At many levels, Perl is a "diagonal" language. -- Larry Wall in <199709021854.LAA12794@wall.org>

tech / sci.electronics.design / Re: Samsung MLCC characteristics data

SubjectAuthor
* Samsung MLCC characteristics dataPhil Hobbs
`* Re: Samsung MLCC characteristics dataKlaus Kragelund
 +- Re: Samsung MLCC characteristics dataUwe Bonnes
 `* Re: Samsung MLCC characteristics dataJohn Larkin
  `* Re: Samsung MLCC characteristics dataPhil Hobbs
   `* Re: Samsung MLCC characteristics dataSergey Kubushyn
    `* Re: Samsung MLCC characteristics dataJohn Larkin
     +- Re: Samsung MLCC characteristics dataAnthony William Sloman
     +- Re: Samsung MLCC characteristics datawhit3rd
     `- Re: Samsung MLCC characteristics datalegg

1
Samsung MLCC characteristics data

<0c6b1d23-be93-43ee-e407-b269fbe955db@electrooptical.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89323&group=sci.electronics.design#89323

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: pcdhSpam...@electrooptical.net (Phil Hobbs)
Subject: Samsung MLCC characteristics data
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2022 15:16:11 -0500
 by: Phil Hobbs - Fri, 4 Feb 2022 20:16 UTC

Hi, all,

Many of us have been frustrated by Samsung's continually hiding its MLCC
characteristics data, so that even their own search engine frequently
can't hide it.

For instance, the CL21A475KPFNNNE is listed as 4.7 uF, 10%, 10V, X5R in
0805. Digikey has over 800k in stock, and will happily sell them to you
for under 2 cents in reels. Not bad at all, assuming their C(V) is
vaguely decent, but is it? The characteristics links are broken again!

One approach that seems to fix this is to take the part number, chop off
the last character (the package code), and make it into a URL, like this:

http://product.samsungsem.com/mlcc/CL21A475KPFNNN.do

That pulls up a useful summary page with the relevant plots, showing
that the capacitance is 70% of nominal at 5 volts--not bad for such a
high-density part.

Dunno how long this trick will work, but it seems good for now.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com

Re: Samsung MLCC characteristics data

<tscheppe.m853iys109ze@nntp.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89329&group=sci.electronics.design#89329

From: klausk...@hotmail.com (Klaus Kragelund)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Samsung MLCC characteristics data
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2022 22:36:19 +0100
 by: Klaus Kragelund - Fri, 4 Feb 2022 21:36 UTC

04.02.22 21:16, Phil Hobbs wrote:
>Hi, all,
>
>Many of us have been frustrated by Samsung's continually hiding its MLCC
>characteristics data, so that even their own search engine frequently
>can't hide it.
>
>For instance, the CL21A475KPFNNNE is listed as 4.7 uF, 10%, 10V, X5R in
>0805. Digikey has over 800k in stock, and will happily sell them to you
>for under 2 cents in reels. Not bad at all, assuming their C(V) is
>vaguely decent, but is it? The characteristics links are broken again!
>
>One approach that seems to fix this is to take the part number, chop off
>the last character (the package code), and make it into a URL, like this:
>
>http://product.samsungsem.com/mlcc/CL21A475KPFNNN.do
>
>That pulls up a useful summary page with the relevant plots, showing
>that the capacitance is 70% of nominal at 5 volts--not bad for such a
>high-density part.
>
>Dunno how long this trick will work, but it seems good for now.

Samsung is known for producing caps with high density, but horrible C vs V rating

--
Klaus

Re: Samsung MLCC characteristics data

<j65otpF5vh7U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89336&group=sci.electronics.design#89336

From: bon...@hertz.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de (Uwe Bonnes)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: 4 Feb 2022 22:50:33 GMT
 by: Uwe Bonnes - Fri, 4 Feb 2022 22:50 UTC

Klaus Kragelund <klauskvik@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Samsung is known for producing caps with high density, but horrible C vs V rating

But the data given for CL21A475KPFNNNE seems not so bad. Do other 0805
4u7/10V behave substantial better?

Any idea for a better MLC capacitor specification than xuF/yV ? C@Vmax?
Energy (U*U *C/ 2) ?
--
Uwe Bonnes bon@elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de

Institut fuer Kernphysik Schlossgartenstrasse 9 64289 Darmstadt
--------- Tel. 06151 1623569 ------- Fax. 06151 1623305 ---------

Re: Samsung MLCC characteristics data

<30crvg95iffiu4nfpi9ek75bs7ch81qlae@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89338&group=sci.electronics.design#89338

From: jjlar...@highlandtechnology.com (John Larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2022 15:02:01 -0800
 by: John Larkin - Fri, 4 Feb 2022 23:02 UTC

On Fri, 04 Feb 2022 22:36:19 +0100, Klaus Kragelund
<klauskvik@hotmail.com> wrote:

>04.02.22 21:16, Phil Hobbs wrote:
>>Hi, all,
>>
>>Many of us have been frustrated by Samsung's continually hiding its MLCC
>>characteristics data, so that even their own search engine frequently
>>can't hide it.
>>
>>For instance, the CL21A475KPFNNNE is listed as 4.7 uF, 10%, 10V, X5R in
>>0805. Digikey has over 800k in stock, and will happily sell them to you
>>for under 2 cents in reels. Not bad at all, assuming their C(V) is
>>vaguely decent, but is it? The characteristics links are broken again!
>>
>>One approach that seems to fix this is to take the part number, chop off
>>the last character (the package code), and make it into a URL, like this:
>>
>>http://product.samsungsem.com/mlcc/CL21A475KPFNNN.do
>>
>>That pulls up a useful summary page with the relevant plots, showing
>>that the capacitance is 70% of nominal at 5 volts--not bad for such a
>>high-density part.
>>
>>Dunno how long this trick will work, but it seems good for now.
>>
>Samsung is known for producing caps with high density, but horrible C vs V rating

It's about 3.5 uF at the rated 10 volts. That's actually not bad.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc trk

The cork popped merrily, and Lord Peter rose to his feet.
"Bunter", he said, "I give you a toast. The triumph of Instinct over Reason"

Re: Samsung MLCC characteristics data

<d4783c34-0417-fa96-f867-18126e4ef572@electrooptical.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89340&group=sci.electronics.design#89340

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: pcdhSpam...@electrooptical.net (Phil Hobbs)
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2022 18:12:35 -0500
 by: Phil Hobbs - Fri, 4 Feb 2022 23:12 UTC

John Larkin wrote:
> On Fri, 04 Feb 2022 22:36:19 +0100, Klaus Kragelund
> <klauskvik@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> 04.02.22 21:16, Phil Hobbs wrote:
>>> Hi, all,
>>>
>>> Many of us have been frustrated by Samsung's continually hiding its MLCC
>>> characteristics data, so that even their own search engine frequently
>>> can't hide it.
>>>
>>> For instance, the CL21A475KPFNNNE is listed as 4.7 uF, 10%, 10V, X5R in
>>> 0805. Digikey has over 800k in stock, and will happily sell them to you
>>> for under 2 cents in reels. Not bad at all, assuming their C(V) is
>>> vaguely decent, but is it? The characteristics links are broken again!
>>>
>>> One approach that seems to fix this is to take the part number, chop off
>>> the last character (the package code), and make it into a URL, like this:
>>>
>>> http://product.samsungsem.com/mlcc/CL21A475KPFNNN.do
>>>
>>> That pulls up a useful summary page with the relevant plots, showing
>>> that the capacitance is 70% of nominal at 5 volts--not bad for such a
>>> high-density part.
>>>
>>> Dunno how long this trick will work, but it seems good for now.
>>>
>> Samsung is known for producing caps with high density, but horrible C vs V rating
>
> It's about 3.5 uF at the rated 10 volts. That's actually not bad.

For a one-point-seven-cent cap, it's practically miraculous.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com

Re: Samsung MLCC characteristics data

<stke45$ea4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89344&group=sci.electronics.design#89344

From: ksi...@koi8.net (Sergey Kubushyn)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2022 23:50:29 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Sergey Kubushyn - Fri, 4 Feb 2022 23:50 UTC

Phil Hobbs <pcdhSpamMeSenseless@electrooptical.net> wrote:
> John Larkin wrote:
>> On Fri, 04 Feb 2022 22:36:19 +0100, Klaus Kragelund
>> <klauskvik@hotmail.com> wrote:

>>> Samsung is known for producing caps with high density, but horrible C vs V rating
>>
>> It's about 3.5 uF at the rated 10 volts. That's actually not bad.
>>
> For a one-point-seven-cent cap, it's practically miraculous.

Bought a reel, just in case -- BTW, that one-point-seven-cent is a ripoff :)
Avnet has 292,000 (290,000 already) in stock for $15.40 plus $3.54 tariff
per reel that comes to ZERO-point-nine-forty-five-cent out of the door :)

---
* KSI@home KOI8 Net < > The impossible we do immediately. *
* Las Vegas NV, USA < > Miracles require 24-hour notice. *

Re: Samsung MLCC characteristics data

<o3krvg5gcsmq59v2uh60b2d4c7icskmfa3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89351&group=sci.electronics.design#89351

From: jjlar...@highlandtechnology.com (John Larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2022 17:20:10 -0800
 by: John Larkin - Sat, 5 Feb 2022 01:20 UTC

On Fri, 4 Feb 2022 23:50:29 -0000 (UTC), Sergey Kubushyn
<ksi@koi8.net> wrote:

>Phil Hobbs <pcdhSpamMeSenseless@electrooptical.net> wrote:
>> John Larkin wrote:

>>> It's about 3.5 uF at the rated 10 volts. That's actually not bad.
>>>
>> For a one-point-seven-cent cap, it's practically miraculous.
>
>Bought a reel, just in case -- BTW, that one-point-seven-cent is a ripoff :)
>Avnet has 292,000 (290,000 already) in stock for $15.40 plus $3.54 tariff
>per reel that comes to ZERO-point-nine-forty-five-cent out of the door :)
>
>---
>* KSI@home KOI8 Net < > The impossible we do immediately. *
>* Las Vegas NV, USA < > Miracles require 24-hour notice. *

Why do people bother to make passives for under a cent and fabulous
transistors for three cents?

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc trk

The cork popped merrily, and Lord Peter rose to his feet.
"Bunter", he said, "I give you a toast. The triumph of Instinct over Reason"

Re: Samsung MLCC characteristics data

<98be40c4-7b1c-4a3e-b834-90dc73f12030n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89357&group=sci.electronics.design#89357

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2022 23:10:39 -0800 (PST)
From: bill.slo...@ieee.org (Anthony William Sloman)
 by: Anthony William Slom - Sat, 5 Feb 2022 07:10 UTC

On Saturday, February 5, 2022 at 12:20:22 PM UTC+11, John Larkin wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Feb 2022 23:50:29 -0000 (UTC), Sergey Kubushyn
> <k...@koi8.net> wrote:
>
> >Phil Hobbs <pcdhSpamM...@electrooptical.net> wrote:

> >> For a one-point-seven-cent cap, it's practically miraculous.
> >
> >Bought a reel, just in case -- BTW, that one-point-seven-cent is a ripoff :)
> >Avnet has 292,000 (290,000 already) in stock for $15.40 plus $3.54 tariff
> >per reel that comes to ZERO-point-nine-forty-five-cent out of the door :)
>
> Why do people bother to make passives for under a cent and fabulous
> transistors for three cents?

Because it lets them sell a lot of them. Sell enough of them and you can make millions, and it's hard for the competition to undercut those sorts of prices.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: Samsung MLCC characteristics data

<b180ad0b-f3de-4ef8-8698-3de67da16670n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89361&group=sci.electronics.design#89361

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2022 00:03:44 -0800 (PST)
From: whit...@gmail.com (whit3rd)
 by: whit3rd - Sat, 5 Feb 2022 08:03 UTC

On Friday, February 4, 2022 at 5:20:22 PM UTC-8, John Larkin wrote:

> Why do people bother to make passives for under a cent and fabulous
> transistors for three cents?

For three cents each, of course.

A modest CPU nowadays can have a billion transistors under $100,
so the Intel i3 comes in at 0.000 007 cents per transistor. That's better
than the per-letter price of my Sunday paper.

Re: Samsung MLCC characteristics data

<fcvsvgdg6tb684hpjhnmbj2ekktc2rd1si@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89372&group=sci.electronics.design#89372

From: leg...@nospam.magma.ca (legg)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2022 08:42:06 -0500
 by: legg - Sat, 5 Feb 2022 13:42 UTC

On Fri, 04 Feb 2022 17:20:10 -0800, John Larkin
<jjlarkin@highlandtechnology.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 4 Feb 2022 23:50:29 -0000 (UTC), Sergey Kubushyn
><ksi@koi8.net> wrote:
>
>>Phil Hobbs <pcdhSpamMeSenseless@electrooptical.net> wrote:

>>> For a one-point-seven-cent cap, it's practically miraculous.
>>
>>Bought a reel, just in case -- BTW, that one-point-seven-cent is a ripoff :)
>>Avnet has 292,000 (290,000 already) in stock for $15.40 plus $3.54 tariff
>>per reel that comes to ZERO-point-nine-forty-five-cent out of the door :)
>>
>>---
>>******************************************************************
>>* KSI@home KOI8 Net < > The impossible we do immediately. *
>>* Las Vegas NV, USA < > Miracles require 24-hour notice. *
>
>Why do people bother to make passives for under a cent and fabulous
>transistors for three cents?

Because they know they can oversell quantity, by orders of magnitude,
to low-volume users?

Used to be, you'd sniff out high-volume parts in a range and ride
on the pricing coat-tails of the high-volume purchasers, but at
a sensible quantity for the job.

RL