Crazee Edeee, his prices are INSANE!!!

tech / sci.electronics.design / cell phone / tablet USB host ?

SubjectAuthor
* cell phone / tablet USB host ?legg
+* Re: cell phone / tablet USB host ?DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno
|`- Re: cell phone / tablet USB host ?徐鑫
+* Re: cell phone / tablet USB host ?John Larkin
|+* Re: cell phone / tablet USB host ?Ed Lee
||`* Re: cell phone / tablet USB host ?DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno
|| `- Re: cell phone / tablet USB host ?Ed Lee
|+- Re: cell phone / tablet USB host ?Lasse Langwadt Christensen
|`- Re: cell phone / tablet USB host ?Jasen Betts
+* Re: cell phone / tablet USB host ?Mike Coon
|`* Re: cell phone / tablet USB host ?legg
| `* Re: cell phone / tablet USB host ?Lasse Langwadt Christensen
|  `* Re: cell phone / tablet USB host ?legg
|   `- Re: cell phone / tablet USB host ?Lasse Langwadt Christensen
+* Re: cell phone / tablet USB host ?whit3rd
|`- Re: cell phone / tablet USB host ?legg
+* Re: cell phone / tablet USB host ?Clifford Heath
|`* Re: cell phone / tablet USB host ?Ed Lee
| `* Re: cell phone / tablet USB host ?whit3rd
|  +* Re: cell phone / tablet USB host ?Ed Lee
|  |`- Re: cell phone / tablet USB host ?Ed Lee
|  `- Re: cell phone / tablet USB host ?DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno
+* Re: cell phone / tablet USB host ?legg
|+- Re: cell phone / tablet USB host ?Lasse Langwadt Christensen
|`* Re: cell phone / tablet USB host ?Clifford Heath
| `- Re: cell phone / tablet USB host ?legg
`- Re: cell phone / tablet USB host ?徐鑫

Pages:12
cell phone / tablet USB host ?

<l8qvvg90aa541vdla966bv99k93mtj5o7j@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89468&group=sci.electronics.design#89468

From: leg...@nospam.magma.ca (legg)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: cell phone / tablet USB host ?
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2022 10:33:35 -0500
 by: legg - Sun, 6 Feb 2022 15:33 UTC

Recent experience (first) with a Lenovo Tab 8
had me scratching my head.

It's USB (~charging) port could communicate with a
PC for file transfer, but couldn't read a memory stick.
This with all the recommended OTG cabling.

Why would you stick a communicative USB port on a
battery-operated device and then restrict it from
acting as a USB host?

Is this normal?

Is this sane?

I know there are a multitude of other methods of
com available for these devices, but why not
simple USB stick transfer?

RL

Re: cell phone / tablet USB host ?

<stos2d$un$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89469&group=sci.electronics.design#89469

From: Decadent...@decadence.org
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: cell phone / tablet USB host ?
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2022 16:13:01 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Decadent...@decadence.org - Sun, 6 Feb 2022 16:13 UTC

legg <legg@nospam.magma.ca> wrote in

> Recent experience (first) with a Lenovo Tab 8
> had me scratching my head.
>
> It's USB (~charging) port could communicate with a
> PC for file transfer, but couldn't read a memory stick.
> This with all the recommended OTG cabling.
>
> Why would you stick a communicative USB port on a
> battery-operated device and then restrict it from
> acting as a USB host?
>
> Is this normal?
>
> Is this sane?
>
> I know there are a multitude of other methods of
> com available for these devices, but why not
> simple USB stick transfer?
>
> RL

Isn't a tab 8 about 8 years old?

Also some chip reader/usb port devices do not mandshake nicely in
every case.

As old as I remember those being, that may have been back in the
virus on a stick days. So they put extra security in. No connection
is as secure as it gets, eh?

Re: cell phone / tablet USB host ?

<n5tvvg5vssdi745q9t55uopo2vrh0c3pja@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89471&group=sci.electronics.design#89471

From: jjlar...@highlandtechnology.com (John Larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2022 08:21:50 -0800
 by: John Larkin - Sun, 6 Feb 2022 16:21 UTC

On Sun, 06 Feb 2022 10:33:35 -0500, legg <legg@nospam.magma.ca> wrote:

>Recent experience (first) with a Lenovo Tab 8
>had me scratching my head.
>
>It's USB (~charging) port could communicate with a
>PC for file transfer, but couldn't read a memory stick.
>This with all the recommended OTG cabling.
>
>Why would you stick a communicative USB port on a
>battery-operated device and then restrict it from
>acting as a USB host?
>
>Is this normal?

It is for USB. Devices are either controllers or targets (formerly
known as masters and slaves.)

Does anyone know of devices that can do both?

It's sad that USB was not designed as a real bus.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc trk

The cork popped merrily, and Lord Peter rose to his feet.
"Bunter", he said, "I give you a toast. The triumph of Instinct over Reason"

Re: cell phone / tablet USB host ?

<MPG.3c6a0f811b284f3989691@usenet.plus.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89473&group=sci.electronics.design#89473

From: grav...@mjcoon.plus.com (Mike Coon)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2022 17:02:28 -0000
 by: Mike Coon - Sun, 6 Feb 2022 17:02 UTC

In article <l8qvvg90aa541vdla966bv99k93mtj5o7j@4ax.com>,
legg@nospam.magma.ca says...

> Recent experience (first) with a Lenovo Tab 8
> had me scratching my head.
>
> It's USB (~charging) port could communicate with a
> PC for file transfer, but couldn't read a memory stick.
> This with all the recommended OTG cabling.
>
> Why would you stick a communicative USB port on a
> battery-operated device and then restrict it from
> acting as a USB host?
>
> Is this normal?
>
> Is this sane?
>
> I know there are a multitude of other methods of
> com available for these devices, but why not
> simple USB stick transfer?
>
> RL

My smartphone requires "OTG" to be allowed in Settings/Additional
Settings. Get sane and RTFM...

Re: cell phone / tablet USB host ?

<b3d46de3-2da8-478c-aaa8-c29fda25fd82n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89475&group=sci.electronics.design#89475

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2022 09:04:38 -0800 (PST)
From: edward.m...@gmail.com (Ed Lee)
 by: Ed Lee - Sun, 6 Feb 2022 17:04 UTC

On Sunday, February 6, 2022 at 8:22:04 AM UTC-8, John Larkin wrote:
> On Sun, 06 Feb 2022 10:33:35 -0500, legg <le...@nospam.magma.ca> wrote:
>

> >Recent experience (first) with a Lenovo Tab 8
> >had me scratching my head.
> >
> >It's USB (~charging) port could communicate with a
> >PC for file transfer, but couldn't read a memory stick.
> >This with all the recommended OTG cabling.
> >
> >Why would you stick a communicative USB port on a
> >battery-operated device and then restrict it from
> >acting as a USB host?
> >
> >Is this normal?
> It is for USB. Devices are either controllers or targets (formerly
> known as masters and slaves.)
>
> Does anyone know of devices that can do both?

A true OTG device can do both. But implementing a true device is a different story.

Re: cell phone / tablet USB host ?

<dp400hdmipug63f8vkph82fakmnti9bs7f@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89483&group=sci.electronics.design#89483

From: leg...@nospam.magma.ca (legg)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2022 13:41:05 -0500
 by: legg - Sun, 6 Feb 2022 18:41 UTC

On Sun, 6 Feb 2022 17:02:28 -0000, Mike Coon <gravity@mjcoon.plus.com>
wrote:

>In article <l8qvvg90aa541vdla966bv99k93mtj5o7j@4ax.com>,
>legg@nospam.magma.ca says...
>>
>> Recent experience (first) with a Lenovo Tab 8
>> had me scratching my head.
>>
>> It's USB (~charging) port could communicate with a
>> PC for file transfer, but couldn't read a memory stick.
>> This with all the recommended OTG cabling.
>>
>> Why would you stick a communicative USB port on a
>> battery-operated device and then restrict it from
>> acting as a USB host?
>>
>> Is this normal?
>>
>> Is this sane?
>>
>> I know there are a multitude of other methods of
>> com available for these devices, but why not
>> simple USB stick transfer?
>>
>> RL
>
>My smartphone requires "OTG" to be allowed in Settings/Additional
>Settings. Get sane and RTFM...

You should see the manual and the 'settings' window on this
thing (and what it doesn't include).

The OTG harness is here, but if the 'settings' only allows
choice of USB transaction type and niether mentions hosting,
you're plumb out of luck.
Wrong toy for the job. Just had higher expectations (and those
were pretty low to begin with). Brought in just to cover a
simple bluetooth com app - figured I'd see what it could
do with some ADC, thermometry, logging or SDR dongles -
for which hardware and apps are available for PC . . .
and for 'android'.

Quad core ARM Cortex A35 ARMV7-A 64bit in a MediaTek SOC.
Android 7, last patched in 2019.

What's all this GooglePlay crap anyways? Do I really
want to know?

RL

Re: cell phone / tablet USB host ?

<87d9dc2f-8699-4f5c-b78e-d1d6d1b99f65n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89485&group=sci.electronics.design#89485

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2022 10:44:12 -0800 (PST)
From: langw...@fonz.dk (Lasse Langwadt Christensen)
 by: Lasse Langwadt Chris - Sun, 6 Feb 2022 18:44 UTC

søndag den 6. februar 2022 kl. 17.22.04 UTC+1 skrev John Larkin:
> On Sun, 06 Feb 2022 10:33:35 -0500, legg <le...@nospam.magma.ca> wrote:
>

> >Recent experience (first) with a Lenovo Tab 8
> >had me scratching my head.
> >
> >It's USB (~charging) port could communicate with a
> >PC for file transfer, but couldn't read a memory stick.
> >This with all the recommended OTG cabling.
> >
> >Why would you stick a communicative USB port on a
> >battery-operated device and then restrict it from
> >acting as a USB host?
> >
> >Is this normal?
> It is for USB. Devices are either controllers or targets (formerly
> known as masters and slaves.)
>
> Does anyone know of devices that can do both?

those that are OTG (On The Go)

The end that has the extra ID pin (avalible on mini/micro/C) pulled
to ground becomes host, So you need a cable that has the right connections

Re: cell phone / tablet USB host ?

<0108f879-dccb-4178-9e82-2ecc8266f1d8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89486&group=sci.electronics.design#89486

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2022 10:46:21 -0800 (PST)
From: langw...@fonz.dk (Lasse Langwadt Christensen)
 by: Lasse Langwadt Chris - Sun, 6 Feb 2022 18:46 UTC

søndag den 6. februar 2022 kl. 19.40.58 UTC+1 skrev legg:
> On Sun, 6 Feb 2022 17:02:28 -0000, Mike Coon <gra...@mjcoon.plus.com>
> wrote:
> >In article <l8qvvg90aa541vdla...@4ax.com>,
> >le...@nospam.magma.ca says...
> >>
> >> Recent experience (first) with a Lenovo Tab 8
> >> had me scratching my head.
> >>
> >> It's USB (~charging) port could communicate with a
> >> PC for file transfer, but couldn't read a memory stick.
> >> This with all the recommended OTG cabling.
> >>
> >> Why would you stick a communicative USB port on a
> >> battery-operated device and then restrict it from
> >> acting as a USB host?
> >>
> >> Is this normal?
> >>
> >> Is this sane?
> >>
> >> I know there are a multitude of other methods of
> >> com available for these devices, but why not
> >> simple USB stick transfer?
> >>
> >> RL
> >
> >My smartphone requires "OTG" to be allowed in Settings/Additional
> >Settings. Get sane and RTFM...
> You should see the manual and the 'settings' window on this
> thing (and what it doesn't include).
>
> The OTG harness is here, but if the 'settings' only allows
> choice of USB transaction type and niether mentions hosting,
> you're plumb out of luck.
>
> Wrong toy for the job. Just had higher expectations (and those
> were pretty low to begin with). Brought in just to cover a
> simple bluetooth com app - figured I'd see what it could
> do with some ADC, thermometry, logging or SDR dongles -
> for which hardware and apps are available for PC . . .
> and for 'android'.
>
> Quad core ARM Cortex A35 ARMV7-A 64bit in a MediaTek SOC.
> Android 7, last patched in 2019.
>
> What's all this GooglePlay crap anyways? Do I really
> want to know?

it's where you download apps, equivalent to Apples App Store

Re: cell phone / tablet USB host ?

<c6878c93-a60f-4eae-bec6-1094095393bbn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89492&group=sci.electronics.design#89492

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2022 11:40:46 -0800 (PST)
From: whit...@gmail.com (whit3rd)
 by: whit3rd - Sun, 6 Feb 2022 19:40 UTC

On Sunday, February 6, 2022 at 7:33:28 AM UTC-8, legg wrote:
> Recent experience (first) with a Lenovo Tab 8
> had me scratching my head.
>
> It's USB (~charging) port could communicate with a
> PC for file transfer, but couldn't read a memory stick.
> This with all the recommended OTG cabling.
>
> Why would you stick a communicative USB port on a
> battery-operated device and then restrict it from
> acting as a USB host?

USB was a master/slave 'bus'. The master (host) was the sole source of
electrical power to run your mouse, keyboard, speaker, etc.
So, a master could charge a phone. The phone, on the other hand is
a slave (and thus won't try to provide regulated power on the bus).

OTG was the name of the change that made it possible to power a gizmo
from a phone, and it ONLY worked with micro-USB connector (they had to use an extra pin).
Maybe your Lenovo was not OTG-compatible, or maybe it has a bad extra pin. I've been
able to use OTG-connect memory sticks with iPad and Android tablets, but there's some
wierdness (takes a special app on the iPad, and reformatting the stick is verboten).

What's the file system on the memory stick?

Re: cell phone / tablet USB host ?

<25a00h98rhri0ftf4g4k1m02l3dc2es95l@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89494&group=sci.electronics.design#89494

From: leg...@nospam.magma.ca (legg)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2022 15:12:33 -0500
 by: legg - Sun, 6 Feb 2022 20:12 UTC

On Sun, 6 Feb 2022 10:46:21 -0800 (PST), Lasse Langwadt Christensen
<langwadt@fonz.dk> wrote:

>søndag den 6. februar 2022 kl. 19.40.58 UTC+1 skrev legg:
>> On Sun, 6 Feb 2022 17:02:28 -0000, Mike Coon <gra...@mjcoon.plus.com>
>> wrote:
>> >In article <l8qvvg90aa541vdla...@4ax.com>,
>> >le...@nospam.magma.ca says...

>> >My smartphone requires "OTG" to be allowed in Settings/Additional
>> >Settings. Get sane and RTFM...
>> You should see the manual and the 'settings' window on this
>> thing (and what it doesn't include).
>>
>> The OTG harness is here, but if the 'settings' only allows
>> choice of USB transaction type and niether mentions hosting,
>> you're plumb out of luck.
>>
>> Wrong toy for the job. Just had higher expectations (and those
>> were pretty low to begin with). Brought in just to cover a
>> simple bluetooth com app - figured I'd see what it could
>> do with some ADC, thermometry, logging or SDR dongles -
>> for which hardware and apps are available for PC . . .
>> and for 'android'.
>>
>> Quad core ARM Cortex A35 ARMV7-A 64bit in a MediaTek SOC.
>> Android 7, last patched in 2019.
>>
>> What's all this GooglePlay crap anyways? Do I really
>> want to know?
>
>it's where you download apps, equivalent to Apples App Store

Download? Where's the download option?
It's install or uninstall.

I'd be happy to download and install it myself, though
this isn't as easy as it could be. Tablet couldn't
even see two .apk files in an APPS folder that I created
using usb file transfers from PC. Apparently the file
system partially mirrors itself without giving instructions
on navigating on one side or the other - can't get there
from here. Tap, Tap, Swipe, Swipe, Tap, Tap, TAP-TAP
Bloody TAP.

And what's this locating service that must be enabled
before an app will run? Not just enabled, but set to
High-Def (all com modes). And if it's so 'HighDef',
then why does the tablet tell me that I'm currently
located at the intersection of two parallel streets?
.. . . when I didn't even ask?

Ok , Ok, I'll wait till the right toy comes along.
Where are the junk shops when you need them?

RL

Re: cell phone / tablet USB host ?

<r7b00hd5gfp3e8cu8ef6qrpcklh0lotllb@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89495&group=sci.electronics.design#89495

From: leg...@nospam.magma.ca (legg)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2022 15:23:28 -0500
 by: legg - Sun, 6 Feb 2022 20:23 UTC

On Sun, 6 Feb 2022 11:40:46 -0800 (PST), whit3rd <whit3rd@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Sunday, February 6, 2022 at 7:33:28 AM UTC-8, legg wrote:
>> Recent experience (first) with a Lenovo Tab 8
>> had me scratching my head.
>>
>> It's USB (~charging) port could communicate with a
>> PC for file transfer, but couldn't read a memory stick.
>> This with all the recommended OTG cabling.
>>
>> Why would you stick a communicative USB port on a
>> battery-operated device and then restrict it from
>> acting as a USB host?
>
>USB was a master/slave 'bus'. The master (host) was the sole source of
>electrical power to run your mouse, keyboard, speaker, etc.
>So, a master could charge a phone. The phone, on the other hand is
>a slave (and thus won't try to provide regulated power on the bus).
>
>OTG was the name of the change that made it possible to power a gizmo
>from a phone, and it ONLY worked with micro-USB connector (they had to use an extra pin).
>Maybe your Lenovo was not OTG-compatible, or maybe it has a bad extra pin. I've been
>able to use OTG-connect memory sticks with iPad and Android tablets, but there's some
>wierdness (takes a special app on the iPad, and reformatting the stick is verboten).
>
>What's the file system on the memory stick?

They're all FAT-32

I haven't tried a powered usb bus port yet.
Lack of 'settings' doesn't predict well.

We used to laugh at the 'help' drop-down option
in MS OSs. Nothing to laugh at in this thing.

RL

Re: cell phone / tablet USB host ?

<3aafce2e-0e24-40cd-821d-6b38438349e8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89497&group=sci.electronics.design#89497

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2022 12:33:43 -0800 (PST)
From: langw...@fonz.dk (Lasse Langwadt Christensen)
 by: Lasse Langwadt Chris - Sun, 6 Feb 2022 20:33 UTC

søndag den 6. februar 2022 kl. 21.12.27 UTC+1 skrev legg:
> On Sun, 6 Feb 2022 10:46:21 -0800 (PST), Lasse Langwadt Christensen
> <lang...@fonz.dk> wrote:
>
> >søndag den 6. februar 2022 kl. 19.40.58 UTC+1 skrev legg:

> >> You should see the manual and the 'settings' window on this
> >> thing (and what it doesn't include).
> >>
> >> The OTG harness is here, but if the 'settings' only allows
> >> choice of USB transaction type and niether mentions hosting,
> >> you're plumb out of luck.
> >>
> >> Wrong toy for the job. Just had higher expectations (and those
> >> were pretty low to begin with). Brought in just to cover a
> >> simple bluetooth com app - figured I'd see what it could
> >> do with some ADC, thermometry, logging or SDR dongles -
> >> for which hardware and apps are available for PC . . .
> >> and for 'android'.
> >>
> >> Quad core ARM Cortex A35 ARMV7-A 64bit in a MediaTek SOC.
> >> Android 7, last patched in 2019.
> >>
> >> What's all this GooglePlay crap anyways? Do I really
> >> want to know?
> >
> >it's where you download apps, equivalent to Apples App Store
> Download? Where's the download option?
> It's install or uninstall.

sure, and install obviously downloads first

Re: cell phone / tablet USB host ?

<stpdmr$hot$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89501&group=sci.electronics.design#89501

From: Decadent...@decadence.org
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2022 21:14:03 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Decadent...@decadence.org - Sun, 6 Feb 2022 21:14 UTC

Ed Lee <edward.ming.lee@gmail.com> wrote in news:b3d46de3-2da8-478c-
aaa8-c29fda25fd82n@googlegroups.com:

> But implementing a true device is a different story.

Yeah... look what happened to you.

No truth there.

Another retarded Lee crack from his lower Le Crack.

Re: cell phone / tablet USB host ?

<aa24438e-4f43-491d-81a6-c244fbb84a36n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89503&group=sci.electronics.design#89503

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2022 13:23:33 -0800 (PST)
From: edward.m...@gmail.com (Ed Lee)
 by: Ed Lee - Sun, 6 Feb 2022 21:23 UTC

On Sunday, February 6, 2022 at 1:14:17 PM UTC-8, DecadentLinux...@decadence.org wrote:
> Ed Lee <edward....@gmail.com> wrote in news:b3d46de3-2da8-478c-
> aaa8-c29f...@googlegroups.com:
> > But implementing a true device is a different story.
> Yeah... look what happened to you.
>
> No truth there.
>
> Another retarded Lee crack from his lower Le Crack.

Silly.

Re: cell phone / tablet USB host ?

<stpejo$ute$1@gonzo.revmaps.no-ip.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89505&group=sci.electronics.design#89505

From: use...@revmaps.no-ip.org (Jasen Betts)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2022 21:29:28 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jasen Betts - Sun, 6 Feb 2022 21:29 UTC

On 2022-02-06, John Larkin <jjlarkin@highlandtechnology.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 06 Feb 2022 10:33:35 -0500, legg <legg@nospam.magma.ca> wrote:
>

>>Recent experience (first) with a Lenovo Tab 8
>>had me scratching my head.
>>
>>It's USB (~charging) port could communicate with a
>>PC for file transfer, but couldn't read a memory stick.
>>This with all the recommended OTG cabling.
>>
>>Why would you stick a communicative USB port on a
>>battery-operated device and then restrict it from
>>acting as a USB host?
>>
>>Is this normal?
>
> It is for USB. Devices are either controllers or targets (formerly
> known as masters and slaves.)
>
> Does anyone know of devices that can do both?

It's called "USB on the go" and is fairly common in portable devices.
such devices will have an mini or micro AB shaped socket, (or more recently many have C)

--
Jasen.

Re: cell phone / tablet USB host ?

<16d15160ccfac0bb$1$3275790$20dd2a6e@news.thecubenet.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89506&group=sci.electronics.design#89506

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: no.s...@please.net (Clifford Heath)
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2022 09:00:12 +1100
 by: Clifford Heath - Sun, 6 Feb 2022 22:00 UTC

On 7/2/22 2:33 am, legg wrote:
> Recent experience (first) with a Lenovo Tab 8
> had me scratching my head.
>
> It's USB (~charging) port could communicate with a
> PC for file transfer, but couldn't read a memory stick.
> This with all the recommended OTG cabling.
>
> Why would you stick a communicative USB port on a
> battery-operated device and then restrict it from
> acting as a USB host?
>
> Is this normal?
>
> Is this sane?
>
> I know there are a multitude of other methods of
> com available for these devices, but why not
> simple USB stick transfer?

I have a Lenovo TB-850SF with Android 10 and it has no problem reading
USB memory sticks. I don't recall having to enable anything.

Google doesn't like local file transfers, because that enables you to
manage content they can't spy on. That can be the only explanation for
why they haven't put an SMB server into Android, and all the standard
file transfer apps are so crap.

Re: cell phone / tablet USB host ?

<c9fae362-e07b-46b5-861a-d7bfcf215a79n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89508&group=sci.electronics.design#89508

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2022 14:06:04 -0800 (PST)
From: edward.m...@gmail.com (Ed Lee)
 by: Ed Lee - Sun, 6 Feb 2022 22:06 UTC

On Sunday, February 6, 2022 at 2:00:25 PM UTC-8, Clifford Heath wrote:
> On 7/2/22 2:33 am, legg wrote:
> > Recent experience (first) with a Lenovo Tab 8
> > had me scratching my head.
> >
> > It's USB (~charging) port could communicate with a
> > PC for file transfer, but couldn't read a memory stick.
> > This with all the recommended OTG cabling.
> >
> > Why would you stick a communicative USB port on a
> > battery-operated device and then restrict it from
> > acting as a USB host?
> >
> > Is this normal?
> >
> > Is this sane?
> >
> > I know there are a multitude of other methods of
> > com available for these devices, but why not
> > simple USB stick transfer?
> I have a Lenovo TB-850SF with Android 10 and it has no problem reading
> USB memory sticks. I don't recall having to enable anything.
>
> Google doesn't like local file transfers, because that enables you to
> manage content they can't spy on. That can be the only explanation for
> why they haven't put an SMB server into Android, and all the standard
> file transfer apps are so crap.

That doesn't make sense. You can do any file transfer with a PC and slave Android.
I prefer to transfer from PC anyway, even will another USB stick on the PC.

Re: cell phone / tablet USB host ?

<8ae05395-09ef-4efd-b41d-4a5f41d9202bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89514&group=sci.electronics.design#89514

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2022 15:16:20 -0800 (PST)
From: whit...@gmail.com (whit3rd)
 by: whit3rd - Sun, 6 Feb 2022 23:16 UTC

On Sunday, February 6, 2022 at 2:06:12 PM UTC-8, Ed Lee wrote:
> On Sunday, February 6, 2022 at 2:00:25 PM UTC-8, Clifford Heath wrote:

> > Google doesn't like local file transfers, because that enables you to
> > manage content they can't spy on. That can be the only explanation for
> > why they haven't put an SMB server into Android, and all the standard
> > file transfer apps are so crap.

> That doesn't make sense. You can do any file transfer with a PC and slave Android.
> I prefer to transfer from PC anyway, even will another USB stick on the PC.

Oh, it makes sense, all right. You can't install an application with 'file transfer'
because you can't access the directory where apps reside. You can't even inspect
the filesystem except within a walled-off area (try, for instance, to find a fonts
folder, or a picture file from a text message).

Maybe there's developer tools that can explore the walled garden...

Re: cell phone / tablet USB host ?

<278ca980-2385-45d8-a2be-d5f76556b10bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89515&group=sci.electronics.design#89515

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2022 15:22:44 -0800 (PST)
From: edward.m...@gmail.com (Ed Lee)
 by: Ed Lee - Sun, 6 Feb 2022 23:22 UTC

On Sunday, February 6, 2022 at 3:16:27 PM UTC-8, whit3rd wrote:
> On Sunday, February 6, 2022 at 2:06:12 PM UTC-8, Ed Lee wrote:
> > On Sunday, February 6, 2022 at 2:00:25 PM UTC-8, Clifford Heath wrote:
>
> > > Google doesn't like local file transfers, because that enables you to
> > > manage content they can't spy on. That can be the only explanation for
> > > why they haven't put an SMB server into Android, and all the standard
> > > file transfer apps are so crap.
>
> > That doesn't make sense. You can do any file transfer with a PC and slave Android.
> > I prefer to transfer from PC anyway, even will another USB stick on the PC.
> Oh, it makes sense, all right. You can't install an application with 'file transfer'
> because you can't access the directory where apps reside. You can't even inspect
> the filesystem except within a walled-off area (try, for instance, to find a fonts
> folder, or a picture file from a text message).
>
> Maybe there's developer tools that can explore the walled garden...

You can do it all with rooted device. The protection is for accidental messing up of files, just like a typical Linux system.

Re: cell phone / tablet USB host ?

<a6d3ac1c-28a2-4e1f-9fc4-1d07d1c832cfn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89518&group=sci.electronics.design#89518

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2022 16:38:07 -0800 (PST)
From: edward.m...@gmail.com (Ed Lee)
 by: Ed Lee - Mon, 7 Feb 2022 00:38 UTC

On Sunday, February 6, 2022 at 3:22:52 PM UTC-8, Ed Lee wrote:
> On Sunday, February 6, 2022 at 3:16:27 PM UTC-8, whit3rd wrote:

> > > That doesn't make sense. You can do any file transfer with a PC and slave Android.
> > > I prefer to transfer from PC anyway, even will another USB stick on the PC.
> > Oh, it makes sense, all right. You can't install an application with 'file transfer'
> > because you can't access the directory where apps reside. You can't even inspect
> > the filesystem except within a walled-off area (try, for instance, to find a fonts
> > folder, or a picture file from a text message).
> >
> > Maybe there's developer tools that can explore the walled garden...
> You can do it all with rooted device. The protection is for accidental messing up of files, just like a typical Linux system.

By the way, why can't you install apps or transfer files with ADB (Android Debugger)? ADB will take care of all the details without rooting (by-passing security) the device. And if you must root it, be sure to turn off the cell radio, or your phone is wide open to Russa, China, Iran, N. Korea, etc.. There are reasons for the phone's tight security.

Re: cell phone / tablet USB host ?

<stq1u9$1889$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89536&group=sci.electronics.design#89536

From: Decadent...@decadence.org
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2022 02:59:21 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Decadent...@decadence.org - Mon, 7 Feb 2022 02:59 UTC

whit3rd <whit3rd@gmail.com> wrote in

> On Sunday, February 6, 2022 at 2:06:12 PM UTC-8, Ed Lee wrote:
>> On Sunday, February 6, 2022 at 2:00:25 PM UTC-8, Clifford Heath
>> wrote:
>
>> > Google doesn't like local file transfers, because that enables
>> > you to manage content they can't spy on. That can be the only
>> > explanation for why they haven't put an SMB server into
>> > Android, and all the standard file transfer apps are so crap.
>
>> That doesn't make sense. You can do any file transfer with a PC
>> and slave Android. I prefer to transfer from PC anyway, even will
>> another USB stick on the PC.
>
> Oh, it makes sense, all right. You can't install an application
> with 'file transfer' because you can't access the directory where
> apps reside. You can't even inspect the filesystem except within
> a walled-off area (try, for instance, to find a fonts folder, or a
> picture file from a text message).
>
> Maybe there's developer tools that can explore the walled
> garden...

Yeah, one has to have a "fully jailbroke" phone to get access to
those areas, but some carriers do not allow such 'behavior'.

I have a phone I never used that had two sim card slots in it and
Verizon would not put it on their plan or system. I was so pissed.
It is for folks that travel to Europe a lot or Israel. No need to
switch phones or have two or any of that nonsense. I still want to
get it and see if ATT will let me use it. It is only about 5 years
old now, but it was a top notch "Viewsonic" phine. I don't know if
they are still is or ever got going in the cell phone world, but it
was cool for its time.

Re: cell phone / tablet USB host ?

<v9l80hdbih2h3tkfgrkaim2k50og9m6puk@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89714&group=sci.electronics.design#89714

From: leg...@nospam.magma.ca (legg)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2022 19:10:42 -0500
 by: legg - Thu, 10 Feb 2022 00:10 UTC

On Sun, 06 Feb 2022 10:33:35 -0500, legg <legg@nospam.magma.ca> wrote:

>Recent experience (first) with a Lenovo Tab 8
>had me scratching my head.
>
>It's USB (~charging) port could communicate with a
>PC for file transfer, but couldn't read a memory stick.
>This with all the recommended OTG cabling.
>
>Why would you stick a communicative USB port on a
>battery-operated device and then restrict it from
>acting as a USB host?
>
>Is this normal?
>
>Is this sane?
>
>I know there are a multitude of other methods of
>com available for these devices, but why not
>simple USB stick transfer?
>
>RL

OK - I finally found a micro-usb 3 to USB adapter with
the correct pin grounded (connection between ground and
adjacent 'I/O' pin, NOT the center pin)

With this usb pin connection, the TAB 8 reads memory
sticks on the usb port without system setting adjustments.
It just recognizes the connecting - flags a notice to
the user and opens the drive when the notice is tapped
(maybe tapped a few times - hard to tell with this screen).

All the other micro-usb hardware I had was missing this
connection. I asked Mohamed at the cell phone shop
next door to keep an eye out for one. His supplier had
just that - one adapter. Now it's mine. Nobody else
can have it.

I actually went through a couple of places checking to
see if ANY of their micro-usb connectors or peripherals
had this connection. (have socket with pin sensors
attached) NADA.

So when someone says it's USB OTG, measure it.

Might be worth kludging the contact permanently if ever
the TAB 8 is in the shop for battery, screen or other
repairs.

RL

Re: cell phone / tablet USB host ?

<d625fa57-c3ac-4392-bf29-e7c25433ea60n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89715&group=sci.electronics.design#89715

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2022 16:18:41 -0800 (PST)
From: langw...@fonz.dk (Lasse Langwadt Christensen)
 by: Lasse Langwadt Chris - Thu, 10 Feb 2022 00:18 UTC

torsdag den 10. februar 2022 kl. 01.10.36 UTC+1 skrev legg:
> On Sun, 06 Feb 2022 10:33:35 -0500, legg <le...@nospam.magma.ca> wrote:
>

> >Recent experience (first) with a Lenovo Tab 8
> >had me scratching my head.
> >
> >It's USB (~charging) port could communicate with a
> >PC for file transfer, but couldn't read a memory stick.
> >This with all the recommended OTG cabling.
> >
> >Why would you stick a communicative USB port on a
> >battery-operated device and then restrict it from
> >acting as a USB host?
> >
> >Is this normal?
> >
> >Is this sane?
> >
> >I know there are a multitude of other methods of
> >com available for these devices, but why not
> >simple USB stick transfer?
> >
> >RL
> OK - I finally found a micro-usb 3 to USB adapter with
> the correct pin grounded (connection between ground and
> adjacent 'I/O' pin, NOT the center pin)
>
> With this usb pin connection, the TAB 8 reads memory
> sticks on the usb port without system setting adjustments.
> It just recognizes the connecting - flags a notice to
> the user and opens the drive when the notice is tapped
> (maybe tapped a few times - hard to tell with this screen).
>
> All the other micro-usb hardware I had was missing this
> connection. I asked Mohamed at the cell phone shop
> next door to keep an eye out for one. His supplier had
> just that - one adapter. Now it's mine. Nobody else
> can have it.
>
> I actually went through a couple of places checking to
> see if ANY of their micro-usb connectors or peripherals
> had this connection. (have socket with pin sensors
> attached) NADA.
>
> So when someone says it's USB OTG, measure it.
>
> Might be worth kludging the contact permanently if ever
> the TAB 8 is in the shop for battery, screen or other
> repairs.

but then it can't be a device anymore so you can't connect it to a PC

Re: cell phone / tablet USB host ?

<16d252cb1e621dfd$19$657554$26dd2c6e@news.thecubenet.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89727&group=sci.electronics.design#89727

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: no.s...@please.net (Clifford Heath)
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 15:37:25 +1100
 by: Clifford Heath - Thu, 10 Feb 2022 04:37 UTC

On 10/2/22 11:10 am, legg wrote:
> It just recognizes the connecting - flags a notice to
> the user and opens the drive when the notice is tapped
> (maybe tapped a few times - hard to tell with this screen).

Or you can just open the Google Files app, or whatever other file
manager you prefer.

Re: cell phone / tablet USB host ?

<b0da0h548c3c6s1rstg4eblrdpo5l5fuhi@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89760&group=sci.electronics.design#89760

From: leg...@nospam.magma.ca (legg)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 10:51:54 -0500
 by: legg - Thu, 10 Feb 2022 15:51 UTC

On Thu, 10 Feb 2022 15:37:25 +1100, Clifford Heath
<no.spam@please.net> wrote:

>On 10/2/22 11:10 am, legg wrote:
>> It just recognizes the connecting - flags a notice to
>> the user and opens the drive when the notice is tapped
>> (maybe tapped a few times - hard to tell with this screen).
>
>Or you can just open the Google Files app, or whatever other file
>manager you prefer.

Yeah, well, finding files after transfer is another
issue.

Files and folders don't seem to show repeatable
navigation - dependent on where listed and
how approached in the GUI

RL