suburban, and they are used to people and relaxed to a point.
>
> To deer in the greener forgotten places around london or out in the woods
> around Surrey which is a briefer encounter!
>
> Get red kites (big bird of prey not quite eagle sized) often over work,
> though as ever more spectacular back in Wales in the hills even at a
> greater distance than gliding overhead in a urban setting, they like big
> roads ie road kill!
>
> Roger Merriman
Tuesday as I was riding up the closed section of Redwood Rd. There was quite a few female white tail deer on the road that showed no fear whatsoever of the bicycle. I'm not sure that is a good thing since sooner or later they are going to have to repair that road and then the local asses will use it as a race track and those animals will be at risk. The only good thing is that it may cause these drivers to lose control and kill themselves making nightly news demanding that all of the deer be killed as a menace to society.

Re: Group riding complications

<d51eca31-c6fc-4d39-90b1-95fa0fb08bfcn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=85304&group=rec.bicycles.tech#85304

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2023 09:18:08 -0700 (PDT)
From: funkmast...@hotmail.com (funkma...@hotmail.com)
 by: funkma...@hotmail.co - Fri, 30 Jun 2023 16:18 UTC

On Friday, June 30, 2023 at 10:56:26 AM UTC-4, Roger Meriman wrote:
> Catrike Rider <sol...@drafting.not> wrote:
> > On Fri, 30 Jun 2023 08:55:42 GMT, Roger Meriman <ro...@sarlet.com>
> > wrote:

> >> I see Red Deer regularly as they are semi wild in the royal parks, ie old
> >> hunting grounds.
> >>
> >> Which are big deer though not quite as large as Moose but again the Bucks
> >> are fine it’s getting between does and babies that will get one into
> >> trouble or more normally dogs.
> >>
> >> Are red deer fully wild but they tend to be the Scottish highlands and
> >> likely to be at a considerable distance.
> >>
> >> I had forgotten about pigs or rather wild boars which exist and are
> >> spreading at the edge of wales Boarderlands in the Forrest of dean again
> >> though mosty folks don’t see them, it’s a popular MTB/walking etc area.
> >>
> >> Roger Merrriman
> >
> > I cannot explain, why I am, like many other people, fascinated with
> > animals and birds. It's one of the things I look forward to when I am
> > outdoors, and one of the reasons why I dislike urban locations.
> >
> Similar have birtdtable even and don’t mind the pigeons and squirrels, I
> see deer in all sorts of places, from the Royal Parks which is I guess
> suburban, and they are used to people and relaxed to a point.
>
> To deer in the greener forgotten places around london or out in the woods
> around Surrey which is a briefer encounter!
>
> Get red kites (big bird of prey not quite eagle sized) often over work,
> though as ever more spectacular back in Wales in the hills even at a
> greater distance than gliding overhead in a urban setting, they like big
> roads ie road kill!
>
> Roger Merriman

"birtdtable"?

Re: Group riding complications

<wEDnM.7270$HRob.6392@fx06.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=85306&group=rec.bicycles.tech#85306

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
From: rog...@sarlet.com (Roger Meriman)
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2023 16:45:16 GMT
 by: Roger Meriman - Fri, 30 Jun 2023 16:45 UTC

funkma...@hotmail.com <funkmasterxx@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Friday, June 30, 2023 at 10:56:26 AM UTC-4, Roger Meriman wrote:
>> Catrike Rider <sol...@drafting.not> wrote:

>>> I cannot explain, why I am, like many other people, fascinated with
>>> animals and birds. It's one of the things I look forward to when I am
>>> outdoors, and one of the reasons why I dislike urban locations.
>>>
>> Similar have birtdtable even and don’t mind the pigeons and squirrels, I
>> see deer in all sorts of places, from the Royal Parks which is I guess
>> suburban, and they are used to people and relaxed to a point.
>>
>> To deer in the greener forgotten places around london or out in the woods
>> around Surrey which is a briefer encounter!
>>
>> Get red kites (big bird of prey not quite eagle sized) often over work,
>> though as ever more spectacular back in Wales in the hills even at a
>> greater distance than gliding overhead in a urban setting, they like big
>> roads ie road kill!
>>
>> Roger Merriman
>
> "birtdtable"?

Bird table I’d clearly not typed slow enough!

Roger Merriman

Re: Group riding complications

<wEDnM.7271$HRob.703@fx06.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=85307&group=rec.bicycles.tech#85307

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
From: rog...@sarlet.com (Roger Meriman)
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2023 16:45:16 GMT
 by: Roger Meriman - Fri, 30 Jun 2023 16:45 UTC

Tom Kunich <cyclintom@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Friday, June 30, 2023 at 7:56:26 AM UTC-7, Roger Meriman wrote:
>> Catrike Rider <sol...@drafting.not> wrote:

>>> I cannot explain, why I am, like many other people, fascinated with
>>> animals and birds. It's one of the things I look forward to when I am
>>> outdoors, and one of the reasons why I dislike urban locations.
>>>
>> Similar have birtdtable even and don’t mind the pigeons and squirrels, I
>> see deer in all sorts of places, from the Royal Parks which is I guess
>> suburban, and they are used to people and relaxed to a point.
>>
>> To deer in the greener forgotten places around london or out in the woods
>> around Surrey which is a briefer encounter!
>>
>> Get red kites (big bird of prey not quite eagle sized) often over work,
>> though as ever more spectacular back in Wales in the hills even at a
>> greater distance than gliding overhead in a urban setting, they like big
>> roads ie road kill!
>>
>> Roger Merriman
> Tuesday as I was riding up the closed section of Redwood Rd. There was
> quite a few female white tail deer on the road that showed no fear
> whatsoever of the bicycle. I'm not sure that is a good thing since sooner
> or later they are going to have to repair that road and then the local
> asses will use it as a race track and those animals will be at risk. The
> only good thing is that it may cause these drivers to lose control and
> kill themselves making nightly news demanding that all of the deer be
> killed as a menace to society.

Depends I guess on the road, most of the roads I see deer or even sheep who
are definitely not bothered by cars nor wild for that matter. Are narrow
roads, and sort of places that can have all sorts of things in the road
from fallen branches/stones to wildlife and livestock.

Though these are likely to be stationary or close enough, more careful is
other vehicles ie closing speed. Hence a degree of caution particularly in
daylight where visibility is less is wise!

Roger Merriman

Re: Group riding complications

<09bd4fa3-056c-4208-b68e-b594b5520f62n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=85310&group=rec.bicycles.tech#85310

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2023 10:03:29 -0700 (PDT)
From: funkmast...@hotmail.com (funkma...@hotmail.com)
 by: funkma...@hotmail.co - Fri, 30 Jun 2023 17:03 UTC

On Friday, June 30, 2023 at 12:45:20 PM UTC-4, Roger Meriman wrote:
> funkma...@hotmail.com <funkma...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> >> Similar have birtdtable even and don’t mind the pigeons and squirrels, I
> >> see deer in all sorts of places, from the Royal Parks which is I guess
> >> suburban, and they are used to people and relaxed to a point.
> >>
> >> To deer in the greener forgotten places around london or out in the woods
> >> around Surrey which is a briefer encounter!
> >>
> >> Get red kites (big bird of prey not quite eagle sized) often over work,
> >> though as ever more spectacular back in Wales in the hills even at a
> >> greater distance than gliding overhead in a urban setting, they like big
> >> roads ie road kill!
> >>
> >> Roger Merriman
> >
> > "birtdtable"?
> >
> Bird table I’d clearly not typed slow enough!

I'm still not sure what that is. I googled it and got pictures of bird feeding tables. Is that what you're referring to?

Re: Group riding complications

<y_DnM.16264$H5ge.13239@fx11.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=85311&group=rec.bicycles.tech#85311

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
From: rog...@sarlet.com (Roger Meriman)
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2023 17:08:46 GMT
 by: Roger Meriman - Fri, 30 Jun 2023 17:08 UTC

funkma...@hotmail.com <funkmasterxx@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Friday, June 30, 2023 at 12:45:20 PM UTC-4, Roger Meriman wrote:
>> funkma...@hotmail.com <funkma...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>>> "birtdtable"?
>>>
>> Bird table I’d clearly not typed slow enough!
>>

> I'm still not sure what that is. I googled it and got pictures of bird
> feeding tables. Is that what you're referring to?

Indeed also get hedgehogs foxes and few other animals in the garden as pond
so water/food

Plus as it’s older properties the fences are porous.

Roger Merriman

Re: Group riding complications

<cdda03cc-57f0-4d87-8806-72c9a4222002n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=85312&group=rec.bicycles.tech#85312

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2023 10:15:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Fri, 30 Jun 2023 17:15 UTC

On Friday, June 30, 2023 at 9:45:20 AM UTC-7, Roger Meriman wrote:
> Tom Kunich <cycl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Similar have birtdtable even and don’t mind the pigeons and squirrels, I
> >> see deer in all sorts of places, from the Royal Parks which is I guess
> >> suburban, and they are used to people and relaxed to a point.
> >>
> >> To deer in the greener forgotten places around london or out in the woods
> >> around Surrey which is a briefer encounter!
> >>
> >> Get red kites (big bird of prey not quite eagle sized) often over work,
> >> though as ever more spectacular back in Wales in the hills even at a
> >> greater distance than gliding overhead in a urban setting, they like big
> >> roads ie road kill!
> >>
> >> Roger Merriman
> > Tuesday as I was riding up the closed section of Redwood Rd. There was
> > quite a few female white tail deer on the road that showed no fear
> > whatsoever of the bicycle. I'm not sure that is a good thing since sooner
> > or later they are going to have to repair that road and then the local
> > asses will use it as a race track and those animals will be at risk. The
> > only good thing is that it may cause these drivers to lose control and
> > kill themselves making nightly news demanding that all of the deer be
> > killed as a menace to society.
> >
> Depends I guess on the road, most of the roads I see deer or even sheep who
> are definitely not bothered by cars nor wild for that matter. Are narrow
> roads, and sort of places that can have all sorts of things in the road
> from fallen branches/stones to wildlife and livestock.
>
> Though these are likely to be stationary or close enough, more careful is
> other vehicles ie closing speed. Hence a degree of caution particularly in
> daylight where visibility is less is wise!
>
> Roger Merriman

California is filled with illegal aliens that are not prosecuted for anything, even speeding tickets, so they go literally as fast as they can.

Re: Group riding complications

<cb0f1c6e-ffdf-404a-90df-b365bd55b7e5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=85314&group=rec.bicycles.tech#85314

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2023 10:17:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Fri, 30 Jun 2023 17:17 UTC

On Friday, June 30, 2023 at 9:45:20 AM UTC-7, Roger Meriman wrote:
> funkma...@hotmail.com <funkma...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> >> Similar have birtdtable even and don’t mind the pigeons and squirrels, I
> >> see deer in all sorts of places, from the Royal Parks which is I guess
> >> suburban, and they are used to people and relaxed to a point.
> >>
> >> To deer in the greener forgotten places around london or out in the woods
> >> around Surrey which is a briefer encounter!
> >>
> >> Get red kites (big bird of prey not quite eagle sized) often over work,
> >> though as ever more spectacular back in Wales in the hills even at a
> >> greater distance than gliding overhead in a urban setting, they like big
> >> roads ie road kill!
> >>
> >> Roger Merriman
> >
> > "birtdtable"?
> >
> Bird table I’d clearly not typed slow enough!
>
> Roger Merriman

Flunky isn't bright enough to recognize a typo or to figure out another name for a feeding station.

Re: Group riding complications

<HNEnM.62411$bCJd.29969@fx15.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=85319&group=rec.bicycles.tech#85319

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
From: rog...@sarlet.com (Roger Meriman)
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2023 18:03:19 GMT
 by: Roger Meriman - Fri, 30 Jun 2023 18:03 UTC

Tom Kunich <cyclintom@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Friday, June 30, 2023 at 9:45:20 AM UTC-7, Roger Meriman wrote:
>> Tom Kunich <cycl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Tuesday as I was riding up the closed section of Redwood Rd. There was
>>> quite a few female white tail deer on the road that showed no fear
>>> whatsoever of the bicycle. I'm not sure that is a good thing since sooner
>>> or later they are going to have to repair that road and then the local
>>> asses will use it as a race track and those animals will be at risk. The
>>> only good thing is that it may cause these drivers to lose control and
>>> kill themselves making nightly news demanding that all of the deer be
>>> killed as a menace to society.
>>>
>> Depends I guess on the road, most of the roads I see deer or even sheep who
>> are definitely not bothered by cars nor wild for that matter. Are narrow
>> roads, and sort of places that can have all sorts of things in the road
>> from fallen branches/stones to wildlife and livestock.
>>
>> Though these are likely to be stationary or close enough, more careful is
>> other vehicles ie closing speed. Hence a degree of caution particularly in
>> daylight where visibility is less is wise!
>>
>> Roger Merriman
>
> California is filled with illegal aliens that are not prosecuted for
> anything, even speeding tickets, so they go literally as fast as they can.

I’d not be worried about speeding tickets at least in the country roads
where I might encounter deer, more that I might encounter either a car
coming the other way, or the stone lined wall and so on.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Group riding complications

<qv7u9iln0u3gjinm6j9o1q2ah1j5m556gb@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=85320&group=rec.bicycles.tech#85320

From: solo...@drafting.not (Catrike Rider)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2023 14:37:40 -0400
References: <UFTmM.167483$AHo7.35210@fx07.ams4> <u7hhcu$1pum5$1@dont-email.me> <Bl3nM.351439$cPO1.257844@fx10.ams4> <732aae47-7b42-44e6-ab26-e32dabf5ffbbn@googlegroups.com> <0t6r9ilqtd0lf6h0pt3ecei8pk0kke5ml0@4ax.com> <u7ki24$27nch$2@dont-email.me> <ojqr9i99ohvmfktq4plij83kber46eoa5o@4ax.com> <iMwnM.5106$mq28.1519@fx08.ams4> <3b8t9i1uraoffh39tv7cf5ro7ghbfrl1m5@4ax.com> <r2CnM.517$MLF.317@fx13.ams4> <481e6a44-6609-47b2-83e7-9898b9130ebfn@googlegroups.com>
 by: Catrike Rider - Fri, 30 Jun 2023 18:37 UTC

On Fri, 30 Jun 2023 08:13:39 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
<cyclintom@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Friday, June 30, 2023 at 7:56:26?AM UTC-7, Roger Meriman wrote:
>> Catrike Rider <sol...@drafting.not> wrote:

>> > I cannot explain, why I am, like many other people, fascinated with
>> > animals and birds. It's one of the things I look forward to when I am
>> > outdoors, and one of the reasons why I dislike urban locations.
>> >
>> Similar have birtdtable even and don’t mind the pigeons and squirrels, I
>> see deer in all sorts of places, from the Royal Parks which is I guess
>> suburban, and they are used to people and relaxed to a point.
>>
>> To deer in the greener forgotten places around london or out in the woods
>> around Surrey which is a briefer encounter!
>>
>> Get red kites (big bird of prey not quite eagle sized) often over work,
>> though as ever more spectacular back in Wales in the hills even at a
>> greater distance than gliding overhead in a urban setting, they like big
>> roads ie road kill!
>>
>> Roger Merriman
>Tuesday as I was riding up the closed section of Redwood Rd. There was quite a few female white tail deer on the road that showed no fear whatsoever of the bicycle. I'm not sure that is a good thing since sooner or later they are going to have to repair that road and then the local asses will use it as a race track and those animals will be at risk. The only good thing is that it may cause these drivers to lose control and kill themselves making nightly news demanding that all of the deer be killed as a menace to society.

Whenever I see a deer showing no fear, I do whatever I need to do to
make it afraid. Sometimes I get chastised for that by people who don't
know any better. I'm not opposed to hunting deer, I've done it myself,
but it should be a fair contest.

Re: Group riding complications

<874jmo64c1.fsf@mothra.home>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=85324&group=rec.bicycles.tech#85324

From: shou...@comcast.net (Radey Shouman)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2023 17:13:50 -0400
sha1:fR3wUsgwNRC90HaQLjn9bFB9pog=
 by: Radey Shouman - Fri, 30 Jun 2023 21:13 UTC

Frank Krygowski <frkrygow@sbcglobal.net> writes:

> On 6/29/2023 2:20 PM, AMuzi wrote:
>> Then again Mr Merriman probably doesn't ride near alligators.
>
> Yawn. Been there, done that.
>
> Okefenokee, Georgia.
> https://www.flickr.com/photos/16972296@N08/53011489063/in/dateposted-public/
>
> That's one on the culvert, just past my wife. Others were closer on
> the road. Admittedly, it was a chilly day so they weren't very
> energetic.
>
> And if you count the ones in the ditch, not on the pavement, I've also
> ridden past them on back roads a bit south of Jacksonville.

It's more fun in a canoe.

--

Re: Group riding complications

<ohiu9ite5fph6copkn0impod4moqh6f25f@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=85325&group=rec.bicycles.tech#85325

From: solo...@drafting.not (Catrike Rider)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2023 17:35:27 -0400
References: <u7f335$1el3r$1@dont-email.me> <cYHmM.655643$6W22.214753@fx05.ams4> <393c94c4-d028-4f30-8c39-bfc1610694d1n@googlegroups.com> <ppmm9i9hrghnr67bctouedok3ng9m2q0id@4ax.com> <UFTmM.167483$AHo7.35210@fx07.ams4> <u7hhcu$1pum5$1@dont-email.me> <Bl3nM.351439$cPO1.257844@fx10.ams4> <732aae47-7b42-44e6-ab26-e32dabf5ffbbn@googlegroups.com> <0t6r9ilqtd0lf6h0pt3ecei8pk0kke5ml0@4ax.com> <u7ki24$27nch$2@dont-email.me> <u7kn51$28a13$1@dont-email.me> <874jmo64c1.fsf@mothra.home>
 by: Catrike Rider - Fri, 30 Jun 2023 21:35 UTC

On Fri, 30 Jun 2023 17:13:50 -0400, Radey Shouman
<shouman@comcast.net> wrote:

>Frank Krygowski <frkrygow@sbcglobal.net> writes:
>
>> On 6/29/2023 2:20 PM, AMuzi wrote:
>>> Then again Mr Merriman probably doesn't ride near alligators.
>>
>> Yawn. Been there, done that.
>>
>> Okefenokee, Georgia.
>> https://www.flickr.com/photos/16972296@N08/53011489063/in/dateposted-public/
>>
>> That's one on the culvert, just past my wife. Others were closer on
>> the road. Admittedly, it was a chilly day so they weren't very
>> energetic.
>>
>> And if you count the ones in the ditch, not on the pavement, I've also
>> ridden past them on back roads a bit south of Jacksonville.
>
>It's more fun in a canoe.

Yes. Been there, done that.. also in a kayak.

Re: Group riding complications

<ornu9i9nb4871b0nd8helrs49kai1c4qmq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=85330&group=rec.bicycles.tech#85330

From: slocom...@gmail.com (John B.)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2023 06:05:49 +0700
References: <Bl3nM.351439$cPO1.257844@fx10.ams4> <732aae47-7b42-44e6-ab26-e32dabf5ffbbn@googlegroups.com> <0t6r9ilqtd0lf6h0pt3ecei8pk0kke5ml0@4ax.com> <u7ki24$27nch$2@dont-email.me> <ojqr9i99ohvmfktq4plij83kber46eoa5o@4ax.com> <iMwnM.5106$mq28.1519@fx08.ams4> <3b8t9i1uraoffh39tv7cf5ro7ghbfrl1m5@4ax.com> <r2CnM.517$MLF.317@fx13.ams4> <d51eca31-c6fc-4d39-90b1-95fa0fb08bfcn@googlegroups.com> <wEDnM.7270$HRob.6392@fx06.ams4> <09bd4fa3-056c-4208-b68e-b594b5520f62n@googlegroups.com>
 by: John B. - Fri, 30 Jun 2023 23:05 UTC

On Fri, 30 Jun 2023 10:03:29 -0700 (PDT), "funkma...@hotmail.com"
<funkmasterxx@hotmail.com> wrote:

>On Friday, June 30, 2023 at 12:45:20?PM UTC-4, Roger Meriman wrote:
>> funkma...@hotmail.com <funkma...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> > "birtdtable"?
>> >
>> Bird table I’d clearly not typed slow enough!
>>

>I'm still not sure what that is. I googled it and got pictures of bird feeding tables. Is that what you're referring to?

In American English a coffee table is where you have coffee so a bird
table must be where you have a bird :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Re: Group riding complications

<idqu9iliqv0rlsrt6d0qb7e962maevn64r@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=85334&group=rec.bicycles.tech#85334

From: slocom...@gmail.com (John B.)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2023 06:56:49 +0700
References: <732aae47-7b42-44e6-ab26-e32dabf5ffbbn@googlegroups.com> <0t6r9ilqtd0lf6h0pt3ecei8pk0kke5ml0@4ax.com> <u7ki24$27nch$2@dont-email.me> <ojqr9i99ohvmfktq4plij83kber46eoa5o@4ax.com> <iMwnM.5106$mq28.1519@fx08.ams4> <3b8t9i1uraoffh39tv7cf5ro7ghbfrl1m5@4ax.com> <r2CnM.517$MLF.317@fx13.ams4> <481e6a44-6609-47b2-83e7-9898b9130ebfn@googlegroups.com> <wEDnM.7271$HRob.703@fx06.ams4> <cdda03cc-57f0-4d87-8806-72c9a4222002n@googlegroups.com> <HNEnM.62411$bCJd.29969@fx15.ams4>
 by: John B. - Fri, 30 Jun 2023 23:56 UTC

<O8XnM.31986$MLF.31473@fx13.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=85348&group=rec.bicycles.tech#85348

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
From: rog...@sarlet.com (Roger Meriman)
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2023 14:56:46 GMT
 by: Roger Meriman - Sat, 1 Jul 2023 14:56 UTC

John B. <slocombjb@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Jun 2023 18:03:19 GMT, Roger Meriman <roger@sarlet.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Tom Kunich <cyclintom@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> California is filled with illegal aliens that are not prosecuted for
>>> anything, even speeding tickets, so they go literally as fast as they can.
>>>
>> I’d not be worried about speeding tickets at least in the country roads
>> where I might encounter deer, more that I might encounter either a car
>> coming the other way, or the stone lined wall and so on.
>>
>> Roger Merriman
>
> Here, in "deer" country you have to look out for the deer :-)
> In the state of New Hampshire something like 1200 auto - deer
> collisions occur annually and about 120 people die in the crashes.

Depends on the road, south of me in Surrey most of the roads that network
the Surrey hills and woods, are generally smaller slower roads, and so deer
are much less of a issue though I’ve not encountered any in the car or
aware of it as problem, Surrey has extensive woods and deer.

Click here to read the complete article