"You'll pay to know what you really think." -- J. R. "Bob" Dobbs

tech / sci.math / platonic solids, surface equal to volume

SubjectAuthor
* platonic solids, surface equal to volumesobriquet
`* Re: platonic solids, surface equal to volumeLeon Aigret
 +- Re: platonic solids, surface equal to volumesobriquet
 `* Re: platonic solids, surface equal to volumesobriquet
  +* Re: platonic solids, surface equal to volumesobriquet
  |`* Re: platonic solids, surface equal to volumeLeon Aigret
  | `* Re: platonic solids, surface equal to volumesobriquet
  |  +* Re: platonic solids, surface equal to volumesobriquet
  |  |`* Re: platonic solids, surface equal to volumeMike Terry
  |  | +- Re: platonic solids, surface equal to volumesobriquet
  |  | `* Re: platonic solids, surface equal to volumeMike Terry
  |  |  `- Re: platonic solids, surface equal to volumesobriquet
  |  `* Re: platonic solids, surface equal to volumeMike Terry
  |   `- Re: platonic solids, surface equal to volumesobriquet
  `* Re: platonic solids, surface equal to volumeIan Gay
   +- Re: platonic solids, surface equal to volumemitchr...@gmail.com
   `* Re: platonic solids, surface equal to volumesobriquet
    `- Re: platonic solids, surface equal to volumemichael Rodriguez

1
platonic solids, surface equal to volume

<c796f7b2-4ba5-47c7-b04c-45577d5b1cdan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=87578&group=sci.math#87578

Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2022 15:57:49 -0800 (PST)
Subject: platonic solids, surface equal to volume
From: dohduh...@yahoo.com (sobriquet)
 by: sobriquet - Sat, 8 Jan 2022 23:57 UTC

For a circle of radius 2, the outline equals the area enclosed by that outline.
For any regular polygon with sides 3, 4, 5, 6, ... that this circle inscribes,
the outline of the polygon also equals the area enclosed by that outline.

For a sphere of radius 3, the surface area of the sphere equals the volume
enclosed by that surface area. Does that give us any reason to assume
that a platonic solid inscribed by that sphere also has this property
(the surface area being equal to the volume enclosed by that area)?

Re: platonic solids, surface equal to volume

<e22rtgl2utf4o4bj980f0sgedj9nol0s22@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=87833&group=sci.math#87833

From: aig...@address.invalid (Leon Aigret)
Newsgroups: sci.math
Subject: Re: platonic solids, surface equal to volume
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2022 14:59:22 +0100
 by: Leon Aigret - Tue, 11 Jan 2022 13:59 UTC

On Sat, 8 Jan 2022 15:57:49 -0800 (PST), sobriquet
<dohduhdah@yahoo.com> wrote:

>For a circle of radius 2, the outline equals the area enclosed by that outline.
>For any regular polygon with sides 3, 4, 5, 6, ... that this circle inscribes,
>the outline of the polygon also equals the area enclosed by that outline.

Any polygon with each side tangent to the circle can be divided into
triangles by adding lines from its vertices to the centre of the
circle. With the sides of the polygon as base the height of the
triangles equals the radius of the circle.

>For a sphere of radius 3, the surface area of the sphere equals the volume
>enclosed by that surface area. Does that give us any reason to assume
>that a platonic solid inscribed by that sphere also has this property
>(the surface area being equal to the volume enclosed by that area)?

Similar to the 2-dimensional case, the solid polyhedron can be divided
into pyramids with the sphere's centre as top. Then the volume of each
pyramid is 1/3 * height * face area.

Re: platonic solids, surface equal to volume

<d6b05413-9411-42c1-a84b-7227db5313a8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=87849&group=sci.math#87849

Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2022 09:43:16 -0800 (PST)
From: dohduh...@yahoo.com (sobriquet)
 by: sobriquet - Tue, 11 Jan 2022 17:43 UTC

https://www.desmos.com/calculator/uwankdkqwp

> >For a sphere of radius 3, the surface area of the sphere equals the volume
> >enclosed by that surface area. Does that give us any reason to assume
> >that a platonic solid inscribed by that sphere also has this property
> >(the surface area being equal to the volume enclosed by that area)?
> Similar to the 2-dimensional case, the solid polyhedron can be divided
> into pyramids with the sphere's centre as top. Then the volume of each
> pyramid is 1/3 * height * face area.

I guess this should be possible to work out with Geogebra instead of desmos in 3D..

Re: platonic solids, surface equal to volume

<01ee3bc4-32e0-420d-9b81-5da4e3914710n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=87858&group=sci.math#87858

Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2022 10:46:24 -0800 (PST)
From: dohduh...@yahoo.com (sobriquet)
 by: sobriquet - Tue, 11 Jan 2022 18:46 UTC

On Tuesday, January 11, 2022 at 2:59:28 PM UTC+1, Leon Aigret wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Jan 2022 15:57:49 -0800 (PST), sobriquet
> <dohd...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >For a circle of radius 2, the outline equals the area enclosed by that outline.
> >For any regular polygon with sides 3, 4, 5, 6, ... that this circle inscribes,
> >the outline of the polygon also equals the area enclosed by that outline.
> Any polygon with each side tangent to the circle can be divided into
> triangles by adding lines from its vertices to the centre of the
> circle. With the sides of the polygon as base the height of the
> triangles equals the radius of the circle.
> >For a sphere of radius 3, the surface area of the sphere equals the volume
> >enclosed by that surface area. Does that give us any reason to assume
> >that a platonic solid inscribed by that sphere also has this property
> >(the surface area being equal to the volume enclosed by that area)?
> Similar to the 2-dimensional case, the solid polyhedron can be divided
> into pyramids with the sphere's centre as top. Then the volume of each
> pyramid is 1/3 * height * face area.

The argument does make sense though for the 3D case.. so it should hold for
any polygonal shape tangentially centered on a sphere with radius three,
such that these polygonal shapes collectively make up some volume in
3D, like in case of a snub dodacahedron (where there are multiple
polygonal face shapes rather than a single polygonal face shape in the
case of a platonic solid).

https://www.geogebra.org/m/zv2tYKxZ

Re: platonic solids, surface equal to volume

<318c384f-9dcc-43e0-936a-aba7cb3c4efdn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=87862&group=sci.math#87862

Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2022 11:09:42 -0800 (PST)
From: dohduh...@yahoo.com (sobriquet)
 by: sobriquet - Tue, 11 Jan 2022 19:09 UTC

On Tuesday, January 11, 2022 at 7:46:30 PM UTC+1, sobriquet wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 11, 2022 at 2:59:28 PM UTC+1, Leon Aigret wrote:
> > On Sat, 8 Jan 2022 15:57:49 -0800 (PST), sobriquet
> > <dohd...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > >For a circle of radius 2, the outline equals the area enclosed by that outline.
> > >For any regular polygon with sides 3, 4, 5, 6, ... that this circle inscribes,
> > >the outline of the polygon also equals the area enclosed by that outline.
> > Any polygon with each side tangent to the circle can be divided into
> > triangles by adding lines from its vertices to the centre of the
> > circle. With the sides of the polygon as base the height of the
> > triangles equals the radius of the circle.
> > >For a sphere of radius 3, the surface area of the sphere equals the volume
> > >enclosed by that surface area. Does that give us any reason to assume
> > >that a platonic solid inscribed by that sphere also has this property
> > >(the surface area being equal to the volume enclosed by that area)?
> > Similar to the 2-dimensional case, the solid polyhedron can be divided
> > into pyramids with the sphere's centre as top. Then the volume of each
> > pyramid is 1/3 * height * face area.
> The argument does make sense though for the 3D case.. so it should hold for
> any polygonal shape tangentially centered on a sphere with radius three,
> such that these polygonal shapes collectively make up some volume in
> 3D, like in case of a snub dodacahedron (where there are multiple
> polygonal face shapes rather than a single polygonal face shape in the
> case of a platonic solid).
>
> https://www.geogebra.org/m/zv2tYKxZ

Oh wait, maybe not, I guess the distance from the origin to the center of the faces
will not be equal in case the faces have different (but regular) shapes.
So I guess it would only work for the platonic solids.

Re: platonic solids, surface equal to volume

<454stg5bce2pdmsjcls05aqh3ftho6qbat@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=87885&group=sci.math#87885

From: aig...@address.invalid (Leon Aigret)
Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2022 00:24:26 +0100
 by: Leon Aigret - Tue, 11 Jan 2022 23:24 UTC

On Tue, 11 Jan 2022 11:09:42 -0800 (PST), sobriquet
<dohduhdah@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Tuesday, January 11, 2022 at 7:46:30 PM UTC+1, sobriquet wrote:
>> On Tuesday, January 11, 2022 at 2:59:28 PM UTC+1, Leon Aigret wrote:

>> > Any polygon with each side tangent to the circle can be divided into
>> > triangles by adding lines from its vertices to the centre of the
>> > circle. With the sides of the polygon as base the height of the
>> > triangles equals the radius of the circle.
>> > Similar to the 2-dimensional case, the solid polyhedron can be divided
>> > into pyramids with the sphere's centre as top. Then the volume of each
>> > pyramid is 1/3 * height * face area.
>> The argument does make sense though for the 3D case.. so it should hold for
>> any polygonal shape tangentially centered on a sphere with radius three,
>> such that these polygonal shapes collectively make up some volume in
>> 3D, like in case of a snub dodacahedron (where there are multiple
>> polygonal face shapes rather than a single polygonal face shape in the
>> case of a platonic solid).
>>
>> https://www.geogebra.org/m/zv2tYKxZ
>
>Oh wait, maybe not, I guess the distance from the origin to the center of the faces
>will not be equal in case the faces have different (but regular) shapes.
>So I guess it would only work for the platonic solids.

The line from the sphere's centre to the tangent point is
perpendicular to the sphere at that point, so it is also perpendicular
to the face.

Re: platonic solids, surface equal to volume

<19f08638-abd5-4fe6-9e45-cd91207b6431n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=87888&group=sci.math#87888

Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2022 16:10:53 -0800 (PST)
From: dohduh...@yahoo.com (sobriquet)
 by: sobriquet - Wed, 12 Jan 2022 00:10 UTC

On Wednesday, January 12, 2022 at 12:24:31 AM UTC+1, Leon Aigret wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Jan 2022 11:09:42 -0800 (PST), sobriquet
> <dohd...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> >> The argument does make sense though for the 3D case.. so it should hold for
> >> any polygonal shape tangentially centered on a sphere with radius three,
> >> such that these polygonal shapes collectively make up some volume in
> >> 3D, like in case of a snub dodacahedron (where there are multiple
> >> polygonal face shapes rather than a single polygonal face shape in the
> >> case of a platonic solid).
> >>
> >> https://www.geogebra.org/m/zv2tYKxZ
> >
> >Oh wait, maybe not, I guess the distance from the origin to the center of the faces
> >will not be equal in case the faces have different (but regular) shapes.
> >So I guess it would only work for the platonic solids.
> The line from the sphere's centre to the tangent point is
> perpendicular to the sphere at that point, so it is also perpendicular
> to the face.

Sure, but in 2D it's obviously not working if the sides are not all the same length, so
I don't see how it could be working in 3D.
https://www.desmos.com/calculator/oxrlmp99fn

Can you have two or more different regular polygon shapes that make up a volume such that
the centers of each of these polygons are all equidistant from the origin?

Re: platonic solids, surface equal to volume

<f073a864-440b-418d-9845-4af844ef1b5an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=87889&group=sci.math#87889

Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2022 16:21:10 -0800 (PST)
From: dohduh...@yahoo.com (sobriquet)
 by: sobriquet - Wed, 12 Jan 2022 00:21 UTC

On Wednesday, January 12, 2022 at 1:10:59 AM UTC+1, sobriquet wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 12, 2022 at 12:24:31 AM UTC+1, Leon Aigret wrote:
> > On Tue, 11 Jan 2022 11:09:42 -0800 (PST), sobriquet
> > <dohd...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > >Oh wait, maybe not, I guess the distance from the origin to the center of the faces
> > >will not be equal in case the faces have different (but regular) shapes.
> > >So I guess it would only work for the platonic solids.
> > The line from the sphere's centre to the tangent point is
> > perpendicular to the sphere at that point, so it is also perpendicular
> > to the face.
> Sure, but in 2D it's obviously not working if the sides are not all the same length, so
> I don't see how it could be working in 3D.
> https://www.desmos.com/calculator/oxrlmp99fn

https://www.desmos.com/calculator/mgeihlxc4s
There is no circle going through the red points (the midpoints of faces of an irregular
polygon).

> Can you have two or more different regular polygon shapes that make up a volume such that
> the centers of each of these polygons are all equidistant from the origin?

Re: platonic solids, surface equal to volume

<srl76u$1qb7$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=87890&group=sci.math#87890

From: news.dea...@darjeeling.plus.com (Mike Terry)
Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2022 00:26:06 +0000
 by: Mike Terry - Wed, 12 Jan 2022 00:26 UTC

On 12/01/2022 00:10, sobriquet wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 12, 2022 at 12:24:31 AM UTC+1, Leon Aigret wrote:
>> On Tue, 11 Jan 2022 11:09:42 -0800 (PST), sobriquet
>> <dohd...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> Oh wait, maybe not, I guess the distance from the origin to the center of the faces
>>> will not be equal in case the faces have different (but regular) shapes.
>>> So I guess it would only work for the platonic solids.
>> The line from the sphere's centre to the tangent point is
>> perpendicular to the sphere at that point, so it is also perpendicular
>> to the face.
>
> Sure, but in 2D it's obviously not working if the sides are not all the same length, so
> I don't see how it could be working in 3D.
> https://www.desmos.com/calculator/oxrlmp99fn

No, it works for such polygons just the same. I don't get what the desmos link is supposed to show
- the polygon in demo is /inside/ the circle! (It needs to be outside...)

Mike.

> Can you have two or more different regular polygon shapes that make up a volume such that
> the centers of each of these polygons are all equidistant from the origin?

Re: platonic solids, surface equal to volume

<srl7d0$1se9$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=87891&group=sci.math#87891

From: news.dea...@darjeeling.plus.com (Mike Terry)
Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2022 00:29:20 +0000
 by: Mike Terry - Wed, 12 Jan 2022 00:29 UTC

On 12/01/2022 00:21, sobriquet wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 12, 2022 at 1:10:59 AM UTC+1, sobriquet wrote:
>> On Wednesday, January 12, 2022 at 12:24:31 AM UTC+1, Leon Aigret wrote:

>>> The line from the sphere's centre to the tangent point is
>>> perpendicular to the sphere at that point, so it is also perpendicular
>>> to the face.
>> Sure, but in 2D it's obviously not working if the sides are not all the same length, so
>> I don't see how it could be working in 3D.
>> https://www.desmos.com/calculator/oxrlmp99fn
>
> https://www.desmos.com/calculator/mgeihlxc4s
> There is no circle going through the red points (the midpoints of faces of an irregular
> polygon).

There isn't required to be any such circle. You need to start with the circle, and draw a bunch of
tangents that together comprise the polygon. (So the circle "inscribes" the polygon - it touches
each of the lines of the polygon.)

>> Can you have two or more different regular polygon shapes that make up a volume such that
>> the centers of each of these polygons are all equidistant from the origin?

Re: platonic solids, surface equal to volume

<6a97eecf-e6bb-4c6c-b45b-c994b3020851n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=87892&group=sci.math#87892

Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2022 16:31:27 -0800 (PST)
From: dohduh...@yahoo.com (sobriquet)
 by: sobriquet - Wed, 12 Jan 2022 00:31 UTC

On Wednesday, January 12, 2022 at 1:26:19 AM UTC+1, Mike Terry wrote:
> On 12/01/2022 00:10, sobriquet wrote:
> > On Wednesday, January 12, 2022 at 12:24:31 AM UTC+1, Leon Aigret wrote:

> >> The line from the sphere's centre to the tangent point is
> >> perpendicular to the sphere at that point, so it is also perpendicular
> >> to the face.
> >
> > Sure, but in 2D it's obviously not working if the sides are not all the same length, so
> > I don't see how it could be working in 3D.
> > https://www.desmos.com/calculator/oxrlmp99fn
> No, it works for such polygons just the same. I don't get what the desmos link is supposed to show
> - the polygon in demo is /inside/ the circle! (It needs to be outside...)
>
> Mike.

Yeah, that's why I posted the follow-up with the midpoints highlighted of an irregular polygon.
Ok, not all irregular convex polygon shapes are represented by random points on a unit circle,
But it already shows that for the vast majority of irregular convex polygon shapes that
can be obtained in this fashion, you will not be able to draw a circle through the midpoints
of the edges of such an irregular polygon.

> > Can you have two or more different regular polygon shapes that make up a volume such that
> > the centers of each of these polygons are all equidistant from the origin?

Re: platonic solids, surface equal to volume

<dcfb034d-0d6f-4324-9a27-250fec8fd960n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=87896&group=sci.math#87896

Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2022 16:43:35 -0800 (PST)
From: dohduh...@yahoo.com (sobriquet)
 by: sobriquet - Wed, 12 Jan 2022 00:43 UTC

On Wednesday, January 12, 2022 at 1:29:29 AM UTC+1, Mike Terry wrote:
> On 12/01/2022 00:21, sobriquet wrote:

> >> Sure, but in 2D it's obviously not working if the sides are not all the same length, so
> >> I don't see how it could be working in 3D.
> >> https://www.desmos.com/calculator/oxrlmp99fn
> >
> > https://www.desmos.com/calculator/mgeihlxc4s
> > There is no circle going through the red points (the midpoints of faces of an irregular
> > polygon).
> >
> There isn't required to be any such circle. You need to start with the circle, and draw a bunch of
> tangents that together comprise the polygon. (So the circle "inscribes" the polygon - it touches
> each of the lines of the polygon.)

Ok, but then the points where the tangents touch the circle will not be the midpoints of the
edges of the irregular polygon.

Re: platonic solids, surface equal to volume

<srl8as$4nm$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=87897&group=sci.math#87897

From: news.dea...@darjeeling.plus.com (Mike Terry)
Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2022 00:45:16 +0000
 by: Mike Terry - Wed, 12 Jan 2022 00:45 UTC

On 12/01/2022 00:29, Mike Terry wrote:
> On 12/01/2022 00:21, sobriquet wrote:

>>> Sure, but in 2D it's obviously not working if the sides are not all the same length, so
>>> I don't see how it could be working in 3D.
>>> https://www.desmos.com/calculator/oxrlmp99fn
>>
>> https://www.desmos.com/calculator/mgeihlxc4s
>> There is no circle going through the red points (the midpoints of faces of an irregular
>> polygon).
>>

> There isn't required to be any such circle.  You need to start with the circle, and draw a bunch of
> tangents that together comprise the polygon.  (So the circle "inscribes" the polygon - it touches
> each of the lines of the polygon. >

...should have added, the point at which the circle touches the lines won't in general be the
midpoints of those lines - that only occurs with the case of a regular polygon.

>>> Can you have two or more different regular polygon shapes that make up a volume such that
>>> the centers of each of these polygons are all equidistant from the origin?

Re: platonic solids, surface equal to volume

<5730de83-4e17-4cad-b6c3-c8665f76769en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=87905&group=sci.math#87905

Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2022 18:30:18 -0800 (PST)
From: dohduh...@yahoo.com (sobriquet)
 by: sobriquet - Wed, 12 Jan 2022 02:30 UTC

On Wednesday, January 12, 2022 at 1:45:28 AM UTC+1, Mike Terry wrote:
> On 12/01/2022 00:29, Mike Terry wrote:

> >> https://www.desmos.com/calculator/mgeihlxc4s
> >> There is no circle going through the red points (the midpoints of faces of an irregular
> >> polygon).
> >>

> > There isn't required to be any such circle. You need to start with the circle, and draw a bunch of
> > tangents that together comprise the polygon. (So the circle "inscribes" the polygon - it touches
> > each of the lines of the polygon. >
> ..should have added, the point at which the circle touches the lines won't in general be the
> midpoints of those lines - that only occurs with the case of a regular polygon.

Ok, my mistake, in case of an irregular polygon inscribed by a circle of radius 2, the
area equals the outline just the same.

https://www.desmos.com/calculator/fxdzbzehsa

Re: platonic solids, surface equal to volume

<srn81u$q6c$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=87977&group=sci.math#87977

From: gay...@sfu.ca (Ian Gay)
Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2022 10:52:46 -0800
 by: Ian Gay - Wed, 12 Jan 2022 18:52 UTC

Numerical comparison of things of different units (length, area) is
nonsense. Is a half dozen eggs equal to 6 miles per hour?

--
*********** To reply by e-mail, make w single in address **************

Re: platonic solids, surface equal to volume

<ce0867b1-5950-4f45-a0a0-6fd00fb20007n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=87984&group=sci.math#87984

Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2022 11:55:47 -0800 (PST)
From: mitchrae...@gmail.com (mitchr...@gmail.com)
 by: mitchr...@gmail.com - Wed, 12 Jan 2022 19:55 UTC

On Wednesday, January 12, 2022 at 10:52:58 AM UTC-8, Ian Gay wrote:
> Numerical comparison of things of different units (length, area) is
> nonsense. Is a half dozen eggs equal to 6 miles per hour?
>

> --
> *********** To reply by e-mail, make w single in address **************

How do you fit a zero point into the infinitesimal fundamental first real...?

Re: platonic solids, surface equal to volume

<8cd946f1-11ca-48be-9047-8e07b481217bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=87991&group=sci.math#87991

Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2022 12:27:46 -0800 (PST)
From: dohduh...@yahoo.com (sobriquet)
 by: sobriquet - Wed, 12 Jan 2022 20:27 UTC

On Wednesday, January 12, 2022 at 7:52:58 PM UTC+1, Ian Gay wrote:
> Numerical comparison of things of different units (length, area) is
> nonsense. Is a half dozen eggs equal to 6 miles per hour?
>

> --
> *********** To reply by e-mail, make w single in address **************

So basically you're saying that knowing the outline of an area to be finite
doesn't allow us to infer that the area enclosed by that outline must be
finite as well?

I only know of examples of finite area enclosed by an infinite outline
(like the Koch snowflake).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koch_snowflake

Re: platonic solids, surface equal to volume

<ecea85a9-2413-4a96-b18c-c2aede8c47e1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=88114&group=sci.math#88114

Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 11:45:55 -0800 (PST)
From: michael....@gmail.com (michael Rodriguez)
 by: michael Rodriguez - Thu, 13 Jan 2022 19:45 UTC

The thread make me remember a particular example in a lesson in Measure Theory.

....but, yeap, dividing the 'volume' by the 'surface' in 'regular polytopes',
and its relationship with the inradius, nearby the present topic...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inscribed_sphere