"Flattery is all right -- if you don't inhale." -- Adlai Stevenson

tech / sci.astro.amateur / Re: Venus in direct motion/Mercury in retrograde motion

SubjectAuthor
* Venus in direct motion/Mercury in retrograde motionkellehe...@gmail.com
`- Re: Venus in direct motion/Mercury in retrograde motionkellehe...@gmail.com

1
Venus in direct motion/Mercury in retrograde motion

<5739572a-40f8-4876-b5a9-f71f7c3809e4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=8774&group=sci.astro.amateur#8774

Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 07:14:58 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Venus in direct motion/Mercury in retrograde motion
From: kelleher...@gmail.com (kellehe...@gmail.com)
 by: kellehe...@gmail.com - Tue, 30 Aug 2022 14:14 UTC

Next month, the obverse spectacle to the one in 2013 will occur-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2uCtot1aDg

Mercury is further away from the slower moving Earth in retrograde motion and also it is smaller than Venus, hence it will be barely noticeable against the change in position of the stars and especially as it approach the closest point in our mutual orbits.

Venus will be quite bright, but as it is much further away from the Earth when on the opposite side of the solar system, the nearer Mercury will also appear bright when it arrives at that position in October.

Re: Venus in direct motion/Mercury in retrograde motion

<c1eb7398-da3c-4e2c-b075-cffb5c67bf35n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=8909&group=sci.astro.amateur#8909

Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2022 07:34:25 -0700 (PDT)
From: kelleher...@gmail.com (kellehe...@gmail.com)
 by: kellehe...@gmail.com - Tue, 20 Sep 2022 14:34 UTC

On Tuesday, August 30, 2022 at 3:14:59 PM UTC+1, kellehe...@gmail.com wrote:
> Next month, the obverse spectacle to the one in 2013 will occur-
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2uCtot1aDg
>
> Mercury is further away from the slower moving Earth in retrograde motion and also it is smaller than Venus, hence it will be barely noticeable against the change in position of the stars and especially as it approach the closest point in our mutual orbits.
>
> Venus will be quite bright, but as it is much further away from the Earth when on the opposite side of the solar system, the nearer Mercury will also appear bright when it arrives at that position in October.

Mercury is currently passing between the slower moving Earth and the stationary Sun as the satellite peers towards the inner solar system-

https://sol24.net/data/html/SOHO/C3/96H/VIDEO/

Unlike a stationary field of background stars, the change in the position of the stars relative to the central foreground Sun is in response to the Earth's orbital motion. As Mercury moves faster, its motion can easily be spotted insofar as the background stars move in unison from left to right while Mercury is set off as a faster change from left to right when in retrograde motion.