I have a very small mind and must live with it. -- E. Dijkstra

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Full Time Power

SubjectAuthor
* Full Time PowerTom Kunich
`* Re: Full Time PowerLou Holtman
 +* Re: Full Time PowerTom Kunich
 |`- Re: Full Time PowerAndre Jute
 `- Re: Full Time Powerfunkma...@hotmail.com

1
Full Time Power

<fbb07881-9361-494e-bce2-d9d288a5752en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=87376&group=rec.bicycles.tech#87376

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2023 09:50:01 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Full Time Power
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Mon, 24 Jul 2023 16:50 UTC

I don't know where it came from but FTP is measure in 20 minute bites. Pros do not train for that as such anymore. They have power measurement devices in their cranks or hubs. This leads to a training protocol that builds long term power rather than a 20 minute segment.

This year the Tour was a climbers dream and so Vindegaard and Pogecar were very closely matched with Vindegaard having slightly more full time power and Pogecar more sprint output. This meant that Pogacar had to be more miserly with his strength than he was being. A good strategy was keeping the pace so high that Pogacar ran out of energy and that is what happened. Better tactics are what remained for Pogecar and that is what finally brought him back to normal total defeat. Next Tour will probably be a sprinter tour and Pogecar is better at that than Vindegaard so it will be interesting to see what happens there when the strengths of climbers isn't so important.

Re: Full Time Power

<d0188b8e-a0aa-43bd-acb4-5005e2c48d47n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=87378&group=rec.bicycles.tech#87378

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2023 10:08:11 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Full Time Power
From: lou.holt...@gmail.com (Lou Holtman)
 by: Lou Holtman - Mon, 24 Jul 2023 17:08 UTC

On Monday, July 24, 2023 at 6:50:03 PM UTC+2, Tom Kunich wrote:
> I don't know where it came from but FTP is measure in 20 minute bites. Pros do not train for that as such anymore. They have power measurement devices in their cranks or hubs. This leads to a training protocol that builds long term power rather than a 20 minute segment.
>
> This year the Tour was a climbers dream and so Vindegaard and Pogecar were very closely matched with Vindegaard having slightly more full time power and Pogecar more sprint output. This meant that Pogacar had to be more miserly with his strength than he was being. A good strategy was keeping the pace so high that Pogacar ran out of energy and that is what happened. Better tactics are what remained for Pogecar and that is what finally brought him back to normal total defeat. Next Tour will probably be a sprinter tour and Pogecar is better at that than Vindegaard so it will be interesting to see what happens there when the strengths of climbers isn't so important.

FTP is defined as the maximum power you can sustain for an hour. This is a measure for your fitness and the test is done regularly. Since this is a very hard test they came up with a 20 minutes shorter version and divide the result with a certain factor to translate it to the one hour test.

Please make a sticky note on your desktop where you write down the correct spelling of Pogačar and Vingegaard so you can copy paste their name in your following posts. Mispelling peoples name again and again is a sign of disrespect for the people concerned IMHO.

Lou

Re: Full Time Power

<dbdb86f9-6afc-4731-8873-03d5c2f68aeen@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=87380&group=rec.bicycles.tech#87380

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2023 10:32:07 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Mon, 24 Jul 2023 17:32 UTC

On Monday, July 24, 2023 at 10:08:13 AM UTC-7, Lou Holtman wrote:
> On Monday, July 24, 2023 at 6:50:03 PM UTC+2, Tom Kunich wrote:
> > I don't know where it came from but FTP is measure in 20 minute bites. Pros do not train for that as such anymore. They have power measurement devices in their cranks or hubs. This leads to a training protocol that builds long term power rather than a 20 minute segment.
> >
> > This year the Tour was a climbers dream and so Vindegaard and Pogecar were very closely matched with Vindegaard having slightly more full time power and Pogecar more sprint output. This meant that Pogacar had to be more miserly with his strength than he was being. A good strategy was keeping the pace so high that Pogacar ran out of energy and that is what happened. Better tactics are what remained for Pogecar and that is what finally brought him back to normal total defeat. Next Tour will probably be a sprinter tour and Pogecar is better at that than Vindegaard so it will be interesting to see what happens there when the strengths of climbers isn't so important.
> FTP is defined as the maximum power you can sustain for an hour. This is a measure for your fitness and the test is done regularly. Since this is a very hard test they came up with a 20 minutes shorter version and divide the result with a certain factor to translate it to the one hour test.
>
> Please make a sticky note on your desktop where you write down the correct spelling of Pogačar and Vingegaard so you can copy paste their name in your following posts. Mispelling peoples name again and again is a sign of disrespect for the people concerned IMHO.
>
> Lou

What was that Mr. Boltman?

Re: Full Time Power

<07df7fb3-d87d-46d5-87ed-d6009ce421d9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=87385&group=rec.bicycles.tech#87385

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2023 15:31:36 -0700 (PDT)
From: fiult...@yahoo.com (Andre Jute)
 by: Andre Jute - Mon, 24 Jul 2023 22:31 UTC

On Monday, July 24, 2023 at 6:32:09 PM UTC+1, Tom Kunich wrote:
> On Monday, July 24, 2023 at 10:08:13 AM UTC-7, Lou Holtman wrote:
> > On Monday, July 24, 2023 at 6:50:03 PM UTC+2, Tom Kunich wrote:
> > > I don't know where it came from but FTP is measure in 20 minute bites.. Pros do not train for that as such anymore. They have power measurement devices in their cranks or hubs. This leads to a training protocol that builds long term power rather than a 20 minute segment.
> > >
> > > This year the Tour was a climbers dream and so Vindegaard and Pogecar were very closely matched with Vindegaard having slightly more full time power and Pogecar more sprint output. This meant that Pogacar had to be more miserly with his strength than he was being. A good strategy was keeping the pace so high that Pogacar ran out of energy and that is what happened. Better tactics are what remained for Pogecar and that is what finally brought him back to normal total defeat. Next Tour will probably be a sprinter tour and Pogecar is better at that than Vindegaard so it will be interesting to see what happens there when the strengths of climbers isn't so important..
> > FTP is defined as the maximum power you can sustain for an hour. This is a measure for your fitness and the test is done regularly. Since this is a very hard test they came up with a 20 minutes shorter version and divide the result with a certain factor to translate it to the one hour test.
> >
> > Please make a sticky note on your desktop where you write down the correct spelling of Pogačar and Vingegaard so you can copy paste their name in your following posts. Mispelling peoples name again and again is a sign of disrespect for the people concerned IMHO.
> >
> > Lou
> What was that Mr. Boltman

Touche, Mister Tom!

-- AJ

Re: Full Time Power

<5aef844b-8fdc-4b6a-ab33-29c3e4207387n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=87479&group=rec.bicycles.tech#87479

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2023 11:56:05 -0700 (PDT)
From: funkmast...@hotmail.com (funkma...@hotmail.com)
 by: funkma...@hotmail.co - Wed, 26 Jul 2023 18:56 UTC

On Monday, July 24, 2023 at 1:08:13 PM UTC-4, Lou Holtman wrote:
> On Monday, July 24, 2023 at 6:50:03 PM UTC+2, Tom Kunich wrote:
> > I don't know where it came from but FTP is measure in 20 minute bites. Pros do not train for that as such anymore. They have power measurement devices in their cranks or hubs. This leads to a training protocol that builds long term power rather than a 20 minute segment.
> >
> > This year the Tour was a climbers dream and so Vindegaard and Pogecar were very closely matched with Vindegaard having slightly more full time power and Pogecar more sprint output. This meant that Pogacar had to be more miserly with his strength than he was being. A good strategy was keeping the pace so high that Pogacar ran out of energy and that is what happened. Better tactics are what remained for Pogecar and that is what finally brought him back to normal total defeat. Next Tour will probably be a sprinter tour and Pogecar is better at that than Vindegaard so it will be interesting to see what happens there when the strengths of climbers isn't so important.
> FTP is defined as the maximum power you can sustain for an hour. This is a measure for your fitness and the test is done regularly. Since this is a very hard test they came up with a 20 minutes shorter version and divide the result with a certain factor to translate it to the one hour test.
>
> Please make a sticky note on your desktop where you write down the correct spelling of Pogačar and Vingegaard so you can copy paste their name in your following posts. Mispelling peoples name again and again is a sign of disrespect for the people concerned IMHO.

His zeal to engage in willful stupidity is astounding.