"When the going gets tough, the tough get empirical." -- Jon Carroll

tech / sci.electronics.design / Why apps?

SubjectAuthor
* Why apps?Jeroen Belleman
+* Re: Why apps?Arnie Dwyer (ex Jan Frank)
|`- Re: Why apps?bitrex
+* Re: Why apps?Dimiter_Popoff
|+* Re: Why apps?Ed Lee
||+- Re: Why apps?Rick C
||`- Re: Why apps?bitrex
|`* Re: Why apps?John Robertson
| `- Re: Why apps?bitrex
+* Re: Why apps?legg
|+* Re: Why apps?Ralph Mowery
||`- Re: Why apps?legg
|`* Re: Why apps?Lasse Langwadt Christensen
| `* Re: Why apps?legg
|  +* Re: Why apps?Dimiter_Popoff
|  |`- Re: Why apps?legg
|  `- Re: Why apps?Carlos E.R.
+* Re: Why apps?Phil Hobbs
|+* Re: Why apps?Lasse Langwadt Christensen
||+- Re: Why apps?Phil Hobbs
||`* Re: Why apps?Jeroen Belleman
|| +* Re: Why apps?Don Y
|| |+* Re: Why apps?Tom Del Rosso
|| |+* Re: Why apps?whit3rd
|| |`* Re: Why apps?Jeff Layman
|| | `- Re: Why apps?Don Y
|| `- Re: Why apps?Clifford Heath
|`- Re: Why apps?Rich S
+* Re: Why apps?bitrex
|`- Re: Why apps?bitrex
+- Re: Why apps?Klaus Kragelund
+- Re: Why apps?Jan Panteltje
+- Re: Why apps?Don Y
+- Re: Why apps?Cursitor Doom
+- Re: Why apps?Mike Coon
+- Re: Why apps?Martin Brown
+* Re: Why apps?Carlos E.R.
|`- Re: Why apps?Don Y
`* Re: Why apps?Ian
 `- Re: Why apps?Jeroen Belleman

Pages:123
Why apps?

<src2v1$a58$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=87140&group=sci.electronics.design#87140

From: jer...@nospam.please (Jeroen Belleman)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Why apps?
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2022 14:18:24 +0100
 by: Jeroen Belleman - Sat, 8 Jan 2022 13:18 UTC

For years, interaction with the internet worked through a
universal browser. Lately, every service, gadget or whatnot
wants you to download their special-purpose app. Why??
What's the deal? It seems like a huge step backwards to me.

Jeroen Belleman

Re: Why apps?

<XnsAE195996050ADidtokenpost@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=87141&group=sci.electronics.design#87141

From: spa...@not.com (Arnie Dwyer (ex Jan Frank))
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Why apps?
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2022 13:48:18 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Arnie Dwyer (ex Jan - Sat, 8 Jan 2022 13:48 UTC

Jeroen Belleman <jeroen@nospam.please> wrote:

> For years, interaction with the internet worked through a
> universal browser. Lately, every service, gadget or whatnot
> wants you to download their special-purpose app. Why??
> What's the deal? It seems like a huge step backwards to me.
>
> Jeroen Belleman

Desktop browsers don't count anymore. There are billions of phones to attract
marketing messages, and very few desktops.

I view this arrangment in our favor. We are not bothered much by ad campaigns
and can go about our business of collecting information relatively
unhampered. There may be a few useful aps on cellphones, but we can usually
find similar or the equivalent for desktops.

So rejoice that marketers are passing us by.

(Opinions lightly held by a private citizen)

Re: Why apps?

<src4on$ecg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=87142&group=sci.electronics.design#87142

From: dp...@tgi-sci.com (Dimiter_Popoff)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2022 15:49:10 +0200
 by: Dimiter_Popoff - Sat, 8 Jan 2022 13:49 UTC

On 1/8/2022 15:18, Jeroen Belleman wrote:
> For years, interaction with the internet worked through a
> universal browser. Lately, every service, gadget or whatnot
> wants you to download their special-purpose app. Why??
> What's the deal? It seems like a huge step backwards to me.
>
> Jeroen Belleman

I have been wondering that myself, and I also see it as a step back.

Not sure if working outside the browser gives them more control over
the device, perhaps some - I remember facebook constantly suggesting
I use their app, "better than the browser" (I don't use it, never
tried it really, I am not much of a facebooker although I have a profile
etc.).
May be there are many people capable of writing apps - this must have
been made really easy - and they need to be kept busy, who knows.

Re: Why apps?

<dbe687eb-14f1-4e98-ac12-aafee5e2e19an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=87145&group=sci.electronics.design#87145

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2022 07:14:39 -0800 (PST)
From: edward.m...@gmail.com (Ed Lee)
 by: Ed Lee - Sat, 8 Jan 2022 15:14 UTC

On Saturday, January 8, 2022 at 5:49:17 AM UTC-8, Dimiter Popoff wrote:
> On 1/8/2022 15:18, Jeroen Belleman wrote:
> > For years, interaction with the internet worked through a
> > universal browser. Lately, every service, gadget or whatnot
> > wants you to download their special-purpose app. Why??
> > What's the deal? It seems like a huge step backwards to me.
> >
> > Jeroen Belleman
> I have been wondering that myself, and I also see it as a step back.
>
> Not sure if working outside the browser gives them more control over
> the device, perhaps some - I remember facebook constantly suggesting
> I use their app, "better than the browser" (I don't use it, never
> tried it really, I am not much of a facebooker although I have a profile
> etc.).
> May be there are many people capable of writing apps - this must have
> been made really easy - and they need to be kept busy, who knows.

Apps are supposed to be more secure and more convenient. Many apps can store accounts and passwords directly, since you are supposed to have the phone under control all the time. That is until you lose the phone.

Re: Why apps?

<lfbjtg9upd99ifgfqkeetttdbe5gtqjulb@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=87147&group=sci.electronics.design#87147

From: leg...@nospam.magma.ca (legg)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2022 10:33:15 -0500
 by: legg - Sat, 8 Jan 2022 15:33 UTC

On Sat, 08 Jan 2022 14:18:24 +0100, Jeroen Belleman
<jeroen@nospam.please> wrote:

>For years, interaction with the internet worked through a
>universal browser. Lately, every service, gadget or whatnot
>wants you to download their special-purpose app. Why??
>What's the deal? It seems like a huge step backwards to me.
>
>Jeroen Belleman

Have been trying to get an Android OS running on a PC,
just in order to communicate with hardware using a
bluetooth link - which is what mfr app provides.

Android cannot recognize, access or use most of
PC hardware, to do this. Complete flop.

Android not ready for anything other than use as toy.

RL

Re: Why apps?

<MPG.3c438b6055066c6a989be7@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=87156&group=sci.electronics.design#87156

From: rmower...@charter.net (Ralph Mowery)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2022 11:52:34 -0500
 by: Ralph Mowery - Sat, 8 Jan 2022 16:52 UTC

In article <lfbjtg9upd99ifgfqkeetttdbe5gtqjulb@4ax.com>,
legg@nospam.magma.ca says...

> Have been trying to get an Android OS running on a PC,
> just in order to communicate with hardware using a
> bluetooth link - which is what mfr app provides.
>
> Android cannot recognize, access or use most of
> PC hardware, to do this. Complete flop.
>
> Android not ready for anything other than use as toy.
>
> RL

Have you tried this ?

https://www.bluestacks.com/android-emulator.html

Re: Why apps?

<2ff15c7d-ce70-4353-ab36-07f62ce73d71n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=87157&group=sci.electronics.design#87157

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2022 08:56:33 -0800 (PST)
From: langw...@fonz.dk (Lasse Langwadt Christensen)
 by: Lasse Langwadt Chris - Sat, 8 Jan 2022 16:56 UTC

lørdag den 8. januar 2022 kl. 16.33.18 UTC+1 skrev legg:
> On Sat, 08 Jan 2022 14:18:24 +0100, Jeroen Belleman
> <jer...@nospam.please> wrote:
>
> >For years, interaction with the internet worked through a
> >universal browser. Lately, every service, gadget or whatnot
> >wants you to download their special-purpose app. Why??
> >What's the deal? It seems like a huge step backwards to me.
> >
> >Jeroen Belleman
> Have been trying to get an Android OS running on a PC,
> just in order to communicate with hardware using a
> bluetooth link - which is what mfr app provides.
>
> Android cannot recognize, access or use most of
> PC hardware, to do this. Complete flop.
>
> Android not ready for anything other than use as toy.

there are 3 billion active Android devices ...

Re: Why apps?

<ff575804-8278-890f-c970-bb0080b579b4@electrooptical.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=87166&group=sci.electronics.design#87166

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: pcdhSpam...@electrooptical.net (Phil Hobbs)
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2022 12:37:06 -0500
 by: Phil Hobbs - Sat, 8 Jan 2022 17:37 UTC

Jeroen Belleman wrote:
> For years, interaction with the internet worked through a
> universal browser. Lately, every service, gadget or whatnot
> wants you to download their special-purpose app. Why??
> What's the deal? It seems like a huge step backwards to me.
>
> Jeroen Belleman

The way they ask for ridiculously broad permissions should be a clue.

"Why does Walmart need access to my camera, phone, and messages?"

One guess.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com

Re: Why apps?

<w-qdndSpzIhzUkT8nZ2dnUU7-bnNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=87170&group=sci.electronics.design#87170

Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2022 09:54:53 -0800
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: spa...@flippers.com (John Robertson)
 by: John Robertson - Sat, 8 Jan 2022 17:54 UTC

On 2022/01/08 5:49 a.m., Dimiter_Popoff wrote:
> On 1/8/2022 15:18, Jeroen Belleman wrote:
>> For years, interaction with the internet worked through a
>> universal browser. Lately, every service, gadget or whatnot
>> wants you to download their special-purpose app. Why??
>> What's the deal? It seems like a huge step backwards to me.
>>
>> Jeroen Belleman
>
> I have been wondering that myself, and I also see it as a step back.
>
> Not sure if working outside the browser gives them more control over
> the device, perhaps some - I remember facebook constantly suggesting
> I use their app, "better than the browser" (I don't use it, never
> tried it really, I am not much of a facebooker although I have a profile
> etc.).
> May be there are many people capable of writing apps - this must have
> been made really easy - and they need to be kept busy, who knows.

I use FaceBook for business and hate it. It is very clumsy and difficult
to search for past conversations. Flagging stuff like you can do with
most email readers appears to be lost. Unfortunately most of the
customer base I need is on FB so I struggle with their lousy interface
and miss the days when a post I made offering technical advice was
viewed (possibly) by more than a dozen or two people who subscribe to
that FB Group.

FaceBook is a fool's wasteland and shows no sign of improving as it
appears to only care about the present, not the past, nor can you plan
for the future. It is only following the money of advertisers...I trust
that people will get bored with it at some point - I consider it a fad.

John :-#(#

Re: Why apps?

<6c9fd87d-a968-4938-b1b9-287357cbba4an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=87173&group=sci.electronics.design#87173

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2022 10:00:46 -0800 (PST)
From: langw...@fonz.dk (Lasse Langwadt Christensen)
 by: Lasse Langwadt Chris - Sat, 8 Jan 2022 18:00 UTC

lørdag den 8. januar 2022 kl. 18.37.19 UTC+1 skrev Phil Hobbs:
> Jeroen Belleman wrote:
> > For years, interaction with the internet worked through a
> > universal browser. Lately, every service, gadget or whatnot
> > wants you to download their special-purpose app. Why??
> > What's the deal? It seems like a huge step backwards to me.
> >
> > Jeroen Belleman
> The way they ask for ridiculously broad permissions should be a clue.

I think sometimes it is just lazy developers that doesn't bother picking what they actually need
> "Why does Walmart need access to my camera, phone, and messages?"
>
> One guess.

if it scans barcodes it need access to the camera, it might need access to messages
to read a message with something like a discount coupon

Re: Why apps?

<HvkCJ.28010$PNM6.7045@fx09.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=87181&group=sci.electronics.design#87181

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: use...@example.net (bitrex)
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2022 13:13:59 -0500
 by: bitrex - Sat, 8 Jan 2022 18:13 UTC

On 1/8/2022 12:54 PM, John Robertson wrote:

> On 2022/01/08 5:49 a.m., Dimiter_Popoff wrote:
>> On 1/8/2022 15:18, Jeroen Belleman wrote:
>>> For years, interaction with the internet worked through a
>>> universal browser. Lately, every service, gadget or whatnot
>>> wants you to download their special-purpose app. Why??
>>> What's the deal? It seems like a huge step backwards to me.
>>>
>>> Jeroen Belleman
>>
>> I have been wondering that myself, and I also see it as a step back.
>>
>> Not sure if working outside the browser gives them more control over
>> the device, perhaps some - I remember facebook constantly suggesting
>> I use their app, "better than the browser" (I don't use it, never
>> tried it really, I am not much of a facebooker although I have a profile
>> etc.).
>> May be there are many people capable of writing apps - this must have
>> been made really easy - and they need to be kept busy, who knows.
>>

> I use FaceBook for business and hate it. It is very clumsy and difficult
> to search for past conversations. Flagging stuff like you can do with
> most email readers appears to be lost. Unfortunately most of the
> customer base I need is on FB so I struggle with their lousy interface
> and miss the days when a post I made offering technical advice was
> viewed (possibly) by more than a dozen or two people who subscribe to
> that FB Group.
>
> FaceBook is a fool's wasteland and shows no sign of improving as it
> appears to only care about the present, not the past, nor can you plan
> for the future. It is only following the money of advertisers...I trust
> that people will get bored with it at some point - I consider it a fad.
>
> John :-#(#

Thankfully in 2022 you can still use Usenet:

<https://youtu.be/qpMvS1Q1sos?t=178>

Re: Why apps?

<ce34ef8f-d4ac-4cd5-9d83-e6ce076d96e5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=87182&group=sci.electronics.design#87182

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2022 10:14:53 -0800 (PST)
From: gnuarm.d...@gmail.com (Rick C)
 by: Rick C - Sat, 8 Jan 2022 18:14 UTC

On Saturday, January 8, 2022 at 10:14:43 AM UTC-5, Ed Lee wrote:
> On Saturday, January 8, 2022 at 5:49:17 AM UTC-8, Dimiter Popoff wrote:
> > On 1/8/2022 15:18, Jeroen Belleman wrote:
> > > For years, interaction with the internet worked through a
> > > universal browser. Lately, every service, gadget or whatnot
> > > wants you to download their special-purpose app. Why??
> > > What's the deal? It seems like a huge step backwards to me.
> > >
> > > Jeroen Belleman
> > I have been wondering that myself, and I also see it as a step back.
> >
> > Not sure if working outside the browser gives them more control over
> > the device, perhaps some - I remember facebook constantly suggesting
> > I use their app, "better than the browser" (I don't use it, never
> > tried it really, I am not much of a facebooker although I have a profile
> > etc.).
> > May be there are many people capable of writing apps - this must have
> > been made really easy - and they need to be kept busy, who knows.
> Apps are supposed to be more secure and more convenient. Many apps can store accounts and passwords directly, since you are supposed to have the phone under control all the time. That is until you lose the phone.

Lol! The app for my go to airline can't pull up my flight info unless I tell it the confirmation number! What idiots came up with that idea? The ones who decided to make it work *just like the web page*! What is the point of being logged in if it's going to ask me questions it should be answering! '

--

Rick C.

- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging

Re: Why apps?

<d68c7b23-ae57-f381-ae9d-3179c8dcd8ac@electrooptical.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=87184&group=sci.electronics.design#87184

From: pcdhSpam...@electrooptical.net (Phil Hobbs)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2022 13:18:29 -0500
 by: Phil Hobbs - Sat, 8 Jan 2022 18:18 UTC

Lasse Langwadt Christensen wrote:
> lørdag den 8. januar 2022 kl. 18.37.19 UTC+1 skrev Phil Hobbs:
>> Jeroen Belleman wrote:
>>> For years, interaction with the internet worked through a
>>> universal browser. Lately, every service, gadget or whatnot
>>> wants you to download their special-purpose app. Why??
>>> What's the deal? It seems like a huge step backwards to me.
>>>
>>> Jeroen Belleman
>> The way they ask for ridiculously broad permissions should be a clue.
>
> I think sometimes it is just lazy developers that doesn't bother picking what they actually need
>
>> "Why does Walmart need access to my camera, phone, and messages?"
>>
>> One guess.
>
> if it scans barcodes it need access to the camera, it might need access to messages
> to read a message with something like a discount coupon

Let's just say there aren't a lot of closed-source apps on my phone.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com

Re: Why apps?

<BGkCJ.76126$cW6.72888@fx08.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=87189&group=sci.electronics.design#87189

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: use...@example.net (bitrex)
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2022 13:25:37 -0500
 by: bitrex - Sat, 8 Jan 2022 18:25 UTC

On 1/8/2022 8:18 AM, Jeroen Belleman wrote:
> For years, interaction with the internet worked through a
> universal browser. Lately, every service, gadget or whatnot
> wants you to download their special-purpose app. Why??
> What's the deal? It seems like a huge step backwards to me.
>
> Jeroen Belleman

Because people don't use the browser nearly as much as they used to in
general, the average browser-user only goes to like 10 sites 95% of the
time anyway.

The Web of the 1990s with lots of independent content is gone, the web
of 2022 consists largely of three things in 2022: Content produced
and/or controlled by giga-buck corporations, advertisements, and shit
basically nobody looks at.

Re: Why apps?

<qIkCJ.76127$cW6.14867@fx08.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=87191&group=sci.electronics.design#87191

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: use...@example.net (bitrex)
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2022 13:27:34 -0500
 by: bitrex - Sat, 8 Jan 2022 18:27 UTC

On 1/8/2022 1:25 PM, bitrex wrote:
> On 1/8/2022 8:18 AM, Jeroen Belleman wrote:
>> For years, interaction with the internet worked through a
>> universal browser. Lately, every service, gadget or whatnot
>> wants you to download their special-purpose app. Why??
>> What's the deal? It seems like a huge step backwards to me.
>>
>> Jeroen Belleman
>
> Because people don't use the browser nearly as much as they used to in
> general, the average browser-user only goes to like 10 sites 95% of the
> time anyway.
>
> The Web of the 1990s with lots of independent content is gone, the web
> of 2022 consists largely of three things in 2022

Apologies for the redundancy. but the Web is becoming as redundant as
some of my typing when I'm running late on my first cup of coffee

Re: Why apps?

<HQkCJ.228125$1d1.74053@fx99.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=87193&group=sci.electronics.design#87193

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: use...@example.net (bitrex)
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2022 13:36:23 -0500
 by: bitrex - Sat, 8 Jan 2022 18:36 UTC

On 1/8/2022 8:48 AM, Arnie Dwyer (ex Jan Frank) wrote:
> Jeroen Belleman <jeroen@nospam.please> wrote:
>
>> For years, interaction with the internet worked through a
>> universal browser. Lately, every service, gadget or whatnot
>> wants you to download their special-purpose app. Why??
>> What's the deal? It seems like a huge step backwards to me.
>>
>> Jeroen Belleman
>
> Desktop browsers don't count anymore. There are billions of phones to attract
> marketing messages, and very few desktops.
>
> I view this arrangment in our favor. We are not bothered much by ad campaigns
> and can go about our business of collecting information relatively
> unhampered. There may be a few useful aps on cellphones, but we can usually
> find similar or the equivalent for desktops.
>
> So rejoice that marketers are passing us by.
>
> (Opinions lightly held by a private citizen)

Right, the WWW is destined to become a mostly-dead technology, like FTP
and Usenet. The average 20 year old of 2040 will have no idea what HTTP
is or how to access a "web site" any more than the average 20 y/o of
2022 knows what a "newsgroup" is.

Re: Why apps?

<ZZkCJ.268807$aF1.157674@fx98.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=87196&group=sci.electronics.design#87196

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: use...@example.net (bitrex)
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2022 13:46:16 -0500
 by: bitrex - Sat, 8 Jan 2022 18:46 UTC

On 1/8/2022 10:14 AM, Ed Lee wrote:
> On Saturday, January 8, 2022 at 5:49:17 AM UTC-8, Dimiter Popoff wrote:
>> On 1/8/2022 15:18, Jeroen Belleman wrote:
>>> For years, interaction with the internet worked through a
>>> universal browser. Lately, every service, gadget or whatnot
>>> wants you to download their special-purpose app. Why??
>>> What's the deal? It seems like a huge step backwards to me.
>>>
>>> Jeroen Belleman
>> I have been wondering that myself, and I also see it as a step back.
>>
>> Not sure if working outside the browser gives them more control over
>> the device, perhaps some - I remember facebook constantly suggesting
>> I use their app, "better than the browser" (I don't use it, never
>> tried it really, I am not much of a facebooker although I have a profile
>> etc.).
>> May be there are many people capable of writing apps - this must have
>> been made really easy - and they need to be kept busy, who knows.
>
> Apps are supposed to be more secure and more convenient. Many apps can store accounts and passwords directly, since you are supposed to have the phone under control all the time. That is until you lose the phone.

All that would have to happen for the WWW to mostly die as a mainstream
technology is for Google to decide it's not worth the trouble to scrape
it anymore and get out of the search-engine business entirely, which is
a plausible thing to happen in the next decade or two.

Re: Why apps?

<srcmh0$1nfr$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=87198&group=sci.electronics.design#87198

From: jer...@nospam.please (Jeroen Belleman)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2022 19:52:15 +0100
 by: Jeroen Belleman - Sat, 8 Jan 2022 18:52 UTC

On 2022-01-08 19:00, Lasse Langwadt Christensen wrote:
> lørdag den 8. januar 2022 kl. 18.37.19 UTC+1 skrev Phil Hobbs:
>> Jeroen Belleman wrote:
>>> For years, interaction with the internet worked through a
>>> universal browser. Lately, every service, gadget or whatnot
>>> wants you to download their special-purpose app. Why??
>>> What's the deal? It seems like a huge step backwards to me.
>>>
>>> Jeroen Belleman
>> The way they ask for ridiculously broad permissions should be a clue.
>
> I think sometimes it is just lazy developers that doesn't bother picking what they actually need
>
>> "Why does Walmart need access to my camera, phone, and messages?"
>>
>> One guess.
>
> if it scans barcodes it need access to the camera, it might need access to messages
> to read a message with something like a discount coupon

You can trust them to purposely invent ways to make the broad
permissions seem legitimate, so that they can better spy on you as
a result.

Jeroen Belleman

Re: Why apps?

<niojtg1a4pgbghu034hg6vtkpic3ifunp4@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=87200&group=sci.electronics.design#87200

From: leg...@nospam.magma.ca (legg)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2022 14:15:32 -0500
 by: legg - Sat, 8 Jan 2022 19:15 UTC

On Sat, 8 Jan 2022 11:52:34 -0500, Ralph Mowery
<rmowery42@charter.net> wrote:

>In article <lfbjtg9upd99ifgfqkeetttdbe5gtqjulb@4ax.com>,
>legg@nospam.magma.ca says...
>>
>> Have been trying to get an Android OS running on a PC,
>> just in order to communicate with hardware using a
>> bluetooth link - which is what mfr app provides.
>>
>> Android cannot recognize, access or use most of
>> PC hardware, to do this. Complete flop.
>>
>> Android not ready for anything other than use as toy.
>>
>> RL
>>

>Have you tried this ?
>
>https://www.bluestacks.com/android-emulator.html

Emulators inherently have no access to hardware.

I've tried booting Android from USB - supposed to
allow access but needs the OS to do so - hardware
model and driver dependent.

RL

Re: Why apps?

<4nojtgljlon0blurp8eoqijaj4ojjvla9i@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=87201&group=sci.electronics.design#87201

From: leg...@nospam.magma.ca (legg)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2022 14:17:53 -0500
 by: legg - Sat, 8 Jan 2022 19:17 UTC

On Sat, 8 Jan 2022 08:56:33 -0800 (PST), Lasse Langwadt Christensen
<langwadt@fonz.dk> wrote:

>lørdag den 8. januar 2022 kl. 16.33.18 UTC+1 skrev legg:
>> On Sat, 08 Jan 2022 14:18:24 +0100, Jeroen Belleman
>> <jer...@nospam.please> wrote:
>>
>> >For years, interaction with the internet worked through a
>> >universal browser. Lately, every service, gadget or whatnot
>> >wants you to download their special-purpose app. Why??
>> >What's the deal? It seems like a huge step backwards to me.
>> >
>> >Jeroen Belleman
>> Have been trying to get an Android OS running on a PC,
>> just in order to communicate with hardware using a
>> bluetooth link - which is what mfr app provides.
>>
>> Android cannot recognize, access or use most of
>> PC hardware, to do this. Complete flop.
>>
>> Android not ready for anything other than use as toy.
>
>there are 3 billion active Android devices ...

The option of buying an android tablet and setting it
up to run the app seems the only current alternative.

Why? because Google doesn't want to do the work of
creating a real OS. Revenue from toys id apparently
enough.

RL

Re: Why apps?

<srcovg$8hn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=87204&group=sci.electronics.design#87204

From: dp...@tgi-sci.com (Dimiter_Popoff)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2022 21:34:08 +0200
 by: Dimiter_Popoff - Sat, 8 Jan 2022 19:34 UTC

On 1/8/2022 21:17, legg wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Jan 2022 08:56:33 -0800 (PST), Lasse Langwadt Christensen
> <langwadt@fonz.dk> wrote:
>
>> lørdag den 8. januar 2022 kl. 16.33.18 UTC+1 skrev legg:

>>> Have been trying to get an Android OS running on a PC,
>>> just in order to communicate with hardware using a
>>> bluetooth link - which is what mfr app provides.
>>>
>>> Android cannot recognize, access or use most of
>>> PC hardware, to do this. Complete flop.
>>>
>>> Android not ready for anything other than use as toy.
>>
>> there are 3 billion active Android devices ...
>>

> The option of buying an android tablet and setting it
> up to run the app seems the only current alternative.
>
> Why? because Google doesn't want to do the work of
> creating a real OS. Revenue from toys id apparently
> enough.
>
> RL

It is not just a matter of wanting. Once you are deeply involved
with and OS - as they are with linux, android is just a colourful
packaging for it - it is just about impossible to move away.

Re: Why apps?

<tscheppe.i060rccul4um@nntp.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=87205&group=sci.electronics.design#87205

From: klausk...@hotmail.com (Klaus Kragelund)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2022 20:36:27 +0100
 by: Klaus Kragelund - Sat, 8 Jan 2022 19:36 UTC

08.01.22 14:18, Jeroen Belleman wrote:
>For years, interaction with the internet worked through a
>universal browser. Lately, every service, gadget or whatnot
>wants you to download their special-purpose app. Why??
>What's the deal? It seems like a huge step backwards to me.

An app is a lot more responsive and not dependent on an internet connection

Also, browsers are not created equal and take up resources (just look up how much RAM is used on a desktop browser)

--
Klaus

Re: Why apps?

<srcp85$hhr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=87206&group=sci.electronics.design#87206

From: pNaonStp...@yahoo.com (Jan Panteltje)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2022 19:37:18 GMT
NewsFleX homepage: http://www.panteltje.com/panteltje/newsflex/ and ftp download ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/linux/system/news/readers/
 by: Jan Panteltje - Sat, 8 Jan 2022 19:37 UTC

On a sunny day (Sat, 08 Jan 2022 14:18:24 +0100) it happened Jeroen Belleman
<jeroen@nospam.please> wrote in <src2v1$a58$1@gioia.aioe.org>:

>For years, interaction with the internet worked through a
>universal browser. Lately, every service, gadget or whatnot
>wants you to download their special-purpose app. Why??
>What's the deal? It seems like a huge step backwards to me.
>
>Jeroen Belleman

The governments want more and more control
where you are, who you talk to, what you do, what you say and your opinion is.
Phones and apps give it to them, for people there is no way to see what code is in those apps.
crypto currencies now also in China on your phone.
Access ... QR codes...
Now wait till you get chipped, like your pet dog.

It is dark times and it must end
Once the nukes fly and the big EMP silences all phones then freedom surfaces again
If there will be anyone left to feel free is of course a valid question.
But wildlife at Tjernobyl thrives.

I have my smartest phone in airplane mode...
There was a lot to do about Israeli spy software used by many countries that
could even start the phone's camera and watch you:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pegasus_(spyware)

Of course they monitor you anyways....

I feel better on my laptop, wrote most relevant clients
email, irc, usenet, what not, and have the internet monitoring tools.
And I do not want to let go of my real keyboard, those rubbing screens do
not do it for me.

I do have a real gasmask for when I have to go demonstrate. :-)
Seems you need a bullet proof vest and anti dog spray too these days here,

everything censored.. I have no facebook account, do have a twitter one, no idea if it still works, never use it.
Seriously think about leaving youtube, already moved to posting stuff on my own website.

>bitrex
No, www will not go away, wikipedia is cool, there are a zillion sites with a zillion very interesting projects.

A much bigger danger is the greens, kids grown up with Al Gore's polar bear crap now have power
and shutdown nuclear - and oil based power plants, have no clue about electrickety or anything else as far as I can see
and soon will force people to live in grass huts again.

Re: Why apps?

<fv3ktgt05cr0s9kgg348cdsf3n7d6fte8j@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=87229&group=sci.electronics.design#87229

From: leg...@nospam.magma.ca (legg)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2022 17:29:08 -0500
 by: legg - Sat, 8 Jan 2022 22:29 UTC

On Sat, 8 Jan 2022 21:34:08 +0200, Dimiter_Popoff <dp@tgi-sci.com>
wrote:

>On 1/8/2022 21:17, legg wrote:
>> On Sat, 8 Jan 2022 08:56:33 -0800 (PST), Lasse Langwadt Christensen
>> <langwadt@fonz.dk> wrote:

>>> there are 3 billion active Android devices ...
>>>

>> The option of buying an android tablet and setting it
>> up to run the app seems the only current alternative.
>>
>> Why? because Google doesn't want to do the work of
>> creating a real OS. Revenue from toys id apparently
>> enough.
>>
>> RL
>
>It is not just a matter of wanting. Once you are deeply involved
>with and OS - as they are with linux, android is just a colourful
>packaging for it - it is just about impossible to move away.

So why don't 'other' linux distros run android apps?

RL

Re: Why apps?

<srd5eo$9oh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=87231&group=sci.electronics.design#87231

From: blockedo...@foo.invalid (Don Y)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2022 16:06:52 -0700
 by: Don Y - Sat, 8 Jan 2022 23:06 UTC

On 1/8/2022 6:18 AM, Jeroen Belleman wrote:
> For years, interaction with the internet worked through a
> universal browser.

.... to a first-order approximation. Note that every browser has
always had browser-specific extensions which "colored" the UX.
And, that's not to mention the presence of evolving standards.

Javascript began the trend away from the browser as a
"dumb terminal". Apps just continue that trend.

> Lately, every service, gadget or whatnot
> wants you to download their special-purpose app. Why??

An app is a lot more responsive than a round-trip to the
server.

An app doesn't *need* to rely on the accessibility/availability
of the server.

An app can more actively target the actual hardware that is
supporting it.

An app has greater control over how things are cached.

An app can access bits of your device that a browser's
sandbox prevents.

"Branding"

Browser interfaces have to tolerate a wider variety of
devices (a user can choose to visit your site from a
desktop PC *or* a tiny phone). This affects the output
and input modalities that are effective. An app can
constrain/expand on those.

Browsers tend to be pigs -- because they have to support
all sorts of extensions, etc.

One *advantage* (from the user's PoV) of an app is that it
can allow you to preserve a particular UI/UX without
being at the mercy of the latest version of served pages
(assuming the vendor allows this backwards compatibility).

One downside with all web-based services is that you're
never sure what you're going to be facing when you connect
*now* (vs. 2 days *or* 10 minutes ago!). It's the
epitome of forced updates (annoying when one of your PC
apps "changes" due to an upgrade -- esp if you can't
refuse the upgrade; web services don't even warn you that
there is/was an upgrade!)

> What's the deal? It seems like a huge step backwards to me.

It's hard to design in a "generic" environment. Esp if
you want to put your own spin on the UX. Layer your own
UI on the target OS and develop for that, instead.

(Why don't desktop developers design apps to run directly on
the X intrinsics?)