From Sharp minds come... pointed heads. -- Bryan Sparrowhawk

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Many a boy got his first English racer here

SubjectAuthor
* Many a boy got his first English racer hereWilliam Crowell
+- Re: Many a boy got his first English racer hereCatrike Rider
`* Re: Many a boy got his first English racer hereTom Kunich
 +* Re: Many a boy got his first English racer hereRoger Meriman
 |`* Re: Many a boy got his first English racer hereTom Kunich
 | `* Re: Many a boy got his first English racer hereRoger Meriman
 |  `* Re: Many a boy got his first English racer hereTom Kunich
 |   `* Re: Many a boy got his first English racer hereAMuzi
 |    +- Re: Many a boy got his first English racer hereCatrike Rider
 |    `- Re: Many a boy got his first English racer hereTom Kunich
 `- Re: Many a boy got his first English racer hereAndre Jute

1
Many a boy got his first English racer here

<aac1bc89-bf36-4a2c-af23-f2e934b5c398n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=87151&group=rec.bicycles.tech#87151

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2023 06:23:28 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Many a boy got his first English racer here
From: retroguy...@gmail.com (William Crowell)
 by: William Crowell - Sat, 22 Jul 2023 13:23 UTC

A couple of Pay Less Drugs (predecessor to the big-box store) ads from the Oakland Tribune in 1954. They were selling Hopper and Vulcan bikes for about $35.00. Sears and Montgomery Wards charged about $10 or $15 more for their similar captive-brand bikes. Most of these bikes came from England, but some came from Austria and maybe other countries. But when Schwinn complained so piteously, Old Ike put the kibosh on these low prices by imposing a 50% import duty. I found these bikes to be very durable.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19x6WWWDFmFa5v_NF__ODikkgxMjUSbAX/view?usp=drive_link

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mZCdv87kJW7Wp49vVsWwb5EyOdW-Z8ys/view?usp=sharing

Re: Many a boy got his first English racer here

<pknnbi96759oi3phf7sl28pk9l4lepuk52@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=87152&group=rec.bicycles.tech#87152

From: solo...@drafting.not (Catrike Rider)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Many a boy got his first English racer here
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2023 09:54:44 -0400
 by: Catrike Rider - Sat, 22 Jul 2023 13:54 UTC

On Sat, 22 Jul 2023 06:23:28 -0700 (PDT), William Crowell
<retroguybilly@gmail.com> wrote:

>A couple of Pay Less Drugs (predecessor to the big-box store) ads from the Oakland Tribune in 1954. They were selling Hopper and Vulcan bikes for about $35.00. Sears and Montgomery Wards charged about $10 or $15 more for their similar captive-brand bikes. Most of these bikes came from England, but some came from Austria and maybe other countries. But when Schwinn complained so piteously, Old Ike put the kibosh on these low prices by imposing a 50% import duty. I found these bikes to be very durable.
>
>https://drive.google.com/file/d/19x6WWWDFmFa5v_NF__ODikkgxMjUSbAX/view?usp=drive_link
>
>https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mZCdv87kJW7Wp49vVsWwb5EyOdW-Z8ys/view?usp=sharing

Interesting history... The mercury switch ad reminded me of when I
was a young college student building model race cars to race at a
local slot car track establishment, I used mercury switches to
facilitate "brake lights," which baffled all the other "racers."

Re: Many a boy got his first English racer here

<73918323-eed4-4185-9590-991bf8c8ac85n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=87179&group=rec.bicycles.tech#87179

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2023 13:37:16 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Sat, 22 Jul 2023 20:37 UTC

On Saturday, July 22, 2023 at 6:23:30 AM UTC-7, William Crowell wrote:
> A couple of Pay Less Drugs (predecessor to the big-box store) ads from the Oakland Tribune in 1954. They were selling Hopper and Vulcan bikes for about $35.00. Sears and Montgomery Wards charged about $10 or $15 more for their similar captive-brand bikes. Most of these bikes came from England, but some came from Austria and maybe other countries. But when Schwinn complained so piteously, Old Ike put the kibosh on these low prices by imposing a 50% import duty. I found these bikes to be very durable.
>
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/19x6WWWDFmFa5v_NF__ODikkgxMjUSbAX/view?usp=drive_link
>
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mZCdv87kJW7Wp49vVsWwb5EyOdW-Z8ys/view?usp=sharing

Bill, after the war, US unions put in minimum wage laws so European bikes could out compete US companies. Ike did many things that most people didn't understand. Take for instance, the US interstate highway system. Ike didn't build that for your automobile - he had just finished having huge problems in a war with transportation and the highway system was designed to move troops and weapons rapidly to any possible front. Eisenhower was disgusted to discover that our government was a bigger threat to our country than any foreign enemies.

Re: Many a boy got his first English racer here

<FhXuM.163869$9wY2.107474@fx06.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=87181&group=rec.bicycles.tech#87181

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
From: rog...@sarlet.com (Roger Meriman)
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2023 20:49:41 GMT
 by: Roger Meriman - Sat, 22 Jul 2023 20:49 UTC

Tom Kunich <cyclintom@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Saturday, July 22, 2023 at 6:23:30 AM UTC-7, William Crowell wrote:
>> A couple of Pay Less Drugs (predecessor to the big-box store) ads from
>> the Oakland Tribune in 1954. They were selling Hopper and Vulcan bikes
>> for about $35.00. Sears and Montgomery Wards charged about $10 or $15
>> more for their similar captive-brand bikes. Most of these bikes came
>> from England, but some came from Austria and maybe other countries. But
>> when Schwinn complained so piteously, Old Ike put the kibosh on these
>> low prices by imposing a 50% import duty. I found these bikes to be very durable.
>>
>> https://drive.google.com/file/d/19x6WWWDFmFa5v_NF__ODikkgxMjUSbAX/view?usp=drive_link
>>
>> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mZCdv87kJW7Wp49vVsWwb5EyOdW-Z8ys/view?usp=sharing
>
> Bill, after the war, US unions put in minimum wage laws so European bikes
> could out compete US companies. Ike did many things that most people
> didn't understand. Take for instance, the US interstate highway system.
> Ike didn't build that for your automobile - he had just finished having
> huge problems in a war with transportation and the highway system was
> designed to move troops and weapons rapidly to any possible front.
> Eisenhower was disgusted to discover that our government was a bigger
> threat to our country than any foreign enemies.

USA had its minimum wage pre war ie 1933 and 1938 though China might
disagree about pre war to be honest!

And if English racers uk has had minimum wages at least in some industries
since 1909 by Winston Churchill who as ever is a complicated man!

I had a older road bike probably Dawes when I first moved to london, pre
then only used MTB’s a bit heavy though quite stable, fairly awful brakes
being single pivots which I replaced with dual pivots which made a world of
difference, about as good as rim brakes got really.

Kinda miss that bike but I have no use or need of it!

Roger Merriman

Re: Many a boy got his first English racer here

<46baa5e7-dfb7-44ea-8b1c-92c999306364n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=87185&group=rec.bicycles.tech#87185

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2023 14:30:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Sat, 22 Jul 2023 21:30 UTC

On Saturday, July 22, 2023 at 1:49:45 PM UTC-7, Roger Meriman wrote:
> Tom Kunich <cycl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Saturday, July 22, 2023 at 6:23:30 AM UTC-7, William Crowell wrote:
> >> A couple of Pay Less Drugs (predecessor to the big-box store) ads from
> >> the Oakland Tribune in 1954. They were selling Hopper and Vulcan bikes
> >> for about $35.00. Sears and Montgomery Wards charged about $10 or $15
> >> more for their similar captive-brand bikes. Most of these bikes came
> >> from England, but some came from Austria and maybe other countries. But
> >> when Schwinn complained so piteously, Old Ike put the kibosh on these
> >> low prices by imposing a 50% import duty. I found these bikes to be very durable.
> >>
> >> https://drive.google.com/file/d/19x6WWWDFmFa5v_NF__ODikkgxMjUSbAX/view?usp=drive_link
> >>
> >> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mZCdv87kJW7Wp49vVsWwb5EyOdW-Z8ys/view?usp=sharing
> >
> > Bill, after the war, US unions put in minimum wage laws so European bikes
> > could out compete US companies. Ike did many things that most people
> > didn't understand. Take for instance, the US interstate highway system.
> > Ike didn't build that for your automobile - he had just finished having
> > huge problems in a war with transportation and the highway system was
> > designed to move troops and weapons rapidly to any possible front.
> > Eisenhower was disgusted to discover that our government was a bigger
> > threat to our country than any foreign enemies.
> >
> USA had its minimum wage pre war ie 1933 and 1938 though China might
> disagree about pre war to be honest!
>
> And if English racers uk has had minimum wages at least in some industries
> since 1909 by Winston Churchill who as ever is a complicated man!
>
> I had a older road bike probably Dawes when I first moved to london, pre
> then only used MTB’s a bit heavy though quite stable, fairly awful brakes
> being single pivots which I replaced with dual pivots which made a world of
> difference, about as good as rim brakes got really.
>
> Kinda miss that bike but I have no use or need of it!
>
> Roger Merriman
I have clear memories of being very poor until the Railroad union got a minimum wage. Being as how I was born in '44 any previous minimum wages must have been negligible.

Re: Many a boy got his first English racer here

<7068dff5-63d7-4716-9e10-430e35cd78fcn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=87195&group=rec.bicycles.tech#87195

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2023 15:52:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: fiult...@yahoo.com (Andre Jute)
 by: Andre Jute - Sat, 22 Jul 2023 22:52 UTC

On Saturday, July 22, 2023 at 9:37:18 PM UTC+1, Tom Kunich wrote:
> On Saturday, July 22, 2023 at 6:23:30 AM UTC-7, William Crowell wrote:
> > A couple of Pay Less Drugs (predecessor to the big-box store) ads from the Oakland Tribune in 1954. They were selling Hopper and Vulcan bikes for about $35.00. Sears and Montgomery Wards charged about $10 or $15 more for their similar captive-brand bikes. Most of these bikes came from England, but some came from Austria and maybe other countries. But when Schwinn complained so piteously, Old Ike put the kibosh on these low prices by imposing a 50% import duty. I found these bikes to be very durable.
> >
> > https://drive.google.com/file/d/19x6WWWDFmFa5v_NF__ODikkgxMjUSbAX/view?usp=drive_link
> >
> > https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mZCdv87kJW7Wp49vVsWwb5EyOdW-Z8ys/view?usp=sharing
> Bill, after the war, US unions put in minimum wage laws so European bikes could out compete US companies. Ike did many things that most people didn't understand. Take for instance, the US interstate highway system. Ike didn't build that for your automobile - he had just finished having huge problems in a war with transportation and the highway system was designed to move troops and weapons rapidly to any possible front. Eisenhower was disgusted to discover that our government was a bigger threat to our country than any foreign enemies.

Interesting thread you started here, William.

Good old Ike was such a mess of contradictions (did you know he voted for Al Smith in 1928?), I prefer to say he was a walking, talking fountainhead of unintended benefices. The American highway network was on the one hand the death of the railways and the navigable canals, and on the other the beginnings of runaway American preponderance in everything. You cannot have a hugely successful manufacturing country unless you have proper communications networks, including hard arteries like either railroads or highways.

Here are some hard facts about WW2 when it started in 1939: a very large part of German artillery could not use Hitler's autobahnen, built for the same reason as Eisenhower built his highway network, because they horse-drawn; across the Atlantic, the main, full-updated and highly non-theoretical war-plan of the Army's War Plans Division was for, wait for it, a war against the British, born of the American moral revulsion at colonialism.

Here's another fact: A great-uncle of mine, a hero at Al-Alamein who finished up a general, was in the Long Range Desert (reconnaissance) Group, at one point lying on a dune listening to last battalion of Italian bicycle troops on the southern shore of the Med cycling past in the valley below. I was reminded of this the other day when I read a book called 50 Bicycles That Influenced History (Conran Group publication, arse-about-end rubbish put together by graphic designers around whatever pictures they could find when the correct way is to choose the bicycles first for cause and then get the pictures) and came on a photo of a folding bike issued to parachute commandos. I would like to execute a drop roll on that thing; impale you, most likely.

Andre Jute
Hey, I don't just know interesting facts, it's just that nobody wants to listen to useful facts.

Re: Many a boy got his first English racer here

<wVdvM.93351$euB5.64891@fx05.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=87283&group=rec.bicycles.tech#87283

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
From: rog...@sarlet.com (Roger Meriman)
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2023 18:01:00 GMT
 by: Roger Meriman - Sun, 23 Jul 2023 18:01 UTC

Tom Kunich <cyclintom@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Saturday, July 22, 2023 at 1:49:45 PM UTC-7, Roger Meriman wrote:
>> Tom Kunich <cycl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Bill, after the war, US unions put in minimum wage laws so European bikes
>>> could out compete US companies. Ike did many things that most people
>>> didn't understand. Take for instance, the US interstate highway system.
>>> Ike didn't build that for your automobile - he had just finished having
>>> huge problems in a war with transportation and the highway system was
>>> designed to move troops and weapons rapidly to any possible front.
>>> Eisenhower was disgusted to discover that our government was a bigger
>>> threat to our country than any foreign enemies.
>>>
>> USA had its minimum wage pre war ie 1933 and 1938 though China might
>> disagree about pre war to be honest!
>>
>> And if English racers uk has had minimum wages at least in some industries
>> since 1909 by Winston Churchill who as ever is a complicated man!
>>
>> I had a older road bike probably Dawes when I first moved to london, pre
>> then only used MTB’s a bit heavy though quite stable, fairly awful brakes
>> being single pivots which I replaced with dual pivots which made a world of
>> difference, about as good as rim brakes got really.
>>
>> Kinda miss that bike but I have no use or need of it!
>>
>> Roger Merriman
> I have clear memories of being very poor until the Railroad union got a
> minimum wage. Being as how I was born in '44 any previous minimum wages
> must have been negligible.

Minimum wage is that, ie minimum ie very poorly paid!

Roger Merriman

Re: Many a boy got his first English racer here

<bfa0db14-db98-4b40-9cf9-6a77c7a6905bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=87357&group=rec.bicycles.tech#87357

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2023 07:49:59 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Mon, 24 Jul 2023 14:49 UTC

On Sunday, July 23, 2023 at 11:01:03 AM UTC-7, Roger Meriman wrote:
> Tom Kunich <cycl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> USA had its minimum wage pre war ie 1933 and 1938 though China might
> >> disagree about pre war to be honest!
> >>
> >> And if English racers uk has had minimum wages at least in some industries
> >> since 1909 by Winston Churchill who as ever is a complicated man!
> >>
> >> I had a older road bike probably Dawes when I first moved to london, pre
> >> then only used MTB’s a bit heavy though quite stable, fairly awful brakes
> >> being single pivots which I replaced with dual pivots which made a world of
> >> difference, about as good as rim brakes got really.
> >>
> >> Kinda miss that bike but I have no use or need of it!
> >>
> >> Roger Merriman
> > I have clear memories of being very poor until the Railroad union got a
> > minimum wage. Being as how I was born in '44 any previous minimum wages
> > must have been negligible.
> >
> Minimum wage is that, ie minimum ie very poorly paid!
>
> Roger Merriman

In California, minimum wage is $14/hr. That is why all of the businesses have moved and all that are left are service businesses like grocery stores that people have to use and have to pay any price increases.

Re: Many a boy got his first English racer here

<u9m486$n4gs$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=87364&group=rec.bicycles.tech#87364

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2023 10:10:07 -0500
 by: AMuzi - Mon, 24 Jul 2023 15:10 UTC

On 7/24/2023 9:49 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> On Sunday, July 23, 2023 at 11:01:03 AM UTC-7, Roger Meriman wrote:
>> Tom Kunich <cycl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I have clear memories of being very poor until the Railroad union got a
>>> minimum wage. Being as how I was born in '44 any previous minimum wages
>>> must have been negligible.
>>>
>> Minimum wage is that, ie minimum ie very poorly paid!
>>
>> Roger Merriman
>
> In California, minimum wage is $14/hr. That is why all of the businesses have moved and all that are left are service businesses like grocery stores that people have to use and have to pay any price increases.

Maybe in West Podunk, CA.

Across the bay from you it's $18.07:

https://www.sfexaminer.com/news/the-city/sf-minimum-wage-2023-is-biggest-annual-increase-in-a-decade/article_354d8bc0-1784-11ee-aeb4-1f387da39638.html

Or, in a message to employers, "The beatings will continue
until morale improves".
--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Re: Many a boy got his first English racer here

<7e5tbi540fgo6kd4993b88994e7ho6u1kv@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=87368&group=rec.bicycles.tech#87368

From: solo...@drafting.not (Catrike Rider)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2023 11:17:22 -0400
 by: Catrike Rider - Mon, 24 Jul 2023 15:17 UTC

On Mon, 24 Jul 2023 10:10:07 -0500, AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:

>On 7/24/2023 9:49 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:

>>> Minimum wage is that, ie minimum ie very poorly paid!
>>>
>>> Roger Merriman
>>
>> In California, minimum wage is $14/hr. That is why all of the businesses have moved and all that are left are service businesses like grocery stores that people have to use and have to pay any price increases.
>>

>Maybe in West Podunk, CA.
>
>Across the bay from you it's $18.07:
>
>https://www.sfexaminer.com/news/the-city/sf-minimum-wage-2023-is-biggest-annual-increase-in-a-decade/article_354d8bc0-1784-11ee-aeb4-1f387da39638.html
>

>Or, in a message to employers, "The beatings will continue
>until morale improves".

I have that shirt....

Re: Many a boy got his first English racer here

<0f98eac4-0918-4402-bd83-5f97785d7ab6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=87375&group=rec.bicycles.tech#87375

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2023 09:36:59 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Mon, 24 Jul 2023 16:36 UTC

On Monday, July 24, 2023 at 8:10:02 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
> On 7/24/2023 9:49 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:

> >> Minimum wage is that, ie minimum ie very poorly paid!
> >>
> >> Roger Merriman
> >
> > In California, minimum wage is $14/hr. That is why all of the businesses have moved and all that are left are service businesses like grocery stores that people have to use and have to pay any price increases.
> >
> Maybe in West Podunk, CA.
>
> Across the bay from you it's $18.07:
>
> https://www.sfexaminer.com/news/the-city/sf-minimum-wage-2023-is-biggest-annual-increase-in-a-decade/article_354d8bc0-1784-11ee-aeb4-1f387da39638.html
>

> Or, in a message to employers, "The beatings will continue
> until morale improves".
> --
> Andrew Muzi
> <www.yellowjersey.org/>
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971
There is the state minimum wage. Cities are welcome to institute any minimum wage they like. San Francisco lost ALL of their hourly jobs because of that. The financial district is operating on annual wages and the like and they are STILL leaving San Francisco for Marin County as my present financial councilor did. Also my previous Morgan Stanley advisor moved to Hayward that doesn't have a minimum wage law so they are "merely" paying the state minimum wage.

Because of this preposterous minimum wages, restaurants only employ waiters and waitresses the bare minimum amount of hours so I tip very heavily. I am always treated well when I enter these places.

But the negative part of this is that too many people expect something for nothing. Making a passable days wage for minimum hours and someone like me tipping them up to the next level probably is a bad idea.

I was always the first one to work and the last one to leave. I only see that among actual business owners now. And there are progressively fewer and fewer owners because the Democrat government is so anti-business.