If a listener nods his head when you're explaining your program, wake him up.

tech / sci.electronics.design / Re: Covid Omicron Pattern

SubjectAuthor
* Covid Omicron PatternRick C
+* Re: Covid Omicron Patternlegg
|+* Re: Covid Omicron PatternRick C
||`- Re: Covid Omicron PatternMartin Brown
|`* Re: Covid Omicron PatternJohn Larkin
| `* Re: Covid Omicron Patternlegg
|  `* Re: Covid Omicron PatternRick C
|   `* Re: Covid Omicron PatternEd Lee
|    `* Re: Covid Omicron PatternRick C
|     `* Re: Covid Omicron PatternEd Lee
|      `* Re: Covid Omicron PatternRick C
|       `* Re: Covid Omicron PatternEd Lee
|        `* Re: Covid Omicron PatternRick C
|         `* Re: Covid Omicron PatternEd Lee
|          `* Re: Covid Omicron PatternRick C
|           `- Re: Covid Omicron PatternEd Lee
+* Re: Covid Omicron PatternEd Lee
|+* Re: Covid Omicron PatternDecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno
||`* Re: Covid Omicron PatternEd Lee
|| `- Re: Covid Omicron PatternDecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno
|`* Re: Covid Omicron PatternDecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno
| +* Re: Covid Omicron PatternRick C
| |`- Re: Covid Omicron PatternDecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno
| `* Re: Covid Omicron PatternEd Lee
|  `* Re: Covid Omicron PatternDecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno
|   `* Re: Covid Omicron PatternRick C
|    `* Re: Covid Omicron PatternDecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno
|     `* Re: Covid Omicron PatternRick C
|      `- Re: Covid Omicron Patternbitrex
+* Re: Covid Omicron PatternSylvia Else
|`* Re: Covid Omicron PatternJohn Larkin
| +- Re: Covid Omicron PatternSylvia Else
| +* Re: Covid Omicron PatternAnthony William Sloman
| |+- Re: Covid Omicron PatternRick C
| |`* Re: Covid Omicron PatternMartin Brown
| | +* Re: Covid Omicron PatternRick C
| | |`* Re: Covid Omicron PatternMartin Brown
| | | `* Re: Covid Omicron PatternRick C
| | |  `* Re: Covid Omicron PatternMartin Brown
| | |   `- Re: Covid Omicron PatternRick C
| | +- Re: Covid Omicron PatternAnthony William Sloman
| | `* Re: Covid Omicron PatternTom Gardner
| |  `* Re: Covid Omicron PatternDecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno
| |   `* Re: Covid Omicron PatternRick C
| |    +- Re: Covid Omicron PatternDecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno
| |    `* Re: Covid Omicron PatternAnthony William Sloman
| |     `* Re: Covid Omicron PatternRick C
| |      `* Re: Covid Omicron PatternAnthony William Sloman
| |       `- Re: Covid Omicron PatternRick C
| `- Re: Covid Omicron Patternwhit3rd
`- Re: Covid Omicron PatternSylvia Else

Pages:123
Re: Covid Omicron Pattern

<j68i91Fm93hU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89419&group=sci.electronics.design#89419

From: syl...@email.invalid (Sylvia Else)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Covid Omicron Pattern
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2022 11:15:29 +1100
 by: Sylvia Else - Sun, 6 Feb 2022 00:15 UTC

On 26-Jan-22 4:28 pm, Rick C wrote:
> There does seem to be a pattern of the omicron variant of covid rising in infection rates very rapidly, then peaking and falling off. The drop does not seem to be as rapid and several countries have seen it drop some and plateau.
>
> I'm surprised by this as I don't think it can be explained by changes in behavior. I spend time in Virginia and Puerto Rico where the infection is following roughly the same pattern.
>
> https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/us/puerto-rico-covid-cases.html
>
> https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/us/virginia-covid-cases.html
>
> (you may find a pay wall, I seem to be able to work around it by starting at the top and clicking through to reach the states)
>
> However, I see Puerto Rico taking the mask thing very much more seriously. They do congregate in mostly open air bars and restaurants (without masks), but otherwise not a lot of exposure.
>
> In Virginia it seems well over half the people in public are ignoring the mask advice and this has not changed as the infection numbers has risen.
>
> So what could be a factor that results in a highly infectious strain rising in rates so rapidly, only to peak and turn around in a short time, well before a significant number of people are infected?
>
> I read that the FDA has pulled the emergency approval for some of the antibody treatments since they are not effective against the omicron strain. So that their use should not be a factor.
>
> Any thoughts?

This is interesting, and possibly related:

<https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-02-04/qld-coronavirus-covid-pcr-tests-queensland-health-symptoms/100771540>

Sylvia.