Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste -- ksh@cis.ufl.edu put this on Tshirts in '93

tech / sci.math / What is the difference of dividing by infinite or finite?

SubjectAuthor
* What is the difference of dividing by infinite or finite?mitchr...@gmail.com
+* Re: What is the difference of dividing by infinite or finite?Michael Moroney
|`* Re: What is the difference of dividing by infinite or finite?mitchr...@gmail.com
| `* Re: What is the difference of dividing by infinite or finite?Michael Moroney
|  `* Re: What is the difference of dividing by infinite or finite?mitchr...@gmail.com
|   +- Re: What is the difference of dividing by infinite or finite?Buffalo Custardbath
|   `- Re: What is the difference of dividing by infinite or finite?Michael Moroney
`- Re: What is the difference of dividing by infinite or finite?Timothy Golden

1
What is the difference of dividing by infinite or finite?

<0c6459dd-7c81-4a3f-8b70-9e0e2836e2adn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=86638&group=sci.math#86638

Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2021 11:50:08 -0800 (PST)
Subject: What is the difference of dividing by infinite or finite?
From: mitchrae...@gmail.com (mitchr...@gmail.com)
 by: mitchr...@gmail.com - Mon, 27 Dec 2021 19:50 UTC

Calculus defined the first quantity beyond zero
as 1 divided by infinity. That has the infinite smallness...
as zero has no size...

Mitchell Raemsch

Re: What is the difference of dividing by infinite or finite?

<sqd7b1$fka$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=86642&group=sci.math#86642

From: moro...@world.std.spaamtrap.com (Michael Moroney)
Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2021 15:22:57 -0500
 by: Michael Moroney - Mon, 27 Dec 2021 20:22 UTC

On 12/27/2021 2:50 PM, mitchr...@gmail.com wrote:
> Calculus defined the first quantity beyond zero
> as 1 divided by infinity. That has the infinite smallness...
> as zero has no size...

No, Roy, infinity is not a number in the reals. It is a limit, so that
you can state something like:
As x gets larger and larger, approaching infinite, its reciprocal 1/x
approaches 0.

If you have an extended real number system which infinity is considered
to be a number, the reciprocal of infinity is 0.

Re: What is the difference of dividing by infinite or finite?

<409d2c8e-9112-4027-9a92-4cbfca0df93an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=86657&group=sci.math#86657

Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2021 15:40:10 -0800 (PST)
From: mitchrae...@gmail.com (mitchr...@gmail.com)
 by: mitchr...@gmail.com - Mon, 27 Dec 2021 23:40 UTC

On Monday, December 27, 2021 at 12:23:07 PM UTC-8, Michael Moroney wrote:
> On 12/27/2021 2:50 PM, mitchr...@gmail.com wrote:
> > Calculus defined the first quantity beyond zero
> > as 1 divided by infinity. That has the infinite smallness...
> > as zero has no size...
> >
> No, Roy, infinity is not a number in the reals.

It's quantity concept has a name.
Infinity is real as the concept of all finites together...
The infinity definition is all the quantity that is made of all finites...
even as they go on together forever. Like an infinite set..

Mitchell Raemsch

Re: What is the difference of dividing by infinite or finite?

<stt3i0$1lhu$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=90449&group=sci.math#90449

From: moro...@world.std.spaamtrap.com (Michael Moroney)
Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2022 01:45:20 -0500
 by: Michael Moroney - Tue, 8 Feb 2022 06:45 UTC

On 12/27/2021 6:40 PM, mitchr...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Monday, December 27, 2021 at 12:23:07 PM UTC-8, Michael Moroney wrote:
>> On 12/27/2021 2:50 PM, mitchr...@gmail.com wrote:
>>> Calculus defined the first quantity beyond zero
>>> as 1 divided by infinity. That has the infinite smallness...
>>> as zero has no size...
>>>
>> No, Roy, infinity is not a number in the reals.
>
> It's quantity concept has a name.

You're babbling again, Roy. Infinity isn't a number in the reals. It's
probably best if you think of it as a limit. For this example, if x
gets larger and larger, 1/x gets closer and closer to 0. So if x becomes
infinite (meaning larger and larger without bound, NOT x=something) then
the limit of 1/x is 0.

> Infinity is real as the concept of all finites together...
> The infinity definition is all the quantity that is made of all finites...
> even as they go on together forever. Like an infinite set..

That's more babble but it sounds like you are trying to redefine
infinity to be to your liking. Redefining something and then using your
redefined something to prove or disprove something is worthless.

You should ask Zelos or some other mathematician about how the reals are
defined, and why the definition doesn't include infinity or
infinitesimals as real numbers.

Re: What is the difference of dividing by infinite or finite?

<57147ec5-d4a4-4d07-9be3-10c5bd1a16f8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=90486&group=sci.math#90486

Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2022 09:57:44 -0800 (PST)
From: mitchrae...@gmail.com (mitchr...@gmail.com)
 by: mitchr...@gmail.com - Tue, 8 Feb 2022 17:57 UTC

On Monday, February 7, 2022 at 10:45:41 PM UTC-8, Michael Moroney wrote:
> On 12/27/2021 6:40 PM, mitchr...@gmail.com wrote:
> >>>
> >> No, Roy, infinity is not a number in the reals.
> >
> > It's quantity concept has a name.
> You're babbling again, Roy. Infinity isn't a number in the reals. It's
> probably best if you think of it as a limit. For this example, if x
> gets larger and larger, 1/x gets closer and closer to 0. So if x becomes
> infinite (meaning larger and larger without bound, NOT x=something) then
> the limit of 1/x is 0.
> > Infinity is real as the concept of all finites together...
> > The infinity definition is all the quantity that is made of all finites...
> > even as they go on together forever. Like an infinite set..
> That's more babble but it sounds like you are trying to redefine
> infinity to be to your liking. Redefining something and then using your
> redefined something to prove or disprove something is worthless.
>
> You should ask Zelos or some other mathematician about how the reals are
> defined, and why the definition doesn't include infinity or
> infinitesimals as real numbers.

How are you going to argue that the concept isn't real you moron?
What is your proof?

Mitchell Raemsch

Re: What is the difference of dividing by infinite or finite?

<7fa6487e-c068-41bf-937d-d5abe7cfe911n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=90491&group=sci.math#90491

Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2022 10:25:03 -0800 (PST)
From: timbandt...@gmail.com (Timothy Golden)
 by: Timothy Golden - Tue, 8 Feb 2022 18:25 UTC

On Monday, December 27, 2021 at 2:50:14 PM UTC-5, mitchr...@gmail.com wrote:
> Calculus defined the first quantity beyond zero
> as 1 divided by infinity. That has the infinite smallness...
> as zero has no size...
>
> Mitchell Raemsch

Most of your stuff is better than this I think.
The differential works well at finite size.
It just improves as it gets smaller.
The continuum works like this.
It's a gray thing; not black and white.
Certainly here we are encrypting in black and white and there could be some issues in translation. It seems the status quo has some issues in their translation.

When an engineer sees a value like 2.01 (Volts, say) it's pretty clear where the gray is. For the mathematician the value works differently. They, as they claim perfection in their theories forgot to pay attention to their supposed perfection of their values.

Contention seems not to be possible here. Confrontation impossible. Complicity on both sides, and look the other way. Just being polite, right?

Re: What is the difference of dividing by infinite or finite?

<stuci1$1lvf$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=90492&group=sci.math#90492

From: bufc...@bath.com (Buffalo Custardbath)
Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2022 10:25:04 -0800
 by: Buffalo Custardbath - Tue, 8 Feb 2022 18:25 UTC

On 2/8/2022 9:57 AM, mitchr...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Monday, February 7, 2022 at 10:45:41 PM UTC-8, Michael Moroney wrote:

Get brain soon.

Re: What is the difference of dividing by infinite or finite?

<stupkk$1kce$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=90508&group=sci.math#90508

From: moro...@world.std.spaamtrap.com (Michael Moroney)
Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2022 17:08:22 -0500
 by: Michael Moroney - Tue, 8 Feb 2022 22:08 UTC

On 2/8/2022 12:57 PM, mitchr...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Monday, February 7, 2022 at 10:45:41 PM UTC-8, Michael Moroney wrote:

>>> It's quantity concept has a name.
>> You're babbling again, Roy. Infinity isn't a number in the reals. It's
>> probably best if you think of it as a limit. For this example, if x
>> gets larger and larger, 1/x gets closer and closer to 0. So if x becomes
>> infinite (meaning larger and larger without bound, NOT x=something) then
>> the limit of 1/x is 0.
>>> Infinity is real as the concept of all finites together...
>>> The infinity definition is all the quantity that is made of all finites...
>>> even as they go on together forever. Like an infinite set..
>> That's more babble but it sounds like you are trying to redefine
>> infinity to be to your liking. Redefining something and then using your
>> redefined something to prove or disprove something is worthless.
>>
>> You should ask Zelos or some other mathematician about how the reals are
>> defined, and why the definition doesn't include infinity or
>> infinitesimals as real numbers.
>
> How are you going to argue that the concept isn't real you moron?
> What is your proof?

Because you really can't do ordinary math with them. Which is why they
aren't considered part of the reals.
What is 5+∞? What is 5*infinitesimal? What is ∞²? What is
sqrt(infinitesimal)? What is 0*∞? What is sin(∞)? Etc.

And don't forget, according to the reals, there is no smallest since
there is ALWAYS a smaller number.