We have phasers, I vote we blast 'em! -- Bailey, "The Corbomite Maneuver", stardate 1514.2

tech / sci.electronics.design / OT: RAF - Random Astronomical Fact

SubjectAuthor
* OT: RAF - Random Astronomical FactRick C
+- Re: OT: RAF - Random Astronomical FactJohn Robertson
+- Re: OT: RAF - Random Astronomical FactJohann Klammer
`- Re: RAF - Random Astronomical FactTom Del Rosso

1
OT: RAF - Random Astronomical Fact

<b4ed7b8f-6f54-4d35-95ba-2b40632fd605n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=87961&group=sci.electronics.design#87961

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 11:29:07 -0800 (PST)
Subject: OT: RAF - Random Astronomical Fact
From: gnuarm.d...@gmail.com (Rick C)
 by: Rick C - Sun, 16 Jan 2022 19:29 UTC

Distance of Earth from Sun divided by diameter of Sun ~ 108
Diameter of Sun divided by diameter of Earth ~ 108

What are the chances?

I was looking for the diameter of the Earth in AU and found this.

Google seems to sometimes get clogged up when you are searching for wheat that is very much like someone else's chaff. I asked Google on my phone for the ratio of the distance to the Sun in Earth diameters and it insisted on telling me in Sun diameters. Seems that is the much more common question and answer so I literally doesn't understand what I am asking.

I remember someone from Google stating Google search has the intelligence of a 6 year old or something because you could ask who the President is and then ask who "his" wife is and get the right answer. But Google can't understand a simple question and falls back on word matching. I guess six year olds don't know what diameters are either.

--

Rick C.

- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging

Re: OT: RAF - Random Astronomical Fact

<YJudncyy_O3G7nn8nZ2dnUU7-LudnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=87963&group=sci.electronics.design#87963

Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 11:34:50 -0800
Subject: Re: OT: RAF - Random Astronomical Fact
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: spa...@flippers.com (John Robertson)
 by: John Robertson - Sun, 16 Jan 2022 19:34 UTC

On 2022/01/16 11:29 a.m., Rick C wrote:
> Distance of Earth from Sun divided by diameter of Sun ~ 108
> Diameter of Sun divided by diameter of Earth ~ 108
>
> What are the chances?
>
> I was looking for the diameter of the Earth in AU and found this.
>
> Google seems to sometimes get clogged up when you are searching for wheat that is very much like someone else's chaff. I asked Google on my phone for the ratio of the distance to the Sun in Earth diameters and it insisted on telling me in Sun diameters. Seems that is the much more common question and answer so I literally doesn't understand what I am asking.
>
> I remember someone from Google stating Google search has the intelligence of a 6 year old or something because you could ask who the President is and then ask who "his" wife is and get the right answer. But Google can't understand a simple question and falls back on word matching. I guess six year olds don't know what diameters are either.

Out of curiosity, have you tried these distance/diameter ratios for any
other planets with moons? Mars and Jupiter to start with...

John :-#)#

Re: OT: RAF - Random Astronomical Fact

<ss3826$12fl$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=88012&group=sci.electronics.design#88012

From: klamm...@NOSPAM.a1.net (Johann Klammer)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 09:06:20 +0100
 by: Johann Klammer - Mon, 17 Jan 2022 08:06 UTC

On 01/16/2022 08:29 PM, Rick C wrote:
> Distance of Earth from Sun divided by diameter of Sun ~ 108
> Diameter of Sun divided by diameter of Earth ~ 108
>
> What are the chances?
>
> I was looking for the diameter of the Earth in AU and found this.
>
> Google seems to sometimes get clogged up when you are searching for wheat that is very much like someone else's chaff. I asked Google on my phone for the ratio of the distance to the Sun in Earth diameters and it insisted on telling me in Sun diameters. Seems that is the much more common question and answer so I literally doesn't understand what I am asking.
>
> I remember someone from Google stating Google search has the intelligence of a 6 year old or something because you could ask who the President is and then ask who "his" wife is and get the right answer. But Google can't understand a simple question and falls back on word matching. I guess six year olds don't know what diameters are either.

I dunno. It's possible they've changed those algorithms to actively change the query.
Seen similar on RS-components. wanted L9110, which got changed to 09110.

Re: RAF - Random Astronomical Fact

<ss6omi$893$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=88130&group=sci.electronics.design#88130

From: fizzbint...@that-google-mail-domain.com (Tom Del Rosso)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: RAF - Random Astronomical Fact
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 11:08:49 -0500
 by: Tom Del Rosso - Tue, 18 Jan 2022 16:08 UTC

Rick C wrote:
> Distance of Earth from Sun divided by diameter of Sun ~ 108
> Diameter of Sun divided by diameter of Earth ~ 108

Jupiter/Earth is also close to Sun/Jupiter.

--
Defund the Thought Police