"Whip me. Beat me. Make me maintain AIX." (By Stephan Zielinski)

tech / sci.electronics.design / Analog Devices, dirty dealz

SubjectAuthor
* Analog Devices, dirty dealzbitrex
+* Re: Analog Devices, dirty dealzSteve Goldstein
|`* Re: Analog Devices, dirty dealzbitrex
| `- Re: Analog Devices, dirty dealzbitrex
`* Re: Analog Devices, dirty dealzbitrex
 `* Re: Analog Devices, dirty dealzSteve Goldstein
  `* Re: Analog Devices, dirty dealzRick C
   `- Re: Analog Devices, dirty dealzbitrex

1
Analog Devices, dirty dealz

<wy_FJ.314600$aF1.199885@fx98.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=88236&group=sci.electronics.design#88236

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: use...@example.net (bitrex)
Subject: Analog Devices, dirty dealz
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 15:31:24 -0500
 by: bitrex - Wed, 19 Jan 2022 20:31 UTC

<https://whdh.com/news/needham-police-officer-2-others-arrested-in-connection-with-insider-trading-scheme/>

"Beginning in or around June 22, 2016, Forte, an officer with the
Needham Police Department, obtained non-public information from a close
relative who is a senior executive at Analog Devices, Inc., a
Norwood-based semiconductor company, about Analog’s planned acquisition
of Linear Technology Corp., a semiconductor company based in Milpitas,
Calif., according to the attorney’s office.

Forte allegedly passed the information to two close friends, Manning and
Younis, who the attorney’s office says purchased shares of Linear stock
in the week leading up to the public announcement of the acquisition on
July 26, 2016."

The senior execs having lots of "family" in the area (like the Mafia) is
one of the few reasons I can think of that ADI keeps their global HQ in
that dump, anyway. Hey looks like they have a new chair of board as of
today, interesting.

<https://www.analog.com/en/about-adi/news-room/press-releases/2022/1-19-2022-vincent-roche-succeed-ray-stata-chair-of-analog-devices.html>

Re: Analog Devices, dirty dealz

<jsdhuglki06tbmdm6rf17ivl7gddrvapo6@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=88248&group=sci.electronics.design#88248

From: sgold...@alum.mit.edu (Steve Goldstein)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Analog Devices, dirty dealz
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 20:17:09 -0500
 by: Steve Goldstein - Thu, 20 Jan 2022 01:17 UTC

On Wed, 19 Jan 2022 15:31:24 -0500, bitrex <user@example.net> wrote:

><https://whdh.com/news/needham-police-officer-2-others-arrested-in-connection-with-insider-trading-scheme/>
>
>"Beginning in or around June 22, 2016, Forte, an officer with the
>Needham Police Department, obtained non-public information from a close
>relative who is a senior executive at Analog Devices, Inc., a
>Norwood-based semiconductor company, about Analog’s planned acquisition
>of Linear Technology Corp., a semiconductor company based in Milpitas,
>Calif., according to the attorney’s office.
>
>Forte allegedly passed the information to two close friends, Manning and
>Younis, who the attorney’s office says purchased shares of Linear stock
>in the week leading up to the public announcement of the acquisition on
>July 26, 2016."
>
>The senior execs having lots of "family" in the area (like the Mafia) is
>one of the few reasons I can think of that ADI keeps their global HQ in
>that dump, anyway. Hey looks like they have a new chair of board as of
>today, interesting.
>
><https://www.analog.com/en/about-adi/news-room/press-releases/2022/1-19-2022-vincent-roche-succeed-ray-stata-chair-of-analog-devices.html>

It says Roche will become Chairman effective with the annual
shareholders' meeting, which I believe is in March.

Global HQ moved from Norwood to Wilmington in 2020 or 2021, not sure
which, after the fancy new building was completed.

Re: Analog Devices, dirty dealz

<Y03GJ.276617$qz4.251977@fx97.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=88251&group=sci.electronics.design#88251

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: use...@example.net (bitrex)
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 20:36:56 -0500
 by: bitrex - Thu, 20 Jan 2022 01:36 UTC

On 1/19/2022 8:17 PM, Steve Goldstein wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Jan 2022 15:31:24 -0500, bitrex <user@example.net> wrote:
>
>> <https://whdh.com/news/needham-police-officer-2-others-arrested-in-connection-with-insider-trading-scheme/>
>>
>> "Beginning in or around June 22, 2016, Forte, an officer with the
>> Needham Police Department, obtained non-public information from a close
>> relative who is a senior executive at Analog Devices, Inc., a
>> Norwood-based semiconductor company, about Analog’s planned acquisition
>> of Linear Technology Corp., a semiconductor company based in Milpitas,
>> Calif., according to the attorney’s office.
>>
>> Forte allegedly passed the information to two close friends, Manning and
>> Younis, who the attorney’s office says purchased shares of Linear stock
>> in the week leading up to the public announcement of the acquisition on
>> July 26, 2016."
>>
>> The senior execs having lots of "family" in the area (like the Mafia) is
>> one of the few reasons I can think of that ADI keeps their global HQ in
>> that dump, anyway. Hey looks like they have a new chair of board as of
>> today, interesting.
>>
>> <https://www.analog.com/en/about-adi/news-room/press-releases/2022/1-19-2022-vincent-roche-succeed-ray-stata-chair-of-analog-devices.html>
>
> It says Roche will become Chairman effective with the annual
> shareholders' meeting, which I believe is in March.

Yes, seems unlikely to be related. "Senior executive" could mean anything.

> Global HQ moved from Norwood to Wilmington in 2020 or 2021, not sure
> which, after the fancy new building was completed.

I remember reading about the plan years ago but didn't know they'd
actually finished and moved in, I can't easily find a press release
about the completion on the AD site, anyway.

I'm surprised that they kept it in Norwood as long as they did, that
location was seriously outdated.

Re: Analog Devices, dirty dealz

<x53GJ.366884$IW4.219343@fx48.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=88252&group=sci.electronics.design#88252

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: use...@example.net (bitrex)
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 20:41:48 -0500
 by: bitrex - Thu, 20 Jan 2022 01:41 UTC

On 1/19/2022 8:36 PM, bitrex wrote:
> On 1/19/2022 8:17 PM, Steve Goldstein wrote:
>> On Wed, 19 Jan 2022 15:31:24 -0500, bitrex <user@example.net> wrote:
>>
>>> <https://whdh.com/news/needham-police-officer-2-others-arrested-in-connection-with-insider-trading-scheme/>
>>>

>>> "Beginning in or around June 22, 2016, Forte, an officer with the
>>> Needham Police Department, obtained non-public information from a close
>>> relative who is a senior executive at Analog Devices, Inc., a
>>> Norwood-based semiconductor company, about Analog’s planned acquisition
>>> of Linear Technology Corp., a semiconductor company based in Milpitas,
>>> Calif., according to the attorney’s office.
>>>
>>> Forte allegedly passed the information to two close friends, Manning and
>>> Younis, who the attorney’s office says purchased shares of Linear stock
>>> in the week leading up to the public announcement of the acquisition on
>>> July 26, 2016."
>>>
>>> The senior execs having lots of "family" in the area (like the Mafia) is
>>> one of the few reasons I can think of that ADI keeps their global HQ in
>>> that dump, anyway. Hey looks like they have a new chair of board as of
>>> today, interesting.
>>>
>>> <https://www.analog.com/en/about-adi/news-room/press-releases/2022/1-19-2022-vincent-roche-succeed-ray-stata-chair-of-analog-devices.html>
>>>

>> It says Roche will become Chairman effective with the annual
>> shareholders' meeting, which I believe is in March.
>
> Yes, seems unlikely to be related. "Senior executive" could mean anything.
>
>> Global HQ moved from Norwood to Wilmington in 2020 or 2021, not sure
>> which, after the fancy new building was completed.
>
> I remember reading about the plan years ago but didn't know they'd
> actually finished and moved in, I can't easily find a press release
> about the completion on the AD site, anyway.
>
> I'm surprised that they kept it in Norwood as long as they did, that
> location was seriously outdated.

Haven't been up that way in years though so can't say if it's shuttered
or not.

Re: Analog Devices, dirty dealz

<kY5GJ.416$vN.355@fx15.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=88262&group=sci.electronics.design#88262

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: use...@example.net (bitrex)
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 23:56:48 -0500
 by: bitrex - Thu, 20 Jan 2022 04:56 UTC

On 1/19/2022 3:31 PM, bitrex wrote:
> <https://whdh.com/news/needham-police-officer-2-others-arrested-in-connection-with-insider-trading-scheme/>
>

> "Beginning in or around June 22, 2016, Forte, an officer with the
> Needham Police Department, obtained non-public information from a close
> relative who is a senior executive at Analog Devices, Inc., a
> Norwood-based semiconductor company, about Analog’s planned acquisition
> of Linear Technology Corp., a semiconductor company based in Milpitas,
> Calif., according to the attorney’s office.
>
> Forte allegedly passed the information to two close friends, Manning and
> Younis, who the attorney’s office says purchased shares of Linear stock
> in the week leading up to the public announcement of the acquisition on
> July 26, 2016."
>
> The senior execs having lots of "family" in the area (like the Mafia) is
> one of the few reasons I can think of that ADI keeps their global HQ in
> that dump, anyway. Hey looks like they have a new chair of board as of
> today, interesting.
>
> <https://www.analog.com/en/about-adi/news-room/press-releases/2022/1-19-2022-vincent-roche-succeed-ray-stata-chair-of-analog-devices.html>

<https://www.reuters.com/legal/government/police-officer-others-charged-with-insider-trading-related-chipmaker-merger-2022-01-19/>

"Manning and Younis through their trading made $7,979 and nearly $52,000
in profits, respectively. A third person, a demolition company owner who
did business with Younis, made $11,017 based on a trading tip by Younis,
authorities said."

Wow, what a lousy return, I thought someone had made real money.

They must have been really persistent about telling anyone who would
listen about what they did to get anyone to investigate a cop over 52
grand; I expect that type of small-time insider trading happens
a hundred times a day and nobody's the wiser because the participants
know how to shut up

Re: Analog Devices, dirty dealz

<7spiugdl9gqkt9t0teme7hlhli1r1mo461@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=88270&group=sci.electronics.design#88270

From: sgold...@alum.mit.edu (Steve Goldstein)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2022 08:50:36 -0500
 by: Steve Goldstein - Thu, 20 Jan 2022 13:50 UTC

On Wed, 19 Jan 2022 23:56:48 -0500, bitrex <user@example.net> wrote:

>On 1/19/2022 3:31 PM, bitrex wrote:
>> <https://whdh.com/news/needham-police-officer-2-others-arrested-in-connection-with-insider-trading-scheme/>
>>

>> "Beginning in or around June 22, 2016, Forte, an officer with the
>> Needham Police Department, obtained non-public information from a close
>> relative who is a senior executive at Analog Devices, Inc., a
>> Norwood-based semiconductor company, about Analog’s planned acquisition
>> of Linear Technology Corp., a semiconductor company based in Milpitas,
>> Calif., according to the attorney’s office.
>>
>> Forte allegedly passed the information to two close friends, Manning and
>> Younis, who the attorney’s office says purchased shares of Linear stock
>> in the week leading up to the public announcement of the acquisition on
>> July 26, 2016."
>>
>> The senior execs having lots of "family" in the area (like the Mafia) is
>> one of the few reasons I can think of that ADI keeps their global HQ in
>> that dump, anyway. Hey looks like they have a new chair of board as of
>> today, interesting.
>>
>> <https://www.analog.com/en/about-adi/news-room/press-releases/2022/1-19-2022-vincent-roche-succeed-ray-stata-chair-of-analog-devices.html>

><https://www.reuters.com/legal/government/police-officer-others-charged-with-insider-trading-related-chipmaker-merger-2022-01-19/>
>
>"Manning and Younis through their trading made $7,979 and nearly $52,000
>in profits, respectively. A third person, a demolition company owner who
>did business with Younis, made $11,017 based on a trading tip by Younis,
>authorities said."
>
>Wow, what a lousy return, I thought someone had made real money.

It always amazes me how so many people will risk so much for so
little.

>They must have been really persistent about telling anyone who would
>listen about what they did to get anyone to investigate a cop over 52
>grand; I expect that type of small-time insider trading happens
>a hundred times a day and nobody's the wiser because the participants
>know how to shut up

It wouldn't surprise me if the SEC routinely looks at all stock trades
related to takeover announcements. If you've got a person who never
invests in a particular sector, then with remarkable prescience buys
in just before a big price jump, then exits, well, that does perhaps
merit a closer look. I don't know the particulars of this case but as
a retired ADI employee will watch with interest.

Re: Analog Devices, dirty dealz

<b3154e7f-1b69-4a05-a25c-0e48a76a6567n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=88275&group=sci.electronics.design#88275

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2022 08:16:19 -0800 (PST)
From: gnuarm.d...@gmail.com (Rick C)
 by: Rick C - Thu, 20 Jan 2022 16:16 UTC

On Thursday, January 20, 2022 at 8:50:47 AM UTC-5, Steve Goldstein wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Jan 2022 23:56:48 -0500, bitrex <us...@example.net> wrote:
>
> >On 1/19/2022 3:31 PM, bitrex wrote:
> >> <https://whdh.com/news/needham-police-officer-2-others-arrested-in-connection-with-insider-trading-scheme/>
> >>

> >> "Beginning in or around June 22, 2016, Forte, an officer with the
> >> Needham Police Department, obtained non-public information from a close
> >> relative who is a senior executive at Analog Devices, Inc., a
> >> Norwood-based semiconductor company, about Analog’s planned acquisition
> >> of Linear Technology Corp., a semiconductor company based in Milpitas,
> >> Calif., according to the attorney’s office.
> >>
> >> Forte allegedly passed the information to two close friends, Manning and
> >> Younis, who the attorney’s office says purchased shares of Linear stock
> >> in the week leading up to the public announcement of the acquisition on
> >> July 26, 2016."
> >>
> >> The senior execs having lots of "family" in the area (like the Mafia) is
> >> one of the few reasons I can think of that ADI keeps their global HQ in
> >> that dump, anyway. Hey looks like they have a new chair of board as of
> >> today, interesting.
> >>
> >> <https://www.analog.com/en/about-adi/news-room/press-releases/2022/1-19-2022-vincent-roche-succeed-ray-stata-chair-of-analog-devices.html>

> ><https://www.reuters.com/legal/government/police-officer-others-charged-with-insider-trading-related-chipmaker-merger-2022-01-19/>
> >
> >"Manning and Younis through their trading made $7,979 and nearly $52,000
> >in profits, respectively. A third person, a demolition company owner who
> >did business with Younis, made $11,017 based on a trading tip by Younis,
> >authorities said."
> >
> >Wow, what a lousy return, I thought someone had made real money.
> It always amazes me how so many people will risk so much for so
> little.
> >
> >They must have been really persistent about telling anyone who would
> >listen about what they did to get anyone to investigate a cop over 52
> >grand; I expect that type of small-time insider trading happens
> >a hundred times a day and nobody's the wiser because the participants
> >know how to shut up
> It wouldn't surprise me if the SEC routinely looks at all stock trades
> related to takeover announcements. If you've got a person who never
> invests in a particular sector, then with remarkable prescience buys
> in just before a big price jump, then exits, well, that does perhaps
> merit a closer look. I don't know the particulars of this case but as
> a retired ADI employee will watch with interest.

Details of trading can trigger an investigation, but is not in itself remotely enough to support a claim of insider trading. If the communications are kept to untraceable means, then there is no way to convict. The problem is in most cases the communications are completely visible through cell phones or worse text where not only the timing but the content is visible. Go old school and communicate by smoke signals or use something untraceable like a burner phone or web sites from a foreign IP address (like a VPN), not your home or work.

The SEC is very patient. They will track people for weeks and months to let them slip up. I don't think it matters how much you make. They want the perpetrators unmasked. After all, do it once and get away with it and you may try to do it again, and again...

Remember Martha Steward? In fact, her crime was not the insider trading which would have been a simple fine, but lying to the federal investigators which was a felony.

--

Rick C.

- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging

Re: Analog Devices, dirty dealz

<ELgGJ.135234$Gco3.62909@fx01.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=88284&group=sci.electronics.design#88284

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: use...@example.net (bitrex)
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2022 12:14:12 -0500
 by: bitrex - Thu, 20 Jan 2022 17:14 UTC

On 1/20/2022 11:16 AM, Rick C wrote:
> On Thursday, January 20, 2022 at 8:50:47 AM UTC-5, Steve Goldstein wrote:

>>> <https://www.reuters.com/legal/government/police-officer-others-charged-with-insider-trading-related-chipmaker-merger-2022-01-19/>
>>>
>>> "Manning and Younis through their trading made $7,979 and nearly $52,000
>>> in profits, respectively. A third person, a demolition company owner who
>>> did business with Younis, made $11,017 based on a trading tip by Younis,
>>> authorities said."
>>>
>>> Wow, what a lousy return, I thought someone had made real money.
>> It always amazes me how so many people will risk so much for so
>> little.
>>>
>>> They must have been really persistent about telling anyone who would
>>> listen about what they did to get anyone to investigate a cop over 52
>>> grand; I expect that type of small-time insider trading happens
>>> a hundred times a day and nobody's the wiser because the participants
>>> know how to shut up
>> It wouldn't surprise me if the SEC routinely looks at all stock trades
>> related to takeover announcements. If you've got a person who never
>> invests in a particular sector, then with remarkable prescience buys
>> in just before a big price jump, then exits, well, that does perhaps
>> merit a closer look. I don't know the particulars of this case but as
>> a retired ADI employee will watch with interest.
>
> Details of trading can trigger an investigation, but is not in itself remotely enough to support a claim of insider trading. If the communications are kept to untraceable means, then there is no way to convict. The problem is in most cases the communications are completely visible through cell phones or worse text where not only the timing but the content is visible. Go old school and communicate by smoke signals or use something untraceable like a burner phone or web sites from a foreign IP address (like a VPN), not your home or work.

Right, it is the kind of thing they may routinely look at for
fascinating coincidences, but it's a fascinating coincidence without
more than that.

The police officer had a family member in ADI who he overheard some
stuff from, and if he'd made a (relatively) modest trade of 50k on this
info himself and never spoke of it again, well...as I say I think that
stuff happens relatively often and nobody gets bagged for it.

> The SEC is very patient. They will track people for weeks and months to let them slip up. I don't think it matters how much you make. They want the perpetrators unmasked. After all, do it once and get away with it and you may try to do it again, and again...

The Trump admin's SEC was lackadaisical as you'd expect, looks like
maybe the feds have stepped it up again.

Best guess is (and it's only a guess) is that because the officer told a
couple old townie buddies also, they made small change but couldn't keep
quiet about it. And one or both of them eventually blabbed to the wrong
person who tipped off the feds, and they were able to pull enough dirt
by whatever mechanism to feel confident bagging the lot of them.

Mr. Officer should have known better than to tell his old chums shit, if
that is how it went down I expect any objective observer could tell you
those doofs knew how to "cover their tracks" about as well as a bull in
a china shop, I know the type. Didn't Ayn Rand say something about the
virtue of selfishness?