For every problem there is one solution which is simple, neat, and wrong. -- H. L. Mencken

tech / sci.electronics.design / OT: French (?) burial customs

SubjectAuthor
* OT: French (?) burial customsDon Y
+- Re: OT: French (?) burial customsjlarkin
+* Re: OT: French (?) burial customsFred Bloggs
|+* Re: OT: French (?) burial customsJohn Walliker
||`- Re: OT: French (?) burial customsSpehro Pefhany
|`- Re: OT: French (?) burial customsDon Y
+- Re: OT: French (?) burial customsCursitor Doom
`- Re: OT: French (?) burial customsAnthony William Sloman

1
OT: French (?) burial customs

<sr3ka4$59o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=86729&group=sci.electronics.design#86729

From: blockedo...@foo.invalid (Don Y)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: OT: French (?) burial customs
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2022 01:19:11 -0700
 by: Don Y - Wed, 5 Jan 2022 08:19 UTC

In the US, bodies interred in earth are typically marked
with a headstone (of differing degrees of detail).

In France, it appears (?) that the headstone is part of
a more elaborate crypt-like structure. I.e., almost
as if it was a "headboard" of a *bed* (with the "matress"
being implemented as a large, horizontal slab of stone).

Is this common? Does the "slab" act as a cover for the burial
crypt/vault? Almost like a sarcophagus? I.e., is the body
actually located directly below (and within *inches* of this
slab/cover)?

E.g., in many locations (varies with local law/custom/policy),
a body is placed in a casket and the casket is encased in
a vault/grave-liner (often for functional purposes). Does
the slab effectively act as the top of such a vault?

Re: OT: French (?) burial customs

<3puatgd35os104dv98up82ocos5g3g5dhd@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=86762&group=sci.electronics.design#86762

From: jlar...@highlandsniptechnology.com
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: OT: French (?) burial customs
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2022 03:11:27 -0800
 by: jlar...@highlandsniptechnology.com - Wed, 5 Jan 2022 11:11 UTC

On Wed, 5 Jan 2022 01:19:11 -0700, Don Y <blockedofcourse@foo.invalid>
wrote:

>In the US, bodies interred in earth are typically marked
>with a headstone (of differing degrees of detail).
>
>In France, it appears (?) that the headstone is part of
>a more elaborate crypt-like structure. I.e., almost
>as if it was a "headboard" of a *bed* (with the "matress"
>being implemented as a large, horizontal slab of stone).
>
>Is this common? Does the "slab" act as a cover for the burial
>crypt/vault? Almost like a sarcophagus? I.e., is the body
>actually located directly below (and within *inches* of this
>slab/cover)?
>
>E.g., in many locations (varies with local law/custom/policy),
>a body is placed in a casket and the casket is encased in
>a vault/grave-liner (often for functional purposes). Does
>the slab effectively act as the top of such a vault?

In New Orleans graves were classicly stone coffins that sat on and
above the ground, with text carved on the side or top. Nobody wanted
to see their dear dead auntie lowered into a pit of muddy water.

https://tile.loc.gov/image-services/iiif/service:pnp:highsm:17000:17095/full/pct:50/0/default.jpg

There were also little stone buildings with multiple family members
inside.

--

I yam what I yam - Popeye

Re: OT: French (?) burial customs

<f2f95453-2668-461d-a07a-9f4846a86a83n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=86763&group=sci.electronics.design#86763

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2022 04:15:07 -0800 (PST)
From: bloggs.f...@gmail.com (Fred Bloggs)
 by: Fred Bloggs - Wed, 5 Jan 2022 12:15 UTC

On Wednesday, January 5, 2022 at 3:19:22 AM UTC-5, Don Y wrote:
> In the US, bodies interred in earth are typically marked
> with a headstone (of differing degrees of detail).
>
> In France, it appears (?) that the headstone is part of
> a more elaborate crypt-like structure. I.e., almost
> as if it was a "headboard" of a *bed* (with the "matress"
> being implemented as a large, horizontal slab of stone).
>
> Is this common? Does the "slab" act as a cover for the burial
> crypt/vault? Almost like a sarcophagus? I.e., is the body
> actually located directly below (and within *inches* of this
> slab/cover)?
>
> E.g., in many locations (varies with local law/custom/policy),
> a body is placed in a casket and the casket is encased in
> a vault/grave-liner (often for functional purposes). Does
> the slab effectively act as the top of such a vault?

Sounds like they had a helluva problem with scavengers. Probably anteaters again.

Re: OT: French (?) burial customs

<235d4d57-a705-4e07-bad5-308947c0bab3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=86791&group=sci.electronics.design#86791

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2022 04:51:16 -0800 (PST)
From: jrwalli...@gmail.com (John Walliker)
 by: John Walliker - Wed, 5 Jan 2022 12:51 UTC

On Wednesday, 5 January 2022 at 12:15:11 UTC, Fred Bloggs wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 5, 2022 at 3:19:22 AM UTC-5, Don Y wrote:
> > In the US, bodies interred in earth are typically marked
> > with a headstone (of differing degrees of detail).
> >
> > In France, it appears (?) that the headstone is part of
> > a more elaborate crypt-like structure. I.e., almost
> > as if it was a "headboard" of a *bed* (with the "matress"
> > being implemented as a large, horizontal slab of stone).
> >
> > Is this common? Does the "slab" act as a cover for the burial
> > crypt/vault? Almost like a sarcophagus? I.e., is the body
> > actually located directly below (and within *inches* of this
> > slab/cover)?
> >
> > E.g., in many locations (varies with local law/custom/policy),
> > a body is placed in a casket and the casket is encased in
> > a vault/grave-liner (often for functional purposes). Does
> > the slab effectively act as the top of such a vault?
> Sounds like they had a helluva problem with scavengers. Probably anteaters again.

Some cultures take advantage of the scavengers:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky_burial

An unusual burial near here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Labilliere

John

Re: OT: French (?) burial customs

<kpfbtgtrevkhvu7onlevvtu60gmp256dtq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=86813&group=sci.electronics.design#86813

From: speffS...@interlogDOTyou.knowwhat (Spehro Pefhany)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2022 10:55:27 -0500
 by: Spehro Pefhany - Wed, 5 Jan 2022 15:55 UTC

On Wed, 5 Jan 2022 04:51:16 -0800 (PST), John Walliker
<jrwalliker@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Wednesday, 5 January 2022 at 12:15:11 UTC, Fred Bloggs wrote:
>> On Wednesday, January 5, 2022 at 3:19:22 AM UTC-5, Don Y wrote:
>> > In the US, bodies interred in earth are typically marked
>> > with a headstone (of differing degrees of detail).
>> >
>> > In France, it appears (?) that the headstone is part of
>> > a more elaborate crypt-like structure. I.e., almost
>> > as if it was a "headboard" of a *bed* (with the "matress"
>> > being implemented as a large, horizontal slab of stone).
>> >
>> > Is this common? Does the "slab" act as a cover for the burial
>> > crypt/vault? Almost like a sarcophagus? I.e., is the body
>> > actually located directly below (and within *inches* of this
>> > slab/cover)?
>> >
>> > E.g., in many locations (varies with local law/custom/policy),
>> > a body is placed in a casket and the casket is encased in
>> > a vault/grave-liner (often for functional purposes). Does
>> > the slab effectively act as the top of such a vault?
>> Sounds like they had a helluva problem with scavengers. Probably anteaters again.
>
>Some cultures take advantage of the scavengers:
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky_burial
>
>An unusual burial near here:
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Labilliere
>
>John

Here is a vertical graveyard (I think) in Galicia (Northern Spain, not
Ukraine). ca. mid- 2019 (the before times)

https://i.imgur.com/5AqTC6G.jpg

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Re: OT: French (?) burial customs

<7n7ctgt0f3ljid1v89nbcdp81s5igoit08@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=86842&group=sci.electronics.design#86842

From: cd...@notformail.com (Cursitor Doom)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2022 22:43:07 +0000
 by: Cursitor Doom - Wed, 5 Jan 2022 22:43 UTC

wrote:

>In the US, bodies interred in earth are typically marked
>with a headstone (of differing degrees of detail).
>
>In France, it appears (?) that the headstone is part of
>a more elaborate crypt-like structure. I.e., almost
>as if it was a "headboard" of a *bed* (with the "matress"
>being implemented as a large, horizontal slab of stone).
>
>Is this common? Does the "slab" act as a cover for the burial
>crypt/vault? Almost like a sarcophagus? I.e., is the body
>actually located directly below (and within *inches* of this
>slab/cover)?
>
>E.g., in many locations (varies with local law/custom/policy),
>a body is placed in a casket and the casket is encased in
>a vault/grave-liner (often for functional purposes). Does
>the slab effectively act as the top of such a vault?

What you got in mind? Grave robbing?

Re: OT: French (?) burial customs

<sr5d51$psu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=86846&group=sci.electronics.design#86846

From: blockedo...@foo.invalid (Don Y)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2022 17:29:11 -0700
 by: Don Y - Thu, 6 Jan 2022 00:29 UTC

On 1/5/2022 5:15 AM, Fred Bloggs wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 5, 2022 at 3:19:22 AM UTC-5, Don Y wrote:
>> In the US, bodies interred in earth are typically marked
>> with a headstone (of differing degrees of detail).
>>
>> In France, it appears (?) that the headstone is part of
>> a more elaborate crypt-like structure. I.e., almost
>> as if it was a "headboard" of a *bed* (with the "matress"
>> being implemented as a large, horizontal slab of stone).
>>
>> Is this common? Does the "slab" act as a cover for the burial
>> crypt/vault? Almost like a sarcophagus? I.e., is the body
>> actually located directly below (and within *inches* of this
>> slab/cover)?
>>
>> E.g., in many locations (varies with local law/custom/policy),
>> a body is placed in a casket and the casket is encased in
>> a vault/grave-liner (often for functional purposes). Does
>> the slab effectively act as the top of such a vault?
>
> Sounds like they had a helluva problem with scavengers. Probably anteaters again.

If the goal was to protect against critters, one could adopt a
below-grade vault/liner. Placing a life-sized slab of polished
granite atop the "body in repose" seems extravagant -- like
erecting a mausoleum to house the interred.

OTOH, "stonework" is fairly common in some cultures.

I'd like to know if this was *common* (like salvaging the skull
of the deceased to be displayed in your home) or a sign of
"standing"/prestige. (a "pyramid", on a smaller scale)

Re: OT: French (?) burial customs

<1a8a9a8a-ded3-453e-ae7a-fb57f3b16d1bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=86850&group=sci.electronics.design#86850

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2022 17:33:09 -0800 (PST)
From: bill.slo...@ieee.org (Anthony William Sloman)
 by: Anthony William Slom - Thu, 6 Jan 2022 01:33 UTC

On Wednesday, January 5, 2022 at 7:19:22 PM UTC+11, Don Y wrote:
> In the US, bodies interred in earth are typically marked
> with a headstone (of differing degrees of detail).
>
> In France, it appears (?) that the headstone is part of
> a more elaborate crypt-like structure. I.e., almost
> as if it was a "headboard" of a *bed* (with the "matress"
> being implemented as a large, horizontal slab of stone).
>
> Is this common? Does the "slab" act as a cover for the burial
> crypt/vault? Almost like a sarcophagus? I.e., is the body
> actually located directly below (and within *inches* of this
> slab/cover)?
>
> E.g., in many locations (varies with local law/custom/policy),
> a body is placed in a casket and the casket is encased in
> a vault/grave-liner (often for functional purposes). Does
> the slab effectively act as the top of such a vault?

Australia and UK habits vary. If you have the money, it's not unusual to put a six foot long stone slab on top of the grave, and carve the names and and dates of birth and death of the person or people underneath into the slab, or you can put a head-stone at one end of the slab and put the details there.

Vaults are a more extravagant kind of display. Space in cemeteries costs money, and a family vault can let you stack family members more densely than a single grave allows, and have a more flamboyant display of wealth.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney