"I'm not a god, I was misquoted." -- Lister, Red Dwarf

tech / sci.math / Re: Empty Functions: How important are they?

SubjectAuthor
* Empty Functions: How important are they?Dan Christensen
+- Re: Empty Functions: How important are they?Keegan Buker
+* Re: Empty Functions: How important are they?Dan Christensen
|+* Re: Empty Functions: How important are they?Mostowski Collapse
||`* Re: Empty Functions: How important are they?Dan Christensen
|| `* Re: Empty Functions: How important are they?Dan Christensen
||  `- Re: Empty Functions: How important are they?Dan Christensen
|`* Re: Empty Functions: How important are they?Timothy Golden
| `* Re: Empty Functions: How important are they?Dan Christensen
|  `- Re: Empty Functions: How important are they?Timothy Golden
+* Re: Empty Functions: How important are they?FredJeffries
|`* Re: Empty Functions: How important are they?Dan Christensen
| +* Re: Empty Functions: How important are they?Mostowski Collapse
| |`* Re: Empty Functions: How important are they?Dan Christensen
| | +- Re: Empty Functions: How important are they?Timothy Golden
| | +* Re: Empty Functions: How important are they?Timothy Golden
| | |+- Re: Empty Functions: How important are they?Timothy Golden
| | |`* Re: Empty Functions: How important are they?FredJeffries
| | | `* Re: Empty Functions: How important are they?Timothy Golden
| | |  `* Re: Empty Functions: How important are they?FredJeffries
| | |   `* Re: Empty Functions: How important are they?Timothy Golden
| | |    `* Re: Empty Functions: How important are they?FredJeffries
| | |     `* Re: Empty Functions: How important are they?Timothy Golden
| | |      `- Re: Empty Functions: How important are they?Timothy Golden
| | `- Re: Empty Functions: How important are they?Mostowski Collapse
| `- Re: Empty Functions: How important are they?FredJeffries
`- Re: Empty Functions: How important are they?Dan Christensen

Pages:12
Re: Empty Functions: How important are they?

<431d5c1d-0775-4a20-b1d8-2dadbc21573en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89344&group=sci.math#89344

Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2022 06:56:30 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Empty Functions: How important are they?
From: timbandt...@gmail.com (Timothy Golden)
 by: Timothy Golden - Wed, 26 Jan 2022 14:56 UTC

On Wednesday, January 26, 2022 at 8:55:34 AM UTC-5, Timothy Golden wrote:
> [...]
> > > return d + 0.123456789;
> > > }
> > >

> > > from() : int -> double
> > > Two sets, and neither of them pondered by you.

> > > False.
> > > Les S be the integers. Let f(NULL) be 2 in S. Let ff(NULL) be 3 in S. Let fff(NULL) be 1 in S
> > > There are at least three.
> > > Therefore there is not exactly one function from the empty set to S.

> > > I confirm that S is not the empty set. There are however plenty of functions from S to the empty set, but none of them are ones you've already been speaking of. You are introducing inverses for no apparent reason, but f', ff', and fff' as inverses do seem to exist. So here again I guess I am falsifying your own statement. You were speaking of empty set to S; not the other way around. Keeping it simple would be helpful. I'll do my best to carry on not becoming carrion.

> > > It's kind of interesting to enter constants in as functions. It sort of fills out the operator theory from the instantiation angle. It is backwards looking, but it does seal the elemental format nicely. For all you bickering about S and empty sets of course constants answer the problem. And it is good. It takes on a wholesome feeling after all that fluffer-nutter you have us gag down.
> No Fred. You say that for any set S there is exactly one function from the empty set to S. I suppose the integers, and sure enough there are plenty of f(). The whole analysis of becoming reliant upon nothing within a theory is sort of a lame-ass position really. To broaden the scope let's ponder some other f() that could do something quite interesting:
> int f(){ static i = 0; return i++ }
> Now we have not exactly a constant function, but a consistent function none the less. Now the omniscience of the function is debunked. The idea that empty in means empty out somehow you've landed upon, yet that may be just one instance of a dark type more akin to P1 really in its zero dimensional state. If there is one thing we can give a number is it memory? The number which remembers itself? Then the function to act upon the number not as a thing more fundamental than an operator, but put correctly in its place atop the operators and ultimately as an operator. This sort of functional analysis I could get behind and let have a little action. She will run sweet all the time and expose the system as much as she hides her memories. I was once ten and then I turned eleven. twelve and twenty one were a decade of rapid change for all of us I would think. Yet which was the more coherent of us? Was it then or is it now and wouldn't we rather retain it for both the here and the now? That the now is the trick form and that the here need only be instantiated yet what the real and their ilk have done has landed us here. It is like a church run amuck. All of us its parish. Perish we mustn't. Squeak We Must!@

If we allow in this function with a numerical memory; no different than a constant yet operant as well as in the sense of the function... well, the sky is the limit and the freedom to construct is extreme. This is as it should be. This is what we need. We need rich data from naught. To get physical reality we need rich data from naught. As to what selection criteria we require: at this primitive level we need none. We need a scaffol and it is good that the scaffold not be confused with the painter, though of course the painter holds the scaffolding up, and by this a cryptic language ensues yet the pursuit of mathematics is to do so in an unencrypted form. So we go carefully. We go slowly. Yet in a place where falsifications are not addressed and the freedom to construct is so large, and what? You are going to have a problem with a number with a memory? Hah! Now we have a true parishioner..

Re: Empty Functions: How important are they?

<52da469b-7b21-4653-86ed-7b963ac8785en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89346&group=sci.math#89346

Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2022 07:04:53 -0800 (PST)
From: Dan_Chri...@sympatico.ca (Dan Christensen)
 by: Dan Christensen - Wed, 26 Jan 2022 15:04 UTC

On Saturday, January 22, 2022 at 7:33:07 PM UTC-5, Dan Christensen wrote:
> Are empty functions (those with empty domains) important in real analysis or algebra? I wouldn't think so.

This turns out to be a non-issue, in DC Proof. The Function Axiom is simply not applicable for empty domains or codomains. It introduces the standard "f(x)" functional notation, but only for non-empty domains and codomain. Wouldn't make sense otherwise.

Dan